Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 724 (Apprentice)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans
14. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans Sep 26, 2014, 11:18 descender

I don't see "6GB of vram" and think "wow that must look amazing!"...

I think... "wow, how fucking bad are the programmers these days that they need 6GB of VRAM".

The same way bad ports from 360/ps3 games "required" massive amounts of CPU to run on PC because they were so poorly optimized, it looks like texture memory is the next thing to go flying off the rails. Are they using completely uncompressed textures or something?

I don't understand how the amount of memory they are using could have increased so tremendously, while the games simply don't look any better than older PC games. Is it going to look better than Skyrim did running on a 1GB video card? I highly doubt that it will.

EDIT: Complete LOL that it is a screenshot of the fucking settings menu, and not of the game running on ultra settings.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Music Leaves Beta
15. Re: Steam Music Leaves Beta Sep 25, 2014, 12:15 descender

I'm sure version 1 of other music players were missing some key features as well. This is something I expect them to easily and quickly improve upon.

Also something I will probably never, ever use. I don't know why but I've never listened to external music while playing games. I need to hear footsteps and bullets flying around, I don't have time for your drum solo!

And doesn't spotify specifically make it impossible for any external player to reach it? They released their own player to make it stream to winamp... but knocking the steam UI for not being able to access something spotify doesn't want you to access seem disingenuous.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2014, 14:21.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2014, 12:09 descender

It's sad to see WD fall off so badly.. I've used WD Black drives exclusively for about ~10-15 years now (I have about 8 40gb/80gb/160gb ones sitting in a box somewhere, 2 1TB and 1 2TB live in my machine along with 2 10k raptors). They've all ran flawlessly for me, and only got replaced when more space was needed.

One of my 10k RPM velociraptors just started spitting a SMART error after running in raid0 for about 5 years non-stop. First time I've run into anything and the drive is actually still functioning perfectly from what I can tell (yes I have backed up and am prepared for failure).

I've been hemming over buying the new hard drives I need as these are all full... been waiting for the next "leap" in storage space. 3-4TB drives don't really interest me, but a 10 or 20tb drive certainly would. Anyone have any inkling of when that may be a reality? I've been waiting for what seems like years at this point.

General Discussion > NFL Week Four
4. Bye week starter Sep 25, 2014, 12:03 descender

Peyton bye week...
My choices were:
Tannehill vs OAK (in london)
Eli vs Skins (on thursday)
Bridgewater vs ATL (pray for waiver claim, unlikely)

So far I went with Eli tonight... tell me I'm crazy. :p

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
26. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 24, 2014, 12:33 descender

LOL the tea party news network.

When is anyone going to take pictures of an hour later, when all of that garbage was actually cleaned up by volunteers from the march?

Oh, I supposed there's no 'gotcha' moment there so no one will care.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 23, 2014, 15:42 descender

That video is fantastic.

If 1998 wasn't the pinnacle of gaming as a whole, I don't know what is.

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 23, 2014, 15:26 descender

You couldn't have possibly thought that linking to Dailymail and the NY Post for 'climate science' was a good idea.

How can you possibly be so uncertain how the climate actually works, yet so completely certain that we are not doing anything to influence it?

There is absolutely nothing to gain through hard-nosed denial of human-caused impact on climate, no matter the scale... unless you making money off of causing it.

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 23, 2014, 13:32 descender

All of 140 people have watched that youtube video, I'm sure his opinion is "swaying the masses". If every community were accountable for it's biggest nutcase, then I doubt anyone would be worth listening to. In California houses are actually burning down, there are huge droughts going on in the western part of the US... but yeah, this guy in the polar bear costume must but disprove everything!

It's funny to see how the oil industry has flipped the script on it's minions... from denialism to counter-activism. The global cooling crowd is now making the opposite unfounded claims based on the same incomplete data that they tried to crucify the "warmers" with for decades.

Does it really matter if it's warming or cooling? If it changes, in either direction... billions of people are fucked. If we are doing something that alters it one way or the other, we should probably stop doing it. We should do our best to find out if it is true... not just point fingers at each other...

With China's industrial revolution happening now, and Africa's probably right around the corner... man-made carbon pollution is going to hit levels never seen before. You can pretend that won't effect anything in a negative way, but it won't work for long.

News Comments > PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+ Free Week on Steam
2. Re: PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+ Free Week on Steam Sep 22, 2014, 22:30 descender

My absolute favorite version of pacman. For $3 ($5 bundled with all dlc) this is a must buy.

The trailers make it look a lot faster and out of control than it actually plays. Most of the game is following patterns, switching back and forth from one side of the board to the other. Game speed 50 in the trailers is not something you will be touching at the beginning, and by the time you do... you will be entirely too zen to notice.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2014, 00:43.

News Comments > Steam Discovery Update
17. Re: Steam Discovery Update Sep 22, 2014, 22:21 descender

Click on community hub then discussions

It's been this way for months.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 22, 2014, 11:53 descender

This is all I can think about while reading your post.... Laugh2

http://youtu.be/K3JiE-yimpo?t=10m18s

Don't step in the darkness!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2014, 11:24 descender

Yeah, I don't know how that got in there... beer + football+ ranting on the interwebs doesn't mix.

It should say "90% of all people infected with the flu each year are 65 or older".

They mortality rate is roughly 12-15% rate, usually due to other complications the infection amplifies.

"LOL" is not a useful response for anyone though, try maybe coming up with the answer next time? Be useful to the conversation.

6. Re: Rift Reaction Sep 21, 2014, 15:43 descender

The lion king one is one of my favorites, the songs make laugh to tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFtBjc1dz7w

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2014, 15:37 descender

So you are still avoiding the higher chance of dieing from the flu, instead of the incredibly smaller chance that you get GBS. The mortality rate for GBS with the population as a whole is something like 0.00008%, if you want to cite numbers that aren't honest.

Putting the word "unlikely" in parenthesis does not make it a smaller chance than the actual facts. You are still taking a higher risk of flu infection or transmittance than you are avoiding risk of GBS.

If someone very old catches the flu from me and dies, so be it. I've got more years left than they do.

Wow. So you basically don't care about anyone but yourself.

Again the purpose of pushing the flu shots is not to stop any individual person from getting infected with the flu, but to slow the spread of the most predictable strains each year. Lucky for you other people actually do get vaccinated, so you do actually have a lower chance of getting infected through no action of your own.

IMO... Anyone working in a public space should seriously consider the benefits of being vaccinated and checked on a regular basis.

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2014, 15:50.

News Comments > Battleborn Co-op Video
3. Re: Battleborn Co-op Video Sep 21, 2014, 11:26 descender

I don't think MOBA minus PVP really describes this. It looks like it follows in the Sanctum/Dungeon Defenders vein of hands-on, co-op "defend our thing!" games... but with a bit more cohesion to the levels and story?

Tower defense minus towers. Arena defense? Something like that.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2014, 10:54 descender

This thread is a little light on facts, so let's have some shall we?

The H1N1 vaccine in the 70's, which every anti-vaxxer nut is actually pointing at when they bring up GBS, raised the infection rate by 1 in 100,000.

Of the 23 million people who received the H1N1 vaccine in 2009, 54 developed GBS within 6 weeks of the shot. This works out to be about 1.6 extra GBS cases for every 1 million people vaccinated.

2/3 of all GBS cases are cause by infection, flu or respiratory, and only 1/4 of the people diagnosed with GBS have received any sort of vaccination.

So... Having the flu or other similar infections causes GBS (and death regardless of GBS) at a much higher rate than the flu shots EVER did. Dying from the flu is still a considerably greater risk than the increased risk of GBS from the vaccination.

An interesting thought experiment I just read about this:
If every person in the US had gotten the H1N1 vaccination in 2009, an estimated 22 vaccine related deaths would have occurred.
If every person in the US had gotten the H1N1 flu, an estimated 12,500 people would have died.

One of these things is not like the other. Driving a car or simply walking down a busy city street poses a considerably higher risk to your health than vaccines do.

Are you as a young healthy person likely to die from the flu? No, of course not.
Are you likely to infect someone else with it if you have it? Yup.
If that person is over 65, are they likely to die from the flu? Yup, people 65 and over have something like a 90% mortality rate when infected with the flu. EDIT: "90% of all people infected with the flu each year are 65 or older"

This is why vaccines are important, to stop the spread of infections. Stop pretending like they need to be a 100% perfect and effective in order to be useful to society as a whole. You are not really getting the flu shot to save yourself from the flu, you are getting it to stop everyone you know from getting infected with the flu BY YOU.

Unless you hate old people... I suppose... then by all means continue to selfishly lower you miniscule risk of GBS by increasing their incredible risk of death from flu infection.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2014, 11:42.

News Comments > Op Ed
68. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2014, 17:14 descender

What is it with you guys, that you don't seem to understand that you haven't been talking to me this entire time. You did not ever address a single question I've asked, and continue to make baseless and broad assumptions about what I'm even referring to.

You are so up in arms obsessed with this topic that you can't even keep straight who is defending what position.

Great talking to you. Keep fighting... whoever it is you think you're fighting.

I love the threat of not replying to me anymore. PLEASE do me that favor, you are obviously not even reading my posts in the first place.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 20, 2014, 15:33 descender

Somehow that article doesn't mention anywhere what CRTC actually stands for. Those damn letters! I had a good guess, but still had to go look it up.  

News Comments > Op Ed
65. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2014, 15:26 descender

Typical response. It seems all anyone seems to want to give on this topic is an evasive answer.

What? You have a question? YOU MUST BE A SJW!$%#%$^ Your suppression tactics are old hat.

Seriously, you need to calm down, stop drooling on yourself... and realize that not everyone is "out to get you". Copying someone else's evasive answer gets bonus points for creativity though.

News Comments > Op Ed
58. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2014, 12:01 descender

acting like moral police from your high horses

I only see one group of people acting like the moral authority around here... and it's not who you seem to think it is.

Thou shall not question or discuss any part of gamergate!

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2014, 12:07.

724 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo