Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MisterBenn

Real Name MisterBenn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 2, 2011, 16:34
Total Comments 286 (Amateur)
User ID 56105

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Scientists 3D-print embryonic stem cells, pave the way for lab-made organ transplants. Feb 6, 2013, 18:19 MisterBenn

Awesome progress on stem cell transplants. I am keeping a big eye open for these articles, I have a kidney from my dad which is perhaps going to last 5 years, maybe 10, maybe as much as 15 more years. I need technology to sort out stem cells ready for when I am need of another one. I'd really love to leave the immunosuppressant tablets behind... come on boffins, full steam ahead!

(Apologies if that interrupted the salivating over food )

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III PTR Updated
11. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 13:50 MisterBenn

Hark659 wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 11:51:
Too busy playing Path of Exile.

Yeah I jumped on the open beta and have played it full time the past few days. There's definitely something about it that's compelling.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Antichamber
7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Antichamber Feb 1, 2013, 01:19 MisterBenn

Yeah I watched TB's preview of this with one of the developers, it looks like a great puzzle game. It's got that zen aesthetic and the abstract/conceptual puzzles play great in first person. There is a "relearning" theme to the game where the puzzles have been designed to tease a certain approach out of you based upon how game mechanics usually work in modern games - approaching like this normally leads to failure and you begrudgingly embrace the alternative logic of this game from the ground up.

TB played a few levels and the level of design and execution looked consistently high - you worry with games based around a niche concept like this that it tails off after a few levels but there's reason to think that won't be the case here. I am straight on this one!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2013, 21:36 MisterBenn

In Euro Truck I understand a wheel is best of course, when I tried it I used a PS2 pad with analogue sticks, you have to map sensible buttons for yourself but it's pretty easy to get manual gears, horn and lights, analogue steering and so on. I've read that keyboard only is quite fiddly, I guess that would be down to the steering.

The main strength seems to be the graphics, they are bold and clear and the colour scheme is well chosen for terrain and roads so it helps with a feeling of realism. What isn't so good is the simplicity of the map. Obviously you need to simplify for gameplay's sake, but it's like 6 turns in total on the drive from Dover to Cambridge! The M25 doesn't look different to normal roads, the Dartford tunnel was not present and so on. If you live somewhere on the map and are looking for some recognisable features then you will probably be disappointed.

The driving is fun though, the lorries feel heavy and unwieldy as they should do, it's amusing to overshoot a turn and then get into reversing with traffic around. It's also quite cute when AI cars flash you and wait or cut you up like in real life! There's a progression system where you unlock licenses for different types of jobs and more dangerous goods to transport and I think you can own multiple trucks and depots I believe although I didn't play that far. It seems quite fun but I wonder what the longevity is like, perhaps the business building brings another dimension to make you keep playing.

News Comments > Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP
13. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 13:25 MisterBenn

Oh my god, that rebuttal was just too perfect! AdamK47 I hope you haven't been on standby for the opportunity to issue that for the last 13 years.  

News Comments > Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III
26. Re: Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III Jan 19, 2013, 22:18 MisterBenn

I was thinking something very similar. A lot of these design compromises were known up front (online only, real money auction house loot system etc) but millions bought it anyway. You'd also have to conclude that consumers don't listen either.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 18, 2013, 00:11 MisterBenn

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 14:38:
Well, no one uses the Windows key in the previous os versions is because it wasn't that useful.

The Windows key is useful in 7. On top of older shortcuts you've got Win+Cursors for minimise, maximise, put to left/right of screen and so on. The best is "Windows Key + start typing the name of something" - the short list of matching installed programs, recent documents and settings applets is about as quick as you can get.

News Comments > Trials Evolution: Gold Edition in March
9. Re: Trials Evolution: Gold Edition in March Jan 17, 2013, 21:10 MisterBenn

Awesome news. Trials 2 on PC was good but quite punishing. The Evolution videos look more fun due to more bikes, bikes with more agility, shit loads of user content and multiplayer. I will be all over this when it comes out.

Edit: with 4 controllers and the easier courses it makes a great party game...

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2013, 23:55.

News Comments > Steam Sale Encore This Weekend
26. Re: Steam Sale Encore This Weekend Jan 4, 2013, 23:38 MisterBenn

I got Dark Souls yesterday and am loving it! For a change from Skyrim I am liking the "preset levels with choice of character" approach. Also both the character sheet and the combat are much better than Skyrim! The combat has a great deliberate feel to it and seems beautifully skill based. I heard all about the difficulty beforehand and I suppose it's true but it's fair - surviving from one campfire to the next with your chosen classes skills and abilities almost feels like a puzzle sometimes. There are a few load screens and small areas which reveal the console origin but amazingly the consolitis is really kept to a sensible level! Probably just the HUD could be improved a little.  

News Comments > New Sven Co-op
1. Re: New Sven Co-op Jan 3, 2013, 14:35 MisterBenn

... bringing support into a third K'atun!

So this mod has run for longer than Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines Unofficial Patch. Has any other mod been maintained for longer?

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM
28. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 1, 2013, 22:58 MisterBenn

I've had so much fun with this game. It was unapologetically focussed on the action and gameplay, the story and FMV were light and the game was priced to match. They really nailed the gameplay and put the game out untainted by modern money grabbing bullshit - they deserve all the success they get.

While you're at it Runic, feel free to release a couple more classes as DLC and take more of my money!

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2012, 02:41 MisterBenn

Dev wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 23:16:
The only case in which it would actually matter is if you were buying during the last 15 mins of the sale.

I think I was near the deadline as the timer was at 6 minutes the first time I saw it, but it's not impossible I screwed up since it's the first time I bought from Green Man Games. Once it kicked me out, I tried to reinput the voucher code (the one from TB's video) and it told me the code was no longer valid. Since the difference was less than £1 I didn't check any harder than that.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2012, 21:15 MisterBenn

Yep - Civ 5 Gods and Kings for UK£2.99 from GMG can't be bad! It should have been £2.10 with the voucher but their payment page went wrong on me (said my payment had been refused before I'd even entered any payment details then emptied my basket) and then I missed the voucher deadline! I think I'll survive, it was dead cheap anyway. I tried G&K before and it is a big improvement, it makes Civ 5 a lot more bearable after the disappointment of some of the changes they made over 4.  

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2012, 22:21 MisterBenn

I can't see how this would work while PCs have socketed components. We have a rating system now, the Windows Experience Index (I hate Microsoft terms!) which attempts to set a standard performance figure for the relevant parts of a system. Unfortunately no vendors of hardware are interested in a standard, honest rating system since profit can be derived from understanding the value of a product more than the consumer.

Do you guys think a non-socketed PC product with integrated CPU/MB/RAM/GPU will ever come about? Generally speaking I buy all those in sync with each other, I don't think I would feel I was giving up anything if I bought a single hardware piece to do all that if the rest of my PC was like it is now. Then you might have a chance of standardising the measurement of PC performance. Maybe after a few years of acquisitions a company will be in a position to give it a crack!

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
2. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 15, 2012, 16:02 MisterBenn

Blue wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 13:14:
Console not appealing enough to steal.
That reminds me of my old Computer Science mate getting burgled at university in the 90s. They went from room to room in the house robbing everyone's electronics and he found that they had opened his PC, removed his RAM - and after examining the spec they just left it on the table! I also had the same feeling when my car was robbed in London, they went through the glove compartment and took a CD walkman then went through the boot and sifted through a bunch of my clothes and CDs, and rejected the lot! It's quite an insult when all your stuff it too shit for the kind of scumbag that steals from your car...

News Comments > Valve Living Room PCs Next Year?
39. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 19:07 MisterBenn

It sounds like a way to make couch gaming-compatible PC games available to the non enthusiast market. If a game can be played fully with controllers and has text size and gameplay that works from across a room then you can install it preconfigured and ready to play as all the target hardware is known.

Valve can presumably offer current and future games from their catalogue this way and target all the people who might play PC games but who don't want the hassle of maintaining a gaming PC. They are just opening up a new market, some games like MMOs, competitive FPSs, RTS and so on will still be only playable on a regular PC and the demand for them isn't going anywhere any time soon.

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 19:21 MisterBenn

Can't really comment on the quality of Guild Wars 2 since I am not really an MMO player. It's Torchlight 2 for me by quite a long way. It exceeded my expectations by a long way, they really nailed the action and made the grinding, builds, loot grabbing all fantastic fun to do. They were also really sensible with their design decisions, adding flexibility and convenience without fucking up the overall experience. It was exactly what I wanted, the Diablo 2 feel with updated aesthetics and modernised design without any "twists" to screw it up.

XCom is on my list to pick up but I haven't yet so I can't comment there. Terror from the Deep was the one I played the most in the past and that was great so I might end up loving it. The streamlining of equipment is offputting but there's no denying that the YouTube videos of missions and multiplayer make the combat look like a whole load of fun.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Nov 24, 2012, 21:16 MisterBenn

Of all the things that detract from gaming, like on disk DLC, consolitis, pay to win, deceitful marketing etc. - I would say that "lack of social equality in those who get to name objects in a kickstarted game" ranks pretty low down the list.

The funding upfront / honour system of kickstarters is unique but putting that aside, people are free to offer and price whatever products they desire, and consumers are free to part with their money or reject them. I'm frequently amazed that people pay up for some of the most expensive kickstarter products around, but there's nothing coercive about it at all.

If Cliffski's concerned with equality, shouldn't he be delighted that the barrier to entry to make money from the industry has been lowered? A couple of years ago it was just about essential to be part of a major studio or indie studio to make money as a computer game programmer. Now you can be a student coder in his bedroom, an ageing 80's game developer, or anything in between and you have a shot at landing profitable work if you have enough of a good product to show. A game studio might not touch you if you are of working class background but you could show off a prototype and get funded if it's good enough. Cliffski should be celebrating!

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Nov 13, 2012, 00:13 MisterBenn

Yeah I enjoyed it too. Good action and comedic moments and they really nailed the style. The opening credits and song were a perfect fit and the jokes were traditional while avoiding the worst of the cheese you sometimes get! Perhaps the action at Skyfall itself was too generic and blockbustery, but I loved the claustrophobic chase in London, it had a bit of a Bourne-style tension to it.  

News Comments > Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully
14. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 00:53 MisterBenn

For what it's worth I have a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard and love it. The Razer Deathadder mouse is good enough without being spectacular. I don't do any serious, high speed mouse gaming - I just want an accurate, reliable mouse and it fits that function happily.

Needless to say, any kind of behaviour tracking or network requirements on future peripherals would be completely unacceptable and would rule out such products from being bought.

286 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo