Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 739 (Apprentice)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
11. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 21, 2014, 07:30 Mordecai Walfish

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 00:33:
Kitkoan wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 00:01:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 21:04:
"The Lowest Possible Score In 'Super Mario Bros.'"

What kind of shenanigans is this? The 4-2 warp zone is not accessed via a pipe.

So I'm not the only one who noticed that...

Within 20 seconds you can tell it is a mame/modded game.

It is a glitch in the game that you can do with even the NES version. There are actually a couple different ways to do this:

http://themushroomkingdom.net/bugs/5

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rust Punches Cheaters
3. Re: Rust Punches Cheaters Feb 12, 2014, 10:01 Mordecai Walfish

Alamar wrote on Feb 12, 2014, 09:32:
I have never cheated in a multiplayer, competitive game... I simply don't see the appeal, because I love winning...

That may seem backwards, but it's really not... If I were to win something, by cheating, it's not really a win.

Now, I've been accused of cheating many times... And there's not much more I boast about, in gaming, than that... Especially when it's in a game I am just very good at (like UT Excessive, 'back in the day').

I can, however, see some of the appeal for others, in cheating competitively... And I assume, for the most part, it comes down to one thing... They're just not good enough at the game. I'm quite out of practice in FPS games myself, and I tried out Loadout when it hit last week... I played horribly... Only played against bots, but looking at my stats, and just the feel of how I was playing, I knew I was a detriment to my team... But even playing that badly, I have no interest in cheating, because of some of the above, and because I know, with experience, I would get much better... I have that patience...

/Ramble

-Alamar

Cheers. I've never been able to even stomach putting in cheat codes in a GTA game, let alone trying to cheat my way to victory against actual human opponents. Just doesn't seem like fun to me, not in the slightest.

News Comments > Steam Adds Discoverability Options
14. Re: Steam Adds Discoverability Options Feb 8, 2014, 06:32 Mordecai Walfish

descender wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 18:34:
Is your steam client downloading DLC you don't own for some reason?

Actually, mine has before. EA forced an update on Bad Company 2 that included all of the vietnam DLC, even though I had not paid for it and could not play it.

IMO, they should just make that stuff free after a year or two so they don't continue to segment their player-base and hasten the demise of solid multiplayer games, but the update w/ DLC, was (and still is) fully locked. No fucks are given on EA's part because they would rather you just buy this year's version than enjoy a good game they produced a years back. It's a pretty sad trend in this DLC wasteland we call gaming

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 29, 2014, 01:51 Mordecai Walfish

Redmask wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 23:11:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 21:48:
If anyone can pull it off it's them, the homebrew scene has been having trouble getting any PS2 game to run smoothly despite the luxury of high-end desktop CPU power.

PCSX2 has come a long way, I can play pretty much any of my old PS2 games without issues, maybe just tweaks here and there if I want eye candy way up.

I believe jacobvandy is talking about emulating the ps2 on consoles, which is absolutely going to happen sometime in this console cycle given the processing power and architecture similarities to higher-end PCs. We should hopefully be looking forward to some great emulator ports in the coming years =)

News Comments > Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch
12. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch Jan 17, 2014, 20:08 Mordecai Walfish

Good riddance to bad rubbish  

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
21. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 22, 2013, 22:00 Mordecai Walfish

siapnar wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 21:13:
Tom wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 21:07:
End of one era, beginning of another?
I think John has a lot more to give to the gaming community, and the Oculus Rift seems to be a great outlet for his passion

Agreed. I look forward to the advances in virtual space he contributes to, and respect the advances in video gaming he helped make a reality.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 00:35 Mordecai Walfish

Congrats blue! I've been an avid visitor to this site since that same year after a fellow quake player recommended it. =) Cheers to 17 more glorious years of the good news! Cheers  

News Comments > Activision Publishing Suing Worlds Online
15. Re: Activision Publishing Suing Worlds Online Oct 6, 2013, 07:32 Mordecai Walfish

dubfanatic wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 12:43:
I've never heard of these "Worlds Online" guys so I looked them up. Check out their gallery, it looks like VRML plugins from 1998: http://www.worldsonline.com/featured-worlds.php

Looks like it was made with the build engine. Duke 3D type shit

News Comments > River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter
10. Re: River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter Sep 11, 2013, 00:26 Mordecai Walfish

RCR was one of my favorite games of the 8 bit generation, definitely backing this in hopes of a proper sequel. I played a translated SNES sequel that had some RPG elements, and there was a remade "ex" GBA version that was pretty much just a new coat of paint and more difficulty.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World for PS3 was similar in gameplay.. but this looks like it will be an actual proper sequel.. I really hope it gets funded!

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 19:57:
beigemore wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 17:18:
There was an excellent version of RCR for the PC-Engine. Exactly like the NES version but with more colors and a CD audio soundtrack. Was great.

Is that so? I don't know how I missed that before! I'll have to go looking for that.

Whoa, didn't know that either! Thanks for the heads up!

News Comments > Poker Night 2 Preorders
7. Re: Poker Night 2 Preorders Apr 10, 2013, 02:39 Mordecai Walfish

Was thinking about picking this up but single player only is a deal-breaker. Poker is/was never a single player game, and to release a poker game in 2013 as such is kinda lame.. especially one with such awesome characters.  

News Comments > Square Enix Reports "Extraordinary Loss" - President Resigns
60. Re: Square Enix Reports Mar 26, 2013, 19:58 Mordecai Walfish

Lorcin wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 11:07:
I'm playing Ni No Kuni at the moment and it's way better then any JRPG Square have put out since FFIX.

This.

I don't have faith in Square to create memorable and/or groundbreaking JRPG's anymore. At least there are other companies that still know how to create these experiences.

edit:
Redmask wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 16:53:
His resignation was announced to the press in a 20 minute long, unskippable cutscene.

LOL!

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2013, 20:05.

News Comments > New Strider Game for PCs and Consoles?
9. Re: New Strider Game for PCs and Consoles? Mar 20, 2013, 01:36 Mordecai Walfish

I used to play the original strider in arcades back in the day. There was always something enticing and unique about that game, and the NES version did a pretty poor job of capturing that, IMO. Another arcade favorite from that same time period was "Rolling Thunder".

Here's hoping that they do it justice! Strider could be an awesome IP if they do it right. There was a 2.5d version of strider that capcom made for the playstation one. It was pretty decent, but the arcade original was better.. and luckily was included with that version as well.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Feb 27, 2013, 01:50 Mordecai Walfish

PCSX2 is great, and with all the different settings you can use for each game you will no doubt be frustrated keeping track of all your settings.

Look for the PCSX2 Profile Manager or something similarly titled on the forums for PCSX2, it makes loading your games with your program settings a breeze.

Oh and 1.0 was released like a year ago, lol. I made a guide for G-Darius in HD from the Taito Collection when PCSX2 1.0 was released.. definitely old news.

News Comments > Bungie's Destiny Details Soon
17. Re: Bungie's Destiny Details Soon Feb 13, 2013, 02:17 Mordecai Walfish

Bungie is a great company, and it's been a long time since they weren't beholden to a hardware manufacturer for their titles.. I truly hope good things come of project Destiny.  

News Comments > Ghost in the Shell Online
7. Re: Ghost in the Shell Online Feb 13, 2013, 01:46 Mordecai Walfish

Jerykk wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 23:20:
GitS has the perfect setting for a game. Unfortunately, none of the games have really taken advantage of it. Since this is a multiplayer game by Nexon, it probably won't break that pattern.

Only remotely good GitS game I've played was on the playstation one. I think it was just titled "Ghost in the Shell" and featured the tachikomas in relatively open world (for the time) environments, jumping between skyscraper walls trying to take down enemies. Fun game, but very simple.. I fear what bringing a goliath like this into the online realm could result in.. but theres part of me that knows that this could be one of the most successful multiplayer games ever created, if done right.. I guess we'll just have to wait and see =)

Edit: Thanks for posting that list of games Nexon has made. Man.. that really fucking sucks.

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2013, 01:32.

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta
2. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Jan 30, 2013, 04:24 Mordecai Walfish

mag wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 01:51:
These are also the drivers that are supposed to fix the frame latency thing, aren't they?

indeed.

frame rates may be "slower" in some games but smoothness overall will be significantly better in many cases, if reports on this driver are true.

excellent response from AMD/ATI on this if the numbers hold up =)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2013, 14:47 Mordecai Walfish

nin wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 09:36:
Uranus takes a pounding more frequently than thought.

The jokes write themselves...

lol

News Comments > Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale
17. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 18:50 Mordecai Walfish

+1 for more maps!

This game is seriously fun, and free all weekend so why not give it a go..

I'm trying to buy the 4-pack for my roommates and some folks at work to give as gifts.. but steam wont let me buy them as gifts the button is blanked out.. in fact it wont let me do anything but remove them from my cart

News Comments > More on Steam Hardware
45. Re: More on Steam Hardware Jan 20, 2013, 12:47 Mordecai Walfish

Beamer wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 13:15:
Verno wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:11:
I get that, but I don't really see how this is going to succeed to the point where everyone is using a steambox, rather than a normal console.

It doesn't necessarily have to cannibalize their own users and directly compete with consoles to succeed, it has a lot of crossover market appeal. The greedy comment is really silly, all products are designed to make money. It's how they go about doing it that matters and that remains to be seen in this case. Valve has a pretty good history of consumer value and customer friendly decisions so I'm not worried.

Yup.
It isn't about making everyone use a Steambox, it's about getting people that prefer consoles to start using Steam. Those already using Steam on their desktop/laptop will still do that and Valve will still happily serve them and take their money.

There's a certain paranoia I keep seeing where certain people think everything is designed to screw them over or make a change they don't like and don't want. Some things are aimed at people that simply aren't you. There's a direct correlation between these people and ones that use things like "kiddie gamers" to talk about console gamers. These people are incredibly quick to talk about how different they are from other gamers yet don't think Valve is smart enough to realize this, too.

Valve isn't envisioning a world where everyone uses the Steambox. Valve is just envisioning a world where every gamer uses Steam.

Exactly.

News Comments > More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement
25. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 19, 2013, 16:42 Mordecai Walfish

this looks great! bring it ON, CDPR!  

739 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo