Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2208 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2014, 12:20 jacobvandy

Yup, I see an 860 [Ti] in my future... Will be perfect timing with GTA V, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to learn if that's something they're going to be promoting the stuff around.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer
9. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer Jul 26, 2014, 21:23 jacobvandy

Well, I say that because I couldn't seem to do it at all in AC4. He definitely was very grabby, but that's what I mean about dumbing it down, they took out that element of manual input. I hated tapping the drop button several times to go down the side of a building... No game, I would rather tell YOU when he grabs the fucking ledge!  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer
6. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer Jul 26, 2014, 20:04 jacobvandy

Jerykk wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 17:46:
The combat and traversal in AC never required any skill. I've played all of them and it's always been "hold-two-buttons to automatically run, climb, jump, hop, swing, etc" and "hold block and press counter to automatically kill enemies." In terms of combat, the series has actually improved slightly with each iteration. In the first game, you could literally hold block and press counter to kill every single enemy in the game. In the sequels, they added enemy types that required a slightly different tactics.

Am I crazy, or do I remember being able to climb a little higher and faster in older games, which let you use a jump and grab technique that is no longer possible? Also seemed to be easier to grab ledges when you're falling in the past, which opened up more opportunities for quicker descent. It seems in their effort to make the motion more fluid and foolproof, they've removed player ability/ingenuity from the equation.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 26, 2014, 19:03 jacobvandy

Meanwhile, the blackest black and the marijuana leaf are the only skins that ever get used. Such unique!  

News Comments > Steam Controller Redesigned?
11. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 20:13 jacobvandy

Well, the way I see it, this isn't gonna replace an Xbox controller for the games I already use that for... I guess I can see why they wanted to include a stick, but it's unnecessary unless this is gonna be the only gamepad you own.  

News Comments > EA Financials
7. Re: EA Financials Jul 23, 2014, 00:20 jacobvandy

They broke even this year, basically... All that revenue and they gained $4 million in cash flow, after a $248 million LOSS in cash last year. That's what they mean by "increase of $252 million," lmao.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Dungeon Defenders Eternity [Updated]
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dungeon Defenders Eternity [Updated] Jul 22, 2014, 19:31 jacobvandy

Yeah... It clearly stated "SINGLE-PLAYER" earlier today when I bought it. Which I only did because they boasted several new features for this game that I love and offered a 70% discount for owners of the original. Then I launched the thing, created a separate account and tolerated a superfluous OVERLAY for their shitty social network that I'll never use, only to be immediately thrown into a public lobby with like 25 people jumping around. Then all the textures were blurry blobs of shit, which I later realized to be due to the game dynamically streaming all assets as you need them... I'm content in the fact that fans have been complaining to them all day about it already, so they should be ironing out the kinks soon enough.  

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jul 21, 2014, 22:48 jacobvandy

They're not talking about mentally-ill villains, but "going crazy" being the thing to avoid in those games. Like all the way back to Eternal Darkness, with its sanity meter, and bad shit happening the lower it goes (you failing to stave off "madness"). I'm really not sure what they're driving at here, though... Maybe that it's offensive to mentally-ill people to have a game all about not going crazy? Whatevs.  

News Comments > Areal Conspiracy Theories
14. Re: Areal Conspiracy Theories Jul 21, 2014, 13:56 jacobvandy

It's also convenient to ignore the fact that video games are a mere fraction of the activity that goes on at KickStarter. They've got a whole lot more stuff to monitor -- start-ups or bold projects in every other form of media, physical product ideas, services, lots of silly stuff -- than the VERY narrow spectrum of stuff we as PC gamers are paying attention to...

It's not that they don't care about potential shenanigans, it's that maybe some jackasses trying to fleece people for $30k or so aren't very high up on their list of pressing issues as a hosting company trying to keep track of all this shit. They might have one guy, with a couple dozen other items on his daily docket, investigating this and going back and forth with the creators... Because ultimately there's only so much you can expect them to do about it. I don't get the uproar over KS as an entire concept, if you're NOT one of those 1,000 people (probably much less, with all the $1 pitchfork-mobbers in there), who might KNOWINGLY be throwing some money away. Why do you care? By acknowledging that you believe them to be "frauds," or at the very least irresponsible and unlikely to succeed, you are participating in the natural, automatic process of internet vetting that every project goes through, and thereby also acknowledging that not everything KickStarter is out to steal from you... So just back the projects from people you can believe in. It's pretty simple.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2014, 15:17 jacobvandy

Lol, anybody would kill to have a "was" like Minecraft still is... Nothing else on the Steam Top 10 would ever come close. They grossed half a million bucks in the past 24 hours, on the PC alone, which is probably more than some of the games on this list did all of last week.  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jul 20, 2014, 09:27 jacobvandy

As much as I've been enjoying Rocksmith, it is most definitely NOT a replacement for Rock Band... There are no drums, no keys, I'm not even sure it's possible to play guitar and bass together (haven't tried). The vocals are karaoke display only. They've streamlined it as a teaching and practice tool, whereas RB3 was all about the band experience, gigs and style. I'm all for having both, the only problem would be, what in the fuck am I gonna do with something like 300 DLC songs I bought for RB3 on PS3... You know Sony isn't gonna transfer that over. =/  

News Comments > Next DOOM Details Next Year
10. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 15:54 jacobvandy

DangerDog wrote on Jul 19, 2014, 15:15:
It has been rebooted and it is in trouble.

I still don't have any confidence in what they're making, nothing faithful to the original balls-to-the-walls action and gore, trying to go the slow and spooky scary route is so wrong for Doom.

Err, that is the total opposite of the impressions I've read... People are claiming they were lazy in simply ripping off the Brutal Doom mod, because of the completely over-the-top fast-paced action (including some light parkour) and excessive gore with melee finishers.

News Comments > Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes
3. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 10:38 jacobvandy

Longswd wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 10:12:
Still doesn't sound like enough, considering the loss of unique properties from off hand items. Certainly no Wizard will be switching to staves.

Pretty much this... It's a small Crusader buff, but that's about it.

News Comments > The Crew Closed Beta Monday
4. Re: The Crew Closed Beta Monday Jul 17, 2014, 20:53 jacobvandy

It's scaled way, way down, I'm sure. Like you could have a map only 100x100 miles and that is thousands of square miles...  

News Comments > Firefall Early Access
4. Re: Firefall Early Access Jul 15, 2014, 22:47 jacobvandy

LittleMe wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 21:31:
I'll try it. I've noticed a lot of the Steam user reviews aren't really reviews just a few vague sentences of how great it supposedly is.

Surprise! The only people who've had the game on Steam before today are hardcore fans from the forums, participating in the closed "delta testing" of the release day content.

News Comments > Terraria OS X and Linux Ports, Maybe
3. Re: Terraria OS X and Linux Ports, Maybe Jul 14, 2014, 22:20 jacobvandy

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 19:21:
Oh god, not more reasons for me to play Terraria again?

I can't believe they aren't just working on a sequel. While it's literally the best $2.50 I've spent on a game, I'd rather have an all new game from them to explore than having to fire up yet another generated world just to see some new stuff here and there.

He's actually been working on a sequel for some time now, even given a couple interviews as to the features he's planning.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
9. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 13, 2014, 22:29 jacobvandy

Matt and Trey have nothing to do with it... Comedy Central has 100% control over the property. So if you're gonna throw a tantrum over them monetizing it more effectively, blame the right people. SPS was an unbelievably generous exception to the rule of online television distribution, especially considering they were still trying to sell DVDs and there was never any commercial interruption if you simply used Adblock or similar. So I'll be sad to see it go, but I'm frankly amazed it has lasted this long...  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 13, 2014, 00:51 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 18:36:
DangerDog wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 13:32:
What a colossal waste of money, schools should just go back to the basics without tablets and computers. Just look at where many CEO's of tech giants send their kids to school, most of them are dead set against their children being over exposed to technology for good reason.

Do you have children? Modern computerized learning systems are extremely useful and effective. Unlike the classroom experience, they can be precisely tailored to the individual student. They include game-like elements like goals, achievements, and virtual rewards to encourage lesson completion. At the end of fifth grade my daughter's reading level was equal to an 11th grader. She was doing algebraic equations in sixth grade, something I didn't learn until 8th. Most of this is homework, so it's a complement for the classroom, not a replacement. That being said, having the ability to complete these during study hall means time after school for creative or athletic pursuits. And she does a lot of research for various projects at school online.

What you say about restricting computer access is true for younger students, but once they reach 4th or 5th grade they really need to be online. Their futures depend on it for most of the better jobs out there these days.

Good for her, but I and many of my peers did the same, with no computers involved... Not saying it's necessarily bad, but it's not some kind of magical boon, either. All it is is trying to replace teachers with technology, because big corporations stand to profit from money being invested there instead of in salaries for honest, hard-working human beings.

8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 9, 2014, 20:18 jacobvandy

Yeah, cherry-pick one of the three definitions listed there, lol... And it's not even the first: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport

Everything in there includes something about diversion, recreation, fun. Sportsmanship has nothing to do with physicality. The activity itself does not make the sport, it's the social interaction surrounding it.

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 9, 2014, 17:46 jacobvandy

Jokes about athleticism (or a lack thereof) are all well and good, but the core meaning of "sport" has more to do with competition than physical activity... And with the growing popularity of competitive gaming, it'll only be a matter of time before it eclipses most old-fashioned sports (i.e. everything but the big three in America, and who knows how long those will remain dominant with hardly anybody exercising for fun anymore).  

2208 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo