Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 1131 (Pro)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com & Windows 10
12. Re: GOG.com & Windows 10 Jul 29, 2015, 14:05 descender

GOG implements DOSBox where needed and... doesn't really do much else. GOG can't magically patch games it doesn't own the source code to and any real patches still have to come from the developer... just like on Steam.

The entire GOG business model IS compatibility, so obviously they are more publicly involved with making sure every single item in their store runs the way it claims to. Ultimately this responsibility still falls to the developers that decide to sell their old games. Balming Valve for this is shortsighted.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GOG.com & Windows 10
5. Re: GOG.com & Windows 10 Jul 29, 2015, 12:41 descender

Gotta agree with Krovven here... I originally read this as "we didn't actually have to do anything to make 85% of our library work in Windows 10".

From what I've experienced in the Tech Preview there are basically zero compatibility issues to be had in the first place. Anything that already worked in 7 or 8 seemingly runs fine in 10. Every game I ran through Steam worked, but I suppose I didn't test enough "really old" games to be sure.

In games I was CPU bound in (GTA5, planetside 2, BF4) I have seen a pretty decent increase in performance. Can't wait to get home and reinstall fresh.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jul 24, 2015, 16:08 descender

I bet that guy leads the league in HBP.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jul 24, 2015, 16:03 descender

Seriously, that guys review style is fucking awful. I just tried to watch a few others and they are not any better whether he seemingly likes the movie or not.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2015, 19:37 descender

I love a good conspiracy when I see one, but the moon landing stuff is not really that convincing. The misquoted JFK speech about communism isn't a good place to start either.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2015, 18:37 descender

I'm pretty certain that if they would have ran it and failed no one would have said "they should have ran a play less likely to succeed instead!"

Run with Lynch, fake to Lynch and roll out wilson, fake to Lynch and pass outside... these were all better options than throw a slant SHORT of the goalline right where all the linebackers are standing.

It couldn't have possibly been more "the wrong call" unless they punted it.

ALso... The tweet/troll by EA is hilarious.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2015, 18:27 descender

We can't even put a man on the moon (except in a film studio)

Warning, sharks have been jumped. At least your SJW rants aren't the craziest thing you've posted on here anymore.

News Comments > Hearthstone Grand Tournament Expansion Next Month
14. Re: Hearthstone Grand Tournament Expansion Next Month Jul 23, 2015, 18:24 descender

It's not really a "price tag" as much as it is a discounted bundle for the launch. All you actually get for the $50 is 50 random new packs, not the entire set of new cards. Needless to say... I kind of doubt many people will be buying that but the $25 discount for a whale might be worth it.  

News Comments > Smedley Leaves Daybreak
10. Re: Smedley Leaves Daybreak Jul 23, 2015, 14:21 descender

Who could ever forget the trains in the Estate of Unrest?

I could forget them... but now you'll be getting a bill from my therapist.

Could you imagine a game releasing some content like the original Plane of Fear? That essentially took 3 straight days to break in and clear? lol...

12. Re: Hearthstone Grand Tournament Expansion Next Month Jul 23, 2015, 14:16 descender

That's essentially what I was saying. The only "advantage" you can gain by spending money is saving time. It won't help you know how to create a deck, it won't help you play the deck, it won't help you win any individual matchup like a stat/skill bonus would... and the handful of wins you might initially get from that purchase will dry up very quickly as you move into the appropriate ranked tier for your new deck. Then you will still be outclassed by better players and the money you spent building the deck is basically irrelevant.

If you could directly purchase the cards that you want it would be harder to argue against, but you can't. You can still only buy a random chance at cards (with the hope that you eventually have enough dust to build the one you really wanted). It's a convoluted enough path that the money spent doesn't directly translate into "winning the game".

I agree that Tavern Brawl is pretty cool, I hope they expand on that because the more cards they keep adding... the harder time I have conceptualizing/creating effective decks for ranked play. I still play 90% of my games in arena so my card collection is completely irrelevant to most of the time I spend playing the game anyway.

10. Re: Hearthstone Grand Tournament Expansion Next Month Jul 23, 2015, 10:37 descender

The only way Hearthstone could ever be "pay to win" is if they let you buy mana boosts or cards no one else has free access to, which is not the case. "Pay to not spend 1000 hours earning gold for packs of cards" is very different. All you can buy is convenience, you can't even purchase the specific cards you want directly.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2015, 10:26 descender

Blue, I had to move my smoker out of the sun last summer... maybe that can help you too. In the sun it was sitting at 150+ degrees while off on a sunny afternoon and that made keeping the temp low nearly impossible. It was probably because my smoker is a cheap POS but... worth a shot.  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Leoric Released
9. Re: Heroes of the Storm Leoric Released Jul 22, 2015, 16:27 descender

Like most "good" F2P games... money in HOTS is exchanged for play/grind time, not stats or advantages.

I've spent exactly $0 between LoL and HotS and I have roughly 3/4 of the characters unlocked in each game. Just because something CAN be purchased doesn't mean it has to be.

F2P games are not inherently evil, there seem to be a large contingent of posters that simply won't accept that and assume the worst.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
29. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 16:13 descender

Believe it or not, there are a LOT of games on Steam that don't actually use ANY DRM to run. This list is basically every game available on Steam (probably outdated though) that doesn't use the Steam CEG or a third party DRM like uPlay/etc.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 22, 2015, 13:07 descender

Currently playing: FarCry 4, Counter Strike Go, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Heroes of the Storm Beta, Battlefield 4, Gauntlet, Red Faction Guerrilla, BioShock Infinity, Thief, Shadows of Mordor

Someone needs to get laid, not sure who

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 21, 2015, 09:46 descender

Adultery is illegal in more than 20 states. The list of states is bizarre too, it's not just red states. Penalties range from a $10 fine to felony life imprisonment. Crazy, but that is why this will matter to some people.

I think their TV commercial is fantastic. The song gets stuck in my head for hours.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
20. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 17, 2015, 15:26 descender

Hey there...

isn't worth the effort of typing up a large response. Enjoy your garage sale next year

Don't start with the "rude bullshit" and you won't be treated in kind. I think you're just cranky because you know how hollow your stance on this is.

18. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 17, 2015, 15:13 descender

Yeah, you could have just not said anything about your stupid idea to blindly ignore sale prices... saved us the trouble. I wasn't even responding to you in the first place.  

16. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 17, 2015, 14:59 descender

Enjoy... I don't know... buying things at full price? /boggle

This mentality that Amazon somehow "owed you" a better sale is incredibly stupid.

14. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 17, 2015, 14:38 descender

Most of those deals sold out pretty quickly so someone was buying them. The sour grapes come from multiple angles, the "deal i wanted sold out" crowd and "didn't see the sale I wanted" crowd (and let's throw in the "didn't even actually check the lightning deals but bitched about it anyway" crowd for good measure) have combined to make the sale seem like it was bad in the public eye. It wasn't. It was a monumental success in the eyes of the only party that matters, Amazon. They convinced people to spend x-mas level money on a random day in July... that's damn impressive.

I got a few things I've been waiting on purchasing just like any other sale... so I just don't get the complaints at all. There was no expectation or announcement for anything in particular to be on sale for a particular price... so how could one be disappointed... ? Boo freaking hoo. Given the choice between "Prime Day" and no sales what-so-ever... wait, how is this even a choice?

The same shit went on after the Steam sale this year. So now unless the thing we wanted goes on sale for the price we wanted the sale is a "failure"? If you already own the things that are going on sale, maybe the sale wasn't for you?

1131 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo