Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2058 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 20, 2014, 17:20 jacobvandy

Hell yeah, got my CE on order, hopefully it arrives by the weekend from GameStop...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ
10. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 20, 2014, 17:18 jacobvandy

Don't think I'll pay to play early, but I look forward to trying this out. Persistence and high player count alone put it in a unique position that DayZ will never reach. In response, they will need to polish a specialized style of gameplay that can't be easily emulated, namely the realistic combat. I doubt we'll be seeing people sniping at such ranges that you can't even hear the shot in H1Z1.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
17. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 20, 2014, 12:32 jacobvandy

LOL, alright then! So you know the secret, we should elect you president, huh? Boy oh boy, I can't wait to be debt-free in 2016!  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 20, 2014, 01:03 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2014, 23:36:
So you're saying we're resource poor in NA? That's news to me. And as for the argument that our governments couldn't do it is also news, as we used to have several services such as phones that were considered essential services. And these companies have enjoyed massive benefits in both tax reductions and subsidies. Exxon, as a single example, makes 40 plus billion a year in pure profit and still gets about 5 billion per year in tax benefits and subsidies. So you're arguing that's really necessary?

So I suppose it's also news to you that NA is in debt up to our fucking eyeballs? US owes 17.5 TRILLION and Canada 1.5 TRILLION. Even if the government wanted to (they don't), it's kinda hard to justify nation-wide charity programs when they're already in desperate need of cutting back on the ones they already offer. Saudi Arabia can afford it when they owe only $3,000 per citizen, or 20% of their GDP. US is up above 100% of GDP in debt and Canada around 2/3 GDP.

I don't understand how you could expect they be able to responsibly implement any program of the sort. Unless your idea is to come up with more ways to overspend so that we hit rock bottom faster, which could be alright depending on how you look at things...

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Apr 19, 2014, 04:18 jacobvandy

Just goes to show you how threatened big media outlets feel by the new generation of DIY media. When one guy with a microphone and/or webcam can drive as much traffic to a video review as IGN gets with their padded 12-page click harvesters, a senior editor on a corporate salary might get some anxiety over justifying why his job even exists...  

News Comments > Dupe Bug Causes ESO Bank Closures
5. Re: Dupe Bug Causes ESO Bank Closures Apr 18, 2014, 19:32 jacobvandy

Well if they have any wits about them at all (who knows at this point), ZOS will be able to identify those who abused the glitch and make appropriate adjustments. Or they could flat-out ban them, which would be better than nothing. These things happen, and there needs to be a way to deal with it to prevent cascading consequences. I remember in the early days of GW2 when cheap items bought with karma could be re-sold to vendors for a coin profit; high level characters were able to earn so much karma from events that it was like a printing press, some people made out with hundreds or even thousands of gold. The worst offenders had it taken away, and they cried like little bitches, but the community was better for it.  

News Comments > BioShock Postmortem
4. Re: BioShock Postmortem Apr 17, 2014, 23:25 jacobvandy

It's been a while since I read about it, but the trans-dimensional travel stuff had to do with those creepy twin siblings that follow you around. They contracted him and sent him there IIRC.  

News Comments > Steam Guard Scam Warning
4. Re: Steam Guard Scam Warning Apr 17, 2014, 12:20 jacobvandy

No kidding... Besides the fact that Valve wouldn't be calling it "downloading" when you're giving them a file from your computer, all you need to do is look at the address bar. No secure connection, AND it's mis-spelled. GG newbs.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
9. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 17, 2014, 00:46 jacobvandy

A toddler doesn't need to be staring at a screen 2 feet from their face for hours a day in order to be computer literate... It is in fact harmful to their development, not least of all physically. Mostly likely they'll grow up to look like our old friend here.  

News Comments > SHiFT Heartbleed Warning
3. Re: SHiFT Heartbleed Warning Apr 16, 2014, 19:49 jacobvandy

I honestly don't even care to change my Shift password... What are they gonna do with that if they have it? Redeem me some golden keys?

With that said, I'll probably be looking into one of those secure password manager apps to use with some accounts that really matter. Or finally take this advice in coming up with some new ones.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2014, 19:55.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack
25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 17:56 jacobvandy

Keep in mind that it's not all about pleasing the current player base... One of their goals in updating the game is to improve the new user experience. Some people will bitch about anything that's different, but especially if they feel they've been wronged somehow. Well, you only feel that way because you knew what it was like before. What if the way it was before wasn't right?  

News Comments > 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners
58. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 16:41 jacobvandy

There was indeed a period of at least 2-3 years between Steam launching and the start of tracking play time.

And I agree that the DOTA 2 and TF2 data is invalid because they are free-to-play. Hell, according to Ars, everyone that "owns" them has also played them...? Impossible. If 5% of the people that own Skyrim haven't played it, then at least that many people haven't actually launched a those free games that were added to their library on a whim. I'm one of them, for DOTA.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2014, 16:50.

14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 15:04 jacobvandy

Overflow was never restricted to people from one server, though, as far as I know. It's apparently some kind of myth that people have spread for as long as the game's been out, but I always saw the chat in overflow consisting of at least half "what server is this? It's ____ stupid! No it's not, i'm from ____. Well I'm from ____... It's overflow, duh!" Then they all start arguing over what server is the best, etc.  

12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 13:32 jacobvandy

Yeah I don't get that either. It's been live since yesterday morning, I hopped on for a bit to check it out and do some maintenance... I got like 300 unid dyes refunded for all the duplicate colors I had across my characters, which was cool.

The wardrobe is awesome, and actually fixed an issue I had before where I lost a couple pieces of gem store armor skins because they were bound to another toon and I didn't know the trick to transmute it to a white item to make it account bound... Unlocking the skin from one piece gives you the whole set.

Anyway, I'm kicking myself for deleting a duplicate ascended ring I had before too, because now that that stuff isn't soulbound, I could have used it! Ah well. I'm kind of torn on the trait changes, but being able to adjust them on the fly more than makes up for slower progression while leveling. Account wide world vs world XP is great too, and I'm definitely looking forward to getting dungeon rewards from PvP. Never been a fan of raids.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 15, 2014, 17:44 jacobvandy

Orogogus wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 02:42:
It would be more free if you didn't have to buy TurboTax, is the point. Their whole business is based on lobbying the government to keep sucking.

You don't have to buy TurboTax... Just get a free account on their website and it's all right there.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2014, 12:36 jacobvandy

The aggressive effort to collect old debts started three years ago the result of a single sentence tucked into the farm bill lifting the 10-year statute of limitations on old debts to Uncle Sam.

And there you go. Fucking hell...

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Getting AMD Mantle Support
3. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Getting AMD Mantle Support Apr 15, 2014, 11:38 jacobvandy

I have no idea what you're talking about.

But Civ is far more reliant on CPU than GPU. You will improve your FPS more, and cut down a lot on time between turns, with a better processor. It's practically a 2D game in terms of its visual load; when you have a huge game going and you're scrolling around the map, it's more your data processing capabilities (CPU/RAM/disk) that are the limiting factor, not rendering all the tiny, repeating, and not-very-detailed 3D models.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 15, 2014, 02:27 jacobvandy

Seems the new generation of consoles launching has thrown a monkey wrench in for the PC release. Maybe it'll arrive simultaneously with Xbone and PS4 versions, but we could possibly see the usual exclusivity timeframe being delayed until those are out.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 15, 2014, 02:17 jacobvandy

I don't really care, all I know is TurboTax is pretty quick and easy and FREE for filing my FIT... They bug me to pay a fee to transfer the info over to my state filing, but I just ignore all that nonsense.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Apr 15, 2014, 01:56 jacobvandy

The entire argument against violent video games is moot, because violent video games are not made for kids... It goes back to the parenting. Sitting little Johnny in front of Call of Duty all day (so you don't have to bother baby-sitting... GG parental responsibility) is no different than sending him to see an R-rated movie by himself or buying him an Insane Clown Posse album to listen to on his iPod, and then proceeding to complain about that stuff screwing him up mentally. That kind of media is not meant to be consumed by children, especially not without any sort of moderation or grounding wisdom to temper it. Any sane person who knows right from wrong will not be affected one way or the other. Many kids can and do handle exposure to violent games just fine... Quit trying to point fingers and regulate artistic expression, and start throwing retarded parents in jail.  

2058 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo