Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 1131 (Pro)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Win 10 Aug 19, 2015, 14:54 descender

As more Win 10 game performance comparisons come out, it is clear this new OS offers no significant practical benefit to the user.

What has become clear is that these "reviewers" really suck ass at their jobs and people will believe anything they read so long as it disparages Windows 10 :p

Doing these tests with monstrous rigs (i7-5960 with a Titan X... are you for real?) is exactly why they are not seeing any performance differences.

The actual difference between the OS's is overhead and DX12. Since DX12 doesn't "exist" yet, the only difference is the CPU/RAM overhead. If the OS wasn't slowing you down in W7/8 then guess what... W10 won't be any fucking faster! In the real world where people don't all own freshly updated $3000 PC's, there is plenty of performance difference between the OS's.

GTA5 runs 10FPS faster on my HTPC under W10 (~5 year old hardware). Most other games I only see about a 5FPS increase... but the extra frames I'm getting there seem really important... I feel less stuttering/hitching overall and it just feels like a considerably smoother experience. The framerates are more consistent overall, not just faster in certain spots.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 14, 2015, 21:08 descender

Where did the goalposts go? I can't see them anymore. I don't think I was disputing that companies utilize offsite physical backups? Only that they rarely physically carry them offsite anymore and that people lose tapes and leave drives on the damn subway (or pretty much anywhere because people are the worst) all the time anyway, even locked in briefcases... so these type of backups are not always more secure than simply uploading them somewhere offsite and are usually only restored from as an absolute last resort. Using split-key encryption or some other fun (not actually fun!) methods can make enterprise level cloud backup extremely secure, but I don't really want to get into all of that right now and it would still be coupled with physical onsite and offsite backups anyway.. A link to a top 10 list of advice for home users certainly doesn't warrant all of this enterprise level discussion... so can we stop now? It's friday.

#3 backup just the files you need locally onto a usb stick, never remotely.
For the exact same reasons that companies need offsite backups, that USB stick melts in a house fire very easily or gets lost or stepped on or eaten by a dog. Who the hell knows. A lot of them just stop working after a while for almost no reason. This is a horrible piece of technology to rely on to backup your personal data.

If you can't get over using "cloud anything" because of tinfoil hat concerns, that's your issue. For most people some form of cloud storage/backup is clearly a more reliable and realistic option than a personal "offsite backup" or a USB stick or the NOTHING that they are currently using. Obviously employing a combination of backup solutions is the best way to go, so the world can fail you in many ways before you actually lose your data. Knowing which of these type of options is the most reliable and secure is not "bad advice" in any way.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 14, 2015, 16:03 descender

Being wrong has never stopped you before, so I'm not surprised by your responses here at all.

those arguments are easy to discuss without devolving into the usual dick beating.

If it's so easy, why is it always your first response? /SMH

Your suggestions for "security"... while admirable on paper... basically don't apply to the real world in any way. I haven't seen a backup physically carried "offsite" in nearly a decade. You couldn't possibly secure an entire company down to the levels you are talking about for the backup to be the weakest link, so someone packet sniffing the encrypted offsite backup is hardly a real world concern.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2015, 16:14.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 14, 2015, 15:04 descender

it's called offsite storage, not online

That is an absolutely hysterical response. Obviously the purpose and concept of how most online/offsite backups work has completely eluded you.

Hilarious how you think everyone is ganging up on you all the time. You couldn't possibly be wrong. That would be too obvious. It must be "everyone else". /SMH

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2015, 15:25.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 14, 2015, 10:53 descender

None of the recommended software contains any malware. They explain why a "better password" is irrelevant in today's world. They address how off-site backup solutions are pretty important unless you have a fetish for rummaging through ash and debris for melted USB sticks.

Confused

Every one your points are directly addressed in detail in the sub-articles, you should read more... your "advice" is pretty inaccurate and uninformed. Yeah, keeping everything offline and disconnected is "more secure" in the moment, but so is leaving your car in your driveway and walking to work. Sometimes you do actually need to drive the thing!

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2015, 10:59.

News Comments > Overwatch Gameplay Video
6. Re: Overwatch Gameplay Video Aug 12, 2015, 14:22 descender

The Auto-Tagging of enemies is pretty lame. In some of these videos you can't even see the model of the player they are shooting at, they are just aiming and firing blindly into the UI elements. That shit needs to go away.

This game could definitely learn a lot from TF2's clean presentation and easily identifiable character classes. They seem to have skipped out on that class :p

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Notes
19. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Notes Aug 11, 2015, 09:52 descender

I hated the combat, it was a huge step backwards... The lack of a reasonable mana pool (2 or 3 spells and you are out... stupid) and long refresh times on skills really didn't work together well at all. You really didn't have many tactical options once a fight started, only with how you engaged it. "Action RPG" as opposed to tactical also requires some intelligent action by your AI controlled buddies to work right and this game was lacking that hardcore. I'd rather smash my head into a brick wall than deal with keeping the stupid AI alive in another dragon fight. For me most of those fights devolved into spamming the Spirit sword skill of just waiting 20 minutes for my tank to finish killing it.

The story and characters were awesome, the only thing that kept me playing. The volume of pointless side quests was a bit annoying I suppose. I definitely gave up and pushed the storyline way before I cleared all of the areas though, the combat just wasn't fun anymore. It would have been nice if they required you to party up with the characters to do their side-quests.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 15:58 descender

Running a game or something windows *thinks* is a game will launch the "game bar" that has an overlay with "Shadowplay" and screenshot features. That is likely causing the problems.

Pretty stupid that they left all of this shit enabled by default, thank god for the N builds.

Open powershell as admin
Get-AppxPackage *xbox* | Remove-AppxPackage
enjoy.

EDIT: The reviewer that tested the 3 OS's in that article apparently has never heard of diminishing returns. Testing them with that beefy of a computer was really pointless. Oh if I spend $3k on a machine you can't tell the speed difference between them? Great! /s

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2015, 16:10.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2015, 15:58 descender

Seriously? We've reverted to Win 3.1 days? Wow.

... No?

If you have anything overclocked and you have any problem... if that isn't the first thing you disable you don't know WTF you are doing. Disconnecting unnecessary USB devices during an OS install is just good practice.

This is not necessary unless you are having problems completing the install. I've done the upgrade to 7 machines so far and this wasn't necessary on any of them so far. I have had 1 machine seemingly "hang" during the last part of the installation, but 1 reboot brought it right back into the setup and it completed fine.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2015, 14:31 descender

Definitely disable any overclocking you may have in place... and disconnect all peripherals, seems to help get through the install where people have trouble.  

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 14:43 descender

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
SB0886
October 2015

That's the card I'm using and it works fine, but like I had said earlier I wasn't using Creative's drivers before the upgrade.

You should be downloading and installing this: http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/2015/07/sb-x-fi-series-support-pack-34.html

Waiting for official Creative drivers that will only give you half of the cards functionality anyway is a waste of time.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2015, 14:39 descender

People seem to be living under this ridiculously naive assumption that the OS they are currently using is not tracking and submitting the same exact things that people are claiming Windows 10 is tracking. As if not upgrading to Windows 10 will some how save you and your "data"... LOL

Most of the EULA sections people are posting have nothing to do with the complaints being made as well... it's all quite comical.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 13:48 descender

During the upgrade process you are given the option to retain your data/settings or not. If you choose not to there is fundamentally no difference between that and a clean install. It's been this way since windows 7. If it detects an existing oS on the drive it moves everything currently on your c: into windows.old and then the install from that point forward is "clean".  

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 13:13 descender

My X-Fi works just fine in W10, even the front panel works. I had the danielK drivers installed on 7 previously and whatever drivers it automatically installed during the 10 upgrade have not caused any issues so far.

If you have one of those pci-e x1 riser xfi cards packaged with a motherboard then you don't have a real creative card and that's probably why it doesn't work.

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 09:08 descender

For entertainment purposes, I imaged my C: of my home computer (safety first!) and did an inplace upgrade yesterday.

Flawless.

The only program that I have had to reinstall so far for some reason... Office2013. Didn't have to download a single driver or update either. Every game I had installed on the machine ran without a hitch.... and with less hitches (easily picked up 5-10fps in GTA5 but more investigation is required). My mysterious rhythmic stutter in GTA5 is gone though, so that's awesome.

I had originally planned to follow through with a clean install regardless of the results here... but I'm really not seeing a reason to right now.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
68. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2015, 00:11 descender

considering the population of the entire UK would fit in the northeastern states with room to spare

Do you know what a rate is?

no one is proposing stronger laws and penalties for drivers and freaking out on TV about it
It is harder to get and keep a drivers license than it is to purchase a gun, and there are all sorts of regulations and protections for the public in place.

Hint, it's not a gun.

It... is a gun.

There is no "emotion" about it unless you love guns and hate facts.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 14:58 descender

I suppose citing incorrect "facts" is a pretty solid way of ensuring you are corrected.  

41. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 14:40 descender

Sorry Newmaxx, but that "statistic" you cited is just another NRA smokescreen. Violent crime is defined completely differently between the US and UK and has no relevance whatsoever to gun crime statistics.

Violent Crime definition UK:
“Violent crime contains a wide range of offences, from minor assaults such as pushing and shoving that result in no physical harm through to serious incidents of wounding and murder. Around a half of violent incidents identified by both BCS and police statistics involve no injury to the victim.” (THOSB – CEW, page 17, paragraph 1.)

Violent Crime Definition US:
“In the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Violent crimes are defined in the UCR Program as those offenses which involve force or threat of force.” (FBI – CUS – Violent Crime)

The rate of similar "violent crimes" (not the reported lie statistic) in the Us is 5 times higher than the UK.

News Comments > GOG.com & Windows 10
17. Re: GOG.com & Windows 10 Jul 29, 2015, 14:17 descender

Couldn't you just be happy about the fact that GOG had to announce did this, and stop making shit up about Valve that you have no idea about in the process?

Try not to be such a sucker for marketing, jesus...

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 14:12 descender

I don't think I'd believe a website that so obviously confuses free speech with privacy.  

1131 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo