Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SS

Real Name SS   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SS
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2011, 03:23
Total Comments 67 (Suspect)
User ID 56145

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 11, 2014, 22:45 SS

They want $330,000 for that? Its not going to happen.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Toxikk Dedicated Servers Requested
5. Re: Toxikk Dedicated Servers Requested Aug 6, 2014, 02:22 SS

I just assumed dedicated servers would have been in from the get go, shame this isn't the case. I hope they listen to the fans.

Still, I love the look of this and I'm glad to read there's bots for offline play. I'll probably get this day one.

News Comments > Op Ed
47. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2014, 09:16 SS

jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 06:11:
SS wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 23:37:
Wow one George Carlin reference causes an eruption.
Just for the record I like Anita and I agree with many of her points, but not all of them. What she says doesn't bother me, even the things I don't agree with. The thing is, all she's doing by complaining is appealing to men to do what she wants, which isn't very female empowering. If she wants real change then she should put her money where her mouth is and make a game herself, with an all female staff. Action speaks louder than words. I'd buy a copy.

Sorry, SS (really? You chose "SS" as your name?) but that's a bullshit response.
First, a person can criticize trends in an industry without needing to join that industry and try to improve it. "Oh, you didn't like the movie? Go make your own movie then." See how dumb that sounds?
Second, if the only people allowed to criticize an industry were those participating in it, said criticism would be extremely myopic and weak. In fact, you'd have almost no criticism at all.

SS is my initials, not some allusion to anything else, so I don't get what that has to do with the discussion.
You make a facile argument, taste in a movie is not the same as trying to make a cultural change in an industry, so yes I see how dumb your point sounds. Where did I write that she has to be in the industry to criticize it? Anybody can do that and I wouldn't stop her, but she obviously wants to change things which is a different kettle of fish. If you want to change things you need to take real action, not sit around and point the finger in the hopes that people will listen and do it for you. Her making a game is just one idea for an action,(you know, leading by example) where as making a video series telling people things they already know is pissing up a rope.

I'm sure you'll disagree with me and that's fine, but I don't understand why everyone is getting so heated over this. Its really not a big issue.
Here's something to put it into perspective http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZgYso0vxnQ

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 23:37 SS

Wow one George Carlin reference causes an eruption.
Just for the record I like Anita and I agree with many of her points, but not all of them. What she says doesn't bother me, even the things I don't agree with. The thing is, all she's doing by complaining is appealing to men to do what she wants, which isn't very female empowering. If she wants real change then she should put her money where her mouth is and make a game herself, with an all female staff. Action speaks louder than words. I'd buy a copy.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 09:40 SS

Anita Sarkeesian is one cute little cupcake.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity in October; New Trailers
14. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity in October; New Trailers Jun 10, 2014, 09:02 SS

NKD wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 07:29:
SS wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 06:58:
Presumably a multi-million dollar budget and they cant afford actors that can do a French accent.

I see this kind of comment a lot when it comes to games, but believe it or not, it's intentional. Ubisoft is a French company, and their biggest studio is in Montreal. Most of the developers are probably French speakers. It's not as if they are being lazy or ignorant or can't find people with French accents. They just don't want voice actors with thick accents. It can make people hard to understand, and in the worst cases, can be very grating to the ears to hear for hours on end.

This is why you'll see thicker accents trimmed back to be merely the flavor of an accent. Native French speakers usually have very thick accents when speaking English. It's not very pleasant to the ears.

For example, Edward Kenway was voiced by a genuine Welsh actor, but not one with a particularly thick Welsh accent.

Basically, no one wants to listen to more accented voices. They are fucking annoying. It's like talking to Samesh in Customer Care for the 20-40 hour length of a game.

Its a shame that its intentional, I can't say accents bother me. It sounds a little bit more authentic that's all.
I hate to be the guy that whines about "dumbing things down" for the audience, but I find this sort of thing annoying. Anyway its only a minor gripe, I'd still probably get it, I do like the setting over all.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity in October; New Trailers
12. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity in October; New Trailers Jun 10, 2014, 06:58 SS

Presumably a multi-million dollar budget and they cant afford actors that can do a French accent.  

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Siege Announced
14. Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Announced Jun 10, 2014, 06:47 SS

Great visuals and the destruction looked impressive, but this all just seems like they want to poach the call of duty crowd.  

News Comments > Titanfall Expedition Gameplay Trailer
1. Re: Titanfall Expedition Gameplay Trailer May 12, 2014, 23:32 SS

Ten bucks for three maps. What a rip off. We used to get map packs for free. UT had 4 bonus packs.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs Character Trailer
8. Re: Watch Dogs Character Trailer May 9, 2014, 00:38 SS

This should be called "Watch dogs character cliche trailer"  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare in November
7. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare in November May 2, 2014, 09:40 SS

So this is really COD 11.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 31, 2014, 21:23 SS

If thieves were more reluctant to steal phones then nobody would need to replace them. Which means that would eat into the phone manufacturers profits, and I'm pretty sure they would much rather have a slice of that $2.5bn.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 26, 2014, 16:30 SS

Wikipedia founder calls alt-medicine practitioners “lunatic charlatans”.

That's because they are. I like this guy.

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
98. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 03:51 SS

So I guess facebook is going for a persistent online VR world where users can share pics of their cats, kids and favourite memes all in 3d.  

News Comments > Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled
5. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 21:33 SS

I'm a little concerned about the D-pad buttons though. I cant imagine a fighting game would work well on those.  

News Comments > Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled
1. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 20:12 SS

Yeah this design looks a lot better  

News Comments > Dishonored II at E3?
21. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 04:28 SS

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 02:44:
I quite enjoyed it, enough to even play through it twice with the "murder everyone" and the "be a nice guy" styles. (Note: Game is 10000 times better when you creatively murder everyone.)

However, I have no clue why this needs a sequel. The story was told, and told well...

I think Harvey Smith had actually said that he was on the fence about doing a sequel, as he felt the story was told as well.

I'd say the story of Corvo doesn't need a sequel (But I'm sure you could do one) but the universe they created has plenty of other tales that could be told. Plus I don't think publishers like one off games, they want to go for franchises which I imagine would net them more profits in the long run.

News Comments > Risen 3: The Titan Lords Confirmed
2. Re: Risen 3: The Titan Lords Confirmed Feb 24, 2014, 19:03 SS

Excellent, I loved Risen. More of it can only be good. Now I'll have to get around to actually playing Risen 2  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 23, 2014, 01:52 SS

Its probably too much to ask that they put a Metroid Prime game on PC.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 22, 2014, 00:02 SS

wtf_man wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 17:33:
China builds own phone OS, aims to be more secure than Android or iPhone

HA! ... HAhahahahahaha!

If you all think the NSA is bad... wait till you get a load of all the knock-off electronics by Huayi with back doors purposely designed in the products.

Yep and wait till the stories start trickling in of Chinese citizens disappearing in the night, after texting or saying the wrong thing.

67 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo