Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for DCRoss

Real Name DCRoss   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Minuit
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jan 6, 2011, 00:41
Total Comments 55 (Suspect)
User ID 56109

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 This Month
21. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 This Month Sep 19, 2014, 15:30 Minuit

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 15:08:
SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 13:02:
nin wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 12:51:
My only gripe is them selling paint jobs. Is that new, or had it been there before and I just missed it?

Other than that, it's all good...

They've been selling those for a while now, and they are only cosmetics. I am sure they will have sales on packs of those or get them as rewards in game etc.
They don't bother me as much as the different ship variants for $100+ for that other space game

Imagine if they did what Valve does and created a marketplace where players could submit content, and the devs take a small cut from each sale. That would be amazing. The market is already there. They could even implement some kind of system that mirrors the existing in-game market that allows the price of things to fluctuate automatically based upon demand, should the content creator set it up that way, and only allow a certain number of the items to be allowed into the market, or something like that.

If you were a good enough artist/modeler/etc, you could easily make back the money you put into the game (and then some), while helping out the developers as well. Why haven't they done this already?

Maybe the world just isn't ready for that many penis-shaped space ships.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ryse: Son of Rome Next Month; Specs Revealed
21. Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Next Month; Specs Revealed Sep 4, 2014, 11:57 Minuit

Another month and a half before release? Looks like Crytek needs a few more weeks to serve all 11,500 dinners to their team.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 26, 2014, 15:15 Minuit

I didn't see "...but I can upgrade you to BLAST+ for only $9.99" on that list.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 13:36 Minuit

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 10:14:
And I'm willing to bet the EXACT SAME people who toss these comments ALSO wonder why they can't find a girlfriend, or complain that their girlfriend won't play games with them.

There's even proof of that.

News Comments > Dwarf Fortress Patch Next Month
9. Re: Dwarf Fortress Patch Next Month Jun 20, 2014, 15:41 Minuit

dj LiTh wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 12:23:
I always wanted to get into this, can someone point me to some good graphical mods (and others) that they use?

If you're just getting into this, the Lazy Newb Pack (or one of its descendants, since it is a bit out of date) is a good place to start.

Because of the... um... somewhat challenging user interface, it is strongly recommended that you watch a recent tutorial video or read the O'Reilly Book on the subject.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 11:59 Minuit

Let me see if I'm following this right...

"Yes, you can play the game if you like but if you want to win you will need to spend more at our online store than anyone else." -- That's EA.

"As I hope you’ve noticed, these rules are making attempts to prevent Minecraft servers becoming “pay-to-win.” We hate the idea of server hosts restricting Minecraft’s features to players who have already bought our game! It seems really mean." -- That's 'Literally worse than EA'".

I'm trying to find definitions of "better" and "worse" which fit these two data points, but it's making my head hurt.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 6, 2014, 10:23 Minuit

Are we at war with textbooks too? I suppose that would explain what has been happening in Texas.

News Comments > DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced
10. Re: DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced May 30, 2014, 17:08 Minuit

DangerDog wrote on May 30, 2014, 16:07:
I want to see them make an F35 sim that's accurate down to the engine start protocols.
Wildone wrote on May 30, 2014, 16:36:
Then you'd be in jail, its classified.
That would just mean that nobody could say that the game wasn't accurate without being investigated by one or more three letter agencies. They could put Cookie Monster and a gum-ball machine in the cockpit and nobody would be able to prove that it wasn't accurate.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned
16. Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 15:11 Minuit

Shineyguy wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 12:01:
If you're not touching something to do with that code, how the f*ck do you break it?

Sometimes I think that it's my full time job to ask people that question.

You don't have just one person doing the coding for a big project, it's more like dozens of them or even hundreds if you count all of the external libraries and tool kits used. And each one of them is busy checking out bits and pieces of the source code, modifying them and then checking them back in. In theory it works perfectly and allows everyone to do their own thing without stepping on one another's toes.

In reality it usually leads to people checking out code and then sitting on it, building their own private branches and then merging about 50% of what they do with the main branch whenever they feel like it, applying last minute fixes directly to the final build without ever committing them to source control, overwriting or undoing changes made by other developers and generally making a mess of things.

So you may launch with a "gold" version of a program, built directly from the main branch, only to replace it with a "fixed" version which comes from one developer's branch, followed by another "fixed" version from a second developer's branch which never received the first set of fixes and reintroduces all of the original bugs, and so on and so on until nobody has any idea of what fixes were applied and where they are now. The only solution to this sort of problem seems to be using Klingon pain sticks on anyone who doesn't check their code in correctly. For first offences the QA testers who discovered the regression problem can perform the ceremony while for repeat offenders you need to call in the end users who were affected by it.

News Comments > Tomb Raider "Exceeded Profit Expectations"
11. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 10:33 Minuit

Oh, I can see this happening...

"How many sales did Tomb Raider have?"

"Um... Do we owe anybody royalties? Percentage of net? Any of that stuff?"

"We might. I have to ch--"

"Then it SUCKED! NOBODY BOUGHT IT! It was a DISASTER!"

"I just checked. Looks like we owe the same amount no matter what the sales were, and the investors are a little worried about --"

"SIX MILLION!"

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 21, 2014, 12:53 Minuit

"The G2 mini features a 4.7-inch qHD IPS panel"

What does the word "mini" mean in Korean, anyway?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. I was excited about DK for a moment... Jan 30, 2014, 15:05 Minuit

But then I saw this:

This app has access to these permissions:

Network communication
receive data from Internet
full network access
view network connections
view Wi-Fi connections

Phone calls
read phone status and identity

Storage
modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Your accounts
find accounts on the device

System tools
modify system settings
test access to protected storage

Affects battery
prevent device from sleeping

Some of those are forgivable, since Android permissions are a bit coarse, but there's no way that even an EA game needs all that access.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
13. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 11:38 Minuit

Pigeon wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 11:16:
Now Origin needs to die as well and all will be right in the world.

Origin died almost nine years ago. It's the shambling, rotting corpse of Origin that needs to be put down.

News Comments > GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee
21. dcross@neverwhen.org Dec 9, 2013, 16:11 Minuit

WaltC wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 14:18:
About Valve's shared library thingy--they've already said how that will go. You can share the game with your friend (*one* friend at a time) for *one hour,* after which your friend receives a notice inviting him to also purchase his own copy of the game from Steam. If your friend declines he is cut from the game immediately.

They have also said the opposite. Can you provide some details on this, or is it possible you're confusing Valve with Microsoft or Sony?

News Comments > On Sale
22. dcross@neverwhen.org Nov 29, 2013, 16:51 Minuit

jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 14:02:
They have Master of Magic on sale. Great fantasy Civ type game back in the day. Graphics haven't aged well, but the game play is still there. Would be a great game for plane trips, and runs on even the lowliest netbook.
Netbook? MoM runs quite well on most phones.

News Comments > Steam Reviews Open Beta
16. dcross@neverwhen.org Nov 25, 2013, 14:48 Minuit

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:15:
InBlack wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:03:
How would they be held accountable? Pray tell, please.
....er...because they will have an account they're invested in linked to the reviews?

I think there's more to it than that.

Current cost of a Steam account: $0.

Number of accounts which could launch a free game, launch a game on a free weekend, or use family sharing to launch a title only once, giving them the right to review it: Unlimited.

Total investment required to create an arbitrarily large number of accounts which have no visible link back to your own for the purpose of flooding the review system: Only time, something which The Internet seems to have too much on its hands already.

Even if you tried to use "number of games owned" as a kind of filter to cut out astroturf accounts, you can buy about a half dozen Humble Bundle Steam keys for only $1, meaning that a throw-away account with a noticeable number of owned titles would cost less than a double-double. I'm sure that Valve has thought of this, but they are going to have an interesting time ahead of them if they really want to keep their reviewers from trying to game the system.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players "Aren't Gamers"
30. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 15:18 Minuit

The full quote was a bit more interesting, but it was cut from the interview. I expect it went a bit like this, and involved Mark Rubin inexplicably doing a spot-on impression of Hugo Weaving:

"I'd like to share a revelation that I’ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify our customers, and I realised that CoD players are not actually gamers. Every gamer on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their game library; but CoD players do not. Instead they play the same game over, and over again, until there is nothing left to play. The only way for them to survive is to spread to a sequel with the same engine and 90% recycled content. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern... a virus. CoD players are a disease, a cancer on this planet, they are a plague, and we... are the cure."

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $24M; New Video
31. Re: Star Citizen Hits $24M; New Video Oct 23, 2013, 13:41 Minuit

If the current trend continues then the next stretch goal will probably be "Pay off national debt, move production offices to White House."  

News Comments > SteamOS Announced
38. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:58 Minuit

BicycleRepairMan wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:43:
we need to dl steamOS and install it as a sort of dual-boot thing with windows, and then what, stream it to some living-room device like an appletv or buy a steambox or something like that?

Nothing like that. SteamOS _is_ the living-room device. You are already running Steam on your gaming PC and that is going to stream the video and audio to the SteamOS box.

I'll believe that Valve can do this with acceptable quality when I see it, but that's the idea.

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending
44. Re: Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending Sep 11, 2013, 17:06 Minuit

This would be useful if I could specify which games to share and not share. I'm quite happy letting the "family" PC have access to Crayon Physics or even Civilization, but I'd rather not shove Left 4 Dead into the kids' faces.

Oh well, it's still in Beta. Baby steps.

55 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo