Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MisterBenn

Real Name MisterBenn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 2, 2011, 16:34
Total Comments 286 (Amateur)
User ID 56105

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 6, 2014, 11:20 MisterBenn

Man that race is tempting! I've already been putting way too much time into this game, got my first guy to 90 last week and started building a second one now with my new loot. Surely one more character wouldn't hurt...  

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 19, 2014, 09:36 MisterBenn

Free speech confirmed!  

News Comments > Frozen Synapse Free Weekend; Sale
3. Re: Frozen Synapse Free Weekend; Sale Apr 18, 2014, 11:53 MisterBenn

Completely worth the sale price, it's a great little game. Being indie it's not incredibly media-rich but the dystopian hacker theme is done well via 2d artwork and the overall graphical style. Great tactical battles with a precise level of control with lots of second guessing and psychology versus another human. Lightweight so it also runs on an ageing laptop and the soundtrack is great! More features, missions and music in the complete pack (game+red DLC included) which is the best way to get this.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2014, 10:13 MisterBenn

I would have been in support of this section being named "Out of the Pink" for a day!  

News Comments > Chaos Reborn Kickstarter
6. Re: Chaos Reborn Kickstarter Mar 17, 2014, 15:57 MisterBenn

There's an alpha gameplay video with interview. Very few animations and default Unity GUI so far but character and terrain models are present and a lot of gameplay rules are in place it seems. Some of the improvements I was hoping for (permanent visual indication of monster ownership, visible summoned weapons and mounted wizards) are already in place. PC is the main platform and I think Linux and Mac are in at launch too. No current plans for mobile devices so far but it sounded like they are a possibility if things catch on in a big way.

I'm going to back this tonight, I want to make sure it happens since I loved Chaos when I was a kid with a Spectrum and Gollop's credentials are beyond question. I'm a bit concerned at hints of a smaller player limit, in the video they talk of 1v1, 2v2, 2v2v2 and a 6 player max ffa. One of the prospects I was most hoping for was big team matches so it will be a shock/disappointment if in 30 years the scale of the game is reduced. I don't think I ever created a game as small as 4 player in that time.

As for the single player mode, I have no idea what to make of that yet. Some of it sounds like the typical progression system that many kickstarter games have which make it possible to offer incentives to heavy backers. Some of the talk of spell accumulation and a constructed spellbook sound like they could be amazing if done correctly. By far the biggest alure is online multiplayer since Chaos was a timeless game merely versus the AI, so anything great in the campaign mode is just a bonus to me.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2014, 13:08 MisterBenn

Wow - the giant Titanfall advert that layers itself in front of Bluesnews and reappears every time I navigate is really obnoxious!  

News Comments > Star Lords Early Access
22. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 21:06 MisterBenn

Darks wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 10:41:
I used to love these types of games, but over the past several years, turn based games have kind of turned me off. Im more into real time like Sins.

Curiously I've gone the other way over time, the real time aspect puts me off now and I find the poring over of sitrep and colony summary screens to be integral to the appeal! Of the modern crop of space 4x games I'd say that Distant Worlds impressed me most for having the best living, breathing galaxy to explore and expand into. It was rich and organic but because of the real time pausable gameplay I always felt like I was missing details once the game began to grow and eventually I'd feel like unless I was pausing all the time, I'd be more or less letting the game play itself.

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2013, 21:14.

News Comments > Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch
31. Re: Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch Dec 3, 2013, 23:37 MisterBenn

In my experience the Steam installation is better in every way. If you played with GGG's installation first then you should go to their website first and create the link to a steam account from there. If you go to steam first I don't think you can permanently lose anything but you can create a second PoE account which is blank, and panic when all your sweet loot has gone!

The 2 main advantages of steam are:

1) It's more stable than the GGG installer in my experience. I had constant pack file errors build up over time leading to texture corruption and the occasional CTD (once again while playing in hardcore leagues!!!) - there is a repair utility in the game dir and it would find things needing repair almost daily, definitely every few days. This doesn't happen with Steam.

2) GGG's network security is based around requesting validation emails whenever your IP's resolved location changes from the last successful login. This might not affect you buy in my case my ISP here uses dynamic IPs whose locations cycle within 5 or 10 nearby towns. A switch of IP address and detected location leads to being dropping if currently connected, and a validation email being needed when you relog. Before moving across to steam this would frequently happen three times a day! Steam Path of Exile uses Steam security tied to your login like normal, and never does this.

News Comments > Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch
11. Re: Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch Dec 3, 2013, 12:33 MisterBenn

Yeah I am still loving this one, I can't get enough. I'm up to I think $80 or $100 in purchases (almost entirely spent on stash space here too!) - it's unlike me to lavish that kind of cash on a single title but I am in the curious position of feeling happy to award the developers for having a wholesome philosophy and for all the fun they've given me.

The network / netcode issues still need to be mentioned, the desync problem remains in place and there is no plan to work on it specifically. I'm pretty sure it's a business model issue, the bandwidth consumption is aggressively streamlined in order to support the free to play model. Some things like the position of the player, mobs and bosses are predicted and actually synced with the client many seconds apart in some situations - as a resync happens you will frequently see that you were attacking thin air or you were a screen away from where you thought you were and being hit from all sides without defending yourself. Part of playing Path of Exile in the permadeath leagues is to accept that this WILL bite you at some point and it WILL leave you wanting to uppercut your monitor across the room!

The biggest strength of the game is that all parts of your build are modular and you can mix and match your favourite parts to come up with something noone else has. It's a min-maxer's wet dream! I made a novelty build using the notoriously bad Searing Bond skill combined with lightning warp totems and it ended up surprisingly viable. It's level 74 currently, it doesn't really have enough stopping power to push into the hardest end game maps but I was able to solo almost all of Merciless difficulty. I made a quick video: Searing Bond Scion. For now it's parked while I experiment on the next project.

If you are looking for an ARPG where you really have to embrace all the game mechanics and really think about how to design a strong character there is no better choice for me. Because they keep releasing new build-defining uniques and revisiting the balance of skills and abilities over time, it remains fresh and there's always something new to experiment with.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 30, 2013, 15:55 MisterBenn

Examples like Lavabit and Silent Circle have show that you will get prosecuted and/or run out of business if you don't hand over full access to any public communication you host while on US soil. I imagine the rules are the same here in the UK. Why bother with claims like this that can't possibly be true? It just indicates that you are not even trying to be sincere.  

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
71. Skyrim Mods Nov 28, 2013, 18:57 MisterBenn

Here is my lightning / shader setup for Skyrim

Ultimate Lighting Overhaul http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/37846/?
A shader mod based on SweetFX. I tried many of them and this has a fraction of the resource drain, my system is not cutting edge and there is almost no noticable difference. I haven't played for a few months but at the time I checked out all the shader mods available and this was miles away my favourite. The emphasis is on natural colours rather than a stylised or cinematic style. They have totally succeeded at that! The different weathers and times of day use colour palettes which are so natural and convincing, it really blew my mind and I frequently stop to admire what they've done. I know a lot of people say things like that but I am really into this stuff and this mod really stands out to me as being exceptionally well done.

ELFX http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/27043/?
An environment mod that actually adjusts world spaces this time. It makes sure that lights in game actually emerge from light sources (invisible sources would flood lights into the centre of rooms in vanilla) and it adjusts the radii of light sources to be what you would expect. Some additional lamps and lights are placed around time to adequately light them up under this system.

Climates of Tamriel http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17802/?
Everyone knows this one, the definitive weather mod. Awesome with no downsides.

If you haven't tried those out I couldn't recommend them more. One of the best features of Elder Scrolls is the allure of the environment and these mods help that atmosphere a lot. Clearly these are aesthetic mods although the lighting does make indoor / sneaking gameplay different and imo far better.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
57. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 28, 2013, 09:36 MisterBenn

Acleacius wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 15:35:
Now I have to keep checking back every 8 hours for the Flash sales!

I haven't put this to the test, but the thing I read on Steam yesterday said if an item is on your wish list Steam will email you when the product is "heavily discounted".

I put Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes on that list, it's 50% off now and the DLC is too... once a daily / flash deal comes up I will buy the whole set. I tried vanilla Fallen Heroes a while back and thought it was my favourite of the new fantasy 4x games by a long way but felt it needed more content and bug fixing... now is the time I believe!

Edit: Why can't I quote properly?

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2013, 10:37.

News Comments > Path of Exile Launch This Week
8. Re: Path of Exile Launch This Week Oct 21, 2013, 22:04 MisterBenn

I still think this game is magnificent! Haven't got bored of experimenting with builds yet and it's getting a shake up with the Scion class and rejigged skill tree that other characters can't traverse the centre of any more. Can't wait to experiment with trigger gems to automate some of utility spells too.

Yeah the currency system is a curious one but I think it works really well. It's definitely easy to burn through your currency with a few bad rolls and we've all been burned by RNG somewhere along the line, but the strong currency sinks have done a good job to stabilise the trade value of the various orbs over time.

Beyond about level 80 there are definitely diminishing returns in terms of what you can do and what value you can get out of it, I presume they will extend level caps at some point. In throwaway comments there has been talk of producing a further act each year while the game remains popular enough and they are releasing significant new content in 4 month intervals in sync with new leagues that run for the same amount of time.

It's not the flashiest ARPG around but the graphics are absolutely adequate to my eyes and the visual design is great in places. Net lag and desync still stalks players too, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to Diablo fans looking for something new.

News Comments > Ian Livingstone Leaving Eidos
4. Re: Ian Livingstone Leaving Eidos Sep 30, 2013, 23:16 MisterBenn

Man I loved those as well. I don't think I had any gaps when there were 20 in the series... do you guys remember the Sorcery Epic quadrilogy too? Those were my favourites I think.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Online Microtransactions?
4. Re: Grand Theft Auto Online Microtransactions? Sep 23, 2013, 20:57 MisterBenn

I don't recall where now but before the release I read a news item mentioning openly that there were microtransactions this time round.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 14:38 MisterBenn

Diversionary tactic: I see that Worms Clan Wars came out. Despite being a PC only release it's built on the Revolutions engine that was multiplatform and I read that the things I hated in that (30fps for worm animations and movement, input delay) are still in which is a big disappointment. It's also very similar to revolutions from what I can see.

If you have a recent Worms title I would suggest skipping this. If you care about PC titles being optimised for the platform or the physics and feel of the game being snappy then I would skip it too. If your social/family group loves the series then I suspect the magic recipe is still in there somewhere underneath the bullshit additions but for me this again is not the killer title that the series needs to make it essential again.

Edit: also interesting to note that Team 17 closed down their public/support forums. It's necessary to go to the steam forum to discuss your problems now. I guess they got/fear another backlash...

News Comments > Brain Overclocking Headset
13. Re: Brain Overclocking Headset Jul 5, 2013, 17:10 MisterBenn

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 12:25:
Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 12:19:
Next will be the penis overclocking model.

I am sure ones this comes out the modding community can whip that up

I read on a benchmark site that pushing 10 cycles per second and beyond can lead to significantly reduced lifespan and in some cases units had to be retired early due to burnout...

News Comments > Magic 2014 Duels of the Planeswalkers Released
2. Re: Magic 2014 Duels of the Planeswalkers Released Jun 26, 2013, 22:35 MisterBenn

Some of the past decks were a bit stupid (a goblin charge deck when none of the others are set to counter it, Jace's mill deck is slow and boring every time) but overall I love the game. I'm still playing 2013 and I've bought them every year since the series started, for about UK7 a year you can't go wrong IMO.

I bought the game then downloaded a scene release and extra modded decks last year so for me deck variety and card unlocking wasn't a problem. Most of the DLC is not necessary but extra decks for a small cost during the year I don't find a problem at all. It's diluted from the main Magic experience but there's still a lot of gameplay there for the money if you don't mind that; I'd recommend it without hesitation.

News Comments > Scrolls in the Black After One Week
3. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 12:25 MisterBenn

I've watched a couple of the TotalBiscuit videos of gameplay. It could be interesting, combining the collectible cards and deckbuilding of MTG with a hex based, "attacking down lanes" system with a resemblance to M&M Clash of Heroes. The presentation is stylised and quite clear without being gorgeous, potentially there is quite a lot of depth in the gameplay although the action did strike me as a little on the slow side. You'll have to get engrossed and spend time grinding free cards or purchasing microtransactions if you are hoping to be competitve I imagine, like a lot of collectible games.

I agree the game is basically released now, it seems as though the release has been quite smooth though and if it's making money already it's another victory for keeping development costs under control. As for the game, I can imagine people liking it but I will probably stay with DOTP for the moment unless I hear that this game is gaining serious traction.

News Comments > Worms Clan Wars Announced; Beta Testers Sought
5. Re: I've Got the Latest News Jun 21, 2013, 10:28 MisterBenn

I wonder whether that means it's a PC only title or whether it's just that PC will come first. I really hope the former... I felt that that disappointing parts of Revolutions was down to being a port.

The menus in Revolutions were horribly consolised; for example rather than being able to drag your team members around in the roster to reorder them, you have to click through about 8 screens of options adding and removing worms. All those screens were animated to slide in and out of the screen, it was agonising!

The feel was a bit off as well, the worm animations and some types of scrolling were rendered at 30fps and others were at the full 60. Also the pacing of turns has never been as snappy since Armageddon, all the zooming and scrolling around just hold the turns back a little bit to me.

Of course friends+worms+alcohol is a recipe that to some extent cannot go wrong, in a group like that the technical details frequently don't matter. However to me the pinnacle of the series was when the gameplay was at its most sharp and concise and that the last couple of iterations' graphical fluff and ported engines have lost sight of that. If Clan Wars actually is PC only I really hope Team 17 will seize the opportunity to give us a title well tuned for the platform, then yet again they will see me part with my money...

286 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo