Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordecai Walfish

Real Name Mordecai Walfish   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 20, 2011, 16:53
Total Comments 770 (Graduate)
User ID 56178

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Halloween Event
2. Re: Team Fortress 2 Halloween Event Oct 24, 2014, 03:20 Mordecai Walfish

bhcompy wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 00:59:
Let me guess... free hats?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6XtsPXtPkc

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
18. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 21, 2014, 02:01 Mordecai Walfish

Been a huge fan of CCCP (The Combined Community Codec Pack) since I first discovered it around 2005. Combined with QT-lite to prevent having to install apple's shitty Quicktime bloatware that was used as a trojan horse for other shitty software like iTunes (don't know if they still do this..), it's become my go-to media player for windows pc's.  

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Oct 1, 2014, 15:06 Mordecai Walfish

Such a trash article. It would take someone really friggin stupid to expect a "holo-deck type experience" from the first generation of consumer VR. This product is for people who are interested in embarking.g on the first steps towards that, not people who expect the complete holo-deck experience when we can't even get decent internet (upload speeds, at least) in most places. Dumb dumb dumb  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 30, 2014, 17:52 Mordecai Walfish

It bends, but does it blend?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2014, 20:06 Mordecai Walfish

life is feudal looks interesting, and it's $5 cheaper if you buy it from their website: (don't know if that comes with a steam key though)

http://www.lifeisfeudal.com/LiFYO

News Comments > Styx Next Month; New Trailers
14. Re: Styx Next Month; New Trailers Sep 28, 2014, 19:29 Mordecai Walfish

Task wrote on Sep 28, 2014, 18:16:
I take it people are not looking forward to this. Looks pretty interesting to me. Pretty cool to play as a Goblin for once, the ancient creatures that lurk in the shadow and dark places of the Earth.

Apparently this is a prequel to the "Of Orcs and Men" video game.

It does look interesting. I appreciate when games break away from having the same reused hero role. Looks like they are putting a lot of thought into ways to make the orc unique, as well as including some regular conventions of the stealth genre.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Sep 27, 2014, 15:20 Mordecai Walfish

So nice of arsTechnica to run a 2-page advertisement for Thrustmaster in the form of an article!

I always wanted the Warthog HOTAS ever since it was released, but the price has kept me from it. The really appealing element for me was the hall-effect sensors used in the stick. The most common part to mess up in a good (or cheap) flight stick is the potentiometers they use in them. Hall effect sensors are much more resilient and accurate, and have shown to not be nearly as failure prone as old potentiometers used in joysticks. Also, they lack the need for any "dead zone calibration" and such as they are instantly calibrated upon being plugged in, with no "dead zone" unless you artificially create one in software. I picked up a much cheaper joystick from Thrustmaster with hall-effect sensors, the t-16000m. Cheaply made plastic shell and buttons on it, but the joystick itself is excellent.

News Comments > Styx Next Month; New Trailers
1. Re: Styx Next Month; New Trailers Sep 27, 2014, 14:59 Mordecai Walfish

That's not Styx! I vividly remember the real Styx...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCH9edA4Gdw

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans
41. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans Sep 26, 2014, 15:15 Mordecai Walfish

Quinn wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 12:59:
Apparantly we need 6GB of VRAM for ULTRA texture maps, which is weird but ok. A worse thing is that we need 3GB for high, 2GB for MEDIUM and 1.2GB for LOW. This is crazy.

I'd like to see comparisson videos or screenshots between ULTRA, HIGH, MEDIUM and LOW res textures because apparantly I need to set my texture maps to LOW with my normally more than capable NVIDIA GTX 680. It's absolutely crazy

In a couple years time people will only be running new games on LOW textures with 2-3gb of ram... progress and stuff =P I remember being shocked that I needed more than the 512 mb of ram on my 8800GT for high textures in GTA IV, now I expect GTAV will likely require 2-4 GB for maximum texture res on PC, 512 being bare minimum.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 26, 2014, 14:20 Mordecai Walfish

descender wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 12:09:
I've been hemming over buying the new hard drives I need as these are all full... been waiting for the next "leap" in storage space. 3-4TB drives don't really interest me, but a 10 or 20tb drive certainly would. Anyone have any inkling of when that may be a reality? I've been waiting for what seems like years at this point.

As someone else pointed out, they are just starting production of such high-capacity 3.5 inch drives, but I would not expect decently priced consumer versions until about a year from now. 20TB I would expect 1.5-2yrs after that.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 26, 2014, 14:06 Mordecai Walfish

killer_roach wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 11:53:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 19:04:
Remastering games that are less than a year old seems like an odd move.. are they gonna "remaster" the pc version too?

More than likely the "remaster" just gives them the visual content the PC version has had since launch.

The 360, ps3 and PC versions all had identical graphics, just better resolution on the PC.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 25, 2014, 19:04 Mordecai Walfish

Remastering games that are less than a year old seems like an odd move.. are they gonna "remaster" the pc version too?  

News Comments > Steam Discovery Update
41. Re: Steam Discovery Update Sep 24, 2014, 18:02 Mordecai Walfish

Steam just added music library support to control music playback from the overlay.

Very welcome feature, indeed! I hope it supports streams, trying now.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 24, 2014, 14:07 Mordecai Walfish

UHD wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 12:40:
#bendghazi

LOL

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 24, 2014, 10:44 Mordecai Walfish

Henry Dorsett wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 10:26:
Once again, Riot dodges the real issue: Their ranking system is shit. No matter how well you do, if your team loses, your ranking score drops. You can have 100 kills and no deaths and your team can still lose, so you'll still suffer. Which means, unless you can reliably win every game with zero help from anyone, there's no reliable way to advance in solo-queue ranked play.

Helping your team as best you can in every match is the *only* reliable way to advance in solo queue, even if it means you're not always going to win.

News Comments > PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+ Free Week on Steam
3. Re: PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+ Free Week on Steam Sep 23, 2014, 13:24 Mordecai Walfish

descender wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 22:30:
My absolute favorite version of pacman. For $3 ($5 bundled with all dlc) this is a must buy.

The trailers make it look a lot faster and out of control than it actually plays. Most of the game is following patterns, switching back and forth from one side of the board to the other. Game speed 50 in the trailers is not something you will be touching at the beginning, and by the time you do... you will be entirely too zen to notice.

Thanks for the recommend! Getting out the arcade stick and downloading now =)

News Comments > Steam Discovery Update
34. Re: Steam Discovery Update Sep 23, 2014, 13:11 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 21:03:
Howzabout a new UI? Some good skins for that UI? The ability to actually remove stuff from our libraries like old betas and such? How about actually really ending Greenlight and stop adding every piece of crap there is to Steam?

Right click the item you would like to remove from your library, choose "set category" and click the box that says "hide this title from my library".

Voila! You will never have to hurt your head again looking at old betas and stuff you don't want on your list.

I just did this with my Steam library and everything is organized with no extra stuff I don't want there. I can't erase from my history that I ever had played or added a beta to my library, but I certainly can clean them up, and you can too! Feel The Power!

I personally would rather have them build an effective and inclusive UI then build multiple ones with unique problems to sort out and waste disk space needlessly. I don't stare at Steam much, it's simply a gateway to games.

Jerykk wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 12:44:
Krovven, I feel like you don't understand how good UI works. If I have to access a separate page to see basic information like how many card drops I have left, that's woefully inefficient.

Overloading screens with useless crap like "card drops" is not what I would consider a "good UI" or efficient.

Also, why on god's green earth would you think a business would do things that would be bad for their business? Showing average play hours can discourage people at either end of a spectrum, looking for something with more depth and play hours or looking for something with less depth and play hours and costing sales because of this inclusion. And to think that any online store would advertize the prices of their competitors to give them more business when they are able to secure a sale or promotion? Or even show their own price history, inciting potential buyers to wait until the price goes down to a certain level. This would counter the regular promotions they have with prices and titles & it's just ridiculous to think that they would ever add this. This just seems like common sense to me.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2014, 19:43.

News Comments > Big Pharma Announced
7. Re: Big Pharma Announced Sep 23, 2014, 12:36 Mordecai Walfish

I feel bad for any game developer who has such shitty systems that they are complaining about 40 minute load times in games that regularly load in a minute to two. What are you developing your game on, Pentiums with that shiny new MMX technology?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2014, 13:21 Mordecai Walfish

lol, thats exactly what i referred to them as too. Didnt use twitter for almost a year and came back to find about a dozen fem-bots on my friends list. Easy to spot they have a pool of "I'm a girl on the rebound" tweets that they all seem to share.  

News Comments > PC GTA5 First-Person Support?
20. Re: PC GTA5 First-Person Support? Sep 22, 2014, 13:13 Mordecai Walfish

A toggle to make user-created races force 1st person view would be nice for the online portion. I would have a hell of a lot of fun with that. It wouldn't be something to use on *every* race, but some of them.

I hope for user gta-online servers where you can introduce your own scripting for things like voting systems before races for variables like this too, like in SA:MP.

770 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo