Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 853 (Graduate)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 16, 2015, 11:49 descender

I'd love to know what other games you think were GOTY worthy if you don't mind expanding on your answer.

With all of the early access shit going on I've really not kept up much outside of the major releases. I kind of checked out of indie games for the last year or so... once they greenlighted greenlight it was just too much to keep track of.

I feel like I have probably missed some "must-play 2014" experiences somewhere.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
77. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 16, 2015, 11:02 descender

I made a pretty nifty traffic splitter last night to funnel all truck/industrial traffic to a separate set of roads from the residential areas. Pretty damn awesome, really enjoying it so far.

I've kind of stalled out at around 30k people on my first city, which is also where I learned that you run out of natural resources like Oil... surprise, your Oil power plants are no longer running! Bzzzzt.

News Comments > Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support
8. Re: Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support Mar 14, 2015, 17:15 descender

I don't think you live in the real world Cutter. What are you rambling about Steam as DRM for? He's not even saying that using DRM is a waste of time, he's saying there are better, more subtle ways to handle it than trying to simply encrypt/verify access to the game or requiring online connections.

This guy is talking about utilizing post release support to combat piracy.

Providing hundreds of GB of patches to your customers is not "simple" or cheap for anyone, and there are a myriad of benefits to Steam for both the consumer and the developer. You simply have your head too far up your own ass trying to blanket "everything DRM" as a bad thing to see the forest for the trees.

You want to pretend that offering a GOG DRM free version of the game is going to significantly increase their sales and reduce piracy, and that's just silly. Walling in access to mods via the Steam workshop and offering the game on an extremely popular and convenient service is how you beat pirates. Not by sticking your head in the sand or throwing your hands in the air.

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
43. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 12, 2015, 16:44 descender

Is there any reason why we can't just get a CryEngine-ified version

Because Cryengine sucks ass!

Seriously. There have been exactly zero successful Cryengine multiplayer games.

News Comments > etc.
32. Re: etc. Mar 12, 2015, 14:28 descender

I only point that out because 10 years ago any doctor claiming that high cholesterol foods don't raise blood cholesterol was considered a hack, but now it turns out that he was right.

Doctors != Scientists != Doctors

The science has never really officially lined up with the FDA dietary guidelines on things like sugar, cholesterol, salt or fats. Doctors are mostly big pharma shills, and they do very little critical thinking or research outside of what they are spoon fed by the AMA/FDA.

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Mar 11, 2015, 16:41 descender

Well... I disagree. It is absolutely their job to produce articles worth reading. Too often are people that merely regurgitate facts or events mistaken for "journalists". Restating facts is not "journalism". Getting to the root cause of an issue and editorializing on different possible outcomes of results is exactly what they should be doing.

I very specifically avoid "gaming press" bullshit, I don't care about the gamergate nonsense or any of the hysteria that has been going on lately. Have you ever actually read things outside of the gaming press? You blamed me for this but you are the one that seems guilty of it. There are reporters, and then there are journalists. They are not the same people and they do not produce the same things.

I was very specifically commenting about the fact that writing "take down" type articles like this without proposing any sort of alternatives is completely and utterly pointless. What was learned from this article? What was gained from reading it?

Absolutely nothing.

I can read about how Greenlight "failed in concept" anywhere on any gaming site. I have had no interest in reading the 150th version of that exact same story (which I have now completely read twice thinking I was missing something, nope). It doesn't specifically have to include a "solution" but... in this world of over-saturation we live in, you better bring something unique to the table or simply put the pen down.

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Mar 11, 2015, 13:55 descender

Since when do articles require the writer to have solutions to the problems they write about? That's not their job, nor should it be.

God forbid, the article might have to contain information actually worth reading!

Complaining for the sake of complaining is not interesting or useful in any way.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Video
31. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Video Mar 9, 2015, 09:30 descender

absolutely hate how this game plays by mouse

Not sure what you mean by this, since the menus for KB+M and gamepad as exactly the same.

The potions implementation in this series has always been a little strange. Can't drink during combat, can't know what you are going to face until combat, must drink potions before combat. I went through basically the entire game (and most of the first one) without ever really using them.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
33. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 8, 2015, 13:54 descender

Guys, Axis keeps proving himself 100% correct. He's got it under control.  

27. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2015, 16:52 descender

Income inequality:
A liberal farce. If I could hire someone for less doing the same job, why would I hire or keep anyone else for more?
Well that's not what income inequality is about at all, so go educate yourself. (Also... See: Capitalism is evil)

Who's doing all they can to legalize the illegals?
Decent human beings following the (ready for it?) Christian ideology of acceptance (love thy neighbor).

Who wants all wars ended no matter the cost.
No one wants wars ended "no matter the cost". They mostly don't want them started "no matter the cost" either. People who don't support illegal wars are probably going to be against them though. People who don't want our troops dying needlessly for oil profits are probably going to be against them. ISIS thanks YOU and your party for creating the power vacuum required for them to rise in to power.

Who regurgitates "Bushs Fault" so much its a viral meme.
Bush was a fucking retard. Go ahead, feel free to dispute that. Do people overplay what was 'his fault'? Sure. Do smart people do that? No, and you knew that already.

Who demonizes others as racist, homophobes, islamaphobes?
People who aren't bigots and racists. Who are generally bigots and racists? Republicans. Don't be so defensive, they aren't accusing anyone of something that isn't actually happening.

Who demonizes food, forces "healthy" federal lunches, limits sizes?
OK, now you're starting to walk off the deep end. Trying to eat healthy has to be a "liberal agenda"? That can't just be "common fucking sense"?

Who demonizes corporations, capitalism?
People who are consistently fucked over by corporations. Explain how this is any more or less mature than demonizing anything to do with the "government".

Who lobbies gun control and global warming "laws".
Smart, civilized people. Once again you have failed to identify any sort of actual negative connotation as to why this is a bad thing. This is also completely backwards. The only reason the gun laws haven't been changed is because of the gun lobby. 90% of the American public wants changes to the gun law... are you some how implying that 90% of the country has a liberal agenda?

Is that all?

EDIT:
I have nothing else to say, you said it all best.
You really had nothing useful to say in the first place.

22. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2015, 16:44 descender

• Oh man I totally forgot the war on Christmas! Another FauxNews Special full lies so hard to believe it's a wonder why they even bother. They lie about things getting banned in places that never actually happened... They paint America as if it were founded as a Christian nation even though this is specifically forbidden in the "sacred text" of the Constitution. Then there is Papa Bear's crusade on the word "holiday"...

It's hilarious what inane shit they will latch on to in the name of "freedom".

Axis:
    These "talking points" are direct from your party's mouth, and regurgitated in all forms of media.

First of all, no they are not. Stop acting like a child. We are mostly adults here.

Secondly... most of those are progressive LOGICAL ideas, not necessarily "liberal" and definitely not an "agenda" that is being "pushed" by anyone. The reason you can't wrap your head around this is because you are so hyper-partisan that you honestly believe anything you don't agree with must come from some liberal fantasyland. You seem to have gone to great lengths to prove what jdreyer said was exactly 100% correct.

I challenge you to find some sources for that wall of nonsense you just posted. I know you won't, because you don't have any... and you'll pretend it's my responsibility to prove your stupid shit wrong. Well, that's not how the world works, little man!

EDIT: Actually can't tell if beremot was being sarcastic when he wrote his post so... yeah.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2015, 16:59.

21. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2015, 16:38 descender

Hello double post. Where did you come from?

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2015, 17:02.

18. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2015, 16:01 descender

There is absolutely no liberal equivalent of "Fox & Friends" or Rush Limbaugh... or anything remotely similar to their ilk. The only thing that is even remotely similar would be the Daily Show, and that's a comedy show... not a propaganda machine masquerading as "real news".

Most right-wingers do tend to be bigoted and racist, I don't even understand how you could attempt to refute that. They are publicly anti-immigrant, anti-equality... anti-anything not christian...
    The "war on everything" has basically been completely fabricated by FauxNews to keep your eyes glued to the screen.
    No one is trying to "take your guns", but I bet I know where you heard that...

Capitalism is pretty fuckin evil.

Income inequality is a real thing. Do you deny it is a problem?

Sorry dude, but you continually have your head buried in the sand on a myriad of issues. You get all of your political talking points from one place with zero critical thinking involved, and it's blatantly obvious.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2015, 16:13.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Postmortem
    35. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 14:39 descender

There are about ~50 people in the world that actually give a shit about the difference between solo runs and speed runs in T6.

You don't seem to be able to separate playing the game in one extremely specific (and un-fun and obnoxiously elitist) fashion from the way that the other 99% of the world plays it.

Maybe it's not balanced for that portion of the game because there is no reason to... no reason to devote development time to 50 people out of 30 million customers. When you get to the upper limits of these games, you need to stop fucking playing and start playing a new game... instead of beating your head into a brick wall repeatedly and complaining that it's not quite soft enough for you. You're effectively playing a never-ending, forever uphill battle against a treadmill.

I don't understand the desire to play these aRPG's "forever". They simply aren't that fun or that deep/rewarding of an experience.

16. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2015, 14:34 descender

Axis, you're going to hurt yourself with all of that stupid.

I find it hilarious when people like you try to flip all of the lunatic things the FauxNews crowd complains about as if they were actually liberal agendas.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Postmortem
    15. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 11:22 descender

Maybe trying to group with the elite powergaming .1% of the player base isn't the best example of "shitty class balance".

The other 200hours you had to play the Barb to get to that point were just fine.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
    11. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 5, 2015, 17:41 descender

I guess that was a pretty stupidly phrased question. Sorry :p

I think there is going to be quite a wait for those 4K VR goggles.

The smallest 4K display is currently... 9.6 inches? The only pixel density push in the consumer world has been from smartphones, and they aren't going to push for 4K because you can't physically see the difference between 1080p and 4k at those sizes unless they are glued to your face. You will need screen densities of 900+ pixels per inch to get 4K down to VR goggle size, nearly double what they are now.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
    6. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 5, 2015, 08:38 descender

Why is there even going to be a market for "mobile VR"?

Don't you need to use those eyes to like... be mobile?

Why are people seemingly convinced they will be able to see the difference between 1080p and 4K on a 2 inch screen?

So many questions.

News Comments > etc., etc.
    12. Re: etc., etc. Mar 5, 2015, 08:21 descender

Let's look at the list of successful, well received and still-loved Cryengine games for a minute.

Star Citizen... maybe.

OK... that was fun. IMO They fucked up royally when they decided to go with Cryengine. Gunplay/Netcode always always always sucks in this engine, and it also didn't help them to artificially fracture their playerbase with the DX9 cutoff. Is it really just a coincidence that not a single game made in this engine has any longevity?

Since the first alpha this has always felt like half of a game. Where is the campaign so we give a shit about the backstory of the hunters? Or learn how to use the skills of each class in a controlled setting? The Solo vs AI mode doesn't really accomplish this well.

This game is about as generic of an arena MP game they could come up with. Hunters vs a monster. Ding! Let's not waste any more time on concept or gameplay, start coding!

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2015, 08:26.

News Comments > EA Closing Maxis?
    19. Re: EA Closing Maxis? Mar 4, 2015, 18:51 descender

You guys left out SimCopter! Fly around in your own city!

The future used to be so much better.

853 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 3.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo