Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2300 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers
25. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 6, 2014, 07:23 jacobvandy

I want to upgrade to an Xbone controller just to be rid of that god fucking awful 360 "D-pad." It's not even a D-pad, it's a really shitty hat switch... It's a nightmare trying to use it with any kind of accuracy in a game where it's needed to navigate something in all four directions, like the menus in Dark Souls 2.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Magic 2014 Duels of the Planeswalkers Free Weekend
5. Re: Magic 2014 Duels of the Planeswalkers Free Weekend Jun 5, 2014, 19:11 jacobvandy

It wasn't a massive overhaul, but they did indeed change the UI to be more mouse-friendly and made a handful of quality-of-life improvements to gameplay with 2014.  

News Comments > GOG.com Announces Optional Client
9. Re: GOG.com Announces Optional Client Jun 5, 2014, 17:23 jacobvandy

I think you guys are making a massive leap in anticipating they will be enabling online multiplayer for old, unsupported games. I also have no idea what their concept of "cross-play" actually means. Access to the Steam community and those that are in it is arguably the single most advantageous aspect of selling your game on Steam. I can't imagine Valve would support anything that somehow enabled third-party software to tap into that in any meaningful way. Need more info.  

News Comments > Defiance Now Free-to-Play
10. Re: Defiance Now Free-to-Play Jun 5, 2014, 06:39 jacobvandy

Steam doesn't yet have the option to install it for free, but that's fine by me because their servers are already melting down from the influx of players from other avenues. I'm interested in trying it, but I'll give it a month or two for them to work out the kinks.  

News Comments > Dying Light E3 Trailer
8. Re: Dying Light E3 Trailer Jun 4, 2014, 19:27 jacobvandy

I'm liking the pitch black nights. Hopefully there is some incentive for the risk of going out into that, rather than encouraging you to just wait it out or skip it.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 "Netcode" Patch
16. Re: Battlefield 4 Jun 3, 2014, 23:12 jacobvandy

bhcompy wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 21:31:
Valve does the same thing for any Source engine based game, dude. By default the update rate(updates requested from cpu tick) and command rate(updates sent to server per cpu tick) are set to 66. On servers that change server side cvars, you can set your rates up to 125(the max commonly supported by high quality servers). These must be set manually and they are not indicated anywhere in the configuration. It sounds like DICE is actually doing a bit better by placing it in the settings menu somewhere.

The difference being, bro, that Source engine games do not lag horribly by default. Adjusting them is not required to bring hit detection or other communication to a remotely acceptable level. Unlike BF4, where it apparently is.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 "Netcode" Patch
6. Re: Battlefield 4 Jun 3, 2014, 20:03 jacobvandy

I'm sorry... what? How is this optional, client-side fix supposed to help things?

Probably 3/4 of the players are going to be completely oblivious and NOT use it, for starters. But then if you do decide to use it, what exactly will it accomplish? Will you be transmitting your actions to the server and thus other players with less latency, so that they can more accurately keep track of you? Or are you pulling data from the server at a faster rate so that you can more accurately keep track of everyone else? You need to be doing both, for everybody, to actually fix gameplay issues. At least, I would think so.

Haven't they had broadband internet as a requirement for online action games for the past decade? Why are they designing "netcode" to accomodate people with less than 1 Mbit? They need to specify whether that's up or down, but either way, the point stands. At the very least, let it be a server-specific setting with filters in the browser, so you can avoid high latency environments where the 56kers or barebones DSL schmucks are hanging out.

News Comments > Mortal Kombat X Announced
6. Re: Mortal Kombat X Announced Jun 2, 2014, 21:14 jacobvandy

That's just how fighting game characters are; their state of being is pass/fail, dependent on that health bar.  

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MP Saved by Patch
14. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MP Saved by Patch Jun 2, 2014, 19:21 jacobvandy

harlock wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 17:24:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 15:54:
It's not an MMO.

have you even looked at the website?

"Survarium is a free2play MMOFPS game set in the near future."

It's marketing schlock, unless they've completely changed their design goals in the past year... Which I very much doubt. Just like the world's first "MMOFPS" Huxley, or Hellgate: London, or Battlefield Play4Free, or any number of other online-only shooters, it barely qualifies for the acronym, let alone follows traditional MMO philosophy. There is no persistent, open world, period. They've been clear about that the whole time. It is 100% session-based, whether you're waiting for matchmaking to hook you into a TDM for 20 minutes or you're doing Free Play mode that is just another iteration of the PVP survival sandbox, wherein the server restarts every couple hours and the only thing that carries over is your character. I'm a huge fan of STALKER, dude, I've done much more research into this game than glancing at the official site. I came away disappointed, is all I'm saying.

11. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MP Saved by Patch Jun 2, 2014, 15:54 jacobvandy

It's not an MMO.  

9. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MP Saved by Patch Jun 2, 2014, 14:57 jacobvandy

I'm unimpressed with Survarium so far, but even if they do put out something worth playing in the F2P space, it definitely won't be a STALKER successor. It will have more in common with Hawken (session PVP) and DayZ (open "PVE" with PKing option).  

News Comments > Sniper Elite V2 Anti-Tease
1. Re: Sniper Elite V2 Anti-Tease Jun 2, 2014, 11:42 jacobvandy

Sounds like a free weekend to me. Maybe Steam isn't keen on those being announced ahead of time, so devs have to do weird shit like this trying to give their fans a heads up.  

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Announced
20. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 11:24 jacobvandy

Well, the government is virtually owned by China, in part. They're one of the largest single creditors of ours, at over a trillion bucks. It's like in Game of Thrones, who are the only people the Lannisters fear? The Iron Bank across the sea...

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2014, 11:29.

4. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MP Saved by Patch Jun 2, 2014, 11:16 jacobvandy

Which makes it all the more impressive that they've done here what many large publishers have neglected to do for their 4-7 year-old games...  

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
11. Re: Saturday Interviews May 31, 2014, 14:22 jacobvandy

Yeah, I thought we had a clickbait section now?  

News Comments > Rise of Nations: Extended Edition Next Month
7. Re: Rise of Nations: Extended Edition Next Month May 30, 2014, 19:06 jacobvandy

Now this I want. Screw Age of Whatever...  

News Comments > DICE Opens BF Hardline Preorders; Promises Continued BF4 Support
25. Re: DICE Opens BF Hardline Preorders; Promises Continued BF4 Support May 29, 2014, 15:17 jacobvandy

Going on two years of ignoring everything EA releases... CODifying Battlefield is most certainly not helping their case in my eyes. Any of these upcoming games will have to be super fucking amazing and flawless if they're going to win me back. It just sucks, because I used to love playing them, up to and including BF3.  

News Comments > Interstellar Marines Spearhead Earlier Early Access
2. Re: Interstellar Marines Spearhead Earlier Early Access May 29, 2014, 12:57 jacobvandy

No idea. I bought the Spearhead package 3-4 years ago (they were actually brilliantly ahead of the curve when it came to crowdfunding) when they were promising a super-immersive co-op Half-Life in space... Now all I can do is ignore this nonsense about a multiplayer shooter mode while simultaneously hoping it manages to keep them afloat long enough to actually deliver at least some of the campaign.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed
57. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed May 29, 2014, 12:53 jacobvandy

This still qualifies as news? Sounds like business as usual to me...  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Kill The Bad Guy
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kill The Bad Guy May 28, 2014, 18:30 jacobvandy

It's a puzzle game, you have to figure out how to kill the target based on his behavior, the environment, and the resources available to you.  

2300 Comments. 115 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo