Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2299 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2014, 15:17 jacobvandy

Lol, anybody would kill to have a "was" like Minecraft still is... Nothing else on the Steam Top 10 would ever come close. They grossed half a million bucks in the past 24 hours, on the PC alone, which is probably more than some of the games on this list did all of last week.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jul 20, 2014, 09:27 jacobvandy

As much as I've been enjoying Rocksmith, it is most definitely NOT a replacement for Rock Band... There are no drums, no keys, I'm not even sure it's possible to play guitar and bass together (haven't tried). The vocals are karaoke display only. They've streamlined it as a teaching and practice tool, whereas RB3 was all about the band experience, gigs and style. I'm all for having both, the only problem would be, what in the fuck am I gonna do with something like 300 DLC songs I bought for RB3 on PS3... You know Sony isn't gonna transfer that over. =/  

News Comments > Next DOOM Details Next Year
10. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 15:54 jacobvandy

DangerDog wrote on Jul 19, 2014, 15:15:
It has been rebooted and it is in trouble.

I still don't have any confidence in what they're making, nothing faithful to the original balls-to-the-walls action and gore, trying to go the slow and spooky scary route is so wrong for Doom.

Err, that is the total opposite of the impressions I've read... People are claiming they were lazy in simply ripping off the Brutal Doom mod, because of the completely over-the-top fast-paced action (including some light parkour) and excessive gore with melee finishers.

News Comments > Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes
3. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 10:38 jacobvandy

Longswd wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 10:12:
Still doesn't sound like enough, considering the loss of unique properties from off hand items. Certainly no Wizard will be switching to staves.

Pretty much this... It's a small Crusader buff, but that's about it.

News Comments > The Crew Closed Beta Monday
4. Re: The Crew Closed Beta Monday Jul 17, 2014, 20:53 jacobvandy

It's scaled way, way down, I'm sure. Like you could have a map only 100x100 miles and that is thousands of square miles...  

News Comments > Firefall Early Access
4. Re: Firefall Early Access Jul 15, 2014, 22:47 jacobvandy

LittleMe wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 21:31:
I'll try it. I've noticed a lot of the Steam user reviews aren't really reviews just a few vague sentences of how great it supposedly is.

Surprise! The only people who've had the game on Steam before today are hardcore fans from the forums, participating in the closed "delta testing" of the release day content.

News Comments > Terraria OS X and Linux Ports, Maybe
3. Re: Terraria OS X and Linux Ports, Maybe Jul 14, 2014, 22:20 jacobvandy

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 19:21:
Oh god, not more reasons for me to play Terraria again?

I can't believe they aren't just working on a sequel. While it's literally the best $2.50 I've spent on a game, I'd rather have an all new game from them to explore than having to fire up yet another generated world just to see some new stuff here and there.

He's actually been working on a sequel for some time now, even given a couple interviews as to the features he's planning.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
9. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 13, 2014, 22:29 jacobvandy

Matt and Trey have nothing to do with it... Comedy Central has 100% control over the property. So if you're gonna throw a tantrum over them monetizing it more effectively, blame the right people. SPS was an unbelievably generous exception to the rule of online television distribution, especially considering they were still trying to sell DVDs and there was never any commercial interruption if you simply used Adblock or similar. So I'll be sad to see it go, but I'm frankly amazed it has lasted this long...  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 13, 2014, 00:51 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 18:36:
DangerDog wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 13:32:
What a colossal waste of money, schools should just go back to the basics without tablets and computers. Just look at where many CEO's of tech giants send their kids to school, most of them are dead set against their children being over exposed to technology for good reason.

Do you have children? Modern computerized learning systems are extremely useful and effective. Unlike the classroom experience, they can be precisely tailored to the individual student. They include game-like elements like goals, achievements, and virtual rewards to encourage lesson completion. At the end of fifth grade my daughter's reading level was equal to an 11th grader. She was doing algebraic equations in sixth grade, something I didn't learn until 8th. Most of this is homework, so it's a complement for the classroom, not a replacement. That being said, having the ability to complete these during study hall means time after school for creative or athletic pursuits. And she does a lot of research for various projects at school online.

What you say about restricting computer access is true for younger students, but once they reach 4th or 5th grade they really need to be online. Their futures depend on it for most of the better jobs out there these days.

Good for her, but I and many of my peers did the same, with no computers involved... Not saying it's necessarily bad, but it's not some kind of magical boon, either. All it is is trying to replace teachers with technology, because big corporations stand to profit from money being invested there instead of in salaries for honest, hard-working human beings.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 9, 2014, 20:18 jacobvandy

Yeah, cherry-pick one of the three definitions listed there, lol... And it's not even the first: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport

Everything in there includes something about diversion, recreation, fun. Sportsmanship has nothing to do with physicality. The activity itself does not make the sport, it's the social interaction surrounding it.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 9, 2014, 17:46 jacobvandy

Jokes about athleticism (or a lack thereof) are all well and good, but the core meaning of "sport" has more to do with competition than physical activity... And with the growing popularity of competitive gaming, it'll only be a matter of time before it eclipses most old-fashioned sports (i.e. everything but the big three in America, and who knows how long those will remain dominant with hardly anybody exercising for fun anymore).  

News Comments > Humble 2K Bundle
18. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 9, 2014, 03:13 jacobvandy

Many of them are, but not all... Do your research. Every legit charity has to file detailed tax reports, which are public record. Don't give to any charity that is paying salaries to people, for starters.  

News Comments > Humble 2K Bundle
4. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 8, 2014, 20:50 jacobvandy

Just put in $6 to beat the average and see what they add later... I'm guessing Civ V.  

News Comments > Firefall This Month
14. Re: Firefall This Month Jul 8, 2014, 13:08 jacobvandy

garrywong wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 12:26:
What? Didn't this close down at least twice? And last I heard they removed the PvP part of the game, which is literally the only "content" the game had. How did they sprout MMO-amount of PvE content in the last 6 months?

They've had the open world for at least two years, and pretty steadily added new stuff to do, in between overhauling core systems every 4-6 months... However I'm most excited about this reversing direction on the previous decision to make further PVE areas instanced, rather than added on to the freely-explorable map (which is what "quadrupled playable area" sounds like to me). They have been working on a boatload of additional PVE content for the past several years, but when the schizophrenic CEO tells you to scrap it and go work on whatever cool, new feature he just thought of... Actual implemented gameplay stagnated for a while there. This "final release" represents the faith and goodwill of new ownership/leadership, giving what remains of the team a chance to just churn out and polish whatever content they had ideas for and/or already worked on to some degree, which is why there's going to be an avalanche of new stuff. In addition to reworking/reverting a lot of the more unpopular changes with progression and other gameplay mechanics.

So I agree with what's already been said -- it's either going to be super amazing or a giant clusterfuck -- but it's their last hurrah, so they really have no choice but to be bold. Obviously, having contributed nearly $200 to the game already, I hope it works out... But I've had enough fun with it along the way that it would just be more disappointing to see it not live up to its potential than anything else, if it finally fizzles out.

OH, and finally... They're on Steam. So pretty much confirms it was that stubborn dickwad keeping them off of there thus far... Such a shame.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2014, 13:16.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2014, 17:31 jacobvandy

The prices at McDonald's are pretty ridiculous these days... their burgers are probably between 1/2 and 2/3 the size they were when I was a kid, but they now cost twice as much. I'm sure some of that could be attributed to the shitty economy, but other places have bigger (and better) burgers for cheaper, so...  

News Comments > Evolve Alpha Signups
8. Re: Evolve Alpha Signups Jul 4, 2014, 21:29 jacobvandy

You're going to have rage-quitters, it's unavoidable in any team-centric game. Especially ones with fewer team members, making one person count for much more than in a 32v32 Battlefield match, for example.  

News Comments > Rust Rewrite
2. Re: Rust Rewrite Jul 3, 2014, 00:11 jacobvandy

It's really not... They're making the same game, but the code-base will be far better suited for it. Rust as it has existed previously was created on a lark, built on top of what they previously hobbled together as a prototype for a completely different game, so they had all this un-used junk code they were wrestling with in trying to improve what they're actually using it for now. I've never played this and am really not interested in ever doing so, but I've read a deeper explanation in a different article and see nothing wrong with what they're doing. The worst you could say is it's created some delay in progressive development, but if that allows them to work faster moving forward and makes the game itself run more efficiently, that's not a bad thing, either.  

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jul 1, 2014, 23:39 jacobvandy

There are sales on Steam every day of every week of every month of every... yadda yadda yadda, just 'cause "the sale" is over doesn't mean the deals stop.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2014, 20:22 jacobvandy

Yeah, it's gotta be some weird thing where Bethesda would prefer to be able to say they've sold more copies of the base game, because they're effectively choosing to give it away for free in the bundle rather than appropriately discount the DLCs separately... They do the same thing with Dishonored.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $47M
7. Re: Star Citizen Passes $47M Jun 23, 2014, 23:40 jacobvandy

I get why they feel they need to honor the results of that poll, but it's interesting that the audience was split virtually down the middle... Might as well have flipped a coin, and to me that's not a compelling reason for doing anything that pertains to future development.  

2299 Comments. 115 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo