Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant P McKinney

Real Name Grant P McKinney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2010, 09:18
Total Comments 570 (Apprentice)
User ID 56047

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch
28. Re: Op Ed Dec 3, 2013, 18:33 Asmo

For anyone considering playing a tanky character, consider doing a Sovyn's Lazy Pally build... =)

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/105920

Built around a templar using max block/strong evasion/spell block/almost immune to projectiles(most chaos dmg is projectile based)/strong armour mitigation, it requires very little in the way of unique gear, 1 cheap amulet, to make the build fully functional in merciless (and survivability is enormous).

Well worth a look for all you aspiring tanks or anyone who loved playing a zeal pally in Diablo 2.

And yeah, POE is a heap of fun although some of those end game deaths can send you back 2-3 maps worth of XP (particularly galling with desync deaths but not as bad as flushing a hard core toon).

As it's a f2p, the price is right so I advise anyone who likes ARPG's at least give it a whirl.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
37. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2013, 00:52 Asmo

Quinn wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 17:44:
"Skyrim was developed for the XBox first and foremost", really? What, because the UI was so retarded? You simply cannot claim that. Apart from the inv system, the game is an absolute jewel from the PC gamer point of view, since vanilla day one. Great visuals, great performance, great gameplay. Trust me, Skyrim is one of the few games out there that was built for the PC the moment the first brainstorm session marked it's conception.

Bullcrap.

FOV in vanilla is shocking, poor support for widescreen/surround, crappy textures etc designed for the limitations of the PS3 and XBox360.

There are 4 unofficial fix up patches which resolve most of the CTD issues (and aren't available to console users), and a number of mods which replace the junk in game textures etc with crisp clear HD ones. Completely replaced water system, weather effects etc.

I run the game with all these mods + max details + 6080x1200 surround resolution. This is only possible via mods (otherwise I'm stuck with a single monitor, shitty FOV etc). The game was not engineered for the PC because you can see the hard limits coded directly in to the game which ignore 90% of what a PC can actually do.

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2013, 00:48 Asmo

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 17:18:

I found the UI just as terrible with a controller, to be honest. It isn't the actual controlling part of the UI, but the horrendously limited amount of information it conveys, and the manner in which it does so.

Let's hope Bethesda, after making 300 hojillion dollars off the PC version of Skyrim, will put some more fucking effort into the PC version for both FO4 and ES6.

eg. Even using SkyUI + the WSGF surround fix + sorter, there is still no easy or intuitive way to figure out that you have a damn disease apart from the fact your carry weight has dropped dramatically...

A simple character pane with a ragdoll and stats attached to it would convey all the information required, but noooooo!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
43. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2013, 17:45 Asmo

Rest easy little dog, you will be missed.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 20, 2013, 16:55 Asmo

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 14:24:
Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 13:52:
Don't hate on the push up bra. That's the best thing ever invented.

Oh Hell no. It's the most deceptive thing ever invented. It's the equivalent of stuffing your shorts.

Who needs to stuff their shorts? /innocent

And kudos to the PRoC for continuing to attempt to herd over 1bn cats...

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2013, 16:48 Asmo

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 11:46:
That's really interesting, that they like games set in Iraq more so they can shoot the shit out of some terrorists.

There goes the popular "Well, everyone in Iraq hates us and loves the insurgents" theory spouted by the more awkwardly mouthbreating tards all across the world.

I'd hazard a guess that most of the people in the world want what any of us do, safety and security and the ability to live their lives the way they want to.

Side note, I wonder how they'd cope with Spec Ops:The Line (if you haven't played it yet, I highly recommend it, one of the best story experiences I've played in a long time).

News Comments > Pandora: First Contact Trailer
3. Re: Pandora: First Contact Trailer Nov 20, 2013, 16:42 Asmo

Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 10:20:
*Really* looking forward to this. Hope it's as good as AC was, if not better. Looking good so far.

Yeah, been playing for a while now, it's a fairly excellent homage to the original AC game.

That being said, I'm finding that orbital bombardment > all currently. It's becoming a keystone research so you can nuke them before they nuke you. I've been ahead of the AI in almost every metric with triple the ground forces, high tech units etc, and in a handful of turns they bomb most of my forces in to the ground and roll in with shitty infantry to mop up...

Diplomatic options also seem a bit confused/pointless at times, but they are minor quibbles. Well worth the 30 odd bucks imo.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall (Berlin) in January
13. Re: Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall (Berlin) in January Nov 19, 2013, 16:45 Asmo

Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 16:34:
Why? 'Cause London is calling and you live by the river?

Personally I'm happy it's this because first we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin!

Bobby

It's 7.44am and waaaay to fucking early for Cohen.

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers add ShadowPlay Beta
17. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers add ShadowPlay Beta Nov 19, 2013, 16:40 Asmo

Well, anything after 314 is a non-event for my 680 SLI setup surround. Games just start to a black screen, geforce experience keeps failing updates, manually cleaning and reinstalling the 331 driver results in the same problem.

Even fucking Terraria crashes if it's not windowed (and State of Decay hard locks the system).

314, everything works fine...

New "features" are fine but not at the expense of core driver stability.

News Comments > No Wheel Support for NFS Rivals
15. Re: No Wheel Support for NFS Rivals Nov 19, 2013, 00:45 Asmo

KTR wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 00:21:
Meh, NFS is a lame series anyways. Only one I cared for was Porsche Unleashed.

+1, although I did also enjoy 3:HP (first time all my friends LAN raced against each other).

After TD:U (the one on Hawaii), NFS didn't even come close anymore.

News Comments > Fallout 4 TMed
34. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 17, 2013, 22:21 Asmo

Flak wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 14:12:
Fallout 3, while technically a mess to say the least, is one of my favorite gaming experiences in recent memory. If they can get the writing and characters improved, Fallout 4 could be a killer title.

Lets hope Bethesda has learned from their previous shortcomings.

My Fallout 3 experience:

Played through, game save was corrupted and unrecoverable right outside the final showdown.

My Fallout NV experience:

Played through, game corrupted at the zombie rocket mission (about 60 hours through, I had a lot of mods...), crashing and unrecoverable on top of Hoover Damn near the final fight.

I don't care what the f#ck they do, they need to fix the bugs first and foremost. I never had a problem with Skyrim so here's hoping, but being such a huge FO fan, those two games were soul killing, particularly since the whole experience leading to that point was so damn good...

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 17, 2013, 16:46 Asmo

*sigh* Not biting on this one (I own every X game with hundreds if not thousands of hours sunk in to em). Looks like a POS.

I don't even think ES knows how to do accessible as they've made it more screwy for everyone...

News Comments > State of Decay DLC Next Week
5. Re: State of Decay DLC Next Week Nov 17, 2013, 16:40 Asmo

I've had a lot of fun with this once I found the GUI key rebinder thing. Still a bit quirky, and the FOV is downright painful, but otherwise, the gameplay is a buttload of fun, bugs and all.

I'd really like to see some of the issues addressed before DLC starts dropping, but in a couple of months they have implemented full keys vs controller, more resolution options and the next patch should include native rebinding. As soon as they add FOV (and dare I hope, Surround support), I'll be in zombie heaven (hell?).

News Comments > World of Warplanes Takes Off
12. Re: World of Warplanes Takes Off Nov 13, 2013, 19:18 Asmo

re: War Thunder, flying stick in arcade = complete waste of time, the planes are UFO's and you have no where near the precision you need.

In historical, M+KB has an edge due to the instructor, but that's also it's greatest weakness. On an even keel, the instructor will flatten out all the little bumps like turbulence. But in combat, the instructor stops you from pulling the more extreme manouvers including stalls etc. You also have no analog control over turns which means every turn is pulling as hard on the stick as possible, then the instructor mitigates the ill effects.

The stick on the other hand gives much more accurate and predictable control, but is far far more punishing because the instructor isn't holding your hand. Try to bank turn too hard and suddenly you'll be hearing the whooshing of wind drag indicating that you've gone from aerodynamic to anchor (which is absolutely terrible for energy fighting). Of course, you can apply small amounts of change and the planes respond far better than under mouse control.

You also need to tune your stick well (there are tonnes of options) but some flight models still have the jitters which makes gunnery problematic.

In Full Realism, stick is the only way to fly. It also helps to have track IR or something similar because you need to visually identify the enemy and the in game tools for head control are pretty dodgy when paired with something like a hat control.

re: AI gunners, last time I played they will not fire on you if you are outside of 300m (that might have changed but I doubt it). It's pretty easy, when you're chasing a heavily laden bomber with all the maneuverability of a slug, to line up your shot and drop a few rounds near the cockpit from 400-500m. Of course, the pilot can take manual control and I've sent more than a few over enthusiastic pilots to their graves with a few taps in to the engine.

You also have to deal with damage models being different. eg. The Il-2m is a flying tank but the rear gunner is very poorly protected. Most Japanese fighters are flying explosions waiting to happen (no sealed fuel tanks/armour) etc etc. Some bombers have rifle calibre rear weapons, some have cannons, so pick your targets wisely... /grin

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 17:35 Asmo

jdreyer wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 14:22:
Cutter wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 14:14:
When will these places in hurricane zones start building housing designed for hurricanes, like domes where the winds can't catch onto flat surfaces. Stilt housing, etc. Building boxes on the ground in these places is ultimately a waste of resources and money.

I would say probably when these places get rich enough to afford that?

^^

And not to put too fine a point on it, but a storm like that would lay waste to a lot of the cyclone rated housing in Aus (ostensibly cat 5 rated but YMMV). After seeing some of the pictures of what Katrina did to the US, or Yasi did in Aus, second world buildings cobbled together from whatever people can lay their hands on are nothing better than ammunition for the storm.

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Trailer
11. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Trailer Nov 8, 2013, 00:35 Asmo

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 23:18:
I like how all the derps that think Path of Exile is better come in here and bag on this already. POE is such a shitfest. Typical anti blizzard idiots thinking its cool to hate the better title.

Well, since you brought it up...

It has maps (rifts) with scalable difficulty
PvP
No class restrictions on items
transmog
content patches monthly
Free
Random maps
Guilds/Clans
Crafting/enchanting

In fact, the only thing it doesn't have is a fucking AH...

Is it the best game ever made? Nope. It's still a hell of a lot of fun and the price is right.

But that's okay, you can toddle back to Blizz and they'll let you have the privelege of giving them your money while you lick their ass. Enjoy!

News Comments > Next Mass Effect Teases
15. Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 00:26 Asmo

I dunno, I'd like to see a totally unrelated character with a new slant on things added to the ME franchise.

I already know the cast and like them the way they are. Since I'm not going to have the opportunity to find out what happened to my plucky little red headed Femshep (I used the default ME1 pic for my femsheps), I honestly don't want tacked on background filler info. In the end, no matter how corny spaceboy was (really, the person in the dreams and that appeared should have at least been whoever died on Virmire), the main character managed to turn back the greatest threat the entire galaxy had ever faced... Playing crime solver Garrus or digging through ancient ruins as Tomb Raider Liara would just be anticlimactic.

A new set of characters frees them up to portray an epic story that might not be quite as epic in terms of scale and stakes at the end, but is still wonderful in it's own right.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2013, 17:12 Asmo

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 17:58:
Asmo wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 17:13:
Fuck football, SCOTCH!!! (sry, I'm Australian, in the race between booze and sport, booze wins

Srsly, if you buy one good bottle a year, throw money at Glenmorangie... =D

And if you must drink it cold, get scotch rocks (http://www.stonechilled.com/) ffs, a single malt that good should not be raped by ice cubes...

I don't know, for us laymen many expensive liquors taste so alike that spending money on a more expensive brand is futile. I worked at a bar for over a year, and I could not justify spending the type of money some of these distillers want for their product.

Had a friend whose rich aunt and uncle gave her a $200 bottle of wine for her college graduation. Her, her brother, brother's girlfriend, and I popped that bottle open, let it breath a bit, and then toasted. We all promptly spit it back out and ended up mixing this ridiculously priced wine with fruit juice to make it palatable.

Wine is like liquor, to me. I've done many wine tours, I've tasted many liquors. Some added expense usually nets you a better product, but it seems like once you go above a certain threshold you're just paying for the prestige and the taste doesn't get any better.

Case in point - My favorite tequila is Cabo. Just excellent, smooth, agave liquor. At around $40 - $50 a bottle, it seems to be the sweet spot for tequila. I've tried $100 a bottle Angel Bendito and thought it didn't taste as good.

Indeed. I picked up a 400 buck bottle of Chivas Royal Salute scotch for a mates 40th birthday and on drinking, it was good but not great (and seriously, for 400 you'd expect it to cure blindness or somesuch). And I still have a soft spot for Sam Couger bourbon even though I generally drink Makers Mark or Bookers (30 bucks vs 80+).

But Glenmorangie scotch is always a fine drink. A 'regular' bottle will run about 70-80 AUD and it is delightful, so at 150, this Elanta sounds like it might be worth investing in for a wee dram over the Christmas season...

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround
46. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 16:53 Asmo

Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 16:41:
Fantaz wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 16:26:
Sad how COD games always beat out Battlefield in terms of popularity...

I would imagine it's because of the solo vs team gameplay? You couldn't PAY me to play a team game with a bunch of unknowns on the internet, so I can see how a 'solo' MP experience (where you're by yourself against others) would be more drawing the bigger crowd.

Ah I don't have that big a problem with it (/takes blood pressure medication after an extended bout of World of Tanks on the SE Asia server), used to pub a lot in TF2 and mostly it was good fun...

re: Ghosts, I think at this point each game is just an escalating dare to see how bad they can make it while still topping their previous high water mark...

I imagine the next one will literally make you eat a piece of shit as part of the purchase agreement prior to playing...

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 17:13 Asmo

Fuck football, SCOTCH!!! (sry, I'm Australian, in the race between booze and sport, booze wins

Srsly, if you buy one good bottle a year, throw money at Glenmorangie... =D

And if you must drink it cold, get scotch rocks (http://www.stonechilled.com/) ffs, a single malt that good should not be raped by ice cubes...

570 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo