Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2961 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October
2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October Aug 29, 2015, 14:26 jacobvandy

Ditto! Though I wish I had more than three weeks to play before Fallout 4 crashes through the wall like Kool-Aid and dominates my life.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands Movie Plans
4. Re: Borderlands Movie Plans Aug 28, 2015, 18:52 jacobvandy

I could see them doing live action with a lot of CGI to layer the signature art style on top of everything. Then it'd be pretty easy to pull off some of the more bizarre characters and settings. I wonder if they'll have voice talent from the games involved? There's no way they'll change Claptrap, right?  

News Comments > Evening Previews
3. Re: Evening Previews Aug 27, 2015, 21:47 jacobvandy

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 20:00:
So they replaced the snow textures from the Hoth map with sand textures and called it a "new and exciting" (of course!) map.

/slowclap

This piece of shit will win so many most disappointing game of the year awards it won't even be funny.

Weird, I must have missed the smoldering frigates and fighters littering the battlefield in the Hoth videos... Oh, and the GIANT FUCKING STAR DESTROYER towering over everything.

News Comments > Rocket League OS X and SteamOS Plans
5. Re: Rocket League OS X and SteamOS Plans Aug 27, 2015, 21:40 jacobvandy

They also announced they've sold 1 million copies on Steam so far. Way more impressive than the previous 5 million downloads total.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2015, 18:18 jacobvandy

The live TV broadcast is nothing, you can still find the video the shooter tweeted out, explicitly showing it all, even though they disabled his account shortly thereafter... Some messed up shit.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2015, 18:23.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2015, 15:43 jacobvandy

Kxmode wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 14:51:
Mad Max's release date...

On Steam, where I preordered, it is August 31, 2015
On IGN's strategy guide September 4, 2015
On Wikipedia September 1, 2015

So confused. Can someone help me understand which date is correct?

Steam midnight release, baby! 9PM pacific time Monday evening, some games even do 6PM pacific, I guess so east coasters get a little more early time in.

News Comments > Dying Light Demo
6. Re: Dying Light Demo Aug 26, 2015, 14:49 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 13:39:
Overall Dying Light >> Dead Island, but I do miss being able to craft guns ala Dead Island's Electric/Fire Pistols, etc.

Unless my game is bugged, I find rare and legendary guns every so often, but they are all the same stats (not counting 2 Unique pistols) as the rest of the blue guns.

Missed opportunity, Techland!

In the stream footage posted here yesterday, they showed an SMG that will be in The Following and hinted there would be even more types of guns. With more schematics on the way, too, I'm hoping that at least some of them will be able to enhance ranged weapons. If only because there are going to be so many of them, from the pistols and shotguns and rifles to bow and crossbow to SMG and whatever else they're adding soon.

News Comments > Dying Light Demo
2. Re: Dying Light Demo Aug 26, 2015, 13:01 jacobvandy

If it's really an open demo for that chunk of the map that lets you explore freely in co-op, fuck yeah it's awesome!

I tried to install it and see exactly how it goes, since I have a bunch of friends who missed out on this game and would love to be able to show it off to them, but Steam doesn't let me, probably because I own the full game. So now I'm wondering whether I'd be able to play with people on the demo....

News Comments > Dying Light: The Following Trailer
3. Re: Dying Light: The Following Trailer Aug 26, 2015, 02:06 jacobvandy

Rigs wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 00:32:
Hey, I'm still trying to finish the original! No really, I'm like 25% in. I just started about four days ago...yeah, yeah, I had a back log, ok?

EDIT: Oh! And, btw, for those that were so sure I didn't know how to configure my system (ahem...HARLOCK!) and this was the reason I was getting shitty fps? Well, I updated last night to the 1.5.0 patch, finally, and it's smooth as *(^$# butter! I knew it wasn't my system! This is exactly the same thing that happened with GTA5 when I first got it. It ran like ASS. to the point of being unplayable but after two patches...runs smooth as silk. So, again, I say, texture streaming issues are the game's fault! Yeah, I have a crappy 1gb 7850 but it still holds it's own...

=-Rigs-=

It's not a coincidence, those are two of the high-profile games of recent memory that have masqueraded "performance optimizations" as flat-out reducing the game's visual quality. Now you'd have to tweak the .ini to get the settings as high as they used to be able to be set in-game when they launched. Apparently there are too many people out there who crank the settings to max, aren't happy with the performance, and then start ranting and raving all over the internet about the game being a buggy, unoptimized piece of crap rather than consider that their computer just might not be good enough to run the game at the highest settings...

What I fear might be happening is that developers are learning to err on the side of caution, reduce the range of graphical options to where it's more likely to perform acceptably, basically treat gamers with kid gloves and turn a PC game into more of a CONSOLE experience. All to avoid the bad publicity stemming from self-entitled little pricks who can't fathom that they might have to run a game on medium or high settings rather than ultra.

Not that you're one of them, Rigs, I'm just saying that that is why you've seen such performance boosts from patches. These changes are not documented clearly in patch notes, it's taken third parties like NVIDIA to do comparison tests when they put together tweak guides to find out that draw distance, shadow/texture/lighting quality, or whatever else had been neutered.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
8. Re: Diablo III Patched Aug 25, 2015, 21:33 jacobvandy

Re: needing Cube materials in your inventory (since quoting isn't working for me...)

They obviously made a conscious choice to go with the Diablo 2 style crafting grid as opposed to the "click a button to do it for you" way that everything else works. I don't know if they'll backtrack on something so pointedly old-school, an effort to blatantly pander to series veterans that do nothing but bitch about how the older games are better.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
1. Re: Diablo III Patched Aug 25, 2015, 18:36 jacobvandy

Epic patch, been playing it for a few hours.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released
21. Re: Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released Aug 25, 2015, 15:12 jacobvandy

Yeah, I was about to say, I got the backer update email just a little while ago. Rotfl  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 25, 2015, 01:39 jacobvandy

Krodge wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 23:05:
Julio wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 18:47:
As for member suicides, maybe they shouldn't have been cheating in the first place.

You dont know the details of these peoples lives or why they did what they did (something thats not even illegal mind you). They could have been in bad or abusive relationships, In a situation where they were unable to get a divorce, They could have been gay and in the closet unwilling or unable to come out. Not every case is as black and white as you seem to think and in no case should any of these people have been exposed and pushed to suicide.

It seems hypocritical to me that everyone was so outraged at the NSA logging meta data but no complaints when a criminal hacker group exposes peoples private sex lives, resulting in some of their deaths.

I agree with Julio, the details are irrelevant. If you are so wracked with guilt or fearful that someone else would find out, whatever it is that you did, that not being able to keep it a secret would push you over that cliff, you shouldn't have done it in the first place. Period.

Sorry if that hits close to home for you, but it's the cold, hard truth. When you make a decision, you have to consider the consequences. Chances are you would have been found out eventually, even without your have-an-affair website being hacked.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2015, 01:45.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Aug 24, 2015, 18:07 jacobvandy

Didn't bother me when I watched it. *shrug*  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 24, 2015, 14:50 jacobvandy

These buttons are pretty useless until they have their drone army ready to deliver packages within an hour.  

News Comments > Mad Max Commercial
8. Re: Mad Max Commercial Aug 24, 2015, 14:47 jacobvandy

I finally saw Fury Road last week after hearing my friends rave about it, and I have to agree. It was a really cool movie, well made and I enjoyed it and all, but it didn't live up to the "best movie of all time" level of hype. There was no story to speak of, it was just non-stop action. The setting and characters very obviously make for fantastic video game fodder, though, so I'm looking forward to this title from Avalanche more than ever.  

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
55. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 14:00 jacobvandy

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 13:50:
Frags4Fun wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 13:38:
I'm not picking a side on this and my reply has little, if anything, to do with SC, but a contractor can't refund time lost.
I am not picking sides either just pointing out how ridiculous Derek's claims sound.

In the example Cutter brought up if the contractor refund all your money you can I guess still take him to court suing for time lost if you can prove that this has caused some sort of damages to you financially or otherwise.

In case of Star Citizen?
Good luck with that one.

A class-action lawsuit will require... a *class* of other plaintiffs who can show damages.

A lot of comments this morning seem to be missing that, and are running on the assumption that Smart will be suing them personally. No, he's organizing a class action, of which he does not have to be a part. So it doesn't matter if his money has been refunded, he can and probably will still be bringing suit against them.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2015, 03:40 jacobvandy

There was a period of time where they were honoring requests to refund purchases as old as 6 months or so when the policy first went into effect, but I don't know if they're still doing that.

Edit: Clearly they still are! Lol, well good for you.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Aug 23, 2015, 17:35 jacobvandy

fawker wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 17:12:
Any idea if Battlefront from GMG still uses Origin for DRM?

I would assume so but their website lists it as "other drm".

Battlefront requires Origin no matter where you get it from, just like all other EA games released on PC for the past several years. :p

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 23, 2015, 17:27 jacobvandy

I think you hit the nail on the head already, about your GPU being short on VRAM. It's enough to run these games, but I'd say it's the primary reason why your system struggles with texture streaming at times.

In any case, you shouldn't read too much into your performance issues with ARK. That is the number one complaint with the game that I have seen (I've not tried it myself, yet), and even people with GTX 970s are lucky to get more than 30 fps regardless of settings.

2961 Comments. 149 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo