Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2302 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Sep 11, 2014, 14:19 jacobvandy

Hilarious and spot-on, as usual. They really squandered the combat on a game that is otherwise uninspired. Not worth $40 at all.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
139. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 17:52 jacobvandy

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but a Minecraft movie is already in the works AFAIK.  

57. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 12:18 jacobvandy

They've sold upwards of 55 million copies across all platforms by now, which actually eclipses the past couple generations of Pokemon by a fair margin (Black & White 1 and 2 sold 23 million since 2010, and X & Y have sold 12 million since 2013). Pokemon is on the decline, while Minecraft has shot up to heights in a few years that even the first generation of Pokemon did not match (Red/Blue/Yellow combined sold around 31 million since 1996).

Keep in mind that this is despite Mojang's being completely too small and naive an outfit to properly manage the breakaway success, on top of them being uninterested in doing a bunch of sequels and spin-offs and yadda yadda yadda. You put a huge PR department behind promotion and licensing and some legit R&D behind coming up with new products and game concepts... It has the potential to be as someone mentioned, this generation's Mario, forget Pokemon.

50. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 11:51 jacobvandy

Has anyone even considered the fact that Minecraft as a property is pretty much at Pokemon-level mass appeal and recognition at this point? Go to any store that carries kids' toys and you'll see all sorts of Minecraft shit. Action figures, LEGO sets, plushies, costumes, toy swords and torches and pickaxes... That's in addition to it being one of the most popular brands of T-shirts and knick-knacks online in places like Jinx and Think Geek. If your mind boggles at how much money they're still raking in with the game itself, well, the merch is probably equaling or surpassing all of that by this point.

Continue milking the current version on all platforms, create a sequel with cutesy cartoon graphics (still blocky, just not... as shitty) on all platforms again to re-invigorate software sales and create a whole new line of merch, and $2 billion is a fucking bargain. Some people should get their heads out of the sand, or at least admit just how out of touch they really are.

News Comments > Resident Evil 5, Dead Rising 2, and Off The Record Moving to Steamworks
6. Re: Resident Evil 5, Dead Rising 2, and Off The Record Moving to Steamworks Sep 9, 2014, 14:06 jacobvandy

Well Capcom is among the relative few that have been going back and updating several games in their catalog for Steamworks. They've already done Lost Planet and SSFIV. The only others I can think of are Relic with Dawn of War 2, Codemasters with F1 and DIRT, and Rocksteady/WB with the first two Arkhams.  

News Comments > The Repopulation Teaser Trailer
3. Re: The Repopulation Teaser Trailer Sep 9, 2014, 11:06 jacobvandy

You have to opt-in to the full PVP experience in this game, too...  

News Comments > Another Diablo III Season Exploit
6. Re: Another Diablo III Season Exploit Sep 9, 2014, 07:45 jacobvandy

This is a bug with patch 2.1 on the whole, it just so happens to be very useful for cheating your way up the leaderboards in the season. (The gist of it is there's a way to get the difficulty level XP bonus to apply to what you earn inside of great rifts, which are designed to be sterile environments that scale independent of difficulty.) I'm sure there have been as many or more people abusing it to crank out paragon levels on their standard characters. And exploiting this is definitely about 1,000x worse than grinding easy bounties to get up to 70 quickly.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews Sep 8, 2014, 07:53 jacobvandy

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 23:50:
I found Mac's YouTube channels by chance a few years ago; now I always look forward to his posts for a good laugh.

The only problem he has is that he's extremely misogynistic which has already gotten him some heat. He did a review of a Fire and Rescue game that just went too far.

I think his stuff is great, but kids watch his channel and Worth a Buy is getting more popular, so I think he really needs to reign in the highly offensive stuff.

Okay Mr. FCC Chairman... God forbid parents do some parenting themselves! Rolleyes

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2014, 07:45 jacobvandy

The first time I tried State of Decay, i felt the same way. You have to stick it out through the dinky tutorial area and (unfortunately) some more tutorial-type quests after that before it really opens up. Still, though, it does get too repetitive after a while.  

News Comments > PopCap Founder Pops Out
36. Re: PopCap Founder Pops Out Sep 7, 2014, 11:13 jacobvandy

Redmask wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 10:42:
Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 18:57:
How the fuck ISIS is our problem? These guys just want what they've wanted all along, westerners out of their countries.

You really need to spend some time in Iraq, its pretty obvious from your comments that your sheltered world view emerges from a complete lack of personal experience. These people don't want to be left alone, they want to create an entire world in their narrow view. It's not exactly a grand vision either, go look at how they live and treat their own. Seriously stop being a keyboard warrior, go visit Iraq and then talk to us about your perspective. I guarantee it will not be the same.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander

That's not how geopolitics works.

So when they come over here wanting to start taking hostages and cutting off heads and covering up our women, that's when we blow them to smithereens. This Orwellian perpetual war over there against nameless and faceless for no reason bullshit should not sit well with anyone. An entire generation of kids is growing up in countries who have never not been at war for their entire lives... That's fucking shameful.

News Comments > PopCap Founder Pops Out
7. Re: PopCap Founder Pops Out Sep 6, 2014, 15:16 jacobvandy

MUGWUMP wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 13:43:
War abolition?

While being a pacifist is admirable, I believe reality trumps idealism every time.

You can't play nice with people who cut peoples heads off. They only know violence, and then you have the people who simply want to watch the world burn.

Yup, swallow up that propaganda... Gangs in Mexico less than 100 miles from our border are cutting people's heads off on a weekly basis, but you see one video in mainstream corporate media of one incident happening 10,000 miles away (that has never been proven authentic, btw, if they're trying to shock you then why didn't they show the actual beheading?) and suddenly you want to go to war in that god-forsaken desert, AGAIN? Hook, line, sinker.

/off-topic

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2014, 13:44 jacobvandy

Just another example of crying sexism being sexism in and of itself...  

News Comments > Diablo III Mid-Season Nerf
12. Re: Diablo III Mid-Season Nerf Sep 4, 2014, 16:51 jacobvandy

Optional nickname wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 16:33:
PHJF wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 10:41:
I'd not played for a couple months waiting for 2.1.0, but after this shit, I'm completely done with D3. Having a game that doesn't "begin" until level 70 is monumentally fucking stupid, the worst of a laundry list of horrible design decisions carried over from fucking MMO Design 101.

Working as intended. Blizzard knows, EVERYONE knows, that Diablo 1 , and D2, (and D3 supposed to) were and are, better games than World of Warcraft. Since the very inception of D3, it is clear as a glaciers' 1000ft colon, that Blizzard does not want people playing Diablo 3, instead of paying to play World of Warcraft,

this is the sole reason for the countless Nerfs, it is the Anti-Fun agency riding high, getting people back to sustain the WOW cash money bag marquee, until there is really nothing left to do for Blizzard, except to finally one day, give in. which they won't. The successor to WOW is brewing, it should come alongside Half Life 3.

/I know how corporations work.

I will have zero remorse to all the Devs and CEO's in charge up there responsible for the heartache that D3 brought to its franchise, to disenchant us all, once they get into their deathbeds. Zero Fucks to be given then, as now. Thank you for Pissing all over our Diablo 3, you douchebags. spineless. absolutely disgusting.

I guess it's news to you that the vast majority of the changes from 2.0 on have been buffs then, huh? GJ spewing complete bullshit. It's easy to skim over "big stories" like this one and presume what you are, though, I guess... Can't be arsed to read actual patch notes where 99% of skill changes are either beneficial re-works or just straight damage increases, right? Nevermind all the enhanced legendary traits or ones they added to items that didn't have one before. So they added a new rare mini-dungeon that showers you in tens of millions of gold? WHO GIVES A FUCK, the next day they removed a guaranteed goblin spawn that prevents us from farming it somewhat efficiently!!! Rolleyes

I have no idea what sort of whacked out psychology you subscribe to, either, where feeling like D3 sucks magically instills this desire in you to go subscribe to and play WoW. As if that audience is the only group who plays Diablo? There are certainly millions like myself that have never touched that MMO.

News Comments > Uncut Left 4 Dead 2 Cleared in AU
4. Re: Uncut Left 4 Dead 2 Cleared in AU Sep 2, 2014, 14:31 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 13:41:
I wonder how it was censored. No blood? No flying body parts? No spitter titties?

It was the gore, dismemberment and such. They even changed the cover art so that instead of two fingers on the zombie hand being missing (leaving the other two up in a 'V' like you would to signify the number), the two fingers were intact and folded down.

News Comments > City of Heroes Revival?
5. Re: City of Heroes Revival? Sep 2, 2014, 13:44 jacobvandy

Marvel Heroes is an okay free-to-play game, but to compare it to CoH is pretty strange... It's a completely different genre. (And since it's licensed you have 995707 actual Spider-Mans and Iron Mans and Hulks running around, lol, it looks ridiculous.)  

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 23:35 jacobvandy

Chris Roberts did not finish Freelancer... From Wikipedia:

In 1997, Chris Roberts began work on a vision he had since he first conceived Wing Commander. He wanted to realize a virtual galaxy, whose systems execute their own programs regardless of the players' presence; cities would be bustling with transports and each world's weather changes on its own time. Commodity prices in each star system would fluctuate, according to the activities of the computer controlled traders, who import and export goods. Roberts envisioned thousands of players simultaneously interacting with and influencing this world through a unique and intuitive user interface never seen before in other games. Each player could pursue a quest set up for their character, and join other players to attempt other missions together without needing to exit the game and start a new mode of play. Artificial intelligence would fly the players' spacecraft, letting them concentrate on combat or other tasks. Roberts intended the cutscenes and gameplay visuals to be of equal quality so players would be unable to distinguish between the two.[35][36]

Sound familiar?

Two years later, the project was officially announced as Freelancer at GameStock, an annual showcase to the mass media of Microsoft's games.[37] The media covered the event, focusing on the features promised for this game. There were concerns about the state of the graphics and uncertainties over the promise of a dynamic economy, but gaming site GameSpot gave Roberts and his company, Digital Anvil, the benefit of their doubts.[38] Initially in 1999, Roberts announced the game would be available on the market by fall 2000.[35] However, the project suffered delays and by Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2000, Roberts said the earliest release for the game was at the end of 2001.[6]

In June 2000, Microsoft started talks to buy Digital Anvil. Roberts admitted that his team required large sums of money, which only a huge company could provide, to continue developing Freelancer with its "wildly ambitious" features and unpredictable schedule; the project had overshot its original development projection of three years by 18 months. Roberts trusted that Microsoft would not compromise his vision for Freelancer, and was convinced the software giant would not attempt the takeover if it did not believe Freelancer could sell at least 500,000 copies when released.[39] Roberts left the company on completion of the deal, but assumed a creative consultant role on Freelancer until its release.[40] Microsoft instructed Digital Anvil to scale down the ambitions of the project and focus on finishing the game based on what was possible and the team's strengths.[14][20]

Star Citizen is what Freelancer was meant to (but failed to) be. It was still a good game, but it was only saved from development hell and actually released in decent shape when Microsoft reigned it in. Who the fuck says "oh man, we need millions of dollars if we're gonna realize this vision," and then bails on the project when that deal is made? Either Chris Roberts cut his losses and cashed out while the gettin' was good, or even a juggernaut publisher wasn't insane enough to throw as much money at the project as he thought it deserved (yet he still made the deal and left). That is precisely the source of my own personal doubts about Star Citizen. This guy is not worthy of being entrusted with tens of millions of dollars, IMO.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 31, 2014, 14:36 jacobvandy

Because they delayed the upper half of the 800 series so long, that the 900m series is already near, and they're trying to sync up the naming schemes. They're not actually skipping the 800s, they're just renaming them. They skipped the 300s too, if you recall.  

News Comments > Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining
10. Re: Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining Aug 30, 2014, 15:50 jacobvandy

Not necessarily, it's just a matter of patience. The first hardcore character to beat Malthael on T6 took literally hours, because he had dumped so much into toughness over damage. With a decent group and average builds, it's feasible.  

News Comments > Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining
6. Re: Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining Aug 30, 2014, 14:51 jacobvandy

It's obvious short-sightedness on their part, to allow adventure mode and torment difficulties be immediately available on what is supposed to be a fresh slate for the season. Cheesing through easy bounties wouldn't be such a big deal if you had to work up to unlocking them first. Or maybe they just shouldn't allow adventure mode be used at all.  

News Comments > Morning Patches
2. Re: Morning Patches Aug 29, 2014, 13:59 jacobvandy

LMAO, yeah, as soon as I realized I could get 140 mil from one trip to the vault (near maxed GF on T6), I heard about the guaranteed spawn and decided to go after it for a bit... Literally an hour or so before I tried and didn't find one, they had hotfixed it. I understand why in that particular situation, though... The gold you get in there is fucking bananas (plus loot from the boss) and it's meant to be an occasional piņata, not a money tree you can pretty reliably farm. Just go about your business farming cache legs (I'm still trying to get a Helltrapper for my Marauder DH x_x), and enjoy the diversion when it crops up.

As for greater rifts, it's actually better to just sit there and run out of time on the first wave of the trial, so you get a level 1 greater rift stone. You'll blow through it and the boss will still have a pretty good chance at dropping a legendary or two. Then you'll work up in difficulty, depending on how fast you clear, up until you can't get any higher. Once you're rolling, it's the most efficient way to gather loot. In the mid- to upper-20's I usually pull 3-5 legs from each boss, including a gem until I got pretty much all of them. (Side note, I didn't notice a level requirement on those bad boys... Haven't tried yet, but might be really good for alts.)

At any rate, I'm glad they fixed the issues with missing attributes on those quivers. And the first season starts in 7 hours! I'm really looking forward to that.

2302 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo