Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 769 (Graduate)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 26, 2014, 02:42 Mordecai Walfish

Beamer wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 21:57:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 21:53:
Brilliant. There has to be gamers out there where money is no object. Sucks I'm not one.

its not for gaming, much like the titan wasn't positioned to be. Bitcoin farmers may grab it.

Bitcoin farmers would not touch this thing. Premium price for what can be achieved in a much less costly array of AMD gpu's. Performance-per-watt will be interesting to know though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New USFIV Class Revealed
3. Re: New USFIV Class Revealed Mar 17, 2014, 21:32 Mordecai Walfish

"Old class revealed" should be the headline. This is just another Cammy clone like juli and juni, the "doll" class character. Slight variations to the moves and new supers and Capcom regurgitates another character in the tradition of ken/ryu/akuma with another money-grab update.

Funny the headline incorrectly calls this a "class" also, instead of a character.. but it is really just another in a class of regurgitated characters in SF. Disappointing, but having Hugo and Elena in there will be awesome.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Mar 16, 2014, 21:21 Mordecai Walfish

One last GTA firesale before announcing 5 for pc? =P  

News Comments > NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016
18. Re: NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016 Mar 14, 2014, 19:46 Mordecai Walfish

Aero wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 11:12:
I've not been happy with Nvidia drivers for the last several WHQL releases for my 580GTX. The display driver crashes at random every couple days when doing normal desktop things. Though it could be something new on my end, I suspect that the testing of drivers on hardware that's a few generations old has been relegated to the summer intern who won't be back until June.

Of course I don't really believe it, but a part of me also suspects planned obsolescence. I would upgrade if I felt any pressing need, but pretty much every game that's GPU bound is still running fine on max or near max settings. This might not be an uncommon feeling, particularly as the new console generation apparently isn't all that impressive hardware-wise.

I'm a GTX480 user with no such issues since the TDR problem mentioned in this post:

David Clark wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 13:19:
Re: crashes at the desktop. I don't know if you're using Firefox, but if you are, this may help. I was experiencing crashes every few weeks while browsing after updating to a new WHQL version a few months ago. Turns out that certain production runs of certain cards are having a difficult-to-trace hardware incompatibility with Firefox's hardware acceleration setting - after turning it off (Options -> Advanced -> General -> Browsing (Use Hardware Acceleration When Available)), no more crashes.

It's actually such a weird bug that nVidia asked people experiencing it to send in their cards for testing, since none of theirs on-site can reproduce the problem.

Anyway, worked for me - hope it helps you.

Which has not occurred for well over a year for me, I cant recall the last time the graphics driver crashed actually, and I'm using newest nVidia WHQL release now.

All this with a generous overclock and using video driver/monitor hacks to enable lightboost at 120hz and I've had 0 signs of instability on my rig. Never changed any settings in Firefox to fix the TDR issues either, it just got fixed in the driver for me eventually. Win7 Pro 64-bit AMD dualcore unlocked to quad (Phenom 2 555BE @ 3.6ghz)

News Comments > GameRanger Passes 5M Users
7. Re: GameRanger Passes 5M Users Mar 12, 2014, 19:50 Mordecai Walfish

I've used game ranger to play multiplayer games that had official support dropped. It's been a couple years since I used it last (for an old multiplayer game of monopoly from 2002) but it's always worked well when I used it.

News Comments > Dark Souls II PC Specs
36. Re: Dark Souls II PC Specs Mar 8, 2014, 22:29 Mordecai Walfish

mag wrote on Mar 8, 2014, 17:08:
I love my G700s from Logitech, though their mice do seem to have a left-mouse-button-dies-after-two-years problem lately. On the other hand, they have a three year warranty. So give them a call and a day later, brand new mouse. Hurray! They gave me a brand new G700s to replace my G700, didn't require the old one be shipped back or anything.

Logitech does have great service, I agree.

They replaced my broken mx518 for a g400 without me sending in the broken one as well, because they stopped making my mouse of choice, the mx518, for this better model. Superb

31. Re: Dark Souls II PC Specs Mar 8, 2014, 03:26 Mordecai Walfish

Bundy wrote on Mar 8, 2014, 02:51:
Yeah, I was a bit torn on the mouse too. I have an MX518 on my old PC. It's always been solid.

The g400 was logitech's replacement for this. Better in all ways except the cord.

25. Re: Dark Souls II PC Specs Mar 7, 2014, 17:01 Mordecai Walfish

LOL I have the minimum spec AMD processor on this list (AMD Phenom II- 555BE) unlocked to 4 cores and overclocked to a better performance point than the "recommended" AMD A8 processor. Been running this rig 24/7 for 3 years now and that little chip cost me $80 back when I got it.  

News Comments > Steam Video Capture Utility
15. Re: Steam Video Capture Utility Feb 24, 2014, 23:03 Mordecai Walfish

dj LiTh wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 18:38:
I recommend dxtory, its level of configuration is pretty great. I've got it setup to record in avi compressed format with about a 4-5fps loss, at really clear quality. 1 hour = about 10gb which is pretty awesome.

Same here, using the h264vfw codec which is fantastic

News Comments > Garry's Mod & Rust Have Each Earned > $30M
8. Re: Garry's Mod & Rust Have Each Earned > $30M Feb 22, 2014, 21:43 Mordecai Walfish

Tom wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 16:12:
There are a LOT of people actively playing Rust. It has the 8th highest concurrent users on Steam at the moment. I never thought I'd like this kind of game but I got sucked into it. It has an intensity that other kinds of games lack, and there's something to be said for that. It's definitely not for the faint of heart, nor those who give up easily in the face of adversity.

Of course, there are legitimate problems with cheaters, bugs, endgame, etc, but for an alpha it's quite good. $30 million good? Considering how the market is these days, yeah. I'd say they earned it. Definitely looking forward to seeing this game evolve.

Agreed. Took a while to find a good server with decent active admins, but once you do it's a fun game to get into, especially with a team. I started out strictly solo, moving from cave base to cave base avoiding the larger pk crews, building up an arsenal.. then eventually teamed up with a good group and tonight we blew through the largest base on this server, accumulating more guns, ammo and armor then I've seen in the past months combined while playing this game. It's quite a rush both defending and attacking bases, and I would *love* some sort of CTF element added to the game, maybe through a mod of some sort.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
11. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 21, 2014, 07:30 Mordecai Walfish

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 00:33:
Kitkoan wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 00:01:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 21:04:
"The Lowest Possible Score In 'Super Mario Bros.'"

What kind of shenanigans is this? The 4-2 warp zone is not accessed via a pipe.

So I'm not the only one who noticed that...

Within 20 seconds you can tell it is a mame/modded game.

It is a glitch in the game that you can do with even the NES version. There are actually a couple different ways to do this:

http://themushroomkingdom.net/bugs/5

News Comments > Rust Punches Cheaters
3. Re: Rust Punches Cheaters Feb 12, 2014, 10:01 Mordecai Walfish

Alamar wrote on Feb 12, 2014, 09:32:
I have never cheated in a multiplayer, competitive game... I simply don't see the appeal, because I love winning...

That may seem backwards, but it's really not... If I were to win something, by cheating, it's not really a win.

Now, I've been accused of cheating many times... And there's not much more I boast about, in gaming, than that... Especially when it's in a game I am just very good at (like UT Excessive, 'back in the day').

I can, however, see some of the appeal for others, in cheating competitively... And I assume, for the most part, it comes down to one thing... They're just not good enough at the game. I'm quite out of practice in FPS games myself, and I tried out Loadout when it hit last week... I played horribly... Only played against bots, but looking at my stats, and just the feel of how I was playing, I knew I was a detriment to my team... But even playing that badly, I have no interest in cheating, because of some of the above, and because I know, with experience, I would get much better... I have that patience...

/Ramble

-Alamar

Cheers. I've never been able to even stomach putting in cheat codes in a GTA game, let alone trying to cheat my way to victory against actual human opponents. Just doesn't seem like fun to me, not in the slightest.

News Comments > Steam Adds Discoverability Options
14. Re: Steam Adds Discoverability Options Feb 8, 2014, 06:32 Mordecai Walfish

descender wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 18:34:
Is your steam client downloading DLC you don't own for some reason?

Actually, mine has before. EA forced an update on Bad Company 2 that included all of the vietnam DLC, even though I had not paid for it and could not play it.

IMO, they should just make that stuff free after a year or two so they don't continue to segment their player-base and hasten the demise of solid multiplayer games, but the update w/ DLC, was (and still is) fully locked. No fucks are given on EA's part because they would rather you just buy this year's version than enjoy a good game they produced a years back. It's a pretty sad trend in this DLC wasteland we call gaming

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 29, 2014, 01:51 Mordecai Walfish

Redmask wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 23:11:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 21:48:
If anyone can pull it off it's them, the homebrew scene has been having trouble getting any PS2 game to run smoothly despite the luxury of high-end desktop CPU power.

PCSX2 has come a long way, I can play pretty much any of my old PS2 games without issues, maybe just tweaks here and there if I want eye candy way up.

I believe jacobvandy is talking about emulating the ps2 on consoles, which is absolutely going to happen sometime in this console cycle given the processing power and architecture similarities to higher-end PCs. We should hopefully be looking forward to some great emulator ports in the coming years =)

News Comments > Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch
12. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch Jan 17, 2014, 20:08 Mordecai Walfish

Good riddance to bad rubbish  

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
21. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 22, 2013, 22:00 Mordecai Walfish

siapnar wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 21:13:
Tom wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 21:07:
End of one era, beginning of another?
I think John has a lot more to give to the gaming community, and the Oculus Rift seems to be a great outlet for his passion

Agreed. I look forward to the advances in virtual space he contributes to, and respect the advances in video gaming he helped make a reality.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 00:35 Mordecai Walfish

Congrats blue! I've been an avid visitor to this site since that same year after a fellow quake player recommended it. =) Cheers to 17 more glorious years of the good news! Cheers  

News Comments > Activision Publishing Suing Worlds Online
15. Re: Activision Publishing Suing Worlds Online Oct 6, 2013, 07:32 Mordecai Walfish

dubfanatic wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 12:43:
I've never heard of these "Worlds Online" guys so I looked them up. Check out their gallery, it looks like VRML plugins from 1998: http://www.worldsonline.com/featured-worlds.php

Looks like it was made with the build engine. Duke 3D type shit

News Comments > River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter
10. Re: River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter Sep 11, 2013, 00:26 Mordecai Walfish

RCR was one of my favorite games of the 8 bit generation, definitely backing this in hopes of a proper sequel. I played a translated SNES sequel that had some RPG elements, and there was a remade "ex" GBA version that was pretty much just a new coat of paint and more difficulty.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World for PS3 was similar in gameplay.. but this looks like it will be an actual proper sequel.. I really hope it gets funded!

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 19:57:
beigemore wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 17:18:
There was an excellent version of RCR for the PC-Engine. Exactly like the NES version but with more colors and a CD audio soundtrack. Was great.

Is that so? I don't know how I missed that before! I'll have to go looking for that.

Whoa, didn't know that either! Thanks for the heads up!

News Comments > Poker Night 2 Preorders
7. Re: Poker Night 2 Preorders Apr 10, 2013, 02:39 Mordecai Walfish

Was thinking about picking this up but single player only is a deal-breaker. Poker is/was never a single player game, and to release a poker game in 2013 as such is kinda lame.. especially one with such awesome characters.  

769 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo