Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2356 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins
9. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 18, 2014, 22:34 jacobvandy

And anyway, I'm willing to bet that the majority of people participating in such "beta tests" are only interested in getting to play the game earlier, not actually providing feedback... I'll be skipping it, too, though. Not really into beta testing story-based RPGs.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 17, 2014, 21:26 jacobvandy

Redmask wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 19:43:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 16:21:
Even if that's so, he's promoting the practice, raising money around it, and using their copyrighted materials to do so.

Bad argument, its a tool to run something, its not the material itself.

Nintendo's brand names, and box art? Those are copyrighted materials being used without permission... He's going to have to be a lot more generic in his descriptions and examples if he's going to completely avoid legal trouble, but oh, dang! How is he going to invoke the nostalgia-fueled *ka-ching* effect he's relying on without those key words and images?

Lucky for him, apparently only the copyright or trademark holder can file a complaint about such shenanigans to Kickstarter. So if Nintendo isn't aware by now, it'll probably go by unnoticed and they'll get their money.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2014, 21:33.

3. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 17, 2014, 16:21 jacobvandy

Even if that's so, he's promoting the practice, raising money around it, and using their copyrighted materials to do so.  

1. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 17, 2014, 11:02 jacobvandy

Calling it "retro gaming" doesn't absolve you from the fact you're building an OS around emulators and ROMs... If Nintendo catches wind of this, I'm sure he can expect a strongly-worded letter from their lawyers.  

News Comments > Play Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare for Free
5. Re: Play Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare for Free Aug 15, 2014, 11:52 jacobvandy

Or, by mandating the free play time occurs simultaneously for everybody, you have a weekend that is guaranteed to be chock full of player activity, which is pretty important for a multiplayer title...  

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Evening Patches Aug 14, 2014, 23:07 jacobvandy

Well, I'm more glad about additional library management features than I am annoyed that issue persists, so... Along with the slight facelift and increased performance, I'm calling this one a win.  

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Trailer
5. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Trailer Aug 14, 2014, 07:22 jacobvandy

Can't wait to run and jump around to see those little robot claws waving in the air in front of me!  

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault Announced
2. Re: Company of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault Announced Aug 13, 2014, 19:14 jacobvandy

I couldn't get into COH2 (the campaign), because the cold mechanics annoyed me... Also bad checkpoint saving just exacerbated the previous problem.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 12, 2014, 17:54 jacobvandy

Does the sports franchise care when corporations buy out their stadium seating in bulk, leaving little more revenue to be made up by the average fan?  

News Comments > Steam TV and Film Support Hints?
8. Re: Steam TV and Film Support Hints? Aug 12, 2014, 17:25 jacobvandy

These are app types being added into the Steam database code. Alongside things we already have available in the store (or as subscriptions alongside other purchases) like games, tools, applications, demos, etc., there are now films, tv series, and music. So looks like it's more than just supporting delivery of content through a clientside portal, these are gonna be products they're offering. Possibly.  

News Comments > First Diablo III Paragon 1000 Livestream
10. Re: First Diablo III Paragon 1000 Livestream Aug 12, 2014, 13:12 jacobvandy

No new paragon portrait for 1000? What the fuck, lol. People have been complaining about how little difference there is between every 10 levels, you should have something amazing for 1000... If it were a topless Leah, you'd have at least a few dozen people hitting that level by now.  

News Comments > Steam TV and Film Support Hints?
5. Re: Steam TV and Film Support Hints? Aug 12, 2014, 13:06 jacobvandy

Well, if you didn't see this coming, you haven't been paying attention. Especially with their push into the living room... They could be the iTunes and Apple TV for their tens of millions of gamers.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Multiplayer Details; Video
12. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Multiplayer Details; Video Aug 12, 2014, 07:30 jacobvandy

Bucky wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 21:11:
They still haven't figured out that one-shot-kill weapons that require little skill suck to play against. Granted, it keeps the skill ceiling nice and low and therefore everyone feels awesome, but it's still poor game design, IMO. Let's be honest here, the CoD series has always been designed this way; they're shooting galleries first, competitive matches second.

CoD has been about one-hit kill weapons since the beginning... Only noobs played Carentan because they had to have their SMGs, but my fondest memories are from hardcore rifles-only in Brecourt and Bocage, etc.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 10, 2014, 18:43 jacobvandy

PHJF wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 18:15:

I know it sounds crazy, but every organic, unpredictable, adrenaline-pumping encounter with other people you have in that game, makes the previous couple hours of running around doing next to nothing SO WORTH IT. There's nothing else like it, period. That's why it's popular.

I get that from invasions in Dark Souls. It helps that Dark Souls doesn't, you know, suck ass like DayZ.

Nah, the PVP in Dark Souls 2 is fundamentally, objectively dissimilar... OH NO YOU'VE BEEN INVADED, here he comes, see, he's flashing red and he's gonna try to kill you! It adds some spice, sure, but that's nothing like DayZ.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 10, 2014, 15:36 jacobvandy

I know it sounds crazy, but every organic, unpredictable, adrenaline-pumping encounter with other people you have in that game, makes the previous couple hours of running around doing next to nothing SO WORTH IT. There's nothing else like it, period. That's why it's popular.

Of course, this is after you know what you're doing... If you don't stick through the learning sheer-rock-face, you're just gonna think it's lame.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 9, 2014, 13:19 jacobvandy

Yeah... Switching between RTS and RTS or MOBA and MOBA or even RTS and MOBA isn't exactly like switching from basketball to baseball... Let me know when one of those guys is just as good in an FPS.  

News Comments > Sierra Entertainment Revival
10. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 11:29 jacobvandy

Well, think about it, who knows what Sierra is and what it represents? The older nerds, who are throwing [tens of] millions of dollars at indie developers for the mere PROMISE of a new old-school game... This is the first step in Activision engaging and pursuing that demographic. If nothing else, they're finally starting to realize that you can fleece the younger and naive for only so much, and so long. They have this brand and these properties they've been sitting on, but now that they believe they're coming back into style, they're dusting them off and trotting them out along the runway.  

News Comments > Ryse: Son of Rome Roaming onto PCs
30. Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Roaming onto PCs Aug 7, 2014, 18:38 jacobvandy

Deep Silver is a distributor here, for physical copies. Crytek doesn't need them for digital.  

News Comments > Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds
9. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 13:28 jacobvandy

Lol, I like that it has the tag "pixel graphics" on the Steam page...  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 4, 2014, 00:02 jacobvandy

Don't worry, it's just the gradual, inevitable breakdown of society... People regularly call 911 because they aren't satisfied with their service at fast food restaurants, etc.  

2356 Comments. 118 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo