Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kitkoan

Real Name Kitkoan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kitkoan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2010, 04:28
Total Comments 671 (Apprentice)
User ID 56087

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
3. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jun 15, 2014, 19:31 Kitkoan

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 15:45:
Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 13:58:
"We'll just let the NSA look into them."

Yeah we can't help but think there is a loop hole here, NSA, hired 3rd Party no named MS. It's what they get when we are lied to, trust is hard to gain back.

There is no loophole. As per the article:

"“We don’t use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, to target advertising to you,” Section 3.4 of the Services Agreement says. “We don’t use your documents, photos or other personal files to target advertising to you. Our advertising policies are covered in detail in the Privacy Statements.”

Microsoft won't use it for advertising. That's all they say. They said nothing about NSA spying, third parties being able to peek for targeted ads, or cookies identifying you from places you surf to your email account to tailor that information to ads.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
5. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jun 8, 2014, 23:37 Kitkoan

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 20:04:
I was at an IT conference and I was presenting. There were 100 IT presenters in the audience. At the end I finished and looked at them. I said hey guys I have one questions for you all:

"Do you like windows 8?"

I just had to ask the room since there was so many IT people with years of experience.

THEY BOOED AND CATCALLED. Apparently they hate it.

Either windows goes back to something like 7 or we need to get rid of Microsoft period. Eliminate them.

Get rid of Microsoft and replace it with what?

Can't put the horse before the cart and all that

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2014, 21:16 Kitkoan

The sample we’ve analyzed is in the form of an application called ‘Sex xionix’. It was not found on the official Google Play and we estimate that its prevalence is very low at this time.

Too bad the first article failed to mention that part. But then, it wouldn't be click-bait if they didn't.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 3, 2014, 13:46 Kitkoan

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 12:41:
Pigeon wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 09:07:
Now you can play Candy Crush with 8xAA, 16xAF and full detailed shadows!!

Or you can play PC ports like "XCOM: Enemy Unknown" with 8xAA, 16xAF and full detailed shadows!!

With on screen controls? Good luck

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jun 1, 2014, 01:17 Kitkoan

mag wrote on May 31, 2014, 15:16:
It's not like they have the ability to reprogram all of these old games. The source code of some of them doesn't even exist anymore! I'm perfectly okay with Wine.

It's not about the older games, it's the newer ones like Witcher 2 that is the concern. It was wrapped in a WINE shell, and so suffers massive power issues. One of those games that I MIGHT be able to get 20 FPS on lowest settings if I run it on Linux, but I know (having done it) I can get 30-40 FPS on max settings at 1080p.

Now, if you are a beginner to Linux and you're trying to use it for gaming, this doesn't look good and seems to do everything it can to make Linux look much slower then Windows.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 29, 2014, 21:40 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on May 29, 2014, 20:53:
Don't really care for curved TVs, (well, maybe a very modest curve), but a ultra widescreen curved desktop monitor? Bring it!

When I saw the curved TVs in Korea last month, that was my first though (they were also beside the ultra wide monitors).

Curved TVs would be amazing for a single user (like a monitor, ultra wide who can sit in the center of the screen) but for many people its not as great an idea.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2014, 18:42 Kitkoan

Trashy wrote on May 27, 2014, 10:08:
The Order: 1886 delayed to 2015.

129 Years and we made fun of Duke Nukem: Forever's dev cycle.

One hell of an order right there...

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 25, 2014, 17:54 Kitkoan

crypto wrote on May 25, 2014, 15:23:
Cox Joins Push for Ultrafast Broadband. Thanks Slashdot.

Is it just me or does the article fadeout and registration required to read the rest?

Do a Google seach for "Cox Joins Push for Ultrafast Broadband" and click the first link. It will get you around the paywall.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 23, 2014, 17:57 Kitkoan

WaltC wrote on May 23, 2014, 15:37:
If I was Microsoft I would not bother patching IE 8--what's the point? If people can't or won't download and use a newer free version of IE, then they probably aren't going to download the patch for IE 8, either, so, again, what's the point?

The fix ought to be "download IE 9 or above." Common sense. Microsoft is catering too much to dummies, these days.

Its a political move I think. They don't patch it, and they get a ton more bad press for security, even though people should have upgraded. Look at the flak they got for the first time they tried to retire XP (and the flak they are getting for having retired it now.)

This isn't Apple who can get a free ride for people not upgrading.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 17, 2014, 13:43 Kitkoan

Live CD's haven't been copied because of driver hell. If you made a Live image of either one and it had driver issues, it would make someone think twice about using that OS due to all the issues it would have. (though this never is taken into account when someone reviews Linux.)  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: RE: Follow up Apr 3, 2014, 22:43 Kitkoan

Verno wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 16:38:
UConnBBall wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 16:09:
I also hate Apple and hate lazy devlopers who are just kissing money good-bye. Port it to Android and not the 12% market share iOS.

The 12% iOS share represents the majority of revenue is the problem we keep hearing from developers though. I don't know if this is piracy, device fragmentation or whatever but they make a lot more money on iOS unfortunately.

I've heard different answers from different groups, but when you look at the hard numbers you notice that the ones that state that iOS gave them more money was when they made really piss-poor ports to Android and then wondered why the money wasn't just pouring in.

7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 23, 2014, 22:35 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2014, 20:39:
I think part of the problem is that it was a he-said-she-said issue, since people were just guessing that ISPs were throttling traffic.

It had been shown many times that it was the ISP throttling by using a VPN. Load up Netflix like normal and have major issues with bandwidth. Now load up the VPN and watch Netflix in it's full glory. Showed it wasn't a bandwidth issue, it was an ISP issue.

5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 23, 2014, 22:02 Kitkoan

DrSquick wrote on Mar 23, 2014, 19:35:
I don't understand why they are so passive about this though. If they know a certain ISP is throttling them, why not throw a giant banner on every movie saying "We detected you are a XXX customer, they are throttling your connection to us which will result in poor performance, call 1-800-xxx-xxxx and let them know you will not accept that."

I understand they have to stay in business, but make life hell for the ISPs. Make them hire a thousand more customer service reps to take the angry calls from people.

I know my parents would just say "damn, Netflix is slow today." If they could instead redirect that anger toward their ISP it might be more useful!

If they did that, people wouldn't care or understand. They would be just like your parents saying "Damn Netflix, is slow today". And would be more looking towards switching to that nice and fast Comcast streaming service on their Comcast internet.

When it comes to tech, people don't want the facts, just results.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
14. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 21, 2014, 23:42 Kitkoan

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 07:30:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 00:33:
Kitkoan wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 00:01:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 21:04:
"The Lowest Possible Score In 'Super Mario Bros.'"

What kind of shenanigans is this? The 4-2 warp zone is not accessed via a pipe.

So I'm not the only one who noticed that...

Within 20 seconds you can tell it is a mame/modded game.

It is a glitch in the game that you can do with even the NES version. There are actually a couple different ways to do this:

http://themushroomkingdom.net/bugs/5

And neither one of those were used.

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 21, 2014, 00:01 Kitkoan

ViRGE wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 21:04:
"The Lowest Possible Score In 'Super Mario Bros.'"

What kind of shenanigans is this? The 4-2 warp zone is not accessed via a pipe.

So I'm not the only one who noticed that...

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2014, 20:59 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 19:50:
Cutter wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 18:04:
No Blue, the Japanese do not count other countries. All those Asian countries are incredibly closed off, xenophobic and racist.

That used to be true, but it's changing. The young generation have much less ill will or hatred toward other Asians compared to their parents and grandparents. Even mainland China is opening up. There is much cultural exchange and friendship between individuals in South Korea, Taiwan, and Japan for instance. Even gov't policy is changing, such as the Japanese letting "Koreans" born and raised in Japan become Japanese. One exception to this is the North Koreans, but not without reason. The DPRK has kidnapped Japanese and flown missiles over Japan. They go out of their way to inspire hatred.

I have to agree with this. The lady is South Korean, and so I've gone with her to Korea. I noticed that people in their 40's and up tended to be... less then impressed with me arm in arm with a South Korean woman. 30's and younger typically didn't care (or thought how great looking I was. Great when you can translate what they are saying...), or thought it was nice to see us so happy. They didn't care about the differences.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
6. Re: Evening Interviews Feb 20, 2014, 20:47 Kitkoan

Problem with things like this about indie games and the future is they want to point out games like Flappy Bird, Minecraft, Super Meat Boy, and Braid while ignoring the fact for every one of these, there are hundreds of clones of these games made by... dun dun dun... indies.

For every unique indie maker, there are a ton just as quick to chase a buck like the big corps.

News Comments > Shadowrun: Dragonfall Delayed; Preorders Underway
9. Re: Shadowrun: Dragonfall Delayed; Preorders Underway Jan 28, 2014, 19:34 Kitkoan

I hope it will be better then the first game.

Was really disappointed in the Returns campaign. Wasn't a challenge as a fighter class, choices had no real effect so that killed multiple playthru value and was shorter then I expected it.

And what was worse was since I bought the Android version without looking (shame on me there) I didn't notice it doesn't have an editor (most likely so it would fall in line with the iOS version since I figure Apple would have denied it that ability or it would prevent most editor features beyond pre-built/defined ones from working). So play the campaign and then... replay it again with no real changes? Not much fun.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 23, 2014, 21:09 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 19:05:
What a pittance lobbying costs. Just consider the billions they get in return for the millions they spend. You'd think the fat cat politicians would be holding out for a lot more money. A lot more!

I'm quite curious what the money was spent lobbying for.

I'm fine with lobbying for net neutrally, as people stand to gain from this, and it works in line with many companies interests. Win win

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 18, 2014, 21:25 Kitkoan

Tom wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 19:55:
Kitkoan wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 17:07:
You've never dealt with the police before, have you?

Not quite that simple. They have no problems in using more... physical ways of "persuading" you for the information. Or arrest you on a sayso.

The super-paranoid know how to pass the wrench test. In theory.

The super-reality know that police still beat you and dump you in the middle of nowhere, without your phone or any other items they wish to take.

They just put a phonebook on you, and then pound away. The phonebook distributes the full force of the blow to you but displaces it enough to not leave any bruises or marks.

Takes experience to know these things. Not paranoia.

671 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo