Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2356 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Nov 25, 2014, 19:05 jacobvandy

GMG really took the piss today... Got an email from them at 11:30am, saying "25% off all games!" Yadda yadda yadda, I know it doesn't apply to everything (because they're bigger now, they're not as awesome as they used to be), but it specifically names DA:I. So great, I figure I might as well jump on this to grab it for $45, right? WRONG. "The voucher could not be applied" when I'm trying to go through check-out. Look at their forums and see other people complaining that it doesn't work with DA:I. Some quoting customer service saying that was a limited-time offer, despite no mention of such nonsense in the email and the fact the voucher is supposed to be valid until Thanksgiving. I tried at about 2:00pm, 90 minutes after I got the email, but guys on their forums have been bitching since yesterday! =/  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Crew Reviews Delay
27. Re: The Crew Reviews Delay Nov 25, 2014, 18:17 jacobvandy

Just another reason to dislike "persistently connected" games that really don't need to be; it's a very convenient excuse to not allow pre-release coverage. Thousands of games with online components have been reviewed early over the years. INCLUDING MMORPGS! Ubisoft isn't doing themselves any favors with this.  

News Comments > Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes
15. Re: Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes Nov 25, 2014, 18:15 jacobvandy

I know that, but it's another example of policy changing to affect us all, in response to a minority abusing the system.  

News Comments > Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes
13. Re: Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes Nov 25, 2014, 17:42 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 13:34:
Dev wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 12:52:
Blue,
I don't believe this is anything to do with key resellers since key numbers are not steam tradable. The announcement also doesn't mention it. Here's text of announcement:

All new games purchased as a gift and placed in the purchaser's inventory will be untradable for 30 days. The gift may still be gifted at any time. The only change is to trading.

We've made this change to make trading gifts a better experience for those receiving the gifts. We're hoping this lowers the number of people who trade for a game only to have the game revoked later due to issues with the purchaser's payment method.

Not to mention that no key-reseller EVER sells gifts, they sell steam keys which are very much unlike steam gifts

Steam gifts are what you get from Humblebundle lately. You link account and games are "gifted"

No, Humble Bundle still gives you keys, they just use the Steam API to automatically redeem them for you. Slowly but surely, all digital retailers are finding ways to cut down on people gaming the system like they have been.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
10. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Nov 24, 2014, 15:34 jacobvandy

It is actually becoming very difficult to hold off getting DA:I until after I finish FC4... And that's coming from a guy who hasn't bought an EA game in over two years. Grant me strength! I already bumped Shadow of Mordor at about 75% complete.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2014, 09:02 jacobvandy

Maybe. I've been having a blast for like 30 hours, and I've still yet to progress to the second half of the map (it appears this time, they're not making it a surprise). It is exactly the type of emergent events mentioned in this thread that make it so fun for me. Sneaking up a radio tower and an eagle starts harassing me, so I have to shoot it, and this being pretty early in the game means I don't have silenced weapons and alert the guards below. Or racing back to town for an urgent story mission, I stumble into a skirmish between reds and blues with a goddamn rhinoceros running around attacking both sides, toppling vehicles and all that.

Sure, a pack of wild dogs screwing with you when you're scouting out a stronghold can be a pain, but it's INTERESTING. Use the tools you're given to deal with it, like tossing some meat over at your enemies so they go over there instead, or use the syringe that hides your scent or whatever so wildlife leaves you alone. The humor in this game is freaking out when you come across your first honey badger and shooting it with an RPG, nearly killing yourself and then seeing its ragdoll roll down the hill. I've also accidentally deployed the wingsuit at a low altitude where I was just trying to jump over a crevice, but then flying-squirreled myself into a cliff wall and died.

If you're judging the game on the first couple hours where you're supposed to be weaker and more at the mercy of the harsh environment, you're missing out on the badassery of running while sneaking, using a silenced .50 cal rifle to kill multiple enemies when they're lined up (or pierce the helmet of those heavy bastards), chaining takedowns in the same OP fashion you enjoyed in FC3, etc.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 23, 2014, 22:06 jacobvandy

Quboid wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 19:46:
I'm a little disappointed with FC4 so far. I knew it was going to be Far Cry 3.1 and I'm OK with sequels being iterative improvements but I think FC4 is worse in a few ways. Every character is a tiresome Vaas-wannabe who drags out their unskippable cutscenes and the mountainous landscape isn't as much fun to navigate. It's fun, but it's probably not as good as Far Cry 3.

Exactly how many of these "Vaas-wannabe" characters have you come across?

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Goes "Gamma"
2. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 23, 2014, 11:25 jacobvandy

Lmao, if you say so.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 22, 2014, 17:35 jacobvandy

walrus1 wrote on Nov 22, 2014, 15:59:
The reason "pace of cord-cutting remains a drip, drip, drip" is the extreme lack of reasonably priced and far reaching streaming services. I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime. Yet their libraries are just so lacking.

I'm sure they find themselves now in a "chicken or the egg" problem... They can't get more and better content without making more money, and they can't make more money without having more and better content. Netflix is definitely going to have to raise their sub price. Amazon will probably spin-off the streaming video service into its own entity with its own subscription fee. And this is all completely ignoring the guaranteed digging of the heels by major content providers, as enormous cable companies are giving them the stink eye. Something's gotta give.

News Comments > On Assassin's Creed Unity Microtransactions
4. Re: On Assassin's Creed Unity Microtransactions Nov 21, 2014, 18:15 jacobvandy

You know you really fucked up, when a guy who makes his living designing microtransactions tells you how bad yours are. It's not blind hatred fueling him, this stuff is legitimately piss-poorly implemented.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Crash Workaround
13. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Crash Workaround Nov 21, 2014, 14:58 jacobvandy

So the DA:I camera stays pointed forward no matter which direction your character is facing/moving, with your mouse cursor free to click on things in the world or UI at the same time? Which means you have to hold a mouse button to turn the camera or (usually) hold the other to keep the camera centered behind you while you turn your character? That actually is a fairly common control scheme... I've done it for a couple thousand hours in GW2 alone, but it doesn't bother me at all. Though that's primarily because you rarely hold either mouse button down persistently for prolonged periods of time. In fact, I don't know why you would need to do so. Blank  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective
42. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 19, 2014, 08:44 jacobvandy

Quinn wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 06:17:
jomisab wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 21:36:
LOL at all the pirating losers out there...

Thanks to pirating I didn't waste 45 dollars of HARD-SWEATY-HOURS-OF-GODDAMN-WORK earned money. It's not as black and white as most of you moralknights out here think it is, matter of fact. This game is getting 4,5s out of 5s; 9s out of 10s! The media is painting the picture that FC4 is the best fucking thing that has happened in a long time! If I didn't pirate this game for DEMO PUPROSES ONLY I wouldn't have known that FC4 is the exact same thing as FC3 with a few extra shit like elephants and flying scooters. And oh boy, I mean the exact same thing. It's a glorified expansion, yet you pay the full price for it.

I can't wait to see what the media gives The Witcher 3 when it comes out and it will be remotely as awesome as it seems to become. An 8 out of 5? A 23 out of a 10?

Yes. I pirated FC4, tried it for an hour, yawned and deleted it from my computer. No harm done to myself, which I find more important than the few dollars Ubisoft misses out on because I didn't buy the game under the false pretense that it would actually feel like a standalone game.

I played GTA V and felt the exact same way, man! It should have been a $20 DLC for GTA IV!!!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4
19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4 Nov 18, 2014, 14:39 jacobvandy

Verno wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 09:40:
Still hadn't unlocked on Uplay by the time I left for work but I will check it out later for sure. Got it for free for my videocard, between The Crew and AC: Unity it was an easy choice.

I was disappointed to hear the grappling hook is only for preset spots in the world though, big missed opportunity there.

I was getting frustrated last night, but turns out you have to check your email for a code to redeem that will unlock the game for you. I had mine 3 minutes after midnight EST. Makes no sense, because it was a pre-order from them (video card freebie, but they process that as a 100%-off coupon in their store), and it was in my account and able to be pre-loaded, in which case Steam would just unlock it automatically... Oh, well.

The game itself is fucking awesome.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer
37. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 08:55 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 01:40:
- Having to hold either R or left mouse continuously to keep attacking. What.the.fuck...? Seriously, Bioware dev who thought this was a great idea (it was you, wasn't it, Laidlaw?) please sit down at a table and write down the reasons why you thought this was a great idea. I'm sure "It works fine on a controller!" will be your #1 reason. But write down all of them. I'll wait.

Done? Okay. Now cross through EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, and write "I am a complete idiot, and should never be allowed to design games ever again" on that same sheet.

Holy fuck what an incredibly irritating mechanism...

That's standard action RPG design. But from the rest of your post, it sounds like we all just might as well use a gamepad anyway!

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
9. Re: Saturday Consolidation Nov 15, 2014, 22:53 jacobvandy

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 20:54:
Got a message from Sony yesterday. Black friday deal, 500 Gig PS4, GTA5, Last of Us $399.

I noticed something with those screen shots. No traffic and no crowds... Not impressed.

GTA IV had a traffic density slider, so I don't think it's a stretch to expect that to be tweakable (even if only by mods) in V.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds
7. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds Nov 15, 2014, 13:20 jacobvandy

You know any issue with Helix Credits was their #1 priority...  

News Comments > Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change "Any Time Soon"; DX10 Support Unlikely
21. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 13:17 jacobvandy

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 12:56:
Kind of stupid as there are few difference between dx10 and dx11. I really doubt they used much that was not in dx10. Sounds like another really challenged programmer.

The only people that use the word "haters" come from the backwoods. Perhaps you should expand your vocabulary and look up the word "critics".

Just like DX10 didn't have much different about it than DX9, feature-wise. The advantages of the last few newer versions are largely related to efficiency. Technically DX10 could probably do whatever they're wanting to do, but it wouldn't be feasible if the performance suffers too much because of it.

Acleacius wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 13:08:
Ridiculously stupid decision, much of the world is still experiencing recession.

8GB of RAM can be had for under $70. Or a 4GB upgrade is under $40. You probably shouldn't be PC gaming as a hobby if you can't swing that. =/

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 11:14 jacobvandy

I'm surprised anyone as big as Taylor Swift is even on there... I figured they'd be staying out of it for the same reason The Simpsons and Seinfeld aren't on Netflix.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
13. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 14, 2014, 08:11 jacobvandy

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 23:52:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 23:37:
TriForce releasing replica Halo plasma rifles at $600 a pop.

So, does it shoot actual plasma? For that price it had better.

Yeah, for that price you can buy any number of real guns. You know, that work. Instead of a piece of plastic with LEDs. That weighs about 3 times what a real, working weapon weighs. (? Why?)

The future is heavy.

News Comments > Ubisoft on AMD & Assassin's Creed Unity
21. Re: Ubisoft on AMD & Assassin's Creed Unity Nov 13, 2014, 08:21 jacobvandy

From what I've heard, it won't run well on any GPU if you don't have the processor to back it up. And even then, you're not gonna get the 100 fps you were hoping for, unless maybe you're a world record holder for CPU overclock.  

2356 Comments. 118 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo