Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2471 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 13:53 jacobvandy

Here's a thought:

Who gives a flying fuck? What is wrong with you people?!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband
16. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 26, 2015, 19:23 jacobvandy

Rattlehead wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 18:42:
The last people I want behind the internet is the god damn FFC and government. Now we can expect taxes, regulations, censorship and everything else horrible associated with the government.

Call me cynical, but I don't see anything good from this.

No kidding. How fucking ironic is it for the FCC to defend themselves on this, making the comparison to the First Amendment? Lmao.

Also, a hint for those of you scoring at home: Being "overjoyed" at this news, like it's some kind of major victory for the common man, is exactly what they want you to be. They want you to feel contented, confident that things are being handled the way you think they should be, so that you stop paying attention to it and they can carry on fucking you over behind the scenes. Smoke and mirrors.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2015, 19:28.

News Comments > New Guild Wars 2 Cameras to Include First-Person
18. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Cameras to Include First-Person Feb 26, 2015, 16:21 jacobvandy

To be fair, Orr is explicitly designed and portrayed as a WAR ZONE, the front lines where the Pact is constantly butting heads with the Risen hordes. You should know what you're getting into when you go there. I like that some areas are (were? I haven't been there much lately) not just passive monster zoos where you can go hang around and safely AFK until you're ready to go fight something by yourself. Camps being contested, waypoints being disabled, vendors retreating to safety, are all cool, dynamic things that make a game feel more alive. There are few enough places like that as it is, where you may not be able to Rambo through stuff on your own... If you don't like it, fine, just stay away.

I was only periodically logging in to unlock the living story episodes during season two, but recently I discovered the Silverwastes and how fucking awesome it is. If you don't like Orr, you definitely won't like it, but it's kind of like World vs World but with AI opponents. You're retaking forts and constantly defending them, defending supply caravans, and it culminates in a huge raid boss fight that splits the map population into three groups that have to work together to succeed. That's the kind of stuff MMOs need more of, not maps full of mobs just standing around until someone comes along to kill them.

News Comments > Morning Patches
3. Re: Morning Patches Feb 26, 2015, 16:06 jacobvandy

Lol, it still estimates my wait will be 3+ hours, I've been in queue since my last post. Oh, well!  

News Comments > Morning Patches
1. Re: Morning Patches Feb 26, 2015, 14:10 jacobvandy

Some really cool changes on the D3 PTR right now... Too bad the queue to get in is 2-3 hours.  

News Comments > $386K Dying Light My Apocalypse Edition
11. Re: $386K Dying Light My Apocalypse Edition Feb 25, 2015, 02:41 jacobvandy

You ought to get Survivor XP for picking locks... I wonder if there's a mod for that yet.  

News Comments > GTA5 PC Delay
4. Re: GTA5 PC Delay Feb 24, 2015, 11:44 jacobvandy

Well, everyone who's complained about GTA IV being a bad port has apparently gotten what they wanted. Rockstar seems almost gun-shy.  

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit
39. Re: NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit Feb 23, 2015, 14:10 jacobvandy

When this first broke, I was running Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, AND Far Cry 4 all at once in windowed fullscreen, swapping between them and watching the VRAM usage. It wasn't until I also launched Dragon Age: Inquisition that it finally went past 3.5 gigs to max out at 4. We now know it was reluctant to do so because of that driver trick, but still. It wasn't as if my computer suddenly exploded in a shower of glitches and artifacts, it was just chugging along (10-20 fps in the newer, more demanding games) because I was running four fucking games simultaneously. Even forcing DA:I to render at 4k resolution on the highest settings didn't push past 3.5 gigs on its own.  

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit
32. Re: NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit Feb 23, 2015, 13:20 jacobvandy

Yeah, Newegg isn't doing the partial refund anymore. I hear you're lucky to get a $20 gift card now. However, I would think that accepting any such recompense would disqualify you from a later class action suit award. For all you know, we might win a free upgrade to a 980! :p  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 22, 2015, 17:46 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 16:49:
Quinn wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 16:47:
Looks to me like another glorified cardgame. I don't get this movement. Either play an actual PC game or get around an actual physical table with some friends xP

Ok with first part, but you ended with that tired angle of "why not just do the real thing?". Well playing cards with another on a PC is still the same thing, it's still the same game and the same rules. No reason to feel one is better than the other. Whatever the peoples like.

Except the idea behind Hand of Fate is that you're creating a third-person action gameplay scenario with the cards you choose or are dealt (not sure how it works, exactly). Good luck pulling that off on an actual physical table!

News Comments > Diablo III Microtransactions Coming to Asia
11. Re: Diablo III Microtransactions Coming to Asia Feb 21, 2015, 00:07 jacobvandy

Speak for yourself! RNG is RNG. I've been having really shitty luck with my HC 'sader... I'm tough as a motherfucker but my damage is awful. I'm PL50 and only two bad weapons have dropped.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 19, 2015, 22:33 jacobvandy

panbient wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 19:15:
I'll fess up. A new Rock Band game would make me get PS4.

I can definitely understand wanting to step away from plastic 'toy' instruments. But at the same time I really hope it doesn't just turn into a karaoke game as well. RB Blitz wasn't horrible but it's not at all the same experience. Maybe make the instruments optional? No instrument play, no sale for me.

Pro-mode was a great concept but ultimately botched. Their fancy Fender midi guitar was nearly impossible to find. Then there was the issue with Pro-guitar/bass DLC not only being sold as a premium to the regular chart but also required by all players if you wanted to use that mode online. Which meant the vast majority of online Pro playing was limited to the on-disc RB3 content. Keyboard seemed pretty cool too though I never actually tried it.

It also seems to me Rocksmith has proven the viability of playing real guitar through your console since then, and I can't see why Harmonix / Rock Band would step away from that. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

I'd be hard-pressed to keep away from it, too. Rock Band 3 was the main reason I got a PS3, after getting hooked on GH:WT/5 and RB2 for Wii.

I just recently picked up a band kit off eBay for another 5-button guitar (the GH5 version, I like the strum bar on the WoR one but the body is god-awful and uncomfortable) and a set of drums, which I'd never had. It was about $170 before shipping... And that was a deal compared to other stuff I saw, including guitars by themselves for $100+. That got me considering selling my Squier, as I haven't touched it since before Rocksmith came out. I got mine pre-ordered online from Best Buy, but I'm thinking I might be able to get back at least as much as I paid for it (I believe $250 MSRP) even with it being moderately used. I also have the 102-button Mustang plastic pro guitar, lol, because it came out around the same time the game did, whereas the Squier was 6+ months later.

News Comments > Diablo III Version 2.2.0 Preview
4. Re: Diablo III Version 2.2.0 Preview Feb 19, 2015, 22:16 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 20:34:
From the little info they do have, they seem to be doubling down on sets and set bonuses for some reason.

That's just going to make even more regular legendaries pointless...they should really be trying to buff non-set legendaries so people can actually achieve similar power levels with good combos, WITHOUT sets.

Blizzard's WoW mentality is apparently contagious.

They're adding and tweaking non-set legendary powers all the time. I think the problem with that (why it's so slow going) is that you do have to take the time and test it and how it interacts with everything else, whereas with sets you can narrow down those test cases because you're ensuring each of those powers is only coming into play when you have multiple specific pieces.

Taking the Marauder DH for example, you only have a handful of variations for that build because to use its full potential requires 5 of the main slots being filled by the set. You don't have to worry about Magefist + Cindercoat being OP in that situation, because it's not possible for your turrets to fire your spenders with only 4 pieces of the set. Wizards can integrate that non-set combo into the Firebird build, but only at the cost of not being able to use a two-handed weapon. And so on.

There are a variety of lore and gameplay reasons as to why they would want sets to be flat-out better than a variety of regular legendaries, though. Easier to balance is just one of them.

News Comments > Diablo III Version 2.2.0 Preview
1. Re: Diablo III Version 2.2.0 Preview Feb 19, 2015, 19:28 jacobvandy

Not much info there... Might as well wait for it to land on the PTR and have people spill everything.  

News Comments > DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed
27. Re: DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed Feb 18, 2015, 21:55 jacobvandy

I don't doubt the results he's seeing are legit... The bullshit comes from such headlines as this one turning it into sweeping generalization. He's no doubt experimenting with techniques that would be far too costly to implement currently, it's just that DX12 and a supporting top-end GPU are able to handle them better.  

News Comments > The Crew DLC & Patch
7. Re: The Crew DLC & Patch Feb 16, 2015, 17:47 jacobvandy

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 16:58:
For example, midway through the game there is a mandatory 3-part mission. The first part is a timed run from point A to point B in your best performance spec car. Part 2 you have to collect a certain number of crates in a desert canyon with a piece of shit vehicle they chose for you. Part 3 you are in the same piece of shit chasing a faster car through Vegas and if you are outside his radius for more than a few seconds you lose. Any one of those takes as long as a typical mission and they aren't too bad by themselves. What truly screws the player is if you fail part 2 or 3 and quit you have to start over from part 1. Coop only makes this particular mission even more frustrating.

I just wanna mention, that I never ran into that issue. I restarted the second or third part of a multi-part story mission repeatedly without having to re-do the whole thing on more than one occasion. If you get tired of retrying and quit the mission completely, that's a different story, but you are NOT forced to repeat the entire sequence if you fail.

News Comments > The Crew DLC & Patch
2. Re: The Crew DLC & Patch Feb 16, 2015, 15:10 jacobvandy

The pursuits are a fucking awful chore, but otherwise I think it's pretty fun. It's a spiritual successor to Test Drive Unlimited, so if you like that emphasis on driving and exploration over competing in races, you'll like The Crew. They even have a bunch of TDU's signature long events, that will take you like 30-60+ minutes driving point A to point B across the huge map. Some of which require you do so cleanly, and taking enough damage will fail you. But if one race event after another is really what you want, GRID: Autosport would probably suit you better.

All of my experience is solo, by the way. There's zero point in trying to play with random people because they're so flaky. I've always had them quit mid-race or restart the damn thing over and over again because they're not winning... Thus nobody plays with quick-match active, so it's near impossible to find one anyway. And the social connectivity is terrible, I've never been able to join up and do events with friends because on the handful of occasions we've tried, it just flat-out does not work when we try to invite each other to a group.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 15, 2015, 15:48 jacobvandy

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 15, 2015, 15:23:
I'm just amazed that Total War: Attila is so far down the list, isn't that still considered a AAA franchise?

You'd be surprised... Though I'm not surprised at all that people aren't gobbling up what is basically to Rome 2 what Napoleon was to Empire. Barely a standalone expansion.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 2 Begins
12. Re: Diablo III Season 2 Begins Feb 15, 2015, 01:04 jacobvandy

Unfortunately they nerfed Helltrapper, by preventing it from enabling you to use more turrets than you'd otherwise be able to. I never got to try that out with my M6.

dizave wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 22:11:
The purpose of adventure mode is to get your ring of royal grandeur. After that, whats the point? There is no point when I have the set items for my class. Give me more reasons to play with new legendary items and content and I will play. I feel like your arguing for the sake of arguing. Why would you not want more things to do in a fun game?

What? You said you were sick of playing through the story, and I pointed out you don't have to anymore. Starting over each season, I've used nothing but bounties and rifts to level up new characters. That's the point of it, it's Diablo 3 on shuffle. Keeps it more interesting and it's more rewarding, too. But go ahead with your straw man and ignoring my other mention of what they revealed at Blizzcon...

News Comments > Diablo III Season 2 Begins
8. Re: Diablo III Season 2 Begins Feb 14, 2015, 21:46 jacobvandy

You haven't had to play the story since the expansion came out and they introduced Adventure mode. Thank jeebus.

Also, you must have missed the part of Blizzcon when they revealed all the stuff that was put out in 2.1.2 and will continue coming in 2.2 and beyond, including the new sets (another for Wizard they want to compete with Firebird, btw) and a whole new area attached to Act 3 on the map, the Barbarian city of Sescheron. Well, it's ruined now, since it was destroyed in Diablo 2, but still. AFAIK they're still planning on another full-size expansion, too.

2471 Comments. 124 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo