Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 599 (Apprentice)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Standalone DayZ Coming
49. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 8, 2012, 02:48 Mordecai Walfish

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 14:34:
..also one of my favorite mods since Pirates Vikings and Knights II(which is long dead). Glad to see a full game is being made out of this. Things can only go up from here.

I too am a long-time fan of PVK2, but I still play it regularly, with hopes that it will someday get the attention it deserves.

It always boggled my mind that something so fun and free over steam didn't catch on more than it did.. but I think that primarily has to do with advertising/exposure.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled
23. Re: Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled Aug 6, 2012, 23:26 Mordecai Walfish

Fantaz wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 19:27:
Icewind wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 18:27:
I was working in a Software Etc. when FF7 PC came out and yes, there was really only one bug and a big one: Riva TNT cards (What we call nvidia nowadays I suppose in a way) would fail to show the proper animation for the Odin summon. That's all.

It was fixed in a patch.

The whole of the game was actually very bug free. The "bugs" came later when windows changed its kernel and everyone trying to run it in Windows XP saw that it crashed during the choboco race and prevented completion of the game.

You're really better off playing your PS1 copy on a legal emulator. (Legal so long as you own the game)

The real reason why anyone would want to buy this is for the achievements.

I personally have held off on re-playing FF7 for the better part of a decade in hopes that we would eventually get some solid DRM in the game.

News Comments > THQ Results: InSane Cancelled
16. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 6, 2012, 22:19 Mordecai Walfish

Fixed/Translated:

"By canceling our more creative projects, we feel we can improve focus on churning out minor updates to the same 3 titles on a yearly basis, which remains unchanged." said THQ president Jason Rubin

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 6, 2012, 17:12 Mordecai Walfish

Kobalt wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 15:29:
fyi the button scheme for mk9 is exactly the same as mk1. It doesn't even have the run button from mk3. And sf didnt invent ex moves either.

This is incorrect. Maybe if mk9 was in an *arcade* this would be the case.. but I have never seen an actual mk9 cabinet, have you?

The actuality of the situation is that they changed the button layout from what was used originally in the arcade:

HP--HK
--BL--
LP--LK

Super Nintendo version (This is faithful to arcade original):

HP--HK
LP--LK (shoulder for block)

Current console version:

FP--BP
FK--BK

The buttons still do the same thing, mind you, but they changed the layout of them and the names of the keys even to reflect this. This was only done to appeal to players of street fighter (IV was the most popular fighter at the time of MK9's release) and cater to players who are used to SF's layout, while just casually ditching one of the key differences that set them apart.

I never claimed SF invented the EX Move, I just used it as an example of another thing that Midway saw as being popular in SF at the time and decided to just throw into their game, instead of making any kind of innovation for themselves.

Dont even get me started on the laughable "XRay Moves" or whatever the fuck those were. Press L&R together for ULTIMATE BONE BREAKING COMBOOOO which is really just one of the char's generic special moves (literally no variation in animation or anything) that instantly fires by hitting both triggers and then if it connects, it magically has your character go into "auto-mode" and perform a move that takes 33% of your health off. Yes, it's like a super move, in ways.. but the only difference is.. it's the same cheese-dick "Press L & R" at the same time crap *FOR EVERY CHARACTER*. Literally. This design choice is made to cater to the same crowd that thinks Justin Beiber is a musician, and it makes me lose so much respect for the design team behind (this) Mortal Kombat.

Fucking LAME.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2012, 05:41.

News Comments > Source 2 Engine Hint
26. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 16:48 Mordecai Walfish

bhcompy wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 14:24:
RollinThundr wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 12:02:
Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:57:
Frijoles wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:55:
RollinThundr wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:41:
Never could understand why anyone gave a shit about that engine.

Facial animations. Still spectacular after so many years.

Low poly but fantastic texture handling (leading to fantastic textures), great physics, great animations, and amazing eyes.

Yeah, the low poly worlds are starting to look bad, but that engine lasted a very long time with little up-keep due to the textures and animations.

It was a fairly spectacular engine for anyone that wanted to run well on a very wide range of PCs. That's common now, but wasn't back in 2004.

Fair enough point on facial animations, I dunno I always kinda found the physics to feel really floaty and gimicky but maybe that's just me.

Because it's based on Quake and Quake 2(Quake 2 was super floaty). Doesn't bother me at all. I disable bob anyways.

I think it's beyond just the engine similarities. Design choices were made that accentuated this 'floaty' feeling. Take grenades for example, those seemed incredibly jank in HL2 and just flew around with this overly cheap anti-gravity feeling.

19. Re: Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled Aug 6, 2012, 16:23 Mordecai Walfish

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 14:33:
The original PC release was bug filled? Really? I must have played it oh I dunno 40 or 50 times and never came across a bug, outside of the same bugs that existed on the PS platform. Besides the game looks much better with the bootleg version, besides that? Meh. Shitty? It wasn't any shittier than the PS version.

But I can't quite figure out where or why they want to put DRM on a 13 or is it 14 year old game.

Yes, it had severe issues with the graphics card (dont remember exactly which one) we owned at the time it was released ("3d accelerators" were still pretty new to pc's then though). I remember video playback being *majorly* messed up as well, with the background videos sometimes going completely black (particularly in the hybrid 3d/fmv scenes) Chocobo racing would crash randomly (good reminder to save frequently though!)

And yes, the game was obviously playable from beginning to end (40-50 times!? lol) but claiming that it is as good as or any better than the PSX version just tells me that you probably didn't play it on that platform.

The massive degradation in the FMV alone is reason enough to steer clear of the awful Eidos PC port.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2012, 15:03 Mordecai Walfish

Bhruic wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 14:49:
RollinThundr wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 13:23:
President Obama is demonstrating his ineptness as a leader of the most powerful nation. Unlike Presidents Reagan and Clinton before him, he has no clue how to work with a Congress that doesn't agree with him

Go look up how many times the fillibuster was used during Reagan and Clinton, and how many times it's been used for Obama. You can't "work with Congress" when they've explicitly stated that they are going to actively block every single thing you try and do.

Plenty of bills (this one included) got a majority vote, but not a super-majority (needed to pass a fillibuster).

Exactly.

This is a completely different scene from what Reagan and Clinton dealt with! To point out all of this as being some flaw of the president first and foremost betrays your obvious bias, RollnThundr. He's also a homosexual kenyan spy (black as the ace of spades, he is!) so I guess I could see how easy it is to blame the whole of the nation's problems and the ineptitude of our "leadership" on him.

Romney/Palin 2012!! woo-hoo!

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 6, 2012, 14:51 Mordecai Walfish

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 12:38:
The game is definitely a rip-off.

But rip-offs can still innovate. I tried thinking of an example in the Kartesque genre but couldn't. Maybe Mortal Kombat, as a ripoff of SF2, counts.

I dunno, having trouble thinking of a rip-off that was innovative and went out on its own, but I know some examples exist.

Samurai Shodown was a SF2 "rip off" when it was released with added weapon combat and actually turned out to be a really sweet game. From the sword clashes/alternate combat styles without weapons, to the way you could literally slice your opponent in half with the last strike of the match.. or at the very least trigger some sweet arterial spray.. there was alot to love about Samurai Shodown when it hit the arcades.

Funny you mentioned Mortal Kombat because I just played the "newest" one at a buddy's house last night for the first time, and I have to say its a huge fucking disappointment. They had alot of things that were unique to MK and most of that took a backseat to street fighter ripoff-ery (EX moves & the button layout were the most glaring changes I noticed in the limited time I played)

And as far as "PS Exclusive titles"... they all "come" to PC eventually, just as soon as the EMU's catch up. =)

If I could name one superbly "innovative ripoff" to add to this though.. It would definitely be Lucasarts in the 80's creating graphical adventures like Sierra On-line, but completely modernizing the interface via the excellent SCUMM engine. Now that was a hell of an "innovative ripoff", and changed the entire genre.

13. Re: Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled Aug 6, 2012, 14:29 Mordecai Walfish

The original PC release was bug filled and shite quality.

You'd be better off emulating this now-a-days honestly, unless you have a PS1/2 sitting around to play it on.

Theres even a fan-created FF7-Hard Type available that raises the difficulty considerably if you dont find the original to be much of a challenge..

But whatever you do stay away from the shitty PC version.. learned that lesson over a decade ago, and judging from the craptastic rollout of this one, and the fact that they did not add a single thing to it besides DRM And "achievements", neither of which are worth putting up with such a miserable port.. not by a long shot.

Modern PS1 emu's on the PC can make the original look quite a bit better than the game originally did, it's a win-win.

News Comments > Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift
27. Re: Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift Aug 4, 2012, 05:57 Mordecai Walfish

zombiefan wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 23:28:
The problem with VR setups like this is until you get some sort of unidirectional walking surface under your feet, the level of "reality" you feel will still be diminished. I know because I went through this when I bought my VFX-1 helmet. Even playing in a standing position and using a peripheral to control movement is still wonky and doesn't lend itself to the experience. It doesn't matter how good the headtracking, graphics or 3D effects are, nor how much they increase your field of vision. It won't lend itself well to FPS's, etc, simply because your brain knows you aren't moving.

Now, where this product WILL do better is in games where the character is still and the world moves around you. In other words, flight and driving simulators. Being able to look around a virtual cockpit, glancing into your rear view and side view mirrors, etc. Unfortunately there will still be the lack of g-forces affecting your body, but the effect won't be nearly as pronounced as the movement problems in a FPS. Unless of course you've got your chair sitting in the center of a gyroscope, like a mini version of Star Tours or any similar motion rides. I found where the effect was the most pronounced was when I stood next to the edge of a cliff or chasm and peered over the side, as well as looking down out of the cockpit as you banked left or right. The you *really* felt it.

So ultimately this will still be a gimmick. A pretty gimmick, but a gimmick nonetheless.

People just arent going to walk around on a treadmill to move around in a 3d/vr "game". It's just not feasible in the long-term. For therapeutic purposes this could be an excellent application, or perhaps for less competitive/challenging role-playing type stuff..

More likely will be motion tracking devices like the kinect sensors to take care of that stuff with simple gestures. And if youre looking for force feedback in *any* way here, you better be prepared to pay "Star Tours" type prices for the hardware.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 3, 2012, 23:08 Mordecai Walfish

Fuck Apple.

They may win this "case" but they are losing rapidly in the court of public opinion.

News Comments > Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift
4. Re: Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift Aug 3, 2012, 21:53 Mordecai Walfish

Great news. Now this is a kickstarter I can get 100% behind.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 2, 2012, 23:31 Mordecai Walfish

Matshock wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 21:08:
They keep leaving out what version of DirectX they're referencing. DX9 vs. today's OGL?

Journalism- making people with marketing degrees look smart.

They're obviously talking about the newest currently available implementations of both.

News Comments > GTA Viral Marketing
11. Re: GTA Viral Marketing Aug 2, 2012, 22:55 Mordecai Walfish

Anonymous wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 09:25:
Maybe this time their PC port won't fucking require the textures to be stored in the video card's memory. I disabled that shit and set it on full and, despite the shitty performance pre-Nvidia patch, it ran exactly the fucking same with full detail.

Fucking schmucks.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the graphics options only allowing you to use up to a certain % of your video card's memory, instead of using 1200mb worth of textures on a 512 mb card it restricted you. The command line argument disables that but if you want your shitty performance to look as good as possible I guess that was the only way at the time.

Most games try to dissuade you from cramming 1 gig of textures into 768 or 512 mb of graphics memory.. it's not a bad thing.

That being said I'm really glad I was a late adopter of GTA4 on pc because I heard a lot about the "out of the gate" performance.. or lack thereof.

InBlack wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 09:59:
Dev wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 23:57:
And as usual, it will be consoles first, or only, and PCs to follow a year later if we are lucky. And never if we aren't.

My bet is on never.

I hope you're not a betting man, because this is total FUD.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2012, 00:15 Mordecai Walfish

I'm willing to bet that Zelda cartridge for auction is a scam.

Just read the description for the item it even lists features from the newest zelda (horseback riding and combat) that was an obvious copy/paste.

The question is brought up in the comments of the auction but I really don't think this is legit.

News Comments > GNU Guru: Linux Steam "Unethical"
62. Re: GNU Guru: Linux Steam Jul 31, 2012, 19:04 Mordecai Walfish

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 12:45:
Eh, he does have a point, sort of.

Look at it this way:

Valve is scared of the MS app store that's going to be built into Win 8. They're scared that eventually Steam will be made inconvenient or get locked out somehow. Win 8 is closed source and Valve can't change the OS so they move to Linux. On top of Linux they launch a ton of closed source games, perpetuating the problem they ran from (inability to change source code) on an OS that was built to avoid that very thing.

Stallman might sound crazy and look weird but he has a point.

Valve should give something significant back if they're going to build on top of open source software.

I can only think that with the new hires and such they fully intend to "give something back".

This may be in the form of using their influence with hardware manufacturers to support linux in a (more) stable fashion, or perhaps they will even release their own distro.. who knows..

I dont think Valve is arrogant enough to just jump on the boat with their 500 ton gorilla, without making some re-enforcements to the hull first, and helping to grow the platform.

Our other alternatives are Apple, Google and Microsoft, obviously.. but I am not overly excited about *anything* coming (o/s wise) from these three.. and I'm happy Valve is pushing for a more viable 4th party in that race.

^Drag0n^ wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:13:
Freedom isn't free (TM)

You bet yer balls it isn't. That's the #1 most miscomprehended thing in this discussion IMO.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2012, 19:11.

News Comments > Ubisoft uPlay Security Flaw
29. Re: Ubisoft uPlay Security Flaw Jul 30, 2012, 17:27 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 17:12:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 14:45:
Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 14:36:
What's really baffling is that people apparently said "Yes, that sounds like a GREAT IDEA!" when uplay asked if it could install plugins in their browsers...

Users mindlessly clicking "yes" is the number one reason why PCs are so horribly infected with all kinds of shit.

Creston

Unfortunately, when Steam does the 'first time setup' installation of whatever various runtimes and add-on apps the publisher wants the player to have, it's almost always done in the background with no dialog windows at all...

Admittedly, the only game I ever had that installed Uplay was the latest Assassin's Creed, and I got that outside of Steam. And it simply asked me "Do you want to install our wonderful Uplay add-ins for your browser? It will let you do really awesome stuff, like... ehm... well... erm, really AMAZING STUFF!!!!"

I guess I didn't think about Steam just forcing that shit straight onto your computer. THANKS STEAM!

Creston

I can attest to this, I only had the uplay plugin from installing Anno 2070 a couple weeks ago for the Summer Sale on Steam. No notification of browser plugins whatsoever.

I would leave it up to the publisher/producer to make these kinds of options available to opt-out, as Valve/Steam cannot police the install routines of every installation to prevent them from installing browser plugins. I would say the trust is more broken from UBI (who has control of how their installer deploys, after the initial steam layer)

News Comments > Ubisoft uPlay Security Flaw
28. Re: Ubisoft uPlay Security Flaw Jul 30, 2012, 17:19 Mordecai Walfish

Just got a message on firefox telling me the uplay plugin would be disabled because of security reasons, with this information linked:

Ubisoft Uplay has been blocked for your protection.

Why was it blocked?
Version 1.0.0.0 of the Ubisoft Uplay plugin has a security vulnerability that can be exploited by malicious websites to gain control of the user's system.

Who is affected?
All Firefox users who have this plugin installed.

What does this mean?
Users are strongly encouraged to disable the problematic add-on or plugin, but may choose to continue using it if they accept the risks described.

When Mozilla becomes aware of add-ons, plugins, or other third-party software that seriously compromises Firefox security, stability, or performance and meets certain criteria, the software may be blocked from general use. For more information, please read this support article.

Blocked on July 30, 2012. View block request.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 30, 2012, 17:17 Mordecai Walfish

So Microsoft has had both it's roadmap for the next Xbox and the development kit leaked so far.. and it hasn't even been announced yet!

You know how many FBI agents Apple would have up in this guy's shit right now if it was their IP?

I'm sure he got *much* more than the $10,000 he was originally asking, likely from some shady middleman who has gotten it into Sony or Nintendo's hands.

Interesting start for the ol' MS on this round.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 21:37 Mordecai Walfish

I picked up DayZ a couple of weeks ago during the steam sale, and it's been an absolute blast so far. Currently I have a broken leg and am awaiting a friend on VOIP to come on a rescue mission from our base camp with some morphine.

Only issues I've had are ai/collision glitches with the zombones so far.. i really hope that stuff is worked out soon, but in the meantime I have some good strategies for taking them on =)

Such an epically suspenseful and fun experience though, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to try something "new" in the survival/zombone genre.

599 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo