Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kitkoan

Real Name Kitkoan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kitkoan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2010, 04:28
Total Comments 677 (Apprentice)
User ID 56087

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 28, 2012, 16:34 Kitkoan

killer_roach wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 16:28:
For Microsoft, their Xbox team is modestly profitable, but requires huge amounts of revenue for their meager margins (and possibly being a drain on the Windows team due to Microsoft de-emphasizing the PC as a gaming platform).

I think this was MS biggest mistake. Dumping their Windows market for a console market. Because of this, Windows was getting more used as just an "OS" which isn't much and this has hurt them much more then if they left the console market alone. While the XBox makes money, it isn't much compared to the loss of Windows sales. All that money should have been spent on improving Windows. Now Windows is "just an OS", and so OSX, Android, Linux and iOS are rising because they are also "just an OS" with Android and iOS leading the way because they focus on games. It doesn't matter what you think about video games, they are what really help sell an OS, and are the most commonly bought programs on any OS.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 28, 2012, 16:29 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 13:16:
Smart TV, lol. Probably from the same clowns that thought 3D was a good idea.

My roommate has one and he uses it for the built in Netflix more then anything else. About 95% of it's usage is Netflix which is part of being a Smart TV.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 28, 2012, 01:39 Kitkoan

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 01:08:
I would also like to warn anyone away from borrowing a Mumford and Sons CD.

Can I borrow your copy to see if it's really worth the crap-storm they are going to get for that legal warning?

News Comments > Boxing Day Mobilization
25. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 17:00 Kitkoan

mch wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 16:32:
No iMaps jokes yet?

Disappointed

I would, but people would just get lost

23. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 15:21 Kitkoan

John wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 08:43:
Kitkoan wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 20:37:
I am curious though, what is the long term costs of the iPads? Seems all those Apple devices have low build quality in the Home button (seems most don't live past a year, with two years being a rarity.) Everyone keeps wanting those to be the future, yet they keep having so many problems and issues with them.
I've got two iPhone 3G's (the 2nd gen model, not 3GS) and both their home buttons work fine still. One I actually just gave to a friend for his daughter and the other I use as a universal remote. I also have three newer iPhones (one is almost 3 years old) and an iPad with working home buttons.

Sure, I know some people have problems with them, but I would only say a small number do even after a year. Many of my co-workers own iPhones too and I have yet to hear of one having that issue. Most of them have the 4 or 4S which they keep for at least 2 years when they can get an upgrade. And typically they pass their old phone to their kids when they upgrade.

Most of the ones I've seen, after the cracked screens, the Home button is a very common issue. And it was also the biggest complaint on Ars Technica when asked what they wanted to see in the iPhone 5, a decent quality Home button (or removed and be more like Android).

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: 3D film making Dec 27, 2012, 15:11 Kitkoan

3D films are an oddball I feel.

They can be good... depending on the technology. And this is the issue. There isn't "one" 3d tech, there is a few kinds and they all are a little different.

I've used 3D tv's to watch movies here in Canada on display at shops and they are bad. The picture looks flickery and it gives me a headache quickly. When I was in South Korea, there was a 3D tv on display outside a store and decided to try it. It was amazing. Vivid picture, no flickering, no headache, it really felt like it was there right to the point that it looked like I could touch the flower petals and butterflies shown (it was some K-Pop star music video, very over the top girly...) And that 3D tv made me see why people talk about 3D tv's because that was amazing... but I don't know the tech used in it and so no dice.

19. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 04:47 Kitkoan

SectorEffector wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 04:32:
Okay I'll wait for a month of "Pro apple" news to take over the entire site.. then maybe.. I'll think you're right about this particular tidbit. Until then...

Any perceptive individual can browse to that site right now and read more then enough fun information without having to deal with stupid iSupport for that apple.

The worst that happens is one of the editors there is an avid iphone user and forgets to mention Android versions or comparative Android versions to what they review.

Just playing DA here.

Why wait a month? Lets try now on the main site.

How to offload your iTunes library to a NAS
The music industry dropped DRM years ago. So why does it persist on e-books? Why only show iPhone and iPad? Why not the more universal Kindle? Only Apple gear here.
Where OS X security stands after a volatile 2012
iPad cooking app showdown: holiday week edition
Apple lifts block on combo 30-pin+Lightning charging accessories
From Karateka to Cubasis, 8 new iOS apps worth a try
Steve Jobs wanted Apple’s browser Safari called “Freedom”
iOS 6.0.2 suspected of draining batteries

Go look at the comments in each section. See which ones get the most comments, see which ones have the most trolling on each side. See which ones get modded up and down.

Apple even has it's own sub-section on Ars, and only Apple does http://arstechnica.com/apple/

This is the list of sections:
Information Technology
TECHNOLOGY LAB
Product News & Reviews
GEAR & GADGETS
Business of Technology
MINISTRY OF INNOVATION
Security & Hacktivism
RISK ASSESSMENT
Civilization & Discontents
LAW & DISORDER
The Apple Ecosystem
INFINITE LOOP
Gaming & Entertainment
OPPOSABLE THUMBS
Science & Exploration
THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD

17. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 04:27 Kitkoan

SectorEffector wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 04:18:
Kitkoan wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 20:37:
SectorEffector wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 19:45:
I'm so proud of you guys, first post with iPad or Apple in it and nobody is lamblasting a consumer who purchases an apple product.

Normally I spend most of my time getting lost in useless arguments about absolutely asinine specifics of things while bigger points get lost.

Actual discussion? wow we are starting to seem like ArsTechnica here.

No, Apple Technica would blindly ignore anything that shows Apple in a less then positive life.

I am curious though, what is the long term costs of the iPads? Seems all those Apple devices have low build quality in the Home button (seems most don't live past a year, with two years being a rarity.) Everyone keeps wanting those to be the future, yet they keep having so many problems and issues with them.

You must have Ars confused with somewhere else, theres plenty of fighting on both sides, and editorially they have the same dislikes with apple products that other sites will generally have.

Well I'm talking about http://arstechnica.com which is well known by its nickname "Apple Technica". What site are you talking about?

While it's been a little less pro-apple lately, its still pretty blindly pro-apple

9. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2012, 20:37 Kitkoan

SectorEffector wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 19:45:
I'm so proud of you guys, first post with iPad or Apple in it and nobody is lamblasting a consumer who purchases an apple product.

Normally I spend most of my time getting lost in useless arguments about absolutely asinine specifics of things while bigger points get lost.

Actual discussion? wow we are starting to seem like ArsTechnica here.

No, Apple Technica would blindly ignore anything that shows Apple in a less then positive life.

News Comments > Christmas Legal Briefs
14. Re: Christmas Legal Briefs Dec 25, 2012, 23:27 Kitkoan

This  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2012, 19:15 Kitkoan

I'm surprised the THQ Collection is on the list after considering the Humble Bundle THQ just passed.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 22, 2012, 14:26 Kitkoan

Like all of apple designs, its looks sterile like a hospital surgery room. Nothing organic, no colours, nothing to make it look or "feel" alive and/or warming.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 21, 2012, 01:13 Kitkoan

ViRGE wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 00:42:
Kitkoan wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 23:50:
Seems to happen with every update from Apple...
That's the thing. It doesn't really happen, people just suddenly start using their phone a lot more and suspect something is wrong as a result.

That might be with a x.0.0 version, but it happens with x.0.x versions with it not always having been a problem with x.0.0 which more points towards a coding issue and not a user issue. The newness of a major versions wears out by the time of x.0.1/2 and if thats when there is a battery drain then its more likely a device/code fault.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 20, 2012, 23:50 Kitkoan

Seems to happen with every update from Apple...  

News Comments > Steam for Linux Beta Opens
13. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 00:17 Kitkoan

Jivaro wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 00:14:
Is the 32/64 bit thing the bigger deal rather then the distro?

Distro is a massive difference then 32/64 bit.

11. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 00:12 Kitkoan

Jivaro wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 00:10:
I guess what I am not understanding is why people (on the Valve boards) would complain about it not working on anything other then what it claims to work on. I might be misinterpreting something, but the beta was intended for a specific version of Ubuntu. I don't know, maybe I am missing something, but I read the forums and people complain about having problems trying to use hardware and software that isn't supported by the beta...and I guess that just doesn't seem all that helpful in terms of the development process.

Don't misunderstand me, I get it...people want it to work on their preferred hardware and on their preferred flavor of Linux...but it makes sense to me that Valve would pick a particular direction, get it working on that...and then go from there.

Because some people focused on the word "Linux" and thought it would support all flavors of Linux, not just Ubuntu.

And its very rare to find a Linux program that really only works on just one distro only.

7. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 19, 2012, 22:52 Kitkoan

Been using it for a while myself.

I find that its smoother then Windows 7 (I have my games listed as tiles and scrolls much smoother for me).

Games have been iffy with it though.

I'm also using Ubuntu 12.04 x64.

I did a training mission with Team Fortress 2 and it ran like a champ.

Killing Floor is a quick and dirty port and it shows in many ways. It runs on the Unreal engine which doesn't support Linux, so you get many errors and just odd things (like Direct X is a selectable graphic option). The floors sometimes don't show, my flashlight has transparency problems (instead of it being a see thru light, its a gray square where ever the light lands, blocking everything it shines on), runs really slow (on Windows I can max it out and run smooth, Medium for Linux), can't see through the scope on a crossbow (again with it being an issue with transparencies, it looks like you forgot to remove the lens cap...) and a few random issues. While nothing game breaking, it isn't the most fun.

Dungeons of Dredmor plays good but has random slowdowns/freezes for like 30 seconds. And screen size options are much more limited (on Windows I can choose almost every option between 800x600 to 1920x1080, on Linux I can choose either 800x600, 1280x768 (I think it was) and 1920x1080.) A bit annoying for me since I like playing in a Window and 1280x768 is too small on my 15 inch 1080p screen, but isn't big enough for 1920x1080 window.

Swords and Sworcery plays great after I had to move a file (someone on the Steam forums gave me a cut-n-paste code which fixed it). It seems to fix many of the issues for 64bit user but not all people and not all the time.

Space Chem just doesn't work. The file is bad (and its a Wine wrapped file). Replacing the .exe with the one from the .deb file of the Humble Bundle fixed it.

While I have most of the Linux games listed, I haven't tried the rest. Most of them seem to be just quick Wine wrapper games, and a few are just there but no one made sure to even see if they even run.

News Comments > Steam Stops Selling The War Z
40. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 19:26 Kitkoan

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 19:05:
Dev wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 19:05:
Jivaro wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 17:33:
This story just gets weirder... I mean, I am not even sure this is true or if it is just "piling on"...but still...wow...
It would be easy enough to see if its true. Someone with the game, start it up and see if the image is whats shown in that story. If it is, then its plagiarism.
It isn't true.

That is the loading screen.

According to the article, it isn't the loading screen that has the issue. It was their promo screen (being the top picture of War Z and their tag line "The Infestation Begins This Fall")

News Comments > Steam Stops Selling The War Z
37. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 19:05 Kitkoan

Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 15:35:
Yep. They've not been a bad place to get refunds from, but I can't remember them having announced them other than one instance for a game I forgot.

Creston

The game was From Dust.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 18, 2012, 23:10 Kitkoan

SectorEffector wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 18:18:
DangerDog wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 15:12:
If I were Google I would have slapped on a .99 charge for the maps app, a special idiot tax for buying an Apple product in the first place.

Or I would do something crazy like have it take your personal data and sell it to advertisers, that'll show those idiot apple users for buying a device they wanted with their money.

That already happens. May I show you iAds?

677 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo