Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kitkoan

Real Name Kitkoan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kitkoan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2010, 04:28
Total Comments 641 (Apprentice)
User ID 56087

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta This Weekend
15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta This Weekend Jun 6, 2012, 16:17 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 15:58:
Kitkoan wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 15:20:
With so many of us on the beta, should we try to meet in game and see what its like to travel and play with others in a party/group beyond the whole basic coop? (somehow, haven't tried to do this with the beta yet)
Would be fun to see what the differences are

I'll post my chars in OOTB on Friday. I'm on Tarnished Coast, so yeah I'm down with some grouping if anyone is into it. I have a 20 ranger and a 10'ish Mesmer atm. Whilst ranger pets still need a lot of love Mesmer's are hella fun to play so far.

I don't remember where I was at, and I have a Elementalist that I can't remember its level either (I worked a lot that weekend, only got some time in) but it sounds like fun all in all

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta This Weekend
12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta This Weekend Jun 6, 2012, 15:20 Kitkoan

With so many of us on the beta, should we try to meet in game and see what its like to travel and play with others in a party/group beyond the whole basic coop? (somehow, haven't tried to do this with the beta yet)
Would be fun to see what the differences are

News Comments > Linux Steam Client This Year?
17. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 15:16 Kitkoan

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 12:56:

It still both surprises and annoys me that Linux has failed to become a credible alternative to Windows despite the lack of innovation in the Windows franchise. You'd think there must be some dedicated enough programmers with vision - or people that could work together to the same effect - to do something. There are some great concepts out there.

I can tell you why.

Marketing.

Yes, its something people don't want to think about, how marketing can sway them but it does. A lot. Marketing brings to the consumer brand recognition and with brand recognition comes brand awareness and trust. Its what sells things first and foremost, the product itself comes in a distance second. This is why things like the iOS sold so well, it had massive ad campaigns (beyond their attempts at marketing OSX). Its what also sold Android. Android wasn't a hugely sought after phone OS by the public until the "What iDon't, Droid does" commercials.

Another thing that hurts Linux is its price. Or lack of. For most people, the higher the price = the higher quality the product must be. Designer clothes (many are made beside cheaper no-names, one just gets the designer name. Not all, but many do), medication (Tylenol or the no name brand? They are both the same, contain the exact same ingredients, and work identically but people will swear by Tylenol, the name they have heard many times over the no name. Even going as far as having a placebo effect of "it works better then the cheaper one"), designer tech (same as the clothes). Linux is free, so to many people free obviously means is no where near as good as the high priced products.

If many of the bigger players got together and marketed their version of Linux (say they got behind Ubuntu and marketed that off) suddenly you would notice that more people would use Ubuntu(Linux) because they are suddenly more aware of it and its "brand". And it would be an equal competitor to Windows.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
14. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 13:55 Kitkoan

Beamer wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 08:33:
How the hell does only Cutter understand the definition of "sexisim?"

Sometimes you guys baffle me. It's like you're stuck in the 1960s or something. For being so ahead technologically you're painfully backwards socially.

sexism - noun

definition

1. attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles.

2. The belief that one sex (usually the male) is naturally superior to the other and should dominate most important areas of political, economic, and social life. Sexist discrimination in the United States in the past has denied opportunities to women in many spheres of activity. Many allege that it still does. ( See also affirmative action, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, glass ceiling, and National Organization for Women.)

----

You've confused objectification with sexism by the sounds of it.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 3, 2012, 02:38 Kitkoan

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 14:01:
Mhh I guess you are both right.... To focus the media blowout this event serves well and to mainstream press as well.. but for gamers wouldn't it be better if we actually GET TO PLAY THE DEMO stuff instead of just see coverage of someone else playing?

It would be possibly nowadays. Why is it not done?

Because a demo would be a honest review that can't lie to the public and get money for a shoddy game from the paying public.

You can buy off media coverage (threaten to remove your ad dollars).

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Confirmed
8. Re: Dead Space 3 Confirmed Jun 1, 2012, 21:24 Kitkoan

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 19:59:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 18:39:
Verno wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 15:32:
it totally ruins the element of isolation which provides a lot of the tension in the first place.
Yeah the leaked shots make it look like a straight up action game. The characters look less like engineers and much more like soldiers.

And I would argue that fits just fine into the storyline and character progression of Isaac Clarke... After so much time spent shootin' monsters of all shapes and sizes, he'd better be carrying himself more like a badass soldier than a timid technician.

I admit I have only played the first one, but if the second one is similar then I would think the opposite. I would think he would be more timid and starting to show signs of a mild form of schizophrenia. Sure he survived but like many whom were drafted/thrown into wars and not prepared better for it with things like training for a while, it takes a huge mental toll. Those people don't come out thinking themselves all high and mighty like a badass soldier.

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks
27. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks May 31, 2012, 21:09 Kitkoan

Mad Max RW wrote on May 31, 2012, 18:20:
Didn't the developers admit this was a straight up console port or am I thinking of something else?

From what I'm understanding from this article its going to be a direct port.

Graphically, the PC edition is unfortunately not going to go high-definition

And its noted on other sites that no one is sure about if it will be sold through Steam but still need GFWL. I'm thinking it will be exactly that though since they have already spent the time and money on using GFWL for its online functions and they aren't likely to bother re-doing it for Steam and on top of that having the online communities fragmented like that. Too much time, money and possible back fire.

Oh well, like many gamers I won't bother if its a GFWL. Like many things, it sounds great on paper, but not in practice.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse May 31, 2012, 02:11 Kitkoan

MisterBenn wrote on May 30, 2012, 21:12:
Regarding our web addiction - I was expecting a photo of a pallid Jabba the Hut with keyboard and headset rather than a bar chart!

More like something like this.

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced
48. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 30, 2012, 16:29 Kitkoan

It will be on Windows, at least according to their tweet. Think I will get it, depending of course on it's DRM.

While many people seemed to hate Doom 3, I thought it was a nice breath of fresh air/shift back to what made FPS's popular. It was a nice FPS that wasn't:
a) Call of Battlefield: Yet another rendering of WW2
b) Wasn't you and a bunch of AI "allies" you needed to keep alive even though they were completely suicidal
c) Away from the early 2000's FPS model of nothing, nothing, army, nothing, nothing, army (like Serious Sam, etc...)
It had enemies nicely spaced out, secrets, more then 2 weapons at a time and no stupid team mates to keep alive.

While it did lack in ways from the first two, it felt a lot better then other FPS's at the time.

News Comments > CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced
7. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 30, 2012, 16:18 Kitkoan

Been a big fan of Cyberpunk since the mid-nineties, gaming has just been getting better and better these days.

Must buy this when it comes out on GoG

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2012, 18:55 Kitkoan

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 29, 2012, 15:23:
Blue wrote on May 29, 2012, 13:04:
netnerd85 wrote on May 29, 2012, 12:54:
90F is 32C, that's not hot...

It's not the heat, it's the humidity.

Don't blame me... you forced my hand.

It's a dry heat....

But it's a dry heat...

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2012, 17:51 Kitkoan

Random bit of random guys.

Since this is a gaming site and all, there is a huge game sale at http://www.becausewemay.com/ called the "Because We May"... big surprise considering the url...

Long story short, its selling indie games for cheap (or drawing attention to others like the ones on Android). It has games for Android, Steam, Direct (a combo of Windows/Linux/OSX), Other (other online stores, same as Direct though, combo OS's), OSX and iOS. Most of the games are 50% off or more. And for the Android (and I'm guessing iOS), its sales on games on their app store so the can be kept up to date with normal functions (unlike the Humble Bundle that needed an extra app).

And if your more interested in the long story, you can read it as Ars

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed May 28, 2012, 23:05 Kitkoan

Jerykk wrote on May 28, 2012, 22:33:

True, but that's assuming that this becomes a standard practice. Diablo 3 got away with it because it's Diablo 3. Very few other brands hold such strength in the PC market. Ubisoft tried it with multiple brands and utterly failed, causing them to eventually revoke the online-only requirement. I'd be surprised if any non-Blizzard game could get away with the same DRM scheme, especially after the issues that people encountered (and are still encountering) since D3's launch.

Diablo 3 got away with it not because it was Diablo 3. It's because "it isn't DRM, its a social function". The thing that Ubisoft didn't try.

Or in another way. Its like Steam. "Its not DRM, its a all-in-one patch-updater, trophy system, in-game web browser and friend service." Its all in how you sell it.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Microsoft Plagued by Software Piracy May 28, 2012, 00:23 Kitkoan

Fantaz wrote on May 27, 2012, 23:16:
You get a new PC and you either have enough money to afford Windows or you don't...

Unless your buying a Mac or a custom build, you get a new PC and you get a copy of Windows already on it last I checked.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 28, 2012, 00:21 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on May 27, 2012, 22:10:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 27, 2012, 17:08:
Only in Quebec would they pass a law for a law that already exists. It's call the riot act.

Like the rest of Canada I'm so sick of Quebec. Time to deport their lazy ases back to France.

Hehe, makes me think of that one joke oddly enough.

I got a map of Canada tattooed on my ass, but on this map Quebec really does separate.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
11. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 00:19 Kitkoan

Fantaz wrote on May 27, 2012, 23:23:
entr0py wrote on May 27, 2012, 23:13:
Nintendo is in a tough spot since they do not have the sort of massive corporate empire that would allow them to sell consoles at a loss like Sony and Microsoft. It seems like a smart play for them to take advantage of the one year window where they can sell an affordable console that's more powerful than the aging competition. But I don't know if that one year is going to be enough.

I think M. Pachter says that they have enough Pokemon money to only last them for another 5 years. We don't think Wii U will do that well... if Nintendo knew this, they should've already started pre-E3 hype instead of probably working towards doing some press conference surprises (which I even don't think there will be anything major to begin with). There's no 3rd party developers that I've heard of making any really good Wii U games right now, and that's a problem even during this window with a 1 year lead before PS4/720

After the Wii, I think Nintendo might have a problem with attracting 3rd party developers. If I remember right, a whole bunch of developers in the beginning jumped all over the Wii and made it look like it was going to be the winner of this generation of consoles. After a little while it was noticed that the only games that really sold on the Wii were the ones made by Nintendo themselves.

If my memory is correct and thats what happened, then 3rd parties will be more cautious this time around.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 25, 2012, 20:22 Kitkoan

Prez wrote on May 25, 2012, 19:48:
The fact that Zynga and GREE are going to be there is reflective of a show that is very much relevant.

Relevant to somebody maybe, but not to me.

Its more relevant to you then you might think.

These are both mobile gaming companies talking/hoping to sway at a video game show. The big thing you need to keep in mind is that the big companies have been demanding a few things of the next generation of consoles.

a) DRM built in, that can be kept up with upgrades
b) Account, downloadable only options. So no more used-game sales
c) A wider audience

In short, they want the iOS console. It has built in DRM that is upgraded often to get rid of the newest DRM-cracks. And with Apple still trying to make sure that jailbreaking will become illegal again, the other big players will no doubt help with that push.

App store doesn't allow to sell used games. You pay their price, thats it. And its been shown before that you pretty much need to work close to Apple to be on the front page/feature of the App Store or you really don't sell any games, again something the big players won't have a challenge making sure its their games only shown helping them keep high prices on their games and "hide" competition. Like the XBox360 market, sure their is the cheaper indie market, but $60 games still sell more, a lot more.

And a wider audience. iOS has access to the casual players, much more then video game consoles. So you could sell both hardcore and casual games to the same group of users, and most people don't feel as akward/geeky pulling out a smartphone to play a game in public as they do with something like the PSP.

Welcome to tomorrows console. The next step. As consoles have grown to do more then play games (PSX could play video cds and audio cds, PS2 DVDs, XBox mp3s, XBox360/PS3 surf the web and stream video), it was only time tell they would go for a wider range console that still offered them what they wanted. DRM to let them control and abuse their customers, the illusion of choice, and an every growing audience that will forget there was ever a time they were able to do what they wanted with their devices.

News Comments > Metro: Last Light Live-Action Movie
10. Re: Metro: Last Light Live-Action Movie May 25, 2012, 19:54 Kitkoan

Marvin T. Martian wrote on May 25, 2012, 16:36:
USA Trailer???
Maybe english subtitles or language would have been nice.

Actual SP in game SP video or link to one would have been nice too.

But if it just another port---no need to purchase.

Subtitles might have been ok, but not language. Metro 2033 was a Russian book and so was based in Russia. It fact, it was one of the things I loved about the game, the Russian accents (even if some where less then stellar).

As for SP, the "20 years later" is in game footage. Not first-person but should help you understand its look

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2012, 17:50 Kitkoan

I just noticed something I feel is kinda funny/kinda odd.

Blue, because of your lower post count, you are considered a lower rank (Veteran) then The Half Elf (Guru), even though this is your site. Surprised you don't have some special rank or something? (aside from your name being highlighted blue)

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2012, 17:47 Kitkoan

Jim wrote on May 24, 2012, 17:31:
Now firing: 38 Studios lays off entire staff

What a fucking boondoggle.

You think thats bad? You should have seen the payouts that were given to the big banks that caused a horrible depression a few years ago, and they used that money to give themselves huge bonuses and keep doing the same mistakes that caused the problems in the first place.

Oh, and the smaller banks that didn't engage in those risky business practices? They died off or were bought up by the big banks that got bailed out.

641 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo