Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kitkoan

Real Name Kitkoan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kitkoan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2010, 04:28
Total Comments 677 (Apprentice)
User ID 56087

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p
21. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 9, 2014, 22:41 Kitkoan

Having just finished the game a little while ago, it's not bad. Wasn't great. They hinted at a lot of back story that, had it been explored more in depth, would have been great. But instead of doing this (and making the world feel more alive), they flip-flopped between characters too much and didn't give them room to grow.

The battle system is pretty to look at, but was pretty much "mash the button" and just flip to different classes as needed (and hope it didn't decide to use the extra-long switch mode which might get you killed since you need to heal...).

The level system was horrible designed. Was all about trying to make it look pretty, but wasn't great. The whole fact that levelling up was capped the entire game was the worst design choice....

*SPOILERS*

They had great story ideas with the purging of people but quickly dropped that idea to just focus on you being chased for becoming whatever-it-was called. When the people started to rebel, that was making it look up, but then they just... gave up? Stopped fighting? Was just gone (and now that I'm playing the sequel, it does make references that people lasted in that longer then the little battle you see).

Then could have helped build up with Sazh's son, what happened and how, and then the final ending... but he felt just thrown in too randomly that I didn't care really.

Snow wanting to be a "hero" just made him feel like a douchebag, and never did anything impressive. Just a loudmouth that talked himself up.

Serah, like Sazh's kid, felt wedged in.

Would have loved to see more about how the war 300 years in the past had effected the world instead making a odd garbage dumping area. Maybe have had it as a no-man's land/blackmarket city? Robot's that longed to go home? Anything more then being a mere foot note.

The major wasted effort was when you finally reached the town on the main world and it was empty. They have an amazing concept there, a town (that should have been larger) were everyone had been forced into a war they maybe didn't want, and lost causing them to become those monsters in it. Give the monsters some desire to want to be human agin, lingering memories, actions that would have given the players knowledge that these were the people whom lived there.

So much wasted potential...

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 9, 2014, 17:56 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 14:06:
PC sales are starting to pick up again.

Now that everyone owns a tablet and realizes they're pretty limited, they're buying PCs again.

Still looking for the limits in my Nexus 10.

I can program with it, digital art (my Wacom tablet was plug and play), read, write, etc... What are these limits I was supposed to find?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 6, 2014, 22:11 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 13:19:
As I understand it, Beats are overpriced crap. Bose are decent, and their noise cancelling is unparalleled, but there are even better sounding headphones out there like Sennheiser and B & W. Question: why do athletes who can afford anything use Beats? Is it just a fashion statement?

Because they either get them for free/paid to wear them, saw someone they admire wear them (athletes are human), or saw high price tag and assumed they were high quality.

Remember, these are athletes, not audio people. They don't have the time or desire to research a product and so go for the brand names. Its like when you see a doctor with a Mac laptop. Is it because they are smart so they use a Mac? No, it's because the doctor is smart in medicine, but more often then not know little to nothing about computers so saw the high price tag and the iMedia claims that the Mac is good. Ask a doctor with a Mac why they have it and they will most likely tell you "Because it's a Mac" and have a blank stare, because they never thought about it. The brand was the reason, that was all. They would have been just as fine with another computer but they don't have time or the interest to research a better product so allow hype to sell them what they aren't familiar with.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 17, 2014, 19:06 Kitkoan

Pigeon wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 16:20:
I suppose she could always get an MBA and go work as a bank executive. Then she could legally steal from vulnerable populations.

Stealing the iPad from the cancer patient was bad enough, but stealing a MacBook Air from the cancer patient to become a bank executive... nevermind, would be par the course for a high level bankers job.

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 15, 2014, 16:37 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 15:20:
Kitkoan wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 13:17:
descender wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 12:21:
What is going to happened to data plans and caps with moves like what T-Mobile is doing, and with the latest updates to google hangouts (free wifi calling/messaging/video chat) going global soon? Will the mobile providers finally have to let go of that part of their nickle and dime scam?

Good luck with that in many countries.

I'm in Canada where cell companies are advertising 500-750 MB a month as a huge amazing thing.

Here is Fido's newest commercial showing off their new 750MB plan... it's so pathetic. And here are their month plans. It's a sick joke.

Check out 7 11 Speakout plans.

$10 for a 100 MB, thats even worse Cutter.

Even their plans are bad. I pay these prices for Rogers already, no difference.

Sad thing is, I've been to Korea so I've seen what can be done. These plans are an so embarrassing....

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 15, 2014, 13:17 Kitkoan

descender wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 12:21:
What is going to happened to data plans and caps with moves like what T-Mobile is doing, and with the latest updates to google hangouts (free wifi calling/messaging/video chat) going global soon? Will the mobile providers finally have to let go of that part of their nickle and dime scam?

Good luck with that in many countries.

I'm in Canada where cell companies are advertising 500-750 MB a month as a huge amazing thing.

Here is Fido's newest commercial showing off their new 750MB plan... it's so pathetic. And here are their month plans. It's a sick joke.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 31, 2014, 22:42 Kitkoan

So the new OR is a Google Cardboard without the cardboard?

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 31, 2014, 21:19 Kitkoan

As is being pointed out in one forum, Maksym Pashanin's first name is "My skam" when spelt backwards...  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 15, 2014, 23:22 Kitkoan

I've never had a real name with my Google accounts (+, YouTube, etc...) and they've never said anything to me. And it's plainly obvious that it's a fake name (it's been called out many times by people). And any decent checker should have caught it for being fake.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 11, 2014, 19:03 Kitkoan

Will they have details of how to play these games one handed, to help with their sponsorships?  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
33. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 28, 2014, 18:27 Kitkoan

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 18:23:
How is this a surprise? Apple corporate policy has long been to bone consumers in the ...

On second thought, I'll leave that joke only partially outed...

Sometimes that's not a joke...

30. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 28, 2014, 18:13 Kitkoan

TangledThorns wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 17:51:
Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 17:35:
WaltC wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 15:26:
Gee, guy, take a look at anatomical charts for men and women and study up on how the human race procreates (how you got here, in other words), and you may just discover the reason homosexuality has been a deviant sexual practice in every civilization on earth since the dawn of recorded history. Long before there were churches, etc.

And yet another moron goes on ignore.

Censor much?

I wouldn't call blocking trolls as censoring.

16. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 28, 2014, 15:47 Kitkoan

WaltC wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 15:26:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 12:43:
Really? Strange, as in unexpected? In the US 30% of adults say they take the Bible literally, and believe in creationism and an earth that's less than 10,000 years old. Religion is a very influential factor. Would sexual orientation be an issue at all if the churches weren't banging that drum to their devotees?

Gee, guy, take a look at anatomical charts for men and women and study up on how the human race procreates (how you got here, in other words), and you may just discover the reason homosexuality has been a deviant sexual practice in every civilization on earth since the dawn of recorded history. Long before there were churches, etc.

And that chart would be amazing... if it wasn't for the huge fact you were trying to re-write history.

The Egyptians, Romans, Greeks, as well as many other cultures embraced homosexuality. So much for homosexuality being "a deviant sexual practice in every civilization on earth since the dawn of recorded history".

You should take a non-religious history lesson or two.

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 28, 2014, 13:17 Kitkoan

Tim Cook being gay is an open secret. Pretty much everyone knows, and even Tim danced around it in a speech a few years ago.

"Since these early days, I have seen and have experienced many types of discrimination and all of them were rooted in the fear of people that were different than the majority."

I don't think he's ever mentioned it publicly outright more as a business move then anything else. Apple already had a public image before for being "computers for gay people only" (due to their original rainbow coloured logo), and ended up changing it to the new silver logo to help avoid that image. Coming flat out openly gay would only re-ignite that public image and risk anti-gay bans on their products, and for what real gain?

News Comments > Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight
59. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 19:25 Kitkoan

Quboid wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 19:19:
Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 19:07:
They claimed that activating it would cause issues. But as many have shown, that was a total BS claim. It's not cherry picking lines when the reality shows its BS.

It has not been shown to be reliable - "many have shown" isn't necessarily good enough for these features to be in a retail release. As much as we criticise them, the Q&A testing done by Ubisoft will be much more thorough. The port was clearly rushed and by the sounds of it, it would be more playable if they'd switched off some more (but exactly what might be the trouble).

Is it really hard to believe that they did a bad job of porting it? Is it easier to believe that they made such a great port that the suits above ordered them to pull it back? I wish PC ports being too good was a problem!

If those functions were turned off for quality control, how would you have code comments like "is PC only, who cares."? That shows a contradiction of trains of thought.

57. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 19:07 Kitkoan

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 18:28:

You your OWN link, it stats that they didn't 'turn them on' due to issues and side effects, up to and including lighting issues across the entire game. Are you really going to cherry pick a link you posted instead of reading the entire thing?

BTW, Uplay does have a offline mode. You know what it keeps you from doing? Accessing the multiplayer part of the game, as if you were offline. Wow, I'm pretty sure if you were in offline mode in Steam you can't access some things like Steamworks. But then again Steam, Origin, Uplay are all forms of DRM, and considering the draconian crap Ubisoft use to offer, this is pretty good. But you REALLY want to point out that you don't have to do Uplay on a console, and previously bitched about having you information tracked, yet you're ok with using a console? Again awesome double standards dude.

Yeah Lets go ahead and use Gamespy or Games for Windows Live! Gamespy is dead, and thankfully so is Games For Windows, as the cluster fuck of downloading a game (say from Steam), then having to sign into GFWL and have to pray it was implemented correctly, download the patch (pray it worked), and restart your game.

They claimed that activating it would cause issues. But as many have shown, that was a total BS claim. It's not cherry picking lines when the reality shows its BS.

You do know you need UPlay to be running to install a game with UPlay right? And if you can't get UPlay to turn on, you are barred from your game, right? And that none of this effects the console players, just PC players, right? And Steam and Origin also have such issues with failing to load like UPlay. And I said nothing about information tracking, so please troll somewhere else about that.

And I'm sure that Ubisoft looked into the future in 2009 (when UPlay was released) saw that these things would happen in 2014. Wonderful counter argument. Quick, since foreseeing the future seems to be something you believe is a real and valid thing, what are the future winning lotto numbers?

51. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:31 Kitkoan

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:17:
Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:04:
Guessing you've missed the whole deal about the Watch Dogs being held back on PC?

Given that you can find posts from me in the comments for that article, yeah, I'm well aware of it. That article discusses extra features cut from the final game - not features present on other platforms that were cut from the PC version. The PC still has the graphics features of the other platform, plus extra. How is that unequal treatment?

Purposefully cripple product = unequal treatment. Or, as their own developers put it "is PC only, who cares."

Out of every form of DRM, online DRM has always proven the worst for customers. Issues with flaky internet, Diablo 3/SimCity/numerous other games whom severs couldn't handle the pounding, etc... Just because something can be down, doesn't mean it's the best/only option.
By all means, then, suggest a better option for protecting their investment. The last idea (protected memory regions using TPM) was shouted down.

Since you missed it the first time (and even managed to quote it but not read it...) I will repeat: Just because something can be down, doesn't mean it's the best/only option.

Steamworks also seems to be working great for many companies, and it's not always online...

And if I don't want to join such a system, I don't need to on a console. But I MUST on a PC, which again adds software that crashes and can lock me out of the product I purchased. Why is it mandatory for a PC but optional on a console? Just because they made it, doesn't mean it should be a mandatory (and problematic) need for some and a basic option for others. Also, things like GfWL, Gamespy, Steam, etc existed when UPlay was released. They didn't need to create yet another friend system, options were there.
You'd rather they used GfWL or Gamespy? And you suggest that I'M not keeping up on the latest news?

Gamespy and Steam (which I noticed you failed to read... again...) would be a better choice. GfWL was also a possible solution (didn't say the best one, nice strawman though). And since you are failing in knowing the news, UPlay has been out since 2009. Trying to use news of 2014 as your counter argument is a bit of a stretch.

42. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:10 Kitkoan

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:46:
"Consequences it might do to the market"? Oh, do go on. This should be good for a laugh. What consequence is this game going to have that aren't perfectly ameliorated by the simple procedure I described in my post (JUST DON'T BUY IT!)?

When you don't buy a game, and never voice the reasons (as you're implying) then it's up to the maker to guesswork the answer.

Maybe there isn't a market there?

Maybe the market didn't feel an acceptable price that would bring a financial return was felt too high?

Not enough marketing?

Too much marketing causing a backlash?

System requirements were set too high for minimum performance?

Wasn't released in an accessible manner?

Too much competition in the chosen genre of the PC market?

Was too different for this crowd?

Gamer base wasn't old enough/too old for this type of game?

There are many options, and if the consumer stays quiet and just votes with their wallets in silence then the problem never improves.

41. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:04 Kitkoan

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:20:
How were you "forced to have lower quality graphics at the to give better favour to the next gen console"? If I fire up Watch_Dogs on PC, set it to 1600x900, and set the in-game settings to Ultra, will it not look at least as good as the PS4?

Guessing you've missed the whole deal about the Watch Dogs being held back on PC?

For the online DRM, that's how DRM works on your platform. On the PS4 and X1, it works differently (requiring binaries signed by Sony/MS). Still DRM either way. If people hadn't raised such a fuss against TPM, then you could have the same functionality on PC.

Out of every form of DRM, online DRM has always proven the worst for customers. Issues with flaky internet, Diablo 3/SimCity/numerous other games whom severs couldn't handle the pounding, etc... Just because something can be down, doesn't mean it's the best/only option.

As for UPlay, there isn't a platform-wide system for friends lists, achievements, etc., so they wrote their own. On consoles, you still have to load and use software for those things, it's just built into the platform instead.

And if I don't want to join such a system, I don't need to on a console. But I MUST on a PC, which again adds software that crashes and can lock me out of the product I purchased. Why is it mandatory for a PC but optional on a console? Just because they made it, doesn't mean it should be a mandatory (and problematic) need for some and a basic option for others. Also, things like GfWL, Gamespy, Steam, etc existed when UPlay was released. They didn't need to create yet another friend system, options were there.

33. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 15:53 Kitkoan

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 15:25:
Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 13:58:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 13:17:
The entitlement is strong with this thread.

So, to be treated as an equal customer and not as a 3rd class citizen is now considered entitlement?

Such a shallow view you have of others.
In what way are you treated unequally from other Ubi customers?

As has already been mentioned before with the Watch Dogs, PC customers were forced to have lower quality graphics at the to give better favour to the next gen console customers. When someone patched in those settings and the game didn't become some crash-fest, it showed it wasn't a stability reason (but the comments they gave were a PR move, normal when caught).

As this article is indicating, PC users will still need to be online for the full game (if it will even run offline). Something console users again don't need to do.

UPlay is required for PC users, something that can be bypassed on consoles with no real effects in single player mode.

UPlay has issues running on Windows and can cause UPlay to crash, which can prevent your games from playing/installing: 1 2

Yep, feel like an equal by having to jump through the extra hoops... that can prevent me from enjoy the product that was paid for.

677 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo