Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2956 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Free Content Pack
1. Re: Killing Floor 2 Free Content Pack Sep 1, 2015, 19:35 jacobvandy

So gore, much gratuitous.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam
64. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 19:24 jacobvandy

You can buy the keys wherever you want, just don't be surprised if it turns out you get it revoked. Simple as that.

There's a difference between "saving a few bucks" like buying something from Amazon compared to Best Buy and buying it at a ridiculously low price from the digital equivalent of some dude's van in a dark alley. That's called "too good to be true," and you might have the cops knocking on your door a few days later asking questions about it.

You are not a consumer, with the rights that that relationship with the producer entails, when you're not buying the product from sanctioned sources.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2015, 19:32.

41. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 16:02 jacobvandy

El Pit wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 15:21:
jacobvandy wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 15:06:
Right? There's no way a controller-based game should ever be a top seller on PC... Oh, wait.

Get over your irrational bias, you're missing out on a lot of fun games.

Yeah, exactly. Because nobody has ever succeeded in translating the console controls to kb/m, right? So let's just plug in the console controllers because a good conversion to pc is no longer needed or wanted.

By the way: Bat's bias (and mine, too) is a little physical disability to use the console controllers efficiently. In Bat's case it's just temporary, I hope.

If you think it's so easy to accurately translate driving with analog steering and throttle controls into digital keys and clicks, why aren't you a developer? I'm sure your breakthrough techniques would be in high demand throughout the industry.

BTW, don't take comments on the internet that aren't even directed at you so personally. Obviously choosing your controls based on physical limitations is not the same as insisting that gamepads absolutely should not be ever used for PC games.

35. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 15:06 jacobvandy

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:47:
Retired wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 11:33:
*sigh 2 solid hours of gameplay.

I am using M/KB as I am not able to currently hold a controller, so that might be some of my frustration with controls and movement.

Game ran solid, no glitches, bugs, crashes, etc.

That one line is enough to make it a no buy. M/KB should always be the main and equal to or better than adding console controller.(as well as the console save system).

Right? There's no way a controller-based game should ever be a top seller on PC... Oh, wait.

Get over your irrational bias, you're missing out on a lot of fun games.

17. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 12:40 jacobvandy

I played for 5+ hours last night, roaming this wasteland is pretty freakin' cool!

Retired wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 11:33:
Feels like I am playing Mad Lara Croft Max.....ages 10+.

Anyway. 6/10 so far.

Game ran solid, no glitches, bugs, crashes, etc.

Let's see how it goes when you get out of the tutorial area, lmao... Have you looked at the map? You haven't scratched the surface, but you're bashing the game for one-time scripted sequences and upgrades being locked away. Also, sorry, but this is a gamepad game, I recommend you do not use M/KB. The shooting is very infrequent.

Kxmode wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 12:35:
2. The Ripper preorder. For some reason I was under the impression that this body would be available early in the game like at the Graveyard where you pick a car body. I haven't seen it yet and there appears to be no clue as to how to get this body. Really bummed that my preorder bonus isn't available.

I don't think it's a body type. I progressed to a point where it tells you about different car configurations called 'Archangels,' basically where you select a blueprint and it guides you through putting together a loadout for a specific type of driving or combat. The car upgrades really aren't linear, you're not just going to fully upgrade the engine, and the armor, and etc., because higher speed lowers your maneuverability and more armor makes you slower. There are trade-offs, so you might want a lighter, faster car sometimes, or a slower, sturdier one other times. The Ripper is probably a specific configuration, which according to store page descriptions includes a V8 engine, and that is a late-game upgrade.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2015, 12:50.

News Comments > MGS5: The Phantom Pain Disc Requires Game Download?
7. Re: MGS5: The Phantom Pain Disc Requires Game Download? Aug 31, 2015, 21:05 jacobvandy

More power to them if they want a physical presence for the game in stores, but it's so bizarre to me that they'd waste discs like that. Although, it could be a CD for all we know, not a blu-ray; looks like people are making assumptions from the fact that the screenshot shows that the disc is in a BD-ROM drive. Just print the Steam key on a paper insert if you're not going to put a soundtrack or any other sorts of extras on the game-less disc.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in February
10. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in February Aug 31, 2015, 12:13 jacobvandy

Squenix has been doing the tiered pre-order incentives for all of their games on Steam since Tomb Raider, and maybe even before that. Releasing 4 days early is interesting, at least, since that'd put it at Friday instead of Tuesday.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in February
8. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in February Aug 31, 2015, 11:39 jacobvandy

Task wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 11:26:
Sigh. Yet again Square-Enix decided to make the PC release download only while console editions get a physical copy to collect.

For reals, why can't they be like Konami and do the right thing: sell a DVD with nothing but the Steam installer on it.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 30, 2015, 17:36 jacobvandy

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 16:47:
Stories like this just make me so tired. I realize people have been saying the end of the world is coming for hundreds if not thousands of years -- but reading stories make me wonder if we can survive the next few decades. Assuming we survive until then, I'd love to take a history class on the first half of this century a couple of hundred years from now.

Ever seen the movie Idiocracy? That is starting to happen RIGHT NOW, not 500 years in the future as they predicted.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming
11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming Aug 30, 2015, 17:33 jacobvandy

If you have ever raced to 80, gotten frustrated by a "lack of endgame," and quit playing forever, you're missing out on a lot of what GW2 has to offer. It's slowed down recently with this final stretch of preparing for the expansion release, but when the Living Story is rolling, you have new stuff to do every 2-4 weeks, plus the ever-growing stores of seasonal/holiday content that become active in their respective calendar months.

They've had two meaty seasons of added story content so far that would have been released as $30 expansions by ActiBlizzard, plus a bunch of other more self-contained events like the election, Queen's Jubilee, rebuilding Lion's Arch, and the addition of Southsun Cove (new level 80 zone). The second Living Story season most recently added two more zones and built the story up into what's going to happen in Heart of Thorns.

Of course, it's very convenient to forget about or flat-out ignore all the significant FREE updates that go into this subscription-less MMO when you're feeling like you want to bitch about them asking you to buy a larger, more traditional expansion pack. I'm hoping the fact they're charging for it means it will be even bigger and better than the Living Story stuff they've done thus far, but even if it's not, I've gotten such an incredible amount of value from that initial $50 purchase that I really don't mind overpaying a bit on an expansion so that they can keep supporting this game the way they have been the past three years.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October
19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October Aug 30, 2015, 02:25 jacobvandy

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 01:26:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 29, 2015, 21:42:

So you bought the expansion.... But don't want it?

I didn't think it made any sense to buy the core game only, when they were offering it for free if I bought the expansion. I didn't want to have to turn around and buy the expansion a month after I just bought the core game if I liked it enough to keep playing.

But then they make the core game free to play a day later, defeating the point. If I end up not liking the game, I just threw $50 away. I'll send support a message asking for a refund, see what they say, and stick to the core game for now. If they refuse, I'll reverse the payment, telling my card carrier that they started giving it away for free a day later.

If you buy an item in a store, then it goes on sale the next day, you can return it and get the sale price. They should have offered something similar here, but didn't.

I will grant you that they could have handled this whole thing better than they did, but you misunderstand the intent of the base game being free. It's not GW2 Core + Heart of Thorns as a bundle for $50. The expansion is an upgrade that is replacing the old product that was GW2 Core. For the past couple months, the base GW2 game was virtually discontinued, and the only way for new players to come in was to pre-purchase Heart of Thorns, which includes the core content. They probably got the idea to let people play the base game for free from feedback offered by people in a situation similar to yours.

However, this is no different than the kind of risk you take by paying full price for any game you're just wanting to try out. You pre-order a game, and there's a chance you won't like it, meaning you threw your money away. If you can't afford or can't stand to take that risk, then don't do it. This is nothing like an item going on sale; you paid $50 for Heart of Thorns, and Heart of Thorns remains that price today and will do so for a long while. If you didn't want Heart of Thorns, you shouldn't have bought freakin' Heart of Thorns, lol.

Anyway, good luck getting your refund if that's what you really want. I'd say there's a good chance you'll get it, since the expansion, the thing you paid for, hasn't come out yet. They will no doubt revert your account to 'Free' status, though, if they are able to let you keep it. Just put more thought into how you spend your money next time.

14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October Aug 29, 2015, 21:42 jacobvandy

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 29, 2015, 21:08:
Bah!!!

This pisses me off. I paid $50 to preorder so I can start playing the base game, and then 24 hours later I read that it is going FTP. I am half tempted to call my CC and reverse the transaction.

So you bought the expansion.... But don't want it? I don't understand why you would buy something you don't want, and then get upset that you bought something you don't want. There are still places to buy the base game pretty cheaply (GMG has it for $16 at this very moment), and buying it means you won't have the restrictions a free account does.

Or do you not understand that it's only the core game that is free, and that it will still cost $50 to get the expansion content? It clearly states on the store page that you are paying $50 for the expansion, and the core game is included for free.

All they're doing today is removing the requirement of buying the expansion in order to get the core game free.

10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October Aug 29, 2015, 17:40 jacobvandy

You just described every MMO in existence... Eventually you run out of unique content. If you're not interested in hopping on one of the many treadmills available after that (WvW, PvP, dungeons, fractals, legendaries, collections, etc.), then you beat the game, and it's fair if you want to move on. I just don't think it's a valid criticism against GW2 in particular, or any other one game. It's the nature of the genre. Come back when the expansion hits, no big deal.

However, I do have to call bullshit on your hyperbole. There are some things they add, have been adding here and there for years, that take no small amount of time and effort to acquire. Luminescent armor is one of the most recent examples, or ascended back pieces (Spinal Blades, Mawdrey).

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2015, 17:48.

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October Aug 29, 2015, 16:40 jacobvandy

Already is free, yeah. They say they're giving the finger to WoW and other MMOs that force you to buy the base game along with expansions when you're a new player coming in late: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/play-for-free-today/

I wouldn't call it F2P, though, because there is none of the associated bullshit. The in-game shop and currency exchange are exactly as they have been for the past three years.

4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October Aug 29, 2015, 15:02 jacobvandy

ALSO, holy shit, they just announced today that the base game (what they call Core GW2, the game as it exists now) is FREE for everyone!

There are some restrictions on free accounts vs. those that have previously bought the base game, but they're mostly to stop trolls or gold sellers from exploiting them. There have been no changes to the microtransactions and no pay walls have been set up to block off any content, it's all FREE. They're just hoping you get hooked and upgrade your account with Heart of Thorns. That is pretty awesome.

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October Aug 29, 2015, 14:26 jacobvandy

Ditto! Though I wish I had more than three weeks to play before Fallout 4 crashes through the wall like Kool-Aid and dominates my life.  

News Comments > Borderlands Movie Plans
4. Re: Borderlands Movie Plans Aug 28, 2015, 18:52 jacobvandy

I could see them doing live action with a lot of CGI to layer the signature art style on top of everything. Then it'd be pretty easy to pull off some of the more bizarre characters and settings. I wonder if they'll have voice talent from the games involved? There's no way they'll change Claptrap, right?  

News Comments > Evening Previews
3. Re: Evening Previews Aug 27, 2015, 21:47 jacobvandy

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 20:00:
So they replaced the snow textures from the Hoth map with sand textures and called it a "new and exciting" (of course!) map.

/slowclap

This piece of shit will win so many most disappointing game of the year awards it won't even be funny.

Weird, I must have missed the smoldering frigates and fighters littering the battlefield in the Hoth videos... Oh, and the GIANT FUCKING STAR DESTROYER towering over everything.

News Comments > Rocket League OS X and SteamOS Plans
5. Re: Rocket League OS X and SteamOS Plans Aug 27, 2015, 21:40 jacobvandy

They also announced they've sold 1 million copies on Steam so far. Way more impressive than the previous 5 million downloads total.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2015, 18:18 jacobvandy

The live TV broadcast is nothing, you can still find the video the shooter tweeted out, explicitly showing it all, even though they disabled his account shortly thereafter... Some messed up shit.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2015, 18:23.

2956 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo