Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 714 (Apprentice)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 17, 2014, 11:11 descender

Pretty sure this is not intended to sell Intel "cpu's"... it's just an entertainment kiosk in the store... just like the demo video game consoles and phones and car radios and TV's and... everything else in a BestBuy.

It's simply in-store advertising.

They want you to end up buying the PC with an intel CPU. I imagine they are still seeing competition from AMD on the low end desktops (read: least informed and most easily swayed buyers who miught change their mind based on the last shiny thing they saw).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2014, 17:29 descender

I think all of the marvel films are considerably well cast, you're crazy Cutter. Iron man, captain america, fury, the new hulk/banner are all nearly perfect casting jobs... spiderman needs some work but could be worse... it's not Toby MacGuire so there's that. Sure there are more lower budget crap Marvel movies... but is that more than bad Batman and Superman movies? I don't think so!

Marvel is basically wiping the floor with DC Comic movies quality-wise. I'm sure there are lots of fanboy ties to your youth... but outside of the Batman and Superman franchises (which laugh at you mercilessly for thinking that somehow any other 2 comic book heroes on the planet are more "over-monetized")... DC Comics has one good movie? Watchmen? Maybe two? The better "DC" movies are all DC Imprints or Graphic Novels and not actually comics... Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Red 1+2, Road to Perdition, History of Violence... none of those are regular DC stables.

DC comic heroes are generally uninteresting. They should focus their movies on their stable of villains, who are considerably more entertaining than their heroes.

EDIT: Jamie Foxx was fine as Electro... he didn't write the bad movie he was in so who knows what he may have done with it. Ben Affleck only plays Ben Affleck in movies and is likely going to out-Clooney the Batman role. Can he be possibly be more bland than the guy playing Superman, though? Only time will tell!

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released
7. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released Oct 14, 2014, 12:18 descender

3 games, still 1 skill button. GTFO.  

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
79. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 18:00 descender

Lighting, color, contrast and saturation are what make a movie look good and look "like a movie". They are used to create mood and atmosphere independent of the actual sets (models) you are using. Hell, even the "film grain" is an actual 'cinematic effect'.

Frame-rate is simply not producing the effect it is being given credit for here. If it was, they would be locking the frame-rate to 24FPS and not 30. Why are they adding 6 frames per second and "ruining the cinematic experience"?

Visually, locking the frame-rate low allows them to apply blur to each motion scene and cover up how poorly detailed their game actually is. This is what the 24FPS "movie effect" is all about, even though they are actually filmed (and have been for years) at much higher frame-rates.

These guys are using a last gen engine on 'next gen' hardware and can't make the game look good at 60fps? Buyer Beware.

News Comments > Evolve Alpha Testing This Month
7. Re: Evolve Alpha Testing This Month Oct 9, 2014, 14:14 descender

The list of games my HTPC (gtx285) could not run at or near max graphics settings as of the beginning of THIS year was exactly ZERO... and now it's suddenly ALL of them and it's not even a matter of them running poorly, they simply don't launch. You don't see a problem with that? It never got to a point where I ever even had to run a game on "low". Sure I have to disable DoF or AO sometimes, but the games still work perfectly fine without those options (key word here, options) because they are merely eye-candy. Eye candy that should be readily disabled if I choose to.

Is it not optimal? Or simply not optimized... There is a huge difference there. All these new games seem to have arbitrarily raised required specs.. as if there is any game out there that really needs a quad core processor when most games (especially ports) still don't even take advantage of 2 threads, let alone 4+.

Every card released just before DX11 dropped supports dx10/10.1, which is not 12 years old and owners of those cards have been completely shafted by this "forced upgrade". Having the OPTION is all I want... especially since the game engines didn't just suddenly stop running dx9, they chose to disable it. One of the most popular games in the world still supports DX8 FFS. I'll decide how low I have to turn the graphics down to reach an acceptable level of performance... but without the option to do so I'm simply shafted. What they have created here is a new arbitrarily raised floor. Nvidia/ATI are very likely behind this drop of DX9 support, who else would be?

One of the foundations of PC gaming was and always has been backwards compatibility. That no longer seem to be the case and it's very sad.

Apparently what should have actually been done was to buy a console 5 years ago instead of a pc graphics card. I would be in the same exact position right now, $400 behind being able to play the newest games on my TV.

Meh... Time to finally check out those in-home streaming options I guess. :/

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Premium Edition Announced
19. Re: Battlefield 4 Premium Edition Announced Oct 9, 2014, 13:47 descender

Priority position in server queues

Do they offer this as a feature to anyone that already owns the game and buys DLC's? Or does it come with the subscription?

I feel like that should be a bigger deal than it is being made out to be... considering how we all feel about "net neutrality" rules and this is basically... the same thing.

I'd be pissed as all hell if I already spent $60 on this game (as if those people weren't pissed off already).

49. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 13:36 descender

What are these "some things" that are better than a game running smoothly? 30FPS looks absolutely obvious and awful, unless you spend 100% of your gaming time on a television. More frames "up to a certain extent" are always better.

My guess is that they did something stupid like tie the physics or game speed to the framerate a la Skyrim... and that's why it requires multiple console commands to make the higher framerate work instead of just turning off the frame limiter. (edit: nkd's suggestion of misguided artistry certainly rings true as well).

The difference between 30fps and 60+ is pretty stark. No one was asking for, needs or even wants 2000FPS. I WOULD like more than 30 though, since I can see the stuttering between frames at 30 and there is nothing "cinematic" about that at all.

This game is just an obviously shit port. Trying to defend their decision to make a shit port is just a waste of your time.

43. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 13:26 descender

Well then, it seems like spending money in this game is "not supported" as well. Shame.  

News Comments > Evolve Alpha Testing This Month
5. Re: Evolve Alpha Testing This Month Oct 9, 2014, 13:19 descender

2 different teams, controlling different characters with different skills, attempting different objectives simultaneously. Asymmetrical, just like L4D. Symmetrical shooters are TF2, CS, CoDoodie etc. Pretty obvious.

As for the notion that 4v1 isn't "fun"... well, it's hardly 4v1 in the traditional sense, considering the 1 is a ridiculously more powerful monster than the 4 regular players in every phase of the game except the first ~minute of the match. So... yes... I suppose if you play by yourself all the time then a Co-Op team shooter is probably not the best use of your time. Just like pubs got consistently steamrolled in L4D if you didn't have a few friends to play with.

I was in the last beta, and this game is tons of fun. I'm just disappointed that it's "yet another next-gen" game dropping DX9 support for no reason whatsoever.

I'd feel alot better about the netcode if it was not running on CryEngine. Source (L4D) may look dated, but backwards compatibility and netcode were things it never, ever, ever had a problem with. It's just sad to see the new console generation being used as an excuse to stop developing DX9 completely (which really doesn't follow in a logical sense since they are still making 360/ps3 versions of the game like shadows of mordor did).

News Comments > Path of Exile Boasts 7M Players
2. Re: Path of Exile Boasts 7M Players Sep 26, 2014, 11:25 descender

They must have a lot of non-steam users, as their concurrent users mark barely ever reaches 15k, let alone 100k.

Good for them though, that's approaching TF2/CS levels of popularity if it's true.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2014, 11:30.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans
14. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans Sep 26, 2014, 11:18 descender

I don't see "6GB of vram" and think "wow that must look amazing!"...

I think... "wow, how fucking bad are the programmers these days that they need 6GB of VRAM".

The same way bad ports from 360/ps3 games "required" massive amounts of CPU to run on PC because they were so poorly optimized, it looks like texture memory is the next thing to go flying off the rails. Are they using completely uncompressed textures or something?

I don't understand how the amount of memory they are using could have increased so tremendously, while the games simply don't look any better than older PC games. Is it going to look better than Skyrim did running on a 1GB video card? I highly doubt that it will.

EDIT: Complete LOL that it is a screenshot of the fucking settings menu, and not of the game running on ultra settings.

News Comments > Steam Music Leaves Beta
15. Re: Steam Music Leaves Beta Sep 25, 2014, 12:15 descender

I'm sure version 1 of other music players were missing some key features as well. This is something I expect them to easily and quickly improve upon.

Also something I will probably never, ever use. I don't know why but I've never listened to external music while playing games. I need to hear footsteps and bullets flying around, I don't have time for your drum solo!

And doesn't spotify specifically make it impossible for any external player to reach it? They released their own player to make it stream to winamp... but knocking the steam UI for not being able to access something spotify doesn't want you to access seem disingenuous.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2014, 14:21.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2014, 12:09 descender

It's sad to see WD fall off so badly.. I've used WD Black drives exclusively for about ~10-15 years now (I have about 8 40gb/80gb/160gb ones sitting in a box somewhere, 2 1TB and 1 2TB live in my machine along with 2 10k raptors). They've all ran flawlessly for me, and only got replaced when more space was needed.

One of my 10k RPM velociraptors just started spitting a SMART error after running in raid0 for about 5 years non-stop. First time I've run into anything and the drive is actually still functioning perfectly from what I can tell (yes I have backed up and am prepared for failure).

I've been hemming over buying the new hard drives I need as these are all full... been waiting for the next "leap" in storage space. 3-4TB drives don't really interest me, but a 10 or 20tb drive certainly would. Anyone have any inkling of when that may be a reality? I've been waiting for what seems like years at this point.

General Discussion > NFL Week Four
4. Bye week starter Sep 25, 2014, 12:03 descender

Peyton bye week...
My choices were:
Tannehill vs OAK (in london)
Eli vs Skins (on thursday)
Bridgewater vs ATL (pray for waiver claim, unlikely)

So far I went with Eli tonight... tell me I'm crazy. :p

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
26. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 24, 2014, 12:33 descender

LOL the tea party news network.

When is anyone going to take pictures of an hour later, when all of that garbage was actually cleaned up by volunteers from the march?

Oh, I supposed there's no 'gotcha' moment there so no one will care.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 23, 2014, 15:42 descender

That video is fantastic.

If 1998 wasn't the pinnacle of gaming as a whole, I don't know what is.

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 23, 2014, 15:26 descender

You couldn't have possibly thought that linking to Dailymail and the NY Post for 'climate science' was a good idea.

How can you possibly be so uncertain how the climate actually works, yet so completely certain that we are not doing anything to influence it?

There is absolutely nothing to gain through hard-nosed denial of human-caused impact on climate, no matter the scale... unless you making money off of causing it.

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 23, 2014, 13:32 descender

All of 140 people have watched that youtube video, I'm sure his opinion is "swaying the masses". If every community were accountable for it's biggest nutcase, then I doubt anyone would be worth listening to. In California houses are actually burning down, there are huge droughts going on in the western part of the US... but yeah, this guy in the polar bear costume must but disprove everything!

It's funny to see how the oil industry has flipped the script on it's minions... from denialism to counter-activism. The global cooling crowd is now making the opposite unfounded claims based on the same incomplete data that they tried to crucify the "warmers" with for decades.

Does it really matter if it's warming or cooling? If it changes, in either direction... billions of people are fucked. If we are doing something that alters it one way or the other, we should probably stop doing it. We should do our best to find out if it is true... not just point fingers at each other...

With China's industrial revolution happening now, and Africa's probably right around the corner... man-made carbon pollution is going to hit levels never seen before. You can pretend that won't effect anything in a negative way, but it won't work for long.

News Comments > PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+ Free Week on Steam
2. Re: PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+ Free Week on Steam Sep 22, 2014, 22:30 descender

My absolute favorite version of pacman. For $3 ($5 bundled with all dlc) this is a must buy.

The trailers make it look a lot faster and out of control than it actually plays. Most of the game is following patterns, switching back and forth from one side of the board to the other. Game speed 50 in the trailers is not something you will be touching at the beginning, and by the time you do... you will be entirely too zen to notice.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2014, 00:43.

News Comments > Steam Discovery Update
17. Re: Steam Discovery Update Sep 22, 2014, 22:21 descender

Click on community hub then discussions

It's been this way for months.

714 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo