Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2302 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released
11. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 13:16 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 11:24:
Let's hope there'll be an SDK.. because if CIV5 was any indication there'll be ZERO fundamentally different mods for this.

I watched a pretty long (3 hour) complete let's play and the game seems to be absolutely dumbed down. You basically control your advancement per research and quests (based on buildings you build and units you kill) ONLY. And Unit modification is only a dumbed down CIV5 perk system with a 2-way or 3-way unit upgrade choice when it comes down to it.

But what really bothered me was how lazy everything looked. The factions are cookie cutter identical, gone are the different city styles from Alpha Centauri per race (now only per affinity), the Aliens are Starship Trooper style cannon fodder (actually, literally starship trooper style bugs) and the various factions don't even have any identity: You could call them AI 1 AI 2 AI 3 and you'd not notice a difference between them. You won't get a angry letter that you just destroyed half the planets aliens... and the win screen doesn't even have sodding stats.

game devs becoming lazy and this is so clearly a CIV5 mod (where the modders got the actual SDK) that it is sad. This is nothing a mod team couldn't have done if there'd be a decent CIV5 SDK

All I got from watching that complete playthrough (on second highest difficulty I might add) was that I want to watch starship troopers again ;p

Mmhmm, except judging a game like Civ on the first 3 hours is like judging a movie on its opening credits...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Play Civilization V Free This Week
16. Re: Bah! Oct 21, 2014, 09:01 jacobvandy

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 08:50:
Eh, I liked Civ 5 except for the late stages. In every Civ game I have to colonize the entire planet on the largest map size. Unfortunately the game engine is a real dog compared to all previous releases. Loading times extend into several minutes and turns take forever. They clearly designed it for shorter playthroughs and smaller maps. I have 16GB of RAM and this shouldn't be an issue. Except it is and it's a common one.

Unless I hear they significantly optimized Beyond Earth I'll wait for a sale.

More like they just didn't put enough thought into how much data crunch is required when you balloon up into the huge maps with 10+ civs. A faster CPU can shave off upwards of tens of seconds in AI-turn time, every turn. Which can easily translate to saving 30-60 minutes of waiting around in a playthrough. So don't say there aren't any games that benefit from that kind of upgrade!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
51. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 20, 2014, 08:44 jacobvandy

If you liked Borderlands 2, you'll like TPS. And I don't mean "if you tolerated BL2," which I know is about the limit of the favor a few people around here have for the series. If you throw up in your mouth at the thought of playing through the story again on True Vault Hunter Mode or leveling an alt class, then you don't like it and probably shouldn't waste your money. Wait until it's on sale at a price you're comfortable paying in exchange for that one 15-20 hour playthrough.  

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released
4. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released Oct 14, 2014, 11:26 jacobvandy

Dagnamit wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 11:20:
I'm redboxing this one for my 360 to see if it's worth a purchase. $60 seems steep for this game. Should have been $50, maybe $40.

You can buy that cheap or cheaper in some places already...

I'm enjoying the low grav and laser guns! Pew pew pew!

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
31. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 12:31 jacobvandy

Prez wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 12:23:
Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 12:16:
Prez wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 12:10:
I never understand the "you can use an unsupported fix" crowd excusing shoddy porting. Yes I can use a few console commands or make some config.ini changes, but "unsupported" means if it doesn't work or if screws your game up it's basically 'tough shit'. I like that the flexibility to utilize such things exists to be sure but I'm not too keen on the idea that developers are relying on it like they seem to be.

Leaving it in there usually means it probably won't mess your game up, though. It might, and they're not going to take the QA time to find out for sure, but it probably won't.

If it probably would, they just wouldn't include it because more headaches will come with including a gamebreaking option than in just not including it at all.

So yeah, it may screw things up, but the fact that they're including it means they're pretty certain it won't.
So is it just a matter of not having the time/resources to fully QA test it?

Or as already mentioned, a real smarmy designer refusing to allow it. For all we know, Bethesda is doing you a favor by enabling these debug commands to get around the limitations, and they have to call them that and say they're unsupported or else they wouldn't be included at all. But to consider that would be to interrupt the self-gratifying circle-jerk of hatred we have going on here...

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
7. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 10:13 jacobvandy

I have no issue with a developer making a SURVIVAL HORROR game that is targeting 30 fps and 2.35:1 for aesthetic purposes. They're giving you the option to bypass those choices yourself, yet you still bitch and moan?  

News Comments > Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations
28. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 7, 2014, 23:44 jacobvandy

I remember RPS saying they didn't get pre-release code, and they had no idea why. When asked directly, WB gave them the ol' "no comment." I bet they didn't bother approaching them with this nonsense because they knew they're the type to call them out on it.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Delayed
9. Re: Pillars of Eternity Delayed Oct 2, 2014, 20:24 jacobvandy

I am GLAD they are taking feedback from the beta and acting on it...  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
9. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 2, 2014, 08:00 jacobvandy

This Kickstarter report is based on the pledges from the first half of 2014 equaling about 1/4 of the total pledges from last year... I don't think you can reasonably assume that the activity is linear like that.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 29, 2014, 23:56 jacobvandy

Yeah... It's only "decked out" compared to the average person's sub-$500 Facebook terminal.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Sep 29, 2014, 23:42 jacobvandy

It'd make a good roguelike.  

News Comments > Interstellar Marines Free Co-op Mission
6. Re: Interstellar Marines Free Co-op Mission Sep 29, 2014, 15:28 jacobvandy

It's more like a handful of devs, but yeah, it's taking a while. I guess I'm more pleased they're sticking with it than dumping it and moving on to something else entirely like a lot of the team they had 3-4 years ago did... However it's going to be a while longer yet until they realize that vision of a super immersive co-op FPS/RPG with epic story campaign. They were way ahead of the curve with the notion of crowdfunding a "AAA indie" title, so by the time Kickstarter popularized it, they had lost a lot of their momentum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhk-2Wb_IyQ

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2014, 15:02 jacobvandy

Well, I'm glad to have temperatures of ~80 in CA for the first time in almost 6 months.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 27, 2014, 15:00 jacobvandy

AKA 20-30 years, when all the current management dies off or retires...  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 24, 2014, 16:41 jacobvandy

Are you really asking whether or not convicted felons have their right to own and operate R/C helicopters revoked?  

News Comments > Steam Discovery Update
21. Re: Steam Discovery Update Sep 23, 2014, 00:16 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 23:09:
descender wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 22:21:
Click on community hub then discussions

It's been this way for months.

Perhaps, but you could just go to the right and click "Forums" prior, which was a real no-brainer.

You can still get there from the store page, you just have to go through the community hub first. Big button at the top right, level with the game's title.

News Comments > Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions
26. Re: Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions Sep 22, 2014, 14:05 jacobvandy

Double Fine is going down the tubes... People are already comparing Schaefer to John Romero. They're going to have a tough time if they ever try to crowdfund anything else.  

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Gameplay Video
5. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Gameplay Video Sep 17, 2014, 22:14 jacobvandy

harlock wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 21:57:
looks a hell of alot like planescape

#notsureifserious

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 14, 2014, 14:54 jacobvandy

This weekend's sale put a spike in Skyrim concurrent players of about 50-60% compared to last weekend. If all of that is new players, then it's way more than 10-20k sold, because the increase in concurrency is at the upper end of that range...  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Sep 11, 2014, 19:23 jacobvandy

Aw, man... That sucks. My mom is a nurse in the hospital he was at, was telling me like two days ago how nice he is and how he brought pictures to autograph for people and she got me one. I guess that means there was some freak complication, because I doubt someone expecting the end would be doing stuff like that. RIP indeed.  

2302 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo