Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 705 (Apprentice)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 15:59 descender

The olympics are pretty specialized events, dominated by countries with the proper training facilities (read: money... or for the winter olympics I suppose locale matters). It's not simply population.

The only reason China competes well in the Olympics is because they physically abuse children in bootcamp-like facilities. The rest of the children that aren't sons and daughters of great athletes (or from already rich families) are forced to spend their free time in study rather than sports or other hobbies. This is why they are generally terrible and what we consider "regular" sports (and why they don't even export many other athletes in general).

There is no professional soccer league in China, so the path from their super-corrupt amatuer leagues to the national stage simply doesn't exist. This is a similar limitation that the US is facing with a majority of their talent pool playing in MLS and not better leagues.

There is little excuse for teams like England, Spain, Portugal and Italy to be eliminated from the World Cup... regardless of their population. They are host to the most competitive leagues in the world for the sport and none of them even have a close second "national sport". The US did very well to outlast these teams considering the gap in competition between US professional soccer and UEFA et al. Making the jump from MLS is extremely difficult for players. The only thing all of that population is doing producing really mediocre soccer players.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ShootMania Roadmap
11. Re: ShootMania Roadmap Jul 2, 2014, 15:37 descender

You make such well thought out posts and are so agreeable when people ask for clarification or have different opinions... It's a complete mystery why they weren't more receptive to your ideas.

Trollbashing

News Comments > Escape Dead Island Announced
15. Re: Escape Dead Island Announced Jul 2, 2014, 15:13 descender

I didn't play the first one... but... was the point of that game not to escape the island?

Also, can you escape a place you went on purpose?

News Comments > WildStar Updated
17. Re: WildStar Updated Jul 2, 2014, 14:48 descender

There is nothing inherently wrong with keeping track of how much you spend on gaming vs how much enjoyment/play time you are getting out of that money. I don't care how much I enjoy a game with a subscription fee, it basically has to be the only game i'm going to play or it's not worth my limited play time.

Spending $150 on a collectors edition... yeah... there's something wrong with that. :p

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 13:52 descender

That's because it doesn't make any sense, and these people don't seem to understand even the basics of how sports work.

As if a baseball/football/hockey/basketball team has never clinched their playoff birth the same day they lost a game.

The "OMG they lost and moved on" people are literally advertising their own stupidity.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 11:25 descender

I don't think the loss was disgraceful... because they should have lost by about 7 or 8 goals. They were extremely lucky to only give up goals in extra time... and it took Howard having the greatest world cup performance for a keeper ever to even make extra time possible. They struggled vs deep crosses in every match, and probably should have lost to ghana too.

I don't understand how this is much of a "step forward" for american soccer at all. If they make it back next time, it will either be with an old Howard, or without him... and he's really the only world class player on that roster.

You can see it plain as day on the field, every team they play internationally is bigger stronger and faster than the US players. The US is going to be an also-ran until there is a large cultural shift that involves US Soccer becoming popular and player pay increasing as to retain the interest of better athletes.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2014, 11:36.

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Jul 1, 2014, 16:32 descender

No, the "AI" will never stop doing that because it's not AI. They drive like slot cars, and if you are in their line you are going to be hit no matter what difficulty you play. Better off just playing the game online as trying to beat the AI will make you form bad racing habits.

Incredible to me that this game apparently still suffers from the same save game corruption problems that GRiD 2 did.

News Comments > Steam Hits 8M Concurrent Users
9. Re: Steam Hits 8M Concurrent Users Jul 1, 2014, 15:46 descender

Today in meaningless numbers....

Of course they just set a record for concurrent users online... tons of people just created extra free accounts to "game" your poorly designed summer event.

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Jul 1, 2014, 15:29 descender

Relationship quest-lines in general to me are just really off-putting in RPG's. They don't add squat to the experience, you aren't creating any sort of meaningful, long lasting relationships. They are essentially just a gateway to an achievement or ridiculously comical "sex scene" to appease some teenagers, and little more than that. Then everyone goes about their business like nothing ever happened or changed in the game-world.

When the companions and "romance" become more than just gimmicks to burn some game-time... maybe I'll care if a character is bi or gay or straight. Until then this is just a stunt to win back some fans they've disenfranchised with... stunts like this they failed to deliver on in the past.

Maybe I'm just really bad at role-playing because I don't get into these paper-thin "romances".

note: I didn't realize this had come out as part of a series of character backstory releases, and thought that it was just this one companion that was "announced", and it seemed a little contrived like they were using it as a selling-point. So it's probably not totally damning of the game as I originally implied, but when the number 1 complaint about the last game was "game-play" and we have yet to hear a single word about how it has been improved or changed... but we hear about this... it doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth (phrasing?).

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Jul 1, 2014, 13:47 descender

Being politically correct? The sexuality of the characters was obviously a major breaking point for this franchise. What's really going on here is that Bioware got tons of shit for promising "same-sex" relationships in TOR, and then failed to deliver on it.

... but... Now that there is a "legitimately gay" character we can end the Darkspawn once and for all!

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jul 1, 2014, 12:44 descender

It just shows they are focusing on all the wrong things for the new DA.

Again.

News Comments > CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback
13. Re: CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback Jun 30, 2014, 20:57 descender

#WeProbablyWontHaveTo  

News Comments > BF4 Test Environment Results
20. Re: BF4 Test Environment Results Jun 30, 2014, 11:37 descender

You'd probably bitch at Henry Ford for his crappy automobile because it occasionally breaks down without oil?

No, but if he sold me the car saying "this car doesn't need oil" then it broke down because it needed oil, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Battlefield sells you 64 player battles that... don't work.

Keep defending that.

19. Re: BF4 Test Environment Results Jun 30, 2014, 11:34 descender

EDIT: Changed my mind... this rant is not worth it.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2014, 12:05.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
10. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 30, 2014, 00:34 descender

This "study" makes little sense. The data rate they quote would get you that 8GB downloaded in 8-9 minutes, not a whole day. That's enough bandwidth to stream a 4K video or like 5 bluray quality videos simultaneously. They currently don't stream anything anywhere near BluRay 1080p quality on things like NetFlix/Hulu etc... so unless there is going to be a drastic change in content delivery, I don't think anyone will be be streaming 4K quality video to our homes in 6 years let alone "need" that much bandwidth for anything.  

14. Re: BF4 Test Environment Results Jun 30, 2014, 00:06 descender

What good are all of those vehicles and weapons and fancy destructible things if the netcode can't handle it? Not a god damn bit of good at all. THAT is what older games "got right 10 years ago". Staying within their limits.

If they knew these newer BF/COD games couldn't handle doing all of those fancy effects in multiplayer, they should not have sold it to people like it worked. Some games even disable certain visual effects in multiplayer to make it work right. Instead, people were sold a steamy pile of shit.

I don't give a flying fuck how "hard" it is for them to get it right, just don't try to get me to pay for it before it does.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2014, 00:18.

News Comments > etc., etc.
11. Re: etc., etc. Jun 29, 2014, 23:50 descender

I remember copying BASIC games out of a magazine to play on my atari, I think that ran DOS 2.5?

These kids and their extended memory. Ha.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2014, 23:47 descender

GOTY versions of games always do this too, and it's pretty much BS.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
9. Re: 165Mbps internet Jun 29, 2014, 23:41 descender

Sadly, you can't watch ANY local team play on MLB.TV (whatever blackout region you are in), also no FOX Saturday baseball or ESPN Sunday night.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2014, 00:35.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 27, 2014, 10:37 descender

Cheating. It's an EMU run, if you input both left and right (iirc) simultaneously, you can walljump off the seams between the blocks in the world.  

705 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo