Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kitkoan

Real Name Kitkoan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kitkoan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2010, 04:28
Total Comments 678 (Apprentice)
User ID 56087

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech
11. Re: NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech Oct 18, 2013, 17:10 Kitkoan

They forgot to mention the usual problem with things like this.

Requires: Windows 7/8

Not compatible with Linux because we don't care, that's all.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 17, 2013, 23:30 Kitkoan

Alamar wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 17:57:
Eirikrautha wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 15:38:
"Ditching Apple for Android? What you need to know." brought to you by Apple PR, Inc.

I mean, let's make changing over sound as painful and dangerous as possible ("What about all those apps you might lose? Oh NOES!!!11!!one!!!" Shocked2 Shocked2 Shocked2 ).

Please. I've got Samsung and iPhones in the family... there's not that much difference any more...

I skipped the vid, but I didn't read anything exaggerated or biased in the article...

Also, apps are the main reason people stick with their current OS, whichever it may be...

-Alamar

There are a few comments that stuck out.

"Apple tries to make it very simple and focused, whereas Android is all about customization and flexibility," Edelson said. "It can get overwhelming for the average consumer switching from Apple to Android. A technophile may be best suited for Android."

This is one of those seriously odd comments that are heavily parroted by Apple users. Android can be altered, but it doesn't need to. But apple users like this seem to feel some OCD urge that makes it some mandatory need to alter Android and try to project it to others that if you buy an Android device that you'll have to create your own launcher settings an and all that, and somehow an Android device won't work until you do. I have Nexus Android devices and don't customize them because I don't need to, they don't need it.

"In fact, about 99.9 percent of all new mobile phone malware targets Android, according to the security firm Kaspersky Lab. So once you purchase an Android it's in your best interest to download an anti-virus software program that will scan your device for any threats, he said."

Troll bait commentary. This company has also complained about malware on ios and they should be able to sell their anti-virus on ios as well (note: ios has malware too, apple is more quiet about it, and researchers have shown its not hard to get malware on the Apple app store)

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 11, 2013, 19:51 Kitkoan

Redmask wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 14:21:
So you sit there with a tablet propped up and a controller? Why not just skip the middle man and get a proper handheld? That seems very awkward.

I have my tablet in a roocase which can prop itself up, and my tablet is always with me and a lot more functional then my NDS or PSP saw, with a better screen. Longer battery life, save state, etc...

It's not as awkward as you might think.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Reboot for OS X This Year
5. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot for OS X This Year Oct 11, 2013, 08:00 Kitkoan

Breadman86 wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 05:47:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 00:18:
Don't people who want to game on a mac just dual boot with windows?

Windows requires a minimum of 30gb partitioned, not including whatever other programs you want to install. Most MacBooks (which is Apple's most sold computer type) top out at 250gb of HD space. If you want to dual boot using your macbook to play PC games, you should probably partition about 100gb, leaving only 150gb for the mac. We all know 150gb isn't a whole lot.

I literally just this week gave up and partitioned 100gb for Windows7 and PC games on my 500gb Macbook Pro. 500gb gives me a bit more freedom to do it, but I do so much video editing in OSX that I really need as much space as possible. As a PC gamer who only has a mac at the moment (for reasons not worth explaining here), I'm joyous any time a major game comes out on OSX.

That's what I did with my Windows/Linux dual boot (I have a 750gb hdd though.

My brother on the other hand for his Mbp decided to buy an external usb3 hdd to install his Steam games since usb3 is fast enough to keep up with loading. So when he installs a game he tells Stream to install it to a custom folder on the external hdd and makes sure to plug in the hdd whenever he boots into Windows.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Sexualized avatars affect the real world, researchers find. Oct 11, 2013, 07:53 Kitkoan

Axis wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 18:37:
I know this based on the bazillions of game hours I've played making the most stupidest looking avatars possible, when possible cause it's WAY more funny and ultimately more cool...

Hehe, I've done this in Guild Wars 2, my guy walks around in a fully hot pink (I think that exact color) outfit.

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 11, 2013, 07:49 Kitkoan

I personally use a Nexus 10 with a micro USB to usb connector to plug in my ps3 controller for emulators.

PSX, NDS, She's, etc... All work with the controller perfectly so no fighting onscreen controls unless I'm charging the tablet (can't plug in controller and charge since only one connector.) Xbox controller isn't as good as the emulators don't seem to ever see the back trigger buttons (L2/R2) though I think it's an Android driver issue for the Xbox controller.

And the Humble Bundles show up randomly with Android games.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: 5 ridiculous tech fees... Oct 10, 2013, 06:32 Kitkoan

My Internet company won't let me provide my own modem, I HAVE to rent theirs. They claim is to make sure that all modems are compatible and won't cause connection issues and whatever...  

News Comments > SteamOS Announced
94. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 19:59 Kitkoan

wtf_man wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 19:05:
Someone on Ars Technica posted this:
Linux is the future of gaming, so long as it is no longer called Linux, is locked down from outside control, and will stream stuff from the Steam Store (but no word of streaming games purchased through GoG or other vendors?

Let me put it this way: if and when Steam allows other storefronts without SteamOS, then I will believe the cries of "open source" were anything but marketing material.

I pretty much agree. This looks like their own "Walled Garden" that they were bitching of MS doing, on an OS base that is supposed to be "Open". Talk about ironic... and potentially hippocratical.

That said... a PS4 will already be in my living room... which is a huge step for me since I mostly hate consoles... or to be more accurate... gaming pads.

From the Steam page itself:
"Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want."

Kinda goes in the opposite direction of what your suggesting.

90. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 18:59 Kitkoan

goatman wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 17:50:
At the very least this should help the linux community with greater exposure to hardware issues and hopefully the continuation of better accelerated graphic improvements and driver adaptation.

I've got a spare box that should run this OS well and I will throw together a box to see how it performs.

When you buy a Linux machine, you don't get these issues. It's one of those really pro/con things of Linux.

People want to slap Linux on anything and expect it to work out of the box, but you don't get people expecting the same thing from other OS's. They fully expect to buy the OS with the system. In most cases, it does work but you get that rare kink.

You don't get reviews of people taking the new Linux laptop from System76, and using it to review either Windows or OSX because suddenly those systems wouldn't look so nice (really true for OSX) and thus not a fair review. But do a review of Linux like this and suddenly this is considered a fair review.

78. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:40 Kitkoan

saluk wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 17:32:
I would imagine most of the improvements steamos can bring to the linux world will be applicable to whatever desktop linux you are using. This didn't happen with android (what linux benefits did that bring again?) but from what I gather, steamos is more linux than android is.

Android brought quite a few benefits to Linux.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/09/linux/

When Google started giving back Android code to Linux it jumped in code donations. Must have been at least some good code and benefits.

74. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:21 Kitkoan

DanteUK wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 17:00:
Irony: techies hate Windows 8 because it's dumbed down and designed for a touch screen that the vast majority don't have - but instead they like the idea of an OS dumbed down to basically only browse and play games on a TV with a controller!

I must have missed that part of SteamOS only running Stream.

The page does mention "Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want." which gives me the opposite impression though. I might default load Steam in Big Picture mode but most likely be able to turn that off all together and use it as a full blown Linux OS.

64. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:48 Kitkoan

Flo wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 16:40:
Will Steam Big Picture still crash randomly on it? I've put my alienware laptop next to my TV running big picture on it. I like playing games with the xbox controller on it but it's still not as smooth as a console (I'm looking at YOU ubisoft with your stupid U play interruptions). Anyway, it has to be 100% hassle free to succeed and I just can't imagine this with Linux. Prove me wrong!

The crashing could be your video card, but not sure.

As for you can't imagine this with Linux, why not?

60. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:26 Kitkoan

DangerDog wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 16:16:
It would have to be streamed, there's no way MS would just sit back and let them emulate DirectX 11.x on Linux

More likely they will push for OpenGL, and since it's more compatible with Android, OSX/iOS this shouldn't be too hard a push.

And unlike OSX, they will be able to make sure that their OS is running the newest stable versions of OpenGL to make sure games can fully utilize OpenGL.

59. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:22 Kitkoan

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 16:15:
The potential of this really depends on what else Valve is announcing. I imagine that the SteamBox will be one of the other announcements, undoubtedly running SteamOS, and that game sharing will be the last one.

If Valve can get hardware partners onboard then that means that Steam could pose a serious threat to the XB1 and PS4, as they'll be stuck on outdated hardware for the next eight years. It won't take long for SteamBox to support 4K gaming, which is something Microsoft and Sony can't compete with.

PS - It would be nice if Valve really pushed SteamOS as an alternative to Windows, as Microsoft has become far too complacent. Gaming is one of the biggest obstacles to overthrowing Windows and Valve has the potential to change that.

With Valve controlling the entire OS, this could be very impressive depending on what they do with it.

From what I saw on the Steam page, there isn't much information of the final product but the customizing part was an interesting note.

If this is a Linux OS with Steam built in and API's to help push it towards gaming, this could really help with gaming. And if it is still a full blown Linux OS, it would help itself even more as it would help to sell itself as more then just games.

As this could help Valve make more money with Steam games sold, they will have the money to invest in this, and are more likely to be able to work closely with companies like NVidia and Intel for better driver support in newer products.

It will be interesting to see if they plan to make this a Linux Distro or another console, albet open console.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 23, 2013, 16:15 Kitkoan

Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 13:42:
Acersus!

Why not merge them to be "Asces?

56. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:13 Kitkoan

Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:26:
There are around 3500 games on Steam. If what he says is true, that several hundred of them are already running on SteamOS natively

There are 300 Linux native games on Steam, this is why he says hundreds.

News Comments > WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst
27. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 16:30 Kitkoan

BobBob wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 14:56:
People burn out on an MMOs. This is a surprise? I burn out on MMOs within 10 minutes. The only MMO that kept my attention for a longer period was City of Heroes (RIP). You know it's true, psychologically, economically, and physiologically, MMOs will have a negative impact on your life. Avoid any kind of game that keeps you staring at a screen or sitting down for more than an hour out of each day; same advice goes toward using social media.

I have to agree, people burn out of MMO's.

And it doesn't help they are quite similar so one feels like the next (even when WoW re-did it's opening world in the previous expansion, it didn't feel that different).

The other issue is, MMO's are built to be just that, Massively Multiplayer. And if you can't get enough people in the area's then it's not as fun. WoW has a lot of player... in the main cities looking for groups for dungeons.

And this is one of those reasons I haven't played GW2 in months. It was great when it first came out. I loved it. But as time went on, more people started getting higher level, and that meant that each area had less players and it just wasn't as fun anymore. No more major events with 25+ people. It became down to 15'ish players, then 10'ish, with the last time I tried I couldn't find more then 2 others to join in a major event which isn't enough. It has a lot of people, but they are spread out on different servers to prevent lag but that also means that there are less people in a map in total. 10,000 players (I don't know exactly how many, work with me) all around the level of 20 or less and the 10'ish beginning area's are packed and it's a blast because everyone can help everyone. Those same 10,000 players spread out amoung 100 area's.... not so packed, so less people to meet and work with. Not as much fun, more so when your in area's that are less prefered.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 12, 2013, 15:37 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 14:10:
Verno wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 10:14:
Microsoft: developers love 'consistent' Kinect in Xbox One.

More meaningless PR and platitudes, Microsoft seems incapable of relating to actual human beings. I'm not even opposed to motion tech itself, they just really need to stop trying to shoehorn it everywhere with no logic or reason. When you do that you end up with Ryse and the developers ended up gutting it.

How MS would respond: That's a great point and we're glad you brought it up. We're so excited that you and everyone else is so excited for all the upcoming Kinect games. It's going to revolutionize gaming and home entertainment. You'll wonder how you ever did anything without it!

Its possible quite a few developers are really excited about it. But it would also be more likely because they will have one thing in their head and find out it just doesn't work causing the Kinect to be worthless. It wasn't as used on XBox 360 because it wasn't always there.

Just like how so many were excited about the touch screen on the DS (that in the end, wasn't used most of the time because it wasn't what was imagined), the 3DS 3d function, the WiiMote which didn't work as well as hoped and wasn't well utilized well in most games, etc... (not to pick on Nintendo...

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Sep 11, 2013, 22:05 Kitkoan

It's so into the black that is gone into a black hole.  

News Comments > Wizardry on Steam
16. Re: Wizardry on Steam Sep 11, 2013, 17:14 Kitkoan

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 09:49:
Kitkoan wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 22:34:
JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 22:31:
Whenever I want to buy an older game, I check GoG first, then Steam. I like to support GoG because without them, a lot of older games wouldn't be available for purchase.

To each their own. I prefer to look at Steam first because I'm more likely to support gaming on Linux.

Now you only need to convince Linux to support gaming on Linux.

*sigh* Just... Yeah...

678 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo