Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 752 (Graduate)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 11, 2012, 21:18 Mordecai Walfish

"Absolutely. To me a PC is really just a smartphone in another form factor."

Stopped reading about at this point..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Nov 11, 2012, 21:16 Mordecai Walfish

yay for retarded fat redneck wal-mart employees abusing apple products!

hopefully there will be sequels.

News Comments > Descent Fan Remake
14. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 21:06 Mordecai Walfish

It appears they are looking for some help getting this finished in a timely fashion:

"While additional modelers and sound artists are welcome, the project could especially use another VFX and concept artist as well as someone who is adept at making textures and materials."

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews Nov 11, 2012, 07:40 Mordecai Walfish

Prez wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 21:43:
It's around 45 to 60 seconds to load a map for me.

Same here, but that's 1/5 of what the reviewer claimed, and he would have known better if he played the game more than once, as it seemed.

He also showed to be woefully unaware of how the game actually worked, and instead wrote from the viewpoint of someone that played for an hour on marines and then ragequit.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 11, 2012, 00:55 Mordecai Walfish

Flatline wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 04:19:
Verno wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 11:28:
The Vita was a big gamble that is floundering in most regions and the Sony name doesn't have the pull it used to in other markets. Panasonic isn't doing too well either.

The Vita wasn't a big gamble as much as it was a stupid fucking move.

It took everything, and I do mean *everything* that went wrong with the PSP and doubled down on it. Expensive, high end hardware, check. Proprietary memory stick that costs way more than competing memory? Check. Shitty software library? Oh hell yes check. Lack of new IP for the portable (ie just endless portable versions of existing games)? Check. Online library of ancient titles ported at new release prices? Check. Developing, let alone launching, a dedicated hard core handheld without massive 3rd party support? Check. A price tag that puts it in direct competition with smartphones? Check.

The Vita shows me that Sony's gaming division is completely fucking clueless. I'd be afraid of what the PS4 ends up being with this kind of incompetence at the helm.

aah yes, but the system does have alot of potential when jailbroken =)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: World War Z Trailer Nov 10, 2012, 18:26 Mordecai Walfish

Killer Kane wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 14:58:
"Install Quicktime"

...sure, sure I will

I honestly cannot find a single reason that non-mac users would install this terrible program.. it's become almost a joke to most PC users.

Windows users have Quicktime Alternative and CCCP, no bloated apple crap required..

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sine Mora
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sine Mora Nov 10, 2012, 07:42 Mordecai Walfish

After getting into this a bit last night I thought I'd add some specifics here:

First the game is *single player only*. Thats a pretty big letdown after recent multiplayer PC ShMup awesomeness like Jamestown.

Then there's the port..:

The graphics look fine on PC, but there are some issues.. of which the first would be that there is no way to change your resolution in the game, it just plays at whatever your desktop is set at.

One other issue with the port is that on my 120hz monitor (or any, it would seem..), the game runs at double speed.. which, on the bright side, could potentially add a further difficulty level to the game, heheh. Only way to get around it is to change the desktop refresh rate to 60 and then play the game.. an option in the menus would be nice, though if they are going to patch out "double speed mode" on 120 hz I'll probably just keep the original non-patched version for the added difficulty level ^_^

I've only played a couple stages but it seems pretty good so far.

News Comments > Death Rally Free Weekend
8. Re: Death Rally Free Weekend Nov 10, 2012, 06:54 Mordecai Walfish

Orogogus wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 03:47:
"Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart's Super Off Road". Man alive but the rubberbanding in that game made me angry.

Thats the one! I used to play that all the time at a $1 movie theater in Maryland =)

News Comments > Molyneux's Curious PC Curiosity Explanation
8. Re: Molyneux's Curious PC Curiosity Explanation Nov 10, 2012, 00:25 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 23:30:
I have an idea for a game titled 'Stairway to Heaven' where people climb flights of stairs. You just keep going up and up and up to see...well you'll just have to keep climbing and see. Oh yes, there are pair of virtual walking shoes available for 50 grand.

make it like Q-Bert where the layers of steps disappear as you ascend/descend revealing a new layer, and I'm sold =)

6. Re: Death Rally Free Weekend Nov 10, 2012, 00:22 Mordecai Walfish

A couple other racing games I remember enjoying in the arcade that had similar perspectives were "World Rally - Championship", "OverTop", "Drift Out '94", and there was one other, I think it was a truck racing game in small arenas, mostly figure 8 tracks.. it was 4 player.. but I cannot seem to remember the name. (which is funny because it's probably the most popular one out of the ones I've mentioned already)

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Details
22. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Details Nov 9, 2012, 18:29 Mordecai Walfish

ItBurn wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 09:46:
It appears like the customization will be at a minimum in this game because of the three characters.

So because they give you a choice between 3 characters instead of one, customization somehow is at a deficit? I don't see how you could come to that conclusion. I've never played the GTA before that gave me the option of either playing a black guy or a white guy.. guess I missed out.

News Comments > Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Suit
31. Re: Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Sui Nov 9, 2012, 18:23 Mordecai Walfish

Satoru wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 01:25:
double posts about using android emulators for an authenticator..

Not even necessary, there is a program called Winauth that is open source and functions exactly as the smartphone app.

http://code.google.com/p/winauth/

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2012, 18:15 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 17:03:
Speaking of Blu Ray, has anyone gotten the TNG remake on Blu Ray? If so, is it worth it? I'm SO tempted to buy it, but shit, 80 bucks is a lot of money...

Creston

Yes and yes. Great remastering of the original footage and still awesome (well.. for the most part, heheh)

Just finished watching the last episode on the bluray 2 nights ago actually. Forgot all that crazy shit that happens at the end of season 1.

As to whether it is worth $80 is all up to you, I personally saw two of the episodes in theaters before the bluray release so I'm out a bit more than $80 on it.. but well worth it IMO =)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 9, 2012, 17:15 Mordecai Walfish

Beamer wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 14:47:
Optional nickname wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 14:06:
re: Hdd prices after flood.

The flood was a hoax, to stall the market, for everyone was buying 2TB Hdd's that were $4 more expensive than 500GB. Seeing how there were 14 million 500GB still at their HQ in Thailand, some genius staged fake flood conditions.

The flood was not a hoax. Most of WD was underwater. That's not fake, that's fact.
Now, did they take advantage of it? Probably. Did they fake it? Was there a hoax? Absolutely not. WD lost billions due to the flood (and probably made it back with price monkeying.)

One of my main suppliers was offline for almost 6 months. It was a disaster.

It was truly a disaster but WD and others have made up for all of that and more and are now coming to grips with the potential of losing that massive influx in profits and things "going back to normal". They are milking this for all it is worth now, make no mistake.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2012, 16:53 Mordecai Walfish

I'd have to say at least a million and one riders have played Trials Evolution, as I played the shit out of it on a buddy's xbox a couple months ago. Fun game.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sine Mora
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sine Mora Nov 9, 2012, 16:39 Mordecai Walfish

Awesome! Gonna try this now.  

3. Re: Death Rally Free Weekend Nov 9, 2012, 16:38 Mordecai Walfish

Anyone remember Quake Rally? That was one of the first non-fps mods I tried for quake 1, when it was still in beta. Good fun.  

News Comments > Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Suit
12. Re: Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Sui Nov 8, 2012, 23:44 Mordecai Walfish

For an authenticator I just use Winaut  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Details
12. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Details Nov 8, 2012, 18:25 Mordecai Walfish

Breadman86 wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 17:42:
I felt like I had to get dozens of hours into the game before it was worth it to pull a crazy stunt simply because of the cost of death: losing all my weapons and ammo and having to pay a lot of money to buy it all again.

I agree with you about most of the stuff you dislike in GTAIV.. but as someone who regularly does double back-flips across the waters of GTAIV's islands (and dies sometimes in the process), I have to say you have it wrong about the losing of your weapons after death. Only if you get busted by the police does your carried arsenal become impounded..

It would have been nice to have a mechanic where you could stage a heist on the police lockup to get your impounded stuff back though.. or possibly a gun cabinet in one of your properties to store back-up weapons/ammo in case you get arrested.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Nov 8, 2012, 17:40 Mordecai Walfish

TheLeech wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 13:35:
Cutter wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 12:44:
I would have liked to see them try the crazy angle of someone who's never been a gangster or soldier but just an average joe who somehow gets sucked/forced into this crazy world and the all the goings on. As the marines say, improvise, adapt, overcome.

Ah, something along the lines of Breaking Bad? I like where you're going with this. Maybe the character commits a small crime that continues to snowball.

That truly would be a groundbreaking mechanic in a game like this. Make the options for the protagonist initially in the game to either abide by the law and do a sims-type of experience with it, or you can start with the pettiest of petty crimes (littering, speeding, stealing a pack of gum, starting a fistfight, etc..) being the only options available to the character initially and then the options expanding to larger and larger crimes until they are pretty much Scarface. Maybe at the initial stages you can pick fights like Guybrush Threepwood and make a minigame out of insulting an npc until they become infuriated. lol

On the non-criminal side there can be all manner of interaction with the town. Inane jobs to afford other stuff to play with like bikes & cars & arcades could be made into fun minigames of their own. Maybe on the career path you choose you could potentially become a police officer and the police missions from previous GTA's could be integrated with that.. and then if you start committing crimes as a cop, you have an entire "corrupt cop" scenario that can be played through by the player, with steps up to larger and larger things like dealing with gang members & staging a heist on the police impound to recover vast amounts of drugs & guns for syndicates.

There is much room for this genre of games to go.. but are Rockstar or their competitors going to step up to the plate to innovate? Let's hope. There are plenty of ways to make the GTA experience much "fuller".

752 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo