Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 1464 (Pro)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2016, 20:12 descender

The same problem of what... wanting to irresponsibly drink and drive outside of your means to do so? Does the world owe you a beer at the expense of you maybe killing someone on your way home? Get the fuck out of here lol... you can buy the beer and go the fuck home and drink it there if you can't arrange for a cab or any other way of consuming it safely.

Living in the boonies is not an excuse to place other people's lives at risk for your own amusement.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups
36. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 8, 2016, 20:06 descender

Slick manifested his computer out of thin air and definitely did not purchase it from a retailer that took any cut of it's sale price.

What a fucking buffoon.

34. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 8, 2016, 04:49 descender

How are you defending a company who doesn't give a penny of their billions of revenue to actually fund the games they sell?

Just stop man. Do you have a clue what a retail store is or does? They don't participate in the products creation or development, they sell it and take a cut. Get your naive head out of your naive ass.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2016, 11:10 descender

This announcement has practically nothing to do with the F35. The A-10 schedule was only pushed to be phased out early during the sequester budget slashing nonsense. Now that is over and they aren't pushing to end the run of the plane early anymore.

The A-10 will be replaced by the F-35 and practically nothing will change that, it's just a matter of when they finally let it happen and the roll out will be slooow. All of the A-10's aren't going to suddenly disappear from our military one Tuesday in May... but they most certainly won't be all phased out by 2022 or even 2024. Eventually they may even stop trying to use the F-35 like they used an A-10 and maybe then we will finally know what it is and isn't capable of :p

Send in the drones before the ground troops get there and you won't need this type of air support in the first place. Manned aircraft are an endangered species.

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2016, 11:17.

31. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 6, 2016, 10:29 descender

Hardware manufacturers absolutely jumped the gun. They built hardware for software that wasn't finished yet. Valve delayed it and it's Valve's fault those hardware manufacturers still wanted to sell it? That's laughable at best. Valve doesn't sell a steambox, and they literally only link to 1 product in their own store.

Are you purposely highlighting that you have no idea what percentage developers paid to their publishers from their profits? Stamping those CD's wasn't free and that distribution network was a majority of what publishers were "funding". Publishers also do mean things like demand that you produce results. Lots of companies are very clearly more willing to pay the 30% to valve than you think (duh) than to put up with shit like that. Hence... all of greenlight and early access.

I'm glad you think you've thought this through, but nothing you are saying is actually happening in the real world. If publishing houses were still in demand in the way they used to be... well... now it's far easier to just collect some free EA or kickstarter money up front than it is to deal with deadlines and contracts.

You can attempt to belittle what Valve provides for that 30% but... that's your opinion but I (and a majority of game developers today) don't share it.

It seems like you only care that Valve doesn't provide up-front funding (and then subsequently demand products be released on Valve's schedule, not the developers). How would that be a better situation for the game developers? Those publishing houses didn't provide any up-front money they didn't fully expect to recoup with their cut of the sales. In the end the money ends up in the same hands in both situations.

27. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 10:31 descender

SteamOS porting over 1000 games to linux is a "debacle" now? Just because you don't understand or have a use for something doesn't make it a pointless endeavour. They haven't "sunk any money" into building a "home theater PC", they invested in building a piece of software. SteamOS. Other stupid companies jumped the shark too early and tried to sell cheap SteamBox's before the software is really ready. I saw those "MS garden" comments as just an excuse to start a project that they were probably already planning on doing.

Now... Valve contributes "nothing" to the games that they host on Steam?

Rolleyes Come on that's not even...

The entire Steam ecosystem is available to their hosted developers from sales and content delivery to Steamworks integrated multiplayer and community organization... that shit isn't free. I'm sorry you don't think that's worth a 30% cut but Valve is a business not some video game charity organization that exists to provide you with unlimited access to your games.

I'm all for choice, but you have to understand what is given up the more games fracture into smaller distribution networks. Steam exploded the PC gaming market, not the other way around. A lot of the infrastructure that Valve provides for small to medium sized development houses is essential for bringing certain games to market and keeping development costs down. It's also important for maintaining player-bases for multiplayer games that would die off long before their due without the exposure to millions of faces. You can't have it both ways. You deal with the centralized single ecosystem style environment that Steam (and Origin/Battlenet/etc to lesser extents) provides and all the things you hate about that, or PC games become are more expensive to produce and distribute again because they have to use (and develop, and host) their own multiplayer services and chat systems etc for every single little game.

People "cheer for Valve" because they are providing an incredible service to a "kids industry" that has never been taken seriously before the past decade. Are they perfect? No, and they don't have to be. In the end their goal is no different than the other services you want to champion as the "bastions of hope". They all want to take their cut of your money. For now at least, the convenience Steam provides far outweighs the bad.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2016, 10:37.

News Comments > Overwatch Closed Beta Returns Next Week
6. Re: Overwatch Closed Beta Returns Next Week Feb 4, 2016, 18:10 descender

That was a great video Sepharo. I loved the way he described Winston, it's exactly the way I view playing a pyro in TF2. I might not kill much but I'll make a goddamn mess of things while my team does something useful. :p  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 4, 2016, 13:58 descender

Yeah, I would (completely naively) hope that a judge would instantly recognize this as a SLAPP lawsuit and just throw it out.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 4, 2016, 12:47 descender

This won't go anywhere, their entire "lawsuit" is.... WAAAAAAAAAAAA with some tears mixed in. I'm surprised BC is even as worried as they seemingly are.  

News Comments > Overwatch Closed Beta Returns Next Week
4. Re: Overwatch Closed Beta Returns Next Week Feb 4, 2016, 12:28 descender

Overwatch might be prettier than TF2 but come on... it's got miles of work to go to be "better"... The entire UX needed to be changed so you can actually see WTF is going on, it still needs custom hosted servers and mods and a million other "PC centric" features just to catch up.

What does "it needs a MOBA mode" even mean? Multiplayer (check) Online (check) Battle (check) Arena (check). *crickets*... Do you think it needs features that heavily sway the game in the direction of the most skilled players? No thanks :p Most people enjoy a simpler and more level playing field to getting trounced because 2 of my teammates fed someone. Multiplayer games that too heavily favor the most hardcore of players tend to have extremely short lifespans.

Of course it's a total ripoff of TF2, the game that basically does everything right. More FPS games should be TF2 ripoffs instead of Call of Doodie ripoffs. It isn't one of the longest running and most popular FPS games in existence by accident. Blizzard doesn't really do "original ideas" though. They work within established concepts and streamline/improve that experience (C&C->War/Starcraft, Telengard->Diablo, Magic->Hearthstone, MOBA->HotS, MMO->WoW). Overwatch fits their mold perfectly.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2016, 13:59.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Feb 4, 2016, 12:00 descender

In total, £180.9 million was spent by devs on fully certificated titles in the UK/EEA, with £548 million used to create interim projects, to a total of £728.9 million.

This is only tax relief for UK based game developers Creston. Don't be a cutter :p

News Comments > Hearthstone Adds New Standard Mode
13. Re: Hearthstone Adds New Standard Mode Feb 3, 2016, 17:07 descender

I'm thinking it may now be getting too complicated for their target market.

I already checked out 2 adventures ago. I've zero interest in attempting to organize 1000+ cards into a usable deck anymore. This mode is pointless and only serves the most dedicated players who will have the newest cards available to them... making this a really fucking stupid move.

They need more stuff like the pre-made decks mode or they are going to be left with a very tiny userbase of very harcore players very quickly.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Jan 28, 2016, 09:07 descender

Let me know when you learn how to do math and keep your ignorant 'insults' to yourself.

There may be 10 times the people there, but there isn't 10 times the money. There are small rich pockets in some of those countries but the majority of those countries are slums with little infrastructure. That money needs to be reinvested, not driving microtransaction sales.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2016, 20:25 descender

I was planning on seeing it one more time, maybe I'll take a ride up to Montreal to unfairly contribute to this conversation :p  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jan 27, 2016, 20:22 descender

Southeast asia is responsible for:
#2 CrossFire (counterstrike for poors)
#3 Dungeon Fighter Online (no idea)
#6 Lineage I (former US mmo moved overseas)
#7 Maplestory (no idea)

The worst part is that these people definitely shouldn't be spending this money on this crap considering the state of the places they live.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2016, 20:17 descender

Yeah, but that's not really how you do it with numbers. Those numbers are basically meaningless (and why I included the other numbers in the order I did).

TFA has already trumped Avatar's ENTIRE domestic gross for it's ENTIRE release period... in 5 weeks. It doesn't matter how much it slows down, TFA has already had more faces in front of it. If no one else in the US sees it starting now... it still made more money. The same exact thing will be shown in the worldwide numbers when they are released, there is no real reason to expect otherwise. Avatar had a nice slow decline because it's 3D novelty was unique at the time and there wasn't as much hype so there was no rush to see it during the holiday season.

Avatar did 90% of it's domestic gross in the first 10 weeks, so we'll probably know by the end of February if TFA caught up internationally.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 27, 2016, 19:30 descender

That is a crazy amount of money for effectively... skins and impatience.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jan 27, 2016, 19:15 descender

It didn't even go halfway, pretty crazy. I highly doubt that was the first time he fired it though, because that's how you science.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2016, 19:00 descender

I'm bored.

Domestic Gross $'s:
TFA (total gross): $881m
TFA (first 5 weeks): $863m
TFA (first 2 weeks): $651m

Safe to say that people in much more of a rush to see TGA when it opened and way more people saw it.

Avatar is leading overseas where it earned $2billion in 34 weeks.
TFA hasn't been out for 6 weeks yet and has already earned half that overseas.

Do movies run longer in other countries or something? How was Avatar in Theaters that long?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars7.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2016, 20:19.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 27, 2016, 09:05 descender

Money under the table to directly influence a players performance? That sounds EXACTLY like FIFA... this guy got the full experience.  

1464 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo