Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 981 (Graduate)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
27. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 15:43 descender

God damnit, who the fuck is going to build the rest of my City now?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2015, 13:23 descender

There are no basements in Cali and other warm places mainly because it never freezes there.

If the ground freezes, it would upheave and crack the entire foundation of a house built on just a slab. To avoid this they HAVE to dig down below the 4ft "freeze line" to anchor the foundation, and that's where the basements come from.

They don't want to dig any holes they don't have to, so unless you specifically pay to have a basement built into your house in these areas, you won't have one.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints
48. Re: Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints Mar 25, 2015, 16:38 descender

This is pretty common licensing practice in the corporate world. usually you have to even generate the hash yourself, submit it to the company and then they generate a key for you based on it.

He could have just contacted EA and asked them to remove these limitations for them to do reviews (literally a 3 minute phone call), but he decided to cry about it on the internet instead.

This DRM is stupid, don't get me wrong... but it's not out of the ordinary in any way.

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Mar 24, 2015, 16:13 descender

I trust what people at Blues say.

That must save you a lot of money... lol

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released
12. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released Mar 24, 2015, 15:54 descender

These days, I pretty much wait and only buy the GOTY version.

Agreed.

One of my biggest gaming purchase regrets in the past decade is missing out on DA:O Ultimate for $2.50 on a X-mas Steam sale. Sigh.

I have such a backlog that playing (or at least, paying full price for) new games is just stupid.

$5 or bust!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 24, 2015, 15:51 descender

i don't think you guys are using the right terms. This is likely the last "closed" console generation we will see. The push for an open platform is as strong as it will ever be.

"Consoles" or the concept of home-theater set-top gaming devices... are not going anywhere.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patched
18. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patched Mar 23, 2015, 18:48 descender

I'm getting 5MB/sec from Origin right now. Must be a problem in your region.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2015, 18:40 descender

4K (4096x2160) and UHD (3840x2160) are not actually the same thing (even though people use them interchangeably for some stupid reason), and what most of you are describing are UHD displays that you have purchased... not "4K" displays.

A lot of the cheaper "4K" displays even have extremely low refresh rates (like 30HZ) so there is tremendous discrepancy in the image quality even among the new offerings.

There is also the problem of what you can physically see vs what you can't. For most applications of a 4K TV, you can't see it and you are just fooling yourself.

Say you have an 80" 1080P TV that sits 10 feet away from you. This is the farthest viewing distance for a person with 20/20 vision to be able to see the finest detail 1080p offers.

If you bought an 80" UHD TV to replace it with, you would have to move it to 8-feet before you could even tell the difference between the displays, and you would have to move it all the way up to 5-feet away in order to see the finest details that UHD has to offer. Alternatively, you would need a 160" UHD TV at the same 10-foot distance to be able to fully take advantage of the UHD display.

Long story short, "4K displays" have a significant "wow" factor when viewed up close, but at your normal viewing distances you need massive displays to take advantage of the technology. If you are thinking about using smaller displays or longer distances than optimal... and you are just wasting your time. Most people don't even have their 1080P TV at a distance that allows them to see 100% of the detail it provides.

It all comes down to your eyes. Your eyes are analog and you can't just cram more detail into smaller spaces and expect to see the difference. You can only physically see things that are "so small" and we are quickly approaching that limit with these new displays.

Nifty chart: http://goo.gl/3O5uxb

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2015, 18:04 descender

No more lawns.

Residential use is basically not significant to the problem in any way, it's less than 20% of the total water used in the state.

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2015, 18:10.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2015, 15:40 descender

I don't really follow why they "don't have a choice". Giving up and letting pirates upgrade for free doesn't actually solve any problems that I can see... maybe they can't detect the cracked versions very well anymore... so they would just end up incidentally pushing it to them anyway because of the new update system. OK, maybe I follow it now? /shrug

Their claims (which... they didn't make the ones you are suggesting but let's move past that) are basically already fact. Windows 10 Technical Preview is already measurably ~10% faster across the board without factoring in DX12. You could install this literally right now and see that performance improvement, and it's not even going to be officially released for another ~6 months.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 23, 2015, 15:32 descender

Now if only I could clone the drive rather than having to re-download all my games. /sigh

mklink /j c:\games\oldgamefolder d:\games\newgamefolder
This is your friend. Move the game to the new hard drive, create a directory junction pointing to the new location where the old folder used to be and tadaaaaaa... lobster.

I used to use that to stash steam games into different drives/folders before they supported multiple libraries.

it should work out well for you if you have no intentions of reinstalling windows on the new HD (hint, your entire system would actually be a little faster because 2TB hard drives are for the most part faster than 500GB HD's).

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2015, 14:56 descender

Axis trolls hard, but certainly not in any sort of amusing way. he really enjoys it when you burst his bubble with facts, though.

DX12 is going to be considerably faster because of threading and support for an insane amount of draw calls... just for starters. They have never once announced that it will be Windows 10 exclusive. "Waiting for Windows 10" for reports on DX12 performance makes absolutely no sense.

The Windows 10 builds have been around for almost a year now. There are no great mysteries left about it's performance. It is hands-down faster in every way that it could be.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Delayed
2. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Delayed Mar 23, 2015, 11:46 descender

Looks like more of the same... which is basically fine with this awesome franchise. It would be nice to see them include more playable characters during the main story like they did in Arkham City. Can we just get an entire Nightwing game? KThx.

Never understood why the dev's need to make things so damn shiny though, like everything is covered in saran-wrap.

I disagree about the Shadow of Mordor combat comment below... I found it to be trivial and over-powered at best. Their enemy variety was also severely lacking. The knife guys and tossed environment objects in Arkham city were more of a challenge to deal with than 95% of the Captains in SoM.

The limitations in how you could damage guys in SoM was more of an annoyance than anything else.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 22, 2015, 20:12 descender

I have not seen a positive review on it yet.

Almost every review of "Reign of Kings" is positive, and it's 3:1 positive on Steam user reviews. The only negativity I can find about it are people still whining about the last game they tried to make.

News Comments > Hearthstone Blackrock Mountain Pre-Purchase Bonus
11. Re: Hearthstone Blackrock Mountain Pre-Purchase Bonus Mar 21, 2015, 16:05 descender

When the other expansions were up for pre-order you couldn't see a gold price yet either. I haven't noticed them mention a gold purchase for this one anywhere though, and the price seems a little steep.

I'll definitely go back to playing cardhunter if they fracture the free-to-play decks away from the paid ones.

News Comments > Hearthstone Blackrock Mountain Pre-Purchase Bonus
5. Re: Hearthstone Blackrock Mountain Pre-Purchase Bonus Mar 20, 2015, 21:47 descender

You should really only play enough casual/ranked to get 150 gold to play Arena. You get a pack every time and you only need 3 wins to guarantee you earn your other 50 back. Arena is the best way to not only build your collection but also give you a good feel for the entire collection of cards that you don't actually own.

As you mentioned, Rank 20 is easy to attain for the backs... and I wouldn't bother trying to attain much more than that until you have a pretty decent pile of Legendary cards and a really solid feel for the decks and metagame. There isn't much point to just losing to netdecks constantly, and you could be earning considerably more gold getting to 6-7+ wins in Arena.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Mar 20, 2015, 21:16 descender

Day of The Tentacle. That remake can't come soon enough.  

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
118. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 19, 2015, 02:50 descender

Creston - I got that "coffee filter" thing to work up to around 50k people, but something happened between 50-60k when I started redoing some areas of my town and it crashed down to about 20k people before it stabilized.

Of course it crashed while I was attempting to convert my city to... This... madness.

I haven't copied the exact thing verbatim (where's the fun in that?) but the main concept is alive and well in my city. One way in, One way out, split the "in's" with one way intersections through multiple levels before you actually get to a traffic light/stopsign so traffic doesn't even slow down until it's deep into the city, and the exit ramp is nested still deeper. This keeps traffic flowing in basically one direction in and through the industrial area. It's a little rough at first to get used to and plan out (and I nearly bankrupted/crashed my city doing it, turns out redistricting level3 zones is really painful for your budget if you aren't paying attention), but I've now adapted it to every sector of my city and I'm slowly re-growing (just back to about 40k now after a loooong session of fixing it).

City feeder - Create exit ramps with the "3L highway" pieces, not the exit/service ramp pieces. After ~2 segments (adjust for traffic density) convert directly to 6W1L and have the two ramps meet in a reverse-Y intersection (2 full segments of 6L1W seems to be needed just before the intersection so you don't have problems with lane switching). This alternates your incoming traffic via 12 lanes which is basically more than enough to clear the highway ramps and get the trucks into the city cleanly.

City Exit - 6W1L out, split to 2 "highway pieces" (one for each direction, and run them as ramps back to your highway. Only the last piece that touches the highway should be changed to an exitramp/service road. Whatever those things are.

You can see both of these concepts in these animated images in the link.

At this point I've basically taken the "coffee filter" method to the highway meta level and have my feeders only connect to certain areas of the city (which are not connected in any way other than via the highways).

I need to take some screenshots of what I've built at this point, it's nearly impossible to explain correctly :p

I have noticed that revamping the highways/ramps is basically a necessity. For starters, they are too close together and I do a lot of left-lane entrancing. Doing exit right-lane followed by entrance left-lane (or vice versa, obviously) seems to be the fastest method to handling highway ramps that I've found so far. If you exit/entrance in the same lane you will run into problems because the drivers seem to change lanes 50 miles before their destination in this game.

Stealing the concepts for these feeder/exit ramps I just linked has helped me tremendously. Unfortunately I seem to need to fudge them almost every time, so the time I've spent creating these things in the asset editor has been kind of a waste. I can create a complete highway junction in mere minutes now though, horay for practice.

OK, maybe I'll actually sleep tonight. Maybe.

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
101. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 13:48 descender

I don't know exactly how long his particular example would continue to work. I had to rebuild parts of it to fit my situation and eventually used larger roads than he did. Seems to work well at larger volumes if you use highway pieces to perform the split.

The problem usually arises from the first traffic light (and their inability to make a right turn to a one way road from the left lane... come on!) so I am making everything one way on my main artery (with offshoots) to the middle of the city, and then allow 2-way traffic on the other side.

After talking over this, I need to go back and redesign some things

I was making 35K a week at 25K population or so.

I'm not seeing that much because I'm probably overdoing the public services.

News Comments > Into the Black
26. Re: Into the Black Mar 17, 2015, 12:38 descender

Unless you were going to add discrete characters to represent the values of 10 and 11, it wouldn't make much sense to do anything outside of the base10 system.  

981 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo