Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MisterBenn

Real Name MisterBenn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 2, 2011, 16:34
Total Comments 302 (Amateur)
User ID 56105

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Planar Conquest Announced
2. Re: Planar Conquest Announced Feb 7, 2016, 13:05 MisterBenn

I am checking out Thea now, looks to have a lot of potential so far, I like that the scale of distance and time are shorter than most fantasy 4x games.

Cutter I take it you tried out Age of Wonders 3? Warlock, Fallen Enchantress and Eador all left me cold too but AoW3 is MUCH better in the same vein.

Playing: Path of Exile, Binding of Isaac, Age of Wonders 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Brutal Doom
14. Re: New Brutal Doom Jan 3, 2016, 12:55 MisterBenn

What an amazing surprise this was! I finally downloaded this mod based on the level pack this release, and it is shit loads of fun. I'm 9 levels in so far and the map design and polish is fantastic throughout. There's some variation in locations versus the original in chapter one, but most is bang on what you would expect and overall the feel is incredibly faithful while being brand new to play.

They have some tweaks to the weapons, gun play and physics which are an excellent mid point between feeling like a modern shooter and retaining the original way things worked. The map pack is put together with a lot of love, the secret hunting is really faithful to the original, level 7 is an arena fight like Dead Simple was, you get the idea. Some of the ambushes are pretty evil! I had to concede that my hands are 40 years old now and I was going to enjoy it more setting it down to Hurt Me Plenty.

It plays really well out of the "box", but here are the settings I've found useful:

Brutal Doom Options -> Set Blood Amount down to Realistic. The default is more gore than that, and once things get busy it gets a bit much, it's tough to see through the piles of dead bodies and all the walls are red!

Automap Options -> Set Map Colour Set to Traditional Strife. This colours doors requiring keys on the minimap so you can find them quickly when you are backtracking.

Hud Options -> Message Options -> Set Scale Text in High Res to On. You can actually read messages from the game now if you playing in your native resolution!

Display Options -> OpenGL Options -> Texture Options -> Here are your options for smoothing the sprites, they make a big difference and are basically free on my 3 year old hardware. I have mine set to Texture Filter Mode = Trilinear, Anisotropic = 16x, HQ Resize Mode = Scale3x. That was the best mix of appearance and keeping max frames when things are really hectic.

I've only a couple of tiny negative comments - there's a performance problem in map 8 on my system: there are a couple of rooms filled with bad guys and racks of barrels up all the walls to kill them, the chain reaction in there brought me to 10-20 fps for 30 seconds. Otherwise I'm maxed all the time. Secondly, when you get hit by Mancubus fire the entire screen is basically a flame effect, so once you take a hit you are blinded and take like 5 more hits!

What a blast it is though. There's some nostalgia in there of course, but the action is rock solid and it's just fun to play in its own right. I really love single player FPS games with an engine that allows for huge swarms of bad guys coming at you. Too many modern shooters prioritise packing extra detail on to enemies but only have you fight up to say 5 at once. It's a fairly common mistake!

News Comments > The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth Released
5. Re: The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth Released Oct 30, 2015, 23:54 MisterBenn

As you win some runs, you generally unlock new items to find in future, but in general you always start from scratch at the start of a run. Items aren't persistent, but runs generally last 45 minutes, or 25-30 if you are an expert or don't get all the way.

The basic strategy to get rolling is not obvious, you have to hunt down items to get a decent source of damage going. These normally come from:

1) The Item Room (one per floor for the first several floors, has a gold doorway, needs a key after the first level)

2) Shop items (the good items cost 15 coins, early floors always have a shop and it will need a key).

3) Boss items (kill the boss and generally get more health, a damage increase or a familiar).

4) Devil / Angel items. If you kill the boss of a floor and you haven't taken damage to your red hearts, you have a good chance of getting an extra door (with devil or angel symbol above it) open with some deals inside. These generally involve trading away maximum health for a mix of really good items. Taking no hits at all on a floor is pretty tricky, but if you find some spirit or demon hearts (the blue and black ones) then damage will come off of those first and your red hearts will be protected.

That's the main framework of the game. Getting and combining those items into weird synergies is where a lot of the game's fun comes from.

News Comments > The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth Released
2. Re: The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth Released Oct 30, 2015, 21:11 MisterBenn

I was still hooked on this game before the DLC came out! The presentation is kind of childish at first glance but the warped biblical theme gives the game a definite unique style, with a good sense of humour packed in as well.

Even before the DLC, it was the most replayable roguelite that I've played. The way the random levels present you with ways to solve puzzles to get extra value out of your items is genius, and stops the levels getting boring because you're always looking out for tricks to get more drops.

I also like the way the game allows you to get genuinely overpowered when things go right. So many games make you grind for the good items these days, but Isaac understands that it has short runs and lets you feel good about yourself when an amazing combination of items comes together. You are also not protected from the RNG fucking you sometimes, and have to improvise and make the best of a bad situation, a bit like poker. It's one of those great pick up game for 30-60 minutes, and it makes a good couch coop game too.

News Comments > 9M Played Star Wars Battlefront Beta
63. Re: 9M Played Star Wars Battlefront Beta Oct 13, 2015, 20:28 MisterBenn

Random thought: It occurred to me today that this game will let you play Darth Vader and defeat Luke Skywalker - and if you teabag him and tell him you fucked his mother, for once it will actually be true!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2015, 23:01 MisterBenn

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth DLC opened for preorder today, release date is 30th October and it's 40% discounted until the day of release I think. Isaac's art style is so simplistic it's a bit off-putting, but it has a unique setting and is the most replayable modern reoguelike I've played by a country mile.

Incidentally are you guys aware of the VDC mod for Master of Orion 2? I don't recall seeing it discussed here. I know how much admiration and recognition that the Vampire: Masquerade mod gets for superhuman commitment... I don't know who the VDC guys are but their balance / overhaul mod for MOO2 is still in active development to this day too. I recently got it set up again on a 10 year old laptop now running linux and it has dated amazingly well.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2015, 23:08.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2015, 20:04 MisterBenn

I enjoyed the fact that that LSD study was placebo controlled. As if a subject and observer could go through a test cycle and be unsure as to whether LSD had been taken or not!!

My memories from back in the day of LSD and music is that it really was a mind blowing combination. I generally lost the structure of the music though, mostly I would be intently focussed on one moment of the music to the next rather than following which song is which - and I'd be constantly surprised by how serene / alien / explosive / sinister the music would sound and feel from moment to moment, even if it was an album I knew inside out. It was a lot of fun but in terms of substances that made music sound better, I preferred having a bunch of weed to smoke. You'd retain the ability to comprehend the meaning and structure of songs but they would sound amazing and enriched in a similar way.

Edit: Regarding salt - for the past few years I've been on a low salt diet, and I never have added salt in cooking or on served food. Only rarely do I miss the salt at this point, most of the time things only taste mildly different. These days if I end up tasting something with added salt, it's incredibly strong and the taste is almost like a burning sensation.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2015, 20:10.

News Comments > Master of Orion Collector's Edition
6. Re: Master of Orion Collector's Edition Aug 29, 2015, 01:07 MisterBenn

Can't wait to see how this turns out. Hopefully the overall tone and feel of the game is going to be improved versus what we saw in that dev diary video. Those alien race relations scenes were cartoony and spoken in English, and the dialogue itself was embarrassingly bad (Mrrshan talk entirely in cat references, and so on). I think they misstepped with that part, but I suppose it will be ignorable if the game recaptures some of the old magic.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2015, 14:14 MisterBenn

A tradesman with a great working knowledge and a willingness to be open with information is a rare and wonderful thing!  

News Comments > Path of Exile: The Awakening Support Packs & Divination Cards
23. Re: Path of Exile: The Awakening Support Packs & Divination Cards May 14, 2015, 12:14 MisterBenn

I hope in the next beta patch some of the gem quest rewards are fixed up. Starting as a melee Shadow it was pretty appaling, with only Viper Strike and Whirling Blades in the whole of act 1.

Act 4 is pretty nice so far, it continues the trend each act is more accomplished and stylish than the one before. Also the act soundtrack is the best yet, it immediately seems fresh compared to the existing stuff. Probably because I haven't heard it for hundreds of hours yet!

The new pack dynamics are interesting, packs of mobs now stay closer together than they did. Potentially you can AoE them down more cleanly but it also means they attack as a group more often. Act 4 has some outrageous physical projectile burst damage now! Even with the nerf to Ondar's Guile it's going to be seriously tempting still if things stay like this.

And yes, the introduction of lockstep is merely a week away! GGG must have some confidence that it will live up to what people expect because they have been backing it while knowing how rabid and furious the fanbase can be! Hopefully it will remove the outrageous desync moments the game has because it's the most glaring thing that puts people off, I'm sure.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines Mar 10, 2015, 21:15 MisterBenn

Reddit highlights the best user review so far!

"Able to play on launch day. 10/10"

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines Mar 10, 2015, 19:44 MisterBenn

I've watched Day9 play some of it, it looks very promising. It has a really clear, modern presentation and all the overlays look great and are very communicative. Street level view is awesome if a little cartoony! It seems comprehensively featured, no idea yet as to how big an area you can command or what performance is like when you do so. He had a beginner town on the go and performance was flawless on whatever machine he was playing on. It seems very polished and doesn't seem overly gimmicky.  

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Public Beta
8. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Public Beta Feb 14, 2015, 14:39 MisterBenn

Some videos started appearing on YouTube. Could end up being fun but needs a bunch more time in the oven yet.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 8, 2015, 17:51 MisterBenn

I hope that device plays the Family Guy "Full Blown AIDS" song when appropriate!  

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month
18. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month Jan 26, 2015, 12:03 MisterBenn

Did any of you guys ever play the Homeworld 2 Complex mod? I learned of its existence after I lost touch with the guys I might have played it with so I never tried it out other than playing with a couple of the ships in a skirmish. Seemed like it had a bunch of new ideas and lots of depth, anyone try it?  

News Comments > Path of Exile Ban Warnings
1. Re: Path of Exile Ban Warnings Jan 20, 2015, 18:25 MisterBenn

Interestingly, the 3912 warnings constituted just under 3.5% of the current player population. Chris Wilson confirmed on Reddit that "100/3.5% = 28.57*3912 = 111765 players" was accurate to the number of people logging in during their sample period. It's fascinating that an indie studio can operate and suppport a persistent online game with 111k players making voluntary / vanity mtx contributions.

I know it's a labour of love but I hope they are making some profit from their efforts: still love the game!

News Comments > Path of Exile PvP Update Next Month
2. Re: Path of Exile PvP Update Next Month Nov 27, 2014, 22:43 MisterBenn

The new league starts then too, I can't wait. Better exercise a little restraint on the run up to Christmas though, otherwise it's gonna be a banner fucking year at the old MisterBenn family!  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2014, 21:40 MisterBenn

Due to evolution, it's a certainty that one day in a similar situation, the ringworms will emerge from a dying host's orifices and wounds and do a horrific shriek at whoever killed their host. While the attacker recoils in shock, the worms extend down to the ground and scuttle the host corpse somewhere safe!  

News Comments > Metallica to Close BlizzCon
10. Re: Metallica to Close BlizzCon Oct 21, 2014, 13:44 MisterBenn

Walls of BlizzCon painted green, money talking!  

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Aug 30, 2014, 09:09 MisterBenn

From England: "It's one of the detriments of living under a monarchy" !  

302 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo