Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 873 (Graduate)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Ending BF Heroes and Other F2P Games
10. Re: EA Ending BF Heroes and Other F2P Games Apr 16, 2015, 06:26 Mordecai Walfish

Tom wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 01:45:
Hardline was way overpriced IMO. Wrong strategy. EA got super greedy with this title. I think it would've done a lot better at a $20-30 price point instead of $50-70, given that it's easily seen as more of a modded BF4 than its own unique game. At least, those who see it that way will be expecting the price to drop substantially and will just wait until that happens. That's where I'm at with it, anyway. But if enough time passes, I probably won't have much desire to pick it up even at a drastically lowered price.

Besides the obvious link to battlefield it almost feels like you're talking about Evolve here

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V
35. Re: Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V Apr 14, 2015, 15:07 Mordecai Walfish

Notes about the custom radio station:

The custom radio station seems to play mp3's and m4a files with no problem, but doesn't like flac files. I also notice a bit of stutter introduced when a song is playing on the custom radio station, and have seen other people mention that also. Another annoying thing is that the controls for switching the track forward or back on the custom radio station seems to not be working, either as keyboard or mouse binds. There is no support for these commands for controller either, so it just plays whatever you put in the user music folder randomly, it would seem.

Also, you dont need to copy the music files to the directory, you can simply make shortcuts to where they are on your computer and the songs will register with the game still. I was expecting it would take symlinks to make this work, so it's nice that regular shortcuts do the trick.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
163. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 22:12 Mordecai Walfish

After getting the patches the game has been running buttery smooth for me, on an old Phenom 2 Quadcore @3.6ghz, a GTX480 & 4gb RAM

The benchmark is wonky though. I recommend not to run it until you've saved your game once in-game, and then run the benchmark from the in-game menus and not the main menu.

145. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 20:20 Mordecai Walfish

Well it should have been obvious that Steam's backend is better prepared for anything online related than Rockstar's, and it shows because many people are playing on Steam right now, but I don't know of a single one who's gone through the rockstar launcher fuckery and actually been able to launch the game yet.

A good way to tell if people on steam have had success is to look at the number of broadcasts for GTAV. There are tons already.

EDIT: 200Kbps+ now on the launcher, should be done within 10 minutes now it says..

140. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 20:05 Mordecai Walfish

Quinn wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 19:58:
PS: Editing someone's quote like that is fucking lame.

I'd suggest you check out VGreagle's post history if you want to see what "lame" really looks like.

I remember seeing the same cut & paste messages in star citizen threads for months where he just fantasized about star wars geeks' quivering thighs or some shit like that.

130. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 19:48 Mordecai Walfish

I *was* downloading at around 6kbps.. until i got a "rockstar updater service error" then "connection to download server lost" when retrying..

I knew this launcher was garbage when it was chewing up 25% cpu when it was doing absolutely nothing. Hopefully I'll be able to play tonight!

Gonna wait to update my nVidia drivers to the new version until after I've tried the game to see what the differences are (FPS, jitter, etc) after installing the new ones.

If anyone finds a way to manually install the 300+ MB patch please let me know.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
35. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 13, 2015, 08:42 Mordecai Walfish

yuastnav wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 08:32:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 05:16:
Quinn wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 03:56:
Argh, too bad I'm in Europe. I bet we'll be on different servers. Will I still be able to join the crew ingame anyway, I wonder? My aim is awesome, but I suck at driving so I'll be riding shotgun. "Shotgun!" There.

I joined the crew. "Vince-Quinn".

Guess we'll have to wait and see, I'll also have to spring for a new headset since my sister took mine when she moved out west. If anyone has recommendations on something I'm all ears.

Not a headset solution per se but this is a good mic.

http://www.modmic.com/

You can attach it to a lot of headphones since headsets are usually rubbish.

+1 for the modmic! Been using a modmic for years, with regular headsets you'll have either the headphones or Mic portion go out eventually and have to replace the whole thing. With a modmic you can replace either part individually and use it with high quality music headphones (I use mine with audiosone pro750 headphones) The Mic they use in modmic is superb, also. Massdrop.com often has the modmic for cheaper or in a combo pack with some decent headphones too, fyi.

News Comments > Ghost in the Shell Online: First Connection Coming West
12. Re: Ghost in the Shell Online: First Connection Coming West Apr 10, 2015, 03:00 Mordecai Walfish

Imagine if a developer like CD PRojekt RED got ahold of this license and what they would do with it..

Right now this looks like it should be titled CoD - Future Cyborgwarfare.

There is so much potential for amazing gaming experiences in the rich GitS universe, but honestly I cant say I've played more than one entertaining GitS game in my entire life, and that was for the PS1, focused on the Tachikomas.

I only mention CDP Red because of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

..and it makes me wonder why we can't have a good GitS game from a development studio that actually gives a shit about the IP.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Steam Preloads
33. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Preloads Apr 10, 2015, 02:07 Mordecai Walfish

There was some speculation about the GTAV pre-load and rockstar's launcher taking up 25% CPU constantly while downloading was in progress, and unanswered questions as to exactly what was causing this.. but now that the launcher for GTA V has finished the preload on my end, the CPU usage with it open still hovers around 25% while it does absolutely nothing but display a countdown timer.

It's either terribly programmed and optimized or pulling some DRM file-tracking BS after the download is finished, maybe making sure you aren't uploading it to torrent sites or anything. We'll probably never know, but it does feel a bit foreboding, considering how poorly optimized GTA IV was for PC, and how long they've taken to get this out of the gate.

Small gripe, yes, but when you factor in the millions of people who are pre-loading this game right now and are just obliviously leaving the countdown up until release.. that's alot of fucking waste.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 9, 2015, 00:48 Mordecai Walfish

garrywong wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 20:49:
You can "reject" a DMCA claim? Why don't more companies do it then?

It depends on the company/resources at hand. If you have a team/lawyers that research the validity of said claims and is able to dismiss fictitious ones, than you end up paying a lot of people for time spent researching them. Huge entities become so swamped with them (youtube, torrent sites, file lockers/cloud storage, etc) and will many times just issue the takedown and let the burden of proof that the DMCA has not been violated fall on the actual poster of the content, so they don't have to go through that kind of expenditure in hiring research teams and lawyers to review every single DMCA request that they receive.

News Comments > GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs
39. Re: GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs Apr 9, 2015, 00:31 Mordecai Walfish

Krovven wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 19:36:
So one thing I'm trying to figure out is how I manage the controls.

Gamepad is superior for driving and flying. M&K is gonna be great for on foot with first person. No more auto lock combat like on the PS3.

My dilemma is driving AND shooting. Using M&K is going to make shooting much easier, but then I'll need to be using the keyboard to drive while doing that....

I guess it will come down to how well the cars handle with non-analog controls.

First world problems.

This is my concern as well. Getting excited to test out all the options and find the one that feels right though, it's never been too big an issue with GTA games on PC for me to strike that balance somehow. Maybe after release we can have a thread for this and share some ideas on what works best so far for us individually, and share some things others haven't thought of yet to make it easier out the gate. KB/M shooting is going to be crucial for GTA Online, at least... who knows, maybe it's time to break out the ol' SpaceOrb 360 or microsoft Strategic Commander, lol

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Preloads
53. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 9, 2015, 00:10 Mordecai Walfish

Xero wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 15:24:
I'm excited for those dishing out the $60 full price. I on the other hand will wait for a deal or price drop. Got plenty to stay busy with meantime.

greenmangaming just issued a 22% off code for GTAV:

SAVE22-ONGTAP-RELOAD

You still get all the preorder bonuses with that too.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
10. Re: Sunday Mobilization Apr 6, 2015, 02:45 Mordecai Walfish

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 5, 2015, 22:38:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 5, 2015, 21:50:
Been using a HTC One m7 for almost 2 years now and am still super-happy with it. Upgraded to Android 5.02 back in January through my provider. (Unfortunately Sprint, but I pay a little over $70/mo with unlimited data and an excellent 4G signal everywhere in my city. Never once dropped a call and when traveling across the country last year I was surprised to even get reception in places like Yellowstone. I actually get faster speeds through them than my home ISP.. go figure.

Gonna upgrade to the HTC One M9 this year, as it has the sorely missing SD card slot that the original One m7 lacked. USB OTG works fine for now, but is nowhere as convenient as having SD available, especially with the 128GB+ sizes available now.. and you can't charge your phone while the OTG cable is plugged in, which also is quite limiting. I also like the fact that they are keeping the screen resolution at 1920x1080 and not going 1440 or 4k like other flagship phones. It's completely unnecessary for a ~5 inch screen, and takes up valuable resources and battery that could be better utilized elsewhere in the device.

To be honest the biggest problem I have with the new type of smart phones is that you can't see shit in the sunlight. I want a liquid e-ink phone display!

Yeah that is a problem sometimes on really sunny days, isn't OLED supposed to perform better in those kinds of situations too?

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
7. Re: Sunday Mobilization Apr 5, 2015, 21:50 Mordecai Walfish

Been using a HTC One m7 for almost 2 years now and am still super-happy with it. Upgraded to Android 5.02 back in January through my provider. (Unfortunately Sprint, but I pay a little over $70/mo with unlimited data and an excellent 4G signal everywhere in my city. Never once dropped a call and when traveling across the country last year I was surprised to even get reception in places like Yellowstone. I actually get faster speeds through them than my home ISP.. go figure.

Gonna upgrade to the HTC One M9 this year, as it has the sorely missing SD card slot that the original One m7 lacked. USB OTG works fine for now, but is nowhere as convenient as having SD available, especially with the 128GB+ sizes available now.. and you can't charge your phone while the OTG cable is plugged in, which also is quite limiting. I also like the fact that they are keeping the screen resolution at 1920x1080 and not going 1440 or 4k like other flagship phones. It's completely unnecessary for a ~5 inch screen, and takes up valuable resources and battery that could be better utilized elsewhere in the device.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
23. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 5, 2015, 21:31 Mordecai Walfish

Dacron wrote on Apr 5, 2015, 19:06:
siapnar wrote on Apr 5, 2015, 16:48:
I should check GMG more often then.

But I guess a couple of the advantages through Steam are the ability to preload as well as connect with your friends list

Pre-load is steam, or rockstar social (gmg is this) - http://www.pcgamer.com/gta-5-preload-begins-april-7/

They only mention Rockstar Social and Steam Orders on there, but for GMG it is stated directly on the product page for GTA V:

"Grand Theft Auto V for PC will be available for pre-load prior to release."

Just doesn't say *when* it will be available for pre-load, but it's a safe bet it will be around the same time as the others.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 4, 2015, 23:00 Mordecai Walfish

That ad has been getting a ton of exposure, in fact every time I watch a show from showbox on my android I see this very ad.  

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - DARK SOULS II: Scholar of the First Sin
7. Re: Steamship Ahoy - DARK SOULS II: Scholar of the First Sin Apr 2, 2015, 23:19 Mordecai Walfish

Overon wrote on Apr 2, 2015, 18:04:
They are reselling the version of the game with DX11 graphics they promised in the initial release with some different item and enemy placement and more text descriptions. And the graphics especially the shadows and lighting are still not quite what they showed in 2013. Also with graphics mods like GEDOSATO, you largely get the "better graphics" already in the DX9 version. To show you how much they give a shit, they are splitting the community between the DX11 and the DX9 version because those are not multiplayer compatible. They are largely just reselling the game. Oh did I mention that the single player save games are also not compatible and you have to start a new character? You need a chart to keep track of what you get and how much the "upgrade" costs based on what you bought previously. Fuck em.
QFT
I don't know why everyone is so excited to get the shaft from yet another shady publisher. sure their games have a unique hardcore mechanic and are a fun grind, but this is just a BS cash grab that has absolutely no benefit, and actually a lot of detriment to existing owners of their game (unless they pay up, that is..)

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 2, 2015, 18:02 Mordecai Walfish

Parsons has nothing to do with godaddy anymore. The CEO is an ex-Microsoft VP (from the Windows live division apparently, lol). His name is Blake Irving.  

News Comments > DiRT 3 Collection "With 100% Less GFWL"
4. Re: DiRT 3 Collection Apr 2, 2015, 02:55 Mordecai Walfish

Very awesome of them to release all the DLC for free to those of us who never purchased it, and also the way they just drop this upgrade into your steam list as if you already own it was a nice surprise. From Software should have done something like this with Dark Souls 2 instead of segregating the playerbase and charging existing owners of the game $20-$30 for an upgrade in the engine and some extra side shit, reminds me of the route that capcom takes with street fighter upgrades. I guess DS2 is alot newer of a game than DiRT3, so that's not exactly a fair comparison, but the graphics in both make them seem from the same generation, and DiRT3 is an excellent game. Either way it blows for consumers looking for a healthy playerbase and longevity in the multiplayer portion of the original and new version of DS2.  

News Comments > Evening Previews
17. Re: Evening Previews Apr 1, 2015, 00:26 Mordecai Walfish

I was the ~3000th person who backed this game, and have only spent $40 to date. I think it's great that the big fish are spending alot more than I have (or even the average person, it would seem...), as the game will have much more funding and be something larger than I had ever imagined when first backing it.

I have no problem with the big fish being out there with larger ships when the game finally releases, and if anything I think I very much prefer the challenge of building up my own fleet and capital ships eventually, because that is where most of the fun will be, IMO. If anything, the people starting off with all of this are kind of short-changing themselves from this experience. I want to come up as a small independent rogue fighter and trader and see where I can get to.

There seems to be some kind of weird tribalism brewing between backers and non-backers, and that really is the only poor experience I've had with any of this. None of it really matters in the end though, it will be what it will be no matter how many fanboys or ragenerds decide they want to draw a line somewhere in the digital sand.

Looking forward to finally getting a chance to play this when it's ready, and hopefully the BluesNews crew will be fighting alongside me at that time too (I think only 10 or so are in the group, but that's a good start!) There are plenty of other amazing games to play while this comes to fruition, so why sweat it?

873 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo