Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kitkoan

Real Name Kitkoan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kitkoan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2010, 04:28
Total Comments 678 (Apprentice)
User ID 56087

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2013, 19:10 Kitkoan

nin wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 15:28:
WaltC wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 15:11:
Quboid wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 13:57:
That Mac Pro was assembled in the USA. Cutter, how many of the manufacturers you buy from can even say that?

Assembled in the USA--made in China. (You forgot about that, I guess.)

No. He was referring to the fact that it at least contained some US labor, compared to any other number of companies that have none at all.

If I remember correctly, there is zero US labor involved in something like this that's "assembled in the USA".

It'd fully automated machines that are design, build and maintain by Chinese employees on cheap visas. It's all marketing to help people think they are bringing jobs back to USA, even though they aren't.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 19, 2013, 16:26 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 21:03:
When I was a kid I did steal a car - a Mercedes at that! And it was all fun and games till we got busted, haha! I still love Maude's rationale for stealing cars in Harold and Maude. 100 points to whoever can tell me what that was!

"here today, gone tomorrow"---don't get attached to things

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Re: Evening Previews Dec 17, 2013, 19:59 Kitkoan

So amazing, it had to be posted twice  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Link Dec 9, 2013, 18:39 Kitkoan

Hey Blue, just a minor heads up. Your link to the 5 Animal Rights Campaigns That Managed to Screw Over Animals is linked to the second page. Here is a link to the first page  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 9, 2013, 18:34 Kitkoan

And this is why sites like Hotfile aren't fighting against the MPAA/RIAA. There is no law or justice or even a fair trial to be had. They've lost before they started. Cheaper and easier to just settle because no matter what, they have to shut down.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Nov 17, 2013, 15:43 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 14:15:
I just buy my phones unlocked to begin with.

With you on this. Bought my newest one unlocked and plan on doing that more often so if my carrier decides to screw me over, I can just up and change on my call and be pay as you go.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
11. Re: Op Ed Nov 17, 2013, 15:41 Kitkoan

On a random note, the PS4 controller is a re-mapped PS3 controller for the most part with a couple of extra buttons. This means that if your device can read a PS3 controller, it can read a PS4 one.

Plugged a PS4 controller into my Nexus 10, kicked up the ePSXe emulator and went to re-map the keys (just in case). It declared it was a full PS3 DS controller, but remapping keys had a few odd results. The "Share" button is seen as the controllers L1 key, "Start" is R2, L1 on the controller is seen as L2, and the L-Trigger is a whole new key that isn't mapped to anything on the PS3 controller (I think it was called "Button 17"?), the I think the rest were fine. I know D-Pad and joysticks were fine, maybe the X,O, Circle and Square where in different locations but all there.

My tablet even recognized the touchpad button, not the touchpad itself though. So 1 extra button on the controller (I made it a "Save State" button myself).

Only odd note, at least for ePSXe was the L2 and R2 on the controller would have a full second of lag, had to go into mapping Player 1, Player 1 map axis, and change the L2 Stick and R2 Stick from whatever it's default is to Native. Then it was fine again.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
11. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 17, 2013, 01:10 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 20:01:
Well even though Jobs was an asshole and I hate Apple's exorbitant prices and walled garden, there's no denying the impact they've had on the industry and changed it for the better. Digital media, UI design, the smartphone, all things Apple blazed the trail on.

Unfortunately, what impact Jobs and Apple had on the industry was harmful, and blant copying of others innovations.

Digital media had more DRM because of Apple, it took Amazon dealing with record labels to remove music DRM (you'll notice the time that Amazon got that hammered out as OK, suddenly Apple declares it had always been their desire. But never a whisper or peep before).

UI design/smartphones came from things like the LG Prada phone, and others like Windows Mobile OS, the first phones made to be used for touch and not a stylus. Jobs was a flashy salesman, but not an innovator.

Even Android was being designed before the iPhone. It was first mentioned (before Google bought them) that Android was made as a smartphone OS in 2003 "Android (www.android.com) has operated under a cloak of secrecy, so little is known about its work... One source familiar with the company says Android had at one point been working on a software operating system for cell phones... In a 2003 interview with BusinessWeek, just two months before incorporating Android, Rubin said there was tremendous potential in developing smarter mobile devices that are more aware of its owner's location and preferences..."

In fact, everything you look for that Apple "invented" or "innovated" you'll find was months in not year(s) after someone else already did it, just Apple had a huge flashy marketing campaign behind it.

News Comments > Steam Box Previews
21. Re: Steam Box Previews Nov 4, 2013, 15:32 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:10:
How about getting the client up to date first? Remove the bloat, streamline it, make it faster, an offline mode that works, etc.

What bloat do you mean exactly? Personally it seems that it's been getting fine-tuned lately, scrolling seems a lot smoother as does the loading of game tile images.

And I'm pretty sure offline mode works now, did like 2-3 months ago when I had no internet and when it offered to re-load in offline mode it did it without a problem, no internet required to do that.

17. Re: Steam Box Previews Nov 4, 2013, 15:25 Kitkoan

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:20:
I wouldn't use those controllers to play a game if you paid me to.

I'm wanting one, sounds like it could make it easier to play games like Starcraft 2 and Guild Wars from a controller from what I've heard (granted I haven't looked too hard...)

Why don't you like them?

16. Re: Steam Box Previews Nov 4, 2013, 15:23 Kitkoan

nin wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:12:
You know, one of you three could provide links, to back up your side of the argument...

Valve states from their experience that OpenGL is better.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 3, 2013, 00:30 Kitkoan

MajorD wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 22:12:
Shok wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 20:53:
The news that a firmware update has increased Surface Pro 2 battery life almost 2 more hours piqued my interest today. It's still way too expensive for the 256gb or 512 that I would want though. Maybe if it comes down a few hundred I'll bite...

And I hate Win8 also but at least with a touch-screen it is bearable using metro...

I just received my Surface Pro 2 (SP2) this week; I've been talking about getting a new laptop for the past few years, and then I was looking to upgrade my current tablet, so I figured I would kill two birds with one stone and get the SP2. But, it wasn't without a lot of research, comparisons, and mental-masturbation.

It is like a tablet on steroids, and I am loving it so far. Yes, it is a little thicker and heavier than most tablets on the market, but it does more than an iPad and other tablets ever thought about doing.

If you haven't already, and you have a Microsoft Store in your area, it is worth going and checking out.

I'm quite tempted by one, but in the end there isn't much it can do that my Nexus 10 can't. I use it to read, study (take notes), sketch and to code, and both are just as able to do that. While I would prefer a better IDE then Sand on my Nexus 10, it does the job in the end which is all I really need.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2013, 11:57 Kitkoan

Verno wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 11:45:
Kitkoan wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 11:31:
My friends and I wouldn't buy a plasma tv because of issues with screen burn. Two of my friends both bought these big, beautiful plasma tv's and were told that the old problems of screen burn had been fixed. And after playing some racing game for an hour... you could still see the speedometer. Screen burn was still a huge issue. Though now it has a "remove screen burn" function that would work... if you left it running for an hour+ on that function. Harder on the electric bill.

In the end, they both returned their tvs and demanded LCD. A lot of us had been waiting a plasma tv because they looked gorgeous but those screen burning issues just killed any desire.

That is not burn in. Image Retention and Burn In are two different things. Burn in is permanent and can happen to both plasma and LCD, it's quite common to see in storeroom model. You have to purposely abuse your TV for days to get burn in on either technology. Image Retention goes away quickly and is usually a result of static images being displayed for many hours combined with brightness settings being too high. All your friends had to do was turn down brightness and contrast to more reasonable levels and they would have been fine I bet unless it was just a lemon panel. I play games and watch TV with logos all the time on my Panny without issues, the worst I've ever seen was 5 minutes of image retention after an hours long session of Dark Souls. The quality of plasma you buy matters too. The low end sets from LG are notorious for IR issues. My girlfriend has a mediocre LG plasma and sometimes it gets a bit of IR from the daughters cartoons but we just watch something else for 5 minutes and its gone. To be fair to LG too she has the brightness settings on ridiculous levels because she thinks it makes the colors prettier.

Whatever it's name, it happened. These weren't cheap tv's either, and I'm doubting both were lemons.

The static images took about an hour to set in and about 45 to an hour to remove. They weren't set to ungodly bright or contrast either. One night they passed out with the racing game on all night and the static image lasted for close to 3 hours before it finally started going away (they thought it was permanent) . These were normal problems they had, we all saw it and that killed the deal for us.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2013, 11:31 Kitkoan

Verno wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 09:40:
In the end people only want TVs as thin and as cheap as possible

Its not always for those reasons.

My friends and I wouldn't buy a plasma tv because of issues with screen burn. Two of my friends both bought these big, beautiful plasma tv's and were told that the old problems of screen burn had been fixed. And after playing some racing game for an hour... you could still see the speedometer. Screen burn was still a huge issue. Though now it has a "remove screen burn" function that would work... if you left it running for an hour+ on that function. Harder on the electric bill.

In the end, they both returned their tvs and demanded LCD. A lot of us had been waiting a plasma tv because they looked gorgeous but those screen burning issues just killed any desire.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Turns 5
51. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 29, 2013, 19:31 Kitkoan

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 17:06:
Go to the fridge dude and pour yourself a nice cold glass of "get over it" juice.

Meh, I think the thing that gets me isn't that the game kinda sucked, but that there are still plenty of retards out there who not only don't see the gross stupidity of settling a village around unexploded ordinance -- unexploded ordinance which made a massive crater despite not actually exploding -- but are also willing to defend it. Bethesda must have chained some monkeys to typewriters when writing the script for that game, but I guess when your target audience has a rather simian intellect to begin with, that isn't such a bad move.

No, only you must have a simian intellect, because you seem to know nothing about anything to do with rocket propelled systems, force of impact, how sand moves when impacted on, etc...

As I pointed out, mass and FORCE in the sand would cause a crator. If you're blowing up bombs across the world, you're not dropping them like Hiroshima, you are going to launch them with a rocket propulsion system and that doesn't have a max speed of terminal velocity. Again, the mentioning of a meteor, it has force behind it and not the max of terminal velocity. This is the nuke, and the back end has all the signs of a small jet engine to give a nuke added speed, causing a crater in sand. And since sand isn't the most dense it would easily make a crater like that with a large object with enough force behind, like a jet engine would grant.

You have to remember, Fallout is based on the Cold War. More accurately about what happen if Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) happened. These nukes weren't going to be dropped like the ones in WW2, they were to be rocket propelled with a lot of force to make sure they would a) hit their target more accurately and b) not be shot down in air causing a "dud". It's what made the Cold War so scary was that if one side starting attacking, then the other side would follow and since they are all rocket propelled then they couldn't be stopped, there were no airplanes to shoot down.

Seriously, read and learn about the Cold War and all the Fallout games will make more sense.

21. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 29, 2013, 00:23 Kitkoan

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 00:09:
Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 23:26:
Comparing a 5 year old game with a game that's not even out yet? So powerful!

ROFL. So a console open-world shooter, by virtue of its age, is now old school, while a revival of an RPG classic that *GASP!* actually has strong mechanical continuity with its predecessor is the new shit? Like, I said: ROFL.

Duke Nukem Forever just came to mind, Ultima 7 also comes to mind... Seriously, until the game is released you can't really say anything about it, if it's great or a flop. These thing happen. You can take an game with the same minds behind it and they might not come out with another success. More so after decades have past.

Consider this: where do you spend the majority of your gameplay hours in Fallout 1 and 2? Towns. You explore towns, and interact with NPCs, with negotiations frequently breaking out into brutal violence, as if there is a thin veneer of civilization which is ready to tear apart at a moment's notice, with the PC only occasionally venturing into an abandoned vault, or mutant infested cave. What about Fallout 3? Well there were like 4 full towns in the entire game and most of the game was spent dungeon crawling (subways anyone?). Bethesda quite literally made an Elder Scrolls game set after the apocalypse, which is great if you want Oblivion with Laser Guns and Mutants, but less great if what you wanted was Fallout 3.

Must have played a different game then I did.

In Fallout I spent more time out of towns then in them. Gecko hunting, rad scorpion cave, slaver missions, hunting to rat god, etc... And many parts of the town did act like a dungeon. Again the rat god caves were started in a town, doing the mobster tactics and then taking them down, the final church/area of the first Fallout. A big reason for this was for game size issues, they just couldn't make that many different locations and keep the game in a semi-manageable size. This is also why the whole overworld and not one giant area.

P.S. In Fallout 3, the first town is built into the massive crater of an unexploded bomb. The CRATER of an UNEXPLODED bomb. Think about that one for a moment. Fallout 3 writing kills brain cells. Fact.

It's called an impact crater. You know, like a meteor crater, except this one isn't nearly as large. It happens when something with mass and force hits an object like sand. Basic physics... any of this ring any bells?

13. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 28, 2013, 22:54 Kitkoan

Ratty wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 22:27:
Never played FO1 or FO2 sadly so no reason to hate the new ones as untrue to the originals.

While I have both of them and they are great, you just need to be patient with them at time. Far too many times in the game I've started up a battle in an area that I think has one or two people and it ends up there are like 20-40 different people so each turn takes 20-30+ seconds to get back to me between turns, as it has to go through everyone.

And maybe get the unofficial patches, they always were buggy games.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 28, 2013, 14:19 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 04:11:
Taskeen wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 19:27:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 15:47:
Just about every 3D printer out there is a "gun factory." Governments everywhere are shitting their pants.

Good, let them shit their pants. Governments are useless Orwellian fear-mongerers.

There are countries without functioning governments, like Somalia. One result is, in fact, lots of guns. Since you're so keen on that, we'll be waiting for your report of this Utopian country, since your moving there seems imminent.

Only issue with this though is those that have all those guns are the ones trying to become a government. So, remove these attempting governments and you remove the guns.

Sorry to add facts to your comment though, but yeah. Somalia has three main "powers/governments" and they are at war with each other and with this attempt of government has brought a lot of guns, weapons, war and death.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 27, 2013, 19:20 Kitkoan

Quboid wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 10:17:
Cutter wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 02:00:
Quboid wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 22:04:
Cutter wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 15:09:
Unethical users? Lol Apple and it's users are all unethical!

I own an iPod, is there any particular way in which I should kill myself or do I get to choose?

Admitting you have a problem is the first step. Redemption begins with an act of contrition. Destroy your Apple crapple before you're completely consumed by the dark side. If it's too late you may as well head off and join the Taliban.

But it has a 160GB hard drive and 40 hours of battery life. How else can I get that sort of audio performance in a pocket device? Is my own convenience not the most important thing?

More seriously, who can I buy electronic devices from who are any different? Is my Samsung phone any better? Are your electronic devices made by manufacturers who are any different?

I dislike Apple and wouldn't be in a hurry to buy any of their stuff now but in respect to working conditions and off-shore manufacturing, which I gather is your beef, I doubt Apple are any different to virtually anyone else.

While I don't know if they still make huge space mp3 players but if you want a quality mp3 player, you want a cowon mp3 player. Cowon is known for the best quality audio, way beyond ipod, and their players tend to average around 100 hours, yes 100, not a mistype.

I used to have a Cowon S9, was like night and day between it and my ipod 5th Gen in both play time and audio quality with the same headphones. They are a Korean company that builds their players in Korea, not shifty Chinese shops.

Cowon

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2013, 16:05 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 15:16:
McDonald's dumps Heinz over ex-Burger King CEO.

It just personal, nothing business.

It is business, just more of business then this article is showing. Burger King is controlled by 3G Capitol... One of the two companies that just bought Heinz. Meaning Heinz is one of Burger Kings sister businesses. Not something you'd want to be doing business with.

McDonald’s squeezes out Heinz ketchup – as it is now owned by rival Burger King

678 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo