Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MisterBenn

Real Name MisterBenn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 2, 2011, 16:34
Total Comments 277 (Amateur)
User ID 56105

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar
32. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 19:20 MisterBenn

We've talked at length here on Bluesnews about how low the standards of reviews are these days, and how pre-release reviews are the worst of the lot. I know Bioshock has a passionate following and we'd all love for it to be great but let's wait for some gameplay experience and real word of mouth before accepting these incredible early scores!  

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Announced
6. Re: Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Announced Mar 21, 2013, 23:19 MisterBenn

Last night I rebuilt my 2013 installation, there are many mods around for it now. If you are familiar with installing a bunch of mods in sequence then it's doable to get 20 or 30 more decks into the game, including the latest cards available and the AI understands them as well as the original decks. I'll buy 2014 because it'll presumably be cheap again and the features gradually improve but you just know some of the decks will heavily resemble things people have already made.

P.S. And what does that mean huh? "China is here?" I don't even know what the hell that means!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Trials Evolution: Gold Edition
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Trials Evolution: Gold Edition Mar 21, 2013, 15:51 MisterBenn

Loving this game, glad this one finally came to PC. Nin you mentioned needing to be a masochist to play the game, I have to confess those words have been ringing in my ears as I grind out the retries on the hard bits! I have to say that I love it though, only having played the single player so far.

Optional you are right, the bikes are very forgiving in this game. The previous Trials game had just a single bike that was heavier and less forgiving if you haven't played it but I understand where you are coming from. At least one of the bikes should have something approaching realistic properties since there are several, some people would lap up the challenge of it. The power of leaning is the cheatiest part, you can correct as many times as you like in the air and even do a backflip followed by a front flip given enough air time!

Just a word on the digital packaging - I bought the Steam version which also requires Uplay. The Steam launcher is literally just a shortcut to Uplay. This means both Steam and then Uplay will chain launch if you don't already have those running, and also it's necessary to manually launch Trails from inside Uplay each time as you can't bypass the gui like you can with Steam shortcuts (unless I am being stupid, this is my only Uplay game).

The online integration has been a little flaky the past couple of weeks too - it uploads your time to your online profile each time you complete a race or challange and this sometimes takes up to 30-60 seconds between retries and really screws the flow of the game! A couple of times it has waited indefinitely and I have to cancel out. I've also had the live connection to Uplay drop while playing a couple of times and a giant reminder covers the screen saying that some online features will not be available - this ruins your current run and has already happened to me during a perfect run and pissed me off. There's also no way to manually reconnect when it happens and you have to quit and relaunch the game or just play in offline mode.

I love the game so much that I can overlook this but it's a clear negative and if you are wavering on this purchase then give this real consideration. The Uplay integration is actively annoying to me in its current state and cannot be totally ignored.

News Comments > POE Boasts 2M Players; Patch Details; Supporter Packs Update
21. Re: POE Boasts 2M Players; Patch Details; Supporter Packs Update Mar 15, 2013, 16:17 MisterBenn

That sounds an awful lot like a gaming pension scheme, Creston!  

15. Re: POE Boasts 2M Players; Patch Details; Supporter Packs Update Mar 15, 2013, 13:51 MisterBenn

Yeah I bought the $20 premium tab bundle too, I needed to support them for all the time I've spent in game. I might buy more but the cosmetic effects are pretty underwhelming. Their ethical microtransaction system really is painless from a player's point of view though, I hope we see some figures showing GGG's making good money from this game. It would be a shame if they did everything right and almost no one gave them money and the conclusion was that companies do need to fuck over the consumer to make any profit.  

9. Re: POE Boasts 2M Players; Patch Details; Supporter Packs Update Mar 15, 2013, 12:02 MisterBenn

I'm loving this game and have played a shit ton but the online aspect is a bit of a disadvantage. For starters they implemented some security in a patch a couple of weeks ago. When you connect from a location that has changed since last time you have to request an unlock email to get into the game. Sensible enough, it seems but my ISP uses dynamic IPs for which the detected location (I learn) fluctuates between about 6 locations, all towns near my physical location, several times a day. This triggers an account lock every time so I have to do the unlock email every day that I play. If I sit down for a session it can happen five times in a day and it even kicks you out of the game if the location change happens during gameplay. PoE doesn't remember previously approved locations so the situation is ongoing. I understand they are working to improve the system but for the moment it's a bit of a drag.

The second issue is the effect of server-side hit detection on combat. It makes melee attacks feel quite loose in general, plenty of air swings that actually hit all the time. Fast attacks like the rhoa charges are ridiculous in that you can frequently dodge them and get hit when you are way away in safety on your screen. Playing a ranged character avoids most of these problems so mostly what I've played so far.

Finally the desyncs are still I problem, I understand they've been present since closed beta and I got royally fucked by one a couple of nights ago. I lost my first character that got to the final fight with Piety on hardcore. Was gradually wearing her down - a single desync of a few seconds and the next thing I know Piety's fire form is standing next to a resurrect button! My spork witch was awesome, I had great kit for L40 with 4-link and 3-link skills painstakingly set up and it was all lost along with like 10 days' work.

So that was a total fucker but I am really loving the game. I can definitely understand that melee characters are all about survivability nodes but for ranged it doesn't strike me as badly unbalanced. I think the passive tree makes you keep making interesting decisions as far as I've seen into the mid levels and the skill customisations are a lot of fun too.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
41. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 01:06 MisterBenn

These early problems with always online AAA games are not going to go away. It's always cheaper to plan server capacity based upon expected levels at the 1 week or month mark rather than spend extra for the initial surge and then decommission or reallocate servers afterwards. You just need to explain away the problems until the surge dies down and then congratulate yourselves on the budget savings.  

News Comments > Beta Access With Trials Evolution: Gold Edition Preorders
3. Re: Beta Access With Trials Evolution: Gold Edition Preorders Mar 1, 2013, 20:30 MisterBenn

That probably does help with the worst levels but is it really much more arduous than perfecting your technique at your favourite sport / driving / FPS / MOBA game?

Edit: the beta is downloading so I will report back after some exposure as to my state of mind!

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2013, 20:53.

News Comments > Beta Access With Trials Evolution: Gold Edition Preorders
1. Re: Beta Access With Trials Evolution: Gold Edition Preorders Mar 1, 2013, 18:03 MisterBenn

I generally avoid pre-ordering but I am jumping straight on this one. I know it's been mainly a success as a console game but it harks back to vintage computer games like Elastomania and even Kickstart 2 for the Spectrum. Skill based games like this with physics and user content are fantastic value, and this will be a great party game with multitap and Dual Shocks. Can't wait!  

News Comments > Path of Exile Race Events
9. Re: Path of Exile Race Events Feb 21, 2013, 20:23 MisterBenn

Yeah, I've gotta say I love it too. I've played it daily since the beta opened up. I've got a few characters on the go 'cause they're all interesting, my fire witch is l35 I think at the moment and a couple others are in the 20s. I'm tempted to buy some tabs since they do deserve some income from this. With just ethical transactions it will be interesting what sort of cash they make from this.

I just wish there was instanced loot in public parties, the timer is a minor help but in general people at the front of the action get more than their fair share and you have to focus on following drops while fighting and perhaps stop supporting the group to collect otherwise you will lose out. A lot of people vigorously defend it and I can kind of understand but I think being forced to scrap for loot dominates the gameplay too much and is a bit offputting.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Scientists 3D-print embryonic stem cells, pave the way for lab-made organ transplants. Feb 6, 2013, 19:35 MisterBenn

PHJF wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 18:32:
You can make it last longer by drinking as much alcohol as you possibly can to "toughen it up".

It did seem to show all the signs of Whiskey withdrawal when it was first plopped in there: I had to teach it that it will get Gin and Vodka from now on...

Edit: these Honest Trailers seem to have gone past their peak. It's a new voice isn't it? Doesn't seem to have the same attitude as before and the jokes are getting quite similar. I really enjoyed Skyfall although it really uses the Bond artistic license to the limit and the final set piece was crap as mentioned. (spoiler:) Fuel canisters explode and fly up and take down the bad guy in his helicopter, leaving him alive for a confrontation? That's as derivative and lazy as it comes.

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2013, 19:46.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Scientists 3D-print embryonic stem cells, pave the way for lab-made organ transplants. Feb 6, 2013, 18:19 MisterBenn

Awesome progress on stem cell transplants. I am keeping a big eye open for these articles, I have a kidney from my dad which is perhaps going to last 5 years, maybe 10, maybe as much as 15 more years. I need technology to sort out stem cells ready for when I am need of another one. I'd really love to leave the immunosuppressant tablets behind... come on boffins, full steam ahead!

(Apologies if that interrupted the salivating over food )

News Comments > Diablo III PTR Updated
11. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 13:50 MisterBenn

Hark659 wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 11:51:
Too busy playing Path of Exile.

Yeah I jumped on the open beta and have played it full time the past few days. There's definitely something about it that's compelling.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Antichamber
7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Antichamber Feb 1, 2013, 01:19 MisterBenn

Yeah I watched TB's preview of this with one of the developers, it looks like a great puzzle game. It's got that zen aesthetic and the abstract/conceptual puzzles play great in first person. There is a "relearning" theme to the game where the puzzles have been designed to tease a certain approach out of you based upon how game mechanics usually work in modern games - approaching like this normally leads to failure and you begrudgingly embrace the alternative logic of this game from the ground up.

TB played a few levels and the level of design and execution looked consistently high - you worry with games based around a niche concept like this that it tails off after a few levels but there's reason to think that won't be the case here. I am straight on this one!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2013, 21:36 MisterBenn

In Euro Truck I understand a wheel is best of course, when I tried it I used a PS2 pad with analogue sticks, you have to map sensible buttons for yourself but it's pretty easy to get manual gears, horn and lights, analogue steering and so on. I've read that keyboard only is quite fiddly, I guess that would be down to the steering.

The main strength seems to be the graphics, they are bold and clear and the colour scheme is well chosen for terrain and roads so it helps with a feeling of realism. What isn't so good is the simplicity of the map. Obviously you need to simplify for gameplay's sake, but it's like 6 turns in total on the drive from Dover to Cambridge! The M25 doesn't look different to normal roads, the Dartford tunnel was not present and so on. If you live somewhere on the map and are looking for some recognisable features then you will probably be disappointed.

The driving is fun though, the lorries feel heavy and unwieldy as they should do, it's amusing to overshoot a turn and then get into reversing with traffic around. It's also quite cute when AI cars flash you and wait or cut you up like in real life! There's a progression system where you unlock licenses for different types of jobs and more dangerous goods to transport and I think you can own multiple trucks and depots I believe although I didn't play that far. It seems quite fun but I wonder what the longevity is like, perhaps the business building brings another dimension to make you keep playing.

News Comments > Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP
13. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 13:25 MisterBenn

Oh my god, that rebuttal was just too perfect! AdamK47 I hope you haven't been on standby for the opportunity to issue that for the last 13 years.  

News Comments > Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III
26. Re: Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III Jan 19, 2013, 22:18 MisterBenn

I was thinking something very similar. A lot of these design compromises were known up front (online only, real money auction house loot system etc) but millions bought it anyway. You'd also have to conclude that consumers don't listen either.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 18, 2013, 00:11 MisterBenn

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 14:38:
Well, no one uses the Windows key in the previous os versions is because it wasn't that useful.

The Windows key is useful in 7. On top of older shortcuts you've got Win+Cursors for minimise, maximise, put to left/right of screen and so on. The best is "Windows Key + start typing the name of something" - the short list of matching installed programs, recent documents and settings applets is about as quick as you can get.

News Comments > Trials Evolution: Gold Edition in March
9. Re: Trials Evolution: Gold Edition in March Jan 17, 2013, 21:10 MisterBenn

Awesome news. Trials 2 on PC was good but quite punishing. The Evolution videos look more fun due to more bikes, bikes with more agility, shit loads of user content and multiplayer. I will be all over this when it comes out.

Edit: with 4 controllers and the easier courses it makes a great party game...

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2013, 23:55.

News Comments > Steam Sale Encore This Weekend
26. Re: Steam Sale Encore This Weekend Jan 4, 2013, 23:38 MisterBenn

I got Dark Souls yesterday and am loving it! For a change from Skyrim I am liking the "preset levels with choice of character" approach. Also both the character sheet and the combat are much better than Skyrim! The combat has a great deliberate feel to it and seems beautifully skill based. I heard all about the difficulty beforehand and I suppose it's true but it's fair - surviving from one campfire to the next with your chosen classes skills and abilities almost feels like a puzzle sometimes. There are a few load screens and small areas which reveal the console origin but amazingly the consolitis is really kept to a sensible level! Probably just the HUD could be improved a little.  

277 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo