Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kitkoan

Real Name Kitkoan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kitkoan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2010, 04:28
Total Comments 674 (Apprentice)
User ID 56087

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Linux Plans
7. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 00:19 Kitkoan

headkase wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 23:53:
Kitkoan wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 23:36:
Have you tried using PlayOnLinx? Its pretty much an installer for Windows games with a preset Wine setup. So it will install your Windows game with the best working version of Wine for that program and the extras it needs.

Just installed it now, thanks. I remember trying it ages ago but at that time I already had a Crossover license so I didn't stick with it. This new version I just installed, after a few years, looks good - I'll have to kick the tires and see how good..

Works good for me. I remember when it first came out... wasn't good but glad to see it's improved.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 16, 2012, 23:36 Kitkoan

Have you tried using PlayOnLinx? Its pretty much an installer for Windows games with a preset Wine setup. So it will install your Windows game with the best working version of Wine for that program and the extras it needs.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jul 16, 2012, 22:56 Kitkoan

The whole needing Games for Windows Live kinda kills that for me  

3. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 16, 2012, 21:49 Kitkoan

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 21:20:
Don't games have a HELL of a time working under Linux? Would they then make sure all their games worked? Seems pretty difficult to muster doesn't it? Or what? Have L4D2 work and that is it? pfft. Not worth the effort....
]

Not really, its just a different OS more then anything.

And they don't even make sure all their games work on Windows. Some of their older games don't work on modern machines running Windows 7. This is one of the reasons they are aiming for Ubuntu 12.04. This is their base point, just like how all their games used the most commonly used Windows at the time of their release. This doesn't mean it won't work on other versions of the same family of OS, but that it wasn't tested for those other versions.

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter
14. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:43 Kitkoan

Tumbler wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 12:40:
People keep pointing this out like it's an obvious problem...when it's not. Game development is funded by someone. If users want to step up and be that someone and the company continues to deliver then I see it as a positive.

I feel it is a problem. Kickstarter is (to my knowledge) supposed to help finance those who have tried and couldn't get financed, a last choice option. Now bigger players are seeing it a a first choice because they don't have to pay back loans so they can maximize profits. Kinda like taking from the poor to help the rich

10. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:35 Kitkoan

Prez wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 12:17:

To say that a sequel shouldn't need to be kickstarted is a bit dubious - maybe they only broke even on the original? Indies don't have publishers fronting them money for new projects regardless of how well received the original was. I am fully behind this project.

Well, Microsoft promoted them at the Game Developers Conference in 2009 (months before they sold the game). And they are currently working with Valve on their Counter Strike games. This sounds like not your usual Indie company. It was created by Mark Terrano, the lead designer of Age of Empires 2 and it used the Gamebryo engine (Elder Scrolls 4, Fallout 3). This doesn't sound like some small Indie company that would be hard pressed to find funding or have issues with balancing a budget nicely

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 13, 2012, 12:23 Kitkoan

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 12:21:
Interesting, wonder how many of these forums and all that had their security outsourced. Been a lot of data breaches recently.

The Android Forums one is misleading. Its for a third party site (a part of the Phandroid website family). It has nothing to do with the real Android or Google in any way. Its like saying the Apple forums were hacked and then pointing to the CultOfMac forums

5. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 12:17 Kitkoan

PHJF wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 12:03:
You already had a kickstarter. It was called Defense Grid: The Awakening.

I completely agree with you there. A sequel is supposed to be financed by the original. If you need a kickstarter to make a sequel it tells me either the original didn't sell well enough to merit a sequel, or your sloppy with money/sales of the original and don't deserve to be kickstarted.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 to Include Original
26. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 17:10 Kitkoan

Panickd wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 16:34:

On another note: Why don't companies like EA, Activision, etc. all host their old games that no one in their right mind would pay money for as free downloads? It wouldn't cost them anything, it would be good PR and it would save people from having to trudge to various sites looking for old gems. Seems like there would only be winners in that scenario.

Because once they make it free officially, then it's free no matter what later. As someone pointed out, if this sequel goes big they might decide to repackage the original up in DOSBox and sell it for a few dollars. And the same goes with all IP, once free you can't put it back in the box and many companies like to resell old IP when they reboot it for a few extra bucks. Sure, they could try to package it as a collection but people will still give away their legally free copies.

It's just cheaper and easier to turn a blind eye to the old IP and only have it taken down when money is involved. Also, sites like GoG.com kill any companies ideas of releasing old games for free since they can all see old/dead IP can be still sold for quite some money on sites like GoG. Some games like Ultima 4 are free on GoG since they already had made it free so (I know it's in a bundle so your really paying for Ultima 5 and 6), and now I don't think any company wants to risk giving up a potential cash cow

News Comments > The Walking Dead FPS Details
8. Re: The Walking Dead FPS Details Jul 9, 2012, 12:09 Kitkoan

Verno wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 11:54:
Wallshadows wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 11:47:
What about a game for T-Dog? He had phenomenal moments in Season 2 such as driving a truck and...wandering in to shots...

Such a waste of raw talent!

I still feel bad for that actor, he is the literal Token Black Guy in the worst way.

I'm surprised they didn't try to make Tyreese in the TV series

News Comments > Just Cause 2 MP Mod
2. Re: Just Cause 2 MP Mod Jul 9, 2012, 12:03 Kitkoan

space captain wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 11:41:
do ya ever have deja vu, joe?

Whoa, déjà vu...

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Details
1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 9, 2012, 11:53 Kitkoan

Looking forward to trying a Asura...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2012, 11:32 Kitkoan

Here's hoping that fixes the problem Blue  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
7. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jul 9, 2012, 04:58 Kitkoan

Tusker wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 04:37:
Kitkoan wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 02:51:
Thanks for noticing and posting about it though
That comment wasn't directed at your, btw - I just can't stand brand-locked 'exclusives'. It's not like it requires Tegra hardware to run or anything.

As always, I'm loving your work! Allthumbsup

No problem, glad I can help. I am also trying to avoid linking to THD games (Tegra HD, needs a Tegra card) but those might slip through here and there.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jul 9, 2012, 02:51 Kitkoan

Tusker wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 20:26:
Tiny Bang Story - "EXCLUSIVELY FOR SONY DEVICES TILL AUGUST 5 2012"

Derp. Freak

Sorry, I try to avoid posting those kinds of games, but that one slipped through. Movingalong

Thanks for noticing and posting about it though

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2012, 15:59 Kitkoan

So does anyone know how Skyrim is still in the top ten physically? There is a limit where everyone who will buy it has bought it...  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
6. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 8, 2012, 02:15 Kitkoan

eunichron wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 22:47:
nin wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 20:56:
Wallshadows wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 20:53:
Pickle jar guy?

Oh lord, there are some things I am grateful for being out of the loop on and I feel this may be one of those things.

I'd not heard of that one, either. But I'm sure as fuck not gonna google it...

Yeah... that one you're better off not even knowing it exists.

Of course, now you know it exists, so you might as well Google it.

Oh god... NSFW

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
12. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 8, 2012, 01:13 Kitkoan

Sepharo wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 01:07:
So you're not going to explain why you brought this crap up in the first place? What's the relation to the article?

That like a Google search, the most random subjects can be found when your not looking for that subject?

5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 7, 2012, 18:06 Kitkoan

AnointedSword wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 18:01:
Funny how people can be so smart in one area of life and be totally dense in others. Keep voting liberal and eventually your company will be taken over by the government.

Keep voting conservative and watch your every right be taken over by big companies like the RIAA/MPAA

1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 7, 2012, 17:50 Kitkoan

So is Google the internet version of McDonalds and will show a sign on their front page of "Billions and billions served?"  

674 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo