Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 972 (Graduate)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans
19. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 21, 2015, 15:42 Mordecai Walfish

It'll be fun once someone comes up with a good controller-to-mouse emulator to stomp controller noobs on the PC with streaming.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Lag Fixed
2. Lag Oddity Jan 21, 2015, 14:58 Mordecai Walfish

Singing This is quality control to major lag.. you've really failed the grade, Singing

Singing And the players want to know why it's there... Singing

Singing Now it's time to leave this crapfest if you dareeee.. Singing

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2015, 15:06.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Beta Access with Founder's Pack
1. Re: Heroes of the Storm Beta Access with Founder's Pack Jan 20, 2015, 19:04 Mordecai Walfish

You mean I can pay money right now to test your game for you!? Fucking sign me up!  

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
8. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 19, 2015, 22:27 Mordecai Walfish

yuastnav wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 07:02:
I've poured thousands of hours into Natural Selection, sometime between 2003 and 2006.
Natural Selection may be dead but in our hearts it will still live on. I think having a Gorge plushy is a nice memento, even though I am a bit disappointed that it's blue and not green. In Natural Selection it was certainly very green-yellowish and I've only played very little Natural Selection 2 to judge whether the blue colour is fitting. NS2 is too broken, unfortunately. At least it was last time I played it. :/

It's gotten alot better with the Community Development Team patches and they are still releasing maps for it with a decent playerbase still on every day.

NS2:Combat was a complete flop, however.

News Comments > H1Z1 Airdrop Explanation/Apology
53. Re: H1Z1 Airdrop Explanation/Apology Jan 19, 2015, 21:38 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 02:38:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 15:25:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 14:18:
Think about this scenario-- what is to stop people from waiting till late night hours when not many people are online, and a large group coordinates to do airdrops and the next day when everyone is playing this group is all of a sudden armed to the teeth because they gave $$ to the devs and ended up with weapons/armor/whatever. It's just a super-shady system for this kind of game, and one that will require a bunch of stupid immersion-breaking rules to enforce so that this seems even remotely fair to players.

Good point. I also considered even though it would be more up for grabs, calling in a drop and being in the area is much better chance for everyone involved than a group of people somewhere else with no drop at all. It still is a arms race advantage.

Watching streams, I like the idea of zombie apoc survival, but a number of these games are really deathmatch games with a little zombie presence, many times a trivial presence.

Apparently, the server has to have a certain minimum population level before you can call in an airdrop to ensure a certain level of competitiveness. I think what you're talking about is still possible, but that might complicate it a bit.

Then groups will monitor player pops and coordinate when there's the bare minimum online, prettty easy way to protect your investment a bit

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 19, 2015, 18:21 Mordecai Walfish

I thought the big news was that Elon Musk was planning on using the profits from the satellite internet system to fund a future colony on mars  

48. Re: H1Z1 Airdrop Explanation/Apology Jan 18, 2015, 18:47 Mordecai Walfish

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 15:25:

Good point. I also considered even though it would be more up for grabs, calling in a drop and being in the area is much better chance for everyone involved than a group of people somewhere else with no drop at all. It still is a arms race advantage.

Absolutely. Setting up a perimeter once you understand how the drops work would be a trivial task for a prepared group.

Also:

This Forbes article seems to hit the nail dead on.

I'm starting to really like the gaming columnists at Forbes! Who would have thought that they would become a more legitimate source of news and opinion than most 'gaming news' sites?

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 18, 2015, 15:16 Mordecai Walfish

Gorge plushie is at ~90% of funding goal already, lol. NS2 players sure love their gorgies =)  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
8. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 18, 2015, 15:04 Mordecai Walfish

jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 21:22:
Yeah, I have no idea how this didn't get challenged constitutionally. Maybe it was argued that some people didn't have standing because the actual criminal charges were dropped or something? I mean to lose your house b/c your son was caught smoking some weed in the basement is beyond the pale.

A disturbing trend in the USA's repeated waging of 'wars' in the last half a century (besides the repeated waging of thoughtless 'wars' itself..), is that each time we've declared 'war' on something, be it drugs or terrorism or whatever, is the tendency for curtailment of rights that come along with said 'wars'. Civil forfeiture to this extent was introduced as a 'weapon' in the "war on drugs".. the same way the 'Patriot Act' was introduced as a 'weapon' to fight the "war on terror", and future generations are going to state the same thing:
Yeah, I have no idea how this didn't get challenged constitutionally.

46. Re: H1Z1 Airdrop Explanation/Apology Jan 18, 2015, 14:18 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 23:46:
So you pay actual money for other people to wind up with your shit? Well, we can't say games aren't getting more and more scummy about trying to milk every fucking dollar out of you.

Team Fortress 2 has been doing this for a while, charging for items that will "gift wrap" an item of yours and give it to someone on the server or randomly throughout the playerbase. I think the price was like $1-2. Charging to give your stuff away.. :-/

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 12:38:
Now the plane moves slower and the crate falls slower and it isn't nearly as accurate to fall at your feet. Now your $5 loot is at play amongst others equally. Agreed this isn't a lot less PTW than previously. But now it has created this new category. Pay to Have Fun, Pay for Conflict. We're just questioning what type of person would pay $5 for someone else to get your stuff.

Think about this scenario-- what is to stop people from waiting till late night hours when not many people are online, and a large group coordinates to do airdrops and the next day when everyone is playing this group is all of a sudden armed to the teeth because they gave $$ to the devs and ended up with weapons/armor/whatever. It's just a super-shady system for this kind of game, and one that will require a bunch of stupid immersion-breaking rules to enforce so that this seems even remotely fair to players.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2015, 14:23.

News Comments > Turtle Rock on Evolve DLC Backlash
27. Re: Turtle Rock on Evolve DLC Backlash Jan 15, 2015, 14:49 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 11:31:
At least they're putting a system in place where the DLC doesn't fracture the player base.

That was the positive take-away I had from their message.

Besides that, this is just more publisher cash-grab bs, and if they dont want people to be as upset about it they should seriously consider unveiling DLC after the damn game is released. I'm surprised publishers haven't learned this by now..

Gadzooks wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 13:07:
Translation:

None of the DLC will be done by the time the game is released, because its the unfinsihed content we had to cut from the game, in order to release it on time.

What they (and most other publishers/developers) are doing is double-dipping to provide the cut scraps for money instead of showing value to people shelling $60 for your "AAA" game and releasing a content update with this already-created/planned content. It's easier to gouge a small group for $15 extra than to build respect amongst gamers for yourselves as a developer/publisher because respect doesn't show up on shareholder reports. Thank god we have at least some publishers doing it right(lookin at you, CD Projekt RED!), and I'll never hesitate to support them and their products with my wallet.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2015, 14:56.

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed
89. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed Jan 14, 2015, 14:06 Mordecai Walfish

Can't wait. (But I guess I have to... thanks Rockstar!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8qMDBlu7yw

News Comments > Rockstar: PC GTA5 Not Delayed
34. Re: Rockstar: PC GTA5 Not Delayed Jan 10, 2015, 10:19 Mordecai Walfish

Dmitri_M wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 09:57:
It's simple. They're not spending any money marketing the PC version.

Why spend money marketing it to an audience of pirates. It's a PS4/Xbone port anyhow, right? No specific PC development. No marketing, just get it out there. Make what we can.

I'll be very curious to see how well it runs on PC. The previous PC GTA was unoptimized. Seems a lot of you have forgotten that.

Actually, the subject has come up quite frequently about the port quality of GTA IV and I don't think many PC gamers have forgotten that.

The advancements with the RAGE engine and it's ports to PC since then give a healthy dose of optimism to the subject though, with the latest Max Payne (also RAGE engine) being, by all measurements, an excellent port to pc that performed very well.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 8, 2015, 12:28 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 11:39:
dj LiTh wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 03:12:
I'm personally waiting to get a 970 or 980 with 8gb ram (only the 4gb variety are available now), and then going completely crazy (but tastefully) with a ultimate modded skyrim play through. I've yet to try any of the big DLC's even. Looking forward to it.

Your VRAM makes little to no difference on Skyrim's stability. It's the engine itself which craps out with too many mods installed .(especially memory hungry ones.)

You'd see absolutely no difference with a 4GB or 8GB card.

Unless of course you're using graphics mods which use VRAM in which case it matters very much how much VRAM you have. You can easily eat up 4GB of VRAM even modding Oblivion, lol.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Specs; Requires 6GB
47. Re: The Witcher 3 Specs; Requires 6GB Jan 8, 2015, 10:23 Mordecai Walfish

And still no specs for GTAV which is supposedly a couple weeks from release..

Starting to get worried about rockstar's PC fuckery again.

News Comments > Mad Catz Announces $300 PC/Mobile Controller
14. Re: Mad Catz Announces $300 PC/Mobile Controller Jan 7, 2015, 14:07 Mordecai Walfish

BobBob wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 13:13:
Why is keyboard and mouse such a pariah in the console world? I would think someone would try to emulate it as much as possible. It's the only way to get near 100% accuracy in FPS games.

Although the best for FPS games, it is not for all genres. Controllers work better for mainstream genres than kb/m does. That doesnt mean players shouldnt have options, but with the skill gap between kb/m and controller players, they would need to have separate game rooms and implement some form of DRM on the controllers to make sure that kb/m players couldnt just pubstomp controller matches all day, though even DRM would be eventually circumvented.. the whole thing would be too hard to enforce and only be a temporary measure, at best.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jan 7, 2015, 08:43 Mordecai Walfish

SirKnight wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 23:37:
There's also the eXoDOS collection on archive.org. That's what I downloaded a while back.

It took forever though because archive.org has the slowest servers in the world it seems. But it was worth it to have every DOS game from the 80s and 90s.

ExoDOS is fantastic, and it comes with the M.E.A.G.R.E frontend already pre-loaded so you can literally just double click and install/play any dos title from the collection you want.

I recommend downloading the torrent version of eXoDOS because of the sheer size though, the adventure set alone is over 110GB itself and thats just a portion of the whole. Pleasuredome has the torrents always seeded (by me and many many others) and is an open signup tracker, if I recall correctly. Also they have no ratio currently until Jan 15th all torrents are freeleech (which they have never done before and will likely never do again, its for their 10th year anniversary)

Edit: Actually just saw a post from eXo in the forums that this release on the internet archive is actually his project (eXoDOS) made playable over the internet via the internet archive. You can literally play all of the eXoDOS collection over your browser at archive.org. Fantastic.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2015, 09:10.

News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
38. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 6, 2015, 17:26 Mordecai Walfish

Fantaz wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 16:31:
honestly, where can i find a decent deal on a DAC for my computer?

massdrop has dac's often
monoprice may have dac's
Amazon - I got my Audinst HUD-MX1 DAC a couple years ago on amazon in the ~$170 price range and it's quite good

972 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo