Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 741 (Apprentice)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players
29. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 17:11 Mordecai Walfish

I had so much hope for quakelive when it was first announced and then for about a year after it was released.. but then they started on this repeated trend of dividing an already fledgling community and I stopped playing because of the repeated mismanagement that was going on with the quakelive project.

With it coming to steam this nerfed version may be popular with people just starting to play, but what happens when they decide they want to get better? They have this obstacle of re-learning the game with different mechanics, in a game that takes umpteen thousand hours to even be slightly competent in the current competitive scene.

It's an interesting idea.. but not a good one.

I guess there's the interesting idea that it will be much easier for people playing with gamepads in steam's big picture mode. If it was limited to gamepad-only players this might actually make alot of sense, because they would never be competitive with kb/m players in the first place, and the gamepad makes some of the changed mechanics very difficult to pull off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 27, 2014, 19:12 Mordecai Walfish

Julio wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 15:27:
NegaDeath wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 15:13:
8TB? Wow, that'll hold a lot of por.....I mean games. Yes, games.

Lol, beat me to it. That is a lot of...games.

Actually, the full title of the linked article beat you both to it

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Video; Funding to be Deemphasized
26. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Video; Funding to be Deemphasized Aug 20, 2014, 23:40 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 18:39:
While continued funding is necessary to build Star Citizen at the current level of AAA fidelity and no compromises,

What? Didn't you guys say back way when you started, that you needed 20 to 25 million to make the game fully without compromises. And now you have 50 million, and yet you need more funding to build Star Citizen?

These two statements don't match up. You said you needed 20 or 25 million for the game, and everything extra that you've promised since then should have already been funded through the stretch goals. So why do you NEED more money to keep building this game? I get that it's nice to get more money, but you shouldn't NEED it. You should already have enough money to build this game, and all the stretch goals you've promised, because you already collected money to do those things.

build Star Citizen at the current level of AAA fidelity and no compromises

Hugely expansive AAA titles have budgets well in excess of 100 million now, so improving things over the $50 million mark is surely possible.. is it not? They didn't say the additional funding was to make it as good as they expected it to be at the $25 million mark, I think the plan is to make a better game with the extra resources, and people are willing to pay for that chance.

And did you hear about the hookers and blow? Happy developers make excellent games. Beatnik

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2014, 15:54 Mordecai Walfish

I was camping in Yellowstone for the first time the night of the supermoon and persieds meteor shower, was just a random occurance as well as we didn't know that either were occurring that night. I was camped right on the east side of Yellowstone lake and it was breathtaking seeing the moon and even a few meteors reflecting on the vast expanse of water there.  

News Comments > More King's Quest Details
6. Re: More King's Quest Details Aug 13, 2014, 15:02 Mordecai Walfish

Kind of disappointed to hear that the odd gentlemen are behind it, as their recent release wayward manor was pretty lame and I haven't seen them do anything in the past that would give me confidence in their rendition of kings quest will be any good.

Would love to play a proper new quest for glory, however.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Access Expands
21. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Access Expands Aug 7, 2014, 19:10 Mordecai Walfish

A gaming news site, with greater focus on PC games, talking about one of the biggest PC games on the horizon and the ability for more PC gamers to play the first released portion now?

The audacity! We should be talking about other stuff.. like the Kardashians! duhhhhhhhhhhh Flamethrower Trollbashing

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Aug 5, 2014, 19:32 Mordecai Walfish

The new Natural Selection 2 update is loooong overdue as it finally addresses the performance issues with this engine, something I was hoping the new development community would tackle.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with the updates they've put out since taking the reins earlier this year.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2014, 14:05 Mordecai Walfish

But I'm living proof of copper's magical powers! I once lost a testicle due to an unfortunate accident involving a male prostitute in a Minneapolis airport bathroom and my copper underwear helped to grow it back! For realzies!  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 4, 2014, 13:27 Mordecai Walfish

Growing up using early DOS machines (8088-486) I was always fascinated by the newest products of the demoscene and would create specific menus in DOS through batch and txt files showcasing my favorites in an archive I started collecting since the 80's. I'm always happy to see the newest releases from assembly and similar festivals.. yet it's so shocking what can be fit in 4k/64k/etc with a GPU providing such a powerful backbone for demos nowadays, just as shocking sometimes as seeing the wild graphical demos of yesteryear.

I'm glad release groups are still out there 1-upping eachother every year, and I imagine many streamlined graphical techniques and shaders have been adapted from their work over the years.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 1, 2014, 23:34 Mordecai Walfish

The price is right.. I'll gladly check it out =)  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2014, 13:23 Mordecai Walfish

I would watch it, another vote for do! Just upload to youtube so I dont miss a livestream =)  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2014, 14:59 Mordecai Walfish

DELETED

Hit quote instead of edit and can't delete my own double post in good ol' 2014.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2014, 14:53 Mordecai Walfish

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 13:11:
ForgedReality wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 12:07:
Logitech G Unveils World’s Fastest Gaming Mouse

Now if only they could put that tech in the best "mouse" ever created: The M570. Why thumb balls haven't achieved a wider adoption, I'll never understand. It's so much better in every conceivable way. It's faster, it's more accurate, easier on the hand/wrist, you never have to worry about running out of desk/mousepad, etc. Oh, and the lag-free RF wireless? Fuck yes! Do this for my mouse, and I'll buy 10, and hand them out to friends. Otherwise, it's just another stupid gimmick.

No no.. the best mouse ever created is the mx518 (Ps.: The mx518 already tracks as fast as I can move.. maybe I just move slower ,p)

This is actually amusing because I originally played competitively in quake1/2 with a Logitech Trackman Marble, the predecessor to the m570 and always swore by it, and then when they stopped making the original trackman marble I got used to playing with a regular mouse (WMO 1.1) and then eventually settled on the mx518 (oc'd to 500hz, of course) as my go-to mouse. Now the g400 is logitech's replacement for the mx518 and is better in many ways than the original, so that's what I've stuck with for the past 4 years.

That being said; you're both correct.. both are exceptional input devices =)

Beamer wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 13:59:

I swore by this thing in my 2.5D days. I didn't feel it held up as well with the move to 3D.

And that looks to be a very early version of the trackman marble, before they added a ps2 port and ergonomics to the mix, lol. Looks cool though =)

jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 13:53:
Napkin calculations say 500 inches per second is over 28 mph.

Mouse outruns human.

I'd imagine a pro gamer or baseball pitcher could feasibly flick their wrist @ 28mph, so there might be someone out there who has a low enough sensitivity to make this useful =)

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2014, 15:00.

News Comments > No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers
16. Re: No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers Jul 29, 2014, 14:22 Mordecai Walfish

Beamer wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 12:58:
Bundles tend to be a good way to get people to buy your game, as it's a great value, and start talking about it somewhere.

I completely agree that bundles are a great way to get your game noticed, even if you take a hit on money made from the number shipped. Tons of people see the bundle mailers and advertisements on gaming sites for them, but I believe a good natural progression for that advertisement is to allow them steam keys too so their friends can see them playing it, and at least check the store page out. A very small fraction of the people who bought the bundle are doing it just for this game, so it's money that wouldn't have made otherwise.. so why not let their friends see them playing it as well?

News Comments > No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers
14. Re: No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers Jul 29, 2014, 12:49 Mordecai Walfish

A great way to help promote your game would be to actually give the steam keys so people can see their friends playing it on steam and maybe get more people to notice it and write reviews on the game via steam too..

Unless they are afraid of people writing reviews or noticing it.. and it does look terrible so I Cant blame them

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2014, 12:07 Mordecai Walfish

Aah I've been waiting for this news.. with gtaV coming this fall and new nvidia cards it's definitely going to be upgrade time for me. I need at least a 780ti in performance with 3-4 gigs of ram to keep up with my schedule of doubling performance with each gpu upgrade. Went from 7600 to 8800gt, then sli'd 8800's to a GTX480 that I still have to a 880 or 780ti depending on prices this fall... Gfx ram has to at least double as well, so 880 is likely the ticket unless I can find compelling markdowns on a 780/ti  

News Comments > GTA4 iCEnhancer Mod Author Taking a Break
5. Re: GTA4 iCEnhancer Mod Author Taking a Break Jul 28, 2014, 12:20 Mordecai Walfish

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 10:45:
Glad I looked here first. I was going to grab the mod because I thought it was a compilation mod that does a full overhaul, assembled out of several different ones.

Oh well. That's alright, I'll wait for gta5 at this point.

If/when the website for iCEnhancer comes back up, there's likely links to texture packs and such as well there. Check the GTA modding sites for graphic overhaul guides/packs also to go with it. It's a bit more work than a simple installer to get everything, but shouldn't be too hard if you're really wanting to overhaul GTA4. I recommend the realistic handling mod also, if you're looking to get back into GTA4 and have a better experience with it.

News Comments > Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust
11. Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust Jul 28, 2014, 12:15 Mordecai Walfish

{PH}88fingers wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 11:41:
Oh and think about this, if Chris Roberts stated that RSI was working on another game, imagine how much shit he would be getting, this site would explode with vitriol.

That's true, but not wholly relevant to this, as RSI/Star Citizen was kickstarted, and Rust was early access and very much playable upon release, having been built with money earned from Garry's Mod.

News Comments > GTA4 iCEnhancer Mod Author Taking a Break
2. Re: GTA4 iCEnhancer Mod Author Taking a Break Jul 28, 2014, 09:54 Mordecai Walfish

When you release youtube videos of your fantastic "mod" and don't give proper credit to all the other mods you used to create said video, people might start being a little upset.

It's also a little deceitful to people watching said videos when you don't disclose that what they're going to download is not what is contained in said videos..

iCEnhancer is really just an ENBseries filter with custom settings by some dude. Yes, they look great in the right instances, but it's not the graphical overhaul that people come into it thinking that it is. That requires hours of seeking out and downloading textures, cars, etc to get anything remotely close to what he shows as "his mod".

I believe that about sums up the source of the negative response he has gotten over this. It would have helped if he could have been a bit more honest in his promotion and execution of this release.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 28, 2014, 09:47 Mordecai Walfish

A movie chronicling the excavation of one of the most disappointing moments in gaming I had experienced in my lifetime. There is absolutely nothing about the E.T. videogame that is either nostalgic or charming to me. It is definitely the worst game I have ever played, and the source of many WTF moments and frustration when I was a kid.

I would go so far as to say that I would pay to *not* ever see this movie or the associated video game again, if possible.. it's that bad.

741 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo