Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kitkoan

Real Name Kitkoan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kitkoan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2010, 04:28
Total Comments 669 (Apprentice)
User ID 56087

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
10. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 5, 2014, 00:51 Kitkoan

I find myself quite productive with my Nexus 10 (wouldn't suggest it now due to it being over a year old and still same price... needs a refresh). I have a bluetooth keyboard and apps like AIDE and Sand IDE to program with.

The Samsung normal tablets I'm not for due to all the bloatware, but... CyanogenMOD? Does it work with those touch sensitive pens? Would be tempted for that if they work as well...

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Year's Eve Metaverse
6. Re: New Year's Eve Metaverse Dec 31, 2013, 20:58 Kitkoan

nin wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 19:34:
And not everyone knows about that option.

Exactly why I pointed it out...

And still not everyone will know about that option. Netflix viewers don't come to Blues News to learn about things like that.

Now advertising that you have an option for something like that, thats different and will help more people learn about such an option. (and what is being mentioned here).

News Comments > New Year's Eve Metaverse
4. Re: New Year's Eve Metaverse Dec 31, 2013, 16:46 Kitkoan

nin wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 12:56:
Tumbler wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 12:22:
The netflix SD only streaming is actually a great idea considering bandwidth caps some people have. I don't worry about my bandwidth at home each month but I'm using it a lot more with every passing month. If my cap was low enough I might want the sd only streaming package.

You can set which stream is preferred in the options.

True but if your going to be setting the stream to SD only, might as well save a dollar. And not everyone knows about that option.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 30, 2013, 23:51 Kitkoan

Ceribaen wrote on Dec 30, 2013, 18:27:
It's occasionally on sale on Google Play for <10. My biggest issue with the SE games is that several of them have had an always online requirement to load/play - and it's never clear if they do or not. And in the past they even had a root check (which I think is since removed). So those two things have kept me from buying any SE games no matter how much I wanted them.

Not to mention that the new series, Choas Rings, has reports from people of the app verifying it's files every time it loads... to the tune of 5-10 minutes and more.

CHAOS RINGS &#937;
CHAOS RINGS
CHAOS RINGS II

No idea what it's really checking for. My guess to go through itself to make sure it's not pirated.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
25. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 28, 2013, 22:48 Kitkoan

Axis wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 19:20:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 17:01:
Axis wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 16:22:
It's just the standard cycle of fads. Everything new has a honeymoon period where its the greatest thing ever, then it's used and used until they're finally sick, bored or disenchanted with it -- people then proclaim a myriad of excuses as to why it's no longer the greatest thing ever for a need to explain off their initial unbridled enthusiasm when in fact human nature has already provided the reason.

Yo Axis. When you going to post a jpg for your avatar?

I suppose I should, what do you propose JD? And don't say a giant troll with a dicknose cause I'll do it I swear!! ")

How about a dicknose with a giant troll?

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 22, 2013, 18:23 Kitkoan

Bill Borre wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 16:57:
GPS device insertions make Baby Jesus cry.

Guess it would depend where it was inserted...

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
14. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 21, 2013, 23:47 Kitkoan

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 18:43:
The Mac Pro is just a ridiculously overpriced PC. Can't imagine trying to transport something round ever, just a dumb design with zero advantage. A 12 core processor, well unless you are running apps that actually will use such and there are not many of them outside the scientific community. Again ridiculous. A friend has a system with a top end I7, 3 graphic cards, and a big solid state disc, less than 5k and it will blow the doors off the Mac Pro. Not much of an Apple fan when it comes to PC's since they are extremely overpriced and flat out badly designed.

The article is also horrible in how they done the whole Mac pro listing. As mentioned in said article, the CPU and gpu aren't really known so he guessed based on specs. Which isn't a very good comparisons and can be easily wrong in real power. Until the mac pro can be really pulled apart and seen what it really is part for part, such articles are meaningless and more just bait for clicks.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 21, 2013, 23:36 Kitkoan

killer_roach wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 19:25:
Ozmodan wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 18:30:
The Vita is a piece of junk. Buy a pad, far superior and a lot greater variety of games. Can't believe there are so many stupid people out there.

Far superior? The Vita has the same GPU as the iPad 4 and arguably still a better CPU than the iPad Air (although Apple has done quite a bit in terms of masking that by offloading tasks to the GPU and doing heavy optimizations on its Web browser). Smaller, lower-resolution display, sure, but one's a two-year-old piece of hardware that sells for $189 and the other starts at $399 (and lacks discrete input or removable, expandable storage).

Also, point out to me one iPad game on the level (in both scope or production value) of, say, Persona 4, Soul Sacrifice, or Dragon's Crown. You have a large, wide variety on the iPad... of largely shallow, disposable games.

While I can't say for the ipad, on my Nexus 10 I can just run emulators with a ps3 controller. Lots of games there

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2013, 22:17 Kitkoan

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 22:03:
I can't see what the Mac Pro does on a technical level that makes it superior to the computing performance of, say, a Dell Precision or HP Z820 when used as an actual professional workstation that would necessitate the use of a multicore Xeon.

It just seems like a vastly overpriced object d'art for the tasteless to circle jerk over.

It's for those that use OSX, due to preference or need.

Like Pixer would need these since all their custom software is no doubt OSX based (they were owned by Steve Jobs) and the cost and time to rewrite all of those into either Windows or Linux would out weigh the price of this machine.

Beyond that, I agree with you.

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2013, 22:00 Kitkoan

Quboid wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 21:35:
WaltC wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 15:11:
Quboid wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 13:57:
That Mac Pro was assembled in the USA. Cutter, how many of the manufacturers you buy from can even say that?

Assembled in the USA--made in China. (You forgot about that, I guess.) Every Windows computer in my home since 1995 has been assembled in the USA--assembled by me, personally, as I cherry-pick the hardware components and order them separately and "assemble" them myself. Assembling is one thing, manufacturing a component is quite another, isn't it?

(Man, the RDF is really deep in this thread...;) Keep it coming guys, always entertaining!)

I didn't forget anything, I simply pointed out that it's not entirely done outside the US. Nothing else.

The main point was how ridiculous Cutter's criticism of Apple appears to be. Unless he's made sure none of his possessions are also made outside the US, it's getting hypocritical to bang on about it so much.

I thought he was joking at first, now I think it's only about 50% joking at most. His largely incoherent ramble doesn't clear that up; Cutter, seriously, what? Do you own a phone? Who made it? Who made your mouse? Who made your monitor?

Not to feed the fire and all, but Cutter does have a somewhat point.

Apple gets a lot of tax cuts from the US government for its retail stores. It gets waivers in court bans. And other tax cuts from beyond their retail shops.

And for this apple has declared they will not return jobs back to the US, and have invested billions in China's future in the form of robotic designs. Money that could have helped the US but apple would prefer to spend in China and it's future (link )

And as that article States, they are now using their China investments to remove more us retail jobs (iPhone fixing machine) with Chinese developed, Chinese made machines. Which is also what I think is happening with the assembled in the USA machines since it's more then a quick job so it qualifies as assembled in the USA but is fully automated removing the US jobs it could have created.

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2013, 21:14 Kitkoan

Orogogus wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 19:35:
Kitkoan wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 19:10:
nin wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 15:28:
That Mac Pro was assembled in the USA. Cutter, how many of the manufacturers you buy from can even say that?

Assembled in the USA--made in China. (You forgot about that, I guess.)

No. He was referring to the fact that it at least contained some US labor, compared to any other number of companies that have none at all.

If I remember correctly, there is zero US labor involved in something like this that's "assembled in the USA".

It'd fully automated machines that are design, build and maintain by Chinese employees on cheap visas. It's all marketing to help people think they are bringing jobs back to USA, even though they aren't.

There are rules governing this, and you're not allowed to say "assembled in the USA" -- which Apple has said, in so many words -- for basic repackaging operations.

http://www.business.ftc.gov/documents/bus03-complying-made-usa-standard

Assembled in USA Claims

A product that includes foreign components may be called "Assembled in USA" without qualification when its principal assembly takes place in the U.S. and the assembly is substantial. For the "assembly" claim to be valid, the productís last "substantial transformation" also should have occurred in the U.S. Thatís why a "screwdriver" assembly in the U.S. of foreign components into a final product at the end of the manufacturing process doesnít usually qualify for the "Assembled in USA" claim.

Example: A lawn mower, composed of all domestic parts except for the cable sheathing, flywheel, wheel rims and air filter (15 to 20 percent foreign content) is assembled in the U.S. An "Assembled in USA" claim is appropriate.

Example: All the major components of a computer, including the motherboard and hard drive, are imported. The computerís components then are put together in a simple "screwdriver" operation in the U.S., are not substantially transformed under the Customs Standard, and must be marked with a foreign country of origin. An "Assembled in U.S." claim without further qualification is deceptive.

In any case, I don't understand why you guys, including several forum regulars, are engaging Cutter on this. This isn't going to be a frank exchange of ideas. What do you see as the endpoint other than name-calling and insults?

That says nothing about who performs the labor, just that the labor has to be more then a basic one set of moves which these machines do. It has many steps to put together, they are just all computer controlled

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2013, 19:10 Kitkoan

nin wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 15:28:

Assembled in the USA--made in China. (You forgot about that, I guess.)

No. He was referring to the fact that it at least contained some US labor, compared to any other number of companies that have none at all.

If I remember correctly, there is zero US labor involved in something like this that's "assembled in the USA".

It'd fully automated machines that are design, build and maintain by Chinese employees on cheap visas. It's all marketing to help people think they are bringing jobs back to USA, even though they aren't.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 19, 2013, 16:26 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 21:03:
When I was a kid I did steal a car - a Mercedes at that! And it was all fun and games till we got busted, haha! I still love Maude's rationale for stealing cars in Harold and Maude. 100 points to whoever can tell me what that was!

"here today, gone tomorrow"---don't get attached to things

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Re: Evening Previews Dec 17, 2013, 19:59 Kitkoan

So amazing, it had to be posted twice  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Link Dec 9, 2013, 18:39 Kitkoan

Hey Blue, just a minor heads up. Your link to the 5 Animal Rights Campaigns That Managed to Screw Over Animals is linked to the second page. Here is a link to the first page  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 9, 2013, 18:34 Kitkoan

And this is why sites like Hotfile aren't fighting against the MPAA/RIAA. There is no law or justice or even a fair trial to be had. They've lost before they started. Cheaper and easier to just settle because no matter what, they have to shut down.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Nov 17, 2013, 15:43 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 14:15:
I just buy my phones unlocked to begin with.

With you on this. Bought my newest one unlocked and plan on doing that more often so if my carrier decides to screw me over, I can just up and change on my call and be pay as you go.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
11. Re: Op Ed Nov 17, 2013, 15:41 Kitkoan

On a random note, the PS4 controller is a re-mapped PS3 controller for the most part with a couple of extra buttons. This means that if your device can read a PS3 controller, it can read a PS4 one.

Plugged a PS4 controller into my Nexus 10, kicked up the ePSXe emulator and went to re-map the keys (just in case). It declared it was a full PS3 DS controller, but remapping keys had a few odd results. The "Share" button is seen as the controllers L1 key, "Start" is R2, L1 on the controller is seen as L2, and the L-Trigger is a whole new key that isn't mapped to anything on the PS3 controller (I think it was called "Button 17"?), the I think the rest were fine. I know D-Pad and joysticks were fine, maybe the X,O, Circle and Square where in different locations but all there.

My tablet even recognized the touchpad button, not the touchpad itself though. So 1 extra button on the controller (I made it a "Save State" button myself).

Only odd note, at least for ePSXe was the L2 and R2 on the controller would have a full second of lag, had to go into mapping Player 1, Player 1 map axis, and change the L2 Stick and R2 Stick from whatever it's default is to Native. Then it was fine again.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
11. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 17, 2013, 01:10 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 20:01:
Well even though Jobs was an asshole and I hate Apple's exorbitant prices and walled garden, there's no denying the impact they've had on the industry and changed it for the better. Digital media, UI design, the smartphone, all things Apple blazed the trail on.

Unfortunately, what impact Jobs and Apple had on the industry was harmful, and blant copying of others innovations.

Digital media had more DRM because of Apple, it took Amazon dealing with record labels to remove music DRM (you'll notice the time that Amazon got that hammered out as OK, suddenly Apple declares it had always been their desire. But never a whisper or peep before).

UI design/smartphones came from things like the LG Prada phone, and others like Windows Mobile OS, the first phones made to be used for touch and not a stylus. Jobs was a flashy salesman, but not an innovator.

Even Android was being designed before the iPhone. It was first mentioned (before Google bought them) that Android was made as a smartphone OS in 2003 "Android (www.android.com) has operated under a cloak of secrecy, so little is known about its work... One source familiar with the company says Android had at one point been working on a software operating system for cell phones... In a 2003 interview with BusinessWeek, just two months before incorporating Android, Rubin said there was tremendous potential in developing smarter mobile devices that are more aware of its owner's location and preferences..."

In fact, everything you look for that Apple "invented" or "innovated" you'll find was months in not year(s) after someone else already did it, just Apple had a huge flashy marketing campaign behind it.

News Comments > Steam Box Previews
21. Re: Steam Box Previews Nov 4, 2013, 15:32 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:10:
How about getting the client up to date first? Remove the bloat, streamline it, make it faster, an offline mode that works, etc.

What bloat do you mean exactly? Personally it seems that it's been getting fine-tuned lately, scrolling seems a lot smoother as does the loading of game tile images.

And I'm pretty sure offline mode works now, did like 2-3 months ago when I had no internet and when it offered to re-load in offline mode it did it without a problem, no internet required to do that.

669 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo