Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kitkoan

Real Name Kitkoan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kitkoan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2010, 04:28
Total Comments 677 (Apprentice)
User ID 56087

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 28, 2012, 23:47 Kitkoan

space captain wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 23:36:
Kitkoan wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 22:52:
Seriously, releasing a version of Windows that looks and feels the same on hardware that looks and feels the same but is completely different is suicide. Customers are going to be confused to hell, sales staff in stores are going to hate this and will more likely try pushing anything else because its less of a nightmare for them. While most of us here can understand the difference between x86 and ARM and how that means programs for x86 won't work on ARM, most causal users/average people won't and all they will see is Windows and not understand how the 2 products that look completely identical are completely different.

you must not have ever heard of this other computer company called "apple", because they are doing the exact same thing

Apple sells a Windows tablet that looks identical to the other Windows tablets but doesn't run the same programs?

I knew Apple had no faith in their products (why they dumped Mac OS for the Mach Kernal and BSD after almost 20 years of usage) but this is a new step for them.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 28, 2012, 22:52 Kitkoan

Windows 8 might be a great OS, but the whole Windows ARM is going to kill them.

Seriously, releasing a version of Windows that looks and feels the same on hardware that looks and feels the same but is completely different is suicide. Customers are going to be confused to hell, sales staff in stores are going to hate this and will more likely try pushing anything else because its less of a nightmare for them. While most of us here can understand the difference between x86 and ARM and how that means programs for x86 won't work on ARM, most causal users/average people won't and all they will see is Windows and not understand how the 2 products that look completely identical are completely different.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 at GDC
37. Re: Unreal Engine 4 at GDC Feb 28, 2012, 15:13 Kitkoan

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 05:54:
Actually, you don't need more or better artists, you just need better tools. Sculpting is still a terrible chore and normal map generation for sculpts requires complex unwrapping and messing around.

What we actually need is procedural shaders for primary materials, like wood, stone, plants, ground material (sand/stone/etc.) as well as any kind of metal compound with paint simulation. A dirt simulation, AO in-engine baking etc.

The solution to better graphics is not more artists or more art. It is quite literally to automate stupid processes in art creation. Something that requires infinitely more GPU power than we have now, procedural stuff is still at least 20 times slower than baked stuff, that is why EPIC said that. The future is not better shaders, the future is that you do not need to design shaders anymore, you set the material type, paint type, dirt/wear is simulated according to model and you are done. At that point, you can do high-poly objects outside of sculpting, and once sculpting, baking, unwrapping is gone from art-work flow you can finally see some decent graphics in indy games, and superb graphics (photo-real, actually) in AAA games.

Procedural shaders are still years away though. Someone would have to do some insane R&D on that, but once that is done the possibilities are endless.

Interesting. If you do it that way, however, wouldn't that mean that all games made with the engine LITERALLY would look the same? Since they'd all use the auto-shader?

Creston

Not really, at that point its like an air brush. The paint is applied in the same manner since its completely controlled by is engine. But the artist gets to still choose things like " paint" density, concentration, angles, tones, shapes, etc... Grass can have different heights, colors, patches. Tees can have different leaves, colors, branches length and density, bark color or lack of bark. The tools can help but at the end your still left with the artists vision. If the artist doesn't understand how to use the tools to their fullest or is lazy, then yes, everything looks the same.

Think of a meadow. For the most part, they all run on the same basics. Grass, maybe a few trees, sky, etc... But each meadow can look very different even though the same basic principles are used and reused.

17. Re: Unreal Engine 4 at GDC Feb 28, 2012, 02:31 Kitkoan

tuddies wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 02:26:
As Mr. Reign stated clearly, we need an exponential leap in GPU power to really see a difference. Not double each generation, but 10x the rendering power to really achieve something noticeable.

The Samaritan demo only had a few objects and no AI. What about photo-realistic rendering with hundreds of thousands of static objects and thousands of AI. That could make for a mind*blowing experience, but would require a leap in GPU power.

Unless I'm mistake, the bulk of AI is handled by the CPU and the bulk of in game objects is handled by the GPU. It helps split the load on th system

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2012, 01:05 Kitkoan

You mean like the one guy who just got fined 85 and has to do 150 hours of community service for a racist message on twitter?

Article about the sentence.

His message was quote "With the number of darkies in your f*cking team, you should be called the C**n Army."

13. Re: Unreal Engine 4 at GDC Feb 28, 2012, 00:40 Kitkoan

Dev wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 00:04:
Kitkoan wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 23:29:
Well if the Unreal Engine 3.5 demo of Samaritan is any indication, it could be quite the thing to see.
The most impressive thing is that that is NOT a pre-rendered cut scene. It was rendered in REAL TIME.

Only problem is good luck seeing any game running something like that. The demo ran a very large rig (I think I heard rumors it was done on a triple SLI GTX 560's (technically "off-the-shelf" like they claim, but who has that kinda power?) and it also ran at a speed of 2.5 teraflop, which is beyond what the XBox 720 is supposed to be able to do even (read more here).

A game like this would need a nice budget from a big company and they won't make a game that won't run on any console. So until they can fine tune the code to support the XBox 720/PS4 to make a game like this run on those, keep waiting. (I think it will take 2-3 years after release of those consoles at least until you start seeing this)

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2012, 00:56.

12. Re: Unreal Engine 4 at GDC Feb 28, 2012, 00:26 Kitkoan

Fion wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 23:35:
I am so sick of this engine. Every game looks the same, all the characters are identical in every game. It is really getting boring.

Your serious? While some of the games do look the same, its because the artists are lazy and are trying to copy other artists.
Unless you really think Gears of Wars looks like Mirrors Edge which looks like Mass Effect which looks like Silent Hill: Downpour, ect...
Games made with the Unreal Engines.

9. Re: Unreal Engine 4 at GDC Feb 27, 2012, 23:29 Kitkoan

Frijoles wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 23:04:
I remember them showing off UE3 and just being in awe of it. Can't wait to see this one.

Well if the Unreal Engine 3.5 demo of Samaritan is any indication, it could be quite the thing to see.

News Comments > Mark of the Ninja Revealed
5. Re: Mark of the Ninja Revealed<br> Mark of the Ninja Revealed Feb 27, 2012, 21:24 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 21:20:
LittleMe wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 21:18:
Had to read that twice and I'm still not sure I ever read it.

It's part of the deception of the ninja. With a double title, you can't tell which is the REAL title, can you? Those ninja sure are tricky.

And like a true ninja, disappeared without a trace...

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 27, 2012, 21:07 Kitkoan

$50 off is slashing prices?...  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Whatever happened to Google Chrome OS? Feb 26, 2012, 23:49 Kitkoan

eunichron wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 22:46:
Do people even use netbooks anymore?

My girlfriend has one and I want one. My mother also has one. They are good for a basic, full OS. Nothing too powerful, and very portable. Cheaper then a tablet as well. Most apps that people want/know are still based on a full OS and either haven't been ported over to Android/iOS or have a crappy port (Skype on Android...)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Slovaks vote to name bridge Chuck Norris Feb 26, 2012, 16:05 Kitkoan

UnderLord wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 15:35:
Why would you do that? Who would dare cross it?

Chuck Norris bridge is so strong....you'd think it could pull both shores together

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Feb 21, 2012, 20:57 Kitkoan

For the GoG.com sale, its also buy any of the listed D&D games, and you get The Temple of Elemental Evil for free. This doesn't count against your buy one get one free either, its buy one, get one of your choice for free and The Temple of Elemental Evil for free too.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2012, 20:08 Kitkoan

Creston wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 15:38:
Way to perpetuate the gamer stereotype there, RDR studio.

Creston

Depends where they were going to market the game. In Japan, dating sims like Love Plus, sell quite nicely and could have been a good move for them and XBox adoption there.

News Comments > Be Mine Indie Bundle
4. Re: Be Mine Indie Bundle Feb 21, 2012, 18:17 Kitkoan

Just bought it.... and now I can't get the site to load. Am I the only one having this issue or does the site now seem to be down?

*edit* Working now... maybe they are just getting hammered. Its a good pack

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2012, 18:32.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Feb 17, 2012, 23:06 Kitkoan

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 21:14:
O_O

*spits out drink laughing*

What happen? Your coffee turn to beer suddenly?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 16:54 Kitkoan

wtf_man wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 15:34:
Jim wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 13:16:
I'm still on Snow Leopard. I haven't really seen the need to upgrade yet.

Ditto.

Technically, I don't think I can upgrade to Lion, even if I wanted to. I have a 2007 iMac... and I read somewhere something about Lion doesn't support the older Core 2 Duos. I'm pretty sure Mountain Lion will definitely out of reach. (Not that I care)

Well according to the article the officially supported Macs are:

iMac (mid 2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)

So I guess it depends when your Mac was made as to will it work. I'm guessing it will be available through the OSX app store (possibly only there) and will be able to tell you if you can use it (or not show up if you can't use it).

I also think it will only be available through the OSX app store because it will help prevent people from needing to ask "Will my mac run this?"

News Comments > Far Cry 3 in September
8. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 00:04 Kitkoan

The Far Cry 3 website.... is a Facebook page? I thought companies normally had their own .com for each game.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Feb 14, 2012, 01:08 Kitkoan

Prez wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 21:56:
So, Game of Thrones... any redeeming qualities at all, or did the reviews basically get it right?

I have to admit, even with the mediocre reviews the premise is still intriguing enough to tug at me.

While off topic, the whole Game of Thrones question does remind me of that video I saw on youtube...

Celebrity Story Time: Game of Thrones Author George R. R. Martin Reads Children's Stories

News Comments > Steam Downtime [Updated]
33. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 00:39 Kitkoan

Mordhaus wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 23:45:
We apologize for the fault in the data center's uninterruptible power supplies.

Those responsible for making sure the uninterruptible power supplies were not interrupted have been sacked.

Considering this is Valve, I would hope they would be moved to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center for testing purposes...

677 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo