Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 599 (Apprentice)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Sep 21, 2012, 12:12 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 21:35:
Fucking LOL! Just seeing that headline sent me into paroxysms of laughter! Holy shitballs that's funny!

Edit: Ok, some good jokes in the comments for that article but this one almost made me pee my pants laughing....

I hope I die peacefully like my grandpa and not screaming and helpless like the other people in the car he was driving.

Ahahahaha!

I thought that comment was especially hilarious too =)

In all seriousness though, with all of the people being plowed over by senior drivers and obvious damage being done to expensive-to-replace structures, we need a system that is able to test for reaction time and judgement be a mandatory part of retiring at a certain age to be able to continue to drive your own vehicle.

Maybe with the recent revolutions in latency-minimized VR we could achieve this in the near future, with realistic simulations and response/accuracy tests for elderly drivers.. this would probably save a life or two, at least.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam EU Legal Conflict
11. Re: Steam EU Legal Conflict Sep 21, 2012, 11:58 Mordecai Walfish

I always thought there was something repugnant about having to agree to a new EULA every time a new goddamn patch comes out for games I've paid money to play, which would completely block me out if I decided not to agree to the new terms of the month.

Thinking about losing an entire steam library over a similar situation would be just about the most fucked up thing amongst any of those "updated EULA's", and I hope the case not only rules against Valve/Steam, but also sets a precedent to be followed in other nations where consumer rights are supposedly "protected".

Like others have said, even the ability to opt-out of a new EULA and just not be able to purchase games from steam anymore would be acceptable, but it's unlikely that would ever happen as they would have to maintain older "pre-updated EULA" versions of steam for customers that decided against this, or perhaps just cut the online tether altogether -- but, would this make it so all the user's multiplayer games are no longer functional as such?

Theres been some very shaky ground here and I'm glad the EU, at least, seems to have the balls (..or attention span) to do something about it.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Sep 20, 2012, 21:27 Mordecai Walfish

Crustacean Soup wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 21:08:
Urgh, Java. Big ol' security risk that is.

Also, see how long that site stays up before Nintendo notices.

Agreed on the java part.. but that site operates without directly providing roms, they only have the emulator hosted there and the roms are provided from various 3rd party sites, loaded on-demand when you play a game.

Interesting tactic that would put the pressure on the actual rom hosting sites, presumably.

nintendo8 has been up for years with no takedowns so far.. anyway

News Comments > Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions
14. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 21:16 Mordecai Walfish

"The landscape is a little different than a few years ago"

Seems to me MMO's were being released and tanking at about the same rate as they are now "a few years ago" (3-5?), maybe it's just the perception that all mmo's have to be f2p now thats changed most? Or perhaps he's just talking about the economy in general..

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 DLC Plans
11. Re: Mass Effect 3 DLC Plans Sep 19, 2012, 15:45 Mordecai Walfish

I still have Mass Effect 1&2 on the backburner in my steam catalog.. probably should get around to playing through those but hearing about 3's ending I think has made me less enthusiastic to play them. Maybe in 2013 ^_^  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2012, 14:24 Mordecai Walfish

I give a go' 'n speak like a scurvy pirate to an unsuspectin' citizen in person at least once ever speak like a pirate day.. I thought 'ery one did  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Server Consolidation
11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Server Consolidation Sep 19, 2012, 14:12 Mordecai Walfish

Heres an idea.. for the next "update" they give the remaining players NPC allies so they can at least pretend there are people to play the game with ^_^  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 19, 2012, 08:33 Mordecai Walfish

space captain wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 21:20:
canada is cold as shit.. mexico is full of psycho fuckheads... japan is expensive as hell.. fiji is lookin pretty good tho... or maybe goa

Goa sure would be an interesting place to live.. good culture and a sorely needed detachment from western influence.

Canada doesnt seem half bad either-- as a person living in the midwest.. how much worse could it be, lol

News Comments > Free Torchlight II Soundtrack
7. Re: Free Torchlight II Soundtrack Sep 19, 2012, 08:11 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 00:58:
2 days! OMG! And I'm playing GW2 and BL2, and have no time for your game!

Creston

The queue is endless! How does one prioritize these gems for sensible consumption.. HOW!?

I still havent finished Skyrim!

News Comments > BioWare Founders Retire
38. Re: BioWare Founders Retire Sep 19, 2012, 05:18 Mordecai Walfish

Bioware sold out a long time ago, and made a ton of money for it. Neither of these founders are contractually obligated to stick around and have jumped the proverbial burning ship.

Hopefully they are satisfied with the amount they made and go on to create something that is true to their creative sides, without the temptation to cash in quick again.

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 19:41:
I expect the franchises to continue but the soul to be lost.

Have you played any of their recent titles? IMO it's just been more formulaic garbage with the primary intent being a revenue stream for EA, not simply "lets make great games", which is what they were once known for.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Beta Plans
2. Re: Steam Hardware Beta Plans Sep 19, 2012, 04:56 Mordecai Walfish

The hardware being developed by Valve is very promising for disabled gamers as well, who commonly hit a brick wall when looking for intuitive alternatives to standard controller designs that can rival a keyboard & mouse.

I'm very much looking forward to what they have to show, whether it be in 1-3 years time, or a decade. Forward progress is still very much a good thing, despite the speed at which it comes.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
47. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 18, 2012, 03:26 Mordecai Walfish

Beamer wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 15:39:
NegaDeath wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 15:27:
I Heart you FTL. You sadistic evil bastard you.

I actually wonder about replayability. I've seen the end ship. I've been throttled by him. But my strategy going in was very good.

Not sure how much more there is to see, or how much motion there can be in my strategy. I feel like I'm towards the end of my playing already.

I got to the end ship for the first time last night with my heavily pimped out engi cruiser, took the last boss down to one hit point and died.. no kidding. And I started right back up from the beginning with the plan b engi ship I had just unlocked, which was quite a bit more difficult than the A-type engi ship.

Such an amazing game though.. word is getting around on this one awfully quick.. and for good reasons!

Beamer wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 20:43:
Yeah, I'd love this on a tablet for my flight tomorrow.
It'd probably need to be turn based, though.

I dont see why turn-based would be necessary.. just a "pause" button seems to work fine =)

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2012, 03:32.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
11. Re: Saturday Consolidation Sep 15, 2012, 16:24 Mordecai Walfish

PHJF wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 14:03:
The hardware has sucked since N64 but they've still had some amazing games. Few and far between lately, though.

Personally, I think the hardware has sucked since the SNES.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Sep 15, 2012, 14:09 Mordecai Walfish

Holy crap that was *really* bad. Half of it looked like rejected outtakes from an enya music video.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light
30. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 13:43 Mordecai Walfish

Dev wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 09:16:
MisterBenn wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 09:00:
Had a first run through last night, this is a great little game. After a decent run just like all roguelikes it's very stressful once it all starts going tits up and you are desperate to survive! In the right hands, the ability to actually lose produces moments of pure magic, it's amazing that more games don't have the option to take advantage of this...
BUT ZOMG! WE CANT LET PLAYERS HAVE CHANCE TO LOSE! We must have invisible walls and automatic saving and loading, and no death sequences!

I've always wondered whats the point of playing an adventure game that doesn't let you die (yeah there's some rare exceptions that make it interesting, but by and large, adventure games where you can lose or die are much more fun IMHO).

Regenerating Hull or GTFO!

News Comments > Black Mesa Released
82. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 15, 2012, 06:40 Mordecai Walfish

Spike wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 01:25:
Was amazed years ago when I saw the first teaser for this but I admit I basically forgot about it over the years. Nice to see it finally released.

Any word on when it's coming out on Steam? I have enough else to keep me busy ATM and I'd rather have it updated automatically/etc on Steam.

When you install it you will have it in steam, and must load it through there as well.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light
18. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 00:58 Mordecai Walfish

Having a blast with this! Funny that I probably never would have heard of FTL if I didnt visit Blues as often as I do..

Thanks for the heads up on this one everyone =)

Tumbler wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 00:54:
Haven't had time to play this in a few days. Glad to see everyone enjoying it. I bought the Wrath of Khan on blu ray the other day, I think I'll get that movie rolling then play this on the laptop...see how that feels.

LOL Nerdgasm

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Patched
71. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Sep 14, 2012, 20:44 Mordecai Walfish

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 12:48:
Kudos to Travellian and NewMaxx for the info links without drama. As a dirty heathen newb I didn't understand how the combos worked. I had heard my guy make some verbal cues about them succeeding (by happy accident) and I saw the combo properties on my ability infocards but didn't know how they fit together. I've done purely PvE thus far and it hadn't really been necessary yet.

Ditto. GW2 is the first MMO I've enjoyed since Ultima Online so I am pretty green on the mechanics, and a couple helpful posts here helped my understanding.. but I think ego is getting bit in the way of some peoples "helpfulness". Whatever though, I havent read any guides, havent scoured the wiki, havent listened to podcasts or reviews.. just hopped in the game to have a fun experience with discovery and exploration. The mechanics will pan out and be learned along the way, I dont need to be a "pro" to enjoy this or have 100% efficiency at everything I do.. in fact that all sounds rather BORING to me so I'll just let the OCD's handle it.

Loving the game so far though =)

News Comments > First Steam Greenlight Selections
71. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 14, 2012, 00:06 Mordecai Walfish

SXO wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 09:00:
OK, this whole thread has turned into one giant discussion/debate about the Black Mesa mod, but there's another question that I think needs to be answered. I've rated every single game on Greenlight, and I'm talking about careful meticulous evaluation that has consumed my life for the past week both at home and at work. And I just want to know one thing, how the heck did McPixel get greenlighted? Who were these people that upvoted it en masse, and why?

Who? Reddit
Why? Gang Mentality/Fanboyism

It's also promoted on the pirate bay's front page with a blurb from the maker and had garnered alot of attention because of his stance & demeanor about people pirating his game.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
18. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Sep 13, 2012, 23:11 Mordecai Walfish

jimnms wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 14:20:
Matshock wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 10:56:
I can see the DL size nearly doubled. What is so different about Windows 8 drivers?

The previous WHQL drivers were 160MB, these are 175MB. A 15MB increase is hardly doubling in size.

Correct.

WHQL 301.42 = ~160MB

WHQL 306.23 = ~175MB

After 310 series drivers the driver size should be a bit more conservative as well, because of them dropping legacy support for anything under the 8000 series GeForce cards (6000 & 7000 series are the only ones being cut)

I dont know what drivers Matshock was comparing these to but geforce drivers havent been under 90MB in a *long* time.

Also I think the driver issue you guys are talking about is the notorious TDR issue, which I've had happen to me only in one game (Team Fortress 2), and has completely resolved itself since. Last time I recall having the issue was around January. Some people reported getting the TDR issue in Firefox but it's never happened to me on 2x8800GT SLI or a GTX480.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2012, 23:16.

599 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo