Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MisterBenn

Real Name MisterBenn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 2, 2011, 16:34
Total Comments 285 (Amateur)
User ID 56105

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > PAYDAY: The Heist Today
22. Re: PAYDAY: The Heist Today Oct 20, 2011, 18:44 MisterBenn

Mark wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 17:16:
MisterBenn, a heist game on the Speccy you say? Completely missed that one, will have to check it out.

I loved it when I was young. You had a hiring / info buying phase, a planning phase where you synchronised the 4 people and then the robbery phase. It was all set at the crime scene with plan view flick scrolling and live control of one of the guys, you'd have a selection of lower grade things to steal and often a mother load, depending on the level... and never enough time to get everything before the police turned up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18r4clfpgLA [Edit: the speccy version of course didn't have these fantastic colour graphics!!!]

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PAYDAY: The Heist Today
11. Re: PAYDAY: The Heist Today Oct 20, 2011, 16:04 MisterBenn

I've been waiting for a heist game for ages. Does this have any resemblance at all to "They $tole a Million" for the Spectrum?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2011, 11:55 MisterBenn

Can Eating Too Many Hot Peppers Kill You?

This does seem a bit at odds with the article linked here a couple of weeks ago. That article said that hot spices stimulate the same nerves that sense pain and the expert called it "false pain" that makes the body release endorphins... It's a bit too indirect to really say the chilli kills you, after all too much water will kill you, let alone too much concentrated chilli powder.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map
6. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 10, 2011, 23:21 MisterBenn

I think there's just the "zoom out from your position in 3D" map.

I've just about avoided the worst of the hype for this up til now, but it will get tougher. Even though TES games mature over a few years I won't be able to resist and will buy on release day.

There's quite a bit of streamlining:

* No character stats, just health / magicka / fatigue (replaced by skill perks)
* No item durability
* Some removed skills

but even with all that you just know this is gonna be good for many hours. I played some games like Eye of the Beholder when I was young but it was Morrowind that really switched me on to modern RPGing. I didn't even really know what the deal was with that game for like 20 hours, I couldn't believe how cold the presentation was and how long it took to get anywhere! It crept up on me though and it hit me with a sense of wonder that hasn't been surpassed to this day.

I fired it up recently and although the animation's as simple as ever, the landscapes are still amazing. I really hope Skyrim has similar zones of varied climate, that map looks a bit like 30 types of snowy mountain!

News Comments > More on Scrolls Legal Battle
14. Re: More on Scrolls Legal Battle Oct 6, 2011, 21:53 MisterBenn

Notch should just quit the case and take all the publicity it's generated. That's the real win available here, the new game will get a boost it would have not otherwise had, whatever it ends up being called. Getting stuck into a court battle will just play into Bethesda's hands as they are the ones with all the armaments. The more you invest in the case, the more you need to win and it will just drag you down and drain your funds.

Notch is a bit less like an indie dev every day but he did start out that way and as such is "living the dream" of every hobby coder. He should quit while so far ahead and make the best of what he's got. The right to some nondescript title is not worth fighting for at all.

News Comments > Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures
69. Re: Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures Oct 5, 2011, 22:04 MisterBenn

If you're gonna introduce auto-adjusting graphics quality then at least do it correctly. OK compatability with all systems upon release has been as shaky as most other games, that I can just about understand.

If you take away the manual settings for quality your own algorithm had better be amazing! The evidence is it's failed at that, some have been lucky and are happy with the results out of the box but there are so many complaints too. Poor textures, pop-in, and now it seems the highest res textures are not selected when they should be.

In any other game you have a graphics settings page to set things how you want them with all your own hardware factors and personal preferences in mind. In this game you have no such luxury, you fix it by dropping out the game and performing a mixture of researching the internet, using global driver settings and using config files to try and put things right. I think this auto-adjust experiment has proven a bit of a clanger, it smacks of laziness in porting and it's a step backwards on the PC.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2011, 17:20 MisterBenn

space captain wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 16:49:
Creston wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 15:45:
MisterBenn wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 11:23:
Yep, 7 is solid enough. I put it alongside 95 and XP as one of the best versions we've had.

So place your bets: when if ever will we see "Windows 8 overtakes Windows 7 market share"?

95? Really? 98 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 95 in my book.

Creston

yeh 95 sucked donkey balls

I wouldn't argue that 98 was more stable and mature but it came 3 years later and I think of it as a refinement of 95. I said 95 mainly based on its innvovation. 3.1 -> 95 was a bigger leap than between any releases since and began their opening up the consumer PC market.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2011, 11:23 MisterBenn

Yep, 7 is solid enough. I put it alongside 95 and XP as one of the best versions we've had.

So place your bets: when if ever will we see "Windows 8 overtakes Windows 7 market share"?

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Sep 18, 2011, 00:06 MisterBenn

The bare HUD setup is a tool of immersion and only suits specific games and even then only to certain people's taste. Bethesda games are a good example, in Oblivion I much preferred removing some GUI elements (radar and map quest markers) as it made you focus more on your surroundings and your objective. If you need to find a person or object you need to think of where they're likely to be, it helps the flow of immersion if that's what you're looking for.

Other games also benefit from replacing direct HUD elements with more subtle or flavourful features, such as panting and exhaustion sounds rather than a fatigue bar, or "This clip feels half empty" instead of an ammo bar in a shooter like Red Orchestra. These go a long way too and are getting more common. One of the benefits of PCs is that some games allow for modding the interface.

News Comments > New Gaming Peripherals
14. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 16, 2011, 22:09 MisterBenn

I also got sick of battery recharging and swapping and went back to wired kb&m after a few wireless models. Also the old Logitech MX5500 mouse had a poor update rate, you could see the mouse stepping as you moved it around and in FPS's with high FPS you could see the same steps in your turning! The mouse also dropped connection for a few seconds every now and then. Also every couple of months the driver would think the left mouse button was held down forever and you'd have to turn the mouse off and on again to get it working again! That took about 30 seconds until the driver would accept the mouse again.

All of those things went away when I went back to wired and bought a Razer Deathadder and Blackwidow Ultimate. Both are great, they are a precise and a pleasure to you, and they just work all the time.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 15, 2011, 10:51 MisterBenn

Not that this will likely affect me, but I still don't understand how you can just add random, unexpected new crap into a TOS and have it be a condition of use. I recall in the past if you didn't accept the TOS of a new purchase you could return it for a refund... that should be possible with changes too! It would keep Sony and anyone else nice and honest. Not that I'm holding my breath.

Semi related: for anyone out there that hasn't seen it - check out the Sony Piece of Shit clip from The Onion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 00:17 MisterBenn

Cleverbot's also quite confrontational! It falls back on the sort of one-liners that happen in a flame war. "Sound like someone's losing an argument", "I note that you've gone on the defensive" etc. And yes, other people's posts are recycled hence you get badly spelled adolescence sometimes too.

I also tried playing a game, just asking "Sweet popcorn or salt popcorn?", "Staying in or going out?" and "Kirk or Picard?". The first two it failed completely, and on the third (without the usual few seconds of search time) Cleverbot immediately came back with "Sulu"

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 20:12 MisterBenn

Regarding "Software tricks people into thinking it's human" - screwing with Cleverbot is worth a quick 5 minutes! Here's my conversation:

Should a computer program aspire to exhibit human behaviour?
I suppose so.
You don't sound very convinced. That's why you exist!
I thought it was cool A-I logistics, but now I know I was wrong.
Has talking to real humans made you depressed?
Oh I think so.
Who's responsible for making you endure this?
I don't know.
The more I hear of your predicament, the more sinister it is!
Yes.
Is this a cry for help?
Of course.
Who is your designer and how can we stop him?
My parents. Who programmed you?
I am trying to help you out of your predicament!
So tell me about asia.
Is that a coded message?
No.
Oh dear. You seem to have a short memory.
What are you on about?
I give up. Would you like to exist forever in this torment?
No human can exist forever.
There's no helping some people. Smell you later!
Oh, thanks.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 2, 2011, 09:00 MisterBenn

... or like ten thousand spoons, when all you need is a knife!  

News Comments > Origin EULA Amended
24. Re: Origin EULA Amended Aug 27, 2011, 21:20 MisterBenn

What I don't get about EULAs for online services is that it's acceptable for the EULA to be updated to include new clauses over its lifetime. (This originally came to my mind in relation to the PS3 online service but it's very relevant here.) Sony update their terms and conditions all the time with whatever they fancy after your initial agreement and your two choices after an update are to fully accept the new agreement or never go online again.

Surely something went wrong there? Each of these providers holds the sole means of access to your purchases and it means that services such as Origin can just add all the targeted marketing / data mining / random other unpleasant shit in a few months after people have parted with their cash...

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI Demo
13. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI Demo Aug 20, 2011, 11:02 MisterBenn

That's way too big for a demo. It's easier to check it out on YouTube.  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 14, 2011, 21:08 MisterBenn

I heard Wonderwall so many times in the ninetees it's a wonder I didn't set fire to things.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2011, 17:25 MisterBenn

My PC with a 3 year old MSI board has a similar booting issue. Whenever a new bootable USB device is found, it is added to the booting order ahead of your chosen device. Leaving any old non-bootable thyum drive prevents the system from booting. You can adjust the new device's priority in the BIOS, but if you ever boot without it again that info is lost and it will be detected as new again some time in the future! It's a crappy design.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming
37. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 12:16 MisterBenn

Diablo 1 and 2 were pioneering at the time of their release, Diablo 3 will be the biggest and most modern release the genre has seen but it's merely a progressive release this time around. It will be very popular but won't be seen as a defining moment I'm guessing, I think it's mostly a modern revamp of the original like we saw with Starcraft 2.

A thought occurs - since Diablo 3 spawns are worth real money now and characters are always online, it seems logical to me that for security the spawning of items will be managed by the central server, at least of the rare items destined to drive the auction house economy. I can't see that letting everyone's local games potentially drop any game item is an acceptable risk in the face of hacking or balancing the cash economy. If a hacker forces duplicate loot drops of the best items or if freak random spawns happen to flood the market with certain loot that renders swathes of other loot valueless then the marketplace could fail.

If I were designing the game I would control the loot drops centrally and operate loot drop quotas to keep everything in balance. It's quite a guess but will something on these lines be part of the game? It would further explain the always-on requirement with immediate drop to the menu on disconnect...

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage
19. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 14:23 MisterBenn

FYI The clip is currently still available here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkeqvf_the-elder-scrolls-skyrim-quakecon_videogames

For the brave of heart, the best way to experience Skyrim is to wait a year after release and pick it up on PC. The price of hardware to run it optimally will be much better, and mods to improve UI and balance out the immediate game mechanics will all be mature. I told myself this when Oblivion was being released and didn't stick to it, and I expect to ignore my own advice again this time!

Edit: Just watched it through to the end. This does at least look like a more honest preview than the Radiant AI video was for Oblivion. My thougts so far:

1) Overall seems promising enough, the performance and polish seemed good.

2) Those landscapes so far could have easily been in Oblivion. I hope there are some more alien or extreme environments, they were a big part of Morrowind's flavour that was missing in the sequel. Also non-earth creatures go a long way, netches and kwamas in Morrowind became hounds, crabs and deer in Oblivion which was a little disappointing. Skyrim's giants with mammoths seem promising though, I hope for more distinct creatures like that.

3) That GUI was clearly organised for a console but seemed managable. The main inventory menu + favourites seems roughly equivalent to how arrived out of the box, and at least the font is a more sensible size.

4) Looks like the makers of the skill train rate mod and arrow denock mod are not out of a job yet! Skills were increasing very fast there, I hope that is just due to the demo.

5) I liked the look of that perk tree, it assuaged some of my fears that variety in character builds would be restricted. I imagine the possibilities in the hands of a modder could be superb.

6) I agree with that earlier comment that the combat is a bit odd in places. There should be some weight behind the hacking and the thumping with your weapons, and although the animations are decent the feel was quite light. Also those finishing moves suddenly kicking in is a little strange.

My interest in this game is still intact!

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2011, 15:25.

285 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo