Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 739 (Apprentice)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Season 1 Ends Next Week (Probably)
8. Re: Diablo III Season 1 Ends Next Week (Probably) Jan 28, 2015, 19:35 descender

Totally! They are such assholes for adding features that their players want to their game.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hearthstone Undertaker Card Nerf
7. Re: Hearthstone Undertaker Card Nerf Jan 28, 2015, 19:31 descender

None of those things you said are really true. There are plenty of hard removals, silence and other ways of completely circumventing powerful cards.

There is no real problem with Hearthstone except that it's new and it hasn't been expanded on for 15 years. Give it a minute.

News Comments > Hearthstone Undertaker Card Nerf
5. Re: Hearthstone Undertaker Card Nerf Jan 28, 2015, 19:28 descender

They'd be better off pushing out more content, that effectively overwrites the unbalanced stuff with newer items/objects.

No way. The only reason that was ever done was because you couldn't change a physical card, which is why the pile on method of balance was adopted by MTG et al. Hearthstone is not constrained by the limitations of physical cards, and balance can simply happen with card changes and dust refunds.

You don't pile on more overpowered cards to stop the last overpowered cards. You just fix it.

They have been doing a great job addressing overpowered deck combinations. Lots of balance changes is a good thing, it means they are paying attention. I can't believe someone would complain about that :p

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Tavern Songs & Sheet Music for Free
10. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Tavern Songs & Sheet Music for Free Jan 26, 2015, 23:26 descender

... but if they all installed Origin, EA would probably stop giving away so many games for free.

Lol_dies Coughing

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record
20. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 23:16 descender

The netcode in PS2 certainly doesn't feel like real time.

I keep trying to love this game and the direction of the patches has been good... but then the hit detection and gun spray reminds me why I always stop playing after about 2 hours.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
17. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 21, 2015, 08:43 descender

Whats the thing with procedural generation anyway

Well you basically have 2 options in development. Create all of the content for your game, or create a way to generate content for your game.

Somehow "randomly generated content" became synonymous with "infinitely repayable" but in practice it's more like "infinitely repetitive".

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2015, 14:37 descender

Combofix should only ever be run as a last resort on a machine that you have exhausted every other method of removing spy/malware from... and only on a machine that you have no intention of recovering data from.

It was originally designed for XP and hasn't really ever been "safe" to run on any other OS since.

TDSSKiller + Malwarebytes + Spybot.
If that didn't remove it, you are probably reinstalling windows.

Superantispyware and AVG and KAV and most of the others are simply a waste of time as they will hardly ever remove a complete infection on their own (and obviously, none of them can stop an infection. NONE of them.)

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta
20. Re: Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta Jan 16, 2015, 11:10 descender

Why do you need to have all of the heroes unlocked in a week if you haven't even spent 2 hours playing each one to figure out which ones you like?

Again, the issue lies with your expectation of being able to unlock and access all of the content in a FREE game in 1 week. You are so deadset on being able to access 100% of the content on day-1 you don't even seem to care that you wouldn't physically be able to play all of it in the first week anyway.

Maybe you shouldn't be trying to jump in to ranked games with heroes you don't know how to play either. Learn how to play them... by the time you do you'll have unlocked all of the skills and you'll have forgotten what you were complaining about.

18. Re: Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta Jan 15, 2015, 15:29 descender

It takes maybe 10-12 games against bots to level a hero up to 4, where you get the last part of the skill tree. Way less than that if you are playing PvP or are partied up with someone. This is completely meaningless and irrelevant anyway since it takes at least that many games to learn how to play a character to begin with. This helps new players learn a character instead of overwhelming them with skill choices and gradually introduces the character to you over a set of games. You get to play the character in its basic form first and them more advanced options become available as you become familiar with the character. I can't believe someone is actually complaining about this. It takes so few games to unlock the full skill tree on each character that I can't seriously believe you've played this game much.

because it's forcing me to commit to a character I may not enjoy to see if unlocked abilities would make me enjoy them instead

No one is forcing you to commit to anything other than playing the game. They let you play a random set of characters... for free... you can level them up while they are free to see if you like them... and THEN you can decide if you want to pay for them or not. I'm not seeing an issue here other than impatience again.

I don't think you've spent that much time with this game, or at least you aren't thinking seriously about your complaint. DOTA2 is the only F2P game I know of that gives away the entire hero pool for free like that. If DOTA2 were made by any company other than Valve, then the game would initially cost $20-$40... or the heroes wouldn't be free... I'm pretty sure it couldn't be both. Unlocking heroes by playing the game is a widely used model and your complaint that "this particular game" gouges harder than others simply rings hollow.

Blizzard is not Valve. That's your complaint? Duly noted.

15. Re: Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta Jan 15, 2015, 08:48 descender

Their pricing model is gouging beyond gouging, and having 90% of the gameplay locked behind a paywall is utterly infuriating.

I don't agree with this at all. This is a F2P game and I'm fairly sure their model isn't built around you buying every character at launch. Hell, it would be pretty stupid for you to buy and unlock heroes you don't know how to use yet with real money that you could instead be earning completely free.

Every character is available for $0. The only thing you actually have to spend money on is your own impatience or cosmetic nonsense like skins/mounts.

If you are truly impatient, there are bundles. $5 gets you 3 basic heroes, $40 gets you 8 heroes and some skins/mounts. or $40 for a 3 pack of some slightly more desirable heroes. Like every other F2P moba game ever, the newer or more interesting/desirable characters/trinkets cost more. This should be no surprise to anyone.

Also... you get free gold. Constantly. Daily quests get you playing different types of heroes for free gold, and leveling everything up (the heroes and your account) gets you more free gold. I'm sitting on like 10k right now because I'm basically only leveling the free heroes up to 4 and then playing a different guy. Have you really played every single guy already to the point where you know which ones you need to spend money on to own outside of the free rotation? Some quick math tells me that you currently get 22.5k gold from leveling every hero up to 5 when they are free and leveling your account up to 10... plus whatever you start with. Enough to unlock 2 premium heroes or a few cheaper ones.

I feel like the biggest gripe that most people seem to have about these free-to-play games is their own expectations of what they should be getting for free vs what they should be paying for without ever considering the fact that you don't HAVE TO pay for anything... ever. They see the wall of heroes available and think "damn, I want to play ALL of these guys".... but is that even realistic? I've been playing LoL since beta and there have always been characters in the pool that I had never caught on free rotation or played... and the sky didn't fall. I can still play competitively if I need to with the ones I do have access too (of which I have over 50 characters unlocked completely free with IP). Maybe it's just me... Warthunder, Warframe, PoE, TF2/Loadout, LOL/HON/DOTA2/HOTS, Hearthstone/Cardhunter, Payload.... the list goes on... all free games with cash shops that I've never spent a dollar in on anything I could unlock for free.

Why be so intent on giving your dollars away? If you don't have enough time to play the game to unlock the free stuff... how are you going to have enough time to play the stuff you are going to pay to unlock faster anyway?!

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2015, 09:07.

6. Re: Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta Jan 14, 2015, 10:46 descender

By the time this gets into release, MOBA's will be on the decline.

I remember the same being said about MMO's when they were preparing to launch WoW.

Not that this should or could achieve that level of success, you can't count it out just because MOBA's are popular and they are a little late to the party. Blizzard still has ridiculously good brand recognition and that will score them millions of players regardless of how good the game actually is.

HotS is more than OK in my book, it removes a lot of the grief and annoying bits of other MOBA's and allows everyone to focus more on the fun stuff... map control, objectives and teamfights. I really enjoy the different map styles as well. After countless matches over 15 years in other MOBA's... I never want to play that standard 3 lane DOTA style map ever again.
The hero pool leaves something to be desired, but I definitely prefer less characters with more distinct and important differences to the league of legends 700 hero "balance by obscurity" approach.

News Comments > Evolve System Specs
25. Re: Evolve System Specs Jan 13, 2015, 18:16 descender

Dev's stopped compressing everything as much as they could on to install media YEARS ago as a deterrent to piracy. Pretty sure that's not new news.

Also... I wouldn't consider a 1 generation gap for video card and CPU "ridiculously low" min to max specs at all. Scalability used to mean if you had a PC, it would generally run in some fashion or another. There is no real reason that they couldn't run this game on considerably lower specs (maybe not a lower cpu, but definitely GPU) other than they basically suck and didn't feel like giving us that option.

If you actually consider what the specs here are... they are all over the place and make little sense among themselves... especially for the graphical fidelity in this game.
Requires a DX11 card but only requires 1GB of VRAM?
Requires a 64bit CPU yet only require 4GB of system RAM?
They are basically arbitrarily "requiring" you to have a new system that can still actually be considerably slower than older systems that are just on the wrong side of their cut-offs.

They don't even seem to care if it could run on lower specs because they basically didn't even bother to find out if it would. These system requirements scream "made up on a friday afternoon" to me, and DX11 is the only real requirement on this list at all.

17. Re: Evolve System Specs Jan 12, 2015, 16:33 descender

SLI isn't just unsupported, it's unplayable.

LOL... Cryengine.

There is nothing really sinister behind the 50GB install, just lazy devs and an extremely weak way to stem piracy. Games have always and forever immediately ballooned to the size of the media they are sold on with no justification or real reason... just like they immediately balloon the min requirements when a new console launches.

They don't care if it could or would run on less, they aren't selling that option to you anymore. Graphics engine scalability was swallowed up by the console/PC war, and we lost.

4. Re: Evolve System Specs Jan 12, 2015, 13:04 descender

4K @ 60HZ can only be run through displayport. HDMI only support 4k@30hz.

Something is going to have to give there before I'm getting a 4K monitor.

News Comments > Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball Next Month; User Ratings Soar
4. Re: Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball Next Month; User Ratings Soar Jan 10, 2015, 13:02 descender

This game is pure awesome fun and needs/deserves more support... not... unnecessary speculation that they are somehow cheating the review system (leave your tinfoil hats at the door).

Why does it matter how many of the positive reviews may or may not be legit in the first place? There are only 3 negative reviews among 523 (accounting for a grand total of 5 gameplay hours). That is not "gaming the system", that is an overwhelmingly positive response from an overwhelmingly critical public.

Peak player numbers are essentially useless, especially for an early access alpha with zero advertising or promotion going on. Maybe the purpose of purchasing early access is lost on some people, but I always took it as an opportunity to participate, improve and help polish the final stages of a game. If you are looking for a complete gaming experience with hundreds of thousands of people to play against well, you're doing it wrong.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 13:25 descender

Basting doesn't actually help in any way, the liquid you are "basting with" evaporates quickly. It certainly doesn't get absorbed into any meat, increasing any amount of juciness along the way. The only wayt o keep your bird juicy is to never go over your target temperatures (150F for white meat, 175F for dark meat).

Basting is a definite no go if you want crispy skin.

Kenji has all of the required and physically functional methods of turkey cooking laid out at SeriousEats... Spatchcock, sans roasting pan... flipping... none of these methods involve any basting at all.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 24, 2014, 22:25 descender

Some retailers retain purchaseable listings for the adapter and/or bundle with extended shipping times, suggesting further shipments are on the way. Frys will accept orders for the GameCube adapter for the normal price of $19.99 today, but units are not expected to ship until December.

It's like.. you could have RTFA... but you didn't.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 23, 2014, 12:46 descender

They ARE sold out and people ARE buying them to use with smash brothers... so... no bullshit?

With 8 player support most people are just pulling out old wavebirds/gamecube controllers to play with more people... hence the adapters being sold out. How many people do you know that own 8 Wii U Pro Controllers? Or Old Classic controllers? The pro controller is infinitely more comfortable and is probably the one you should be using anyway... not the tiny, cornered classic controller.

In other news, 8 player Smash is pure insanity.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective
98. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 23, 2014, 11:55 descender

Because the PS4 controller still sucks for FPS relative to the Xbox controllers

Thumbsdown That's like, your opinion man. There is no meaningful physical difference in either controller that would actually matter to an FPS player.

It's simply a matter of preference between the parallel thumbsticks or not, and I have NO idea why anyone would prefer the xbone/x360 controller... but I don't have tiny baby hands so maybe that matters.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned
23. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned Nov 23, 2014, 11:53 descender

still holds on to their CRTs

Nothing wrong with continuing to use a superior product.

739 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo