Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 1461 (Pro)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 25, 2016, 15:11 descender

I get the same on FIOS... I pay for 50/50 but get 63/60 (full 7.5MB/sec on steam) and used to get higher than rated speeds on Cablevision as well... I imagine it has a lot to do with your proximity to a major city as the infrastructure will be considerably better.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
35. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 25, 2016, 15:01 descender

I'm not sure what you could possibly expect from it that it didn't deliver.

Least compelling combat system in an RPG... ever?

I could go into much greater detail as to my issues with ME3's crap gameplay but no one really wants to read that. Mass Effect was designed and marketed as an RPG, but every subsequent release devolved it more into a "cover shooter with powers", it was incredibly disappointing. Only the story was compelling enough to keep me playing ME3, without it there is absolutely no way I'd have played more than 5 hours of that shit (i'm sure gears of war dudebros loved it though)... but my choices were miss the entire story or put up with shitty gameplay. So, I put up with it.

This idea that you can arbitrarily assign a number of hours to determining if a game is enjoyable or not is incredibly narrowminded. Some games are just fine up until a certain point that either ruins the experience or reveals all of it's shallow and poorly designed nature. There is no erasing the time you already spent getting to that point.

It's extremely arrogant for you guys to tell someone else when they should have reached that point of disgust and stopped playing.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2016, 15:08.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
33. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 25, 2016, 13:04 descender

I was very done with Mass Effect gameplay halfway through the second game, and they did absolutely nothing to improve on it in the third game. The ME combat in 2/3 bored me to tears. So... It is possible to play a full 40+hour game and not actually enjoy doing it. The 120+ hours already invested in 1+2's story were the only reason I kept playing 3. The only reason I got through 3 was literally... to see how shitty the ending was that everyone kept talking about. Next time I'll just google up a synopsis, what a waste of time.

The entire Mass Effect series can be summed up for me as great 'stories' with a shitty ending... and awful, terrible gameplay.

I've been playing through KOTOR2 since SW:TFA came out and it's incredible how much better a proper RPG is.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2016, 09:46 descender

Cheers

That Broncos Patriots game was great. I'll be firmly rooting for Peyton to ride off into the sunset with a victory, but I have a feeling this Carolina team is just too good.

News Comments > Into the Black
16. Re: Into the Black Jan 22, 2016, 10:39 descender

Lucas wrote the worst version of A New Hope and had to bring in Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz to fix it so it was even feasible as a screenplay. What he wrote and what they released are virtually unrecognizable. He had even less to do with Empire and Jedi.

Abrams didn't write nearly as much of TFA as you are seemingly dead-set on blaming him for (and Lucas was on-set for the beginning of production anyway). He co-wrote TFA with Lawrence Kasdan, who is responsible for writing Empire and Return of the Jedi. They didn't even start this from scratch, it was a re-write of an existing script they were handed by the studio.

You can bash TFA all you want just... you know... make sense when you do it :p

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 20, 2016, 08:40 descender

Do you even understand the difference?

I don't, I'd love to hear the explanation on why spying on one device is OK but not the other.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2016, 12:11 descender

Any score is now achievable (4 points would just be 2 safeties). You can even score 1 point now on a 2pt conversion run back for a TD, but you can't technically have a score lower than either 2-2 or 6-1 (because the 1 requires a TD be scored first). 7-1 sticks out as an impossible score as well.

I did laugh when I saw the 4 tie-breaker, I figured he just missed the box.

I don't like my chances to close out the pool at all. I only picked Denver because I'm a Jets fan and couldn't willfully put NE in the superbowl. Both games this weekend should continue to impress, good luck everyone.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2016, 12:27.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2016, 11:13 descender

Carolina/Arizona will be the first time Heisman winning QBs have ever faced each other in the playoffs  

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
8. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 16, 2016, 12:26 descender

But you guys only want them to have to upgrade the version you are using, right? Not the 5 other versions before yours too?

Windows 7 will be 8 years old at that point? Do you really think they are going to support it forever just because you don't like their new version?

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Matchmaking Changes
14. Re: Heroes of the Storm Matchmaking Changes Jan 15, 2016, 18:05 descender

A large skill barrier to entry is probably not in their best interests if they want people to purchase the game upfront. Everyone already knows why they do or do not like to play MOBA games and DOTA or LoL basically accommodate most desires for hardcore MOBA... What Blizzard needed to create was an excuse for the people who have already stopped playing the more popular ones to return to theirs... and they nailed it.

A year ago yesterday HotS just started closed beta so... give it a minute. When LoL released, HoN was already immensely popular and LoL was laughed at as casual for not having the deny mechanic. Look how clinging to those hardcore mechanics worked out for HoN... I'd say Blizzard is doing exactly what they need to do to enter a saturated marketplace.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2016, 18:22.

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Game Reviews Jan 15, 2016, 16:18 descender

I've never owned a PC without an accompanying gamepad in 25 years.

I can understand UI complaints... but this "M+K only" obsession needs to die already. At the very least be cognizant of the fact that PC gamepads have existed for as long as PC's have, and pretending like they aren't a legitimate PC peripheral is just dumb, dumb, dumb.

Yeah, games should "support" mouse and keyboard controls... but the PC gamers around here really need to stop pretending like M+K is the best way to control every single game or that even owning a gamepad for your PC is weird in some way.

On the other hand, anyone that actually cares about analog FPS movement could have bought one of those sidecar keyboards by now.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 15, 2016, 15:38 descender

if your business is turning a higher profit than that you probably aren't paying your employees enough money. :p  

12. Re: Heroes of the Storm Matchmaking Changes Jan 15, 2016, 15:25 descender

I just don't like when tedious micromanagement and referential knowledge is misrepresented as "depth" or "skill". Massive swathes (I was going to put a made up percentage like 95%! there but decided against it lol) of DOTA2/LoL players build the same exact min/maxxed builds, the laning phases in ranked play usually go the same exact way (tediously boring, if they aren't then someone screwed up royally and the entire game is probably over) or are usually determined by a lag spike catching a player out of position rather than actual skill... and I quite enjoy how HotS has eliminated some forms of intra-team griefing/trolling by removing lasthit and spreading team XP.

I just don't buy into the fact that these are "deeper" games because of any of the features HotS is "missing". The only thing I would say makes them "deeper" games is the larger character pools, but that is really just another knowledge barrier (as is the item shop) more so than increasing the amount of skill required to play. OK. If there is one "skilled" thing that HotS lacks it's last hitting/denying (my least favorite parts of Dota since it's inception anyway), but that was really only to get a leg up on gold for the item shop. Now you have team objectives to focus on to provide you with those same advantages.

The physical skill required to play MOBA's was gained decades ago playing starcraft/diablo, the knowledge of how to play them properly is just a matter of time.

I'm... kind of excited for overwatch? I'm having trouble identifying what is actually brings to the FPS table for the money though... mostly it's that every time I look at it I just wonder why I would play it instead of TF2, which is already well balanced and doesn't cost $40+. Until they fix the insane UI spam I'm definitely not touching it.

The matchmaking complaints, while valid... are basically valid across any and all MOBA's. Single players showing up to a team sport are always and forever going to lose to teams with even the slightest bit of organization, the team comps IMO have little to do with it. Even with a perfect comp of 5 solo queue players you are probably still going to lose to a team of 5 players with a shitty team comp. The team builder mode in Lol showed how to solve the team comps problem anyway... they just haven't stolen that idea yet. :p I like how they are separating the solo/duo queue players with this patch, although I would have made it so that 1's and 2's can't get matched against a team of 4 players either.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2016, 15:36.

25. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 15, 2016, 15:07 descender

So now we're completely switching fields to the Hammonds? Sigh.

Yes, I think their arson sentences are completely justified because everything did is literally arson. They were trying to cover up illegal hunting by illegally lighting forest fires. If a firefighter had died putting out their illegal brush fire, would you be so sympathetic then? Of course not.

Arson on federal land carries a 5-year minimum sentence, but the Hammonds argued that was unconstitutional. A trial court sentenced both men to less than five years, but both the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court wound up sentencing the men to a full five-year sentence based on federal law. This is how law works. They appealed, they failed, they go to jail. There is absolutely no legitimate recourse for them here, which is why they aren't even contesting this new sentence anymore and will be reporting to jail as instructed.

The lands involved in the Hammonds case were not "stolen" from them by the government, so honestly... now your 3 posts make absolutely no sense when considered together. Are you actually whining about the arson charges or the Bureau of Land management not actually confiscating privately owned land? Or is there some third thing that you will come up with now? It's quite impossible to tell. In fact, please don't even bother to clarify... I just wanted you to know how little everything you have posted here correlates in any way. I'm not actually concerned if you don't understand the situation you keep blaming me for not understanding.

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 14, 2016, 19:04 descender

The lands that they are actually contesting in this protest were appropriated in exactly the way I described. No one made any of the claims that you just pulled out of your ass Jack. This has little to nothing to do with the Oregon Nature Preserve they've taken over or the Hammonds arson sentencing that they hijacked for the PR... you do know that at least, right? The Bundy's have tried and failed to latch onto and escalate several government protests since their own stand-off.

Squatting and illegally working public lands for decades doesn't give you the right to demand it for free at gunpoint. The only reason these Bundy nutjobs are crying about it is because the government came down on them for not paying what they owed. Normal ranchers actually want to pay into what is a beneficially subsidized system for them.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2016, 19:32.

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 14, 2016, 16:44 descender

These ranchers and others have owned these land for hundreds of years in some cases.

Why do people keep saying this? It isn't true at all.

Ranchers/farmers were bailed out by the government in the 30's and since then have been allowed to use the land anyway at a 90% discount. You could research it, but you chose to watch an unsourced youtube video instead.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2016, 17:01.

9. Re: Heroes of the Storm Matchmaking Changes Jan 14, 2016, 16:16 descender

so it's just a polished really dumbed down version of what's already out there.

Sometimes I feel like we get really dumbed down versions of the better trolls that are out there.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 14, 2016, 16:09 descender

annnd look more complete libtard bullshit.

You are free to explain the situation as you think you understand it, rather than just rambling like a lunatic.

One can only wonder why I hadn't ignored you already. Fixed!

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 14, 2016, 13:56 descender

The US Government has been breaking its own laws trying to railroad people off land where rich resources have been discovered.

The government isn't breaking any laws and they are not "running anyone off of their land" either.

The US government bought the land that these nutjobs are "occupying" from failing farms almost 100 years ago.

Their actual complaint is with the 40 year old Federal Land Policy and Management Act that stopped giving federally protected lands back to farmers. They are biting the hand that feeds them because they have simultaneously been allowed to use these federal lands for grazing for 10% of the cost of actually purchasing it.

This "stand-off" has practically nothing to do with the area they are occupying. They are trying to start a firefight with "the government" (which they purposely wanted women and children involved in) and turn themselves into martyrs, but no one actually cares.

5. Re: Heroes of the Storm Matchmaking Changes Jan 14, 2016, 12:13 descender

None of those things you want in the game are fun to do... so no thanks.

You can play other games with those mechanics. why does every single MOBA style game have to follow the same stupid rules? How many replicants of Warcraft3 DOTA do you need to be happy?

1461 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo