Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2368 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 22, 2014, 17:35 jacobvandy

walrus1 wrote on Nov 22, 2014, 15:59:
The reason "pace of cord-cutting remains a drip, drip, drip" is the extreme lack of reasonably priced and far reaching streaming services. I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime. Yet their libraries are just so lacking.

I'm sure they find themselves now in a "chicken or the egg" problem... They can't get more and better content without making more money, and they can't make more money without having more and better content. Netflix is definitely going to have to raise their sub price. Amazon will probably spin-off the streaming video service into its own entity with its own subscription fee. And this is all completely ignoring the guaranteed digging of the heels by major content providers, as enormous cable companies are giving them the stink eye. Something's gotta give.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Assassin's Creed Unity Microtransactions
4. Re: On Assassin's Creed Unity Microtransactions Nov 21, 2014, 18:15 jacobvandy

You know you really fucked up, when a guy who makes his living designing microtransactions tells you how bad yours are. It's not blind hatred fueling him, this stuff is legitimately piss-poorly implemented.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Crash Workaround
13. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Crash Workaround Nov 21, 2014, 14:58 jacobvandy

So the DA:I camera stays pointed forward no matter which direction your character is facing/moving, with your mouse cursor free to click on things in the world or UI at the same time? Which means you have to hold a mouse button to turn the camera or (usually) hold the other to keep the camera centered behind you while you turn your character? That actually is a fairly common control scheme... I've done it for a couple thousand hours in GW2 alone, but it doesn't bother me at all. Though that's primarily because you rarely hold either mouse button down persistently for prolonged periods of time. In fact, I don't know why you would need to do so. Blank  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective
42. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 19, 2014, 08:44 jacobvandy

Quinn wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 06:17:
jomisab wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 21:36:
LOL at all the pirating losers out there...

Thanks to pirating I didn't waste 45 dollars of HARD-SWEATY-HOURS-OF-GODDAMN-WORK earned money. It's not as black and white as most of you moralknights out here think it is, matter of fact. This game is getting 4,5s out of 5s; 9s out of 10s! The media is painting the picture that FC4 is the best fucking thing that has happened in a long time! If I didn't pirate this game for DEMO PUPROSES ONLY I wouldn't have known that FC4 is the exact same thing as FC3 with a few extra shit like elephants and flying scooters. And oh boy, I mean the exact same thing. It's a glorified expansion, yet you pay the full price for it.

I can't wait to see what the media gives The Witcher 3 when it comes out and it will be remotely as awesome as it seems to become. An 8 out of 5? A 23 out of a 10?

Yes. I pirated FC4, tried it for an hour, yawned and deleted it from my computer. No harm done to myself, which I find more important than the few dollars Ubisoft misses out on because I didn't buy the game under the false pretense that it would actually feel like a standalone game.

I played GTA V and felt the exact same way, man! It should have been a $20 DLC for GTA IV!!!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4
19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4 Nov 18, 2014, 14:39 jacobvandy

Verno wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 09:40:
Still hadn't unlocked on Uplay by the time I left for work but I will check it out later for sure. Got it for free for my videocard, between The Crew and AC: Unity it was an easy choice.

I was disappointed to hear the grappling hook is only for preset spots in the world though, big missed opportunity there.

I was getting frustrated last night, but turns out you have to check your email for a code to redeem that will unlock the game for you. I had mine 3 minutes after midnight EST. Makes no sense, because it was a pre-order from them (video card freebie, but they process that as a 100%-off coupon in their store), and it was in my account and able to be pre-loaded, in which case Steam would just unlock it automatically... Oh, well.

The game itself is fucking awesome.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer
37. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 08:55 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 01:40:
- Having to hold either R or left mouse continuously to keep attacking. What.the.fuck...? Seriously, Bioware dev who thought this was a great idea (it was you, wasn't it, Laidlaw?) please sit down at a table and write down the reasons why you thought this was a great idea. I'm sure "It works fine on a controller!" will be your #1 reason. But write down all of them. I'll wait.

Done? Okay. Now cross through EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, and write "I am a complete idiot, and should never be allowed to design games ever again" on that same sheet.

Holy fuck what an incredibly irritating mechanism...

That's standard action RPG design. But from the rest of your post, it sounds like we all just might as well use a gamepad anyway!

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
9. Re: Saturday Consolidation Nov 15, 2014, 22:53 jacobvandy

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 20:54:
Got a message from Sony yesterday. Black friday deal, 500 Gig PS4, GTA5, Last of Us $399.

I noticed something with those screen shots. No traffic and no crowds... Not impressed.

GTA IV had a traffic density slider, so I don't think it's a stretch to expect that to be tweakable (even if only by mods) in V.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds
7. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds Nov 15, 2014, 13:20 jacobvandy

You know any issue with Helix Credits was their #1 priority...  

News Comments > Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change "Any Time Soon"; DX10 Support Unlikely
21. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 13:17 jacobvandy

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 12:56:
Kind of stupid as there are few difference between dx10 and dx11. I really doubt they used much that was not in dx10. Sounds like another really challenged programmer.

The only people that use the word "haters" come from the backwoods. Perhaps you should expand your vocabulary and look up the word "critics".

Just like DX10 didn't have much different about it than DX9, feature-wise. The advantages of the last few newer versions are largely related to efficiency. Technically DX10 could probably do whatever they're wanting to do, but it wouldn't be feasible if the performance suffers too much because of it.

Acleacius wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 13:08:
Ridiculously stupid decision, much of the world is still experiencing recession.

8GB of RAM can be had for under $70. Or a 4GB upgrade is under $40. You probably shouldn't be PC gaming as a hobby if you can't swing that. =/

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 11:14 jacobvandy

I'm surprised anyone as big as Taylor Swift is even on there... I figured they'd be staying out of it for the same reason The Simpsons and Seinfeld aren't on Netflix.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
13. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 14, 2014, 08:11 jacobvandy

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 23:52:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 23:37:
TriForce releasing replica Halo plasma rifles at $600 a pop.

So, does it shoot actual plasma? For that price it had better.

Yeah, for that price you can buy any number of real guns. You know, that work. Instead of a piece of plastic with LEDs. That weighs about 3 times what a real, working weapon weighs. (? Why?)

The future is heavy.

News Comments > Ubisoft on AMD & Assassin's Creed Unity
21. Re: Ubisoft on AMD & Assassin's Creed Unity Nov 13, 2014, 08:21 jacobvandy

From what I've heard, it won't run well on any GPU if you don't have the processor to back it up. And even then, you're not gonna get the 100 fps you were hoping for, unless maybe you're a world record holder for CPU overclock.  

News Comments > Mount&Blade Free on GOG.com Fall Sale
5. Re: Mount&Blade Free on GOG.com Fall Sale Nov 12, 2014, 23:02 jacobvandy

ShakyJake wrote on Nov 12, 2014, 22:27:
I really hope M&B 2 happens. After all the Bannerlord announcements happened last year, all talk about it just seemed to dry up. Warband is a brilliantly fun game, but an updated version would be nice.

They showed a teaser/developer diary just a few weeks ago. It's coming.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2014, 14:50 jacobvandy

Fair enough. But if it were so easy to come up with a working vaccine for ebola -- lord knows those tens of thousands of Africans have waited long enough! -- why wait to whip one together in less than six months following a global media scare campaign?  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2014, 14:34 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Nov 12, 2014, 14:21:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 12, 2014, 14:05:

At any rate, I hope those ebola vaccines fucking flop. Sadly, I'm not so sure they will...

Wait, what?
You hope something that could save the lives of tens of thousands of people in Africa flops?

Why would Johnson & Johnson give a fuck about helping people in Africa? It's gonna be at every Walgreens, CVS, and Rite-Aid in America and cost ten times more than your similarly-effective flu "vaccine" they already use to fleece people with twice a year. We have NO REASON to waste money on that shit. Maybe if it doesn't sell and a few years from now they have warehouses full of the junk, they'll send it overseas for a modicum of press exposure. It's not a cure, so I doubt it'll do anything, anyway.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2014, 14:05 jacobvandy

It's just another swine flu or H1N1 or SARS hype job. Except with it being specifically a disease being brought here from abroad by unknowing hosts, it's also another reason for them to indefinitely imprison anyone they'd like once they catch them going through an airport.

At any rate, I hope those ebola vaccines fucking flop. Sadly, I'm not so sure they will...

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Reviews
19. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Reviews Nov 12, 2014, 09:27 jacobvandy

The game is clearly CPU-limited...  

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Announced (Not F2P)
4. Re: Just Cause 3 Announced (Not F2P) Nov 11, 2014, 19:56 jacobvandy

Yes... I really hope they crank up the destructibility of environments even more. That has always been the entire appeal of the game for me, and it was really impressive for its time in JC2. Now with a raised baseline of console specs and ridiculously powerful GPUs on PC, they ought to be able to push the envelope pretty far.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2014, 18:13 jacobvandy

InBlack wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 10:00:
Sort of on topic, I just finished watching Band of Brothers over the weekend. This is the third time Ive seen it I believe, still one of the best shows ever and still as clearcut and powerful as the first time Ive seen it.

Aren't there rumours going round that Spielberg and Hanks are teaming up again for another WWII epic mini-series? This time it's apparently based on the "Mighty 8th" Army Air Force.

I hope its true and I hope it's as realistic as Band of Brothers was or put in other words its the complete opposite of "Red Tails".

I hope you've seen The Pacific? I was expecting it to be named in your post, but just in case, thought I'd mention it.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2014, 18:07 jacobvandy

From the horse's mouth:

To be perfectly clear: Just Cause 3 will be available in 2015 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC. It will be distributed as a retail box and digital download. It is not a Free To Play game. It does not feature in-game micro transactions.

2368 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo