Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 787 (Graduate)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Released
9. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Released Feb 24, 2015, 15:20 descender

How do you find it short? Easy, yes... short? Really? Are you just running straight to the quest markers and fast-travelling everywhere without ever dying?

It's a sandbox game so... you are usually responsible for how much time and enjoyment you get out of it based on how you choose to play. If you skip over all of the collectibles and warp around the game world instantaneously... then complain about the length of the game, well... that's just a special brand of stupid.

I think I probably put ~15 hours into just the first map before moving on to the second.

Game difficulty was a major public complaint before I started playing so I have adjusted my play style accordingly. I refuse to fast travel unless I am advancing time (and I actually advance time more often than i need to bulk up the uruks). I haven't purchased a single health/focus or arrow upgrade and I skipped over a few of the more overpowered skill unlocks (Crit II, blade master, double charge, etc). I also haven't unlocked the "super move" for each weapon either, as they just seem ridiculously unnecessary. I also won't use any immunity runes (ex. poison).

I assume that's where my extra playtime is going but... it's not like I'm dying repeatedly or wasting a lot of time wandering into unneeded fights. I collect the white things in each area first, then do the weapon challenges, then clear the slave riots. Once I did all of that I pushed the story markers to get to the second map. Now I'm basically doing the same thing there... I think my total playtime is upwards of 40 hours total at this point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed
2. Re: DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed Feb 18, 2015, 19:01 descender

Who gives a rats if I have to buy a new card or operating system to get access to it?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 18, 2015, 11:13 descender

All of these people that get nailed for name changes are posting publicly in comments on websites and such... and then getting reported. Unless you post things as "public" it's pretty unlikely that any of your actual friends are going to report your facebook name.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2015, 11:11 descender

Penny Arcade nailed this "The Order" nonsense right to the wall.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/02/18/false-witness

News Comments > Crusader Kings II Free Week
6. Re: Free week. Feb 18, 2015, 09:19 descender

An entire week is a little out of character, they usually just do free weekends.  

News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
40. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Feb 18, 2015, 09:13 descender

I hope some of you guys know that your 5.1 and 7.1 headphones (expect for extremely few models with discrete drivers) are simply USB sound cards emulating surround in your regular stereo headphones. Onboard and USB sound cards use CPU cycles to handle your 3D audio decoding, slowing down your gaming experience (especially in games that handle upwards of 64 simultaneous 'voices').

This fake 3D surround is handled infinitely better by almost any discrete sound card (no, not the audigyFX riser that came with your motherboard either).

If you are having driver or disappearing problems with a Creative card, do yourself a favor and start using the DanielK drivers. http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/

The blind rage towards Creative labs cards is kind of funny. /rabble rabble

Most modern game engines do amazing things with 3D positional audio once you have a true 5.1+ setup. To me... Playing a game like CS or Left4Dead without discrete rear and center channels is like walking around with your fingers in your ears. The advantages of being able to accurately place audio are incredible over the experience you get from headphones.

News Comments > Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought
17. Re: Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought Feb 17, 2015, 13:09 descender

You can't simply take everything out to it's cynical limit and assume that is where the world operates.

Who in their right mind would ever buy drugs? You're just going to literally light your money on fire! Oh, but I get to enjoy myself for a while...
Who in their right mind would ever buy food? You're just going to shit it out later! Oh, but I get to stay alive in the meantime...

Who in their right mind is going to buy games with DRM, online or otherwise? It's called disposable income... people do far dumber shit with money than buy a skin in an online game.

You misunderstood Cutter's premise though... He's not talking about consumers, he's talking about the developers. What developer would sign up for this... to pay some % of their profits just to essentially rent a stale IP from Square Enix? Obviously idiot consumers will fund and pay for anything... but that's not really where the crux of this move by SE is.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2015, 12:26 descender

Everything in life doesn't need to be left to the whims and shortfalls of capitalism. The consumer is hardly ever the beneficiary of market forces in the first place, and while the general level of quality of service may improve over time... at any given time you are always being given the least possible service for your dollar that they can get away with.

It's not as if there is real competition for "internet access" these days anyway. You basically have 2 or 3 choices depending on where you live... 1 cable, maybe 1 fiber and various satellite options which are basically crapola anyway? Stop pretending that a free-market even exists when it comes to internet access. There was certainly more of a "market" during dial-up days than there is now.

Internet infrastructure should be handled as a public utility. There is almost no arguement for it to be handled otherwise anymore. The companies that currently "pretend" to compete for your dollars can then "actually" compete to offer you real services like streaming music/video and premium content.

The overall disdain for public utilities and services... I will never understand. Come be a part of society. It's better.

News Comments > Steam & Dota 2 Records
27. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 17, 2015, 10:33 descender

Hot damn, there is so much stupid in this thread.

Just because you have to click a button 50,000 times in 10 minutes doesn't make a MOBA a higher "skilled" game to play than an FPS. Trying to equate the physical or mental complexity between 2 completely different genre's is an exercise in futility... but if anything... operating in 3D space is infinitely more "complex" than anything you'll find in any 2D games... which is essentially what MOBA's are.

Think of having to try to teach these games to your grandmother. You could easily get her up and running in a MOBA... the interface and controls are quite simple to use. Right click on this, right click on that... she can play it but she'd be terrible. Now sit her down in front of a PC FPS. Try to explain WASD and mouselook, try to get her to aim at something and shoot it. Now stop laughing. Odds are that she hasn't moved very far in a discernable direction. This is because the "skilled" barrier of entry is extremely high with FPS and lower in MOBA/RTS. The "knowledge" barrier of entry in both genre's is very high and can't reliably be compared.

A simple exercise like this makes it pretty obvious to me that while the depth of knowledge between genre's is probably very similar in complexity... there a higher "skilled" barrier of entry to FPS since it requires more coordination to play it. There is no real reason that the "knowledge" barrier would be any lower or less complex (I think people are less inclined to accept failure in MOBA compared to FPS... probably because on the surface you aren't putting much effort in to playing it and you brain thinks it should be so damn easy to win).

Having managed a group of teens for half of last year, none of them played any PC games they had to pay for. It was all free to play and it was all MOBA's. Otherwise they played console games, because that's what their parents would buy for them.

So much truth in this. Are people really drawn to MOBA's because they are fun, or because they are free? I'd wager a lot on the latter.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Feb 16, 2015, 13:09 descender

I hope they have cross platform play with Guns of Icarus, it is fun as hell and needs a serious infusion of players.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2015, 12:08 descender

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Over this past summer most of the eastern seaboard was experiencing "drought" conditions.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 16, 2015, 11:42 descender

It's a pretty good deal since you don't have to pay the other 3/4 of your cable bill...

A $20 standalone product and a $20 addon product are not the same thing.

Epix probably not going to sway people the way HBOGO would though. They have some pretty questionable shit on that channel some times... like pro-fracking documentaries.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 16, 2015, 11:25 descender

You go back 10 years, there were a lot of games that were just single-player, one time play.

Yeah, and you'd be extremely hard pressed to find one of those old SP games that was over in 5 hours while simultaneously dealing with tougher limitations of both storage and processing power.

IMO... The $60 price point for most games is utter nonsense. I can only think of a handful of SP games that I would consider "worth" a $60 launch price... and that's only because in hindsight they were some of the more iconic games of our time or they had extremely high replayability.

I only really spend ~$60 on games that I envision myself spending upwards of 50 hours on. Otherwise I can just wait until it goes on sale (if the game lacks MP then I don't need to play it when there is a "community" and I will probably wait until it's $5).

Cost risk analysis is something everyone does on every purchase every day. I don't understand why people get so butthurt around here that some people want games to be worth the money they are spending on them. "Entertainment per dollar" (not "hours per dollar") is extremely important when pricing and making purchasing decisions.

Are all hours spent gaming equal? No, of course not... but if you are only going to give me me 5 hours of static content for $60... it better be some of the greatest most entertaining content ever conceived.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 2 Begins
16. Re: Diablo III Season 2 Begins Feb 16, 2015, 09:11 descender

InBlack, your concern for the well-being of the Chinese bot-farmers warms the cockles of my heart.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Multiplayer Revealed
35. Re: Mass Effect 4 Multiplayer Revealed Feb 15, 2015, 10:15 descender

After all the backlash at the story, I didn't see the point.

LOL... yes... skip 40-50 hours worth of awesome RPG storytelling because the last 5 minutes of the story might have butthurt some overzealous teenagers on the internet. Brilliant!

I love that you latched on to the piss-poor combat though, that's hilarious!

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Public Beta
14. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Public Beta Feb 14, 2015, 18:06 descender

(i7-2600K, 560Ti, 16GB RAM)

One of these things is not like the other... one of these things...

Get a video card man!

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Trailer
24. Re: Just Cause 3 Trailer Feb 13, 2015, 18:35 descender

I had similar issues with JC2, Xero. I didn't really feel like I needed to play it on a controller... but I never could get the key bindings comfortable to the point where I could play without thinking about what buttons do what.

Probably bears further investigation :p All accounts are the game is great fun.

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Multiplayer Revealed
29. Re: Mass Effect 4 Multiplayer Revealed Feb 13, 2015, 18:30 descender

IMO... The combat is the single worst feature of the Mass Effect series (2+3 more-so than 1 I suppose). The fact that people truly enjoy playing it multiplayer blows my mind.  

News Comments > Dying Light Free Hard Mode Update Coming
6. Re: Dying Light Free Hard Mode Update Coming Feb 12, 2015, 02:14 descender

Hey Monolith...

HEY! MONOLITH!

You can add a hard mode to a game... see?

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Finds Lost Vikings
12. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Feb 12, 2015, 02:04 descender

To be fair, LoL does have 4 maps and does make some crazy game modes available at times.

The default 15 year old 3 lane map bores me to tears, so the different arrangements and objectives in HotS have been a refreshing change of pace.

I agree with a lot of what Trevellian said here. I don't care for denying/last hitting mechanics, it's tedious and makes the games feel like work. In HotS you waste less time worrying about farming the fodder on the map, and more time is spent on team fighting and jungle/map control. All of the best, fun parts of the genre and none of the tired, tedious old mechanics (denying was originally a bug with WC3, why is it now a desired feature?!).

HotS makes MOBA easier to get into, and IMO it seems less likely that one unskilled player will los efocus mid match and blow the entire game because he doesn't have to keep worrying about counterintuitive mechanics.

787 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo