Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 840 (Graduate)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > GeForce Optimizer
21. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 11, 2012, 18:15 Mordecai Walfish

Prez wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 16:58:
...having a program that tells you what kind of FSAA and Anisitropic filtering your machine can handle (if at all) would be a godsend.

I've always wondered what kind of archaic PC someone would need to get any kind of pronounced performance hit from having Anisotropic filtering on 16x. Even the 8800gt gets almost no discernible performance hit from Anisotropic Filtering @ 16x. Maybe it's still made available in settings for integrated GFX users.. Huh

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2012, 22:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free Metro 2033 on Steam
43. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 18:00 Mordecai Walfish

Awesome. Always good to have a dummy facebook account available for stuff like this ^_^.

They tell you to download metro2033.exe and put the key in there, but you can just put it in steam and avoid that step entirely.

Bonus points if you go back to their page and immediately "unlike" after install.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2012, 12:50 Mordecai Walfish

The "collector" who is selling that SNES collection is none other than "byuu", the creater of the bSNES emulator, which is hands down the most accurate emulator available for the SNES, and one of the most impressive emulators ever created, as it replicates the SNES' internal components almost *exactly* cycle-for-cycle, unlike most emulators that use software hacks to get most things working smoothly.

With a program like bSNES under his belt, I can see why he is selling off all his games, as the program literally runs every single one of them as well as the original console did.

News Comments > GeForce Optimizer
8. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 11, 2012, 12:11 Mordecai Walfish

This seems like it could be helpful to complete noobs.. but then you just have to take a quick glance on what Geforce.com lists as "optimal settings" for Battlefield 3 on a GTX480, for example.. and you will see that this actually will do more harm than help in games like this. With their recommended settings you'd be lucky to see 30fps most of the time.

Also discouraging is that this optimizes games to the range of 40-60 FPS (though the BF3 settings listed would make you below 40 most of the time), and has no support for anyone using SLI, 3DVision, or 120hz monitors (everything is specced around the best "experience" @ 60hz, and only those monitors are selectable in the program.)

This is only for the entry-level noob, nothing more.. and even then it is questionable. Good to see the money they're raking in is going towards mostly useless garbage. And it collects "non-personally identifiable information" on your system/programs while you use it. Best to avoid.

News Comments > Medieval CryENGINE 3 Footage
11. Re: Medieval CryENGINE 3 Footage Dec 10, 2012, 17:58 Mordecai Walfish

Dagnamit wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 13:04:
Cryrim!

+1! make it happen!

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
15. Re: BBSes Dec 10, 2012, 00:11 Mordecai Walfish

Ant wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 19:10:
Blue's News was deleted on Wikipedia? WTFrak?

I miss BBS days. Did anyone watch BBS Documentary? http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/ ... It was rad(ical).

Hell yes, and a fine documentary it is! That and 'Get Lamp' are two recent docs I enjoyed immensely that did a good deal of justice to two subjects that are very dear to me.

News Comments > Dark Souls II Announced
15. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 8, 2012, 18:55 Mordecai Walfish

PHJF wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 17:19:
For the most part, if you take it slow, prepare yourself well, and play in survival mode you're going to be fine.

Then you get to a boss which can and will instantly kill you. GG.

Thats actually the point to some of the boss battles, you have to learn the patterns and adapt to them by building a strategy of your own to defeat them, instead of relying on stats & grinding alone to just let you brute-force button mash to win. It's satisfying if you come into the battles with that expectation, IMO. The wanderers from Ys series is notorious for this as well.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Double XP Weekend
9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Double XP Weekend Dec 8, 2012, 18:51 Mordecai Walfish

earned over 150 certs in a little more than 2 hours of playing today. Double xp is awesome. The game should be 1.5-2x xp compared to the default anyway, as it makes it a ton more fun when youre raking in the loot and doing well. I think they starve players so much not just to entice you to spend money on the game, but also for the absurd amount of longevity they expect out of it (13 years+)

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI Shades of Darkness in February
1. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI Shades of Darkness in February Dec 7, 2012, 21:30 Mordecai Walfish

The name seems ominous to me, probably because it closely resembles Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness, one of the buggiest titles I can ever recall playing on release.  

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 15:15 Mordecai Walfish

I wanted GW2 to be my GoTY, but after release and finally playing it I realized that the merry-go-round method of MMO gameplay just gets incredibly boring to me very, very quickly.

I had more fun with Faster Than Light, honestly =)

News Comments > Intel "Committed" to Socketed CPUs for "The Foreseeable Future"
9. Re: Intel Dec 6, 2012, 13:04 Mordecai Walfish

Now if only Intel would create a wikipedia pseudo-article on what exactly their definition of "The Foreseeable Future" is, I guess everyone's mind will officially be at ease.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Dec 5, 2012, 20:10 Mordecai Walfish

Agreed! Sounds like he's had a full life, and his great music is a reflection of that.

This man has penned & performed some true classics.

News Comments > NCsoft Seattle "Realignment"
9. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 4, 2012, 23:51 Mordecai Walfish

Axis wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 21:56:
Looks like you self professed rabid GW2 players aren't as rabid afterall?

The Guild Wars 2 well ran dry *much* sooner than I expected.

What more can you expect from a game that amounts to a MMO Merry-Go-Round? I had more fun exploring than anything else in the game, and once that got old, it all got old.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Reference Drivers
47. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 18:20 Mordecai Walfish

Looks like nVidia updated their site recently and they are now labeled "310.70 - BETA" when you do the standard driver lookup. Interesting that you dont even go through the beta channel and it delivers these to you simply by choosing your gpu and O/S from the page.

Sounds like someone flubbed the release for these, either that or they found something last minute and decided to keep them beta?

Either way, they're working fine for me (only played Planetside 2 and Natural Selection 2 since install)

42. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 17:48 Mordecai Walfish

Elvis wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 17:31:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 13:05:
These are full WHQL

Actually these are WHQL candidate drivers.

Interesting that they came through on the non-beta channel for me.. I thought only WHQL drivers did that.

Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:43:
Interestingly, the Negative LOD Bias Clamp feature (for >= Fermi boards) has been removed in this release.

Welcome back, texture crawl. Yuck.

I saw that too.. I would be interested to know why they did this on Fermi+ geforce cards.

17. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:13 Mordecai Walfish

From the release notes *Known Issues* section:

[PhysX]: After installing the driver, occasionally the PhysX processor selection in the NVIDIA Control Panel is set to CPU instead of AutoSelect (Recommended), resulting in PhysX games running slowly. [1049752]

This is listed for Windows 7/8 32&64-bit, for single-card setups. After the update make sure that physX is set to "Auto Select (Recommended)" in the Control Panel.

8. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 14:30 Mordecai Walfish

Respen wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 14:23:
True, I don't use anything but graphics and physx. I just don't like partially installed software/drivers on my pc. Like I said, annoyed.

Have you tried uninstalling the old drivers/physX completely, then rebooting and installing the newer ones? Also, if bandwidth is not an issue, try re-downloading the package again just to be sure you didn't get some kind of corruption in your download.

EDIT: just re-read your post.. and if it's only 3d vision, the hd audio drivers and nvidia update.. you'll be fine.. unless you do 3d gaming or use the HDMI output on your card for audio. As others have said: Update is pretty much useless (except for it's ability to update to newer control panel game profiles without a complete driver update)

Respen wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 14:23:
True, I don't use anything but graphics and physx. I just don't like partially installed software/drivers on my pc. Like I said, annoyed.

Do the complete uninstall and then when you reboot, use the custom install option in the drivers to only install the base graphics driver and physX. If you find you want to add any of the other stuff like 3d vision or hdmi audio, you can use the installer to install only those portions, and perhaps they will work. Either way, you won't have "partial drivers", you'll just have the drivers that you *need*.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2012, 14:37.

1. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 13:05 Mordecai Walfish

These are full WHQL beta drivers & the first non-beta release 310 driver set. Seems like pretty good improvements all around.

Release notes (PDF) here

EDIT: looks like a flubbed release and they have since been changed to *beta* drivers on Nvidia's website.. although they are distributed in the standard non-beta fashion.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2012, 18:23.

News Comments > Second Antharion Kickstarter
7. Re: Second Antharion Kickstarter Dec 2, 2012, 10:00 Mordecai Walfish

Agreed. The art style in this game looks terrible to me. Unimaginative pogo avatar cartoons that would not be at all out of place on some shitty facebook social game.  

840 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo