Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant P McKinney

Real Name Grant P McKinney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2010, 09:18
Total Comments 544 (Apprentice)
User ID 56047

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2014, 17:20 Asmo

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 16:26:
Julio wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 14:53:

I'm thinking Windows 9 might be the end of every other Windows release being ok. Prediction: They'll stick with Metro/Big Icons/Walled Garden
Apparently next release of Win8 restores the start menu fully, though that's rumor mill. Though the rumor mill was right about 8.1 bringing back the start button.

Fuck M$, http://www.classicshell.net/ works perfectly (I use it on Server 2012 boxes because remoting 4 sessions trying to deal with Metro = /wrists...).

But 9 will be the next Win 7 following MS's run of even OS = bad, odd OS = good...

8 bad, 7 good, vista bad, xp good, ME bad, 98 good (well, better than ME).

Works well for me because I only upgrade OS every other generation (although cost isn't really an issue because we have a 5k seat MAK key issued for our 1.2k seat organisation *grin*).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Darkout Patch
2. Re: Darkout Patch Dec 23, 2013, 18:40 Asmo

JaguarUSF wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 16:30:
Here is my video review of Darkout. I feel that Starbound is a lot better.

Yeah, despite the graphic enhancements, the crafting system is fucking god awful (ie. sliders are almost unmanageable for crafting small batches of things).

There's a lot to like about the game but it's hiding behind some really basic technical flaws in the UI, introduction and execution that make it really hard to recommend this game.

News Comments > CONSORTIUM Next Month
3. Re: CONSORTIUM Next Month Dec 19, 2013, 19:30 Asmo

Valve: "Please don't release a new game during our attempts to sell Left4Dead 2 kthx..."  

News Comments > South Park: The Stick of Truth Australian Censorship Explained
17. Re: South Park: The Stick of Truth Australian Censorship Explained Dec 18, 2013, 17:07 Asmo

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 12:01:
Australians whining about this need to do a value check.

Umm...

Australian's aren't whining about this. It's pretty fair to say that about 97% of Australian's don't even know this game exists...

The problem is, we have a number of ultra conservative states (South Australia particularly, but Queensland isn't far behind it) and it has had an effect on the rating laws for years.

eg. the SA attorney general basically blocked an R18 rating for games for the better part of a decade...

Most Australians either support things like gay marriage, abortion, voluntary euthanasia, surrogacy etc, or just don't give a shit either way. But even our major left wing party is still ruled by right wingers and most of our state/federal government structure is fairly conservative...

And because it's a game, kids might see it so ya know, THINK OF THE CHILDREN /Lovejoy!!

It's changing slowly as some of these old twunts running the show die off.

And if I had to guess, the scene was removed because a child was having something shoved up it's butt, nothing to do with homosexuality. Despite "Cartman's Anal Probe" being screened sans any sort of rating for years, or that episode where Cartman gives Ben Affleck a handjob pretending his hand puppet is JLo.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Lawsuit
63. Re: Battlefield 4 Lawsuit Dec 18, 2013, 16:57 Asmo

This lawsuit is actually a "very good thing". (airquotes!)

At it's core, it's about whether the stockholders were mislead by the predictions of the company. They shipped a product which was lousy with bugs that most likely had an effect on sales. They (Dice at least) knew about these bugs, and it's probable that EA knew about them as well unless Dice was keeping it off the radar. Remember the beta period where a lot of bugs were found/reported but weren't fixed when they went live?

And of course the burden of proof for a civil suit is much lower than a criminal suit.

If it succeeds, it puts companies on notice that products rushed out the door without due attention to Q&A could come back to bite them in the ass where they actually care about, the bottom line.

Of course, no one cares about the gamers that were bitten, but the side effect should be games that are kept in the oven until they are properly done (or more early access plans, caveat emptor) so that it doesn't happen again.

And if it doesn't work, we get to enjoy watching EA and it's shareholders tearing pieces out of each other. Win/win.

News Comments > South Park: The Stick of Truth Censored for Australia
16. Re: South Park: The Stick of Truth Censored for Australia Dec 17, 2013, 17:37 Asmo

jdreyer wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 12:30:
Good job, Australia. You're proving the point that South Park made 15 years ago with Bigger, Longer, Uncut: violence is okay, but naughty language is bad, bad, bad!

Ironically that movie was not censored or altered for Australian screening and was released as MA15+.

So 15 year olds can go see the South Park movie with their olds (mind you, there were kids as young as 5ish at the first screening I attended), but even adults can't handle the game.. X D

Oh, and re: pissing matches between countries, Creston, you're seriously getting your brag on because of a few censored/banned games?

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Dec 16, 2013, 22:19 Asmo

I can mention them both in one sentence...

"If they did a movie mashup of The Godfather and The Mask, it would still be more coherent and suck less than Avatar"

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Patched
14. Re: Battlefield 4 Patched Dec 16, 2013, 22:14 Asmo

PHJF wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 21:50:
Made NVidia 331.82 or later driver versions mandatory for all players.

Seriously? Nobody going to say anything about this?

I would if I cared/had bought the POS...

Everything after 314 is unstable for me, even just the core driver without that shadowplay or w/e it's called. SLI support being screwed is just the sloppy shit icing on the triple fecal cake.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Alpha for Backers
25. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha for Backers Dec 12, 2013, 19:28 Asmo

saluk wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 17:22:
They beat the star citizen alpha. Unless you count hanger lolz. i remember back in the kickstarters SC seemed like the sure bet, and ED seemed like a big hail mary.

Funny how times change.

Is it important to race to be the first or to produce a quality product?

SC has a much greater scope, it's pretty understandable how it would be longer in development.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
49. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2013, 16:40 Asmo

InBlack wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 10:34:
NegaDeath wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 10:24:
"Man Commits Suicide in Mall After Girlfriend Refuses to Stop Shopping."

Women, amiright fellas!?

The guy did the only rational thing left for him to do. He saved himself.

And just to think, this senseless death could have been avoided by building a sports bar next to the change rooms...

Irt Doom, I remember buying Knee Deep in Dead off a software vending machine at a video rental shop. 2x 3.5 inch floppy discs + 4 dollars Australian... =)

News Comments > No Man's Sky Revealed
37. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 22:31 Asmo

DangerDog wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 17:34:
dj LiTh wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 16:24:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 15:26:
Looks extremely cool, but it's way too big of a project for some indie devs.

As opposed to what Star Citizen dev's that have almost nothing to show for it other then a hanger that a 10 year old kid could write?

They didn't even write it, just some 3D assets tossed into CryEngine.

Meanwhile you have things like this and the progress on Elite Dangerous that shows real promise.

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9075

The funny thing was that at the time of the KS, people were panning Braben/Elite as "What have they done recently?" and how the KS was pretty barebones whereas SC had all sorts of flashy stuff going on.

I still have faith that SC is going to be a great game (I'm not one of those people who have thrown thousands of dollars at it though), but I wish all of them the best.

As for NMS, it looks phenomenal. I've always had a desire to have a seamless transition between FPS on the planet to intergalactic scale since playing Elite:Frontier, looks like it's finally coming true... =)

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Darkout
5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Darkout Dec 5, 2013, 00:23 Asmo

Slashman wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 19:53:
Starforge is still in early access beta though...

And it plays like junk. 7 Days to Die is far superior at this point, and that's saying something...

News Comments > Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming?
53. Re: Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming? Dec 4, 2013, 17:51 Asmo

BitWraith wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 11:33:
I guess I just don't get it. I have been using Windows 8 since launch, and I don't see where all the hate is coming from. Windows 8 hasn't limited my interactions with applications at all. I still run steam, still play my old games, still play indie games. The App store is there - I grabbed a few free apps, but otherwise I ignore it. Since I use my living room TV as a monitor, Metro has been a good thing for readability at 1080p.

I just don't get it.

Which is all fine and well for you. I don't mean that as an insult, just an outright statement of fact.

http://www.classicshell.net/ provide a completely functional Win 7 start menu + other app tweaks that makes my 2012 servers at work (almost exclusively run via RDP console) bearable. Trying to find that patch of fucking pixels in the corner of a remote window (not full screen) is an exercise in added frustration that just isn't necessary.

Why couldn't MS just add a toggle that says:

Would you like your desktop to use a flat basic start menu UI or Metro tiles?

That way, you can have your tiles and I can have my easy to navigate/easy to use servers for those annoying and repetitive jobs where I want to spend as little time as possible navigating a touch screen UI on a 30 inch non touchscreen lcd...

This ain't soup nazi-ism, everyone can have what they want/need, MS just chooses to be a pack of twunts and make it out like it's an all or nothing proposal.

Although, I'll be pleased as fucking punch if the let PC gamers finally "converge" with console players in FPS... I used to have a bunch of fun using one of those clunky mouse controllers on the PS3 (splitfish or something) to smash flat controller users, playing with native PC controls vs controllers (even if the controllers have some autoaim assist) would be a slaughter...=)

News Comments > More Battlefield 4 Issues
18. Re: More Battlefield 4 Issues Dec 4, 2013, 16:45 Asmo

Just lol...  

News Comments > Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch
28. Re: Op Ed Dec 3, 2013, 18:33 Asmo

For anyone considering playing a tanky character, consider doing a Sovyn's Lazy Pally build... =)

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/105920

Built around a templar using max block/strong evasion/spell block/almost immune to projectiles(most chaos dmg is projectile based)/strong armour mitigation, it requires very little in the way of unique gear, 1 cheap amulet, to make the build fully functional in merciless (and survivability is enormous).

Well worth a look for all you aspiring tanks or anyone who loved playing a zeal pally in Diablo 2.

And yeah, POE is a heap of fun although some of those end game deaths can send you back 2-3 maps worth of XP (particularly galling with desync deaths but not as bad as flushing a hard core toon).

As it's a f2p, the price is right so I advise anyone who likes ARPG's at least give it a whirl.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
37. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2013, 00:52 Asmo

Quinn wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 17:44:
"Skyrim was developed for the XBox first and foremost", really? What, because the UI was so retarded? You simply cannot claim that. Apart from the inv system, the game is an absolute jewel from the PC gamer point of view, since vanilla day one. Great visuals, great performance, great gameplay. Trust me, Skyrim is one of the few games out there that was built for the PC the moment the first brainstorm session marked it's conception.

Bullcrap.

FOV in vanilla is shocking, poor support for widescreen/surround, crappy textures etc designed for the limitations of the PS3 and XBox360.

There are 4 unofficial fix up patches which resolve most of the CTD issues (and aren't available to console users), and a number of mods which replace the junk in game textures etc with crisp clear HD ones. Completely replaced water system, weather effects etc.

I run the game with all these mods + max details + 6080x1200 surround resolution. This is only possible via mods (otherwise I'm stuck with a single monitor, shitty FOV etc). The game was not engineered for the PC because you can see the hard limits coded directly in to the game which ignore 90% of what a PC can actually do.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
36. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2013, 00:48 Asmo

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 17:18:

I found the UI just as terrible with a controller, to be honest. It isn't the actual controlling part of the UI, but the horrendously limited amount of information it conveys, and the manner in which it does so.

Let's hope Bethesda, after making 300 hojillion dollars off the PC version of Skyrim, will put some more fucking effort into the PC version for both FO4 and ES6.

eg. Even using SkyUI + the WSGF surround fix + sorter, there is still no easy or intuitive way to figure out that you have a damn disease apart from the fact your carry weight has dropped dramatically...

A simple character pane with a ragdoll and stats attached to it would convey all the information required, but noooooo!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
43. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2013, 17:45 Asmo

Rest easy little dog, you will be missed.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 20, 2013, 16:55 Asmo

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 14:24:
Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 13:52:
Don't hate on the push up bra. That's the best thing ever invented.

Oh Hell no. It's the most deceptive thing ever invented. It's the equivalent of stuffing your shorts.

Who needs to stuff their shorts? /innocent

And kudos to the PRoC for continuing to attempt to herd over 1bn cats...

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2013, 16:48 Asmo

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 11:46:
That's really interesting, that they like games set in Iraq more so they can shoot the shit out of some terrorists.

There goes the popular "Well, everyone in Iraq hates us and loves the insurgents" theory spouted by the more awkwardly mouthbreating tards all across the world.

I'd hazard a guess that most of the people in the world want what any of us do, safety and security and the ability to live their lives the way they want to.

Side note, I wonder how they'd cope with Spec Ops:The Line (if you haven't played it yet, I highly recommend it, one of the best story experiences I've played in a long time).

544 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo