Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 739 (Apprentice)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 19:03 Mordecai Walfish

Sony just sold their NY headquarters for 1.1 billion..

surely they can afford a couple bucks for 8gb total ram in the PS4. MAKE IT HAPPEN SONY

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
36. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2013, 21:07 Mordecai Walfish

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare for $10 on GMG with this code:

GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK

Can be a very fun game =)

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Plans
14. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Plans Jan 12, 2013, 16:34 Mordecai Walfish

entr0py wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 18:07:
The thing I really care about is proper joystick support. It would be nice to know that they're even working on it, but it doesn't' seem to be a priority.

Agreed. Joystick flying is ridiculously bad right now, but I still force myself to do it as kb/m feel too awkward for flight. I had to lower the sensitivity below what is in the option menu through the .ini to even get the sensitivity on my stick semi-reasonable in the game. The deadzone is also set to 0.000000 in the .ini and there is still a noticeably large deadzone in-game. I use hall-effect sensors in my stick so that's why there's no need for a deadzone. As bad as it is, I still enjoy flying with the stick more right now than with kb/m.. but it's shamefully bad for what they consider to be a released product.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: The 9 Worst Tech Buzzwords of 2012 Dec 27, 2012, 18:08 Mordecai Walfish

nin wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 10:57:
SirKnight wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 10:55:
They forgot one. The word "experience." For some reason, people today use that word way too much and it sounds really stupid. This one is a lot worse than many of the words they picked.

Windows experience, UI experience, touch experience, single player experience, multiplayer experience, video game experience, keyboard experience (yes I recently read that one in a review and I just couldn't believe it).

Why in the fuck does everything have to be an experience now?

I read this post in a George Carlin voice...it worked, wonderfully.

Thanks for that =) Reading this in Carlin's voice is excellent.

Interesting to note is that 3d-film making actually beckons back to the 1800's.. though not motion pictures, of course.

News Comments > Steam Stops Selling The War Z
51. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 21:38 Mordecai Walfish

Final nails: meet coffin. This one is stone dead.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Dec 19, 2012, 21:24 Mordecai Walfish

The warZ is now officially doomed. Final nail is in the coffin and this will not go anywhere.  

43. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 18:40 Mordecai Walfish

I didnt see this anywhere on the site, but nVidia released the official WHQL 310.70 drivers a couple days ago, which strangely enough are ~50mb smaller than the non-whql version I previously got. Maybe this one is 64-bit only and the other had both.. i dunno ^_^

Anyway, link here (64-bit): http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/54625#

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 18, 2012, 22:13 Mordecai Walfish

The product unveiling for their new mobile gpu's seems utterly shameful. They apparently decided to use the arbitrary core count of 384 for their new GPU's only to "match a number" in nvidias, when they should just be trying their best to make better and better GPU's, these just stink of advertising fluff. Look at the graphs for performance even, they are so acutely tailored to only making these GPU's look good on paper as opposed to showing actual performance, that one can only wonder why they are delving into this apparently PR driven new generation in such a shallow fashion. Those graphs start at 0.8 instead of 0 to make these gpu's look like a 2x+ leap in performance, hoping that inquisitive minds (& interested consumers) wont read the fine print.. this whole thing stinks IMO and is not the route AMD should be going down, unless they truly believe themselves that they have little to nothing to work with.  

News Comments > GeForce Optimizer
53. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 15, 2012, 19:13 Mordecai Walfish

Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 10:46:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 06:41:
I use precision x to overclock my gtx-480 by 133mhz on the core and 172mhz for the memory, and to apply a custom fan curve to keep it below 85 degrees when running full power. I did not realize that it auto-applied overclocks to the card when running the "frame target" at a number higher than what your card is capable of. Interesting, but otherwise useless for me because I like to be in control of the overclock being applied.

Here's a bit on the 'dynamic clocking' of PSX

"Frame Rate Target will essentially try and cap the frame rate to whatever you set it to. The clock speeds on the card will automatically dynamically adjust based on what is needed to maintain that frame rate at any given time. So if the demand is lower, then the card will downclock because that's all that it needs to maintain that FPS, or vice versa.. boost the clocks to maintain that frame rate under a more 3D intensive scene, for example. Useful for saving power and also for older games/applications which don't demand super high frame rates..."

My point I'm trying to make is not that PSX is perfect, but the GFO has a surprising lack of functionality compared to not only other programs available, including nvidia's own control panel options.

They never intended this low-level user offering to have advanced features though, I think you are comparing apples to oranges. They may still interface this with Nvidia control panel's custom program settings in the future as well, because some of the optimizations they advertise for games on their optimizer do point a user there as well, and it would be a relatively simple and harmless tie-in, easy to revert any bad settings/mistakes.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 15, 2012, 19:08 Mordecai Walfish

The lack of gapless playback is a deal breaker for me in *any* music device. Too many mixes and live recordings in my library to let that fly.. not to mention the artist's original intention for an EP/LP being hacked apart by shitty software.  

51. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 15, 2012, 06:41 Mordecai Walfish

Quinn wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 07:31:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 01:08:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 21:18:
FPS target is a frame limiter, I thought. You cant set it to 80 fps and magically optimize the game to run at 80FPS, for example. You will need to change graphics options to do that, which is what the nVidia program is designed to assist users to do.

GeForce Optimizer: "Use these settings (in these few games) that others have found acceptable" and "We will lower your IQ to get higher FPS"

Precision X : "Use whatever settings you like including those found above and we will improve your cards performance to reach your desired FPS if possible." and "In any app"

Precision X has greater functionality than a mere 'performance bucket' reference table. Precision X can improve your cards performance, the GeForce Optimizer ironically can not.

Precision X's only limitation is it's EVGA requirement, RivaTuner is the any-nvidia brand equivalent.

So it's basically like ATI overdrive or any other software that pushes your GPU to its limits. I have always -- always! -- had issues with these things. It makes my computer unstable somehow.

I find all that software that "monitors" your hardware a pile of crap. How many times I've had my GPU crash because it got to hot, only to increase the fanspeed AFTER the fucking crash. It's so tiresome. I've turned my back and walked away from that PC raping bullshit. Never noticed significant performance increases anyway.

I use precision x to overclock my gtx-480 by 133mhz on the core and 172mhz for the memory, and to apply a custom fan curve to keep it below 85 degrees when running full power. I did not realize that it auto-applied overclocks to the card when running the "frame target" at a number higher than what your card is capable of. Interesting, but otherwise useless for me because I like to be in control of the overclock being applied.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 14, 2012, 14:40 Mordecai Walfish

Our newest feature is the simplicity of removing features! A true Apple product! (well, okay.. we'll patch one back in for ya.. buggers!)  

News Comments > DmC Devil May Cry for PCs Next Month
10. Re: DmC Devil May Cry for PCs Next Month Dec 14, 2012, 14:35 Mordecai Walfish

Allthumbsup Detroit Metal City! Allthumbsup  

40. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 12, 2012, 21:18 Mordecai Walfish

Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 18:09:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:41:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:07:
NegaDeath wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 00:43:
That's overclocking software though, the nvidia thing is different.

Obviously, you have never used Precision X. It's somewhat more than only clock speed adjustments, but you are right in that it does not change individual app settings in the app itself.

It's something completely different than what we are talking about here.. I think that was the point.

My non-argumentative point is that Precision X can and does have a feature where you can pick your desired FPS target in a game which is the desired end result of the nVidia app which likely does a table look-up of your hardware configuration. The two programs share that same feature, but different methods.

Precision X does not change your config.ini of your game, but neither does the nVidia app I suspect...either way, nVidia's app only does this for a few games, where Precision X does it for any game/app.

FPS target is a frame limiter, I thought. You cant set it to 80 fps and magically optimize the game to run at 80FPS, for example. You will need to change graphics options to do that, which is what the nVidia program is designed to assist users to do.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2012, 02:21.

35. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 12, 2012, 09:41 Mordecai Walfish

Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:07:
NegaDeath wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 00:43:
That's overclocking software though, the nvidia thing is different.

Obviously, you have never used Precision X. It's somewhat more than only clock speed adjustments, but you are right in that it does not change individual app settings in the app itself.

It's something completely different than what we are talking about here.. I think that was the point.

News Comments > Free Metro 2033 on Steam
53. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 12, 2012, 09:37 Mordecai Walfish

This working link was posted below in the comments:

Dacron wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 16:26:
Link from post is dead. Tried this link, Steam Key was valid and is downloading.

http://www.facebook.com/MetroVideoGame?ref=ts&fref=ts

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2012, 23:18 Mordecai Walfish

Verno wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 13:42:
How is FF4 Complete anyway? I was thinking of dusting off my PSP and giving it a whirl soon. I'm a bit worried After Years/etc will ruin my memories of the game though, any good?

Complete is great. The game holds up wonderfully and many art assets have been updated to look much better on the PSP. It is still the same game though, which is a very good thing. The only big variation in the core game comes after you beat it, when you get to go to a special dungeon on the moon and play through new scenarios and challenges for each of the characters that can take place anywhere because it's somewhat of a cave of illusions.

I havent started the after years and interlude parts that comprise the rest of the "complete" package, as I'm still in the "cave of illusions" on the moon, but so far the additions have been very welcome. New "ultimate" gear for all the characters and bosses are the benefits from the cave.

27. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 11, 2012, 22:58 Mordecai Walfish

Prez wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 18:23:
I don't even know (or care) what anisotropic filtering is... that was kind of my point. I just picked two terms I can even remember seeing. I don't know how anisotropic filtering works or what effect it may or may not have on performance - it was just an example. If it makes the game look better and doesn't bog down my framerates then super. I just would rather not even have to think about it. Has it occurred to all of you hardware gurus that not everyone bothers learning what all of these graphics terms mean or how they work? When people start talking graphics terms my eyes glaze over. I have ZERO interest in any of it.

Well then you learned something valuable from this today, as you can *always* set AF to 16x in any game you play and it will look much better, with little to no performance hit =) Thats not something you even have to think about when you're setting up gfx options. Just set it 16x and forget it =P

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Patched
5. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Dec 11, 2012, 18:20 Mordecai Walfish

loomy wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 13:03:
this game is basically NS1 with better graphics. NS1 is a good niche game and could hold a few hundred people playing at any given time.

NS2 is doomed to the same fate as NS1 because the developers have no foresight. They've made the same broken, niche game again.

side note: if you think you can do a "commander mode" in a game, you probably can't. I know because nobody before you could. this is a holy grail of gaming, and it takes more than copying warcraft into an FPS to do it.

Commander mode could work by having a "training camp" with certifications that would-be commanders get in order to play it in the first place, and then gaining in skill/rank as they successfully command more games. Servers could have a minimum rank/certification flag they could set up, depending on how hardcore they are, and it would greatly eliminate the "noob commander" problem.

It's just something that takes more preparation than they chose to give to this game, which is unfortunate, but in their eyes I'm sure they were just wanting to *finally* get the game shipped.

21. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 11, 2012, 18:15 Mordecai Walfish

Prez wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 16:58:
...having a program that tells you what kind of FSAA and Anisitropic filtering your machine can handle (if at all) would be a godsend.

I've always wondered what kind of archaic PC someone would need to get any kind of pronounced performance hit from having Anisotropic filtering on 16x. Even the 8800gt gets almost no discernible performance hit from Anisotropic Filtering @ 16x. Maybe it's still made available in settings for integrated GFX users.. Huh

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2012, 22:59.

739 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo