Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Leon

Real Name Leon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname lochwinnoch78
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 7, 2011, 17:19
Total Comments 17 (Suspect)
User ID 56115

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
120. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2013, 10:55 lochwinnoch78

Like so many others have said, I've read about Hudson the Wonder Dog for well over 10 years and feel like I know her and her antics better than some people I actually see every day.

My thoughts are with you all Blue - it's so sad to lose anyone dear, but you were so very lucky to have the gift of sharing her life together.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New APB Game Kickstarter
18. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 28, 2013, 17:44 lochwinnoch78

Is this anything to do with APB that I had on the Commodore 64 or Amiga, where you were a cop. Top down view in a squad car, collected doughnuts etc ?  

News Comments > Valve Confirms New Engine?
53. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 13, 2012, 09:22 lochwinnoch78

I agree with this point specifically. I've been playing games for around 25 years - a lot of them; many of them major titles. I now find enemy AI in FPS games so utterly predictable there's little challenge, which is really frustrating. I beat Dishonored in around 10 hours, largely because I knew (even before I needed to use it) that a guard in an alerted state would "cool down" every time as long as I hid. That's exactly what happened. It really buggers up how much I'm drawn into a game when a guard finds a STACK of dead bodies, then 2 mins later sheaths his sword and strolls off on his merry way.

The knowledge of previous states of items seems like an absolute no-brainer to me. I'd find it really exciting. The first 2 Thief games scared the pants off me when I'd be hiding in the dark and a guard would spot a torch I'd blown out and get suspicious and start hunting me out. I really loved that and I'm not sure I've ever really experienced it properly again.

News Comments > Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied
51. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 16:29 lochwinnoch78

Good point - I hadn't considered that. I'm actually rather jealous of their situation  

News Comments > Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied
43. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 06:21 lochwinnoch78

I agree with SXO on this. I also take your point Dev - they make a lot of money from Steam. But many businesses diversify their income streams to reduce exposure to risk. All eggs in 1 basket is very risky for a company. Steam sales might trickle off if they take their eye off the ball, another competitor may swoop in (Apple, Google, Microsoft - all highly experienced in software delivery). It's why they announced non-gaming software being made available on it recently - to maximise opportunity and reduce risk.

With so much experience in engine building, I would make a heavily upgraded one and
license it - it's a solid stream of B2B income completely removed from Steam.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2012, 17:19 lochwinnoch78

Here's a couple of relevant facts for you, from a Brit. I only recently read this about the Union Flag (the official name for the flag).

1. It's not the official flag of the UK (I.e. the union) - its the flag of the monarchy. It was never made official, merely adopted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Flag#Status)

2. Because it's not official, there's no official disposal method. Desecrating (e.g. Burning) the UK flag is not legislated against.

I'm 34 and only just finding this out mental. Happy flag day, US! At least you had the sense to make an official one

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October
2. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 11:44 lochwinnoch78

Agreed.

Amazon haven't listed it yet (UK) - I was that excited I wanted to add it to my wish list immediately

Anyways, dang excited about this reboot. Loving what I've seen (and the other XCom game, the FPS time-based one) and loved the originally, although it might have been the game I've been worst at in my entire life

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2012, 15:01 lochwinnoch78

Did the press release announce the launch date of Half Life 3? Is that what gave it away?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2012, 18:20 lochwinnoch78

I've just signed up to GiffGaff here in the UK, which is 10 per month (12 EUR) for 250 mins, free texts, free 3G data. Amazing deal and have seen no problems so far. I was on 4 times that much per month with a big name network here for years for the same deal, except data throttled to 500Mb per month.  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Dec 19, 2011, 05:52 lochwinnoch78

It's a bit worrying, this PDLC trend. I can completely understand the business strategy behind it, but I can also see it rapidly descending into a situation where what you buy at the till/online is pretty crappy or VERY bare-bones and you're expected to pay through the nose for characters, storylines, vehicles, weapons etc.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2011, 13:20 lochwinnoch78

And then there's the Pizza Cone too *shudders*

http://www.konopizza.it/eng/home.html

Out here in the UK, they're almost always round. Some poncy places sell them square and seem to think that makes them more elite, so whack a few extra quid on them, but - you're right - there's just no way to eat the dang thing properly

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
1. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Nov 4, 2011, 10:28 lochwinnoch78

Batman: Arkham Asylum (Mac) on Direct2Drive, GamersGate, Get Games, Macgamestore and MacGames.fr

TinyBlueURL version

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Nov 2, 2011, 14:59 lochwinnoch78

Also:
- Epic have run their Infinity Blade showpiece on there;
- The winner of Make Something Unreal Live will receive a commercial Unreal Engine 3 license for iOS (http://goo.gl/CErfh);
- Carmack showed off a RAGE demo on iOS (http://goo.gl/Kz1ZD)
- plenty of games are ported to it (e.g. originally web games like http://machinarium.net)
- it's heralding a revival of old skool gaming with titles like Speedball and Paperboy

I'm a lifelong Atari, C64, Amiga and PC gamer, with consoles only since the 360 and I still probably play more on iOS just because I can do it at any time, and don't need a TV. Certainly not saying it's better - it's different. Nothing beats and absorbing non-iOS game.

But I'm not at all surprised about the article, rightly or wrongly. Mobile is here to stay in a big way. Be interesting to see what the games industry can do to combine current gaming with mobile (beyond the recent map apps that have appeared) such as linking the 2 devices, or using them as a live inventory in an RPG etc.

77. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2011, 08:59 lochwinnoch78

Creston wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 17:44:
Thanks to all the long-time lurkers for responding, btw!

Creston

lol - I'm firmly in that camp. Guess I just haven't had much to say for..oh... ten years or so

51. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 16:18 lochwinnoch78

Sorry Blue, meant to answer the original post yesterday but got busy at work. Big call for you - I've been a reader since forever (your account logs should know :)). For me - this is still the only source I come to every day and I wait for the twice day updates. I'm in the UK so I dont always know when that is so when I do check and it's not updated I'm disappointed.

But! I'm not disappointed you haven't updated (as you would frequently in the model you're thinking of) - it's more anticipation. I know the batch update is coming so I mentally make a note to come back. When you do update I spend some quality time with it going through each link that's of interest.

The other sites I visit - IGN, game trailers, C+VG etc I don't feel loyal to. I check them infrequently and find it really hard to know what's been updated, what's new etc - largely because of their modular layout and classic segmented site structure.

I short, for years I've found this the easiest source to come to for daily games news - and also all the awesome other links you send.

I reckon you should try it the new way and see how it goes. I think I know my preference but you also have a site, and an income to run, so you cant only focus on us old timers

News Comments > Thief 4 at GDC?
31. Re: Thief 4 at GDC? Jan 7, 2011, 13:41 lochwinnoch78

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jan 7, 2011, 12:42:
lochwinnoch78 wrote on Jan 7, 2011, 12:20:
OMG OMG OMG this is about the most exciting thing I've seen in ages. I flat-out LOVE the Thief series and would kill to have it back.

Also, there's already a holding page up at http://www.thief4.com/

You're literally years behind I think that page was already up 2 years ago.

I'm just as excited about it as you are though. If they fuck one important thing up, however, which is how well you can stand your ground against multiple enemies, then this game will turn out as crap as Conviction. You'd simply feel like you're fooling yourself if you're being all sneaky while you might aswell run in sword swinging.

Yup, holding my heart for this one.

Haha - really? Dang. And there was me thinking I had uncovered something Ah well

News Comments > Thief 4 at GDC?
28. Re: Thief 4 at GDC? Jan 7, 2011, 12:20 lochwinnoch78

OMG OMG OMG this is about the most exciting thing I've seen in ages. I flat-out LOVE the Thief series and would kill to have it back.

Also, there's already a holding page up at http://www.thief4.com/

17 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo