Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MisterBenn

Real Name MisterBenn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 2, 2011, 16:34
Total Comments 277 (Amateur)
User ID 56105

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
4. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Jan 26, 2012, 18:35 MisterBenn

Yep those extra "DLC" items are both outrageous, both the virtual foil and the "pay to complete the game rather than play it" thing. Not only are the foils bad in concept but they are too in execution - the foil screws up the artwork completely but running all these weird foily shades over it all the time.

That aside, I've had a lot of fun with this game. I've never touched a read MTG card in my life but this just plays like a TBS game and the AI is pretty good too. The AI is quite chess computer-esque - it uses heuristics and is very good at processing all the permutations of combat / activated abilities and instant spells to good effect, but isn't quite as good at long term strategy. I've been modding the game to add decks and the AI does however embrace the new cards straight away and puts them to good use!

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
1. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Jan 26, 2012, 01:53 MisterBenn

Never, ever buy the foil unlocks. The cards look much worse and you can never reverse it!  

News Comments > Skyrim Version 1.4 and Creation Kit Near
8. Re: Skyrim Version 1.4 and Creation Kit Near Jan 19, 2012, 21:39 MisterBenn

The modding scene's already been busy without a toolset, it's going to explode now! Of course some wading will be needed at the start, there will be plenty of "sword of kill everything" mods and lightsabers coming out...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
41. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2012, 22:49 MisterBenn

Sepharo wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 20:06:
typing responses I don't submit

Oh my god I thought I was the only one! I've written a couple of paragraphs before now, then just closed the window after I realise that most Bluenewsers would have encapsulated the same meaning in a single sentence fragment!

I support the blackout, it's good to have principles on these things. incidentally the BBC just reported it over here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16604990

News Comments > Ubi DRM Thwarts Review
42. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 22:32 MisterBenn

Most of these forms of DRM are not aimed at tech-savvy pirates... even Ubisoft know that they can't prevent their games being cracked and distributed to those who know what they're doing. They are aimed at the mainstream market, to prevent the more casual gamers from trading their games back to shops, having 5 friends play the game from one copy, and buy used games for a low price etc.

OK, Steam does discourage / prevent used sales, but their approach of reducing games in price quickly is a great substitute. They are tempting honest customers rather than punishing them and faring well because of it...

News Comments > Mojang Developing Three Games
12. Re: Mojang Developing Three Games Jan 13, 2012, 21:01 MisterBenn

It will be interesting to see how Mojang fares in the coming months and years. You certainly can't base a business around all your indie releases being as big as Minecraft. It's a bit crude to call that a fluke since there is a genius concept behind it that noone else had thought to create... but at the same time to even have a second idea that stirs up its own culture in the same way is amazingly unlikely. I'd admit Notch was truly a genius if he achieved it again.

Regarding spreading Mojang thin, it's probably true even if it's one person per game full time. They seem to be set up as a straightforward small developer, with a dev team and a consultant providing business/marketing/sales analytics etc. They need one of these follow-up games to do a lot better than your average indie game otherwise they'll lose cash with all the infrastructure they have. They're gonna have to find steady, strong sales from somewhere otherwise the Minecraft money will steadily evaporate.

The best resource that Mojang has right now is its brand recognition. They need some way to leverage that such as becoming an indie game outlet as well. Indie games are surging due to the proliferation of the electronic marketplace and Steam channels most of the profit at the moment. Mojang has enough brand, capital and (currently) indie credentials that they could rival them if they tried...

News Comments > Intel's Fake Ultrabook Gaming Demo
10. Re: Intel's Fake Ultrabook Gaming Demo Jan 10, 2012, 20:13 MisterBenn

Veryangry "It's a FAAAAAAKE!" (picture an optolithic data rod in hand)

That's a very odd clip, seems most likely to be a case of laughing off a failed attempt to sync up with the clip. Who on Earth would make a demonstration based upon setting up that kit then disappointing the audience that it's not actually happening? Also I can't believe that laptop had to organise itself for a couple of seconds before showing a video!!! My laptop with Radeon X600 Mobility doesn't do that and it's from the stone age...

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
5. Re: Cooler Master Cosmos II Case Jan 3, 2012, 17:56 MisterBenn

I have the Cosmos I case right now, I've had it for a couple of years. It's rock solid and very spacious but even as an enthusiast I've got to say that it's probably overkill! Unless you are planning to keep buying more and more drives and PCI devices then I can't imagine that you'd ever need that much space.

I would say that it's been great to work with, all the wiring is straightforward with all the space and access that you have and your drives click in and out nicely... but the case is massive! I was generally thinking of being completely future proof when I got it, but now that slimline laptops and tablets are so common it really is starting to look monolithic. Also it is much, much heavier than it looks! I moved it into a different room for some Christmas Pro Evo with the family and I was actually outraged by how much it weighed!

The functionality is good and apart from the size the design is good too. That new model looks even better in plain black. It comes with 8 regular case fans which are louder than my CPU fan (my E8400 is clocked up from 3000 to 3400MHz and I adjuested the fan upwards) - probably a fan controller would be good advice if you're looking for minimum noise.

If you are the sort of person that has the case open all the time and accumulates loads of internal devices then you might love the case, it does do everything well and the expandabiliy is great. If you keep your case closed most of the time or it is not hidden away then probably there is a better compromise than a case as large as this...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2011, 21:00 MisterBenn

I can relate to the need for lots of dental work! I've had 5 extracted teeth - 4 milk teeth when I was young and a fifth a few years back that had an abcess underneath... removing that one was agony. I had three rounds of root canal around the year 2000 as well! Finally, last year I had an overgrowth of gums due to being allergic to a medication, I almost had to have a gingivectomy where they shave away the excess gum tissue!!! Luckily I escaped that but they needed to clean underneath this new gumline where I couldn't keep it clean properly... that involved pulling the gums away from the teeth and it produced a lot of blood! Anyhow this all taught me that it's possible to learn a phobia from scrath, I was fine with dentists years ago but I hate it now!

MisterBenn (smashing the stereotype about British teeth)

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI Patched
14. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI Patched Dec 24, 2011, 18:49 MisterBenn

Thanks I appreciate the answers, and merry Christmas!  

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI Patched
9. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI Patched Dec 23, 2011, 20:13 MisterBenn

So I have a question - is this game / series any good? I know that it's got a big following and heritage, and also being made of all the things I like (turn based strategy / fantasy setting / 4x gameplay aspects) I really should be loving this game. Unfortunately I tried it (played through the missions of the first campaign map) and it's completely left me cold.

Any 4x potential in it seems to be diminished by the fact that you move a single hero around with the army attached. The battles should be great (I love that Wesnoth / Fall From Heaven way in which your units have a great many attributes and statuses and you can see all the detail) but in fact everything I saw was like 2 stacks versus 2 with little room for tactics apart from what order to attack what. Also the first campaign map at least was very linear!

So I ask - have I just not seen enough of the game yet? Should I ignore the campaign because it's all about the skirmish and multiplayer? Is VI not the best in the series? Do I need my head examined? I would appreciate any thoughts on this, on paper I should be loving it and it's rare that I don't get what a game is at least trying to do.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2011, 13:59 MisterBenn

Quboid wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 11:31:
Football is better than soccer and I defy anyone to dispute this with a straight face. Clearly, football is a much better name for that game which involves your foot and a ball.

(Really shouldn't reply to an opinion post like this but you caught me at a weak moment!) Not trying to belittle American Football since I respect that it's huge and beloved... but wouldn't it have spread over the planet if it were "clearly" better than soccer?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 15, 2011, 11:30 MisterBenn

Longest headline of the day!  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2011, 10:14 MisterBenn

I'm in the UK and it behaves as you said Blue. The first link produces the site's 404 page and the second link leads to the patch notes with /en/ in the URL.  

News Comments > Distant Worlds - Legends Patch
1. Re: Distant Worlds - Legends Patch Dec 12, 2011, 13:01 MisterBenn

I can't get over how good this game is! I was put off 4X games that play in real time after Sins of a Solar Empire, where the pace was too fast and it played just like an RTS.

I finally bought in after seeing some vids of the Legends expansion... the scale and detail are superb, the game mechanics are extremely well-conceived and executed, and the micro and macro management options are well done and keep the game flowing. It's the best space strategy I've played in a long time.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2011, 14:23 MisterBenn

I also got the germs as of yesterday, I must have caught them while going for my winter flu jab!  

News Comments > Skyrim Creation Kit Next Month
10. Re: Skyrim Creation Kit Next Month Dec 1, 2011, 21:02 MisterBenn

Great news! I think there'll be a place for third party sites, there's no way the Steam Workshop will host something like a killable children mod.

Also if the workshop doesn't allow manual installation it might be annoying, by the time you have some customised and merged mods and levelelled lists you usually want full control of what you install and where.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Nov 30, 2011, 21:19 MisterBenn

Love it!  

News Comments > Skyrim Patch Wednesday
4. Re: Skyrim Patch Wednesday Nov 28, 2011, 21:26 MisterBenn

I used RadeonPro to set the frames rendered ahead to 0, which improved the mouse input lag a lot too. The mod version of this replaces the directx dll file and I couldn't use it at the same time as my post process injector...

Between the ini commands for h and v mouse sensitivity and the responsiveness fix above, it seems for me the frame rate / sensitivity coupling is the last issue around the mouse for me.

News Comments > Skyrim Patch Wednesday
2. Re: Skyrim Patch Wednesday Nov 28, 2011, 20:57 MisterBenn

Yeah it's a bit odd, and left and right don't seem to change?!?! I had what I expect is the NPC sleeping animation bug... during an Imperial quest I had to report to an NPC who happened to be in bed. I got there and he was laid there completely unanimated, screaming at me "Quick, you must act now!!!"

Very strange, but that's about the limits of my problems. We need the construction kit!

277 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo