Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 930 (Graduate)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2015, 14:56 descender

Axis trolls hard, but certainly not in any sort of amusing way. he really enjoys it when you burst his bubble with facts, though.

DX12 is going to be considerably faster because of threading and support for an insane amount of draw calls... just for starters. They have never once announced that it will be Windows 10 exclusive. "Waiting for Windows 10" for reports on DX12 performance makes absolutely no sense.

The Windows 10 builds have been around for almost a year now. There are no great mysteries left about it's performance. It is hands-down faster in every way that it could be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Delayed
2. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Delayed Mar 23, 2015, 11:46 descender

Looks like more of the same... which is basically fine with this awesome franchise. It would be nice to see them include more playable characters during the main story like they did in Arkham City. Can we just get an entire Nightwing game? KThx.

Never understood why the dev's need to make things so damn shiny though, like everything is covered in saran-wrap.

I disagree about the Shadow of Mordor combat comment below... I found it to be trivial and over-powered at best. Their enemy variety was also severely lacking. The knife guys and tossed environment objects in Arkham city were more of a challenge to deal with than 95% of the Captains in SoM.

The limitations in how you could damage guys in SoM was more of an annoyance than anything else.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 22, 2015, 20:12 descender

I have not seen a positive review on it yet.

Almost every review of "Reign of Kings" is positive, and it's 3:1 positive on Steam user reviews. The only negativity I can find about it are people still whining about the last game they tried to make.

News Comments > Hearthstone Blackrock Mountain Pre-Purchase Bonus
11. Re: Hearthstone Blackrock Mountain Pre-Purchase Bonus Mar 21, 2015, 16:05 descender

When the other expansions were up for pre-order you couldn't see a gold price yet either. I haven't noticed them mention a gold purchase for this one anywhere though, and the price seems a little steep.

I'll definitely go back to playing cardhunter if they fracture the free-to-play decks away from the paid ones.

News Comments > Hearthstone Blackrock Mountain Pre-Purchase Bonus
5. Re: Hearthstone Blackrock Mountain Pre-Purchase Bonus Mar 20, 2015, 21:47 descender

You should really only play enough casual/ranked to get 150 gold to play Arena. You get a pack every time and you only need 3 wins to guarantee you earn your other 50 back. Arena is the best way to not only build your collection but also give you a good feel for the entire collection of cards that you don't actually own.

As you mentioned, Rank 20 is easy to attain for the backs... and I wouldn't bother trying to attain much more than that until you have a pretty decent pile of Legendary cards and a really solid feel for the decks and metagame. There isn't much point to just losing to netdecks constantly, and you could be earning considerably more gold getting to 6-7+ wins in Arena.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Mar 20, 2015, 21:16 descender

Day of The Tentacle. That remake can't come soon enough.  

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
118. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 19, 2015, 02:50 descender

Creston - I got that "coffee filter" thing to work up to around 50k people, but something happened between 50-60k when I started redoing some areas of my town and it crashed down to about 20k people before it stabilized.

Of course it crashed while I was attempting to convert my city to... This... madness.

I haven't copied the exact thing verbatim (where's the fun in that?) but the main concept is alive and well in my city. One way in, One way out, split the "in's" with one way intersections through multiple levels before you actually get to a traffic light/stopsign so traffic doesn't even slow down until it's deep into the city, and the exit ramp is nested still deeper. This keeps traffic flowing in basically one direction in and through the industrial area. It's a little rough at first to get used to and plan out (and I nearly bankrupted/crashed my city doing it, turns out redistricting level3 zones is really painful for your budget if you aren't paying attention), but I've now adapted it to every sector of my city and I'm slowly re-growing (just back to about 40k now after a loooong session of fixing it).

City feeder - Create exit ramps with the "3L highway" pieces, not the exit/service ramp pieces. After ~2 segments (adjust for traffic density) convert directly to 6W1L and have the two ramps meet in a reverse-Y intersection (2 full segments of 6L1W seems to be needed just before the intersection so you don't have problems with lane switching). This alternates your incoming traffic via 12 lanes which is basically more than enough to clear the highway ramps and get the trucks into the city cleanly.

City Exit - 6W1L out, split to 2 "highway pieces" (one for each direction, and run them as ramps back to your highway. Only the last piece that touches the highway should be changed to an exitramp/service road. Whatever those things are.

You can see both of these concepts in these animated images in the link.

At this point I've basically taken the "coffee filter" method to the highway meta level and have my feeders only connect to certain areas of the city (which are not connected in any way other than via the highways).

I need to take some screenshots of what I've built at this point, it's nearly impossible to explain correctly :p

I have noticed that revamping the highways/ramps is basically a necessity. For starters, they are too close together and I do a lot of left-lane entrancing. Doing exit right-lane followed by entrance left-lane (or vice versa, obviously) seems to be the fastest method to handling highway ramps that I've found so far. If you exit/entrance in the same lane you will run into problems because the drivers seem to change lanes 50 miles before their destination in this game.

Stealing the concepts for these feeder/exit ramps I just linked has helped me tremendously. Unfortunately I seem to need to fudge them almost every time, so the time I've spent creating these things in the asset editor has been kind of a waste. I can create a complete highway junction in mere minutes now though, horay for practice.

OK, maybe I'll actually sleep tonight. Maybe.

101. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 13:48 descender

I don't know exactly how long his particular example would continue to work. I had to rebuild parts of it to fit my situation and eventually used larger roads than he did. Seems to work well at larger volumes if you use highway pieces to perform the split.

The problem usually arises from the first traffic light (and their inability to make a right turn to a one way road from the left lane... come on!) so I am making everything one way on my main artery (with offshoots) to the middle of the city, and then allow 2-way traffic on the other side.

After talking over this, I need to go back and redesign some things

I was making 35K a week at 25K population or so.

I'm not seeing that much because I'm probably overdoing the public services.

News Comments > Into the Black
26. Re: Into the Black Mar 17, 2015, 12:38 descender

Unless you were going to add discrete characters to represent the values of 10 and 11, it wouldn't make much sense to do anything outside of the base10 system.  

News Comments > Into the Black
23. Re: Into the Black Mar 17, 2015, 12:01 descender

Can you count out those arguments on your fingers for me ItBurn?  

89. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 09:49 descender

My biggest problem is always the fucking garbage trucks.

Truth :p I had tried to set up a connector that would let the garbage trucks travel from the industrial area to the residential area but I couldn't stop the regular traffic from going "through" the industrial area. Roads that we could mark as "service vehicles only" would be a pretty sweet mod.

Rather than trying to centralize the incinerators in the industrial park for pollution purposes I split them between the two areas so they each have their own garbage collection. I also put them as far away from the entrance/exit of the areas as possible. This stops the garbage trucks from travelling on the connectors between the areas and causing unneeded traffic. (Note: an important part of that splitter is only putting commercial buildings on the "exit" of the industrial park so that residents don't drive around/through it for shopping purposes.

Once you get incinerators up, make sure you empty all of those extra landfills you made and remove them. You really only need 1 (i left one in industrial, and one in residential just because) once you are burning all the garbage. Another tip... if you empty a landfill to move it... make sure you hit the button to stop emptying it or they will never stop emptying it and 15 of your trucks will be useless.

My biggest problem so far is fires... and funding... No matter where I put the fire departments and no matter the funding level... buildings just burn down all the time. I wedged an "extra" fire/police/hospital just before the traffic splitter (in addition to the ones spread throughout the city) so they can help cover any overworked areas but it just doesn't seem to matter much.

Every time I start to catch back up in funding I need to plop down another school/fire/PD/etc and I can't seem to catch up to my budget to enact any policies without going bankrupt. Maybe I just have to be OK with a little more crime and fire in my town :p

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
6. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 16, 2015, 18:52 descender

I think this sort of technology actually makes you "smarter", but also considerably less "filled with useless facts and statistics".

Repeating easily reference facts has absolutely no bearing on intelligence in my eyes.

Smartphones (have little to do with it...) The Internet frees your mind up from spending time on rote memorization to allow you to think freely on new concepts and ideas.

News Comments > Reloaded Games Acquires Hawken
16. Re: Reloaded Games Acquires Hawken Mar 16, 2015, 18:45 descender

Please don't mention SHOGO

I will only mention that SHOGO is included in todays 70%off sale on GOG.

Hawken was pretty disappointing IMO. It feels more like playing quake with "walk" and "low gravity" turned on than it feels like stomping around in a mech.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Mar 16, 2015, 18:44 descender

is so far distorting what those words mean

This is gamergate! Distortion is the name of the game.

Seriously laughing out loud that anyone thinks there will be some sort of legal ramifications to any of this silliness. There are myriad massive cover-ups and frauds in this country that go unnoticed and untouched daily, but this... this HAS to be nailed to the senate door!

LOL.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2015, 18:38 descender

Clean drinking water is going to cause more wars than Oil, and soon.

Collecting rainwater is and has been a major issue since way before corporations started selling it though. It's been illegal in most places for decades because it messes up the local natural aquifers. You can literally cause drought conditions in your area if too many people are doing it. The laws are actually becoming "less intrusive" than they were lately, but they are also being enforced more than they ever were too.

The better question to ask yourself is... why the fuck do so many people essentially live in a desert? Time to pack up and move to somewhere actually habitable or you will forever be fighting with resource problems.

82. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 16, 2015, 17:16 descender

split the traffic right at the start, and don't let it get back together.

This is essentially the feeder I set up i described below.

Split the traffic right away. One path to industrial... use 1 ways streets connected by 2 way "ends" to create your "industrial box" and then have an exit go back to the highway. Along the exit, create a ramp that feeds back in before the original split. The trucks can wheel around your industrial area all they want, and then feed out successfully. The people working in the industrial area take the connector back to the splitter, and then go home via the residential feeders. I set up basically the same system for the residential feeder, and my traffic flows beautifully (and no trucks ever go in the residential area for the most part).

I essentially stole this idea from here: http://goo.gl/n5gLLL (A similar workshop entry: http://goo.gl/1N4tmQ)

I couldn't recreate his exact implementation so I had to fudge a few things (and added an extra loop back connector that he didn't use)... maybe I'll try to screenshot it later.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 16, 2015, 11:52 descender

Just like every other company that offers P2P patching, you can simply turn it off.

It's mainly there for people living in areas that don't get good speeds directly from MS.

Pretty disingenuous if they have it "enabled" by default though.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 16, 2015, 11:49 descender

I'd love to know what other games you think were GOTY worthy if you don't mind expanding on your answer.

With all of the early access shit going on I've really not kept up much outside of the major releases. I kind of checked out of indie games for the last year or so... once they greenlighted greenlight it was just too much to keep track of.

I feel like I have probably missed some "must-play 2014" experiences somewhere.

77. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 16, 2015, 11:02 descender

I made a pretty nifty traffic splitter last night to funnel all truck/industrial traffic to a separate set of roads from the residential areas. Pretty damn awesome, really enjoying it so far.

I've kind of stalled out at around 30k people on my first city, which is also where I learned that you run out of natural resources like Oil... surprise, your Oil power plants are no longer running! Bzzzzt.

News Comments > Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support
8. Re: Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support Mar 14, 2015, 17:15 descender

I don't think you live in the real world Cutter. What are you rambling about Steam as DRM for? He's not even saying that using DRM is a waste of time, he's saying there are better, more subtle ways to handle it than trying to simply encrypt/verify access to the game or requiring online connections.

This guy is talking about utilizing post release support to combat piracy.

Providing hundreds of GB of patches to your customers is not "simple" or cheap for anyone, and there are a myriad of benefits to Steam for both the consumer and the developer. You simply have your head too far up your own ass trying to blanket "everything DRM" as a bad thing to see the forest for the trees.

You want to pretend that offering a GOG DRM free version of the game is going to significantly increase their sales and reduce piracy, and that's just silly. Walling in access to mods via the Steam workshop and offering the game on an extremely popular and convenient service is how you beat pirates. Not by sticking your head in the sand or throwing your hands in the air.

930 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo