Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 1131 (Pro)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > More Arkham Knight Issues; GMG on Possible Refunds
47. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jun 25, 2015, 17:22 descender

There is pretty clearly stuttering and hitching in your video (most obvious driving up the ramp to the top street level). I think the issue here is that some people either don't care or can't see it... I don't know. What passes for "acceptable performance" obviously means different things to different people.

I had a friend over the other day and I was bitching about how GTA5 stutters on my PC (almost like a pulse every few seconds) and he looked at me like I had 3 heads, he couldn't see it at all.

That's on my shit PC though... If I had your rig, I don't think I would be OK with the way the game seems to be running.

Side note: the car strafing looks so fuckin cheesy

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Portal Stories: Mel Released
4. Re: Portal Stories: Mel Released Jun 25, 2015, 15:41 descender

Valve FPS 3. The Combine unleash a virus that turns everyone into zombies that are obsessed with solving convoluted puzzles.

There ya go Gabe... You can just paypal me the royalties.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
21. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 25, 2015, 15:39 descender

JD you and your facts... :p

I agree that they basically charged him with the wrong thing initially. At least that part has been cleared up (this is where the 14 year charge came from for those that only read headlines).

This guy already had a string of priors, known gang ties, and was on probation. He was basically going to get the maximum allowed sentence no matter which charge stuck.

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 25, 2015, 13:52 descender

It's hard to come up with any "intent" here other than attempting to bring the chopper down. You could technically call that "attempted murder", especially if it was a plane with a few hundred people on board.

Even then... Who's to say that 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years are enough though? How does one even quantify that? Just having the conviction on your record is enough to ruin most of the rest of your life... the amount of time you are actually jailed doesn't seem that important... especially for a technically "non-violent offense" if you don't believe that it is attempted murder.

Incarceration accomplishes nothing in the long run. Is this sort of "lesson" somehow worth the $200k+ a year in taxpayer money it will cost to jail him?

Pretty easy to play devils advocate on all sides of something like this... with no right answer readily available. The only thing that is clear-cut is that people need to stop doing shit like this. The result will end up being the ban of sale of all green-laser devices. Fun spoiled for everyone.

EDIT: Blue is feisty today! lol

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 25, 2015, 13:16 descender

The hell is wrong with you harlock? Green laser light can and absolutely does do damage your retinas. Did you even bother to look that up? /SMH

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2015, 11:07 descender

How would you ever know if something is click-bait when you clearly never click on them to read them? The word gravity does not even appear in that article, so you are complaining about claim they never made.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 25, 2015, 10:17 descender

Sigh... i had really hoped after FIFA15 got the upgrade to the new Ignite engine and was pretty well received that regular releases of EA sports games would be coming back to PC. Guess not.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2015, 14:04 descender

It's kind of crazy how aware that lion is about how a sliding glass door opens...  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 24, 2015, 13:44 descender

Having one competitor in a market is really... no competition at all. The inevitable result is that once one of the companies gains enough of a leg up that will leverage that into nearly full market share (see: MS vs Apple).

The video card market is an oligopoly (as are most U.S. consumer markets these days) where every move nVidia makes is directly related to and in response to a move that AMD makes, and vice-versa. They don't actually have to account for any other outside factors that would benefit the consumer in a more competitive market.

For one brief period in time there were 3 options... you could buy 3DFX, nVidia or ATI... and that was that. If AMD folds up show I wouldn't really expect too much to change, competitive practices haven't been driving the video card market for a long time anyway.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 24, 2015, 10:07 descender

I noticed that the Google photo app is doing something similar to this now too, even with the facial recognition options turned off.

There are some pretty robust facial recognition systems out there now... this shouldn't really be surprising. Stadium security systems can pick a single face out of thousands... even retailers are using them for identifying customers that have been flagged for theft.

Some systems go as far as being able to recognize faces in the reflection in your cornea. Pretty crazy stuff.

"Avoiding Facebook" to try to keep your face out of these systems is rather pointless.

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2015, 11:08.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Specs Updated; AMD Issues Noted
24. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Specs Updated; AMD Issues Noted Jun 22, 2015, 19:25 descender

Still UE3, still same game... specs went up.

Please buy moar hardware!

I don't believe these specs for a minute lol, they are almost as stupid as the GTA5 specs were.

News Comments > Batman Arkham Knight Launch Trailer
8. Re: Batman Arkham Knight Launch Trailer Jun 22, 2015, 15:28 descender

That's... a pretty strange line for someone to draw who has nicknamed himself after James Bond... the closest person in fiction/canon to Batman I can think of.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs
15. Re: Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs Jun 22, 2015, 15:08 descender

They will finally have to decouple the physics timing from the frame-rate lock. One more step closer to a proper optimized and functioning engine... Only 3 games and 9 years in the making!

I really am holding out no hope for this game, I'm so fucking done with Gamebryo's buggy shit. They need to start fresh with a new engine before they are going to sniff more than $20 of my money ever again.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Specs Updated; AMD Issues Noted
7. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Specs Updated; AMD Issues Noted Jun 22, 2015, 14:56 descender

AMD seems to have more problems than anything. Every time a new game comes out there is either a special AMD patch or a driver update required to get it to stop crashing and perform correctly.

Their drivers are basically held together by spit and dried bird poop.

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Trailer
17. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 21, 2015, 10:02 descender

That article is from like 2 days after release, back when they were still lying through their teeth about their "cloud processing" and some other features that we now know were not actually implemented in any meaningful way to Titanfall.

in the best case, it gets rid of a frame of latency there

That is exactly how much I am willing to believe they improved the "latency" in source, "a frame". They are not actually talking about networking latency there anyway. I believe they attempted to improve "input latency" since they were artificially locking themselves in to using triple-buffering, but actually altering the netcode? No way. Nothing specific mentioned and nothing else they claimed about the games revamped technology really turned out to be relevant in action.

I think there is more of a confusion of terms here than anything else. "Latency" has many factors, not limited to but including the netcode. The netcode controls hit-detection, and hit-detection works WAY better in source than most other engines (frostbite being the main competitor). So... maybe that's what I should have actually said. Frostbite does server based hit-detection, which is why you can get shot after you've already safely reached cover. This never happens in a source game.

Yes, I understand Frostbite has more to keep track of but no, I don't think that excuses them from trying to track more things than they can actually handle because they are basically using full server-side hit detection (like planetside2 did) and that is the worst™. IMO there is nothing more frustrating in MP FPS than the server telling you something different than what you see on your screen.

EDIT: Dirty Bomb runs on the Unreal engine, which has the worst possible netcode and latency issues of the 3 main options. I do appreciate the article though, it was an interesting read. Thank you.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2015, 10:08.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm PTR Next Week
2. Re: Heroes of the Storm PTR Next Week Jun 20, 2015, 10:42 descender

just one guy fucking up is enough to throw the game

So... MOBA working as intended? :p

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Trailer
11. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 10:28 descender

laggy and imprecise like TF2
not suitable for fast-paced gameplay

You must play games on some other planet. Source has the most consistent and solid netcode in the business.

I really don't understand that comment at all lol... Frostbite has the most horrible netcode (shoot 3 feet behind your enemy to continue) in existence and I don't know what other "fast paced" multiplayer FPS engine you could be referring to. UE3 didn't even attempt lag compensation.

On topic: Dirty bomb looks to be about as generic as it could be. Both games are pretty blatant TF2 rip-offs, and neither of them are going to be very successful.

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
15. Re: Overwatch Trailer Jun 18, 2015, 13:37 descender

I was kind of excited for this at first (minus the UI spam and FOV), but I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario where I would want to spend my time playing this instead of TF2.

I'm quietly hoping that the Source2 beta extends from DOTA2 to TF2/CSGO for a little refresh. Everything they described about the new engine has me drooling.

News Comments > Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded
23. Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded Jun 16, 2015, 13:05 descender

Sigh, I've been dying for a few Dreamcast follow-ups. Powerstone 3, Skies of Arcadia 2... Oooga Booga! Seriously, that was a game (with surprisingly fun party multiplayer).

Shenmue 3 will do just fine for now though

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 15, 2015, 16:27 descender

Only real reason I (anyone?) still use Sprint is the unlimited data (which was recently speculated to be going away in the future so this could be the beginning of the end for that anyway).

Sprint's coverage map is kind of a moot point, you get 100% free voice + data roaming anyway... so anywhere other phones actually have data service you tend to as well.

All that aside, when I was living on LI the service was god awful, couldn't drive 15 minutes in the most populated and expensive suburb in America without losing data signal a few times. I looked into switching to Verizon last year when my contract was up and the extra coverage area just couldn't justify the huge increase in monthly charge over Sprint. I'd rather just not be a able to get data on my phone in certain areas than pay through the nose for it.

I also refuse to sign up for one of those cheapo ~$50-$60 plans Verizon/AT&T/Sprint have been pushing lately, where you "lease/rent" the phone instead of signing a 2 year contract... because I can do math. All of the new plan sales seem to be geared towards this payment plan bullshit, so it can't possibly be a good thing for the consumer.

1131 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo