Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kitkoan

Real Name Kitkoan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kitkoan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2010, 04:28
Total Comments 685 (Apprentice)
User ID 56087

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Game Reviews Jul 29, 2012, 20:08 Kitkoan

Axis wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 16:53:

Anytime you preface a PC game review with "plays best with a controller" translates exactly to "SHIT PORT", simple as that no excuses.

I'll argue this. These days I'm playing more games with a controller then on the keyboard and mouse when I can. On my computer. I find that I'm more comfortable to just lean back and play my game with a controller then to sit forward to play with the keyboard and mouse. And I use Joy2Key to help make more games work with my controller. I enjoy playing Guild Wars with a controller, while it's not the most ideal it works nicely and I feel thats a plus for me.

In the end, different controlling options can be a good thing. Also playing Serious Sam HD with a group of friends is great when all you have to do is toss the controller around and having it playing on the huge TV.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
11. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 29, 2012, 20:03 Kitkoan

I have a gaming laptop, but I'll admit it's not the cheapest route and it has its ups and downs.

I can still play modern games very well (Its a Oct 2010 gaming laptop, almost 2 years old) so I have no issues so far. But some of the draw backs are its heavy and it has a whooping 2.5-3 hours of battery life... I knew what I was getting then though so I was ok with that.

Reasons I prefer it to a desktop is I'm not locked to one place and I could do a lan group/party easily with friends.

Though, at $1600 it would have been a cheaper option to buy a desktop and unless you are the type that can't stand being in the same place with your computer (like myself) or have to travel a lot, it wouldn't be my first suggestion.

News Comments > Sanctum OS X Plans
7. Re: Sanctum OS X Plans Jul 29, 2012, 02:57 Kitkoan

DrEvil wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 01:52:
I'd like to see what claims you have to backup "OSX is bloated"; I also fail to see how the "bloat" of an OS in the "traditional sense" would even matter here. As far as "Apple's lackluster hardware", which hardware are you talking about? Certainly not the new MacBook Pro Retina with a GeForce GT650M. Their hardware, in general, is certainly no worse than the mainstream PC market in terms of performance or ability.

As I said, look up other games that are both coded for Windows and OSX. You'll notice that the OSX version needs a more powerful GPU due to OSX's excesses usage of OpenCL for all the "pretty" effects. And your comparing a $3000 laptop to what kind of "mainstream PC market"? Most people aren't paying $3K, so please use a more serious example.

I'm uncertain why you believe the OS' use of OpenCL/OpenGL is the primary cause of issues here.

Most of the performance issues in OS X can be traced back to the kernel or to Apple's current OpenGL stack. But these are things that continue to get better, and I might add are not preventing the commercial success of games on the platform.

The performance of the system is good enough, although I wish it was better in some areas.

So hold on, first you tell me you don't know why I think OpenGL could be a primary cause here, then you go on to tell me you know that OpenGL has problems which would be a primary cause since it is the API used from graphical games. If it's having issues doing the main part of the program/game then I would say that is one of the primary causes. And back to OpenCL doing too many OSX extras like the animation, etc...

Nowhere did any of us suggest that Apple makes "a good gaming rig"; I agree that they don't. What I am willing to claim though is that their hardware is just as suitable as most mainstream PCs for gaming, and their laptops are certainly just as qualified as the majority of the ones on the market. (Exceptions being "portable workstations" like the ones Alienware/Dell sells.)

Define "their hardware" and now you want to compare I'm guessing that $3000 laptop but don't want to compare it to a $2000-$3000 PC laptop?

Until Apple actually makes it clear that their intent is to lock their platform down, it's silly to assign to classify their actions here as malignant. Microsoft is making the same moves with Windows 8. Believe it or not, the same moves have also been considered (as far as signed application execution) in the UNIX market space for the last few years now as well with the advent of TPM and "trusted boot" technologies.

Turning it on by default pretty much did show they are slowly moving towards closing OSX. Depending on the backlash will show if they finally do, but my money is that they will. But it's not set in stone nor did I claim it was.

Me: Gatekeeper is now on by default and most basic users won't turn it off because you have to go to the Security settings and turn things off (people will think warning signs about turning any system settings off, more so with a security setting clearly labelled Security).

But by default, there's a documented shortcut key for allowing you to open the app regardless of the security setting. Which I believe can be reached through the '?' read more link on the Gatekeeper popup. I applaud Apple's move here as too many people will just run any random thing they download and instantly click through dialogs. It's almost a given that if you require people to actually read something, they won't, and so most individuals won't bypass gatekeeper.

Because everyone reads every system warning and doesn't just click the box to remove the warning/note. Might I introduce you to the average user? Tip, they don't read things like that. Which means that for basic users it kinda will and they are using this as a judge to move to the next step of locking it down.

Me: n the next version or two it could be possible to no be able to disable Gatekeeper and it being marketed off as a selling point "No need to worry about malware as OSX has been now designed to prevent viruses from being able to do anything." This has been touted already as a security for it's users on iOS and a selling point for many.

And it would be irresponsible, wild speculation to believe they'll go further than that. Until Apple says otherwise, I have no reason (as a developer and user) to believe that they will.

The day they do is the day I'm no longer interested in the platform, but until they do, or give indications that they will, I'm not going to waste time worrying about hypotheticals.

At this point, I'd be more inclined to believe Microsoft would do that than Apple.

See about about closing OSX... and they are already withholding functions like iCloud and I think its the Notifications from developers unless they use the App store with further implies they are slowing locking it down. And since they already withholding new functions, they are most likely to keep doing it.

Yes, I agree the sandbox model needs more permissive models for certain classes of applications. But on the other hand, Apple's trying to do something no one in the desktop industry has done before, so I think it's going to be a learning process for everyone involved. Apple has already expanded the capabilities of the sandbox model from what they provided originally based on developer feedback.

Based on developer feedback? Thats why they are having such a backlash? Over things that developer feedback agreed with?

Me: And what API's are good for making games on OSX? From what I've heard, OpenGL support is pretty bad on OSX and DirectX doesn't work at all. The two main API's used for games don't have much support that I'm aware of. This really hinders development on OSX as you'll need to use Cocoa I think?

First of all, as of OS X 10.7, the OpenGL support is very good. Apple has a very solid implementation of OpenGL 3.2. Yes, I wish they supported greater than 3.2, but they have a holistic approach to what they support on the platform that tends to reflect their minimum supported hardware profile. My guess is that the next release of OS X will provide support for a newer version of OpenGL as OS X Mountain Lion was the first version to officially drop support for all pre-OpenGL 3.3 hardware.

You are aware OpenGL is version 4.1, and many Apple machines physically can support it but Apple isn't bothing to? This is hurting them, old outdated support, and 4.1 was released in Augest last year, so almost a year later they still are showing no interest. They are only just supporting 3.2 with the newer version of OSX, which is from Augest 2009. Explain how this is really good support of OpenGL?

As for them not supporting DirectX; WTF? That's a microsoft-only API that's patented, copyrighted, etc. No large corporate entity is going to provide support for that. Most of the mobile and console device space (excluding the Xbox) is OpenGL ES (iPhone, Android, Blackberry, etc.), or OpenGL-based (PS3).

This is why I mentioned OpenGL, since pretty much every game runs a on either DirectX (Windows only) or OpenGL, and as both you and I have shown, Apple isn't really supporting it since they are only just using a 3 year old version of it thats horribly out of date.

Me:
And if so, you're just adding more cost to an already small gaming market. Things like these make gaming on OSX less then a great move and why I think Valve has all but stopped development of Steam on OSX.

"all but stopped development of Steam on OSX"? Seriously? On what basis do you make that claim. They make updates to the steam client frequently on OS X. In fact, when I logged into it tonight there was an update.

You might want to tell that to the many, many complaints of basic issues on the Steam Mac forums then because they are stating otherwise. And I just looked again right now and seeing more basic complaints of basic Steam functions.

Me: As for the Humble Indie Bundles, OSX users tend to buy a few more copies but not enough to compensate the average price between it and Linux so it doesn't not have a greater revenue collected.

Uh, wrong. If you actually go look at the last humble bundle graph for total revenues, you'd see that the Mac users contributed more revenue in *total* than Linux users. Almost double. While the Windows users of course contribute several times the Mac+Linux users combined.

Go back, look at it again. I did, thats how I know. I didn't write that until I checked to see.
Humble Bundle 2 was a tie. Frozen Byte Bundle Linux out did OSX by about a decent amount. Humble Bundle 3, Linux just out did OSX. Frozen Synapse was a tie. Voxitron OSX just out did Linux by a little. Introversion Bundle Linux out did OSX by a little. Humble Bundle 4 OSX sold a bit more the Linux. Android Bundle Linux did more then double OSX. Mojam OSX just out sold Linux. Android 2 again Linux more then double. Botanicula OSX did about double Linux. Humble Bundle 5 OSX out sold Linux by about 2/3. Not touching the Music Bundle since it is game free. And Linux always pays more. This means Linux out does OSX on average. I own all the Bundles but the first one so I can check.

PS, I was too tired to bother with better quote tag but it is still understandable

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
6. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 28, 2012, 23:44 Kitkoan

DukeFNukem wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 21:30:
Oops, looks like I hit the nerve of an ObamaCare supporter. Sorry bout that!

Wow... that was a huge stretch to come to that...

And he's right, governments have since the "birth" of the NSA in 1952. You can't blame todays government for continuing 60 years of a government branch.

News Comments > Sanctum OS X Plans
5. Re: Sanctum OS X Plans Jul 28, 2012, 21:48 Kitkoan

DrEvil wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 17:01:
Axis wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 15:27:
Mac != gaming.

Companies would be smarter making them for Linux...

The Mac has everything needed to make games, and I would note that the total amount of revenue collected on every Humble Bundle has been greater for the mac than for Linux.

It's also quite frankly a better, easier platform to develop for from a development and OS API standpoint.

The problem is, OSX is bloated and this makes it harder to play games combined with Apples lackluster hardware makes gaming a bigger challenge then it should be.

They fill up the GPU (which games need) with the OS's bloat using OpenCL to make it seem faster until you need to use the GPU then you notice that the OSX version needs a faster/more powerful GPU then the Windows version (the only game that doesn't have this issue I've seen are small indie games and Portal 2 and the Source engine is a CPU intensive engine, not GPU).

Apple doesn't make decent hardware for gaming in mind and most won't/can't upgrade easily to make a good gaming rig.

And with Apples move to it's own built in App store plus the fact that it's slowly locking OSX down to become iOS doesn't encourage anyone. Gatekeeper is now on by default and most basic users won't turn it off because you have to go to the Security settings and turn things off (people will think warning signs about turning any system settings off, more so with a security setting clearly labelled Security). In the next version or two it could be possible to no be able to disable Gatekeeper and it being marketed off as a selling point "No need to worry about malware as OSX has been now designed to prevent viruses from being able to do anything." This has been touted already as a security for it's users on iOS and a selling point for many. And many developers are already complaining about the sandboxing for the App store.

And what API's are good for making games on OSX? From what I've heard, OpenGL support is pretty bad on OSX and DirectX doesn't work at all. The two main API's used for games don't have much support that I'm aware of. This really hinders development on OSX as you'll need to use Cocoa I think? And if so, you're just adding more cost to an already small gaming market. Things like these make gaming on OSX less then a great move and why I think Valve has all but stopped development of Steam on OSX.

As for the Humble Indie Bundles, OSX users tend to buy a few more copies but not enough to compensate the average price between it and Linux so it doesn't not have a greater revenue collected.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September
28. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 01:19 Kitkoan

Dev wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 01:10:
The "over 400 improvements" are likely these community fixpacks:
http://www.forgottenwars.com/dudleyfix/fixpacks.htm
If you add them up, there's a little over 400 fixes in those fixpacks. Which makes me wonder if they are even going to acknowledge them.

Maybe they will add to the credits "And thanks to all whom help keep BG alive all this time"?

News Comments > GameStop Interested in Digital Resales
21. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 27, 2012, 01:17 Kitkoan

Bet wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 01:08:
Kitkoan wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 01:04:
Bet wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 21:02:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 20:53:
A gray digital market is almost as bad as piracy, as far as developers are concerned.

Just like car manufacturers would LOVE it if nobody could buy used cars. And furniture manufacturers would LOVE it if nobody could buy used furniture. I could go on forever, and that's why I think that this argument is simply ridiculous. I bought it, I own it, I should be able to resell it. What's next, manufacturers of EVERYTHING trying to make it impossible for anybody to ever sell anything used?
Less ridiculous an argument than comparing a piece of software that costs as much as a single meal on sale, to the 2nd (or most) valuable thing people own, other than a house/flat? Really?

Ok then, lets look at something more realistic then.

What if car manufacturers could make it that you couldn't buy or sell used cars
Are you fucking kidding me? You just used his same damn argument!

How about you two try retorting to NKD, instead of using my comment as a straw man. I'm wrong, period, move on.

*whoosh* The link, click and read it... because his argument is no where near as ridiculous as you want it to be.

News Comments > GameStop Interested in Digital Resales
19. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 27, 2012, 01:04 Kitkoan

Bet wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 21:02:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 20:53:
A gray digital market is almost as bad as piracy, as far as developers are concerned.

Just like car manufacturers would LOVE it if nobody could buy used cars. And furniture manufacturers would LOVE it if nobody could buy used furniture. I could go on forever, and that's why I think that this argument is simply ridiculous. I bought it, I own it, I should be able to resell it. What's next, manufacturers of EVERYTHING trying to make it impossible for anybody to ever sell anything used?
Less ridiculous an argument than comparing a piece of software that costs as much as a single meal on sale, to the 2nd (or most) valuable thing people own, other than a house/flat? Really?

Ok then, lets look at something more realistic then.

What if car manufacturers could make it that you couldn't buy or sell used cars, furniture manugacturers could make if that you couldn't buy or sell used furniture? I could go on forever.

It's being argued in court about this happening at the moment.

14. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 21:59 Kitkoan

entr0py wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 21:41:
I hope I'm wrong about this but the screen shots just look sort of like they applied some Photoshop filters to everything. It would be nice to see a high resolution video. And to know the new native resolution for that matter.

That might be the real deal. There is nothing stating other wise in the list.

A new adventure, 3 new characters, some new voices, support for widescreen (not HD screens, just widescreen support), numerous "improvements" (maybe bug fixes? Doesn't state anything about new art so some of them might be photoshop filters and newer OS support) and improved multiplayer. Nothing about updated art.

11. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 21:39 Kitkoan

nin wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 21:29:
I don't mind the price. I would, however, like to see some screenshots...even if it looks identical to the original release, it's past time they showed what they've been working on.

They have what looks like 3 on that link.

Screen shot 1 2 3

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 26, 2012, 19:55 Kitkoan

Bet wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 17:44:
m0deth wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 14:11:
I swear to bob, young writers need to actually THINK about the subject matter they write about, not just 'research' it.
They do think. They think "is this inflammatory enough to get lots and lots of hits?" Then publish.

Some are also blindly pro-Apple, anti-everyone else.

And he ignored some basic things. First he said only about piracy on Android and not iOS. Thing is, iOS piracy is around the same level. While not everyone knows how to jailbreak iOS, pretty much everyone knows someone who can and they will help install http://hackulo.us/ which is literally a one-stop-shop for all sorts of pirated iOS apps. Last time I checked there is no such site like it (and its what all my friends tell me "Get an iPhone, you can pirate everything so easily." It's an open secret about iOS piracy)

He also uses Dead Trigger as his piracy example claiming "Dead Trigger was being sold for a dollar and is then supplemented further with the sale of optional in-game purchases. Sounds reasonable enough." No, it doesn't sound reasonable. In fact, most reviews that mention about the in app purchases (which are really Pay-2-Win style) have criticized about this, which means it might have been more of a consumer backlash (remember Spore and it's piracy rate). And if Android piracy is so bad, why hasn't Madfinger complained about it before for their other two games? ShadowGun got a lot of attention so if they are right, where was the complaints about it's piracy rate?

As for the suggestion of gift cards, many people (myself included) won't do it because there have been quite a few times I've seen friends buy them only to find out they have already been redeemed from a keygen. And since the company can't really prove I bought the card now or its an older one, your out of luck and money.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2012, 20:50 Kitkoan

SectorEffector wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 19:13:
Everyone compares this to win 8 on the fact that it brings in some of the phone UI but I disagree, Metro forces you to use it, you don't have to use Launchpad to launch apps or work in Mountain Lion. I'd say it's just an improved version of lion.

UI response and overall smoothness is MUCH MUCH better in Mountain Lion, even on my old Macbook pro. It's been really nice on my Retina Macbook Pro.

Win Vista = Lion
Win 7 = Mountain Lion.

Ya they are off by years, but I'd say Leopard was horrible and was made really smooth with Snow Leopard.

Lion was sorta a pain and is much better with Mountain Lion.

My Review.

sidenote: Playing Diablo III or HL2 Ep 2 at 2880x1800 just rocks..

in Windows I can play BF3 at 2000+ resolutions too, settings on high except shadows which is at medium.

Love my Retina Mac Can't wait for PC Laptops to adopt a 2880 res.

Windows doesn't look like shit either, works fine with DPI settings.

Are What settings are you playing those games and how many FPS? Any other games? Perferably more modern. Friend is looking into getting one but I'm trying to steer him away since every review I've read that stops going on about the screen keeps making it seem like my first impression of it was right. It keeps sounding like a semi truck being powered by a prius engine. I heard reports of it crawling get around during 20fps on Facebook Web surfing. The only decent gaming scores over read always have the screen toned down to 1400-700ish (half the screen size). The only review I read with the full resolution was of Diablo 3 doing good a 'smooth' 15-18 fps and they didn't tell what the rest of the game settings were (max? Min? Makes a big difference.)

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
18. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 18:31 Kitkoan

Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 08:39:
I'm selective with what I post using my real name. The only thing I have under it online is a very mundane flickr account where I post safe travel photos that I'm happy for HR people related to future employers to find. It's better for them to find SOMETHING googling you, rather than no presence at all..

When you have a common name like mine, its a meaningless concept to be able to possibly find something about me on Google, as you'd have to dig many pages in remote hopes of finding the one unique me. Facebook too

News Comments > Indie Royale July Jubilee Bundle
6. Re: Indie Royale July Jubilee Bundle Jul 24, 2012, 17:44 Kitkoan

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 14:29:
I would get unepic but to me it's borderline plagarism. I hate the excuse of "homage", "tribute", and "reference", to me it sounds like a cheap, cop-out way of using someone else' work to include and use in your game. I mean easter eggs are one thing, but this is a direct rip off of castlevania.

How is it borderline plagarism? I don't understand that part.

Because of its game style? If so, then every FPS could be said to be a copy of Wolfenstein, many JRPG's would be copies of Dragon Quest, etc... Or is there something about it I'm missing? (never played it beyond the demo's first save point).

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 02:55 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 01:24:
Lorcin wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 22:00:
Hey Google

My wife's an ex-topless model who's 36fs are still on multiple websites. But her real name is hidden under 3 layers of aliases which has paid dividends as she's currently doing teacher training.

Not everybody want's their real life and their virtual life linked up.

I understand that for females. However, as a male, paricularly if I was like that guy with the huge schlong who got stopped by the TSA the other day I'd probably be col with it. Hell, I'd probably insist on it.

Three words: Star Wars Kid.

There is a reason even for guys not wanting real names and all

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 00:17 Kitkoan

Google+ dropped the need for pseudonyms long ago.

I have a Google+ account for the video chat options (video quality is much higher then Skype) and I use a pseudonym. And its obviously a pseudonym. They dropped that need way back in January.

And this is a one time question with obvious answers to help make sure you don't do it by default. They aren't trying to trick you into making your name a real name, they aren't trying to trick you into using a Google+ name. It has a big button clearly stating "I don't want to use my full name."

Must be a slow news day I guess...

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 24, 2012, 00:04 Kitkoan

DangerDog wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 21:56:
Dead Trigger publicity stunt? Never heard of the game before.

More like a gamer backlash and they are trying to make themselves look like the victim.

It was a paid game that was a Pay-2-Win game inside. You had to buy the game and then got to find out that in order to win you pretty much needed to spend even more money. So in short, it was a game that its developers killed in greed and are now trying to escape blame for their screw ups. In order to be able to really win, grinding was pretty much impossible, so you would need to at least spend an extra $6 in game. And since the upgrades aren't a part of the game, if anything goes wrong with your save/phone/whatever then you lose those extras you paid for.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2012, 18:23 Kitkoan

Acleacius wrote on Jul 22, 2012, 17:43:
Blue you should go for homemade Kimchi or Sauerkraut. They are great additions to grilled meats and vegetables and have amazing health benefits, since they are fermented.

When I go for Korean Barbeque the side dishes are always a perfect complement to the grilled dishes.

Mmmmmm.... I now want real Korean bbq now, with things like sesame leaf...

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
1. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jul 22, 2012, 18:22 Kitkoan

Is it just me, or does the animated police officer in the screen shot look like he's fried on acid? His eyes are completely dilated and have a reflection on them that is normal cartoon signs of being high as a kite  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Using Twitter To Identify Psychopaths Jul 21, 2012, 17:14 Kitkoan

DangerDog wrote on Jul 21, 2012, 15:44:
Pumas wrote on Jul 21, 2012, 14:40:
The use of twitter in general signifies at least some kind of psychosis.

Watch and see how they twist it around to being "abnormal" to not have Facebook and Twitter accounts.

I don't have a Facebook account, so I will be abnormal. I grew up with it being drilled in my head don't release personal information on the web, combined with the fact that there is a known leap in ID fraud with people who use it (since it tends to show more information then most people understand. If not from you then by your friends.)

That and I think Mark Zuckerberg said it best "They trust me dumb fucks".

685 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo