Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kitkoan

Real Name Kitkoan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kitkoan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2010, 04:28
Total Comments 685 (Apprentice)
User ID 56087

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2012, 16:02 Kitkoan

Jerykk wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:53:
Challenge is a pretty integral part of most game experiences. Imagine if you couldn't die in Amnesia. Imagine if you had regenerating health in DayZ. Imagine if you didn't actually have to aim in shooters (actually, you can just play CoD on consoles if you want to see that in action).

And yet, you've mentioned the exact problem.

Look at CoD on consoles. It has easy mode pretty much all over it. Regenerating health, assisted auto-aim, death is more of a bonus to refill on ammo instead of a penalty. This game has been made so easy to make it more "reachable" to the average player. And for this it has become the biggest selling game ever.

Amnesia, DayZ, Super Meat Boy. These games were hard and sold only a fraction of what CoD sold. And publishers watch this. People vote for what they want with their wallets and big business follows want the people want. And they want easy mode. They want their games to have no real challenge. Gamers like you and I don't want these games but in the end we are just the few against the loud voices of the many casual gamers and business is more concerned with the bigger group. Yes you will have the rare exception like Dark Souls, but those are rare. CoD-style easy mode games are the common money makers.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on Valve's Hardware Plans
25. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 15:31 Kitkoan

I think that Valve is more looking at peripherals as opposed to a whole system.

I'm pretty sure Valve is wanting to help look forward to devices like the Razer Hydra. It was supposed to have been a big step forward in controlling games, similar to the Wii but with much better accuracy. Problem was, it didn't work nearly as well as it was supposed to and I don't think Razer is bothering to improve it now since it didn't sell well. When it came out (and still is), it was sold with a copy of Portal 2 that had 6 levels designed by Valve for use with this device. This tells me that Valve wanted it to a success. It just didn't and now Valve is going to try to do it themselves.

While many of us have seen the Valve controller (it was linked here by nin), I don't think that is the only idea Valve is playing with and the Hydra being the proof of that I feel.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 22, 2012, 22:31 Kitkoan

theglaze wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 22:14:
4K res? Sure, at <25fps

Hey, Pong might be able to reach 30 FPS at that size

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 18, 2012, 23:51 Kitkoan

wtf_man wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 12:16:
Ignoring the typical Apple hatred...

As one said... the price of Apple products are pretty much the same online vs. the store.

What also makes the stores successful is that they hold classes for the computer illiterate that just bought their new mac (or other apple product), and these people can go in and get pointers at any time from that staff. Unlike other electronic outlets, Apple employees have to know their product. While some of them still can't answer more advanced questions of a visiting IT person... they have more than enough knowledge for the average consumer. This is a level of service that no other electronics retail outlet has.

Another thing that makes the stores successful... they are set up to let you play with all of their products. The products pretty much sell themselves without any employee pressure. They are trained to ask you once, if you need any help or have any questions... and if you say no... they leave you alone, and let you fiddle with the product. You might get more than one asking you because they didn't see the other employee ask you... but once they ask you, they don't bug you.

That said... Yes, they are overstaffed, IMO. They could maintain the same level of service, easily, with a 20% reduction. I mean... it's like watching road workers... one with a jackhammer and 3 others standing around and watching him work. I'm not saying that it is like that all day long in an Apple store... I'm sure they have their "rush hours" where all of their employees are fairly busy... but for the majority of the day, they probably are overstaffed, in most of the stores.

Some of their success might also be that their employees out right lie about the products at times. I still hear that Macs can't get viruses because of how they are made and other BS.

I went into a Best Buy the other day and the guy at the Apple section swore he's an employee of Apple (not Best Buy, so I'm going to call him the Apple guy. Not sure how those work). But while my friend was talking to him, still wanting to see a rMBP, I started to try to look up a tablet online and found a page on it on the one Mac. Problem was, scrolling thru the page was causing it to stutter and lose frame rates. When he saw I was getting annoyed/angry (I hate frame drops for basic things) he said it had nothing to do with the Mac, it was all because of the web connection on it, and he pointed that I should use the other one since its connection was better (it was also a lot more powerful, at a smaller resolution too). I pointed out that the webpage was loaded already and it wasn't download but he ignored that and just keep telling me that it was the connection only. If I was a basic user, I would have accepted that but once it's downloaded, the connection isn't the issue and this doesn't help one bit in my trust in Apple employees

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 17, 2012, 15:20 Kitkoan

Panickd wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 13:10:
Cutter wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 12:12:
No, it sounds like Apple bought off the judge. She's shut down Samsung at every turn. It's beyond obvious at this point. Samsung will easily win on appeal however.

Isn't this the case where the judge told Apple's lawyers they must be smoking crack and told them that she wouldn't be hearing anymore testimony from one of their witnesses? I don't think she's necessarily pro-Apple as much as she just wants the case over with because she knows no matter who wins it's not going to be settled in her court room. If Apple wins, Samsung appeals. And if Samsung were to win you can bet your ass Apple will be appealing. This whole case is just killing time and racking up lawyer fees and this judge knows it. I'm sure that she just wants to move on to a case that's going to matter at this point.

From what I've understood, for the most part that is all she has really done against Apple.

For Samsung, she has banned two of their products for sale before the trail was even started (something almost unheard of), banned them from mentioning that the legal threats/issues happened after Steve Jobs famously said he would go thermonuclear against Android and they happen to be the biggest Android seller, threated them for releasing to media evidence she refused that she declared would be made a public document and has zero effect on the case since the jury isn't supposed to read/watch about these kinds of things since it could taint their views(and if she did this in front of her jury would have tainted her own jury, not she if she did that though), banned Samsung from using any images of Steve Jobs, allowed Apple to pick and chose Samsung phones from the past to "re-write" history and haven't let Samsung use any of their other phones to defend against this (again, look at the images that went to the press, etc...

This seems more like her going "See, see, I'm not biased even though I went against the other one, in private away from the jury, with a matter that doesn't effect the case in any way and at the end. But but I still went against them, see"

News Comments > Nuclear Eclipse Online Kickstart
3. Re: Nuclear Eclipse Online Kickstart Aug 16, 2012, 00:59 Kitkoan

Looks like a quite cheap version of Call for L4D...  

News Comments > Diablo III Starter Edition
22. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition Aug 15, 2012, 18:23 Kitkoan

panbient wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 07:01:
deqer wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 21:09:
You really think someone is going to see a game on the shelf, and walk away and go home first to research it? No. Get real.

If that's what people need to do these days, then we've entered a sad time.

Or you know, they could just pick up the box, turn it to the side (either side) and read 'Internet Connection Required', it's also specified again, on the top and bottom flaps of the box too.

So if reading a requirement that's printed on the box 4 times is too much for people to do these days, they yes, we've entered a very sad time.

Oh wait! It's also printed on the front AND back too. So it's literally on every single side of the box.

Does it say required to play or just required? Many people these days are used to seeing required and knowing it means a rare check or two, but not always online the whole time

News Comments > Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch
2. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch Aug 13, 2012, 21:45 Kitkoan

I'm not surprised its having issues getting funding. I was interested in it myself... until I saw the game play. It looks exactly like a tactics game just made to be online, aka Final Fantasy Tactics, Fallout 1 and 2. While those are great games on their own they are also a bit more of a niche market. And they are also offline games.

All in all, it looked just like a offline single player game that is having always-online DRM being shoved down peoples throats all while trying not to appear that way. You know, Diablo 3 but with strictly single player game play styles. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm doubting I'm the only one who has felt that way about it

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 5, 2012, 18:24 Kitkoan

space captain wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 18:10:
Kitkoan wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 17:55:
Now with this in mind, who do you think I'm going to listen to more about the current computer gaming market? Someone still relevant and making well received PC games in todays market who has also been able to view the long term gaming market with things like the Steam store? Or of the someone who hasn't been real relevant to the gaming market in the past 10 years and their best attempt to seem modern gave forth to "MegaTextures"?&#65279;

Just because Carmack is a has been doesnt mean everything he says is automatically untrue.

"I want to be spoonfed what I should think by someone I respect!!" Really? Thats pathetic. But then again, it is quite common.

Linux isnt even close to being a widespread gaming platform any time soon. I learned that through experience and observation.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

- Ben Franklin

Theres some spoonfeeding for ya, big guy. Open wide, here comes the train.

CHOO CHOO!

I see your reading comprehension is a wonderful as always SpaceCase.

"Trolling trolling over the ocean blue..."

Go back to kindergarten and learn to read.

7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 5, 2012, 17:55 Kitkoan

So, when was the last time John Carmack released a well received PC game? Over 10 years ago? Doom 3 was a disappointment, Quake Wars: Enemy Territories wasn't any better, Rage? Yeah...

And when was the last time Gabe Newell released a well received PC game who says that Linux is a very good step in the right direction? Portal 2, Portal 1, L4D2, Half-life Episodes (I know 3 is still wanted...)

Now with this in mind, who do you think I'm going to listen to more about the current computer gaming market? Someone still relevant and making well received PC games in todays market who has also been able to view the long term gaming market with things like the Steam store? Or of the someone who hasn't been real relevant to the gaming market in the past 10 years and their best attempt to seem modern gave forth to "MegaTextures"?&#65279;

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Aug 5, 2012, 17:54 Kitkoan

Oops, posted in the completely wrong thread. Sorry  

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 4, 2012, 10:02 Kitkoan

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 22:53:
Read the Article.
"Oculus informed us that any game that uses the Unreal 4 game engine should be able to run on the Oculus Rift since John Carmack and team has already done the coding."

Read what you quoted "uses the Unreal 4 game engine SHOULD be able to run on the Oculus Rift". Should is the key word like I was saying about. The engine will support it but should and will are 2 very different things and so in the end it looks like it's up to the developers to enable it or not.

News Comments > Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift
21. Re: Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift Aug 4, 2012, 01:48 Kitkoan

space captain wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 01:44:
Kitkoan wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 01:33:
Awwww.... look at the widdle troll wanting attention... how cute..

awwwww... look at the sucker who took the bait...

sucker...

Ahhhh trolling the windows troll is always fun

17. Re: Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift Aug 4, 2012, 01:33 Kitkoan

space captain wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 01:27:
i remember people using cell phones in 97

we had cell phones back then

i remember drinking hot chocolate out of a muppets mug in 82

we had muppets mugs back then

Awwww.... look at the widdle troll wanting attention... how cute..

14. Re: Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift Aug 4, 2012, 01:18 Kitkoan

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 23:56:
We had VR headsets back in '99 but they didn't take off then either, I guess we'll see take 2.

I remember using them in '97 to play Duke Nukem 3D...

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 3, 2012, 22:30 Kitkoan

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 20:48:
Any game using the Unreal 4 engine should be able to use it since Carmack did the coding for it? At QuakeCon?

From what I'm understanding, no it won't work that way. Its something the maker will have to allow in the game. The engines (both Unreal 4 and I'm assuming the new Unity as it is listed as a supported engine on the Kickstarter) have the ability to allow for it but in the end, its not forced on the program and must in turn be programmed into the game to use it. So the engine can, but its up to the developer in the end.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 3, 2012, 20:33 Kitkoan

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 18:31:
Apple is out of control, hope the judge steps on them hard. Only so many ways to make a phone or a tablet.

Apple should be trying to compete with their product features, not with ridiculous patents that in actuality should never been granted.

I hate to say it, but Apple has won this one. They won even before the started in court as the Judge has already shown herself highly biased in Apples favor.

First she banned the Tab 10.1 and the Galaxy Nexus before the trail (a almost unheard of thing) over a "search related patent related to Siri" which is very vague. Then the Judge declared that the jury shouldn't hear about how Jobs wanted to go "thermonuclear war" on Android and Samsung is at the moment the biggest Android maker. Apple has been allowed to use 5 iconic images of Steve Jobs showing the iPhone while Samsung is forbidden to use anything about Steve Jobs in this trial. Samsung is also not allowed to show the Sony inspired iPhone proto types, and they aren't allowed to show their own prototypes, on the other hand Apple is allowed to show their own prototypes and Samsungs prototypes but not to show that Samsung made them before the iPhone. And now that Samsung publicly released public documents to the public (the Judge declared that all of these papers are to be released public) she then in court yelled at Samsung about it even though it didn't affect the trial in any way (jury members aren't allowed to see/read the news as it can make them biased from what they hear/read outside of the trial). In fact, if the Judge did this in front of the jury then she has made Samsung look bad in front of them with her one-sided views possibly tainting her own jury in the process.

So I'm pretty sure Apple won before they even started.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 2, 2012, 18:55 Kitkoan

Prez wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 12:47:
Until I can play the majority of modern games on it to me it isn't even a 4th string OS...

To play Devils advocate, by this definition all OS'S are not even 4th string since the majority of modern games are on Xbox 360 and PS3.

20. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 29, 2012, 23:44 Kitkoan

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:33:
Kitkoan wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:13:
[Thats one of the reasons I did research to see who builds the best quality laptops in hopes that its going to take some time until that happens. (its an Asus)

My son has an asus, the stealth fighter looking one. VC runs very hot, need to blow it out with air and keep it off a flat service. You can tell the tolerances are very close. The first time caught us a little, OS wouldn't boot, thought it was ram, then an internal fan then vc. Luckily blowing air works for most. Other then that it's been golden.

Sounds like what I have, just the Oct 2010 model. It has the little shield saying Republic of Gamers on it?

Never had issues with mine. Luck of the draw and all that huh?

14. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 29, 2012, 21:13 Kitkoan

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:09:
Kitkoan wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 20:03:
I have a gaming laptop, but I'll admit it's not the cheapest route and it has its ups and downs.

I can still play modern games very well (Its a Oct 2010 gaming laptop, almost 2 years old) so I have no issues so far. But some of the draw backs are its heavy and it has a whooping 2.5-3 hours of battery life... I knew what I was getting then though so I was ok with that.

Reasons I prefer it to a desktop is I'm not locked to one place and I could do a lan group/party easily with friends.

Though, at $1600 it would have been a cheaper option to buy a desktop and unless you are the type that can't stand being in the same place with your computer (like myself) or have to travel a lot, it wouldn't be my first suggestion.

If you go have tech issues, you'll feel a bit more in a pickle with one. Ideally if you have the cash to have both...

Thats one of the reasons I did research to see who builds the best quality laptops in hopes that its going to take some time until that happens. (its an Asus)

685 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo