Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kitkoan

Real Name Kitkoan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kitkoan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2010, 04:28
Total Comments 674 (Apprentice)
User ID 56087

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 7, 2013, 21:23 Kitkoan

DangerDog wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 20:17:
Apple displays failing because they don't use Samsung anymore? I think they also took them off the procurement list for batteries as well.

A couple people in the link I showed say they have Samsung displays and they are also having the dead pixel issue as well. Ghosting seemed to be limited to the LG ones but the dead pixels is found in all.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 7, 2013, 16:25 Kitkoan

My room mate has one of those new rmbp.... Biggest piece of trash ever. If they don't have ghosting issues with their screens then it's pixels dying. Six months and third one later... (here's one of many threads about the dead pixel issue that most media didn't want to acknowledge https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4224029?start=0&tstart=0 great they will replace it... For how long and if your not near an apple store the means every few months your laptop is gone for 2 or 3 weeks.

Wow, just a troll article in a lot of places. A big part of their score comes from their "reviews". Like those are never biased...
Display, again ghosting is horrible on a majority of the rmbp, the airs are running cheap tft panels (but this will tell you they are amazing none the less...)
Thunderbolt was considered an innovation? It's considered a flop by most everyone else, and was pretty much dropped by most everyone for the fact it's been a flop. Again, the retina screen isn't innovation if it's got such issues as ghosting and dead pixels again. It's more beta than anything.
Software being OSX, that's a hard argument since not everyone likes using osx even, one of the reasons of boot camp.

Some of the "scoring" has no reason being scored like the reviews part since someone's first impression means zero about the reality of a laptop, and others ignored facts that should be taken into consideration. Yet such is normal with sites like these nowadays.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2013, 16:40.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 6, 2013, 11:07 Kitkoan

avianflu wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 10:42:
Yup, price matters for most folks.

Otoh, Apple-centric will continue to buy ipads to keep everything synced with minimal effort. Cant blame them for that.

While you can't blame people for that part, mass media will still lie to the public about apple and keep declaring that is what made everything first, and oh so innovative, etc...

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 5, 2013, 15:51 Kitkoan

DangerDog wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 13:33:
still too expensive for that brick.

I think the biggest issue is the developers made one thing, and the marketers didn't understand and tried to market it as something completely different.

Serious, the Surface Pro is an amazing art and design tablet that if it had been marketed as that would have become the mandatory laptop at any and every art and design school. It can run Photoshop and other full graphics programs, has a 1080p screen with a stylus that is pressure sensitive, has a decent battery life and is ultra portable. There is literally nothing on the market this advanced for art and design.

To bad marketing didn't understand that and tried passing it off as a laptop... Biggest screwup there.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 5, 2013, 14:27 Kitkoan

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 14:04:
What exactly were people expecting from the Ouya? It appears to have turned out exactly as I expected..

Maybe I just missed it somewhere, but I didn't expect it to be it's own market. I expected it to maybe have an app that would show me Ouya ready apps that would link to the Play store. Like the NVidia Tegra app.

By making it it's own private market, it pretty much killed any and all hope to survive. They were too small for that.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 4, 2013, 18:01 Kitkoan

Creston wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 15:49:
Raptor wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 15:41:
I can't imagine what the benefits are for doing these stupid console stupidities,

Rumor has it that Microsoft pays in the tens of millions of dollars for that stupid "exclusive" period of theirs, so to a dev/publisher that's just KA-CHING.

At least they put SOME effort into Skyrim. They've patched it quite a few times, and actually listened to the community and implemented some of the more logical fixes for the PC (the 4+GB optimization, the scripting optimization etc.)

Who knows, maybe next time they'll actually treat the PC as the lead platform, since by now it has undoubtedly outsold both console versions combined by a huge margin. But they likely won't. Dicks.

To a big business, hardware-based DRM is better then software based DRM. So consoles are always first. Exactly why they program for the iOS console first and then the Android computer. Hardware-based DRM. Doesn't matter who makes it, companies always rush for DRM-locks.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
10. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 4, 2013, 17:56 Kitkoan

Beamer wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 17:35:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 16:48:
Of course it's because it's Apple (US) vs Samsung (NON-US) and Apple being given a free pass on patents it violated while it's doing the EXACT same thing to Samsung, even in US courts.

This has nothing to do with fixing patents, it's rigging the legal system for the benefit of US companies vs the rest of the world.

Fail to see what's positive about that....

See: FRAND.

See refusing to pay what is FR in FRAND.

News Comments > etc., etc.
11. Re: etc., etc. Aug 3, 2013, 22:07 Kitkoan

NeOCidE wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 19:39:
Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 16:31:
NeOCidE wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 07:47:
Yeah this is a very nice collection to own.
I never played morrowind or daggerfall, so that would be nice to go through. I didn't like Oblivion much. Not sure why, think it may have been to do with lots of cutting and pasting. Maybe I didn't give it a chance?

Oblivion is pretty generic, though if you install Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul it becomes a ton better. Personally I think Morrowind is still the best RPG out of all three of them, though I enjoyed myself far more in Oblivion and Skyrim.

I wouldn't bother with daggerfall, unless the idea of an actual 10.000km by 10.000km landmass excites you. (with basically nothing but procedurally generated boring shit in it.)

Creston

Thanks for the heads up Creston
I'll take your advice and try out morrowind. I'm assuming like Skyrim that there's a wealth of mods available that will bring the textures to more modern times.

http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/

News Comments > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Demo
6. Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Demo Jul 31, 2013, 23:21 Kitkoan

entr0py wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 23:13:
Besides, Steam's offline mode is already a bit of a farce since you have to go online to activate offline mode.

Not always in the past few months. I've gotten it to work sometimes. But I'll admit that it's very hit or miss.

News Comments > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Demo
2. Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Demo Jul 31, 2013, 21:32 Kitkoan

Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

Always online DRM... nice...

News Comments > BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned
25. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 16:53 Kitkoan

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 14:37:
As crappy as this DLC might seem, just remember... It's better than multiplayer map packs! (BioShock 2)

Will it be already on the disc though?

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: When 'Smart Homes' Get Hacked Jul 28, 2013, 19:38 Kitkoan

Bill Borre wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 17:03:
I saw a really crappy movie in the 80s that sorta had this premise. This serial killer gets electrocuted and his ghost travels over the electrical wires to kill more victims through appliance malfunctions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Machine_(film)

Was a bad movie, I remember that one...

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
15. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 22:04 Kitkoan

If I remember correctly, things like the overclocking block preventing you from over clocking your system is just a bad side effect for what it's real idea was. To prevent shady companies from overclocking the chips to just below unstable levels and the raising the prices and selling them as faster computers. This was a bigger problem in I think the early 90s but sometimes the system was over clocked and unstable, and/or the cpus life span was shortened from the overclocking.
All in all, bad for business since it made the cpu maker look like they were selling crappy chips that were unstable and died soon.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 25, 2013, 14:40 Kitkoan

Pigeon wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 09:34:

I'd be curious to see how they stack up against other similarly priced headphones. At $300 they're in the same category as a lot of the big name audio mid-lines. If they're anything like Monster cables they're no different than products 1/10th their price

If I recall, they match up with the audio and build quality of headphones in the $150 range. At $300, you can easily buy better but like more and more people today, all the care about is the price and assume that the higher the price must equal that much more better of a device.

You do get what you pay for... to a point. But there is also the point of paying for a label and thats all.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns Jul 25, 2013, 14:23 Kitkoan

MattyC wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 13:59:
Sounds pretty good so far. Though I am going to wait and hear a bit more before I snatch it up.

I'm waiting for it to hit Android, last I heard its been delayed a few weeks though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2013, 08:20 Kitkoan

PHJF wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 07:54:
Asians can't take a (hilarious) joke!

When a us airplane crash happens, it's not a joking matter any step of the way. But when it's another country then it's fine? Even more so when it's racist jokes?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2013, 18:19 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 14:44:
Death by cow. Wow.

I wonder if this is how it happened?

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 10, 2013, 21:33 Kitkoan

Tom wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 21:29:
A tnt panel? That sounds dangerous!

Oops, I meant tft, not tnt.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 10, 2013, 21:08 Kitkoan

No kidding that tablets are out selling computers. The thing most companies just can't seem to understand is that a tablet beats out a laptop in almost every way... For half the price.

People want a machine that can Web surf, play movies and music and some games which both devices can do. The problems come up though that on average:

A tablet gets around eight hours of battery, a laptop maybe three or four.

A tablet has an amazing screen that has a high resolution that makes things look crisp and clear. A laptop will typically be running a tnt panel that has a limited viewing angle or has color issues and will most likely be around 1440*760, half that of a tablet.

A tablet weights a pound or less. A laptop is four pounds or more.

People like touch screens which tablets have. Laptops typically don't.

So in the end is no big surprise why tablets sell and laptops don't as well. For a typical user they both do what they need but the tablet is altogether a better buy, even before the price tag comes into play.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 9, 2013, 16:40 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 13:41:
Tablets and smartphones will evolve to accommodate console-quality graphics, says EA's Gibeau.

Already, smartphones are powerful enough to run PS1-2 games, but we've not seen any of those ported, AFAIK.
GTA3, Vice City have already been ported over and they were PS2 games, FF4 Psp remake has also been ported which isn't the lowest power needed. The power is there, I think they are worried about sales since most games sell for $1-$2 which makes it unprofitable to make a major game.

674 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo