Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2054 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway
13. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 12:18 jacobvandy

The game was pretty close to finished, functionally, by the time Ubisoft acquired it, so it's no wonder they're not using it. Of course they could have been forced to do so, but that might have delayed it further or at least required sacrificing some polish they were already committed to.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rockstar Trio Joining AIAS Hall of Fame
3. Re: Rockstar Trio Joining AIAS Hall of Fame Feb 4, 2014, 14:23 jacobvandy

Lazlow is actually a real guy known for his nationally-syndicated radio talk show based out of NYC. Of course most people didn't know that until he started working on and co-starring in GTA games, but yeah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazlow_Jones

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2014, 14:35.

News Comments > EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS
28. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 14:20 jacobvandy

According to Steam, 32-bit XP/Vista/7 combined account for about 20% of gamers. IMO it's way past time to go 64-bit only, it's better for everyone.  

News Comments > Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > 32M
20. Re: Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > 32M Feb 4, 2014, 00:05 jacobvandy

They definitely crushed Call of Duty Ghosts, but they don't/can't churn out a new GTA every year, so it's not quite on that level of cash cow.  

News Comments > Steam Music Beta Nears
9. Re: Steam Music Beta Nears Feb 3, 2014, 23:59 jacobvandy

Yeah, it is local files only... At best they're going to integrate with popular services like Spotify and Last.fm, but we're not seeing Steam offer music downloads yet.  

News Comments > Steam Music Beta Nears
4. Re: Steam Music Beta Nears Feb 3, 2014, 19:19 jacobvandy

Why is it odd for PC users? Integrating a music player into the overlay is just another reason as to why you'd never need to minimize your game. If it's simple and sleek enough, I might finally drop Winamp.  

News Comments > Dark Souls II on May 31?
6. Re: Dark Souls II on May 31? Feb 3, 2014, 16:50 jacobvandy

It's a fantastic game. It's tough, no doubt, but fair in the sense that it rewards thoughtful and deliberate actions. Basically if you're careful of your surroundings, use tactics to your advantage, and have some semblance of an idea as to how you want to build your character, it's not terribly difficult. There is plenty of info online for you to browse if ever you'd rather cut your suffering short as opposed to figuring out everything on your own. Things like boss strategies or locations of powerful items.  

4. Re: Dark Souls II on May 31? Feb 3, 2014, 15:27 jacobvandy

But it's 3 months between console and PC, and even that is rounded up a tad. I'm not counting the wait as it existed previously, just this newfound "delay."  

News Comments > January Steam Hardware & Software Survey
3. Re: January Steam Hardware & Software Survey Feb 3, 2014, 15:10 jacobvandy

Steam isn't just for gaming rigs, either... Plenty of desktops with no dedicated GPU play lots of games just fine. Older ones, mostly, but still.  

2. Re: Dark Souls II on May 31? Feb 3, 2014, 15:04 jacobvandy

Sheeit, I thought PC version was releasing at the same time... Ah well, 3 months isn't so bad.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
45. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 02:38 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 01:23:
You don't think that, if it was legal, you wouldn't have more people trying it out of curiosity?

Right now, illegality and it simply being difficult to access absolutely limits who is doing it. Obviously a large amount of people still have access to it, but I don't think it's hard to imagine that there are plenty of people that never try it because they never have the opportunity, and that the legal issues further discourage them from overcoming that. I don't think many people would disagree that no one listens to what the government discourages us from. Some, however, do listen to what they prohibit us from.

Removing all barriers will absolutely increase first time users, and for things like meth, first time users are never only time users.
This isn't something like marijuana, which is harmless. This is something that legitimately destroys people.

Also, the "if people want to ruin themselves I say let them" argument below Prez' is a terrible one.

Lol, well since you avoid everything else in my post under the pretense of disagreeing with the basic premise of personal liberty laid out in the first sentence, could you at least explain why you think that's so terrible? Or are you just being typically disingenuous like so many others who are so quick to shrug off any notion of legalizing drugs? I don't think the government needs to be in the business of protecting people from themselves. Certainly not if the only goal is to prevent your "large amount of people" (I'd wager less than 1% of the population, are those who are inclined to want to do hard drugs and the only thing stopping them is a law) from harming themselves because they're stupid. It wouldn't be ignorance, either, because you would still have education of the dangers out there, as well as resources for those who need help when they've gotten in over their heads. Just like you do now for tobacco and alcohol, and those aren't even a fraction as harmful. At some point you need to allow common sense to do its work, or else you end up with Idiocracy.

Again, do you really think all of the negative consequences of these drugs being illegal is worth protecting that small subsect of the population from doing something dumb?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
39. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 00:26 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 17:38:
Prez wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 17:12:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 15:53:

Drug od at 46? Hows that legal argument now?

So if someone commits suicide with a gun should those be illegal too? I am extremely libertarian when it comes to individual rights, so yes, I absolutely think drugs should be legal.

All drugs?
Meth and PCP?

Why not? If people want to ravage themselves with chemicals, let them be idiots and die terrible deaths. Legalization solves a lot more problems than maybe keeping a few weak-minded individuals away from trying and/or abusing those drugs is worth. The least of which is the huge networks of underground crime that are causing most drug-related violence. Unfortunately, there's more money to be made in taking bribes (including crooked lobbyists on criminal payroll insisting drugs stay illegal) and running private prisons than there is to start selling name-brand meth at Walgreens... So it's not gonna happen.

Totally different situation than marijuana (huge market for that and not very profitable in the smaller amounts achievable in secret), which is why you're seeing this domino effect of legalization all across the country. The powers that be are starting to see that it's more worthwhile to legitimize the weed market than it is to keep jailing people for no reason and seizing the occasional duffle bag of cash from underground operations -- it's only a coincidence that in this case, personal liberty is aligned with the best interests of corporate and bureaucratic greed.

Legalizing narcotics does not mean you suddenly stop policing people's behavior, either. It is still illegal to drive under the influence, or go batshit insane on angel dust and attack someone. These things already happen regardless of the drug being illegal, because people are stupid and do stupid things. It is not the government's job to try to prevent that.

News Comments > PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales
22. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 17:34 jacobvandy

Jensen wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 15:51:
Minecraft sold about 800k copies at $13, 3.5m at $20, and the rest at $27.

It looks like the first 20k copies may have been about $7.

The only "sale" they've had on the game is "two for the price of one" for a couple of days around Notch's wedding day.

Add to that 11+ million copies on Xbox and PS3 at $20, and 16.5+ million copies on Android and iOS at $7. Xbone, PS4, and Vita versions are all coming out this year, too.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 2, 2014, 17:21 jacobvandy

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 12:32:
DayZ are you sure? Rust has been on the top every time I have looked (every day)... how strange.

The top sellers list shown on the Steam front page is not the same as the weekly. It has some different, unknown criteria as to what exactly determines the rankings. Like if it is based on hourly sales, it's possible DayZ had some large bursts of sales that put it #1 on that list for short periods of time sporadically, but were enough to put it over the top overall, as well.

News Comments > Dontnod Entertainment Clarifies
5. Re: Dontnod Entertainment Clarifies Feb 1, 2014, 03:13 jacobvandy

"We're not broke" is spin. Obviously they are, or they wouldn't need reorganization. That simple enough for you to understand?  

3. Re: Dontnod Entertainment Clarifies Feb 1, 2014, 02:56 jacobvandy

Let's not split hairs here, if they're broke, they're broke. Chapter 11 is still bankruptcy. If they're capable of so easily transitioning into a smaller but still functional company, why does their government need to get involved in that? Just sounds like PR spin to me.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Feb 1, 2014, 00:15 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 19:05:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 19:03:
Blue, Quinto is starring in the movie, but the Hitman role is being played by Rupert Friend, from Homeland.

I liked Olyphant, too bad they didn't keep him on. He's such a badass.

But he looked terrible, and weird, without hair.
Plus I liked his character less than someone more proper.
Lastly, Hitman not being a success led his career to Justified, so it all works out as far as I'm concerned, haha.

Article says the last Hitman movie made $99 million on a budget of $24, so it actually did pretty good.

1. Re: Dontnod Entertainment Clarifies Jan 31, 2014, 20:31 jacobvandy

Tomato, tomato...  

News Comments > John Carmack Offers QuakeCon Talk
12. Re: John Carmack Offers QuakeCon Talk Jan 31, 2014, 18:17 jacobvandy

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 13:57:
Frankly I don't see the point to QuakeCon. There are no new Quake games, Quake Live recently had Mac and Linux support dropped, and Carmack isn't even with id anymore.

What is the point?

They still have Quake tournaments. It's a LAN party, not your usual ____Con. It wasn't until recently (probably when Bethesda bought them up, actually) that it started turning into a publisher-specific marketing bash.

News Comments > QuakeCon 2014 in July
8. Re: QuakeCon 2014 in July Jan 31, 2014, 00:10 jacobvandy

His lectures might be one of the more interesting things to do there, but it's hardly the only thing. Most people are there just to be there, to get together with people from all over the country in the LAN atmosphere. Everything else is just fluff.  

2054 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo