Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 3206 (Veteran)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 14, 2016, 01:07 jacobvandy

Coincidentally, I got a cool $73 in the mail today, from a class-action suit against my former employer I forgot I opted into about a year ago. Not bad for just mailing them my signature!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
5. Re: Diablo III Patched Jan 13, 2016, 01:13 jacobvandy

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 22:29:
Wanted to play Firebirds.
Saw this.
Wanted to play Thorns Crusader
Saw this
*YAWN*

I don't know what to play. I don't even feel that excited about it, really. I'll play to see the new zone and, to my disappointment, likely witness Druids being groomed for new class instead of Necromancer.

Who gives a fuck what the no-lifer leaderboard toppers can do with a build? You can knock at least 5-10 GR levels off of those estimates purely for not having 1000 Paragon, another 5 for not spending endless hours cultivating the very best stats on all of your gear, another 5 for not having a perfect Hellfire or immunity ammy... Not to mention the fact that builds meant for pushing the highest GRs often are not the most enjoyable to play or efficient in farming normal rifts, might require a specific group composition to support it, etc.

Firebird got a buff, maybe it isn't enough to beat the other options but it's certainly a lot better than it was last year (also possible nobody was using it in PTR based on similar face-value assumptions without exploring all possible synergies with new items and changes), and Thorns is objectively in the best shape it's ever been. You either use those builds and enjoy them for what they do, or you find something else you like better. I don't see the point in worrying about their top-tier efficiency unless you're seriously competing at that level. In which case, you probably wouldn't be making the snap judgments you seem to be.

Personally, I'm loving all the buffs to the Demon Hunter. Played for a bit today and both my Maurader's Maelstrom and Unhallowed Essence Arsenal builds were instantly way stronger than they were before, and I still have a few gear changes to make to take advantage of the new legendaries that will make them even better. Then once the Season starts up I'm gonna go for the Shadow set, I've really been looking forward to that re-work! I'm sure I'll check out the new and improved builds for the other classes after that...

I still haven't even explored the new content, either, beyond seeing a new tileset in a rift. Every single class set has a new hand-crafted challenge dungeon, too, which I guess are hidden all over the game world? I saw the patch summary article on Diablo Fans was spoiling their locations, so I skipped that section. Anyway, with all the QoL changes, the gold sink that lets you upgrade legendary gems faster, new Cube recipe that uses those gems to augment items with additional primary stat, among other things, they've hit it out of the park again, IMO. If this is the kind of stuff they're committed to putting out for free 2-3 times a year, you gotta think that the second expansion will pretty goddamned epic.

News Comments > Amazon Prime Discounting Game Preorders
20. Re: Amazon Prime Discounting Game Preorders Jan 13, 2016, 00:33 jacobvandy

Well damn, only a couple months late to take about $25 off the FO4 Pip-Boy Edition...

Although, they did end up giving me $30 credit because they were two days fucking late... Some people got full refunds and kept the game, too.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jan 10, 2016, 19:30 jacobvandy

Trevellian wrote on Jan 10, 2016, 16:58:
People need to start buying Dragon's Dogma so I can get a damn sequel.

For the love of god, heed the man! Apparently they're considering a sequel and are looking for feedback from the PC re-release... And everyone knows what these companies respond to above all else: $$$$

News Comments > Far Cry: Primal Specs
9. Re: Far Cry: Primal Specs Jan 8, 2016, 12:40 jacobvandy

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 12:23:
You guys think this is going to be too intense for a 7-8 year old? My son saw this on Steam and has been begging me for it ever since. The other FarCrys have way too mature themes, but this looks like it's just gore (which I'm hoping can be toned down in settings).

I finally let him play Assassins Creed Black Flag, which he loves, but I'm just concerned that this one might be too much.

According to the Ubi website, it's rated 'M for Mature' for Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Nudity, and Sexual Content. ESRB doesn't seem to have the detailed synopsis on their site yet, but IMO the descriptors are enough to base your decision on.

News Comments > Minecraft Sells > 22M
7. Re: Minecraft Sells > 22M Jan 5, 2016, 00:54 jacobvandy

Jensen wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 00:32:
And they did this without any sales. Except for the first million or two copies during alpha and beta, which were 50% and 25% off, respectively, all copies have been at the full 26.95 price.

Nah, there have been discounts and even BOGO sales for various holidays over the years. Not that it really detracts from the achievement at all.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2016, 15:24 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 14:35:
EricFate wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 13:05:
I'm looking at my Steam Sale purchases this year, and comparing them to how much I spent in previous years.

Yep, Cliffy is pulling numbers out of his ass.

Why is he newsworthy again?

1. "It doesn't apply to me, so it must be wrong!!11"

2. The "Op" in "Op-Ed" means "opinion." So yes, the numbers in the article are pulled out of his ass, by definition.

3. He brings up a good point that I hadn't considered: the refund system affects the ability to have short term sales. I was wondering why Steam stopped doing daily sales; this is a pretty good hypothesis.

The refund thing is all but confirmed, straight from the horse's mouth. Valve has been saying ever since they enacted the policy that they do not consider it to be abuse when you narrowly miss a price reduction and refund a game in order to re-buy it cheaper.

So they basically endorse this practice, which ruins the ability to offer a special, limited-time discount, because you end up losing a lot of the extra dollars per sale you were getting from people who had bought it the day or the week before.

It's good customer service, but you have to take with that the fact that it de-incentivizes a developer being able to say "oh, what the hell" and slash his game's price for a few hours.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2015, 15:13 jacobvandy

LiTh wrote on Dec 28, 2015, 14:57:
Christmas Vacation in my household

Yep! And we usually tune into TBS for at least 2 1/2 showings of A Christmas Story.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 27, 2015, 17:27 jacobvandy

Steam achievements are not as reliable an indicator of gameplay habits as you might think... At least not in this instance. Or look at Fallout 4, 10% of people don't have the achievement for exiting the vault (finishing the tutorial), lol.

I think that's just a margin of error of sorts, accounting for people who own it but haven't played it, play offline and never have that stuff synced, don't ever have Steam running or just have glitches that cause them not to activate, etc. If an achievement is near 90% unlocked, then that's virtually the same as everyone having it.

And you can run GTA on its own just through the Rockstar Social Club thing, right? Can any of the fellas around here that despise Steam tell us whether doing so means Steam cheeves never pop for you at all?

News Comments > Diablo III Season 5 Overview
7. Re: Diablo III Season 5 Overview Dec 23, 2015, 01:03 jacobvandy

Rhett wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 20:06:
It is a fun game, but they should just move on already. It's had a fantastic run (since the AH was taken out), but it needs more features. And necromancers, dammit. Screw the witch doctor!

I don't know what you're going on about, as these last few major patches have cumulatively added near as many new features as the expansion did. And they're still working on another full-size content expansion (which might bring a Necromancer class, who knows?). I have no problem with them continuing the frankly excellent and FREE content updates for as long as they're willing to.

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale
12. Re: Steam Winter Sale Dec 22, 2015, 14:41 jacobvandy

Yep, I hope y'all are happy, refunds have ruined Steam sales!  

News Comments > Division Leaked Alpha Footage
11. Re: Division Leaked Alpha Footage Dec 21, 2015, 14:51 jacobvandy

ledhead1969 wrote on Dec 21, 2015, 14:23:
Sempai wrote on Dec 21, 2015, 12:11:
I played and finished the story missions on the X1 version. It's been dialed way back in terms of fidelity, to the point of city skyscrapers in the distant drawing flat with no textures at all. I'm fairly certain the game runs a non synced(some tearing)30fps@900p.

It now looks more akin to Watch Dogs than the amazing spectacle we saw from E3 2013. We'll see what the pc looks like, but if we know Ubisoft, it will not only be a stark downgrade, but it'll also be a stuttering bug ridden mess of a pc client.

I will say it hooked me enough to finish the sparse single player content they have you play in the beta. Reminds me of Destiny in new york. I will also mention the gun sounds were tinny, weak and generally terrible. I'd say more, but i don't want my home ransacked by angry French programmers in the middle of the night..

Will it have raiding? Destiny desperately needs some competition to force its improvement.

They were flaunting DayZ-style open world PVP at first, but now I believe they've confined that to specific zones that you don't have to enter unless you want that kind of action.

News Comments > French Steam Lawsuit
9. Re: French Steam Lawsuit Dec 18, 2015, 14:16 jacobvandy

NetHead wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 11:00:
Valve claims ownership of the rights of any user-created content uploaded to Steam.

This monetising mods thing is even more insidious than I thought if they're trying to take ownership of any user created content uploaded to them.

They, and some laws, may even see that as ground to have mods removed from other places making them legally exclusive to Valve/Steam.

They're locking things down and locking people in more than ever, I'm not sure if Microsoft or even Apple has gone this far. Yet so many still follow them zealously, throwing money at them, mumbling Gabe, going on about how "Steam saved PC gaming", oh please. This is going nowhere good.

You're getting ahead of yourself, here. The developer/publisher owns any mods made for their specific game(s), regardless of any Valve involvement, which is why any modder who cries about their work being used without permission is doing so out of a completely ignorant and erroneous assumption that they have any sort of ownership whatsoever. They don't, they never did, and they never will. People don't understand that what Bethesda tried to do with paid mods was a relatively kind thing, when they have every legal right to simply take mods and sell them without any compensation to the creator at all.

Valve doesn't claim ownership rights to all mods on the workshop (except for their own games), the "user-created content" here is referring to all the crap people upload to the Steam community. Screenshots, fan art, videos, etc., and it is a non-exclusive license for Valve to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works of, blah blah blah, "in connection with the operation and promotion of the Steam site." They don't claim sole ownership with all commercial privileges and then you can't ever use that image again without them suing you... I'm pretty sure that actually would be illegal. You can even submit notice to terminate that license if you feel they are in breach of the terms they set forth.

Of course, everyone is warned of this stipulation when they create an account, and possibly again when they go to upload anything, but nobody cares. Not until they see their precious drawing or whatever the hell used in a TF2 newsletter or something, *gasp*, without their permission! No, idiot, you granted them permission when you put it on their servers.

As for Workshop content, specifically, if you choose to remove something that you uploaded there, it revokes Valve's non-exclusive license similar to what I just described, except that they won't take it out of a game if it's been officially incorporated (meaning you were paid a fee) and they won't take it away from people who subscribed to it.

Here is the relevant passage from the SSA:

6. USER GENERATED CONTENT

A. General Provisions

"User Generated Content" means any content you make available to other users through your use of multi-user features of Steam, or to Valve or its affiliates through your use of the Content and Services or otherwise.

You grant Valve and its affiliates the worldwide, non-exclusive, right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, transcode, translate, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and publicly perform, your User Generated Content, and derivative works of your User Generated Content, in connection with the operation and promotion of the Steam site. This license is granted to Valve for the entire duration of the intellectual property rights and may be terminated if Valve is in breach of the license and has not cured such breach within fourteen (14) days from receiving notice from you sent to the attention of the Valve Legal Department at the applicable Valve address noted on this Privacy Policy page. The termination of said license does not affect the rights of any sub-licensees pursuant to any sub-license granted by Valve prior to termination of the license. Valve is the sole owner of the derivative works created by Valve from your Content, and is therefore entitled to grant licenses on these derivative works. If you use Valve cloud storage, you grant us a license to store your information as part of that service. We may place limits on the amount of storage you may use.

If you provide Valve with any feedback or suggestions about Steam, the Content and Services, or any Valve products or services, Valve is free to use the feedback or suggestions however it chooses, without any obligation to account to you.

B. Content Uploaded to the Steam Workshop

Some games or applications available on Steam ("Workshop-Enabled Apps") allow you to create User Generated Content based on or using the Workshop-Enabled App, and to submit that User Generated Content (a “Workshop Contribution”) to one or more Steam Workshop web pages. Workshop Contributions can be viewed by the Steam community, and for some categories of Workshop Contributions users may be able to interact with, download or purchase the Workshop Contribution. In some cases, Workshop Contributions may be considered for incorporation by Valve or a third-party developer into a game or into a Subscription Marketplace.

You understand and agree that Valve is not obligated to use, distribute, or continue to distribute copies of any Workshop Contribution and reserves the right, but not the obligation, to restrict or remove Workshop Contributions for any reason.

Specific Workshop-Enabled Apps or Workshop web pages may contain special terms (“App-Specific Terms”) that supplement or change the terms set out in this Section. In particular, where Workshop Contributions are distributed for a fee, App-Specific Terms will address how revenue may be shared. Unless otherwise specified in App-Specific Terms (if any), the following general rules apply to Workshop Contributions.

• Workshop Contributions are Subscriptions, and therefore you agree that any Subscriber receiving distribution of your Workshop Contribution will have the same rights to use your Workshop Contribution (and will be subject to the same restrictions) as are set out in this Agreement for any other Subscriptions.

• Notwithstanding the license described in Section 6.A., Valve will only have the right to modify or create derivative works from your Workshop Contribution in the following cases: (a) Valve may make modifications necessary to make your Contribution compatible with Steam and the Workshop functionality or user interface, and (b) Valve or the applicable developer may make modifications to Workshop Contributions that are accepted for in-Application distribution as it deems necessary or desirable to enhance gameplay.

• You may, in your sole discretion, choose to remove a Workshop Contribution from the applicable Workshop pages. If you do so, Valve will no longer have the right to use, distribute, transmit, communicate, publicly display or publicly perform the Workshop Contribution, except that (a) Valve may continue to exercise these rights for any Workshop Contribution that is accepted for distribution in-game or distributed in a manner that allows it to be used in-game, and (b) your removal will not affect the rights of any Subscriber who has already obtained access to a copy of the Workshop Contribution.

• Except where otherwise provided in App-Specific Terms, you agree that Valve’s consideration of your Workshop Contribution is your full compensation, and you are not entitled to any other rights or compensation in connection with the rights granted to Valve and to other Subscribers.

News Comments > Remastered Turok Released
    2. Re: Remastered Turok Released Dec 17, 2015, 18:25 jacobvandy

Yeah... $20 is a bit much for a port. You can play at higher resolution and it looks like the wall of fog is a bit further off, but all the assets look the same as they were almost 20 years ago. They play it off like that was intentional, so they're using the term "remastered" very loosely here.  

News Comments > Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Date, Specs
    1. Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Date, Specs Dec 17, 2015, 17:29 jacobvandy

AND it's only $30! No excuse not to pick this up, it's one of the best games of recent memory.  

News Comments > Dying Light The Following Story Trailer
    6. Re: Dying Light The Following Story Trailer Dec 16, 2015, 19:48 jacobvandy

There are weapon maintenance skills that make them last plenty long enough, let you repair them more times, AND give you a chance to not consume one of those limited repairs whenever you do fix it up... It's more likely your weapon will just fall behind in damage and be replaced anyway before it actually breaks. And then you max out your skills and do so much damage anyway, no matter what weapon you have, that it really doesn't matter. Modding the game to make it even easier than that is going a bit overboard, I think.

But then, I don't mind weapon degradation in general. It's bad enough that guns in this game are immune to it and have very little variation in their stats, so once you find one of the type you want (they're all a dime a dozen by the time you reach the second map), that's it, you're done looting guns. To wish melee weapons were more like that, too, is taking a lot of the fun out of the game, IMO. They're temporary so that you are always on the look-out for new ones. And on the rare occasion that you completely run out of usable weapons, it's a refreshing challenge to have to rely more on your wits and the environment to survive.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate Jack the Ripper 360º Trailer
    9. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Jack the Ripper 360º Trailer Dec 15, 2015, 18:30 jacobvandy

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 17:46:
    The writing was also weak and while I liked Evie, they went the sitcom hyper stereotype route of making the woman character smart, thoughtful and strategic while the male was is a brash idiot whose lack of forethought into anything literally sets back their plans on multiple occasions. Heaven forfend Ubisoft not wildly overcompensate for last year's offendatron brigade of Unity not having a playable female character. Now we have one but they had to make the male an idiot to compensate and they also made half the gang enemies women, throwing any attempts at period accuracy aside because hey, we wouldn't want to offend anyone with things being how they actually were in the time we're supposed to be reliving.

Don't forget the token transgendered character! I also noticed they updated their PC disclaimer displayed when you first start the game to include "various... sexual orientations and gender identities." Rolleyes

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate Jack the Ripper 360º Trailer
    2. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Jack the Ripper 360º Trailer Dec 15, 2015, 14:03 jacobvandy

Lol, those aren't AI, they're wallpaper. It was a neat effect, sure, but the fact is it didn't work in the real world nearly as well as they thought it did in their own tests. The limit of 40 active NPCs means that, in your scene there, only the policemen and key scene/quest actors are doing anything, while 95% of the crowd are basically props like crates and barrels. Which, combined with the limit of 120 high-res character models, caused the many decidedly UN-immersive issues with fugly pop-in as you moved about the city, or even through a single crowd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frrGo-QGB88

Syndicate is hardly empty, anyone who's done any amount of carriage driving knows there are PLENTY of people and other vehicles who get in your way. That's a big reason the streets are clearer, though, is they pretty much have to be to make room for driving. And though they have fewer NPCs about in general (most I've seen is about 100 in one of those scripted crowds), all of them react to you, running away screaming when you kill someone, mumbling milder concerns when you're holding someone hostage or sneaking about, etc. That behavior isn't limited to just the ones nearest to you that you're bumping into, and the scenes that creates when you've infiltrated an enemy gang operation and finally "go loud" are plenty immersive.

They're better off keeping the huge crowds on the back burner until they get them better sorted, IMO. Maybe they're working on that for the next major game. But even without them, most people agree Syndicate is an improvement. I really don't know if I could go back to any previous AC game, since the grappling hook is that much of a game-changer.

News Comments > Happy Birthday Commander Keen; PC SM3 Video
    2. Re: Happy Birthday Commander Keen; PC SM3 Video Dec 14, 2015, 19:31 jacobvandy

Yeah, it sure does. Completely lacking any of the subtle finesse that Nintendo put into Mario's movements (acceleration, momentum, gravity, etc.): https://youtu.be/61MNeKHnhe0?t=53

But I suppose that's expecting too much of a tech demo only meant to prove they could do side-scrolling graphics.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2015, 16:36 jacobvandy

descender wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 15:16:
    Or you can just be a man and take your chances.

The true purpose of immunization is not really to stop young healthy people from getting the flu...

That's fine and dandy, but I was razzing Blue because he said that really is his reason for getting the shot. Which, let's be frank here, is a way more common reason than any sort of greater good.

3206 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo