Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for descender

Real Name descender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/descender
Signed On Feb 24, 2011, 19:58
Total Comments 724 (Apprentice)
User ID 56185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 13:25 descender

Basting doesn't actually help in any way, the liquid you are "basting with" evaporates quickly. It certainly doesn't get absorbed into any meat, increasing any amount of juciness along the way. The only wayt o keep your bird juicy is to never go over your target temperatures (150F for white meat, 175F for dark meat).

Basting is a definite no go if you want crispy skin.

Kenji has all of the required and physically functional methods of turkey cooking laid out at SeriousEats... Spatchcock, sans roasting pan... flipping... none of these methods involve any basting at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 24, 2014, 22:25 descender

Some retailers retain purchaseable listings for the adapter and/or bundle with extended shipping times, suggesting further shipments are on the way. Frys will accept orders for the GameCube adapter for the normal price of $19.99 today, but units are not expected to ship until December.

It's like.. you could have RTFA... but you didn't.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 23, 2014, 12:46 descender

They ARE sold out and people ARE buying them to use with smash brothers... so... no bullshit?

With 8 player support most people are just pulling out old wavebirds/gamecube controllers to play with more people... hence the adapters being sold out. How many people do you know that own 8 Wii U Pro Controllers? Or Old Classic controllers? The pro controller is infinitely more comfortable and is probably the one you should be using anyway... not the tiny, cornered classic controller.

In other news, 8 player Smash is pure insanity.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective
98. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 23, 2014, 11:55 descender

Because the PS4 controller still sucks for FPS relative to the Xbox controllers

Thumbsdown That's like, your opinion man. There is no meaningful physical difference in either controller that would actually matter to an FPS player.

It's simply a matter of preference between the parallel thumbsticks or not, and I have NO idea why anyone would prefer the xbone/x360 controller... but I don't have tiny baby hands so maybe that matters.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned
23. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned Nov 23, 2014, 11:53 descender

still holds on to their CRTs

Nothing wrong with continuing to use a superior product.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
101. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 16:00 descender

The agreements you click on when you decide to back a project don't protect you in the ways you are claiming, Cutter.

Specific game features would have to be agreed upon and signed by all parties involved every time they were changed if that was the case.

You only get blanket "in good faith" protection from kickstarter. There is going to be no legal recourse here at all.

EDIT:
There were new rules in like September? The new rules list the stipulations that a creator must meet in order to fail the delivery of a project without being subject to legal action. They are:

Creators must post an update that explains what work has been done, how funds were used, and what prevents them from finishing the project as planned.
They must "work diligently and in good faith to bring the project to the best possible conclusion in a timeframe thatís communicated to backers."
They must be able to demonstrate appropriate use of funds and have "made every reasonable effort to complete the project as promised."
They must have acted honestly, and have made no material misrepresentations in their communication to backers.
Finally, creators must offer to return any remaining funds to backers who have not received their reward (in proportion to the amounts pledged), or else explain how those funds will be used to complete the project in some alternate form.

THAT is what you have agreed to. Nothing else beyond that agreement protects you. Kickstarter is increasingly careful about this to protect themselves and the 'creators'

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2014, 16:27.

88. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 15:29 descender

please don't equate that to "You shouldn't ever use Kickstarter"

And don't equate 3 words in my post with the entire meaning of my post.

If you are planning on complaining about the return on your kickstarter investment, just don't use it in the first place. I think that's a pretty obvious take-away from this story.

62. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 14:22 descender

Why? Because one prominent project goes belly up?

Because it's bad practice and bad habit for developers to be able to rely on what is essentially completely risk free public funding.

Because you have no protections what-so-ever and the point is not that one project went belly up, it's that they all could and there is little that could be done about it.

If you want to donate money to a company to fund them, that's OK... but understand what you are doing. You are donating money to them, giving it to them completely risk and return free... and hoping for the best.

54. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 14:10 descender

Stop. Using. Kickstarter.

At the very least... stop being surprised when things don't go the way that you imagined they would in your head.

This is exactly why proper legally bound funding they must answer to and deliver on is actually important in the real world. Handing people money based on mere promises of return, rather than being bound to actually produce what the money was given for... leaves no ground for recourse or remorse.

South Park really nailed this fad to the wall, if you haven't seen the washington redskins episode yet... it's glorious.

News Comments > Hearthstone Expansion Next Month
6. Re: Hearthstone Expansion Next Month Nov 8, 2014, 11:29 descender

It must get extremely boring if you only copy decks other people got to legendary rank with.

p.s. Agent.X7 - Onyxia is a legendary card already. there are a few random 'dragon' cards but nothing useful... yet.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2014, 13:50.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 17, 2014, 11:11 descender

Pretty sure this is not intended to sell Intel "cpu's"... it's just an entertainment kiosk in the store... just like the demo video game consoles and phones and car radios and TV's and... everything else in a BestBuy.

It's simply in-store advertising.

They want you to end up buying the PC with an intel CPU. I imagine they are still seeing competition from AMD on the low end desktops (read: least informed and most easily swayed buyers who miught change their mind based on the last shiny thing they saw).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2014, 17:29 descender

I think all of the marvel films are considerably well cast, you're crazy Cutter. Iron man, captain america, fury, the new hulk/banner are all nearly perfect casting jobs... spiderman needs some work but could be worse... it's not Toby MacGuire so there's that. Sure there are more lower budget crap Marvel movies... but is that more than bad Batman and Superman movies? I don't think so!

Marvel is basically wiping the floor with DC Comic movies quality-wise. I'm sure there are lots of fanboy ties to your youth... but outside of the Batman and Superman franchises (which laugh at you mercilessly for thinking that somehow any other 2 comic book heroes on the planet are more "over-monetized")... DC Comics has one good movie? Watchmen? Maybe two? The better "DC" movies are all DC Imprints or Graphic Novels and not actually comics... Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Red 1+2, Road to Perdition, History of Violence... none of those are regular DC stables.

DC comic heroes are generally uninteresting. They should focus their movies on their stable of villains, who are considerably more entertaining than their heroes.

EDIT: Jamie Foxx was fine as Electro... he didn't write the bad movie he was in so who knows what he may have done with it. Ben Affleck only plays Ben Affleck in movies and is likely going to out-Clooney the Batman role. Can he be possibly be more bland than the guy playing Superman, though? Only time will tell!

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released
7. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released Oct 14, 2014, 12:18 descender

3 games, still 1 skill button. GTFO.  

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
79. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 18:00 descender

Lighting, color, contrast and saturation are what make a movie look good and look "like a movie". They are used to create mood and atmosphere independent of the actual sets (models) you are using. Hell, even the "film grain" is an actual 'cinematic effect'.

Frame-rate is simply not producing the effect it is being given credit for here. If it was, they would be locking the frame-rate to 24FPS and not 30. Why are they adding 6 frames per second and "ruining the cinematic experience"?

Visually, locking the frame-rate low allows them to apply blur to each motion scene and cover up how poorly detailed their game actually is. This is what the 24FPS "movie effect" is all about, even though they are actually filmed (and have been for years) at much higher frame-rates.

These guys are using a last gen engine on 'next gen' hardware and can't make the game look good at 60fps? Buyer Beware.

News Comments > Evolve Alpha Testing This Month
7. Re: Evolve Alpha Testing This Month Oct 9, 2014, 14:14 descender

The list of games my HTPC (gtx285) could not run at or near max graphics settings as of the beginning of THIS year was exactly ZERO... and now it's suddenly ALL of them and it's not even a matter of them running poorly, they simply don't launch. You don't see a problem with that? It never got to a point where I ever even had to run a game on "low". Sure I have to disable DoF or AO sometimes, but the games still work perfectly fine without those options (key word here, options) because they are merely eye-candy. Eye candy that should be readily disabled if I choose to.

Is it not optimal? Or simply not optimized... There is a huge difference there. All these new games seem to have arbitrarily raised required specs.. as if there is any game out there that really needs a quad core processor when most games (especially ports) still don't even take advantage of 2 threads, let alone 4+.

Every card released just before DX11 dropped supports dx10/10.1, which is not 12 years old and owners of those cards have been completely shafted by this "forced upgrade". Having the OPTION is all I want... especially since the game engines didn't just suddenly stop running dx9, they chose to disable it. One of the most popular games in the world still supports DX8 FFS. I'll decide how low I have to turn the graphics down to reach an acceptable level of performance... but without the option to do so I'm simply shafted. What they have created here is a new arbitrarily raised floor. Nvidia/ATI are very likely behind this drop of DX9 support, who else would be?

One of the foundations of PC gaming was and always has been backwards compatibility. That no longer seem to be the case and it's very sad.

Apparently what should have actually been done was to buy a console 5 years ago instead of a pc graphics card. I would be in the same exact position right now, $400 behind being able to play the newest games on my TV.

Meh... Time to finally check out those in-home streaming options I guess. :/

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Premium Edition Announced
19. Re: Battlefield 4 Premium Edition Announced Oct 9, 2014, 13:47 descender

Priority position in server queues

Do they offer this as a feature to anyone that already owns the game and buys DLC's? Or does it come with the subscription?

I feel like that should be a bigger deal than it is being made out to be... considering how we all feel about "net neutrality" rules and this is basically... the same thing.

I'd be pissed as all hell if I already spent $60 on this game (as if those people weren't pissed off already).

49. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 13:36 descender

What are these "some things" that are better than a game running smoothly? 30FPS looks absolutely obvious and awful, unless you spend 100% of your gaming time on a television. More frames "up to a certain extent" are always better.

My guess is that they did something stupid like tie the physics or game speed to the framerate a la Skyrim... and that's why it requires multiple console commands to make the higher framerate work instead of just turning off the frame limiter. (edit: nkd's suggestion of misguided artistry certainly rings true as well).

The difference between 30fps and 60+ is pretty stark. No one was asking for, needs or even wants 2000FPS. I WOULD like more than 30 though, since I can see the stuttering between frames at 30 and there is nothing "cinematic" about that at all.

This game is just an obviously shit port. Trying to defend their decision to make a shit port is just a waste of your time.

43. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 13:26 descender

Well then, it seems like spending money in this game is "not supported" as well. Shame.  

News Comments > Evolve Alpha Testing This Month
5. Re: Evolve Alpha Testing This Month Oct 9, 2014, 13:19 descender

2 different teams, controlling different characters with different skills, attempting different objectives simultaneously. Asymmetrical, just like L4D. Symmetrical shooters are TF2, CS, CoDoodie etc. Pretty obvious.

As for the notion that 4v1 isn't "fun"... well, it's hardly 4v1 in the traditional sense, considering the 1 is a ridiculously more powerful monster than the 4 regular players in every phase of the game except the first ~minute of the match. So... yes... I suppose if you play by yourself all the time then a Co-Op team shooter is probably not the best use of your time. Just like pubs got consistently steamrolled in L4D if you didn't have a few friends to play with.

I was in the last beta, and this game is tons of fun. I'm just disappointed that it's "yet another next-gen" game dropping DX9 support for no reason whatsoever.

I'd feel alot better about the netcode if it was not running on CryEngine. Source (L4D) may look dated, but backwards compatibility and netcode were things it never, ever, ever had a problem with. It's just sad to see the new console generation being used as an excuse to stop developing DX9 completely (which really doesn't follow in a logical sense since they are still making 360/ps3 versions of the game like shadows of mordor did).

News Comments > Path of Exile Boasts 7M Players
2. Re: Path of Exile Boasts 7M Players Sep 26, 2014, 11:25 descender

They must have a lot of non-steam users, as their concurrent users mark barely ever reaches 15k, let alone 100k.

Good for them though, that's approaching TF2/CS levels of popularity if it's true.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2014, 11:30.

724 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo