Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kitkoan

Real Name Kitkoan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kitkoan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2010, 04:28
Total Comments 685 (Apprentice)
User ID 56087

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 21, 2012, 01:13 Kitkoan

ViRGE wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 00:42:
Kitkoan wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 23:50:
Seems to happen with every update from Apple...
That's the thing. It doesn't really happen, people just suddenly start using their phone a lot more and suspect something is wrong as a result.

That might be with a x.0.0 version, but it happens with x.0.x versions with it not always having been a problem with x.0.0 which more points towards a coding issue and not a user issue. The newness of a major versions wears out by the time of x.0.1/2 and if thats when there is a battery drain then its more likely a device/code fault.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 20, 2012, 23:50 Kitkoan

Seems to happen with every update from Apple...  

News Comments > Steam for Linux Beta Opens
13. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 00:17 Kitkoan

Jivaro wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 00:14:
Is the 32/64 bit thing the bigger deal rather then the distro?

Distro is a massive difference then 32/64 bit.

11. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 00:12 Kitkoan

Jivaro wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 00:10:
I guess what I am not understanding is why people (on the Valve boards) would complain about it not working on anything other then what it claims to work on. I might be misinterpreting something, but the beta was intended for a specific version of Ubuntu. I don't know, maybe I am missing something, but I read the forums and people complain about having problems trying to use hardware and software that isn't supported by the beta...and I guess that just doesn't seem all that helpful in terms of the development process.

Don't misunderstand me, I get it...people want it to work on their preferred hardware and on their preferred flavor of Linux...but it makes sense to me that Valve would pick a particular direction, get it working on that...and then go from there.

Because some people focused on the word "Linux" and thought it would support all flavors of Linux, not just Ubuntu.

And its very rare to find a Linux program that really only works on just one distro only.

7. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 19, 2012, 22:52 Kitkoan

Been using it for a while myself.

I find that its smoother then Windows 7 (I have my games listed as tiles and scrolls much smoother for me).

Games have been iffy with it though.

I'm also using Ubuntu 12.04 x64.

I did a training mission with Team Fortress 2 and it ran like a champ.

Killing Floor is a quick and dirty port and it shows in many ways. It runs on the Unreal engine which doesn't support Linux, so you get many errors and just odd things (like Direct X is a selectable graphic option). The floors sometimes don't show, my flashlight has transparency problems (instead of it being a see thru light, its a gray square where ever the light lands, blocking everything it shines on), runs really slow (on Windows I can max it out and run smooth, Medium for Linux), can't see through the scope on a crossbow (again with it being an issue with transparencies, it looks like you forgot to remove the lens cap...) and a few random issues. While nothing game breaking, it isn't the most fun.

Dungeons of Dredmor plays good but has random slowdowns/freezes for like 30 seconds. And screen size options are much more limited (on Windows I can choose almost every option between 800x600 to 1920x1080, on Linux I can choose either 800x600, 1280x768 (I think it was) and 1920x1080.) A bit annoying for me since I like playing in a Window and 1280x768 is too small on my 15 inch 1080p screen, but isn't big enough for 1920x1080 window.

Swords and Sworcery plays great after I had to move a file (someone on the Steam forums gave me a cut-n-paste code which fixed it). It seems to fix many of the issues for 64bit user but not all people and not all the time.

Space Chem just doesn't work. The file is bad (and its a Wine wrapped file). Replacing the .exe with the one from the .deb file of the Humble Bundle fixed it.

While I have most of the Linux games listed, I haven't tried the rest. Most of them seem to be just quick Wine wrapper games, and a few are just there but no one made sure to even see if they even run.

News Comments > Steam Stops Selling The War Z
40. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 19:26 Kitkoan

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 19:05:
Dev wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 19:05:
Jivaro wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 17:33:
This story just gets weirder... I mean, I am not even sure this is true or if it is just "piling on"...but still...wow...
It would be easy enough to see if its true. Someone with the game, start it up and see if the image is whats shown in that story. If it is, then its plagiarism.
It isn't true.

That is the loading screen.

According to the article, it isn't the loading screen that has the issue. It was their promo screen (being the top picture of War Z and their tag line "The Infestation Begins This Fall")

News Comments > Steam Stops Selling The War Z
37. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 19:05 Kitkoan

Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 15:35:
Yep. They've not been a bad place to get refunds from, but I can't remember them having announced them other than one instance for a game I forgot.

Creston

The game was From Dust.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 18, 2012, 23:10 Kitkoan

SectorEffector wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 18:18:
DangerDog wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 15:12:
If I were Google I would have slapped on a .99 charge for the maps app, a special idiot tax for buying an Apple product in the first place.

Or I would do something crazy like have it take your personal data and sell it to advertisers, that'll show those idiot apple users for buying a device they wanted with their money.

That already happens. May I show you iAds?

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: War Z Rage Dec 18, 2012, 23:05 Kitkoan

Maybe it's just me, but the way it looked, read and titled I really thought this was that DayZ mod now as its stand alone game.

Surprised to find out it isn't.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Limited Competition Dec 18, 2012, 15:55 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 13:54:
Given the limited competition, govn't regulation should make caps and overages illegal for wired internet. It's completely unnecessary, and there's plenty of profit to be made with a flat pricing model. Hell most other countries in the world have lower flat rates, with faster speeds, and no caps and overages. You can't tell me that they're not making money that way.

Many of those countries also have those same benefits for wireless internet. It shouldn't be limited to wireless. And if you did, every ISP would give a wifi hub to everyone as a loophole so they are no longer a wired connection.

News Comments > EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM
38. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 15:51 Kitkoan

Bhruic wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 14:32:
It's not about DRM, it's about socialization. EA realized that social gaming is free advertisement, so they mandated that all games they ship have social components. It's even mentioned during the AMA, that whatever the guy's name is said that he wouldn't greenlight any game that was only single player.

I'm pretty sure it's about DRM and being able to maximize money from each title with EA here. With it needing to be always online they can kill the game for everyone nice and easily when the newer version comes out. Everyone playing the old version and not buying the new version to play is viewed as a lost sale because the old copy isn't generating more money this year, it's already made it's cash.

And yes, it works because EA already does this. They keep killing the multiplayer functions on their games quickly (sometimes a year later) claiming that they aren't being used much anymore. But without them showing real numbers it's a guessing game. http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-shutting-down-over-a-dozen-game-servers-6366856

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Dec 17, 2012, 19:18 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 17:24:
Yeah, Ars game reporting has fallen off a bit. Ben was good.

That "overrated" game article was kind of crappy, although when they did the best of thing, the followup comment article was pretty awesome.

Yeah, it felt kinda as a filler article/thingy. And giving the author a chance to just call out some of the more "random" (possible troll) people.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 14, 2012, 19:08 Kitkoan

Tom wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 23:31:
Kitkoan wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 23:02:
What would really help give vectors I push I think would be something like an MMX technology that is just for vectors or even a x87-style chip.

What do you think a GPU is?

Not dedicated vector graphics?

Your GPU handles much, MUCH more then vector work. Its like asking why have the x87 chip, what do you think the x86 chip does?

And more and more work is being thrown to the GPU, things like CUDA, which aren't a part of graphics in any form.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 14, 2012, 19:03 Kitkoan

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 14:49:
Cutter wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 10:46:
Suuuuure you were, fellas! It's ok, you don't need to rationalize it. Swing however you like, baby!

Makes you wonder about the development of the wiimote. Hell it even has a rubber sheath! Wait, didn't Nintendo own one of those love hotels in the past too?

Oh Nintendo, your really just a dirty bird aintcha?

It also vibrates and is very phallic shaped... wait a minute, wait a minute...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 13, 2012, 23:02 Kitkoan

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 16:16:
a Windows version with no backwards support AT ALL. And I don't see any chance in hell MS is gonna do that.

Windows RT. They had the option and would have been an amazing idea with those tiles but from what I understand, they aren't vectors.

What would really help give vectors I push I think would be something like an MMX technology that is just for vectors or even a x87-style chip.

For those curious, MMX is a part of the CPU that tells the CPU when its going to be seeing the same math code to just keep the line in code and just change what is needed, ie x + 2. This was introduced in Pentiums way back way and was a godsend for compressed video and audio since the compression code never changed, only a little part for the current place in the music/video. Things like MP3's suddenly played a lot better with a lot less power compared to a mostly equal 486 system.

And the x87 chip is a extra chip that is now a part of your CPU and is solely a calculator to help speed up CPU number crunching. Before the 486 (or was it the 386?), the x87 chip was not a standard part and was sold as an extra part. Similar to your GPU, helps take code off the CPU to improve performance.

News Comments > SimCity Trailer
2. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 11, 2012, 21:28 Kitkoan

Quboid wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 21:26:
The way they're spinning multi-city play is getting annoying. I've yet to see anything to suggest they just can't make it handle large enough single cities. Not that that's a bad thing. If the simulation is so deep that there isn't the resources left for larger cities, that's fair enough, I think that's a trade-off worth taking.

Is there any other reason why they're only allowing cities equivalent to SC4's medium sized ones? Is it a ham-fisted attempt for force people to play multiplayer? I doubt it, for a start you can just run all the cities yourself and it's like SC4. Why would they want to get people to play multiplayer anyway, to get people hooked to Origin?

There's plenty of warning signs with this, but I still think Simcity looks promising and I expect to enjoy it despite what flaws it will have.

It still sounds like always online DRM trying to be named anything else but what it really is. Always online DRM.

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Launches
15. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 22:06 Kitkoan

necrosis wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 22:01:
Here is the problem with this.

There are no settings in games for 'gamepad only' players as far as I know. So anyone using a controller is going to be at a serious disadvantage in MP games.

If I remember, most FPS MP games tend to give controller players a basic autoaim to help against mouse/keyboard players.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Tablets Nov 26, 2012, 16:13 Kitkoan

My Android tablet is my ultra portable computer. I use it for light Web surfing, games and studying. I will also being using it for programming soon (AIDE app). It is my ereader and portable game player (the phone gets enough messages and calls that it's not as useful for that.) Watch movies and YouTube on the couch or just out and about.It holds a charge a lot better and long then my laptop and I have a CamelBak backpack that has a sleeve pocket that was supposed to be for a soft water bottle that holds the tablet perfectly. Throw it in and off I go.

Since I'm learning computer arts and programming I find it invaluable since I can follow along the lessons in the ebook/video without having to stop the video and/or minimize the current lesson to access the program needed. Having the lessons on top of the learning surface is really hard to study with I found.

Now, does this mean it replaces my laptop? No. In fact if I had to choose, I would choose the laptop first. But I feel it's a nice complement to the laptop. And this is something I always tell people when they ask me about buying a tablet that it doesn't do enough to replace a computer but it is nice.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
11. Re: Sunday Mobilization Nov 26, 2012, 15:45 Kitkoan

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 10:19:
Kitkoan wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 19:54:
Long story short, he's returning it for an Alienware laptop. And he's already looking at replacing his iPhone for an Android, etc... Too many problems with Apple products. You wouldn't notice the issues if you replace them every year, but if you don't, it's bad. Laptops that overheat easily, now screens that all but self destruct, home buttons that break after a year rendering the iPhone useless, etc... Add to it the crappy customer service now and there isn't any reason to buy Apple.

Well, there's fashion which is the primary reason their products are selling the volumes they are right now. Not that Apple's going to crash and go anywhere any time soon but their current growth path is not sustainable, it's a fashion trend.

If you want to see where their quality is these days, take a look at a Twitter feed called @applenag. It's a guy who has been a loyal Apple user since the early 80s and has multiple iPhones, iPads and Macs. And he deals with issues constantly that are common among power users of any platform. The difference being that most Apple fanbois sweep them under the rug or brush them off, lest they tarnish the image of their favourite perfect company, this guy states them all plainly (though I admit, I'm sure he over embellishes some of them for dramatic effect). Apple products have the same kinds of issues related to quality in both hardware and software as most other electronics do. They're not worse but they aren't nearly as better as the company, their fanbois (and especially their prices) would have you believe.

Major thing is though is I don't recall this many issues within such a short amount of time. This indicates a sudden drop in quality.

As for being for fashion, it's a dangerous game to play, more so since more are complaining of how boring iOS has become. And I'm not talking about techie users, my talking about basic users are starting to complain and looking towards android phones (I think Samsung has a lot to do with it since they tend to show what Android can do in their commercials. Basic users are noticing that yes, Android is a fully functional smartphone with bells and whistles.) Apple needs to try something new or they will be out of fashion and I think they are afraid to change. From what I've seen, even OSX hasn't really changed in 10 years.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
8. Re: Sunday Mobilization Nov 26, 2012, 00:15 Kitkoan

Jensen wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 20:41:
Apple releases a notebook with a display with more than twice as many pixels as any other notebook display ever, and with much better viewing angles than 99% of the competition.
One of them has a defect, and this means Apple products are taking a nosedive in quality?

When to start with you made up half your claim of quality and this is a known issue with this series and isn't just a problem with this one unit, yes.

One is a lemon, many of them is poor quality.

And the problem isn't limited to this one device. Macbook have always had overheating issues, they are getting worse now. Ghosting is also a horrible issue on the new displays. iPhone 5s were coming scratched or damage inside the box before people opened them. Water triggers on iPhone have been found to be pre triggered to avoid warranties, the one set of iPhone had antenna issues, the iPad 3 has issues with jumping between Wifi and 3g/LTE, siri is still a bad beta, Apple maps issues, each new version of OSX has been causing more problems then fixing with things like battery life dropping, iOS has the same problems. Shall I continue the list of Apples nose dive in quality?

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2012, 00:23.

685 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo