Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MisterBenn

Real Name MisterBenn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 2, 2011, 16:34
Total Comments 286 (Amateur)
User ID 56105

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2011, 13:59 MisterBenn

Quboid wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 11:31:
Football is better than soccer and I defy anyone to dispute this with a straight face. Clearly, football is a much better name for that game which involves your foot and a ball.

(Really shouldn't reply to an opinion post like this but you caught me at a weak moment!) Not trying to belittle American Football since I respect that it's huge and beloved... but wouldn't it have spread over the planet if it were "clearly" better than soccer?

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 15, 2011, 11:30 MisterBenn

Longest headline of the day!  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2011, 10:14 MisterBenn

I'm in the UK and it behaves as you said Blue. The first link produces the site's 404 page and the second link leads to the patch notes with /en/ in the URL.  

News Comments > Distant Worlds - Legends Patch
1. Re: Distant Worlds - Legends Patch Dec 12, 2011, 13:01 MisterBenn

I can't get over how good this game is! I was put off 4X games that play in real time after Sins of a Solar Empire, where the pace was too fast and it played just like an RTS.

I finally bought in after seeing some vids of the Legends expansion... the scale and detail are superb, the game mechanics are extremely well-conceived and executed, and the micro and macro management options are well done and keep the game flowing. It's the best space strategy I've played in a long time.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2011, 14:23 MisterBenn

I also got the germs as of yesterday, I must have caught them while going for my winter flu jab!  

News Comments > Skyrim Creation Kit Next Month
10. Re: Skyrim Creation Kit Next Month Dec 1, 2011, 21:02 MisterBenn

Great news! I think there'll be a place for third party sites, there's no way the Steam Workshop will host something like a killable children mod.

Also if the workshop doesn't allow manual installation it might be annoying, by the time you have some customised and merged mods and levelelled lists you usually want full control of what you install and where.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Nov 30, 2011, 21:19 MisterBenn

Love it!  

News Comments > Skyrim Patch Wednesday
4. Re: Skyrim Patch Wednesday Nov 28, 2011, 21:26 MisterBenn

I used RadeonPro to set the frames rendered ahead to 0, which improved the mouse input lag a lot too. The mod version of this replaces the directx dll file and I couldn't use it at the same time as my post process injector...

Between the ini commands for h and v mouse sensitivity and the responsiveness fix above, it seems for me the frame rate / sensitivity coupling is the last issue around the mouse for me.

News Comments > Skyrim Patch Wednesday
2. Re: Skyrim Patch Wednesday Nov 28, 2011, 20:57 MisterBenn

Yeah it's a bit odd, and left and right don't seem to change?!?! I had what I expect is the NPC sleeping animation bug... during an Imperial quest I had to report to an NPC who happened to be in bed. I got there and he was laid there completely unanimated, screaming at me "Quick, you must act now!!!"

Very strange, but that's about the limits of my problems. We need the construction kit!

News Comments > AMD Catalyst 11.11b Performance Drivers
9. Re: AMD Catalyst 11.11b Performance Drivers Nov 26, 2011, 23:04 MisterBenn

I also had some trouble with cities (not catastrophic but lower frame rates) and the best thing I found to improve things is in SkyrimPrefs.ini:

fShadowDistance=3000.0000

Check your value isn't higher than this, mine was 8000 although that may have been from a shadow mod's ini file while I was experimenting. It's the distance at which shadows are drawn, setting at 3000 is almost never noticable in towns and saved me a great deal of FPS, even with the quality of shadows set highter than Ultra. In the open wilderness 3000 is a little noticable though, we'll need a util to set these kinds of values depending on interior, exterior and wilderness locations I think. Also I suspect the FPS loss in cities is caused by CPU limit not GPU limit in many cases, mine was.

Edit: oh and I didn't really notice a performance increase with these drivers but I have not had a single crash since. Before while using one of the FXAA injectors I was CTDing occasionally.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2011, 14:29 MisterBenn

Happy Thanksgiving. I confess I had to look up the date when Blue ran "Skyrim patch might come out the week after Thanksgiving" !!!  

News Comments > 1M CoD Elite Premium Subscribers
26. Re: 1M CoD Elite Premium Subscribers Nov 22, 2011, 22:52 MisterBenn

If you enjoy steak, does it matter that millions eat fast food every day?  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 22:05 MisterBenn

Mine reports 1920x1080, I've never seen 1080p reported. When I play Duels of the Planeswalkers, it swaps mode and reports 1080i!?! Apart from the res I have no further control in that game.

I definitely think TVs are viable and cost effective these days, the only downside mine has is it needs to be turned on seperately and it waits 15 minutes on no signal before going to sleep. A 1080 dektop has never troubled me and sitting where I do I have to turn my head slightly to check the corners of the screen, you couldn't really imagine a screen taking more of your view!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 19:31 MisterBenn

Creston - I did exactly the same and bought a 32" Samsung HD TV when my old 30" monitor died. It's a UE32C6000 LCD.

I am connected via direct HDMI from my 6950 and there is no problem with sharpness. I did have to go through the options and set a few things to be more computer-relevant rather than TV.

Most important - turn off image post processing. You might have a direct control for turning that off, I struggled with that for a while and on my TV I had to Google around and I discovered that it was engaged automatically once you renamed one of the HDMI ports as a PC input! Before I engaged that the main problem I had was input delay, it was more than half a second and it felt like someone else was operating my mouse... I was horrified. Modern TVs remember this for each input so it won't affect regular TV if you use that too.

Second is to adjust the contrast, it's insanely high by default to penetrate a room and the bright areas can bleed depending on the colours, that might explain the blurriness of text. For example on mine I have picture mode to "Movie" (this is apparently THX compliant and is adjusted for a low level of backlight for movie watching in a fairly dark room), I also have power save mode to Medium (which is lower contrast and backlight). Finally the TV has automatic brightness which also tends to reduce the picture brightness when I play at night. After all of those it's a very similar level of clarity and brightness as a monitor, I can't tell the difference. Right now I am less than 2 feet from the screen and it's totally comfortable and all my surfing / Pro Evoing / Skyrimming (not sure I like that word!) takes place on it. I really did struggle with the picture settings at first (and the default brightness modes are pure pain at such close range) but I got there.

I didn't have to set anything specific with regard to aspect ratio or scaling with mine, I guess experiment with those if you've tried everything else but I think merely connecting via HDMI sets the important stuff correctly.

I am incredibly happy with mine overall, I dropped 1K on the old monitor and this one was 500ish a year ago. They go a bit cheaper than that but this is super slimline and other features are really good. The only slightest drawback is that the response time isn't quite as good as monitors, if someone was intent on competition gaming in something requiring reflexes it might be a tiny disadvantage. It's not really noticable in most games (and it is of course what consoles have all the time) but it's occasionally noticable in Touhou and it's definitely noticable in Tetris the Grand Master which is very timing intensive.

Edit: Still hunting around - in CCC I see my monitor is detected as Samsung PnP (I recall I didn't do anything special here originally) and I have GPU scaling off and ITC processing on (both of which were so by default).

News Comments > Origin/EA Bans Follow-up
25. Re: Origin/EA Bans Follow-up Nov 18, 2011, 07:56 MisterBenn

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 00:29:
We'll not only ban you, but lock you out of everything you've ever bought.
Here's the nub: some publishers are moving away from the purchase model and are locking in the "gaming as a service" model instead as digital distribution becomes the norm. Even though the full price is still paid up front, they consider the ability to access the game to be a priviledge rather than a right - to be granted and restricted on their terms. Persistent online requirements (and "cloud" connections which often resemble the same thing) reinforce this. The only way this can be regulated in by market forces, i.e. being prepared to forego titles that support and develop this way of thinking.

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 7M
26. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 01:24 MisterBenn

Jerykk wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 01:14:
I think the issue is that they shouldn't have been mapped like that in the first place. It's completely illogical.

In fairness by default they are how the previous games have been, at least for a sword and shield character. It was the expansion to the two handed system and introducing the notions of left and right hand that made it weird for some.

19. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 00:54 MisterBenn

Flatline wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 00:18:
my weapons are mapped backwards
Use Left Hand and Use Right Hand are remappable ingame! They are reversed by default to be the same as previous games presumably.

13. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 00:00 MisterBenn

Elsweyr. Swamps and dusty plains and a detailed new unarmed fighting system!

I am still loving this, I am so happy that my fave series has a lease of new life. I was worried that all the landscapes would be the same but there is a lot more personality than I expected.

Here are my favourite 2 mods:

Skyrim Tweaks Complete - A tweaked set of configs. I was only playing of High before but I have better view distance and performance with this. Everywhere in game is amazing now, and only open towns like Whiterun have dips in FPS (which I had before mods).

Himmelsrand Custom Shader Suite - This adjusts some of the effects and adds some post processing effects. The colour balance is much more natural than the default and dark areas in the game are dark as they should be so you'll need light sources sometimes. I noticed no change in performance and the results are a huge improvement!

News Comments > This is Your Brain on Games
6. Re: This is Your Brain on Games Nov 16, 2011, 00:14 MisterBenn

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 23:58:
Pfft, 12 hours a week? I guess that means I'm somewhere around quintuple-screwed...

Do you have a giant lump on the side of your head which bulges to contain a massively overdeveloped reward centre? In some circles it's a badge of honour!

News Comments > On Minecraft Mod Support
4. Re: On Minecraft Mod Support Nov 16, 2011, 00:10 MisterBenn

I understand he's talking about the front page menu option which suggests you could select and enable mods in the same way that you do texture packs. The text has been there for a while but to install mods you currently still need to open the jar file manually in an archive editor and inject the files of the mod that you require.

At the most basic level I think this would be automated somehow - however it opens a can of worms in that many mods are incompatible and can prevent minecraft from starting at all.

286 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo