Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 1042 (Pro)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight NVIDIA GameWorks Trailer
13. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight NVIDIA GameWorks Trailer Jun 8, 2015, 15:28 descender

I'm not complaining about implementing new technology in PC games... only that they are using this GameWorks program (like they used phsyx and other programs in the past) to fragment PC gaming further. I was really commenting on the absurdity that they are pushing a new tech like this again in a WB game when they haven't really updated the increasingly stale gameplay since the first game.... and the absurdity of people's hardware purchasing decisions... I guess that wasn't clear and then my response to CJ is tangential.

I'm all about choices and new technologies, but the way nVidia has been going about it lately seems wrong to me. That's all. You guys can put your pitchforks away now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 15:09 descender

You just can't make a post without an unnecessary insult can you Krovven. So sad.

Whether the last game developed for x360 or ps3 is today or next year it doesn't matter, there will be an end of line as I said and that end is near.

I didn't send you a memo about plugging in your old consoles because it isn't really relevant. The life of your old purchases are directly tied to the life of the hardware of that console. What do you do when that old console stops working? None of your games work anymore or you have to buy another (likely used) console to play them. You find that to be an acceptable alternative to having your entire Steam library available to run on any PC forever? Re-buying old hardware or keeping 5 defunct consoles plugged in to your TV is the way you want to access these games?

News Comments > Indie Developers on Steam Refunds
37. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 14:28 descender

This indie dev chatter falls on deaf ears with me. If they are so worried about getting scammed by people with this refund system... maybe they need to rethink their own investment in their product and not spend so much time developing something that can be fully realized and experienced by a consumer in the first 2 hours. The scammers will be flagged and kicked to the curb in short time regardless, so I don't care or worry about them at all.

If the refund policy stops one shoe-string budget developer from releasing one half-assed game on Steam I think it's worth the trouble. I could get down with the restrictions suggested by others here based on the cost of the game (the original launch price of the game or the total estimated content)... but really these developers need to be held to some sort of standard that Greenlight failed to do and if this makes them take a step back and think twice about releasing some short $5 game then good. Less clutter on steam for the rest of us.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2015, 14:19 descender

One of the biggest complaints about last nights episode (regarding stannis) was a change to the story that GRRM himself had requested they implement in the show. Lots of the changes in the show have been at his request or at the least done with his approval and input. All of these changes were made with the entire plotline of the TV series in mind, not just the plot up the the point where the books end.

is it that crazy to think that in the decades since he started writing the series he may have had some hindsight to think back on things he wished he wrote differently? I think that is a lot of what we are seeing.

I don't think things are hasty or rushed, I think the book readers are just having a hard time dealing with the adjusted story and timeline the show is using. They aren't trying to recreate the exact same story from the books anymore and people aren't understanding or accepting that.

5. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight NVIDIA GameWorks Trailer Jun 8, 2015, 14:07 descender

These Arkham games have always been a bit of a showcase for new nVidia tech... you think that has been because of the good graciousness of the developer? LOL.

This is not a developer talking advantage of or using the already existing and superior hardware to improve performance on PC (which is what we want), this is nVidia adding more graphical "trinkets" to push sales of unnecessary new video cards. Just like with the Hairworks thing in W3.

It's all bullshit, because once you turn off what the latest "trinket" is in these new games (like hairworks) they suddenly run perfectly smooth on 3-4 generation old video cards (in my HTPC my gtx580 is still kicking ass and taking names). The number of people here that have run out to buy GTX970's or similar new cards just because of a developer pushing one new graphical feature (or a poorly optimized port) is kind of absurd.

3. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight NVIDIA GameWorks Trailer Jun 8, 2015, 13:47 descender

They should just rename this nVIDIA Clutterworks. Or just skip right over that and go to ClusterFucks.

Adding shit no one wanted to games that didn't need it on hardware that can't run it. Great! Unless they come up with a new combat tactic other than "press the counter button" I don't think I'll be buying this... I'm pretty burned out on this fighting system after AC/Shadow of Mordor.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2015, 13:41 descender

GoT episode reviews written by people that can't separate the books from the show are really hard to read. The show is now getting criticism for bad writing because the story didn't go thay people wanted it to? :p

Spoilers:
Stannis has consistently throughout the show shown himself to be heartless and cruel. He murdered his own brother, he was burning other family members alive on Dragonstone... he has turned on basically everyone else at the request of Melisandre so far... he has verbally announced how desperate and painted into a corner his situation is... why was anyone surprised at all with this?

The overall theme of the show... the corruption of power and those who seek it... is alive and well.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 13:04 descender

None of those counter-arguments make any sense.

It doesn't matter how many games there are for PS3 or XB360, they aren't making any new ones and they aren't updating that library anymore. Both of their game libraries are now now stale. If you want new xbox/PS games you have to buy a new console and lose compatibility with all of your old game purchases.

I guess I should have added that one in there, which one of these consoles won't cut you off from your library and make you repurchase new versions of the games you already paid for when updated hardware is released? Steambox.

3rd party games meaning, games not natively supported by the system. Xbox and PS absolutely do not let you install anything that is not an xbox or a ps game. SteamBox can have games installed on it not specifically supported by SteamOS.

Upgrading? You are still talking about upgrading a defunct console that no new games will be developed for within the next few months... so who cares if you can increase the hard drive size, you can't upgrade it to increase the performance in any way whatsoever.

Good try though? I don't know... not really. There are shortcomings to the SteamOS/SteamBox but none of the real ones are actually listed in this article.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2015, 13:09.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 12:41 descender

This entire article is really stupid. There are literally thousands of SteamOS compatible games on Steam right now. Of the 10 "most played" games on Steam, 7 of them are SteamOS compatible.

What console has a library of over a thousand games that is still constantly being expanded and updated?
What console has the ability to install 3rd party games?
What console has the ability to be upgraded in the event that they are not powerful enough to run SteamVR hardware?
What console lets you easily share your library with your friends/family without losing control of your physical copies of games?

Only the SteamBox.

Does it have flaws? Sure. Is version 1 of the SteamBox going to win the console war? of course not. Is it the best/only possibility we have for breaking down the walled-gardens of Sony and Microsoft and ending the disparity between PC and console games? Yes, absolutely. if only for that last reason alone people should be championing and hoping for the success of this venture.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2015, 12:47.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patched
5. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched Jun 5, 2015, 16:11 descender

Deploys the Bovine Defense Force Initiative.

THIS is how you patch an exploit... lol

I wonder where people are missing money along the way, there seems to be people with tons of it or none at all. Maybe just selling to all the wrong vendors? I haven't had any troubles with cash.

News Comments > Steam Controller Video
20. Re: Steam Controller Video Jun 5, 2015, 14:54 descender

Luke can be pretty safely ignored :p

There is essentially no difference between 100MBit and 1GBit wired connections when it comes to latency.

It is curious, but I guess 12.5MB/sec from the 100MBit wire is enough to stream the 1080p content in surround sound? I wouldn't have thought so judging by the bitrates of Bluray video.

They also have to be able to release a SteamLink2 next year :p Now with 1GB ethernet for 4K streaming!

EDIT: on-topic note... I am extremely excited for these new controllers and can't wait to play with one. I see no reason for anyone to poopoo the trackpads without having played with them... I would have preferred the original design without the analog stick and buttons but unfortunately the public's lack of imagination strikes again.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 5, 2015, 14:33 descender

Congress has been delaying and basically flat out ignoring an new Cybersecurity bill for at least 3 years, but all you can come up with is "shakeyfist obama shakeyfist". How incredibly droll.

As far as this "data breach" is concerned... the FBI tried to blame the last big breach on North korea and it turned out to be nothing but propaganda and lies. I don't believe a bit of this report at face value and no reasonable person should either.

What I do believe is that there is no data on any computer anywhere that is safe or secure in any way.

News Comments > Steam Machine Preorders
6. Re: Steam Machine Preorders Jun 4, 2015, 13:57 descender

I think the concept of these machines is kind of lost on some people around here, and there is a severe lack of imagination when it comes to their application. If you are already a PC gamer... you are not their target audience in any way. Basically if you are reading this on this website... they are not trying to sell you a Steam Machine so stop trying to figure out how to wedge it into your gaming-sphere or budget. A standalone PC is always, always, always.... always going to give you a more complete experience. They are basically only marketing this to soccer moms and possible console converts.

People get so braindead over the gamepad input too, it's so bizarre. All you have to do is plug in a KB+M to the Steam Machine... it's a computer.

9. Re: Camera quality Jun 3, 2015, 09:04 descender

Not really just an iPhone issue (for once), most smartphones have no optical zoom ability.

No zoom and no flash are the first two steps towards taking better cell phone pictures.

News Comments > Fallout Countdown
20. Re: Fallout Countdown Jun 2, 2015, 15:15 descender

JayDeath wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:33:
We need a new engine.

FFS yes, this.

Additionally, they need to add a 2-4 player co-op mode and stop level scaling the entire damn world.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2015, 17:57 descender

I think it's more proof of concept than "hey, guys... we really need to design a cheetah bot". Demonstrating that it can identify and avoid obstacles without slowing down is... a feature. I suppose :p This (and BigDog) are all about getting supplies to/from inaccessible areas and lightening the burden on soldiers.

They are busy building the hardware that the future AI needs to take control of the world. Leave them alone, it's totally fine. /s

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2015, 16:29 descender

Many (most?) technological breakthroughs trickle down from old military tech/R&D anyway. The Commercial/Residential applications and development don't come until later. I don't think it's necessarily that they want to develop things for the military... but that funding has to come from somewhere and the military basically gets a blank check. Could you imagine trying to raise millions of dollars in funding for R&D on a nanny-bot?  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch Plans
18. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch Plans Jun 1, 2015, 13:23 descender

Well... woops. I had assumed people were mis-speaking when they referred to the stuttering scenes as the "pre-rendered" ones since it obviously doesn't make much sense for them to do that. I don't notice it when I'm playing, although I made a ton of ini tweaks prior to starting that maybe eliminated it before I ever saw the stutter to begin with and I also play on my TV.

Check Visuals.ini

[Visuals]
Gamma=1
MovieFramerate=60.0
MovieUbersampling=false

Add the lines if you are missing them.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch Plans
14. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch Plans Jun 1, 2015, 12:31 descender

Ok, small peeve and I'll crawl back in my hole....

If the cutscenes were "pre-rendered" then there wouldn't be any performance issues... it would basically just be playing a video file at that point. This would deliver a better product IMO... but pre-rendered scenes aren't used anymore because of storage limits.

Most likely TW3 cutscenes are either frame-locked at 30FPS (DA:I and others have done this recently), or simply enabling too many unwanted eye-candy features when they are running. TW2 had options for cutscene rendering separate from the game itself, would be nice to see those return.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
73. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC May 30, 2015, 09:15 descender

CDPR have completely fallen to the dark side

Witcher 2 had a respec in a quest line IIRC. You are the worst kind of troll

1042 Comments. 53 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo