Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2809 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse May 18, 2015, 14:25 jacobvandy

THIS is a map that shows how many hardline ISPs are available across the country. Set the minimum to 3 or more to see how prevalent (or not) competition really is.

In California, if you don't live in LA, SAC, or Bay areas, the most "choice" you have is usually Comcast cable or neutered AT&T DSL. AT&T is not allowed to offer their highest speeds (I believe they go up to 45+ Mbps in some places) anywhere that Comcast operates. Spin it how you like, but to me, 6 Mbps vs. 50+ Mbps spells M-O-N-O-P-O-L-Y. That's how it was where I lived previously; now I'm in a larger city (still smaller than Fresno, but six-figure population) and it's 18 Mbps vs. 100+.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA Drivers for The Witcher 3
14. Re: NVIDIA Drivers for The Witcher 3 May 18, 2015, 13:04 jacobvandy

Lord Tea wrote on May 18, 2015, 12:34:
jomisab wrote on May 18, 2015, 09:33:
Do these also restore the visual fidelity implied by the screenshots still on the Steam store page? Or the greater fidelity clearly evident in earlier gameplay trailers? lol...sorry, couldn't resist. I'm sure it's going to look amazing regardless.

I don't know about the drivers but the day-1 patch is said to bring back some of the quality of earlier trailers. Source (German)

There's no proof in that screenshot comparison they have there... It's just different lighting/time of day.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 18, 2015, 00:08 jacobvandy

Wally World has neither the service nor selection to offer any sort of "challenge," and since they're not guaranteeing two days or less, their price is merely competitive with the value of Prime. Most online shops' free shipping will get it to you in 3 days if it's not going clear across the country, that's not some kind of favor worth charging for when you have nationwide distribution... They're going to have to do a lot better.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 May 17, 2015, 20:48 jacobvandy

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 17, 2015, 20:15:
My PC is ready, my mouse is ready, my keyboard is ready. MY BODY IS READY.

Interestingly enough, GoG's downloader now shows a 7pm EST release time. Yesterday it was showing 8pm...I'm not complaining.

Must have been some kind of error, they announced the global unlock times a couple weeks ago and it's always been 4PM pacific, 7PM eastern. They chose to base it on midnight British Time for some reason.

Also, I'm expecting gamepad to rule this one.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
3. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 17, 2015, 14:27 jacobvandy

When it was down, I was merely reminded that I need to get a stream-stick for my TV already... Such bullshit that I can launch the Netflix app on PS3, see it load up fine, but not be allowed to use it because I can't login to PSN.  

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
17. Re: Saturday Screenshots May 17, 2015, 01:33 jacobvandy

Witcher 3 looks very similar to Dragon Age: Inquisition, which as you say isn't bad at all. But it could have been a lot better. Would have been, if it weren't for underwhelming console specs. That's why people are upset about it, about them teasing their idea of next-gen and then not following through.

This is what they had playable on the high-end PC of 2+ years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBFnOM5v5QQ

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
11. Re: Saturday Screenshots May 16, 2015, 22:33 jacobvandy

This is from what they claim to be an anonymous developer source inside CDPR, from the article on WhatIfGaming:

2013 was a tough time for CD Projekt RED simply because we were trying to create an entire bulk of the game on the older DirectX 9 renderer that we had in place for The Witcher 2. Most of the assets were created during the time we were creating our DX11 solution render pipeline to bring the next-generation experience to everyone. A lot of the footage including the debut gameplay trailer was done when the consoles were not even out and we only had an idea of the specifications of the system. This landed itself into problem territory when we realized the next-generation systems could not simply meet our graphical output to the desirable level of quality that we needed. There were several options: build three different builds or consolidate to the nearest denominator, which is what we did. We took the specifications of the lowest performing throughput system which I don’t care to mention here at all to avoid that discussion, and worked our way up from there. As almost a 250 man team, we sequentially had to take out/turn down a lot of features not just from our NVIDIA GameWorks pipeline but our normal game solution scripts as well – these include the following:

• Level of horizon detail (essentially the draw distance had to be completely tuned down to tax the consoles less)

• Volume based translucency

• Ambient occlusion and foliage density / tree count

• Flexible water simulation / tessellation we resorted to a (script texture effect similar to most games than physical based simulation)

• Ground/building tesselation

• Forward lit soft particles (this is the fire, smoke, fog that you would encounter while going through thick terrain into open space)

• Real-time reflections in the water are completely off and replaced with a cheaper render solution estimator (this is a primary reason blood splatter was also removed from water)

• We just did not have the manpower, budget or the console power to produce the vision we intended before the consoles were released to create a more visually stunning game of higher fidelity like 2013 assets. The PCs themselves had more than enough power to achieve this vision, almost certainly. But working on the game across 3 platforms did not make it feasible to keep features included that could potentially break the game as we kept building around it. All the 2013 trailers were actually in-game footage (not prerendered or vertical slices) but essentially just not an entirely finished world running on a high-end PC at the time.

And also responding to the question of why any downgrade was publicly denied:

In game development you simply just don’t explain it like this. It isn’t something a developer ever wants to admit to because it would make us look bad even if it is plain as day. It would make us seem like we’re incapable and that next-gen is not as next-gen as people would think. The team would rather focus on the positives than admit to any faults, negatives, or that the final product is not the vision they intended politically speaking (because the game still looks good but not 2013 good). As for the PC version, it looks just like the console versions just with a higher resolution and a lower-form of HairWorks in effect.

News Comments > Diablo III Anniversary Encownters
    4. Re: Diablo III Anniversary Encownters May 15, 2015, 21:27 jacobvandy

Really quite lame, there's no reason to hide THAT behind a random and relatively rare spawn of a unique monster which drops a portal like goblins sometimes do. There are a lot of chests (I counted at least a dozen resplendents and twice as many normals) in an area less than half the size of the Fields of Misery, but without the rift bonus to legendary drop rate, you won't get shit from them. Only a character still leveling might have some use for all those yellows and blues beyond salvaging the latter.  

News Comments > Diablo III Turns Three on PC; Celebrates With Console Buffs
    10. Re: Diablo III Turns Three on PC; Celebrates With Console Buffs May 15, 2015, 13:00 jacobvandy

Yeah, PC gets the cow level "buff" like the new consoles do. Don't be surprised when you get console-specific news from the Console Discussion forum...

Everyone says it sucks, though, and would rather just have the gold/XP bonus. Well everyone outside of NA, that is. Blizzard fucked up and it isn't active here, yet.

News Comments > etc.
    3. Re: etc. May 14, 2015, 18:40 jacobvandy

Just saw today about a trojan in a mod, which I imagine is a lot easier to pull off considering how GTA V mods are currently implemented... Be careful out there.  

News Comments > Diablo III Perma-CC Nerf Plans
    14. Re: Diablo III Perma-CC Nerf Plans May 14, 2015, 14:37 jacobvandy

Yeah, I've been playing Monk lately and discovered the high-end GR builds tend to rely on constantly blinding or freezing everything around you to stay alive... That is the kind of cheese they're probably looking to tone down. The effect in itself is not the issue, just the way in which you can optimize your gear (cooldown reduction or attack speed) to have it always in effect.

IMO, they should also look at eliminating the num-lock trick that a lot of people (including the leaderboard-topping "pros") use to auto-cast abilities... If you're going to use a build that relies on constantly spamming buffs or CCs while you run around and attack things, it should be on you to ensure those skills continue firing, not some quirk in the game's programming.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2015, 14:43.

News Comments > Game Reviews
    12. Re: Game Reviews May 14, 2015, 02:49 jacobvandy

That is our only hope... That the inevitable Enhanced Edition is worthy of its name and does justice to the PC. Now that they have millions of dollars pouring in, they should have the resources to do so.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
    9. Re: Game Reviews May 13, 2015, 23:59 jacobvandy

Anonymous source inside CDPR confirming Witcher 3 graphics downgrade.

tl;dr - Their demos from 2013 were accurate representations of what the game would have looked like if the next-gen consoles weren't complete and utter shite. He says that, upon finding out they grossly over-estimated the power of the PS4 and Xbone, they were forced to cater to the lowest common denominator, insisting they didn't/don't have the resources to tailor separate versions of the game to each platform's abilities.

News Comments > Path of Exile: The Awakening Support Packs & Divination Cards
    20. Re: Path of Exile: The Awakening Support Packs & Divination Cards May 13, 2015, 18:58 jacobvandy

The mods are integrated into the base game, yes, but they don't manifest nearly as frequently as during the challenge leagues. It's just not the same.  

News Comments > Tom Clancy’s The Division Delayed
    4. Re: Tom Clancy’s The Division Delayed May 12, 2015, 21:57 jacobvandy

Saw this coming with the news that they just added that fourth dev studio onto the project, Ubisoft Annecy. They've been doing the multiplayer and, oddly enough, the upgradeable player strongholds for several Assassin's Creed games.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule
    58. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 14:34 jacobvandy

Skyrim is the biggest open world fantasy RPG of all time*, so it's only natural to measure other similar games against it. It's like comparing a platformer to Mario, a sandbox builder to Minecraft, or a shooter to Call of Duty... It's easily relate-able.

*Of course I'm referring to its success, its status as a cultural phenomenon. It's the only one of its genre to even approach the all-time best-sellers list populated by the Marios and Pokemons and GTAs and Cawadootys.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Passes 1M Preorders; Preloads Underway?
    29. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Passes 1M Preorders; Preloads Underway? May 12, 2015, 05:39 jacobvandy

If it was possible 2+ years ago, why in the flying fuck isn't it "feasible" now? Or even in the near future; there's nothing stopping them from including features that even current hardware can't handle smoothly. The Witcher 2 flaunted a couple of settings like that. There's no explaining away what is a bonafide generational gap in graphics fidelity, if that is truly representative of the best visuals they're going to be shipping.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Passes 1M Preorders; Preloads Underway?
    25. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Passes 1M Preorders; Preloads Underway? May 12, 2015, 05:04 jacobvandy

Yeah... I really hope it's just some contract bullshit where they're not allowed to promote what the PC version looks like on fullest detail, so that people aren't disappointed with the console versions.  

News Comments > GOG.com Additions
    4. Re: GOG.com Additions May 11, 2015, 21:25 jacobvandy

I assume a GOG release of SR2 would have to fix any such performance quirk to be worth a damn.  

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint
    28. Re: Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint May 11, 2015, 14:41 jacobvandy

Dacron wrote on May 11, 2015, 13:31:
    All I want is a remake of Aliens vs Predator.... loved the multiplayer in it. So much better than guns vs guns, or melee vs melee, it was a mixed bag of everything. Scary at times as a human being stalked until you can see your stalker... thrilling as an alien to hunt and stalk, right until you're spotted and have to pounce or flee.

Much more interesting than hiding in a closet for an Alien to pass.

That happened about five years ago... Nobody seemed to like it very much, I thought it was pretty mediocre myself, and the multiplayer was not active for long at all. Rebellion were really high on themselves when they debuted at #1 in the UK and immediately started crowing about their critical (Metacritic 60s) and commercial success (1.69 million sold in the first three months). They were "in talks" with SEGA about a sequel, but considering we haven't heard a peep about it since then, I doubt it's coming.

2809 Comments. 141 pages. Viewing page 10.
    < Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo