Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2871 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Win10 Gamer Primer
34. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 18:34 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 17:37:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 15:35:
There will be PC games that are built to support that in the near future.

How many not supported with $$$ from MS? Because you have two issues to just do it alone... Once bitten, twice shy. And we have an established standard in Steam. I think it is a long road ahead or general non-paid developers to support this and Steam. I won't even say good luck because honestly I don't need it, they blew it years and years ago and I don't really have any faith in them doing it right and beneficial to us now.

If it's a game that is also on Xbox, they already did the work. It's going to be like a few years ago, when a game you get on Steam might also have the Live overlay. Doing this is a big win for MS, all they have to do is get a large portion of games supporting it and they'll have a better standing to start charging PC gamers subscriptions for it, too. I don't want it either, but I can see it coming.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
34. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 18:12 jacobvandy

Mac wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 16:42:
descender wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 16:13:
Believe it or not, there are a LOT of games on Steam that don't actually use ANY DRM to run. This list is basically every game available on Steam (probably outdated though) that doesn't use the Steam CEG or a third party DRM like uPlay/etc.

"Believe it or not", but Steam is DRM!

They can remotely rescind your license to play a game you have bought at any time!

Believe it or not, so can GOG! Downloading games from both services relies on your account being in good standing... He was pointing out that tons of games on Steam work fine without Steam even being installed on your machine, let alone without you being logged in. The only difference is getting a manual installation package vs. having it installed automatically -- both options result in game files being on your computer that operate independently, i.e. without any DRM whatsoever.

News Comments > Win10 Gamer Primer
29. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 15:35 jacobvandy

Desalus wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 13:52:
"As gamers, one of the coolest features coming with Windows 10 is the Xbox app."

Am I missing something or is the Xbox app completely worthless if you don't own a Xbox One? Microsoft makes it sound like PC gamers should be excited about it regardless of whether or not they own a XBONE, but to me it looks like the app is entirely tied into owning the console.

People aren't talking about this much, but as far as I'm aware, you'll be able to login to your Xbox Live account for cross-platform friends and chat and achievements... GFWL was a failure, so now they're just integrating XBL into Windows. There will be PC games that are built to support that in the near future.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2015, 14:18 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 14:00:
Your body, the battery- Powering gadgets from human “biofuel.”

Given how much most people over eat, siphoning off calories to run phones is a good idea.

Exactly! Who needs a pedometer when you could have an app showing how many calories you've burned powering your phone through those Candy Crush marathon play sessions?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 20, 2015, 13:58 jacobvandy

Isn't it funny how actually believing in otherworldly entities is considered insane in our overwhelmingly theist society?  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2015, 13:55 jacobvandy

Fair enough, the assumptions apply only if the answers to the first two questions are both no.

Rising to several gigabytes for a single instance sounds like a memory leak, though. I can't blame you for using something else if that happens to you a lot.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2015, 13:15 jacobvandy

Verno wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 11:38:
It's still not up to snuff with Chrome in that regard but at least it isn't eating memory like Chrome does.

Are you running into issues where you're short on RAM? Do you need it available for something else? Might be time to upgrade beyond 4GB. Or, if you have more, to get over the compulsive insistence that you have as much system memory free as possible at all times... I rarely see Chrome tabs take more than 25-50MB each, it depends on the website. Takes less than 300MB for the browser itself. But my point is, even if it's more, what does it matter? RAM is cheap, and why not use it if you have it? No point in treating it like the fine china you never take out of the cabinet.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Website
13. Re: Fallout 4 Website Jul 20, 2015, 02:05 jacobvandy

jimnms wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 21:18:
ventry wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 19:57:
Just finished reading comments in the previous Fallout 4 story.
Wow! What a bunch of whinging, bitching, pissin' & moanin', complaining, crying, grizzling, self-entitled, spoiled rotten BRATS!

Everything we have seen so far has been from console version.
Q: How do you know the PC version will be the same?? (re: textures, lighting, etc.)
A: You don't know shit.

Q: When has Bethesda ever done anything different for the PC than the console?
A: Never

HD textures DLC for Skyrim, most recently...

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC
11. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC Jul 19, 2015, 13:56 jacobvandy

JayDeath wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 13:05:
This game screams for a new game plus option. I was very disappointed when I finished and saw that there wasn't one.

A reference to NG+ was datamined like a week after the game came out, so it's probably on the way. They must be having trouble with it and/or some of the other DLCs they've been working on, since they've stretched out the schedule. Not only are they down to one per week now, they skipped a week, too.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 18, 2015, 13:23 jacobvandy

Stop trying to pretend this is some killer feature for Windows gamers. It's not. I really hope I will be able to remove any Xbox nonsense Win10 installs for me...  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
41. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 12:48 jacobvandy

Jerykk wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 04:05:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 02:16:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 00:52:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 23:28:
Wasn't all this shown a few weeks back?

No, this video has some new footage.

It was new the morning after the game was announced, when they showed it again during the MS conference. This is that exact demo reel.

It seems the industry on the whole likes to recycle this stuff a month later, putting out official clean video of what they showed in LA.

Watch the full video. There is footage that has never been shown before (looking at the stats on the PipBoy, talking to the NPC in the town, etc). The E3 reel had parts of this video but not everything.

I did... A month ago, I watched it live on stage with Todd narrating. Look here if you don't believe me, compare shot for shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRFAuDOlK5Q

Blue even says in the blurb that it's from E3. It says Phil Spencer on the Pip-boy, which they did for that specific presentation. The stuff you're referring to was not in the original reveal video from the Bethesda conference, but it was shown the next day, for Microsoft.

27. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 02:16 jacobvandy

Jerykk wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 00:52:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 23:28:
Wasn't all this shown a few weeks back?

No, this video has some new footage.

It was new the morning after the game was announced, when they showed it again during the MS conference. This is that exact demo reel.

It seems the industry on the whole likes to recycle this stuff a month later, putting out official clean video of what they showed in LA.

21. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 00:38 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 23:26:
The Fahking Powah Aaahmah looks pretty cool. I'm guessing it was just there as a "use once in this mission" kinda deal.

I believe that to be the first time you use it, but once you have your own set of armor, you keep it and can use it, upgrading it to be more powerful as you go along. Maybe some kind of consumable fuel requirement so you're not in it the whole time.

I'm holding my judgment on the game as a whole until I play it. They really didn't show that much of Skyrim before it came out, either, and people made a lot of the same cynical comments about dumbing it down and being the same old engine, but it's still one of the greatest fucking games of all time. Any criticism it received was always followed by that qualifier. Bethesda Game Studio gets a pass with me.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2015, 13:51 jacobvandy

PHJF wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 13:05:
...but what's the difference between a personal watercraft that anyone can operate and a car in terms of having open containers? Lower travel speed on the water, and less traffic usually

You just answered your own question. Driving a car in a heavily populated area is infinitely more demanding on the driver than piloting a boat in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, because every person in a boat is the ONLY person on the water... Jethro and his buddy going fishing on a secluded lake is an unenforceable edge case, but the vast majority of boating is done in public recreational areas that tend to be pretty crowded in the summer months.

News Comments > Brothers In Arms Rearming
9. Re: Brothers In Arms Rearming Jul 17, 2015, 12:13 jacobvandy

I'm glad they ditched that Furious Four crap. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the idea resurface elsewhere, but it was too bizarre for them to give a series like BiA (which they've always touted for its authenticity) the Inglorious Basterds treatment.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2015, 11:58 jacobvandy

I never understood why you're allowed to have booze on a boat. I mean, something big enough to have a separation between dedicated crew and passengers is one thing, but what's the difference between a personal watercraft that anyone can operate and a car in terms of having open containers? Lower travel speed on the water, and less traffic usually, but then there's not as much danger in simply falling out of a car... Even with a designated sober captain, what happens when he's in trouble, goes overboard or has a heart attack at the wheel?  

News Comments > Act of Aggression Multiplayer Beta
1. Re: Act of Aggression Multiplayer Beta Jul 16, 2015, 14:37 jacobvandy

Not interested in MP, but I am looking forward to this game. I really liked Act of War back in the day... 10 years ago now, jeebus.  

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2015, 16:27 jacobvandy

*sigh* I know what Reddit is, I visit various gaming boards there. I said the site itself is shitty, it's barebones and unremarkable. It's not Reddit because it's an amazing web site, it's Reddit because that's where people go. If the staff melts down or a meteor hits their primary datacenter or whatever, the people can and will go elsewhere. It's happened to several similar sites that used to be on top and it will happen again. It's not too big (or even too good) to fail. Hence my previous comment that this drama is superfluous.  

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2015, 12:42 jacobvandy

It's a shitty message board/comment system that happened to become ridiculously popular, but in reality it doesn't matter if it would completely disappear tomorrow. There's no point in getting worked up over it, since a new one will just crop up in its place... This is the natural order of social media. The fact that Reddit has a CEO at all is proof it's been a bloated corpse for a while, ready to pop and drive people away with its stench. And it finally happened. It's possible that in a few years nobody will even know what it is, just like Digg.  

News Comments > YAGER's Dead Island 2 Statement
1. Re: YAGER's Dead Island 2 Statement Jul 15, 2015, 12:24 jacobvandy

Techland indicated years ago that the reason they weren't doing the sequel is Deep Silver had their own ideas for what they wanted to do with the series. Maybe they should just develop it themselves if they can't accept anyone else's work...  

2871 Comments. 144 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo