Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 724 (Apprentice)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > BF4 Dragon's Teeth This Month?
7. Re: BF4 Dragon's Teeth This Month? Jul 5, 2014, 11:56 descender

I love that some of the more negative people here are slobbering all over the idea of getting to pay more money for these shit Battlefield games :p  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evolve Alpha Signups
1. Re: Evolve Alpha Signups Jul 4, 2014, 15:22 descender

Whatever you do, don't go sign up for this.

I want to get in.

News Comments > Rob Pardo Leaves Blizzard
13. Re: Rob Pardo Leaves Blizzard Jul 3, 2014, 21:37 descender

I had a great time playing HGL, I never understood what all the whining was about.

When he said "CoD and Halo are more original" then, well... you should have just stopped.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth in October
26. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth in October Jul 3, 2014, 20:59 descender

As Scottish Martial Arts points out, the map sizes are still small compared to the number of units present

Then simply play with less civs and CS's on the larger maps if it's a problem for you?

The Civ5 game experience is almost completely customizable, these complaints should not really be slowing you down.

25. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth in October Jul 3, 2014, 20:48 descender

I understand all of that.

You said
hexes do NOT work in Civ. The problem is with Civ's one unit per hex rule and that Civ's maps are much smaller in comparison than in a wargame;
Hexes have nothing to do with that. The maps could have been made larger (there are even mods for some truly massive maps) and still use hexes. That's what I was referring to, anyway. They are not directly related, or a problem because of each other. They simply didn't make the default maps large enough for your tastes.

I still don't understand this sentiment as most games are long over before you get to the point where you have a map full of units, unless you are only playing with domination victory enabled. You can win cultural games with 20 units and 2-3 cities.

If you try to play Civ 5 like you played Civ 4, you're gonna have a bad time. Sure it's different, but I don't think it's worse by any stretch.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2014, 21:29.

20. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth in October Jul 3, 2014, 19:40 descender

1 Unit-Per-Tile has absolutely nothing to do with the shape of the tiles, so try not to trip while you backpedal so fast. Regardless, most of the AI issues have been fixed already in the expansions and patches, and your "choke points" only work against the entry level difficulty levels. I don't know why you think the maps are small you realize you can play on bigger ones if you choose...

There are good arguments against 1UPT, but this is not one of them.

14. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth in October Jul 3, 2014, 17:12 descender

This is one of the more thorough guides I've come across http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=275147282

Play your first few games on easy difficulties, fast game speeds and small maps. There's no reason to be bold and take on more than you can handle.

Bump the difficulty and number of Civs/City-states (even well beyond the map suggestions) before you start bumping the actual map size.

Continents/Earth type maps are harder to win on because you can end up with some runaway AI problems. The ring/oval map or pangea type maps are generally easiest to start with.

I find the most 'fun' games are cramped, with as many opponents and CS's as you care to add on maps that don't really have enough room for them all. On larger maps you can go 100 turns at the beginning sometimes without running into another civ. Especially if you are only playing with the "recommended" number of AI players.

Once you get acclimated, PerfectWorld3 is almost a must have mod for balanced map generation.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 12:21 descender

Maybe it's gotten better? I was in a closed beta a loooong time ago and was completely thrown for a loop when I was being told I didn't know how to play a game that only like 100 people could have been playing at the time. I did really enjoy the perspective change, maybe i'll check it out again.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 3, 2014, 12:10 descender

The pizza article is a little scary, but also hilarious... the idiots sent the letters out USPS.

Just goes to show that all the digital anonymity in the world can't save people from themselves.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jul 3, 2014, 11:57 descender

No... but for an extra $5....

They've actually used "kill the fuhrer" DLC's twice now. I played SE2 when it was free on steam a few weeks ago, the only thing more boring than sniping in multiplayer games is... sniping in single player games.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2014, 11:52 descender

Mobile device use in the air not taking off

Until they provide cell service, internet, and somewhere to plug in your phone on the plane... why would it "take off"?

The "last bastion of reading material" line was just silly, as if paper is required for reading things.

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 11:48 descender

does a MOBA exist where the playerbase isn't full of assholes?

Not that I know of. The problem is people...obviously... and the limited team size.

The less people there are on your team, the more of a chance each one of them can ruin/lose the game for everyone else. I think the reason why games like TF2 don't seem to have that toxicity (of our city, of our ciiiiityyyyy) is because the actions and impact of individuals isn't as obvious.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 3, 2014, 11:44 descender

I'd play the shit out of DOTA 2 if there was no "denying". For some reason that's a breaking point for me. Maybe I'm old, but it makes the game feel more like work than play. It's not as if it was a game mechanic in the original DOTA by design.  

News Comments > ShootMania Roadmap
28. Re: ShootMania Roadmap Jul 3, 2014, 11:32 descender

Yes, it's everyone else. Not you. You're perfect.

I bet the reason you can't point to your "constructive forum posts" is because they were deleted when you were banned from the forums.

Feel free to prove me wrong...

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2014, 11:38.

4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 11:17 descender

That many people really play Smite?!

I thought it was a great change of pace for the MOBA genre, but it had the same toxic community problems the others suffer from (in a BETA, who is a powergaming dickhead in a BETA?!).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2014, 11:06 descender

Another large problem is the serving size suggestions on the side of pet food bags/cans/etc. They all recommend entirely too much per serving for almost any pet. If you follow them you will have a fat pet. Lots of good research has already been done about how much of different types of food (wet/dry) they actually need per day. In some cases you should onyl be giving them half of what is suggested, which is just insane.  

26. Re: ShootMania Roadmap Jul 3, 2014, 11:02 descender

You are the worst kind of troll Axis. Just answer his question and stop being a smug little bitch.

It'd be pretty easy to just point to your forum posts and stop acting like a child. Your refusal only makes it more likely that you are full of shit and that you act like this because you have little to say.

edit: and I wasn't trying to "confirm your points" at all. I said that you shouldn't be complaining about or be surprised by them, because this company has never released anything any different in the past.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2014, 11:20.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 19:45 descender

Yes I did just compare them, because they are essentially the same thing. Pools (group play in the world cup) are like 3-game seasons. There is no difference in the way they are scored.

It's almost exactly like hockey in fact. Whoever has the most points in each group makes the "playoffs" (the brackets in the world cup).

But everyone loves to be all HERPEDERP SOCCER IS DUMB...

16. Re: ShootMania Roadmap Jul 2, 2014, 17:54 descender

So you are providing no reason for anyone to believe... anything you just said? Thank you for clearing that up. All you had to do was elaborate on your points a little, instead you have to act like a child.

Anyone who has played any of their other games should be familiar with both bad UI and the lack of US servers. I've never seen any complaints about the gameplay. It's a shame that the marketing couldn't have been handled better. At this point I'd say going F2P is the only way they could inflate the US server population enough to matter.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2014, 18:00.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 15:59 descender

The olympics are pretty specialized events, dominated by countries with the proper training facilities (read: money... or for the winter olympics I suppose locale matters). It's not simply population.

The only reason China competes well in the Olympics is because they physically abuse children in bootcamp-like facilities. The rest of the children that aren't sons and daughters of great athletes (or from already rich families) are forced to spend their free time in study rather than sports or other hobbies. This is why they are generally terrible and what we consider "regular" sports (and why they don't even export many other athletes in general).

There is no professional soccer league in China, so the path from their super-corrupt amatuer leagues to the national stage simply doesn't exist. This is a similar limitation that the US is facing with a majority of their talent pool playing in MLS and not better leagues.

There is little excuse for teams like England, Spain, Portugal and Italy to be eliminated from the World Cup... regardless of their population. They are host to the most competitive leagues in the world for the sport and none of them even have a close second "national sport". The US did very well to outlast these teams considering the gap in competition between US professional soccer and UEFA et al. Making the jump from MLS is extremely difficult for players. The only thing all of that population is doing producing really mediocre soccer players.

724 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo