Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bortin

Real Name bortin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname bortin
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 27, 2011, 21:12
Total Comments 15 (Suspect)
User ID 56143

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch
11. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 27, 2012, 03:07 bortin

I really want the NS team to succeed, they really put their all into this project and NS2 has come together so nicely since the early beta releases. Can't wait to see their release trailer!!! The Exo Suit Trailer is awesome!

('-')y

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress
53. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 24, 2012, 00:45 bortin

Bhruic wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 00:35:
Wish people would stop giving Stardock the credit there and realize that Ironclad makes the Sins games. Stardock is certainly involved - as publisher if nothing else - but Ironclad codes the games.

I think Brad W. mentioned this mentioned earlier, but here's the link that you'd find interesting: Who developed SoaSE: Rebellion

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - A Game of Dwarves
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - A Game of Dwarves Oct 24, 2012, 00:16 bortin

Have you tried any of the graphic packs for Dwarf Fortress?

I couldn't get past the ASCII characters either, but once I got a graphic pack, oh lord, I lost months of my life building obsidian farms and dwarven atom smashers.

Here are a couple of the packs I used:

Mayday's Graphic Pack for Dwarf Fortress
Ironhand's Graphic Set for Dwarf Fortress

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned
10. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 23, 2012, 23:53 bortin

So, the "Slingshot Content Pack" has no actual slingshots as content. Fail.  

50. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 23:44 bortin

I was just paging through the E:FE "Hiergamenon" (don't ask me how the heck to pronounce it, it's like the civpedia I suppose) and I was struck by how all the female characters aren't scantily clad buxom arse posturing vixens. In fact, they are outright menacing in full kit (Lady Irane, Oracle Ceresa). Okay, okay, so Lady Pricipinee does look like she's got a couple of air shards tucked under her vest.

LOL if Brad W. was such a lech, you'd think he'd order the artists to make all the female NPC's be of the "Ready to SERVE YOU, m'ord!" ilk.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - A Game of Dwarves
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - A Game of Dwarves Oct 23, 2012, 22:47 bortin

From the release trailer:

"When dwarves start digging, the GROUNDS the limit!"

Cute. I'll probably pick this up during the weekend.

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 20:39 bortin

hatman13 wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 20:33:
Hey Draginol!

As to all of the naysayers out there - I challenge anyone to find a single instance in the games industry of a company making good on a previous mistake like this.

Just one.

Sword of the Stars 2 has been updated frequently and had a similar horrible launch. Kerberos is still plugging away at it (they just released their "All Clear" patch) but be careful mentioning that failed launch, they are REALLY sensitive about the subject (ie. they might ban you permanently from their forum! ).

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 18:38 bortin

I'd like to chime in, as I followed the story and was concerned about it up until I read that there were, what, two or three other women who were there and witnessed the alleged sexual harassment. They all side with Brad W. and defend him.

So, we got 1 lady who got upset over whatever the heck was said and threw the sexual harassment allegation out there and we got multiple witnesses who refute that something criminal occurred. Either Brad W. has these other wo0manz on a leash (from the employee videos I saw on the E:FE site, the women who work there are not weak willed nor stupid) or the allegations are based on too much "sensitivity" in the modern work place. And, yeah, women can be abusive and manipulative as well (no duh comment there for the adult guys!).

Damn, I just wish I had time to give the 1.0 release a whirl!!!

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 15:15 bortin

quartertothree.com impression of E:FE

I think the game will be received pretty well, considering what I played in the beta and initial reaction like the above.

The thing about that burned once comment, is that you got E:FE for "free" if you had purchased the original way back when, so Stardock can't really burn you twice in regards to E:FE, unless you factor in the cost of spare time (which is really valuable on the other hand!).

News Comments > Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced
8. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 17, 2012, 01:14 bortin

The combat in SotS 2 is very pretty and it has segment and component destruction and top, bottom, sides for armor that need to be pierced to get to internal damage. Ships have thrust, mass, etc. And you have tiny fighters to leviathan sized ships. It can get pretty complex and you can get tactical with those things to factor in. Though, you can also just drag select and throw them into the mix and hope for the best, so it's not a total chore to pewpew.

The ships and the combat effects in SotS 2 are some of the best I've seen for a 4X game.

Is it fun, but it is hit and miss with some of the battles and how they play out. You'll probably want to give up on the game when you run into one of the "exciting" asteroid deep impact missions. Yes, you just shoot at rocks for 2-5 minutes, even with time acceleration.

The AI is supposed to be beefed up, but I haven't had enough time to try out the newest beta build. The last time I checked in with the AI at any length a month ago, it kept sending piece meal ships at my armada. Supposedly it's been fixed.

The only other space 4x game of quality that comes to mind is Sins of Solar Empire: Rebellion and Endless Space. I tinkered with Endless, and it's very well polished and fun, but the combat can get mind numbingly boring and stale after awhile.

News Comments > Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced
5. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 16, 2012, 23:26 bortin

SOTS2, Elemental and Stronghold 3 where games I saw crash and burn on launch. I believed that the devs would patch/enhance them, in time. SH3, from what I read, didn't deliver enough with their patches and re-release, but SOTS2 (and Elemental) have delivered and didn't charge more to do it.

It's still a shame they did release the game in such a CRAPPY STATE. But at least Kerberos stuck with that pile of crap and polished it up to something FUN and UNIQUE for the past year. I think the big "All Clear" patch is about to go live very soon.

I am kind of "meh" about this next big thing from Kerberos. I like Kerberos and their games, but The Pit? I don't see a feature or style that Dungeons of Dredmor doesn't do better. I didn't see anything unique or new about The Pit, other than the whole sci-fi thing. Where the hell is the Northstar info? :p'

News Comments > Elemental: Fallen Enchantress This Month
6. Re: Elemental: Fallen Enchantress This Month Oct 10, 2012, 05:17 bortin

Stardock did stop patching the original Elemental and they did refocus all effort on Elemental: Fallen Enchantress.

But to be fair, anyone who purchased Elemental way back when are getting E:FE for FREE. So, in a way, they DID fix up Elemental and the update didn't require further purchase.

I've played the recent beta and it's fun and vastly improved from the original. I totally regretted purchasing Elemental way back when, but now that Stardock delivered on the updated game, I'm happy since I now have a fun product to play for the $$$ I coughed up.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter
20. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 29, 2011, 11:59 bortin

Okay, it is the release version they put up, it just plays like a beta.

Very rough execution. It looks to be a fun and graphically beautiful 4x game. Consider jumping in only if you are willing to fund a $39.99 alpha/beta test at this stage.

Different genres, but Dungeon Defenders is $14, Terraria $5, King Arthurs Gold $9, etc etc. Yeah, you're gonna have to be a hardcore 4x fan or of the SotS series to jump into it at that price point.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter
16. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 29, 2011, 02:28 bortin

The updated patch/build is out now -- they uploaded *another* BETA release by mistake?

Options setting button is disabled, no cut scenes, numerous UI screw ups and game breaking bugs and interface traps that require ending the game task. Sigh.

News Comments > Shogun 2: Total War Trailer, Q&A
11. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Trailer, Q&A Jan 27, 2011, 16:13 bortin

If you watched the Siege battle cast, you can see that the AI is still brain dead. The guy playing was acting like a total twit (why put my archers under cover of the battlements? I'll have them stand out in the open and watch overwhelming numbers climb a wall and charge them! Oh ha ha ha, the AI is tricky, it killed my archers, I didn't expect that!) and he still managed to hold off being slaughtered for a good 10 minutes.

Gotta love that feigned surprise also when flanked because he basically just sat on his hands the whole battle. OH NO - I R FLANKED??? Yes, even a slug can flank a rock! \(0_o)/

I love the TW series but since I love it, I've been through all the games and the PR rhythm that is CA. Gonna get it, but it's the same song and dance.

15 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo