Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 723 (Apprentice)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2014, 16:34 descender

A) I actually drew that line on people championing the gamergate scandal as MUST SEE TV, not people championing equality. Straw Man.
B) I don't need to cite people being dismissive and uncivil, you are doing it.
C) At no point have I ever stated that the people involved in gamergate don't deserve to be punished. More straw man.

Isn't it great about how you stump for people to get ignored, then obviously read everything they say and respond to it anyway? Please, continue to be uncivil and dismissive and not address any of the questions I've raised. It's definitely proving... something...

What we're sick of is hypocrisy and being attacked for daring to point it out or disagree with people whose intentions are far from good.

Your (hilariously ironic) words.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2014, 16:40.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
47. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2014, 16:22 descender

What is this "other perspective" that you seem to think exists or that I'm even talking about? I'm not defending the idiot journalists or the idiot woman in any way at all. It's quite apparent that you are not making any attempt to understand what I'm talking about here, but you can't wait to respond saying so.

Easier to just speak AT me and dismiss me than have a discussion about it though, amirite?

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2014, 15:51 descender

I've yet to really get a response though, without being told I shouldn't be even talking about it by you and a few others (even being dismissed as dishonest the other day). On the scale of scandals one should be concerned with, this seems like such a teeny-weeny baby of a scandal. What is the end result to be searched for here, the one that results in something positive? Much like my question about "who could have bought mojang that anyone would have been happy about"... I get no answer, just negative feedback.

I'm looking for answers and I will I probably continue to ask questions until I actually get some. "it matters to people" doesn't really help me understand why. Obviously it matters to them for some reason, or I wouldn't be asking.

If the end result of all of this is the same basic lack of faith in the credibility of game reviewers that already existed before it... what has actually been accomplished?

edit: Please, stop trying to suggest that I'm trying to derail or downplay things, you couldn't be farther from the truth. The most truly "scandalous" things I can even work out of all of these "revelations" are that a bunch of guys ganged up and harassed a woman, a woman slept with someone (or a few someone's) in a failed attempt to get ahead in the world, and that people take money in exchange for voicing a certain "opinion". Hardly the first or last time any of those stories will be told.

I'm not "failing to see the other side" because I'm not defending any position you are seemingly against. It seems to be just a little over the top for what's really gone on.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2014, 16:09.

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2014, 15:27 descender

Talking about things like "smokin guns" and the flagrantly abrasive response by some people around here (and not just around here, gaming communities in general) to anyone that even question a part of the narrative, or asks a tangential question may blowing things a bit out of proportion though.

When things start trending on twitter, I'd say arms are being all 'up' in themselves. :p

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2014, 15:07 descender

I completely agree that they should be held to a standard, a higher standard than almost any other profession as it is supposedly their duty to inform the public. But then you are really talking about "journalists", and these writers do not qualify in any way as such.

These people write consumer product reviews, that is their job. They editorialize on the side. They simply take advantage of a platform they were provided to do something else with. If you choose to read or believe anything they say about things they are not qualified to understand, that's probably at least partially your own fault.

Study requires distance, and a bunch of people that need sources and exclusive information from other people in game industry to do their jobs are probably not a good source of information about the unflattering things that go on within it.

People can barely be bothered to raise a stink about actual journalists who misreport the actual news that affects actual people's lives. To be so outraged about this, as if it matters or is in any way a good use of activistic energy in the slightest just seems to be dishonest and piling into the same agenda-driving train they are simultaneously railing against.

The shaky-fist "ooooh they're gonna get it now" rah-rah going on makes no sense to me. At best what "they" are gonna get is fired (deservedly so), and then instantly replaced by... another random person with a different set of weaknesses, biases and opinions. Then what has really been accomplished by focusing so much on tearing down these particular idiot writers?

Note: None of the pronouns in this rant are aimed directly at you jdreyer. Just want to make that clear :p

edit: verno, that's not really what I mean when I say "who cares". It's more about the "why does this particular example of corruption in journalism matter so much to you" that I describe in the rest of my post that you seem to be missing, or purposely glossing over... I don't know. aseven refers to this guy below as "another big name SJW"... Is he really?I did not know that was even possible with 80 twitter followers.

I'm all for "bringing things to light" but not losing focus on the bigger picture while beating said things into the ground.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2014, 15:20.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: 500 million dollars Sep 19, 2014, 13:19 descender

I wonder how many "gaming journalists" immediately offered up a "lowered score" to Activision for payment when that contract leaked. /s(?)

#thegamergateiscomingfrominsidethehouse

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2014, 12:59 descender

So help me understand something here... forgive me for phrasing this so poorly the last time I said this but... who actually give rats ass what "Andrew Ross Atkinson" thinks? Some random person in Arkansas is not relevant to my life or yours in any way that I can understand.

This may be a great lesson to the twitter generation (I hereby propose anyone born after ~1995 as generation-twit). There are 82 people "following" that guy, and his feed is filled with photoshopped GoT pics and cat pictures and a bunch of nonsense. Why is his opinion relevant on ANY topic, let alone this one?

Is it such a shock to find out that there are cruel and inhumane assholes in the world? People that are more than willing to voice their ignorant and bigoted opinions? Or that "journalism" in general might not actually be free from the corruptions that permeate the entirety of society?

Is this whole #gamergate thing really the digital generation's version of finding out santa claus isn't real?

I doubt anyone over 30 is actually shocked at a single "revelation" going on in this entire #gamergate story. "There are bigots and stupid people in the world" is not really new news, and "Money corrupts" is a story only being told since... the invention of money... Professionals in similar professions conspire to influence, control and amplify their grasp on their tiny slice of the world? Duh?

Will some eventually good come of all of this? Maybe, but it can't simply be tearing down these people. That's not enough. Someone needs to pick up their failed banner and lead it the right way. Pointing fingers at people has never solved anything.

Twitter itself has become a vile, unfiltered reality check for society as a whole.

At the very least I hope that this brings a healthy dose of skepticism about "journalism" as a whole to those so drastically offended by this scandal. Maybe the next time their TV feeds them their daily echo-chamber of (anti)government propaganda and ideology, they won't sheepishly follow along.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2014, 13:16.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Trailer & Skill Trees
23. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Trailer & Skill Trees Sep 18, 2014, 13:27 descender

Did they rip that hover jet straight out of UT2k4? With the squash drop move and everything...

Maybe someday there will be 2 skill buttons. Until then, bargain bin!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 13:20 descender

I feel your pain, I'm still working on games I bought 2 or 3 summer sales ago :/  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
15. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 descender

Because someone lied in a video game review? and the world apparently has to stop and deal with that first.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 12:07 descender

Some "tropes" are there for the viewer (like the helmet light) and not really meant to be realistic... they just want you to be able to see the movie.

Being 'realistic" doesn't instantly make things more entertaining. Something I wish some video game developers would learn.

News Comments > Op Ed
63. Re: So why do publishers keep doing it? Sep 18, 2014, 11:48 descender

Lump people into stereotypes and then immediately dismiss their opinion. Talk about "intellectual dishonesty"? There's the poster child.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2014, 12:10.

News Comments > Op Ed
62. Re: So why do publishers keep doing it? Sep 18, 2014, 11:43 descender

I don't think that word means what you think it means.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $53M
15. Re: Star Citizen Passes $53M Sep 18, 2014, 00:43 descender

Mr Roberts better keep his phone charged, Nadella should be calling any day now.  

News Comments > Op Ed
59. Re: So why do publishers keep doing it? Sep 18, 2014, 00:33 descender

Small minds discuss people... and you two can't seem to get enough.

Almost 5% of your posts have to do with Beamer. I think you are secretly in love.

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
128. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 17, 2014, 14:53 descender

I think the current success of the game the way it exists today get confused with any sort of sustainable future. There basically wasn't a future for minecraft, and the scams and viruses plaguing the mod community currently could easily have killed off the interest of modders themselves. IMO, it was going to die on it's own within a few years anyway. Now that definitely won't be the case... at least not for the same reason.

The game is already being affected in negative ways. Simply adding a centralized mod/skin store could extend the life of the existing product by years.

I had asked below and no one responded. What company has the capital, and could have purchased the IP that would have been an acceptable landing spot? Surely not Valve/Ubisoft/Activision/EA/Bioware/Apple...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
44. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 17, 2014, 14:34 descender

Physical books are also a way of "showing off" by having an impressive bookshelf in your house that other's will assume you have read.

On the other hand if you are having dinner at someone's house and there is an Atlas Shrugged on that bookshelf, you know to just back away slowly and head for the door.

No one can easily judge you based on what's in your eReader. What good is that? :p /s

News Comments > Xbox One Controller for Windows in November
23. Re: Xbox One Controller for Windows in November Sep 17, 2014, 14:30 descender

I hate 360 pads. I have pretty big hands so they are just flat out uncomfortable for any extended period of time... and I hate the off-axis left analog stick placement. "Up" the way I have to hold the tiny ass controller is not actually "up" the way the controller detects it. Couple in round bases for the analog sticks giving no easy identification of absolute directions... ick. I fail miserably at tiger woods on a 360 because of the uncertainty of where straight back and straight forward actually are.

Dual-shock all the way... although I would totally use a PC equivalent of a wavebird if ever given the option.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 13:45 descender

PJHF I used the arrow keys for aloooong time with a similar setup. Probably from DOOM until HL2-ish, because my hands are large and dextrous enough to reach all of the keys around the arrows (ctrl, shift, alt, enter, \, /, home, end, pgup, pgdn, ins, del, and the entire left side of the numpad are all in reach and generally enough keys to make anything work.

I don't remember why or when I switched to WASD but it was probably due to some binding issue in a game with too many buttons.

EDIT: Also... invert 4 life. I picture myself with my hand on top of the persons head that I am controlling. If you wanted him to look up you'd have to pull back on his head. Makes tons more sense than pushing forward IMO.

EDIT 2: Having RMB to run seems like pressing a gas pedal to me, and I would find myself forgetting to let go of it during panic situations. It feels much more natural to have all of the cardinal movement keys right next to each other, and have all of your movement panic done in one hand, while your aim panic is done with the other.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2014, 13:56.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 13:37 descender

How does lifting your thumb to spin the ball after you've rolled it as far as you can with one finger differ in any way from picking up your mouse, other than that you aren't actually letting go of the mouse in the process... actually making even that process more accurate with a mouse too? Unless you play with super low sensitivities or on a cramped desk, picking up the mouse is not really an issue at all. Some laser mice can be simply tilted to raise the sensor away from the surface, lifting the mouse doesn't even need to happen.

Obviously controller of choice is all about what you have practiced on, and if humans have proven anything it's that they can learn to excel at nearly anything through habit... but there are many physical reasons why a mouse is the most accurate way to control an FPS.

723 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo