Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2204 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 15, 2014, 17:44 jacobvandy

Orogogus wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 02:42:
It would be more free if you didn't have to buy TurboTax, is the point. Their whole business is based on lobbying the government to keep sucking.

You don't have to buy TurboTax... Just get a free account on their website and it's all right there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2014, 12:36 jacobvandy

The aggressive effort to collect old debts started three years ago the result of a single sentence tucked into the farm bill lifting the 10-year statute of limitations on old debts to Uncle Sam.

And there you go. Fucking hell...

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Getting AMD Mantle Support
3. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Getting AMD Mantle Support Apr 15, 2014, 11:38 jacobvandy

I have no idea what you're talking about.

But Civ is far more reliant on CPU than GPU. You will improve your FPS more, and cut down a lot on time between turns, with a better processor. It's practically a 2D game in terms of its visual load; when you have a huge game going and you're scrolling around the map, it's more your data processing capabilities (CPU/RAM/disk) that are the limiting factor, not rendering all the tiny, repeating, and not-very-detailed 3D models.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 15, 2014, 02:27 jacobvandy

Seems the new generation of consoles launching has thrown a monkey wrench in for the PC release. Maybe it'll arrive simultaneously with Xbone and PS4 versions, but we could possibly see the usual exclusivity timeframe being delayed until those are out.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 15, 2014, 02:17 jacobvandy

I don't really care, all I know is TurboTax is pretty quick and easy and FREE for filing my FIT... They bug me to pay a fee to transfer the info over to my state filing, but I just ignore all that nonsense.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Apr 15, 2014, 01:56 jacobvandy

The entire argument against violent video games is moot, because violent video games are not made for kids... It goes back to the parenting. Sitting little Johnny in front of Call of Duty all day (so you don't have to bother baby-sitting... GG parental responsibility) is no different than sending him to see an R-rated movie by himself or buying him an Insane Clown Posse album to listen to on his iPod, and then proceeding to complain about that stuff screwing him up mentally. That kind of media is not meant to be consumed by children, especially not without any sort of moderation or grounding wisdom to temper it. Any sane person who knows right from wrong will not be affected one way or the other. Many kids can and do handle exposure to violent games just fine... Quit trying to point fingers and regulate artistic expression, and start throwing retarded parents in jail.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
27. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 14, 2014, 06:27 jacobvandy

They don't do spring sales. Closest they ever had was last year with an all-indie promotion. Past 5 years has always been a 6-7 month wait between big winter and summer sales. That could change, obviously, but I don't understand the expectation when there's no precedent for it.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2014, 06:22 jacobvandy

Water. Temple.

That first time is a bitch.

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered CE Includes Light-up Ship
6. Re: Homeworld Remastered Includes Light-up Ship Apr 13, 2014, 16:16 jacobvandy

They didn't have to re-release the classics, you know... If it weren't Gearbox, you'd have a mobile remake instead (these guys were bidding on the IP, also). I doubt they're overly concerned with throwing money at the remastering when they could be putting that into the inevitable sequel.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 13, 2014, 16:08 jacobvandy

Orogogus wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 15:30:
Cpmartins wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 14:47:
DSII a given? Do you not remember the state DSI was released on PC? It was, quite literally, the worst port ever cobbled together and thrown on the platform I've seen. After people who are not connected in any way, shape or form to FROM fixed their game for them, it was an OK game. Not a great RPG or anything, but a very good action game.

Eh. The PC release of DS was objectively better in every way than the console versions. There are actually bad ports, like Resident Evil 4, which manage to be worse than their source material. Saints Row 2 kind of didn't run for a lot of people. Dead Space 1 with its vsync issue (you can turn it off, but yay, tearing).

Agreed. It was simply a port, which is more than they were ever planning to do. They were begged to release a PC version so I can't fault them for basically saying "okay, but this is exactly what you'll get."

News Comments > PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming
17. Re: PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming Apr 12, 2014, 20:02 jacobvandy

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 15:43:
I know. That was really insulting to a thoroughbred PC gamer, too. But back then with the extremely limited functionality (I mean the weapons were just for show so all he needed was up/down/left/right/accelerate/decelerate) it was at least somewhat understandable that maybe he grabbed the closest peripheral he had lying around.

But now with a game that is supposedly pretty complex in the space avionics department and given the fact that CIG have been heavily advertising for Saitek in recent weeks, you'd think he'd at least have the decency to grab that X55 Rhino to show shit off.

I mean what kind of "space sim enthusiast" would seriously play any fucking space sim with a fucking console controller?
That's just going full retard, man. It's like going to a Harley Davidson con without a bimbo in the back seat and riding a fucking Honda.

From what I could sit through of that gameplay footage, I did catch one guy in the audience yell pretty clearly "You'd be able to hit him if you used a mouse!" or something like that. Best part of the video IMO.

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed?
19. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed? Apr 12, 2014, 19:46 jacobvandy

NewMaxx wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 19:32:
Needless to say, I got an A, and I have the suspicion that my professor knew what I was referencing.

Nah, I think you did need to say that, lol. I certainly wouldn't have inferred that using a quote from a game got you an automatic A.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Apr 12, 2014, 18:09 jacobvandy

Nobody goes to Newegg to buy PC games, because they don't have much to offer. Used to be nothing but retail boxes, and it appears they only have digital code distribution from a few publishers. Not to mention, the margins are guaranteed to be shitty compared to selling console games and accessories.

But there are some PC deals there if you cared to look: http://www.newegg.com/Digital_Games/PromotionStore/ID-2126840?icid=241383

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 12, 2014, 02:04 jacobvandy

I played the shit out of Guitar Hero from World Tour on, as well as Rock Band 2 and 3 plus a ton of their DLC... Got my feet wet with RB3 pro mode and now I play a proper guitar using Rocksmith, fairly well. Doubtful I'll be actually playing in a real band or anything, but vidya games did indeed teach me an instrument, and I'm getting better all the time.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 11, 2014, 20:12 jacobvandy

Lesson learned -- never put anything down in writing.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2014, 16:19 jacobvandy

Goats screaming bloody murder to the tune of the GoT theme just blows that shitty AT&T parody away.  

News Comments > Heartbleed Vulnerabilities
2. Re: Heartbleed Vulnerabilities Apr 11, 2014, 12:36 jacobvandy

You do what you need to do, but I'd rather our government not grow any more than it already has... It's not worth it just to relieve myself of some personal responsibility.  

News Comments > Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced
31. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 11, 2014, 02:17 jacobvandy

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 23:56:
I just...I mean...how does this fit at all with his "SWG players, welcome home" thing? Uh, Zombies....yeah, not seeing the connection.

Player-driven sandbox, where you can build your own town and go to war with other groups. He never said it had anything to do with Star Wars the property (futuristic, laser swords, etc.).

News Comments > Morning Patches
24. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 20:36 jacobvandy

It's fine to have that opinion, I can't prove the prevalence one way or the other. I never meant to imply that they make their balancing decisions purely on the basis of thwarting farmers, either, just that is is a side effect if not a contributing factor. We can agree to disagree on that. But my point is the scenario only exists now *because* you can't directly transfer gold anymore. Any game where a major goal is to amass wealth will have gold farmers, period.  

News Comments > Morning Patches
22. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 20:13 jacobvandy

2204 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo