Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant P McKinney

Real Name Grant P McKinney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2010, 09:18
Total Comments 568 (Apprentice)
User ID 56047

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Defiance DLC Adds $77 Gun Kit
8. Re: Defiance DLC Adds $77 Gun Kit Mar 12, 2014, 17:43 Asmo

Longswd wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 13:17:
I uninstalled it last night actually. They are apparently entirely focused on puking out their season pass DLC obligations and doing nothing at all to fix the base game, which has serious and multitudinous issues.

I love the action oriented combat but every other aspect of the game ranges from mediocre to downright broken.

I played for about two weeks, and one of those weeks was because friends were still playing. At the time, I justified it as a move away from Firefail, but now I just think I may have had a psychotic break. What a waste of time/money this game is...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Elder Scroll Online Invites
14. Re: More Elder Scroll Online Invites Mar 11, 2014, 23:16 Asmo

This MMO does everything with a sort of "just barely competent" air about it. Nothing overtly wrong, but nothing really pulling me away from the dozen and one other things I've got going at the moment...

For me, disposable income and affording the sub isn't the problem, it's time. And I just can't justify wasting time on this boring, "also ran" production...

The other thing I've heard is that the storyline, NPC interactivity etc all pick up significantly at lvl 12-15ish and the game get's a whole lot more fun. What sort of marketing scheme is that??

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released
67. Re: Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released Mar 11, 2014, 18:19 Asmo

deqer wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 11:16:
Patch already? Wow... Do your fucking homework, developers. If you don't have a QA department to do sufficient testing before releasing your game, then perhaps you shouldn't be in the business of making games.

You do understand that the final game master is completed well prior to release, and any work they have to do after that requires a patch?

So you are essentially bitching about the devs being on the ball and continuing to fix bugs etc right up to release day.

Could you be a bigger, self righteous, entitled cunt? I doubt it, but go nuts!

News Comments > Titanfall Reviews
35. Re: Titanfall Reviews Mar 11, 2014, 00:19 Asmo

Trevellian wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 20:08:
I really don't see what you guys are all butthurt about. Thousands of people got to play the Beta on the public servers and it was fun

While ya'll are sitting here being crotchety as fuck for no good reason I'm going to enjoy the best fast paced FPS I've played (in BETA) in years. If the other 13 maps are as fun as the 2 in beta where then this game is worth what I paid for it.

I think a lot of you have forgotten that games are about fun. Not bashing a game because of who developed it or published it because some guys reviewed it on private servers. Get over it. So disappointing to read any of the comment threads on here anymore.

Define "fun"? I love competitive shooters but these days, it's all about leveling up etc, aka "grinding". This IP begs for a single player experience, instead within a month it'll be the same old same old.

Bucky wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 20:30:

QFT.

Also, if I recall correctly, the beta hit 2 million people.

Because popularity = good...

Candy Crush, 90 million players a day... Nuff said?

Look, the core gameplay is fast and fun, but for me personally, it's not lasting. I've been playing this sort of thing since Doom/Quake days, the skins change but the gameplay is essentially the same. And they've added prestige/paragon grinding to the mix right off the bat, GG...

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Mar 11, 2014, 00:12 Asmo

I'm not usually a huge fan of point and clicks (well, not since the early nineties), but the Longest Journey series is well worth a look.

Unfortunately, it's a trilogy and the 3rd game hasn't been made (and it's unsure if it will at the moment). The 2nd game has a hell of a cliff hanger so if you're a completionist, ignore the previous advice to buy...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
43. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 17:51 Asmo

avianflu wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 10:50:
PC gaming is doing rather well in the recessionary climate.

PC GAMING IS DEAD!!

Wait.. console gaming is dead? Pc good?

I'm fucking confrused...

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 9, 2014, 17:44 Asmo

Win 8 is like a car with a childs playground on the hood. It makes no sense, serves no purpose, annoys you consistently and dramatically increases your chances of catastrophic failure, but they bolted it on anyway...

What's worse is they did the same thing to server 2012... I run over 120 physical and a legion of virtual servers, and you know what's fun? Trying to find those fucking pixels in the corner of a remote terminal session...

Which is currently why all of my 2012 servers run classic shell. Is it secure to run small 3rd party apps that changes significant functionality at the OS level on production servers? Of course not, but it's a damn sight safer than the fraying sanity of an overworked sys admin pressed in to using a shitty fucking UI designed by a bunch of meth smoking, brain damaged monkeys...

/rant

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Mar 6, 2014, 17:40 Asmo

Dagnamit wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:59:
Yakubs wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:28:
Let's look back on the game in a year or more before deigning the patch a success. D3 1.0 was "fun" for a short time too.

1.0 wasn't fun. That was the problem. Also, you'll never see games with the longevity of D2 ever again. Games are just not designed to last that long. Doesn't make much business sense either. Enjoy the now! Why worry about how you'll feel in a year? I'm having fun now. I probably won't be playing in a year anyway, because there's so many games to play these days.

Games weren't designed to last that long back then either, we just didn't have a plethora of other choices, particularly not as cheaply as we do today.

I picked it up in the ROS bundle (only played the demo for 1.0 and quit before hitting level 10, atrocious) and had a ball. Got my barb to 60 (current max level) on a single playthrough of expert + 15 mins starting the master level, I have an entire stash tab full of legendaries (leveling ones, not top tier) and more lewt than I can poke a stick (or a 2H axe) at. It's fast, fun, I enjoy the storyline (despite the fucking demons endless monologues) and I'm looking forward to the crusader (I had a ridiculously unkillable hardcore pally in D2, my fave class) so it's money well spent at this point.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2014, 18:58 Asmo

nin wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:11:
Would have given anything to see the A-10s notorious machine gun shred something in person.

I would prefer to be very far away from where the fire is occurring..

(near miss on UK soldiers from an A10 strafing run)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoS_tV_GGA8

As for Baldwin, there is a part of me that is actually sympathetic towards the guy. I don't envy the famous, for all their wealth etc, one iota. I've done more than a few things I'm not proud of, but most of us have the luck to not have those moments displayed in the most salacious and context free way possible. The media doesn't care about the truth, it just creates idols or monsters to use for it's own ends.

I'm sure the guy is no saint, but I don't think he's nearly as bad as he has been made out.

News Comments > THIEF Reviews
66. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 16:58 Asmo

The biggest problem I see with the game is that it is using an old and cherished IP as it's foot in the door, then leaving behind everything else that made that IP so iconic...

Thief would probably be a decent game in it's own right if we didn't have the baggage that tells us it could have been so much better (and probably far less popular with the younger generation aka "makes a lot less money").

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Feb 19, 2014, 22:51 Asmo

jdreyer wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 20:49:
Defender's Quest is a great little narrative-based tower defense game that runs great on a laptop. I put in a good 40 hours or so into it last year. Recommended if you're looking for a little game like that. It even got me to overcome my hatred of 8 bit graphics.

Likewise, quite fun little title.

Picked up Drox Operative and it's kinda like Diablo meets Spaz meets Master of Orion. Very fun but the slow pace of your early ships (until you upgrade your engines) can be torturous.

News Comments > Starbound Patch Issue and Hotfixes
11. Re: Starbound Patch Issue and Hotfixes Feb 19, 2014, 16:52 Asmo

Eh, it's early access and there are plenty of warnings about problems.

Incidentally, try the Mass Effect and Industrialisation mods, they really pick up the game significantly. Now if only they'd put in the working AI for all the bosses (currently only Dreadwing has a working boss fight AI vs reusing standard mob logic).

News Comments > New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers
1. Re: New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers Feb 18, 2014, 22:14 Asmo

I don't f#cking care about minor performance gains nVidia, I want you to put back in the simple winkey+p shortcuts to swap surround to single screen and back rather than your bullshit "oh look, we put in a hotkey that doesn't f#cking work" system...

News Comments > Goat Simulator Now a Real Thing
17. Re: Goat Simulator Now a Real Thing Feb 12, 2014, 00:36 Asmo

This looks like fun purely for the sheer ridiculousness of it all...  

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
28. Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 17:05 Asmo

TESO is junk, pure and simple. It's combat is clunky as hell, the graphics/animations etc wouldn't give Rift a run for it's money when it came out, it's quest system is shallow and dodgy to boot, the crafting system is not well explained (most common question in chat "How you get iron ore bars?".

It's voiced for the most part (we all remember what happened to SWTOR) which is kinda immersive, but it's lost the soul (and the arrow to the knee) of the TES games.

Classic example of the retarded nature of the game, completing a quest with another person in the group nearby does not complete the quest for them, so the whole party has to wait on respawns for the lot of you to complete the quest...

I didn't think that was even a thing anymore...

Very disappointed considering how much lore/environment etc they had at their fingertips.

News Comments > Rabbids Film Plans
5. Re: Rabbids Film Plans Feb 10, 2014, 16:52 Asmo

The "rabbids" (known in France as Les Lapins Cretins... /lol) used to be the bad guys in the Rayman games, and eventually managed to somehow be popular enough (with who eludes me, but I digress) to justify not only their own games but an expansion in to other media...

I'm guessing someones trying to make them in to the new minions (Despicable Me) or similar, where the sidekicks are more popular than the main characters...

The rabbids games always came across as trite/crappy to me, but /shrug.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials - WoW at 7.8M Subscribers
5. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials - WoW at 7.8M Subscribers Feb 7, 2014, 00:32 Asmo

MOP was fun, but most of the reason I went back was because a couple of friends were curious and dragged me along.

It was weird. There's a lot of shortcuts built in now to speed up not only main leveling but alts, epic island (Timelost or w/e the fuck it is) can give you damn good gear for very little effort, LFR is faceroll for even the mildly competent, so even a solo player can see everything and end up dripping in purples + (ffs) the legendary cloak if they are willing to put in the runs...

We'll probably do the same thing for warlords, but we're all fairly comfortable that we won't hang around if we don't like it. It usually happens within a week, we just all lose interest at the same time.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Feb 5, 2014, 23:04 Asmo

FOOK EN JAY ZUS!

Very expressive people... =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD-xxoQwOo4

Ah, me old Oi'rish grandmother would be smoyling in her grave!

News Comments > On Starbound Mods & Chucklefish's Next Game
7. Re: removed Feb 5, 2014, 18:27 Asmo

If you have got Starbound, I highly recommend the Mass Effect mod, which is a TC, changing the ship to the Normandy and adding sound/music/craftables/biotic abilities etc from ME.

Really the same game but the mod guys put a hell of a lot of work in.

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Jan 30, 2014, 23:34 Asmo

Just a tip for Amalur if you happen to be an ESDF player, the keys will only bind in a certain order (EFDS iirc but it's definitely a sequence like that), otherwise it'll start randomly unbinding keys.

Good game and quite enjoyable once you get your head in to it, but that bug almost made me stop before I started...

568 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo