Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 728 (Apprentice)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 14, 2012, 14:40 Mordecai Walfish

Our newest feature is the simplicity of removing features! A true Apple product! (well, okay.. we'll patch one back in for ya.. buggers!)  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DmC Devil May Cry for PCs Next Month
10. Re: DmC Devil May Cry for PCs Next Month Dec 14, 2012, 14:35 Mordecai Walfish

Allthumbsup Detroit Metal City! Allthumbsup  

News Comments > GeForce Optimizer
40. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 12, 2012, 21:18 Mordecai Walfish

Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 18:09:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:41:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:07:
NegaDeath wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 00:43:
That's overclocking software though, the nvidia thing is different.

Obviously, you have never used Precision X. It's somewhat more than only clock speed adjustments, but you are right in that it does not change individual app settings in the app itself.

It's something completely different than what we are talking about here.. I think that was the point.

My non-argumentative point is that Precision X can and does have a feature where you can pick your desired FPS target in a game which is the desired end result of the nVidia app which likely does a table look-up of your hardware configuration. The two programs share that same feature, but different methods.

Precision X does not change your config.ini of your game, but neither does the nVidia app I suspect...either way, nVidia's app only does this for a few games, where Precision X does it for any game/app.

FPS target is a frame limiter, I thought. You cant set it to 80 fps and magically optimize the game to run at 80FPS, for example. You will need to change graphics options to do that, which is what the nVidia program is designed to assist users to do.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2012, 02:21.

35. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 12, 2012, 09:41 Mordecai Walfish

Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:07:
NegaDeath wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 00:43:
That's overclocking software though, the nvidia thing is different.

Obviously, you have never used Precision X. It's somewhat more than only clock speed adjustments, but you are right in that it does not change individual app settings in the app itself.

It's something completely different than what we are talking about here.. I think that was the point.

News Comments > Free Metro 2033 on Steam
53. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 12, 2012, 09:37 Mordecai Walfish

This working link was posted below in the comments:

Dacron wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 16:26:
Link from post is dead. Tried this link, Steam Key was valid and is downloading.

http://www.facebook.com/MetroVideoGame?ref=ts&fref=ts

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2012, 23:18 Mordecai Walfish

Verno wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 13:42:
How is FF4 Complete anyway? I was thinking of dusting off my PSP and giving it a whirl soon. I'm a bit worried After Years/etc will ruin my memories of the game though, any good?

Complete is great. The game holds up wonderfully and many art assets have been updated to look much better on the PSP. It is still the same game though, which is a very good thing. The only big variation in the core game comes after you beat it, when you get to go to a special dungeon on the moon and play through new scenarios and challenges for each of the characters that can take place anywhere because it's somewhat of a cave of illusions.

I havent started the after years and interlude parts that comprise the rest of the "complete" package, as I'm still in the "cave of illusions" on the moon, but so far the additions have been very welcome. New "ultimate" gear for all the characters and bosses are the benefits from the cave.

27. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 11, 2012, 22:58 Mordecai Walfish

Prez wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 18:23:
I don't even know (or care) what anisotropic filtering is... that was kind of my point. I just picked two terms I can even remember seeing. I don't know how anisotropic filtering works or what effect it may or may not have on performance - it was just an example. If it makes the game look better and doesn't bog down my framerates then super. I just would rather not even have to think about it. Has it occurred to all of you hardware gurus that not everyone bothers learning what all of these graphics terms mean or how they work? When people start talking graphics terms my eyes glaze over. I have ZERO interest in any of it.

Well then you learned something valuable from this today, as you can *always* set AF to 16x in any game you play and it will look much better, with little to no performance hit =) Thats not something you even have to think about when you're setting up gfx options. Just set it 16x and forget it =P

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Patched
5. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Dec 11, 2012, 18:20 Mordecai Walfish

loomy wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 13:03:
this game is basically NS1 with better graphics. NS1 is a good niche game and could hold a few hundred people playing at any given time.

NS2 is doomed to the same fate as NS1 because the developers have no foresight. They've made the same broken, niche game again.

side note: if you think you can do a "commander mode" in a game, you probably can't. I know because nobody before you could. this is a holy grail of gaming, and it takes more than copying warcraft into an FPS to do it.

Commander mode could work by having a "training camp" with certifications that would-be commanders get in order to play it in the first place, and then gaining in skill/rank as they successfully command more games. Servers could have a minimum rank/certification flag they could set up, depending on how hardcore they are, and it would greatly eliminate the "noob commander" problem.

It's just something that takes more preparation than they chose to give to this game, which is unfortunate, but in their eyes I'm sure they were just wanting to *finally* get the game shipped.

21. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 11, 2012, 18:15 Mordecai Walfish

Prez wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 16:58:
...having a program that tells you what kind of FSAA and Anisitropic filtering your machine can handle (if at all) would be a godsend.

I've always wondered what kind of archaic PC someone would need to get any kind of pronounced performance hit from having Anisotropic filtering on 16x. Even the 8800gt gets almost no discernible performance hit from Anisotropic Filtering @ 16x. Maybe it's still made available in settings for integrated GFX users.. Huh

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2012, 22:59.

News Comments > Free Metro 2033 on Steam
43. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 18:00 Mordecai Walfish

Awesome. Always good to have a dummy facebook account available for stuff like this ^_^.

They tell you to download metro2033.exe and put the key in there, but you can just put it in steam and avoid that step entirely.

Bonus points if you go back to their page and immediately "unlike" after install.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2012, 12:50 Mordecai Walfish

The "collector" who is selling that SNES collection is none other than "byuu", the creater of the bSNES emulator, which is hands down the most accurate emulator available for the SNES, and one of the most impressive emulators ever created, as it replicates the SNES' internal components almost *exactly* cycle-for-cycle, unlike most emulators that use software hacks to get most things working smoothly.

With a program like bSNES under his belt, I can see why he is selling off all his games, as the program literally runs every single one of them as well as the original console did.

8. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 11, 2012, 12:11 Mordecai Walfish

This seems like it could be helpful to complete noobs.. but then you just have to take a quick glance on what Geforce.com lists as "optimal settings" for Battlefield 3 on a GTX480, for example.. and you will see that this actually will do more harm than help in games like this. With their recommended settings you'd be lucky to see 30fps most of the time.

Also discouraging is that this optimizes games to the range of 40-60 FPS (though the BF3 settings listed would make you below 40 most of the time), and has no support for anyone using SLI, 3DVision, or 120hz monitors (everything is specced around the best "experience" @ 60hz, and only those monitors are selectable in the program.)

This is only for the entry-level noob, nothing more.. and even then it is questionable. Good to see the money they're raking in is going towards mostly useless garbage. And it collects "non-personally identifiable information" on your system/programs while you use it. Best to avoid.

News Comments > Medieval CryENGINE 3 Footage
11. Re: Medieval CryENGINE 3 Footage Dec 10, 2012, 17:58 Mordecai Walfish

Dagnamit wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 13:04:
Cryrim!

+1! make it happen!

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
15. Re: BBSes Dec 10, 2012, 00:11 Mordecai Walfish

Ant wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 19:10:
Blue's News was deleted on Wikipedia? WTFrak?

I miss BBS days. Did anyone watch BBS Documentary? http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/ ... It was rad(ical).

Hell yes, and a fine documentary it is! That and 'Get Lamp' are two recent docs I enjoyed immensely that did a good deal of justice to two subjects that are very dear to me.

News Comments > Dark Souls II Announced
15. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 8, 2012, 18:55 Mordecai Walfish

PHJF wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 17:19:
For the most part, if you take it slow, prepare yourself well, and play in survival mode you're going to be fine.

Then you get to a boss which can and will instantly kill you. GG.

Thats actually the point to some of the boss battles, you have to learn the patterns and adapt to them by building a strategy of your own to defeat them, instead of relying on stats & grinding alone to just let you brute-force button mash to win. It's satisfying if you come into the battles with that expectation, IMO. The wanderers from Ys series is notorious for this as well.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Double XP Weekend
9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Double XP Weekend Dec 8, 2012, 18:51 Mordecai Walfish

earned over 150 certs in a little more than 2 hours of playing today. Double xp is awesome. The game should be 1.5-2x xp compared to the default anyway, as it makes it a ton more fun when youre raking in the loot and doing well. I think they starve players so much not just to entice you to spend money on the game, but also for the absurd amount of longevity they expect out of it (13 years+)

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI Shades of Darkness in February
1. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI Shades of Darkness in February Dec 7, 2012, 21:30 Mordecai Walfish

The name seems ominous to me, probably because it closely resembles Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness, one of the buggiest titles I can ever recall playing on release.  

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 15:15 Mordecai Walfish

I wanted GW2 to be my GoTY, but after release and finally playing it I realized that the merry-go-round method of MMO gameplay just gets incredibly boring to me very, very quickly.

I had more fun with Faster Than Light, honestly =)

News Comments > Intel "Committed" to Socketed CPUs for "The Foreseeable Future"
9. Re: Intel Dec 6, 2012, 13:04 Mordecai Walfish

Now if only Intel would create a wikipedia pseudo-article on what exactly their definition of "The Foreseeable Future" is, I guess everyone's mind will officially be at ease.  

728 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo