Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 979 (Graduate)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
51. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2015, 18:10 descender

no one cares about this topic except the people who care about it

There certainly some seem to be some sort of self-reinforcing delusion involved with this entire fiasco.

Let me know when we get to the part where any of this is relevant to the real world.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
53. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 18:00 descender

Did anyone even bother reading the Wired article that clearly explains why people can see it as different colors? It also explains why one person might see it as different colors at different times.

The white balance of the image is off, so your brain has trouble separating the reflecting light from the illuminating light. This is how your brain figures out colors.

The picture of it that looks ambiguous was simply taken with bad white balance settings, and then you are viewing it with completely different white balance settings. Your brain simply doesn't know how to interpret it.

It's extremely likely people who only see it as blue/black in this image have their color temp set "too blue" on their monitor. Blue != white.

The dress is in fact not white, so... come on brain!

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2015, 18:08.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 13:49 descender

http://xkcd.com/1492/

White balance illusions

http://www.colorbasics.com/Optical-Illusions/

It doesn't really matter what anyone thinks it looks like, we're all wrong. Your brain needs to be able to isolate colors from their surroundings to be able to identify them properly.

News Comments > New Guild Wars 2 Cameras to Include First-Person
22. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Cameras to Include First-Person Feb 26, 2015, 18:19 descender

it's probably going to outlast the longest MMO I ever played, which was Asheron's Call for 3 years.

Yeah, but have you ever sucked dick for coke?

Lots of people would love to have their longest MMO problem only be 3 years long

42. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2015, 17:56 descender

Oh my god, the gubberment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMfGmCLQRic

Seriously though, half of these things are not even true. Public services tend to work better when you don't completely gut the funding for them. The post office is the perfect example. The cost of a stamp isn't actually enough to pay for the mail delivery, so the price has to go up or the delivery cost has to be subsidized. It can't be both ways... and yet they seem to be intent on stopping either from happening.

What an extremely typical Republican argument... "Hey! That thing we won't let you properly fund doesn't work right!" /rabble!

I don't really understand how things like war on terror/drugs relate to regulation of a public utility in any way.

Soooo many of the problems with "the government" fall back on the republican party blindly obstructing and gutting everything it attempts to accomplish. But hey, let's pretend like corporations have anyone's best interests in mind except their own, they wouldn't screw over the little guy right? RIGHT?!

"The government" is like looking into an ugly mirror of society. It's people, it's you, me, your neighbor... the same people that run the corporations you are so endeared to.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
7. Re: Hardware Reviews Feb 25, 2015, 16:15 descender

I actually use the G430 from the review. Got it on sale on Amazon over the holidays for like $20. Super light and comfy over long sessions, and i don't give two shits about sound leakage :p

I don't use the 7.1 USB dongle though. I hook straight up to the front panel from my xFI titanium card and use Creative's CMSS3D feature to emulate surround sound. This sounds infinitely better than the USB sound card the headphones came with.

I usually turn it flat and hang the headphones off the back/top of my LCD monitor by the ear-cups... effectively turning them into a small speaker set while I'm not wearing them. My main speaker set is also hooked up to my HT receiver, so sometimes I want to hear both.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Battlefield Hardline
25. Re: Gone Gold - Battlefield Hardline Feb 25, 2015, 15:17 descender

I honestly thought that video was a joke and they were playing some old shit racing game. This game looks fucking terrible.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Released
25. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Released Feb 25, 2015, 14:00 descender

Well he seemed to be implying that he was only playing the Main story (gold icon) quests, which is why I said that he was skipping "fucktons" of content :p OK, fucktons was probably a bit of an exaggeration, but I understand your point and I think we are on the same page now.

go from point A to B and kill shit by bow (ranged), sword (melee) or dagger (stealth).

That basically describes... every RPG ever? Every game ever? It's not really a good practice to devolve your hobbies into their simplest form... lest you realize how poorly you have actually been entertaining yourself :p Most games are pretty piss-poor forms of entertainment if you look at it that critically.

I thought the weapon side-quests were fairly entertaining and varied enough that I didn't feel like I was doing the same thing over and over at all. Especially the stealth ones. Maybe it's just the order I was doing things in split it up better... who knows. The slave quests were definitely repetitive, and I doubt i'll finish all of them on my playthrough (I'm at about 70% right now).

Could it use more content? Probably. For a sandbox/open world type game it does fall a bit on the short side... but we are still talking about 20+ hours of main/side quest content here... so it's really hard for me to say that isn't "enough" when compared to most other $60 games.

22. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Released Feb 25, 2015, 10:54 descender

SMH.... You can't possibly believe that rant applies to this discussion. SoM doesn't have as much content as Skyrim? That's your takeaway from my post? LOL... Not a single person is making an arguement otherwise.

It's called an example, react less and think more.

There is a difference between main quests, side quests... and just wandering around killing random things. What you seem to be considering "random killing" time in Skyrim is not really, they are simply side-quests yuo have stumbled upon without Fisher-Price quest markers. Would you feel better about the length of content in SoM if the Sword/Bow/Dagger quests didn't have map markers, and you had to find them in the game world on your own? Doubtful.

The main+side quests in SoM take ~15-20 hours to play through, not the 5 hours harlock claims. He is very obviously skipping over ALL of the side-quests in SoM if he really thinks it's that short.

Are there more side-quests to do in Sykrim? Yes, of course.
Is that relevant to this discussion of how much content is in SoM? Not really...

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Trailer & Mod Details
5. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Trailer & Mod Details Feb 24, 2015, 19:21 descender

Why must all trailers sound like my speakers are blown? Fuck you Hans Zimmer and your stupid noise!  

16. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Released Feb 24, 2015, 19:12 descender

I think you simply don't understand how to play sandbox games.

Skyrim can be beaten in an hour. GTA5 can be beaten in 6 hours. The main goal of these games is to play and explore them though, not simply rush to the end with the least effort possible.

A normal person would spend dozens if not hundreds of hours playing and beating these games... even though there is merely "xyz hours worth of story content". Shadow of Mordor is basically no different. You are willfully and purposely skipping over fucktons of content simply because it doesn't have a quest marker attached to it.

14. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Released Feb 24, 2015, 18:38 descender

5 hours of straight up story, and an untold number of hours of sandbox play?

It's not short. It's you.

EDIT: In fact, the best reference I can find for a quick run through the story is approximately 9 hours. So... yeah. It's you.
http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=18006

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2015, 18:45.

9. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Released Feb 24, 2015, 15:20 descender

How do you find it short? Easy, yes... short? Really? Are you just running straight to the quest markers and fast-travelling everywhere without ever dying?

It's a sandbox game so... you are usually responsible for how much time and enjoyment you get out of it based on how you choose to play. If you skip over all of the collectibles and warp around the game world instantaneously... then complain about the length of the game, well... that's just a special brand of stupid.

I think I probably put ~15 hours into just the first map before moving on to the second.

Game difficulty was a major public complaint before I started playing so I have adjusted my play style accordingly. I refuse to fast travel unless I am advancing time (and I actually advance time more often than i need to bulk up the uruks). I haven't purchased a single health/focus or arrow upgrade and I skipped over a few of the more overpowered skill unlocks (Crit II, blade master, double charge, etc). I also haven't unlocked the "super move" for each weapon either, as they just seem ridiculously unnecessary. I also won't use any immunity runes (ex. poison).

I assume that's where my extra playtime is going but... it's not like I'm dying repeatedly or wasting a lot of time wandering into unneeded fights. I collect the white things in each area first, then do the weapon challenges, then clear the slave riots. Once I did all of that I pushed the story markers to get to the second map. Now I'm basically doing the same thing there... I think my total playtime is upwards of 40 hours total at this point.

News Comments > DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed
2. Re: DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed Feb 18, 2015, 19:01 descender

Who gives a rats if I have to buy a new card or operating system to get access to it?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 18, 2015, 11:13 descender

All of these people that get nailed for name changes are posting publicly in comments on websites and such... and then getting reported. Unless you post things as "public" it's pretty unlikely that any of your actual friends are going to report your facebook name.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2015, 11:11 descender

Penny Arcade nailed this "The Order" nonsense right to the wall.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/02/18/false-witness

News Comments > Crusader Kings II Free Week
6. Re: Free week. Feb 18, 2015, 09:19 descender

An entire week is a little out of character, they usually just do free weekends.  

News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
40. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Feb 18, 2015, 09:13 descender

I hope some of you guys know that your 5.1 and 7.1 headphones (expect for extremely few models with discrete drivers) are simply USB sound cards emulating surround in your regular stereo headphones. Onboard and USB sound cards use CPU cycles to handle your 3D audio decoding, slowing down your gaming experience (especially in games that handle upwards of 64 simultaneous 'voices').

This fake 3D surround is handled infinitely better by almost any discrete sound card (no, not the audigyFX riser that came with your motherboard either).

If you are having driver or disappearing problems with a Creative card, do yourself a favor and start using the DanielK drivers. http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/

The blind rage towards Creative labs cards is kind of funny. /rabble rabble

Most modern game engines do amazing things with 3D positional audio once you have a true 5.1+ setup. To me... Playing a game like CS or Left4Dead without discrete rear and center channels is like walking around with your fingers in your ears. The advantages of being able to accurately place audio are incredible over the experience you get from headphones.

News Comments > Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought
17. Re: Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought Feb 17, 2015, 13:09 descender

You can't simply take everything out to it's cynical limit and assume that is where the world operates.

Who in their right mind would ever buy drugs? You're just going to literally light your money on fire! Oh, but I get to enjoy myself for a while...
Who in their right mind would ever buy food? You're just going to shit it out later! Oh, but I get to stay alive in the meantime...

Who in their right mind is going to buy games with DRM, online or otherwise? It's called disposable income... people do far dumber shit with money than buy a skin in an online game.

You misunderstood Cutter's premise though... He's not talking about consumers, he's talking about the developers. What developer would sign up for this... to pay some % of their profits just to essentially rent a stale IP from Square Enix? Obviously idiot consumers will fund and pay for anything... but that's not really where the crux of this move by SE is.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2015, 12:26 descender

Everything in life doesn't need to be left to the whims and shortfalls of capitalism. The consumer is hardly ever the beneficiary of market forces in the first place, and while the general level of quality of service may improve over time... at any given time you are always being given the least possible service for your dollar that they can get away with.

It's not as if there is real competition for "internet access" these days anyway. You basically have 2 or 3 choices depending on where you live... 1 cable, maybe 1 fiber and various satellite options which are basically crapola anyway? Stop pretending that a free-market even exists when it comes to internet access. There was certainly more of a "market" during dial-up days than there is now.

Internet infrastructure should be handled as a public utility. There is almost no arguement for it to be handled otherwise anymore. The companies that currently "pretend" to compete for your dollars can then "actually" compete to offer you real services like streaming music/video and premium content.

The overall disdain for public utilities and services... I will never understand. Come be a part of society. It's better.

979 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo