Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kitkoan

Real Name Kitkoan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kitkoan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2010, 04:28
Total Comments 677 (Apprentice)
User ID 56087

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Linux Steam Plans Confirmed
37. Re: RE: Follow up Apr 25, 2012, 21:42 Kitkoan

It could also be the fact that Gabe Newell isn't stupid and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what is happening in the world of Apple and Microsoft.

Windows RT took cues from iOS and can only install what is available from the Microsoft store (don't know its name for that). That means no Steam on it. Ever. And since ARM processors are getting more popular, it runs the chance to overtake x86 in a few more years since for most people, it's "fast enough" since people mostly want to check Facebook/light gaming. If ARM does overtake x86, Windows 9 won't happen, it will be Windows RT v2 (or something like that)

OSX 10.8 has an option to only allow you to install from the Apple store only. While it's "Opt in" for now, it looks like Apple might very well be planning to lock OSX down like iOS. While it won't happen this year, it will more likely happen slowly over the next few, kinda like the whole "boil a frog". Slowly edge people into it, sell it to them and make them think it's for their good. "It's a security function, like on iOS, but is also a full OS so you can still do everything you've become accustom to doing with OSX." And with this whole Flashback trojan leading the charge of security nightmare on OSX, it is a very likely future for OSX.

The computer is slowly become a console. Install and run only what the maker says is ok, and it also makes sure that the maker not only makes money with the initial sale, but with every software purchase after it. The sale that keeps on selling. Apple and Microsoft would love ALL their products to do this (not just iOS and XBox).

With this as a possible future, I can see why Linux would be a good market for them. Push Linux, its secure, easy to use (believe it or not if you haven't tried it lately), light on the system resources and more importantly free. And Linux isn't showing signs of wanting to close out digital shops like Steam. Also the Humble Indie bundles keep showing there is quite a market for games on Linux (almost double the market of OSX, except for the current one. Most likely due to the whole "this game needs Adobe Air on Linux to run, something that was discontinued"). Also, all those Humble Bundle games mean there is already a good sized basic library and climbing of games ready for linux, and others can be wrapped in a custom Wine setting to help get more games on Linux (same that happens with many OSX games, they use Cider wrapper).

My 2 cents....

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 23, 2012, 15:07 Kitkoan

Having both a laptop and a tablet, I've found that the tablet is nice for reading ebooks and light websurfing... but doesn't replace the laptop. And when people ask I say the same thing. Its nice, but if I had to choose between the laptop and my tablet, byebye tablet.  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
3. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Apr 23, 2012, 03:38 Kitkoan

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 20:35:
Side effects may include:

Eating hundreds of tiny white pills all in a row.

And yet, thats what the doctor would recommend the kid do instead. Take a lot of pills in a row. Helps the doctors bottom line.

News Comments > Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup
7. Re: Botanicula Debuts in Humble Bundle; GOG.com Preorder Makeup Apr 20, 2012, 21:03 Kitkoan

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 11:45:

we get steam keys in the bundle which makes the offer superior to GOG any time of the day

Why does steam beat GOG any time of the day? I'm wondering? Aside from trophies? Or is that why?

The new GOG downloader is supposed to show when updates are available for your games and that was the only issue I knew about with GOG games.

News Comments > Dishonored Trailer
6. Re: Dishonored Trailer Apr 17, 2012, 22:37 Kitkoan

Personally, I hate trailers like this. Sure, you have nice CG artists that can make some nice pre-rendered scenes.... now how about in game footage instead? So I can see what it looks like and slightly how it plays?  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Apr 5, 2012, 20:45 Kitkoan

The product label looks like its a signal flare for those wondering.  

News Comments > March April Foolin' 2012 - Part 1
8. Re: April Foolin' 2012 - Part 1 Mar 30, 2012, 21:55 Kitkoan

Beamer wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 14:48:
I'm in the "this was funny 10 years ago but few seem to do it well these days" camp, but man, a dragons vs WWII game? I want that! It isn't funny to tease something awesome!

Maybe something like that game Dino D Day?

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 28, 2012, 20:11 Kitkoan

Dades wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 17:41:
Blackberry or iphone? I'm betting iphone.

Its not an iPhone. Whenever its an iDevice involved, the news article makes sure it has to be mentioned it was an iDevice. Anything not apple made is just offhandedly refereed to by a generic name.

News Comments > New SimCity Only Playable Online
69. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 20:07 Kitkoan

Pretty much sounds like they are using their version of ubisoft always online drm but trying to give a online function or two to hide that it is exactly that, always online drm. This is one of the reasons I won't buy Diablo 3, always online drm trying to hide as something else. And for the one who suggested just naming it "world of..." doesn't work. You can easily tell when a game was made for offline and online gaming. Changing the name isn't what makes it an online or offline designed game.

And who also suggested that all games are going to be online only and we should just get with the times, I can't hear you over the how many straight weeks that Skyrim, an offline single player only game, has been in the what? To five selling games on Steam?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Microsoft Bans Internal Purchases of Mac and iPad. Mar 21, 2012, 12:42 Kitkoan

wtf_man wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:23:

Obviously their R&D department that reverse engineers stuff should have an exception. I mean, how else would they steal shit from Apple, like they always have?

Apple has stolen a lot more from Microsoft then Microsoft had stolen from Apple. Thing is, Apples fans are VERY vocal when this happens but Microsoft fans are more quiet since this copy is normal from every business.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 16, 2012, 20:17 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 19:57:
Good lord flying in the US is worse than a root canal.

Yeah, because in a root canal the only orifice they want to get into is your mouth...

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2012, 14:46 Kitkoan

Hybrid tablets like the Asus Transformer will easily take over laptops and soon. For the average user a tablet has enough power. The only thing holding them back is a real OS made for a tablet but Microsoft and Ubuntu are already finishing this up. As always, its just Apple that is behind in the times in tech. But don't worry, Apple will put on some gaudy flashy adds when they finally find out who they will rip off and claim they were first to do it and do it right. Like when they ripped of the Sony Vaio to make the Air, LG Prada to make the iPhone and the Android tablets made in 2009 to make the iPad.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 15, 2012, 02:10 Kitkoan

Only problem wtf_man is that the iPad IS a console. With the DRM baked into the system and only allowed to install and run what the maker allows it, the iPad is the newest gen console. Sure, it can be jailbroken today, but its getting harder to do. And does the same thing as a modded console too.

As for the whole airplay, many Android devices already support HDMI in some form and airplay only works with Apple TV so airplay isn't really all that cracked up unless you also buy Apple TV to match the iPad which really jacks up the price (don't know the price of an Apple TV and the Apple website is down at the moment, seems they are redesigning it) Maybe in the future TV's will have Bluetooth built in and then Android devices could send the signal that way?

As for Tablets being about 1080p, I don't know how much of that is a good thing. Its beyond standard so movies will have borders and as much as people love to claim that means we will start seeing higher res movies/tv shows I'm not seeing that. Most tv channels don't yet support 1080p let alone recording equipment and people/businesses aren't going to throw everything out and buy higher non-standard gear just to support the iPad 3 (and who knows what the real standard will be in the end. Right now it's all in the air.) Until 1080p becomes the default for everything, don't hold your breathe for a higher standard.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Hard Reset: Extended Edition
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Hard Reset: Extended Edition Mar 14, 2012, 01:36 Kitkoan

Since Hard Reset on Steam is $19.99 and this version is $29.99, I'm assuming this means everyone who bought the regular version of Hard Reset doesn't get these bonus and will have to re-buy the game for the 'enhanced' extras?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2012, 18:11 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2012, 17:36:
Jim wrote on Mar 12, 2012, 13:11:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 12, 2012, 10:25:
GMT all the time, everywhere! Screw time zones and DST!

I could live with that.

Ditto. There may have been a time when we needed DST - though I sincerely doubt we ever "needed" it. If that ever was the case it's certainly long past. Time to get rid of it.

If I remember right, DST was for farming issues. With the hour being moved it helped keep time and the sun in more or less same order. IE, the rising of the sun was around the same time and not different times depending on the time of the year.

It's the exact same thing with spring break and summer vacation. Spring break was to help let the family have the kids home to help plant the first crops of the year and the summer break to have the kids home to help manage the crops at the point of when they would be needed most. (Also why different countries have spring/summer break at slightly different times since different areas have different needs in farming).

News Comments > Into the Black
19. Re: Into the Black Mar 7, 2012, 20:40 Kitkoan

A list like this will always be subjective. End of story.

One reason is because a lot of people (here too) will want to claim Half-Life as one of the best PC games ever. Where I personally felt it was down right horrible and wanted my money back. But its all subjective. (I felt Half-Life had no more story line then Doom. I had already played Strife which was a FPS with a real story line so to me telling me Half-Life one had an amazing story is just an insult. But to each their own.)

News Comments > Baldurs [sic] Gate Teaser Trailer
1. Re: Baldur's [sic] Gate Teaser Trailer Feb 29, 2012, 21:42 Kitkoan

I'm betting this is a fake. At the 1:00 mark it shows the title of it being Baldurs Gate, and not Baldur's Gate.

These companies tend to make sure of these spelling/grammar issues for legal and professional reasons and this mistakes makes me call fake.

News Comments > "Major" Assassin's Creed Announcement Nears
3. Re: Feb 29, 2012, 21:36 Kitkoan

Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 21:30:
Ten bucks says movie.

Doubt it would be a movie, would love to take that bet.

My money is on either a new game, collection pack of the old ones in one package.

2. Re: Why Mercedes Benz Picked Apple's Siri to Power 'Drive Kit Plus' Feb 29, 2012, 00:18 Kitkoan

^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 10:20:
I'll take "money,' for $1000, Alex.

^D^

My votes the same. It wasn't because Siri was better because even Steve Woz of Apple, who has reason to favor Siri over Android, admitted a few months ago that Siri just isn't as good as Androids version

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Tease
18. Re: Baldur's Gate Tease Feb 29, 2012, 00:16 Kitkoan

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 23:57:
Techie714 wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 22:51:
Who owns this IP? I thought Bioware still did? WOW that would be something if we got a new Baldurs Gate!!!

Atari/Infograms currently holds the D&D license last I checked.

They do, and they were talking about reviving this game for a while.
Link

677 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo