Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2815 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
121. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 5, 2015, 04:49 jacobvandy

NVIDIA drivers enabled AO in Skyrim, so the same will apply here, I'm sure. I fear it will have the same glitches, though, if nothing major has changed with the engine... AO should not be drawing shadowy outlines around your weapon onto the ground, completely shattering the illusion of a 3D scene.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Trailer
4. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 20:40 jacobvandy

I like the destruction, but yeah, Tom Clancy continues to roll in his grave like a hog on a spit.  

News Comments > Steam Machine Preorders
14. Re: Steam Machine Preorders Jun 4, 2015, 15:29 jacobvandy

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 15:09:
Is there a point to Steamlink if you can just hook up a video cable to your TV? Wouldn't there be more latency going through another device?

The point is you stream it over a network because you don't have your computer close enough to do that. And/or you have too much pride to string a 50-foot cable through a hallway.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 4, 2015, 14:31 jacobvandy

Record companies do not trust the open-ness of the PC platform. Harmonix has a hard enough time getting some artists or rights-holders to sign off on it when only consoles are involved, because the way they make the game means they HAVE to have the stems. Individual instrumental tracks that are far more closely guarded than an MP3 version of the final mix. The latter of which is all you need for Rocksmith (well, and the rights to the tabs, I guess), which I guarantee makes it a lot easier for Ubisoft to license music for their game. The only roadblocks I hear about for them are exclusivity deals that Activision has locked in for the various Guitar Hero contracts. Harmonix runs into those same issues, for example with Metallica and Van Halen songs.

An easily-accessible PC version of Rock Band would mean they'd have to put a lot more effort into protecting the song files, and they probably just don't want to bother. Especially for the relatively low volume of sales they'd do compared to consoles. Rock Band is a living room activity. And no, Steam Machines existing are not a good enough reason for PC to be included in that, despite how Eurogamer tries to sell it as such.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
9. Re: Morning Screenshots Jun 4, 2015, 14:13 jacobvandy

Since so many of you have apparently forgotten what Fallout 3 looked like:

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/22300/0000006111.jpg
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/22300/0000006112.jpg
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/22300/0000006113.jpg
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/22300/0000006115.jpg
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/22300/0000006116.jpg
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/22300/0000006117.jpg
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/22300/0000006120.jpg
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/22300/0000006121.jpg
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/22300/0000006122.jpg
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/22300/0000006124.jpg
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/22300/0000006125.jpg

News Comments > Morning Patches
10. Re: Morning Patches Jun 4, 2015, 04:10 jacobvandy

There's an option in HUD customization to set it so they don't show on your minimap. But I'm not sure if that removes them from the world map... I haven't tried. The only way to avoid marking them there may be to refrain from grabbing everything off of the noticeboards.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 3, 2015, 23:37 jacobvandy

I did notice issues with time-outs Monday evening... Now if I can only remember to check back later and claim that $5 credit! Though I wish they'd just sack up and automatically give it out to the affected areas. I'm sure they have identified them if they figured out what the problem was.  

84. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 21:57 jacobvandy

Actually, I felt the Witcher 3's story relied too heavily on the "Thanks, but the princess is in another castle" crap. It lasts for pretty much the entire first half of the game, and if it weren't for all the open world distractions to even it out, it would not have been tolerable.  

7. Re: Morning Patches Jun 3, 2015, 21:01 jacobvandy

Depends on what it is. For example, the Temerian armor is available at a vendor in White Orchard, the prologue area. It's pretty expensive when you're just starting, but it's worth it.

As for the horse armor, I discovered it's a whole set of mid-range gear you can buy. Each the blinders, saddle, and saddle-bag contribute to the overall "armored" look. No actual special attributes.

News Comments > Overwatch Reaper Video
3. Re: Overwatch Reaper Video Jun 3, 2015, 17:39 jacobvandy

No, you're right, it's the equivalent of having both arms fully extended in front of you, as well as completely stiff and unmoving, while you're running around. Might look cool in an FPS game and be easier to stomach for those who can get motion-sick, but it's distinctly unnatural. Almost as unnatural as the tight FOV implying that you're holding the guns so close to your face that your wrists are practically touching either side of your jaw...  

5. Re: Morning Patches Jun 3, 2015, 17:27 jacobvandy

I'm wondering what the horse armor actually does... You have horse equipment slots for a monster trophy, saddlebags, saddle, and blinders. Makes the most sense for it to be an ultimate blinders upgrade, since the best one of those I found was a sort of metal face mask. Increase fear tolerance even further and maybe even increase mounted combat effectiveness?

As for further content updates, I've seen some compelling data-mined evidence for a New Game+ mode labeled DLC #9 in the code. I'd say a personal stash is very highly likely, as well.

News Comments > 3D Mini Golf Released
7. Re: 3D Mini Golf Released Jun 3, 2015, 17:21 jacobvandy

If you're referring to the construction of the wooden border around the putting green, it is actually more realistic for it to be a 14-sided polygon or whatever it is than a circle. Think about how you would build that yourself, would you really go to the trouble of shaping and molding a perfectly smooth ring for basically no reason? Are we really debating graphics for a virtual mini golf game? Go back to the Fallout 4 thread!  

57. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 15:25 jacobvandy

Hahaha, oh, man. I knew I could count on the Blue's crew for that this morning. Welp, I'm off to pre-order, don't ever change!  

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter
28. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Jun 3, 2015, 03:19 jacobvandy

Lord Tea wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 02:30:
Darks wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 16:13:
Anyone else wondering how they are going to fund this game when they are giving away three games. each game cost at least 20 dollars. and there are 11580 backers. times that by 20 and that already over 230 thousand.

Seems like a lot of funding is going to get wasted on a free game promised.

Giving away their own games at higher pledges is what keeps me from spending more than $20 on this KS. I felt screwed over when I originally backed Wasteland 2 with $75 with no free games bundled whereas most TotN backers got Wasteland 2 for free. I already have all their Kickstarter games so what's the point of spending more?

I'm only seeing a few backer tiers here now that offer extra games, so your reasoning is pretty flawed. I'm sure they don't put that as a reward at every higher tier specifically to avoid that scenario of people feeling like some of the value is wasted on them. All you have to do is steer clear of the following:

$55 Tormented Bard Tier (Digital) - Bard's Tale IV and Torment: Tides of Numenera

$75 Tormented Irradiated Bard Tier (Digital) - BT4 + Manual, Wasteland 2, and TToN

$200 Eternally Tormented Irradiated Bard Tier (Digital) - BT4 + crapload of extras, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, TToN

Less than 20% of the backers for Torment got Wasteland 2 for free because they set it up similarly then. Only the $45 and $80 digital tiers and physical tiers $250+ had that included...

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Open Beta
10. Re: Dirty Bomb Open Beta Jun 2, 2015, 22:52 jacobvandy

You mean people actually played multiplayer in a Batman: Arkham game? That doesn't sound right to me. I think you can keep on saying ET:QW was the last one.  

News Comments > Steam Expands Refund Policy
30. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 18:42 jacobvandy

saluk wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 17:24:
I actually think this is going to make everybody more money in the long run. Easier refunds equals more impulse buys, which could very easily outweigh the money lost with handling the refunds.

People do refunds with chargebacks already too, so much better to have some control over the method of the refund and get the good will associated.

The only people who will make less money are the outright turds and the early access scams, which are exactly who we want to make less money.

Yup, I wonder if they default it to Steam wallet funds and most people won't realize they can change that... Valve wins again!

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter
21. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Jun 2, 2015, 16:19 jacobvandy

Darks wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 16:13:
Anyone else wondering how they are going to fund this game when they are giving away three games. each game cost at least 20 dollars. and there are 11580 backers. times that by 20 and that already over 230 thousand.

Seems like a lot of funding is going to get wasted on a free game promised.

Erm, you realize there's no way they're actually paying regular price for copies of games to give away? It costs them nothing to do so with their own game, and I doubt they're paying much in terms of actual dollars to GOG for Witcher keys, either, if at all.

News Comments > Steam Expands Refund Policy
8. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 15:01 jacobvandy

LittleMe wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:51:
Nice! Two hours is fine for some games, not for others. I suspect if we disconnect from the Internet and play and those hours won't be counted. Sometimes it takes five or ten hours to realize a game sucks or we just can't play it or that it is incomplete.

They had to cut it off somewhere... Two hours is also long enough to beat tons of games that are available there.

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV 1st Day Kickstarter Incentive
5. Re: The Bard's Tale IV 1st Day Kickstarter Incentive Jun 2, 2015, 00:33 jacobvandy

WaltC wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 22:22:
I am all for a new Bard's Tale game--Bard's Tale IV sounds fine--but I have to ask--where's Fargo been for the last 20-25 years, eh? I could have used the fourth installment in the series a long time ago. It was actually due a couple of decades back, IIRC. We ought to be hitting around Bard's Tale VIII or so at this time...;) Better late than never, of course--but I have to wonder at the lack of judgement many of these game devs and/or publishers seem to have in terms of knowing their markets and what kinds of games their paying audiences want to see.

I think with many of these guys the problem is they are too close to the forest to see the proverbial tree--I mean, look at Chris Taylor's obvious confusion as to what people like/want to see. (I feel bad for the guy and hope he's getting along under his new boss.) It's like when a Kickstarter makes it and does amazing things--it's like the developers are dumbfounded and can't really understand it because they'd written these types of games off long ago for some unfathomable reasons. So here's Brian back with another Bard's Tale--only 15-20 years late, that is. Go figure...(Talk about "missed opportunities!)

The developers have been wanting to make these games for just about as long as you've been waiting... It's the publishers who have shot it down time and time again, so they are the ones who deserve your criticism. Hence why the rise of Kickstarter and crowd-funding in general has resulted in the return of so many classic franchises and genres. Did you think it was just a coincidence?

And beyond that, Brian Fargo did not have the rights to the Bard's Tale IP until just recently. Another issue you can take up with a big publisher, Electronic Arts, which has been sitting on it for decades. The last game they made in this vein, 2004's The Bard's Tale by inXile, only loosely borrowed its themes and could not use any of the same story or characters (however, it seems the title was no longer trademarked, heh).

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Hatred
15. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Hatred Jun 1, 2015, 23:46 jacobvandy

If the top several "most helpful" entries are anything to go by, I'd say a majority of them are meaningless joke reviews. Which is a pretty big problem with Steam community reviews in general. At least Amazon moderates their user opinions to the point of requiring you say things about the actual product.  

2815 Comments. 141 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo