Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MisterBenn

Real Name MisterBenn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 2, 2011, 16:34
Total Comments 281 (Amateur)
User ID 56105

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Game Limits Returning
31. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 14:53 MisterBenn

I'm completely satisfied that I stayed away from this one, from all I've read the cash cow and online only design choices definitely have constricted the fun to be had.

My question is though, if you could strip away those negative surrounding features like the online only restriction and the prevalence of the auction house and strip the game down to purely the gameplay... is it actually noticably better than previous dungeon crawler games? Diablo 2, Torchlight, Titan Quest, Dungeon Siege etc? How does the action compare, are the character builds interesting, what's the long term appeal like? From the vids I've watched it reminds me of Starcraft 2, mainly an update to modern technology and production levels but largely the same game we've played before. Is this the case with Diablo 3?

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Total War: Rome II Announced
26. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 3, 2012, 00:27 MisterBenn

Yeah, this is amazing news, Rome was my favourite setting for Total War by a long shot. I really hope the open world capaign will still be there with the whole choice of nations to be... it was great to play as the backward nation of hillfaring spearmen and ignore all the world's politics as you concentrate on fucking up your hated neighbours from the next set of hills.

Strangely, the trailer reminded me of real actor trailers of the past like Command and Conquer! Oh and it was nice of the dog from Skyrim to make a cameo

News Comments > Diablo III RMAH Issues
26. Re: Diablo III RMAH Issues Jun 30, 2012, 23:33 MisterBenn

... then the mask was removed and it turned out that Blizzard had been the Prime Evil all along. The end!  

News Comments > Source Filmmaker Announced; Meet the Pyro Released
23. Re: Source Filmmaker Announced; Meet the Pyro Released Jun 27, 2012, 20:46 MisterBenn

jdreyer wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 15:44:
Frijoles wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 15:41:
If HL3 does come out, I'm wondering if they'll be making movies. Seeing Gordon and Alyx in a cinematic. *swoon*

Corrected.

Given enough time, the chance of any decent game getting a sequel approaches certainty. They know they've got that one in the locker when they need to pull a guaranteed bestseller out...

News Comments > Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo
9. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 25, 2012, 00:17 MisterBenn

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 23:12:
I guess it's ok if you <...> just want to play with the decks they give you.

It's definitely a bit diluted in the way that you say. From what I've seen so far though, the deck customisation options are quite a bit better than last year. You get 60 cards plus 30 unlocks this time around, last year you just unlocked more powerful cards and mainly just optimised the deck. This time you have enough unlocks to push the decks in one of a few different directions.

Also for the ambitious, the mod tools just got coded for 2013. If you are prepared to learn how the game expects you to articulte all of its rules and then code cards in Lua within XML then you can put your own decks in the game. Even the AI makes excellent use of the new cards and the heuristics it uses have frequently improvised combinations of attacks and spells that I haven't thought of myself. It plays like a chess computer in that it plays very few short term mistakes but it doesn't always pursue long term goals in an optimial fashion and you can sometimes distract it away from it's best interests.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2012, 20:08 MisterBenn

Sepharo I guess you are quite handy at Counter Strike!  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 20:00 MisterBenn

Chromius wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 16:52:
Civ IV was the last Civ game for me. Civ 5 was dumbed down (simplified) way too much for the console masses just like many other titles in the last few years. It is good they improved it a little though. Have not played the expansion, but I just cant see how it competes with Civ IV Beyond the Sword after reading about it?

I haven't tried the expansion but stopped playing Civ 5 after a couple of games as I disagreed with some of the design changes. I hated Social Policies instead of Civics most of all, it made the game feel much less like a political or world simulator and just another game where you can unlock arbitrary bonuses from some trees. It felt much more like every other modern game because of that.

I also didn't like the City States! In previous civs, all cities adhered to the same ruleset of claiming ground and building improvements and buildings to utilise the natural resources. In civ 5 an arbitrary number of city states would run on a completely different system of not expanding, spawning units on a timer rather than producing them, etc. They also had their own diplomacy system that didn't use the same personality or relationship methods as the other civs. You even had civilisations and policies that gave bonuses to dealing with just these kinds of rival! I felt they took the original, organic setup of previous games and crowbarred an unneccesary set of game mechanics on top for the sake of it, and they made things a lot worse.

While that probably sounds like a rant, I do appreciate that many of the things that made Civ great are still there, I expect crushing people with tanks and helicopters after they've dicked you around still feels pretty great. I understand why it's been a polarising release; for me the new additions detracted from the epic scope and drained a lot of the flavour too and left something that left more like a board game.

Incidentally Chromius, if you still play Civ 4 have you tried K-Mod? This chap Karadoc works on Beyond the Sword to this day, he's quite restrained with changes to the vanilla game but he's made a great many AI improvements, some balancing and done some nifty things with the GUI like rewrite the unit cycling logic so that after you move a unit it cycles to one nearby instead of jumping to the other side of the planet... many nifty things like that. It's really worth taking a look!

News Comments > Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo
3. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 24, 2012, 19:30 MisterBenn

MTG Online is the money sink, not this one. Duels of the Planeswalkers was incredibly cheap for 2012, the game itself was under 15, I don't recall, and there were 3 DLCs of 1.99 each that added a total of 8 new decks. I played that over 100 hours and much longer than that modding in more cards and decks with the unofficial tools, it's the best value for money game I've played in a while.

The 2013 iteration is 6.99! Even with just the vanilla decks I'd recommend this straight away to someone who enjoys playing Magic. I've never touched a real card in my life, I just play this on the basis of it being a turn based strategy game with very good rules and AI.

News Comments > Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change
44. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 23, 2012, 09:38 MisterBenn

Perhaps that is true. I suspect though their research tells them that those well informed, principled and determined enough to actually say no next time are in the extreme minority and that the millions will still buy the next big thing of theirs, either because they feel it's worth it despite these annoyances or to be a part of the next big thing. They are probably surprised by how messy this one has become but I don't think they'll conclude that they are jeapardising their immediate future. As long as they are not forced to close the RMAH completely, the money will flow in for years and the people who successfully added this new revenue stream will be showered in cars and money!  

News Comments > Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change
41. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 23, 2012, 00:43 MisterBenn

All the vitriolic noise, bad headlines and customer dissatisfaction in the world are short term and acceptable in the eyes of Blizzard. These days the only variables that they track are how much can you push the monetisation of this product, and how much will it detract from the monetisation of the next product. This was a record breaking release and if Diablo 4 were to be released in say 7 years time, millions will buy that too. There is literally no chance that inside Blizzard they are talking about this as a failure. They have chosen to fend off the backlash on a day by day basis and push on with the plan, and given that their aim is to maximise revenue, they are doing the correct thing and will succeed!

Having said that, this wriggling is quite fun to watch from the sidelines, it's a bit like a slow motion car crash!

News Comments > Microsoft Unveils Surface
6. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 21:49 MisterBenn

Pankin wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 21:12:
Can you configure a screen of death with a custom color? So for instance, in addition to a BSOD, might you have a RSOD or a GSOD?

I love it! "For fuck's sake, another white with a hint of avacado screen of death!!!"

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: New Internet Explorer 7 Tax Jun 15, 2012, 17:29 MisterBenn

Yeah, my Vaio laptop is about 8 years old and Firefox on Windows 7 x64 is no trouble at all. I guess if you were placing an order from work you might be annoyed to pay a surcharge but in general I think it's quite a creative solution to encourage people to upgrade.  

News Comments > Civilization V Patch Adds Steam Workshop Support
1. Re: Civilization V Patch Adds Steam Workshop Support Jun 14, 2012, 22:08 MisterBenn

Ah, modding support! It occurred to me that the Civ 5 engine would play a great game of the Spectrum classic Chaos - The Battle of Wizards! One unit per tile, hitpoints and ranged combat, multiplayer etc, it could be fantastic. Since my coding and modelling skills are not up to it I will just have to keep my fingers crossed...  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Dawnguard Revealed
19. Re: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Dawnguard Revealed May 31, 2012, 17:32 MisterBenn

A faction and some new mechanics, this is quite straightforward DLC but at least we are a step up from the horse armour!  

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews May 30, 2012, 23:33 MisterBenn

Yeah I remember Civ 5 used to do the same thing to my GPU, Warlock doesn't seem so bad for me though for some reason.

I've actually parked playing Warlock for the moment, I think it needs more updates, multiplayer and mod support to reach its potential, then it really could be huge. In its current state it has a handful of issues:

- Too much emphasis on getting units from land features, so at many points your best available units do not coincide with your race flavour, such as healer race using vampires, beast races using halberdiers etc.

- The tactical AI seems pretty good but the strategic, not so much. The late game is more about a small number of very powerful units and the AI does not adapt well as it stands.

- Diplomacy is incredibly basic currently, generally other civs hate you and make demands if you are a rival, or will hound you for treaties every turn once you are noticably stronger than them.

- The role of magic should be increased, unit buffs are permanent so you get those in place before war. Damage and heal spells are mostly one per turn so they have less influence than perhaps ten attacking units per turn during a fight.

I've already had a lot more fun than with Civ 5 in its current guise and as a budget title I've had no regrets whatsoever. With a few updates and letting people go mad with user created content this could still be a monster game!

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week?
16. Re: Steam Bestsellers May 30, 2012, 21:57 MisterBenn

So will Battlefield 3 threads or Diablo 3 threads be the biggest rage magnets in days to come? This is a brave and ambitious showing by EA but I think that Diablo might still have the advantage!  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse May 30, 2012, 21:12 MisterBenn

Regarding our web addiction - I was expecting a photo of a pallid Jabba the Hut with keyboard and headset rather than a bar chart!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2012, 20:24 MisterBenn

I put it to you all that that "clever" dog just tried all possible actions involving those drawers until finally one permutation got him up on top! A cat would have been on top of there in seconds.

BTW I've finally been able to play the Torchlight 2 beta. I am loving it, it really does trigger the Diablo nostalgia. I'm not as bothered by the cartoon style graphics as I thought I might be and the main action is amazing! I just played up to general grell with a bow outlander and have had a blast. The action is really polished and some of the creatures and magic attacks are very well conceived! I'm playing on Veteran and there is not a problem with being to easy at all. I managed to kill Grell without dying but I managed a prolonged state of "oh shit oh shit" for about 5 minutes! I died just the once, opening two trapped chests side by side when on less than half health...

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 22, 2012, 10:24 MisterBenn

What the hell is Joomla? Is it anything like Skooma?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse May 22, 2012, 10:23 MisterBenn

Fibrocyte wrote on May 22, 2012, 04:49:
That's a new low for the bickering on this website.

Surely you jest? That's a completely understandable stance to have. I avoid Chrome for the same reasons.

281 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo