Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kitkoan

Real Name Kitkoan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kitkoan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2010, 04:28
Total Comments 671 (Apprentice)
User ID 56087

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 16, 2012, 18:53 Kitkoan

Isn't that around the time all the major ISP's become the MPAA's bitches and start sending threating letters to people because they think that sometime, somehow they might just have downloaded something they shouldn't have? And it doesn't matter what the person says, they are guilty and never proven otherwise?  

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 16, 2012, 00:09 Kitkoan

Amazon Kindle Fire's haven't plunged off a cliff. From what I've read here,seems bloggers and others mis-understood what the information presented was really meaning.  

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm "99% Done"
13. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 00:04 Kitkoan

Yifes wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 22:32:
Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 22:27:
I might be interested, but it depends very heavily on the price. Anything over 20 bucks and they can go fuck themselves.

Creston

Blizzard has never priced their expansions at $20.

Blizzard also said that each one was going to be its own game, not an expansion so no doubt will be full priced. The price tag is for the campaign.

On a different note, my guess is the last 1% needed to finish is how to shoe-horn Diablo 3's always online DRM into this. And why wouldn't they? Did it with Diablo 3 and the customers loved it so much, they voted with their wallets and made Diablo 3 the best selling game of May. This tells Blizzard that people love always online DRM the most

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 15, 2012, 22:00 Kitkoan

nin wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 16:33:
Wesp5 wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 16:26:
Maybe I have already said this before, but why is it that we get news here for simple iPhone apps and almost none for Android? Is someone a hard-core Apple fan or what?

No one sends in android links for Blue to run?

Doesn't many people send in all these itunes links? I'm seriously asking. Or does Blue have a feed that shows him the newest iphone games? If yes then he could always just peek at http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news to see the newest Android games

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: New Internet Explorer 7 Tax Jun 15, 2012, 16:21 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 15:11:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 11:03:
Ha! Now that is freaking funny.
No tax for IE 6? It's got more than double the number of users.

But this is a good idea. I think that we'll start charging our customers for IE 6 & 7 bugs if they report them, instead of just fixing them for free like we usually do.

So punish IE users who still use a perfectly good computer that's just too slow to use a more modern browser?
The "buy a newer computer or pay more" tax?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 14, 2012, 12:00 Kitkoan

nin wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 11:32:
CommunistHamster wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 10:47:
The very existence of a "karma system" on reddit is censorship, leading to self-censorship and groupthink.

Your posting name added an additional giggle, as I read your comment.

But yeah...like anything, if used correctly (to downrate comments that don't apply, or are spam, or trolling), it works. But they can also be used to downrate comments that may be perfectly valid, but certain people don't agree with.

Notice Blue doesn't have that here.

Doesn't work like that in the end.

May I show you exhibit a). Slashdot?

On the article though, eh. Never really cared about reddit. Everytime I've looked at anything on it, it just feels like a page of spoilt children screaming for attention at what they have and you don't and just general demanding attention for the sake of attention. While I'm guessing not everyone feels this way, its all I've ever gotten the feeling of.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 14, 2012, 05:41 Kitkoan

Sepharo wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 02:01:
It's for South Korea. I doubt we'll ever see it in the west.

According to a comment there, South Korea already has a popular non-facebook social site.

http://www.daum.net/ if your curious, if I remember right.

*edit* saw the comment, new one to me. I'm pretty sure that daum.net is similar though

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2012, 05:51.

News Comments > Evening Previews
11. Re: Evening Previews Jun 8, 2012, 03:22 Kitkoan

Illumin wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 00:13:
This sucks hate having a day off to play D3 only to find out the servers will be down for maintenance, pisses me off.
This trend is the 2nd worst thing that's ever happened to gaming. #1 being when they stopped letting you take a shitty game back for a refund.

Don't worry, with every purchase of D3, including those made after the release date, it has helped push this as the future of gaming. D3 has sold amazing amounts of units, millions, and the hard numbers tell publishers one thing. The customer like this. No, they love this. And its a publishers wet dream come true. Always online DRM that the customer loves so much they have pushed it to be the biggest selling PC game in history, even after it was found out for all the negatives involved.

Welcome to the future of gaming.

News Comments > FTL Closed Beta This Month
1. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 7, 2012, 20:20 Kitkoan

Am I the only one who saw the title and thought that FTL meant For The Loss, the opposite of FTW For the Win?  

News Comments > Linux Steam Client This Year?
21. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 16:22 Kitkoan

yuastnav wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 16:16:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 16:03:
yuastnav wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 13:09:
That does not really make any sense. Linux was never an alternative to Windows in the first place. If anything then Linux was an alternative to UNIX because it was built as a UNIX-like system but with the additional plus point that it was completely free; I am not really sure what you are talking about because Linux is more than able to stand on its own, thank you very much.
What does any of that have to do with the point I made? My point was about how Linux has failed to become a credible alternative to Windows. It isn't as user friendly, as visually pleasing or as capable as Windows, especially when it comes to gaming. You can compare it to UNIX all you want but that's like comparing a leper to an Ebola victim - both have their own merits (oh look, which body part is going to fall off next?) but most people prefer to be healthy (Windows).

yuastnav wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 13:09:
It even sounds kind of condescending on your part because "Linux is an alternative but it does not live up to my standards etc".
It was meant to be. Microsoft stagnated with XP, faltered with Vista, barely changed much with 7 and now 8 is coming along and is forcing its radically different interface on people, yet still Linux has failed to get anywhere amongst consumers. The UI still looks like it was designed by a competition at a special needs school and even though it's free people don't have any interest in it.

It's great that Linux is now able to browse web pages and watch videos on YouTube. Now it needs to do the hard stuff - have a decent UI, support games and be user friendly.

I am sorry but it looks like you have no clue what you are talking about. You do realize that Linux is actually just a kernel, right? It has no such thing as a UI and what not.
So you want to talk about a UI, okay. Are you talking about a specific software? Are you talking about KDE, Gnome, e16/17, Fluxbox?
Are you talking about the specific interface that you have with your operating system? Be more specific, please, your simplistic views will not get you very far here.

And what do you mean "it has failed to get anywhere amongst consumers"? Among which consumers? Obviously most of the people that are consumers of Linux like it and use it and the same thing applies to Windows, Mac and any other operating system.

Although it's actually pointless talking to you because if you use such analogies as "Windows is healthy" and "Linux is a disease" then it's clearly that you have made up your mind and just trolling around.

Hehe, obvious troll is obvious? I noticed that too. Just a rehash of the same BS that shows they've never touched a Linux box before but would love to down talk it. Next thing is he will say he has and then talk about things that don't really happen ("I did use *most likely the newest version of Ubuntu here*. It was horrible how the status bar on the bottom kept jumping up with random warning boxes that would cover the screen and I couldn't get them to go away..."

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta This Weekend
15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta This Weekend Jun 6, 2012, 16:17 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 15:58:
Kitkoan wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 15:20:
With so many of us on the beta, should we try to meet in game and see what its like to travel and play with others in a party/group beyond the whole basic coop? (somehow, haven't tried to do this with the beta yet)
Would be fun to see what the differences are

I'll post my chars in OOTB on Friday. I'm on Tarnished Coast, so yeah I'm down with some grouping if anyone is into it. I have a 20 ranger and a 10'ish Mesmer atm. Whilst ranger pets still need a lot of love Mesmer's are hella fun to play so far.

I don't remember where I was at, and I have a Elementalist that I can't remember its level either (I worked a lot that weekend, only got some time in) but it sounds like fun all in all

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta This Weekend
12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta This Weekend Jun 6, 2012, 15:20 Kitkoan

With so many of us on the beta, should we try to meet in game and see what its like to travel and play with others in a party/group beyond the whole basic coop? (somehow, haven't tried to do this with the beta yet)
Would be fun to see what the differences are

News Comments > Linux Steam Client This Year?
17. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 15:16 Kitkoan

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 12:56:

It still both surprises and annoys me that Linux has failed to become a credible alternative to Windows despite the lack of innovation in the Windows franchise. You'd think there must be some dedicated enough programmers with vision - or people that could work together to the same effect - to do something. There are some great concepts out there.

I can tell you why.

Marketing.

Yes, its something people don't want to think about, how marketing can sway them but it does. A lot. Marketing brings to the consumer brand recognition and with brand recognition comes brand awareness and trust. Its what sells things first and foremost, the product itself comes in a distance second. This is why things like the iOS sold so well, it had massive ad campaigns (beyond their attempts at marketing OSX). Its what also sold Android. Android wasn't a hugely sought after phone OS by the public until the "What iDon't, Droid does" commercials.

Another thing that hurts Linux is its price. Or lack of. For most people, the higher the price = the higher quality the product must be. Designer clothes (many are made beside cheaper no-names, one just gets the designer name. Not all, but many do), medication (Tylenol or the no name brand? They are both the same, contain the exact same ingredients, and work identically but people will swear by Tylenol, the name they have heard many times over the no name. Even going as far as having a placebo effect of "it works better then the cheaper one"), designer tech (same as the clothes). Linux is free, so to many people free obviously means is no where near as good as the high priced products.

If many of the bigger players got together and marketed their version of Linux (say they got behind Ubuntu and marketed that off) suddenly you would notice that more people would use Ubuntu(Linux) because they are suddenly more aware of it and its "brand". And it would be an equal competitor to Windows.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
14. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 13:55 Kitkoan

Beamer wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 08:33:
How the hell does only Cutter understand the definition of "sexisim?"

Sometimes you guys baffle me. It's like you're stuck in the 1960s or something. For being so ahead technologically you're painfully backwards socially.

sexism - noun

definition

1. attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles.

2. The belief that one sex (usually the male) is naturally superior to the other and should dominate most important areas of political, economic, and social life. Sexist discrimination in the United States in the past has denied opportunities to women in many spheres of activity. Many allege that it still does. ( See also affirmative action, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, glass ceiling, and National Organization for Women.)

----

You've confused objectification with sexism by the sounds of it.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 3, 2012, 02:38 Kitkoan

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 14:01:
Mhh I guess you are both right.... To focus the media blowout this event serves well and to mainstream press as well.. but for gamers wouldn't it be better if we actually GET TO PLAY THE DEMO stuff instead of just see coverage of someone else playing?

It would be possibly nowadays. Why is it not done?

Because a demo would be a honest review that can't lie to the public and get money for a shoddy game from the paying public.

You can buy off media coverage (threaten to remove your ad dollars).

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Confirmed
8. Re: Dead Space 3 Confirmed Jun 1, 2012, 21:24 Kitkoan

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 19:59:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 18:39:
Verno wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 15:32:
it totally ruins the element of isolation which provides a lot of the tension in the first place.
Yeah the leaked shots make it look like a straight up action game. The characters look less like engineers and much more like soldiers.

And I would argue that fits just fine into the storyline and character progression of Isaac Clarke... After so much time spent shootin' monsters of all shapes and sizes, he'd better be carrying himself more like a badass soldier than a timid technician.

I admit I have only played the first one, but if the second one is similar then I would think the opposite. I would think he would be more timid and starting to show signs of a mild form of schizophrenia. Sure he survived but like many whom were drafted/thrown into wars and not prepared better for it with things like training for a while, it takes a huge mental toll. Those people don't come out thinking themselves all high and mighty like a badass soldier.

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks
27. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks May 31, 2012, 21:09 Kitkoan

Mad Max RW wrote on May 31, 2012, 18:20:
Didn't the developers admit this was a straight up console port or am I thinking of something else?

From what I'm understanding from this article its going to be a direct port.

Graphically, the PC edition is unfortunately not going to go high-definition

And its noted on other sites that no one is sure about if it will be sold through Steam but still need GFWL. I'm thinking it will be exactly that though since they have already spent the time and money on using GFWL for its online functions and they aren't likely to bother re-doing it for Steam and on top of that having the online communities fragmented like that. Too much time, money and possible back fire.

Oh well, like many gamers I won't bother if its a GFWL. Like many things, it sounds great on paper, but not in practice.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse May 31, 2012, 02:11 Kitkoan

MisterBenn wrote on May 30, 2012, 21:12:
Regarding our web addiction - I was expecting a photo of a pallid Jabba the Hut with keyboard and headset rather than a bar chart!

More like something like this.

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced
48. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 30, 2012, 16:29 Kitkoan

It will be on Windows, at least according to their tweet. Think I will get it, depending of course on it's DRM.

While many people seemed to hate Doom 3, I thought it was a nice breath of fresh air/shift back to what made FPS's popular. It was a nice FPS that wasn't:
a) Call of Battlefield: Yet another rendering of WW2
b) Wasn't you and a bunch of AI "allies" you needed to keep alive even though they were completely suicidal
c) Away from the early 2000's FPS model of nothing, nothing, army, nothing, nothing, army (like Serious Sam, etc...)
It had enemies nicely spaced out, secrets, more then 2 weapons at a time and no stupid team mates to keep alive.

While it did lack in ways from the first two, it felt a lot better then other FPS's at the time.

News Comments > CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced
7. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 30, 2012, 16:18 Kitkoan

Been a big fan of Cyberpunk since the mid-nineties, gaming has just been getting better and better these days.

Must buy this when it comes out on GoG

671 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo