Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 730 (Apprentice)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 22, 2012, 10:40 Mordecai Walfish

Nevermind the fact that close to half of those 70m units are RROD replacements, lol.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 21, 2012, 17:55 Mordecai Walfish

I can foresee microsoft adding an installation or first-time-run option to use a classic start menu interface instead of metro. Weak sales of standalone O/S and upgrades for a good quarter of a year or so after release should wake them up a bit.

Metro was a huge mistake to make mandatory on Windows 8, as the only ones that will really benefit from the UI are touchscreen users. For anyone using a mouse this is simply an obstacle to efficient desktop usage, IMO.

Or maybe they'll wait until Windows9 to fix this.. who knows.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Oct 21, 2012, 17:46 Mordecai Walfish

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 15:21:
All I see that is noticeable is the adding the shoulder light and "lost levels" content. No textures appear to be redone.

It looked as if the npc's textures were worked on, but nothing else.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Oct 21, 2012, 14:28 Mordecai Walfish

Literally the only thing BFG edition has going or it, IMO, is Oculus Rift support.

The added motion blur looks horrible and I dont see how experts at crafting 3d engines would allow such a detriment to their visuals be enabled by default.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Oct 21, 2012, 14:16 Mordecai Walfish

Strange seeing a M5A99X-EVO review almost a year after it's been on the market..

Great motherboard though, I'm using one right now =)

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option
14. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 21, 2012, 11:32 Mordecai Walfish

007Bistromath wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 01:08:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 20:06:
This is EA, every "feature" that they add after you purchase a product will be half-assed, unless you pay them extra DLC $$ for it.

Thats been their thing for a long while and I certainly won't defend them for the buggy piles of shit they leave most of their games to be.

And if the feature would effectively disable certain scopes and items in the game from working properly, thats probably good enough reason to leave the option out of the menus and require a console command.

Except this isn't an EA problem. This is DICE's guy being a douchecanoe. This is DICE failing to adhere to its own standards of post-release support. If you like the BF series, you fully expect what you get out of the box to be broken. DICE puts effort into things after they're released, and this iteration of the series hasn't been different in that respect so far. They've ironed out alot of bullshit.

Then there's this, which is a blatant middle finger to anyone that doesn't love their stellar art direction. Fixing the issues with removing this filter would be just as easy as removing the filter itself. But they won't, because screw you, customer.

The "issues" at hand here are all cosmetic though.. it's like expecting the Deus Ex: Human Revolution devs to provide an option to remove the gold color filter because some did not prefer it.. something I just don't see as a huge "issue" for a developer after they have spent years creating the visual style they prefer for their own game.

10. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 20, 2012, 20:06 Mordecai Walfish

007Bistromath wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 16:54:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 16:41:
They added a function to the console to enable it because others were using 3rd party tools to do this, and clearly said before that they were banning the use of that mod because it attained the desired effect in a way that could be similarly used for *actual* exploits to the graphics that could potentially give an unfair edge.

But please go ahead and complain more because they added in a feature that many BF3 players desired & were using 3rd party programs previously to attain.

Is it okay if we bitch that they added it in a half-assed way that clearly shows their contempt?

This is EA, every "feature" that they add after you purchase a product will be half-assed, unless you pay them extra DLC $$ for it.

Thats been their thing for a long while and I certainly won't defend them for the buggy piles of shit they leave most of their games to be.

And if the feature would effectively disable certain scopes and items in the game from working properly, thats probably good enough reason to leave the option out of the menus and require a console command.

Dades wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 19:43:
Dice really cares about hackers after all, they've done so much about them in the past.

Dice has the absolute worst track record for cheat prevention/reporting that I can think of in a major multiplayer FPS, I will always agree with that. Taking steps in the right direction.. albeit *very* late in the game, is still better than never.

Hell, they just added the ability to report cheaters through battlelog about a month ago.. and to this day Bad Company 2 (and previous) players have no such system in place. Even when reporting said cheats to EA/Dice, their customers are given the run-around and told to contact Even Balance/Punkbuster personally (I know from going through that fucking 3-ring circus myself). That said.. it's still a good thing that they are addressing this in a more comprehensive manner, even if it is happening almost a year since the game was released.

I just don't believe that adding this feature is a malicious act in any way, as much as I like to believe that EA/Dice are complete evil.

Jesus I'm feeling like I might have to crash nearby church services tomorrow to repent playing devil's advocate for EA

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 20, 2012, 17:18 Mordecai Walfish

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 15:56:
/what people aren't saying is that the reason kids are suspended is that they uploaded the photo to the internet.

That would explain why one of them was expelled then. The punishment seemed overblown, to say the least.. but that would explain it =)

6. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 20, 2012, 16:41 Mordecai Walfish

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 14:05:
So DICE will bitch, moan and ban players when someone comes out and creates a mod to remove the blue-tint but then they go ahead and make one themselves saying there is no advantage in using it.

Okay.

They added a function to the console to enable it because others were using 3rd party tools to do this, and clearly said before that they were banning the use of that mod because it attained the desired effect in a way that could be similarly used for *actual* exploits to the graphics that could potentially give an unfair edge.

But please go ahead and complain more because they added in a feature that many BF3 players desired & were using 3rd party programs previously to attain.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2012, 16:31 Mordecai Walfish

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 15:49:
Your Favourite Video Game Is Probably Part Of This Guy’s Amazing Tattoo.

Too many modern games taking up too much space. Really? A big Ass Creed symbol? geez.

In his defense he also has a massive Bubblun (the green dinosaur from bubble bobble) on there

News Comments > etc.
29. Re: etc. Oct 19, 2012, 17:38 Mordecai Walfish

nin wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 17:21:
Thanks for the link!

Actually Bob found that one!

Well then, thank you too Bob! Been waiting quite a long time for this ^_^

News Comments > etc.
27. Re: etc. Oct 19, 2012, 17:17 Mordecai Walfish

This just in! Geico announces "Kickstarter Insurance" for $3.50/month!

nin wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 15:44:
Coles are up!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption

Oh hell yes. HQ/QFG are some of my fondest memories in adventure gaming. Thanks for the link!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2012, 16:53 Mordecai Walfish

It seems obvious from the 6-step process that a case will be built against users along the course of this process. You will be signing (digitally, physically, or both) off on a course thats been described as "education about copyright law" as part of the 6 step process, and then if you proceed to download protected content again, they will have a clear admission from you already that you understand said laws, yet proceeded to break them anyway.

Even the wording kind of makes this obvious: "The alerts stop after that last level and nothing else happens under the program."

This is an obvious way of saying there will be a separate further action that can follow up the 6 step process, which can be variable based on what evidence has been built during the 6 step process, and exactly what content has been infringed upon. (and perhaps whether the specific content holder(s) are actively pursuing penalties).

That's my take on it, at least.

News Comments > Cyberpunk Becomes Cyberpunk 2077
6. Re: Cyberpunk Becomes Cyberpunk 2077 Oct 19, 2012, 06:29 Mordecai Walfish

CD Project is one of the best devs around nowadays, and Cyberpunk2077 is a project I am *very* happy to hear they are taking on. Man this is gonna rock!  

News Comments > GOG.com Adds OS X Games
14. Re: GOG.com Adds OS X Games Oct 19, 2012, 04:03 Mordecai Walfish

I thought the ad was well done. It took a poke at Apple's "this changes everything" mentality while bringing good games to users of that platform.

Even though I'm not an apple user, this is good news for gamers that are.

News Comments > PAYDAY: The Heist Free Weekend; Sale
4. Re: PAYDAY: The Heist Free Weekend; Sale Oct 19, 2012, 03:53 Mordecai Walfish

Payday is a good game, it just gets somewhat repetitive after a while.

All the more better for a weekend playthrough though, because you can literally play through all of it within that time, with the only downside being not getting all the weapons and advancements.

The best one is the 2nd shotgun you get around level 30, and the magnum which is badass as well, but not always the best pick when you want to be stealthy and not firing off the uber-loud handcannons.

Overall definitely worth a try, but I cant help but think about how much better this would have turned out with proper modding tools so the community could create and share scenarios of their crafting.. that would have made what is already a good game into something very legendary, indeed.

The somewhat non-linear branching missions mostly work and keep the experience fresh for multiple playthroughs on each level, as well as the different ways you can initiate the heists in the first place.

Oh and the difficulty can be suprising at times too.. especially on levels like Heat Street, where normal difficulty is harder than some levels on hard.

Wow I didn't intend to write a review here lol but since I did: 7.2/10 ^_^

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 18, 2012, 13:47 Mordecai Walfish

Me and some buddies have been getting together and celebrating every time we hear of Apple losing one of their frivolous lawsuits.. kind of making a drinking game out of it in a way, heheh.

Tonight's celebratory beverage will be Templeton Rye, and as always.. Fuck You Apple Shots.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 18, 2012, 03:46 Mordecai Walfish

I've been using Avira free and have not had any problems with viruses/malware in the 3 years that i've been using it.. but the problem is that Avira free is actually Adware in itself, and pops up themed sales windows to upgrade to other services of theirs.

Quite f-ing annoying and there used to be a way to block the messages but they've stopped that as well.

Guess it's time for a switch..

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition
14. Re: Don't forget Steam and P2P Multiplayer only. Oct 17, 2012, 01:57 Mordecai Walfish

/redacted

so many silly people in this world. Just gotta let it be ^_^

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2012, 02:08.

News Comments > etc., etc.
17. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2012, 18:40 Mordecai Walfish

Turns out after the first time you run some of these older games you don't even need Origin open to play them.

Tested with Mirror's Edge and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, even online multiplayer is working in Hot Pursuit without Origin open. A totally different account can be open in Origin and everything still works.

730 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo