Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2370 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam
26. Re: Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam Dec 20, 2014, 12:09 jacobvandy

When you have to disable game-modes less than a month after launch because they were splitting the playerbase to the point where wait times for matches were unbearable... You've got major issues. They carried that match-making shit over from MW2+ Call of Duty because they "pioneered" it, but they forgot to consider that it only worked (mostly) there because of the sheer volume of people playing... You can't make assumptions like that for a brand new IP.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Video Diary
2. Re: Killing Floor 2 Video Diary Dec 19, 2014, 17:11 jacobvandy

Agreed! Anxiously awaiting this by now. Hopefully Part 2 actually talks about perks; I've heard they're addressing overt grindy-ness, but I'm wondering how it's going to work, exactly.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Beta Drivers
2. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Dec 18, 2014, 15:00 jacobvandy

Was hoping this would cut down on driver crashes with The Crew... No such luck.  

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
5. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 18, 2014, 14:07 jacobvandy

Still waiting to be able to load a damn store page...  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week
19. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week Dec 18, 2014, 03:55 jacobvandy

Lorcin wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 00:17:
Rockstar had my money. Can I put my ps3 bluray into my pc and it validates the fact I already bought this game?

No? Waiting for sale

They know you played the game because of RSSC. They're just not in the business of giving you multiple copies of the same game for the price of one.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 12, 2014, 21:12 jacobvandy

Yosemite Sam wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 20:21:
One unexpected surprise for me with the PS4\GTA was the speaker in the controller. The extra dimension added with that speaker is bloody marvelous and R* did a great job utilizing it. Anyone who's playing GTA on the X1 is missing out.

Another Nintendo innovation copied the next generation.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Auction Resumes
6. Re: Steam Holiday Auction Resumes Dec 12, 2014, 21:07 jacobvandy

The value of a booster pack has always been the chance for foil(s).  

News Comments > Borderlands: Remastered Edition Rating Spied
4. Re: Borderlands: Remastered Edition Rating Spied Dec 12, 2014, 15:17 jacobvandy

I wouldn't mind playing the original again with BL2-level features and graphics at all. I never did get around to playing all its DLC.  

News Comments > Steam Holiday Auction Underway; Holiday Sale Next Week
5. Re: Steam Holiday Auction  Underway; Holiday Sale Next Week Dec 11, 2014, 22:16 jacobvandy

Yeah... I'm interested in the concept in general, but the way it's worked out is that the top 1% of rich dudes or professional market traders have cornered the auctions with the ridiculous stockpile of gems they've acquired as a byproduct of their normal activities. The gem "value" of each item is so arbitrary, but just taking an example of a card that is selling for 10 cents on the market being worth 20 gems, the top bids for many of the games so far are in excess of $500. And that's regardless of the game's regular price -- $15 games and $60 games alike are in the 100,000-150,000 gems range.

Don't even try to comprehend the limited-duration special holiday profile motif, which gives you a unique snowy profile theme and makes your username and avatar border golden in color, going for 575,000 gems. That's thousands of dollars of virtual knick-knacks for bragging rights that expire mid-January.

EDIT: Nevermind... I see now that you can also buy/sell gems on the market, and they're currently going for 3 cents per 1,000. So it's a giant inventory liquidation event, a way for them to make money off of the ability to delete useless items. Lol.

News Comments > The Crew Stats Issue
17. Re: The Crew Stats Issue Dec 11, 2014, 16:10 jacobvandy

Oh, a tip on the perks... Max out the one that gives up to a 20% chance for an additional perk point on level-up ASAP. They sell extra perk points for real money, so, I figure if you can get some more for free, that's worth prioritizing.  

News Comments > The Crew Stats Issue
13. Re: The Crew Stats Issue Dec 11, 2014, 14:20 jacobvandy

I'm enjoying it a lot, though more the exploration/driving than the actual racing. I LOVED Test Drive Unlimited, so the same guys being the main team behind this game sold it for me. And I'm not disappointed. There are actually quite a few cars (need to explore all the regions to access more dealers), and most of them have multiple load-out kits for different types of racing that make even the same base vehicle look and feel very different. Skill test events are all over the place and can often be completed on the way to wherever you were driving, mostly seamlessly (I say mostly because it sometimes will stop you and do a quick loading screen for seemingly no reason upon completion). All events reward you with parts of varying levels and quality, so it actually has significant RPG-like progression.

I'm guessing that that is why people complain about the car handling... Your car has stats that start out shitty and can be increased on a scale from 1-10,000, including speed, acceleration, grip, and braking. Your car is assigned a "level" from 1-1,000 based on those stats, so the same Nissan 370Z you start the game with can advance through the entire range, becoming a very different car by the end.

My only real gripes have to do with getting disconnected from the server, either randomly or for pausing and going afk for 20 minutes or so. And when I tried to play with some buddies the other night, the crew invites were not working at all, so we couldn't group up. Well, I'd also agree the AI is pretty bad. The pursuits are annoying until you repeat them over and over and learn their route and where you can bash into them most easily and effectively. And instances where you're being chased by the cops or other enemies are an exercise in trying to weave the most convoluted path through city streets or forests, because no matter how fast your car is, you will never simply outrun them when they have magical infini-fast properties.

BTW, you're doinitwrong if you spent 20 hours in the same car... I've played about the same amount of time and I have five (370Z, Skyline, Hot Rod, Aston Martin, and a BMW). Make sure you're actually activating the landmark locations, you get $2,000 per and there are hundreds of them all over the map. Loads o' money!

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Evening Patches Dec 9, 2014, 21:27 jacobvandy

Well I got sucked into The Crew, so I'm not in a hurry to continue my adventure and turn into a crypt keeper. Appalling, nonetheless.  

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Demo
3. Re: Defense Grid 2 Demo Nov 30, 2014, 17:21 jacobvandy

The graphics are actually a bit too detailed for their own good... Many people have had performance issues because of the sheer volume of intricately-animated towers you can end up with on-screen at once.  

News Comments > Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin Announced; PC Upgrade Details
4. Re: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin Announced; PC Upgrade Details Nov 26, 2014, 16:52 jacobvandy

Or we can wait to find out exactly how they're handling this on PC, before jumping to conclusions for another excuse to bitch at a publisher... We already know that the gameplay changes are included free in the patch for everybody. You don't even know if how they're doing DX11 will make any significant difference (that's probably just how they handled porting it to the new consoles), but you're already crying foul over the notion of them leaving it to the GOTY edition? I'll probably just get this when it's cheap for the DLC. If they offer it cheaper as an upgrade for the standard edition, even better.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Nov 25, 2014, 19:05 jacobvandy

GMG really took the piss today... Got an email from them at 11:30am, saying "25% off all games!" Yadda yadda yadda, I know it doesn't apply to everything (because they're bigger now, they're not as awesome as they used to be), but it specifically names DA:I. So great, I figure I might as well jump on this to grab it for $45, right? WRONG. "The voucher could not be applied" when I'm trying to go through check-out. Look at their forums and see other people complaining that it doesn't work with DA:I. Some quoting customer service saying that was a limited-time offer, despite no mention of such nonsense in the email and the fact the voucher is supposed to be valid until Thanksgiving. I tried at about 2:00pm, 90 minutes after I got the email, but guys on their forums have been bitching since yesterday! =/  

News Comments > The Crew Reviews Delay
27. Re: The Crew Reviews Delay Nov 25, 2014, 18:17 jacobvandy

Just another reason to dislike "persistently connected" games that really don't need to be; it's a very convenient excuse to not allow pre-release coverage. Thousands of games with online components have been reviewed early over the years. INCLUDING MMORPGS! Ubisoft isn't doing themselves any favors with this.  

News Comments > Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes
15. Re: Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes Nov 25, 2014, 18:15 jacobvandy

I know that, but it's another example of policy changing to affect us all, in response to a minority abusing the system.  

News Comments > Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes
13. Re: Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes Nov 25, 2014, 17:42 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 13:34:
Dev wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 12:52:
Blue,
I don't believe this is anything to do with key resellers since key numbers are not steam tradable. The announcement also doesn't mention it. Here's text of announcement:

All new games purchased as a gift and placed in the purchaser's inventory will be untradable for 30 days. The gift may still be gifted at any time. The only change is to trading.

We've made this change to make trading gifts a better experience for those receiving the gifts. We're hoping this lowers the number of people who trade for a game only to have the game revoked later due to issues with the purchaser's payment method.

Not to mention that no key-reseller EVER sells gifts, they sell steam keys which are very much unlike steam gifts

Steam gifts are what you get from Humblebundle lately. You link account and games are "gifted"

No, Humble Bundle still gives you keys, they just use the Steam API to automatically redeem them for you. Slowly but surely, all digital retailers are finding ways to cut down on people gaming the system like they have been.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
10. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Nov 24, 2014, 15:34 jacobvandy

It is actually becoming very difficult to hold off getting DA:I until after I finish FC4... And that's coming from a guy who hasn't bought an EA game in over two years. Grant me strength! I already bumped Shadow of Mordor at about 75% complete.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2014, 09:02 jacobvandy

Maybe. I've been having a blast for like 30 hours, and I've still yet to progress to the second half of the map (it appears this time, they're not making it a surprise). It is exactly the type of emergent events mentioned in this thread that make it so fun for me. Sneaking up a radio tower and an eagle starts harassing me, so I have to shoot it, and this being pretty early in the game means I don't have silenced weapons and alert the guards below. Or racing back to town for an urgent story mission, I stumble into a skirmish between reds and blues with a goddamn rhinoceros running around attacking both sides, toppling vehicles and all that.

Sure, a pack of wild dogs screwing with you when you're scouting out a stronghold can be a pain, but it's INTERESTING. Use the tools you're given to deal with it, like tossing some meat over at your enemies so they go over there instead, or use the syringe that hides your scent or whatever so wildlife leaves you alone. The humor in this game is freaking out when you come across your first honey badger and shooting it with an RPG, nearly killing yourself and then seeing its ragdoll roll down the hill. I've also accidentally deployed the wingsuit at a low altitude where I was just trying to jump over a crevice, but then flying-squirreled myself into a cliff wall and died.

If you're judging the game on the first couple hours where you're supposed to be weaker and more at the mercy of the harsh environment, you're missing out on the badassery of running while sneaking, using a silenced .50 cal rifle to kill multiple enemies when they're lined up (or pierce the helmet of those heavy bastards), chaining takedowns in the same OP fashion you enjoyed in FC3, etc.

2370 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo