Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 2813 (Senior)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced
44. Re: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced Jul 5, 2015, 13:52 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 11:51:
InBlack wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 11:14:
descender wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 10:02:

Real-world application performance difference between the operating systems is virtually non-existent. There's nothing really "wrong" with it at this point once you get 8.1 and classic shell, and there is no reason you would choose 7 over 8 for a new computer today... but there is basically nothing compelling or forcing an upgrade over 7 for existing machines.

This. Also, why would anyone consider DX12 exclusivity to be anything but a bait job to lure 'gamers' into upgrading and how is that exactly a good thing?

And all those bells and whistles in any new DX won't make it into games anytime soon either. Every time this happens it's always years our before people start making use of it. How long did it take for 64 bit gaming to become a reality? Christ I was using 64bit NT waiting for the 64 bit revolution...that is slowly happening almost 20 years later. And it's not like the consoles can take advantage of any of this stuff so that rules out a ton of games right there. Indeed there's really zero reason to upgrade.

Actually DX12 support is coming to Xbox One, so it may be the most quickly adopted version of the API in recent memory. The DX10/11 situation of last-gen caused by consoles being stuck on DX9 or equivalent is not likely to repeat itself. MS will be leaning on Xbone devs to make use of it and Sony will be pressured to keep up with their own API updates, both of which hopefully mean PC ports will benefit from better source material.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced Jul 4, 2015, 23:35 jacobvandy

Blackhawk wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 19:47:
From what I've seen, this is a replacement for the mobile version of the game, meant for Win 10 devices, not PCs (although it is playable on Win 10 PCs.) It is not the replacement for the PC version.

MS just did a crappy job of communicating that.

Then why give it to owners of the standard Java version for free? That right there implies its purpose as a replacement. The mobile version for iOS and Android isn't being replaced by a Windows store app, and considering their respective mobile market shares, a change of direction for the Windows Phone version is hardly worthy of attention on its own. Watch this new unified Win10 version go forward with development while the original PC edition is abandoned.

6. Re: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced Jul 4, 2015, 15:17 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 15:12:
Well it seems Microsoft PR reps are affected by the heat

"swanky operating system"
"It’s gonna be cool!"
"We spoil you"

I am not even sure what website audiences are the target for this kind of writing style?

This is an announcement from Mojang, not Microsoft. They're Swedish, AND their primary audience is kids.

But yeah, there's not much to this. Looks like the only new feature offered is cross-platform multi with Xbox.

News Comments > Tales of Symphonia for PC Announced
3. Re: Tales of Symphonia for PC Announced Jul 3, 2015, 16:11 jacobvandy

RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 15:18:
Pre-purchase a PC port of a 2003 console game? I think not.

It's a brand new game coming out in a few months on all platforms, for which the port of the 2003 game is a pre-purchase bonus.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2015, 10:59 jacobvandy

Yeah man, every little bit helps. Even when it's $2.69 off a regular price of $56.  

News Comments > World of Warships Open Beta
3. Re: World of Warships Open Beta Jul 2, 2015, 10:54 jacobvandy

Games like this would be great without the F2P MMOG bullshit layered onto them. As it is, I'll pass.  

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jul 2, 2015, 10:50 jacobvandy

I rarely took issue with driving during a mission because they pack those trips with hilarious dialogue. Sometimes I arrive at my destination sooner than they finish talking, and I wish I'd have driven slower!

Who'd have thunk a game called Grand Theft Auto would be very heavily focused on driving autos anyway? Rolleyes And yeah, you can skip most trips, if you're impatient.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 1, 2015, 21:07 jacobvandy

And pay up to $400 for it, pfft... I'm glad I was able to put my order in the first night, but now I'm thinking I should've ordered several, lol.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2015, 15:01 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 14:26:
I'm curious what comes to mind first for our Yankee cousins south of the border when they think of Canadian music.

IT'S BEEN

News Comments > Morning Patches
2. Re: Morning Patches Jul 1, 2015, 10:34 jacobvandy

Unfortunately, about half the ?'s in Skellige are smuggler's caches floating in the sea, filled with worthless loot.

Interesting that they only have the one DLC for this week...

News Comments > Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC
4. Re: Dark Souls Sells > 8M Copies, 40% for PC Jul 1, 2015, 10:32 jacobvandy

It just makes it that much more worth it when you finally beat that boss and loot his corpse!  

News Comments > Terraria Patched
9. Re: Terraria Patched Jun 30, 2015, 19:59 jacobvandy

There's a bug a lot of people seem to be experiencing, including myself, that old worlds may not show up in-game. I expect a hotfix for this soon because they've always been compatible.  

News Comments > Terraria Patched
2. Re: Terraria Patched Jun 30, 2015, 18:20 jacobvandy

There is so much new stuff, it's fucking bonkers. So far, all I've done is run around a bit on a fresh map with an end-game character I still had saved to see some of the new items, but I intend to completely start over soon. It's may very well be the best value for the money you can find on Steam (barring free games that can technically be considered having infinite value for the money :p).  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 30, 2015, 11:23 jacobvandy

To put the click-bait in context, Hines is referring to a hypothetical situation where they launched the mobile game sooner than the FO4 announcement. I guess they could have done so last year, but people would have been pissed that they get a mobile game when they've been clamoring for proper Fallout, and so the decision was made to wait.  

News Comments > WB Games Montréal New IP Referenced
4. Re: WB Games Montréal New IP Referenced Jun 30, 2015, 11:10 jacobvandy

A proper Superman game would kick ass! I haven't played one since N64...  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 30, 2015, 11:08 jacobvandy

5 cents is nothing compared to the $2-3 ATM fees people routinely pay for the convenience of withdrawing money at the gas station/grocery store/strip club rather than their own bank's locations. An increasing number of businesses charge a flat ~35-cent fee for debit card transactions, too, if they accept it at all (credit card fees are generally subsidized by the issuing company AFAIK). A much larger number of people pay that, without hesitation. "Real" money has plenty of fees of its own.  

News Comments > World of Fishing EU Closed Beta
4. Re: World of Fishing EU Closed Beta Jun 30, 2015, 02:06 jacobvandy

I prefer Ridiculous Fishing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzKcJ8QFbMk  

News Comments > Steam Hardware Early Preorders Sold Out
21. Re: Steam Hardware Early Preorders Sold Out Jun 29, 2015, 22:31 jacobvandy

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:19:
I don't think they are talking steam machines, steam isn't making the steam machines are they? Not surprised about the other, esp the controller, lots of people interested and willing to try.

No they're not. Valve themselves only sell the controller and Steam Link.

News Comments > DiRT Rally Patched
4. Re: DiRT Rally Patched Jun 29, 2015, 21:53 jacobvandy

Well, it's a racing game, the main thing is making the cars look good. Everything else is just a blur, so it's a waste to put a lot of effort in pushing the boundaries of graphical fidelity to the point you're straining performance.

DiRT games have often been used as benchmarks in GPU reviews, but it's kind of moot when you're comparing 150 fps with this card to 180 in that one, etc.

News Comments > Scrolls Closing
26. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 29, 2015, 21:15 jacobvandy

Rigs wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 20:34:
I realize that but surely some of his massive 'dive-into-the-pile-ScroogeMcDuck-style' of money is still invested in some way?

=-Rigs-=

Why would it be? He sold his stake in the company specifically to be done with the whole thing. He's not interested in Minecraft anymore, or anything to do with that company. He was seen as the head honcho who calls all the shots at Mojang even after they had a new CEO and lead for Minecraft, and he didn't want to continue to be held responsible for things being done he had nothing to do with anymore. It'd be pretty silly to sell your shares, only to take some of that money and buy some back... Is that what you're asking?

2813 Comments. 141 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo