Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2957 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled
25. Re: Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled Jun 15, 2015, 01:47 jacobvandy

Back during the paid mods thing, Bethesda mentioned less than 8% of Skyrim players have used mods at all, and that 20 million+ copies figure is from two years ago during E3 2013. So we know it's a significantly higher number now, just not how much higher.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout 4 in November
49. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 01:36 jacobvandy

Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 01:30:
Of much greater concern than visuals is the apparent lack of skills in the game. During the character creation, there were only attributes. No skills. Not sure if they just skipped the skills for the demo or if the skill system has been removed entirely, but given the changes to the dialogue system, I wouldn't be surprised if the skill system is a thing of the past.

Todd mentioned struggling to keep a lid on the new perks in the post-interview (in response to a fucking pointless Twitter question, "what perk do you wish you had in real life?"), so I'm sure they just left that stuff out.

News Comments > DOOM Next Spring
13. Re: Doom Next Spring Jun 15, 2015, 01:34 jacobvandy

Yeah, the executive producer guy made it pretty clear in the post-interview that the finishing moves are meant for people who suck at shooting enough to let things get right up in their face, lol. Being able to basically insta-kill common enemies up close helps to preserve their admittedly noble goal of keeping the pace of gameplay flowing.

It's too bad they've relegated the chainsaw to fan-service gimmick by making it function the same way... They should've just let you cleave through common enemies more fluidly, without the canned animation, and then made it work like it did before on bigger enemies. That is, you get up in their face and drain health so long as you're grinding into them. Maybe have special kill strokes for the bigger guys only, for a satisfying end to a prolonged battle that has apparently left you with no ammo remaining.

News Comments > DOOM Next Spring
10. Re: Doom Next Spring Jun 15, 2015, 01:19 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 00:21:
nin wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 23:58:
I'd give it a shot. Looks good, so far. Reminds me of Serious Sam, and that's not a bad thing.

Funny, I had the same thought with the speed and the number of enemies.

The trailer has way more enemies than the slower, more deliberate gameplay demo did, which I'm happy about. Nothing on Serious Sam scale, yet, but definitely more in the vein of the classic DOOM (with the difficulty up a notch or two).

38. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 01:10 jacobvandy

Slick wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 01:03:
Cram wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 01:01:
@Slick

A lot of people on this forum would love to have an actual converstion or debate, but your post (#14) just came out attacking the opinions of BluesNews regulars first before discussing your thoughts on the game. What reaction did you honestly expect?

"jesus, it's so embarrassing how people can get so excited for some things, and completely gloss over the abhorrent garbage. "

You invited the hate on purpose. We call this trolling. If you had actually wanted to have a discussion, you would have gone about your post VERY differently. Bye.

good thing you edited out your personal attack, you're obviously taking the high road

the discussion was: "this looks amazing" x 13 posts. then i interjected by pointing out the easily observable fact that no, it does not look amazing. it might play amazing. but it looks far from amazing.

Wait, are... Did you just state the the entire basis of your trolling -- sorry, completely balanced and constructive contribution to this discussion -- is that you took the phrase "it looks amazing" to mean that it exhibited the most advanced and detailed graphical rendering of a virtual world ever to exist? Then because everyone else didn't seem to say anything otherwise, you took them to be complicit in this sentiment and took it upon yourself to set everyone straight? You are worse than Sheldon.

34. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 01:02 jacobvandy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch#Titles

In case any of you fanbois have forgotten!

27. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 00:51 jacobvandy

No, you're absolutely right. We should start a petition or something, man, something has to be done about it! Fallout 4 looks exactly the fucking same as Oblivion! I can't believe I've been so blind, it's uncanny: http://i.imgur.com/q8iFFXL.jpg  

15. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 00:20 jacobvandy

Slick wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 00:14:
this looks like an xbox360 launch title.

And you accuse others of being stuck in a "reality-distortion bubble?"

13. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 14, 2015, 23:51 jacobvandy

Seriously, I was sitting and watching slack-jawed at all this stuff, the incredibly in-depth customization and emergent gameplay systems they're including... And you know that's just the tip of the iceberg, there's still an entire game full of pre-existing content alongside of the sandbox stuff you can do that any number of studios would consider sufficient to be its own game. This is why Bethesda Game Studios is legend; despite how cool the new DOOM looked, they couldn't anchor their own press conference with that. They filled up that theater and had more than half a million people watching online to see Fallout. And they didn't disappoint.

Well, except that the most interesting mobile game I've ever seen seems to be an iOS exclusive...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 14, 2015, 14:21 jacobvandy

It's pretty amazing that GTA V by itself has remained in the top sellers throughout the sale so far, considering those other bundles including more stuff for the same price are still available. Are that many people actively avoiding the in-game currency?  

News Comments > Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled
6. Re: Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled Jun 14, 2015, 14:18 jacobvandy

I heard the audio, and it doesn't say Dishonored anything, but "we are honored to blahblah." Not to say they won't be announcing it, but this is a massive snowball of wishful thinking at best, rumor-mongering click bait at worst.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
32. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 12, 2015, 05:17 jacobvandy

They are effectively free items. Technically they are bundles. $79.99 (give or take a few cents) represents the total value of GTA V as well as GTA San Andreas (regular price $15) and a Tiger Shark card (regular price $5) OR as well as a Great White Shark card (regular price $20). You'll notice there's another bundle valued at $84.97 with Max Payne 3 (regular price $20) and a Tiger Shark card. Obviously the value of a package deal is higher than the value of one of its individual components... Are you really disputing the legality of bundles on Steam? Good luck with that.  

30. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 12, 2015, 04:01 jacobvandy

It's illegal to give away free stuff in Canada? That seems to contradict some of the things I've heard.  

28. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 12, 2015, 03:55 jacobvandy

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 02:30:
FYI for any canucks, you should be filing a complaint with the competition bureau on the pricing change. It's illegal to raise a price, and claim a discounted price like that. And before someone goes hur-dur-dur-america, since Steam/Valve sell a product in Canada directly to Canadians, in Canadian pricing, they're directly subject to the same laws.

Except they didn't change the price of GTA V... They're offering special bundles that include other games and/or in-game cash for free. Don't waste your time and theirs.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced
44. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 12, 2015, 03:00 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 02:25:
PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 01:25:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 19:46:
Win 10 is free only if you're running Win 7 or above.

Like anyone serious about gaming is running XP or ME? Pull the other one, it's got bells on......

Lots of people still on Vista.

Less than 1% of PC gamers according to Steam stats. Even less than the number of poor saps still clinging to XP, lol.

22. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 12, 2015, 00:30 jacobvandy

Saboth wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 22:50:
Mine finally seemed to work. Guess you just scroll back and forth between the 3 screens clicking repeatedly. Were these games where you click a million times created by Logitech, Razer and doctors that treat RSI?

If you're manually clicking, you're doinitwrong.

This game was designed around the assumption that people would use automatic clicking macros. That is to say, you gain an advantage by doing so, but you still can't set it up and go AFK for hours; the multiple targets on multiple screens mean you're wasting a lot of those clicks if you're not there to babysit the cursor.

Basically how it goes is, around 1,000 people are connected to the same game session, able to click on the same monsters simultaneously. But the vast majority of players in each game aren't even there... Once you join a game for the first time, it holds your place and you continue to "participate" to some degree even when the game isn't loaded in your browser. So the actual monster killing is done by a couple dozen active participants who are auto-clicking upwards of 100 times per second.

The point of all this is to get your 3 free trading cards per day. Yeah, instead of voting on a community choice poll every 8 hours, big stats like total clicks and bosses killed unlock special deals for the next day of the sale. So far they suck ass, lol. I thought you might be able to upgrade your badge by playing, like maybe with every boss you kill, because there is a separate one for the minigame itself. But no, you craft your badge from trading cards over and over, and the higher level that is, you get special abilities that help you play the minigame better and better... For no particular reason that I have found yet.

7. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jun 11, 2015, 19:02 jacobvandy

DangerDog wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 18:23:
Trevellian wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 17:28:
GTAV is NOT 30% off.

In fact Rockstar went out of their way to be dicks about it.
Made 3 bundles with Shark Cards or other games with GTAV that all come out to 59.99 no matter how you want to get the game.

Kind of a dick move if you ask me.

I read someones post thinking that they did this to avoid refunds, something about the way the Shark Cards being bundled means you won't be eligible for Steams new refund policy.

I wasn't aware that so many people were willing to download 60GB of data to get a 2-hour trial of a Grand Theft Auto game... Rolleyes

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Announced
6. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Announced Jun 11, 2015, 13:09 jacobvandy

It's just a poorly worded press blurb. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a standard template where they fill in the blanks with specific details, which is why it can sound like Mad Libs at times. Looks like they're using the Indie Action Sequel (Reluctant Anti-hero) variant:

[GAME TITLE] is the [HYPERBOLE FOR "SEQUEL"] of [DEVELOPER]ís offbeat [GENRE] following the further misadventures of [DESCRIPTION OF PROTAGONIST]. Now surviving as a reclusive [PROTAGONIST'S PROFESSION] on the edge of a corrupted world, the formidable warrior must again wield a devastating combination of [BRIEF ARSENAL OVERVIEW] and wit to strike down the [DESCRIPTION OF ANTAGONIST(S)] overwhelming the world. Battle [LIST OF PLAYER MODES] in spectacular [LEVEL DESIGN BUZZWORD] landscapes to complete daring missions and collect powerful new [BRIEF LOOT OVERVIEW].

I'm guessing the same content can be played co-op or solo.

News Comments > The Bards Tale Trilogy for The Bards Tale IV Backers
7. Re: The Bards Tale Trilogy for The Bards Tale IV Backers Jun 11, 2015, 04:04 jacobvandy

He's just confusing "stalled" with "continuing at a normal pace following the initial rush of pledges that every anticipated crowdfunding campaign sees in the first few days."  

News Comments > Toy Soldiers: War Chest Adds More Toy Soldiers
2. Re: Toy Soldiers: War Chest Adds More Toy Soldiers Jun 11, 2015, 00:20 jacobvandy

The action figure aesthetic is actually a pretty cool one for a game, but they're not doing it right.  

2957 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo